Forum Settings
Forums

TV Anime 'Dagashi Kashi' Receives Second Season [Update 8/9]

New
Aug 3, 2017 9:08 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
The 37th and 38th combined issue of Kodansha's Weekly Shounen Sunday magazine has announced that the TV anime adaptation of Dagashi Kashi manga will receive a second season. The anime is slated to broadcast on TBS in 2018. The staff for the second season has also been revealed. The studio that handled the first season of the anime, feel., will cooperate with the sequel's new production studio. The issue goes on sale on August 9.

Staff
Director: Satoshi Kuwahara (Yu☆Gi☆Oh! Zexal)
Series Composition: Mayumi Morita (Vampire Knight script)
Character Design: Nana Miura (Young Black Jack)
Studio: Tezuka Productions

Dagashi Kashi is drawn by Kotoyama and has been serialized in Weekly Shounen Sunday since June 2014. The manga currently has seven compiled volumes in print, with the eight volume to be released on August 10. The series inspired a 12-episode TV anime adaptation by studio feel. in Winter 2016. Funimation licensed the anime for North American distribution and released the series on a Blu-ray and DVD volume on April 18.

Source: Otakomu

Update August 9
The official website for Dagashi Kashi 2 has opened and revealed additional staff members as well as a teaser PV.

Script: Michiko Yokote (Shinryaku! Ika Musume)
Chief Animation Director:Akemi Kobayashi (Shin Shirayuki-hime Densetsu Prétear)
Art Setting: Minoru Nishida (Warau Salesman New art director), Mariko Iwaki (Idol Memories)
Art Director: Masato Shibata (Mokke)
Color Setting: Yumi Yuya (Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season)
Director of Photography: Junya Kodama (IS: Infinite Stratos 2 - World Purge-hen)
Editing: Tamami Watanabe (Young Black Jack)
Sound Production: Pony Canyon Enterprise

Teaser

Official site: http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/dagashi/

Source: Moca News

Dagashi Kashi 2nd Season on MAL
tsubasaloverAug 8, 2017 7:57 PM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 3, 2017 9:10 PM

Nov 2011
I'm happy about this. First season has me entertained and they can make this work as I think there's plenty of materials left to adapt.
Aug 3, 2017 9:11 PM

Jun 2012
I didnt expect this to happen lol, cant wait for moar candy info and tiddies
Aug 3, 2017 9:12 PM

Apr 2014
That key visual looks awful. Her design was the only good part of season 1.
Aug 3, 2017 9:12 PM

Mar 2015
as long it's not as boredom as first season, that should be great... 30 minutes is too much... i would love if it short... love the original source, but anime? not soo much...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 3, 2017 9:13 PM
Jul 2018
Yay! More Dagashi Kashi <3 I just wish that Kodansha will license the manga and everything will be perfect. I can't wait for Hajime Owari's (the one on the right) seiyuu~
Aug 3, 2017 9:15 PM

Jan 2011
Nice, not a bad show. Really though this makes me excited for more fanart and doujins.
Aug 3, 2017 9:16 PM
Jul 2018
It's understandable why they made the change of the director since the guy is working for Kekkai Sensen S2. But I'm kinda skeptical for the director selection since he's the same dude that made the trainwreck also known as Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal (and that entry killed my interest in the franchise overall).

Don't really get the change for the studio and I don't get the change of the other two but alright then I suppose. Man.

I think as long as the show is at least still entertaining for what it was showing I'm good then.
Aug 3, 2017 9:16 PM

Nov 2008
There are some miracles going on as this is another anime that didn't sell too well and still getting a S2.

Aug 3, 2017 9:21 PM

Jun 2015
I have mixed opinions on the new character designs. One one hand, they look more laid-back, which fits the show. On the other hand, they don't look as sexy, which doesn't fit the show.
Aug 3, 2017 9:37 PM
Feb 2016
the absolute madmen!, how is tezuka doing this btw?
Aug 3, 2017 9:40 PM

Aug 2013
If that visual is anything to go by, I'm going to end up extremely fucking disappointed.

I know the show got a lot of flak from MAL viewers for being boring and whatnot. But I can appreciate that Doga Kobo was able to adapt the individual chapters very accurately, and on top of it add a lot of character development and interactions not present in the manga in order to stretch out the episodes and make them standard length. Especially considering the chapters are like 8 pages.

The other thing I appreciate even more, is that the character designs were a damn near clone of the manga. Every single character looked exactly how the author depicted them. And that was especially true for Hotaru: big boobs, light purple hair, and light blue eyes with lots of crazy circles in them. That's how she was drawn, and those were the colors she was given whenever the manga had a colored illustration.

Then you look at this fucking visual Darker blue-ish/violet hair, almost indigo looking, and even darker indigo generic, non-crazy dead eyes. That alone almost kills it for me. If that's how they're drawing the poster character of the series who's the craziest and most expressive...I cant imagine how they're going to draw everyone else. Fucking why not give Kokonatsu light brown hair and Saya red hair at this point? I'm even amazed the author even gave his seal of approval on the character designs after they look so drastically different from Doga Kobos.

Then throw in a studio who's key golden age peaked in the 80's and 90's and hasn't done a single show I give a shit about, along with a director who's barely directed anything, and what he has directed was shit...and this is basically set up as a recipe for disaster.

And as for people questioning why it's getting a second season.
1. The BD sales were at least ok. Nothing crazy, and if it were the only criteria it probably wouldn't get a second season.
2. It gave the manga a massive sales boost. Like...a lot.
3. The show (and the boosted manga) were actually well received and popular, which led to the series doing a lot of promos and collaborations with actual Dagashi. So it got loads of attention and marketing, which I'm sure also raked in money for both the committee and the Dagashi makers.
Aug 3, 2017 9:40 PM

Sep 2014
That's a surprise. I thought anime sales flopped hard. Manga sales must be killer since they're making a new season.

The character designs look really bland though, Hotaru looked great in the first season, probably the only redeeming factor of the first season.
Aug 3, 2017 9:42 PM
Jul 2015
YESSSSS LETS GOOOOOOOO :)))
Aug 3, 2017 9:44 PM
Jul 2018
Jonesy974 said:
If that visual is anything to go by, I'm going to end up extremely fucking disappointed.

I know the show got a lot of flak from MAL viewers for being boring and whatnot. But I can appreciate that Doga Kobo was able to adapt the individual chapters very accurately, and on top of it add a lot of character development and interactions not present in the manga in order to stretch out the episodes and make them standard length. Especially considering the chapters are like 8 pages.

The other thing I appreciate even more, is that the character designs were a damn near clone of the manga. Every single character looked exactly how the author depicted them. And that was especially true for Hotaru: big boobs, light purple hair, and light blue eyes with lots of crazy circles in them. That's how she was drawn, and those were the colors she was given whenever the manga had a colored illustration.

Then you look at this fucking visual Darker blue-ish/violet hair, almost indigo looking, and even darker indigo generic, non-crazy dead eyes. That alone almost kills it for me. If that's how they're drawing the poster character of the series who's the craziest and most expressive...I cant imagine how they're going to draw everyone else. Fucking why not give Kokonatsu light brown hair and Saya red hair at this point? I'm even amazed the author even gave his seal of approval on the character designs after they look so drastically different from Doga Kobos.

Then throw in a studio who's key golden age peaked in the 80's and 90's and hasn't done a single show I give a shit about, along with a director who's barely directed anything, and what he has directed was shit...and this is basically set up as a recipe for disaster.

1. The BD sales were at least ok. Nothing crazy, and if it were the only criteria it probably wouldn't get a second season.
3. The show (and the boosted manga) were actually well received and popular, which led to the series doing a lot of promos and collaborations with actual Dagashi. So it got loads of attention and marketing, which I'm sure also raked in money for both the committee and the Dagashi makers.

Pretty sure you made a Typo but Doga Kobo didn't made S1. Feel made S1.
Aug 3, 2017 9:54 PM

Nov 2014
Very unexpected. I doubt I'll watch it tho. First season was boring for me :/
Aug 3, 2017 10:15 PM

Aug 2013
Wasshio said:
Jonesy974 said:

Oh shit, you're right. I was reading something else before this and just totally kept that in my head when I typed that out, lmao.
Aug 3, 2017 10:18 PM
Jul 2018
Jonesy974 said:
Wasshio said:

Oh shit, you're right. I was reading something else before this and just totally kept that in my head when I typed that out, lmao.

Lmao I see I see, no worries then. It happens a lot but yeah you MIGHT next to fix that a bit here. xD But it's cool though :P
Aug 3, 2017 10:34 PM

Aug 2013
Wasshio said:
Jonesy974 said:

Lmao I see I see, no worries then. It happens a lot but yeah you MIGHT next to fix that a bit here. xD But it's cool though :P

Eh, I'm not gonna bother. If people see your reply they'll know where the mistake was. Plus it doesn't really change the overall message. I think it would be weirder if I corrected it and then they see your reply correcting me when it's already fixed, lol.
Aug 3, 2017 10:42 PM

Jul 2013
Well, that was unexpected. At first sight, I don't like the new designs, though, they doesn't look as wacky as the ones of the previous season, and that was what made the anime good, soooo...
Aug 3, 2017 11:07 PM

Apr 2017
Ramune.... Ramune... Ramune... :D

--When this got announced all I think about is CANDYY Treat..-- WOOT

>Well I kinda like their simple satirical gimmick

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Aug 3, 2017 11:12 PM

Sep 2013
That design change though XD :'(
Aug 3, 2017 11:24 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
I only enjoyed the first few episodes of the first season, and then I eventually grew bored of this series until I finished it. :/ I doubt I'll pick up the second season anymore..
Aug 4, 2017 12:01 AM
うまぴょい伝説

May 2017
Great news! I really enjoyed the first season
Aug 4, 2017 12:05 AM
Jul 2018
Main Character Designs
Aug 4, 2017 12:36 AM

Jul 2012
The first season wasn't not that amazing, but it was quite enjoyable. Still didn't think there would be 2nd season and new desings look very questionable, i think i'll give it a try.
Aug 4, 2017 1:05 AM

Jan 2014
i'm in! more Ayana Taketatsu is a great welcome for me!
Aug 4, 2017 1:15 AM

Mar 2016
The first season was pretty enjoyable, it was alright. Hopefully it's a little bit better than the first season. I didn't expect it to getting a second season but I'm still very excited.

I would love to having more ramune~ ♡
ToukimonAug 4, 2017 1:22 AM
Aug 4, 2017 1:29 AM

Nov 2013
Yeah my Hotaru is back. I'm so happy because i always miss her.
Aug 4, 2017 1:33 AM

Jul 2014
First season was ridiculously boring, so I'm extremely surprised and disappointed to see this of all shows get a second season.
Aug 4, 2017 1:56 AM

Feb 2011
Seriously happy about this, I never it'd see the light of day. I really liked season 1 much than I thought I would (even after a rewatch) so definitely looking forward to this one.

...I have to say though, the character designs on the visual are not a good sign.
Aug 4, 2017 2:00 AM
Jul 2018
Lol, what a coincidence! The news came as I finished the chocolate manga.
I really liked the first season. Glad I didn't read the manga yet. Haha, can't wait See my fav characters once again!
Aug 4, 2017 2:09 AM

Apr 2016
Good news, first season was fine i'm definitely gonna watch this.

MORE Hotaru and Saya is always appreciated !
Aug 4, 2017 2:48 AM

Aug 2015
This boring anime is getting a second season but not good and entertaining anime like Hataraku maou-sama.
Aug 4, 2017 2:54 AM

Mar 2013
Eh Hotaru's character design was why I even watched S1.
The visuals are disappointing :(
Aug 4, 2017 3:37 AM
Mar 2015
Nice:)
Btw,it didnt need to have great bd/dvd sales since its main purpose is to advertise candies.
Glad it has candy company backing it.
Aug 4, 2017 4:14 AM

Jul 2014
How did something so boring get another season? Surely someone got shit taste...
Aug 4, 2017 4:37 AM

Aug 2013
yay! i really liked this show, so i can't wait to see more of it!
Aug 4, 2017 4:46 AM

Mar 2012
Hoppy said:
There are some miracles going on as this is another anime that didn't sell too well and still getting a S2.

In this case, this series is more like a promoter for japanese candy products. so it makes since it has another anime as a way to commercialize their products.
Aug 4, 2017 5:07 AM

Jan 2015
Hongu said:
That key visual looks awful. Her design was the only good part of season 1.

She looks better to me
Aug 4, 2017 5:36 AM
Jul 2018
WOW. Surprising lol. Can't wait
Aug 4, 2017 5:57 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Will totally look forward to this. I just hope it's more entertaining than the first season though tbh.
Aug 4, 2017 6:12 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
LMAO, and people thought that the incoming announcement would be confirm the manga to be ending. I'm glad it's getting a second season since it seems like I'm one of the very few people who actually enjoyed the first season.
Aug 4, 2017 6:46 AM

Jun 2016
Got excited until I saw the designs.. what happened...
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Aug 4, 2017 6:57 AM

Jul 2017
Excited for this.
shalina23Oct 29, 2017 5:13 AM
MAL has no influence on Japanese Anime/Otaku industry so Self-righteous Elitist people here are really wasting their time on writing 'Critical Reviews'.
Aug 4, 2017 8:07 AM

Nov 2011
I started the first season with zero expectations and ended up liking it a lot. The staff change makes me kinda skeptical but let's wait and see I guess...
Baby, daijobanai...
Aug 4, 2017 8:16 AM

Jan 2008
TV Anime 'Dagashi Kashi' Receives Second Season > changed character design.

First I was happy to read it. After I saw the picture of the new character design...
Now I wish 2nd season would never happened.
Aug 4, 2017 8:19 AM

Jun 2015
Hoppy said:

The TV ratings weren't bad. And ratings > BD sales
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Aug 4, 2017 8:26 AM

Feb 2016
I don't care if this is dogshit, Hotaru is waifu. The manga is pretty popular, so this isn't that surprising. New staff is a bad sign though, at least the character design was more unique in the previous one..
Aug 4, 2017 8:43 AM

May 2009
Sayashitter director is gone which is good.
madarchod said:
This boring anime is getting a second season but not good and entertaining anime like Hataraku maou-sama.

Blame Kadokawa who have nothing to do with DK.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
4 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 9 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
6 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 7 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
7 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 9 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
8 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.