Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Mar 4, 2017 10:13 AM
Mar 2017
That's because steins gate is able to produce a story SOLELY on the different variations of time and its effects, while still being really understandable and enjoyable. Other shows that bring in the concept of time travel just make viewers go 'i have no idea what's happening', but not this.
Mar 25, 2017 11:05 AM
Jan 2017
I found it really hard to get interested in this anime till eps 11. the episodes were very boring and the events were slow. I did not get the point on why it is high rated. However, after the episode 11, I enjoyed it. All of all, it is average anime.
Apr 14, 2017 3:45 AM

Nov 2015
Simply: It appeals to a huge majority of anime fans.

About the rating, it's not a typical kind of appeal like most other shows.. it's THRILLING. The plot twists/sudden revelations killed, if not you, most of us. Well, that's just my thoughts.

But anyway.. maybe because its use of sci-fi is a bit unique?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2017 12:16 AM
Apr 2017
Im new to anime so i cant compare SG to similar or popular anime. But i personally loved the story. This was by far my favorite one yet.
I loved he had close friends that accepted his weird dillusions, he built his lab up with more people he cared about, unlocked mysteries together. But it all came crashing down when his actions caused his friend to die. The battle he fought to save her, the time he took to support his friends (even the girl who was a dude) all wearing down on him. And he did it with the help of a girl he eventually loved.
Then after all that, have to sacrifice one for the other. After all that said his future self dedicated his life to correct the past so he could restart his future.

For me i got lost in it all. Engulfed by the story. Maybe because im new to anime but it was a great story. But they did a great job on making me feel how he felt through it all.
Apr 21, 2017 3:57 PM

Sep 2015
The only flaw in this anime is kurisu
Apr 21, 2017 4:21 PM

Jan 2013
Why does a piece of litmus paper turn red or blue? The way you respond to the show is different from the majority. Simple as that.

For me, I felt that the scenario was the most important factor in liking the show. It was hard to go through the first episode, but I definitely felt like I wanted to know more. That's probably what most people felt while watching. It's not a ridiculously complicated story if you take a step back from it. A man discovers a time machine, and fate conspires against him for coming in contact with a conspiracy.

The characters are very flavourful if you do not have much prior experience with modern character archetypes. Despite that, the show does not need much more than simple empathy to watch, because what you are experiencing is the thoughts and feelings of a man who managed to get himself trapped in a paradoxical situation. This is similar to stories like Death Note, where the main character is not exactly one you agree with entirely, but you still want to find out what happens in the end.

The atmosphere itself seems to have been lost on you, if you believe the tempo was a bit hot and cold. Until the midway point of the show, it was supposed to be a balance of mystery behind the experiments, with a side of innocence and naivity. The characters do some things that are very ignorant of the big picture, which adds to the realism. Think of Shinji from Evangelion, where we all want him to get into the robot, but he is responding to the situation like a realistic teenager. It's pretty much like that.

I think the ultimate deciding factor on the show is whether or not you are able to suspend your disbelief in the characters and get sucked into the atmosphere of the show. Time travel is ultimately something that cannot exist, and the original material from the VN goes at great lengths to tell you this as a way of showing you that the story is not supposed to be scrutinized by the rules of reality too much.

As a Sci;Adv fan, I see Steins;Gate for what it is. I don't really care to convince anyone to like it if they don't already. Chaos;Head and Robotics;Notes aren't well received, so it's safe to say that not everyone is going to like Steins;Gate either. If you didn't like it, that's okay.
Syrup-Apr 21, 2017 4:24 PM
Apr 21, 2017 4:33 PM
Feb 2017
it's amazing how many times this has been brought back from the dead. i still haven't finished steins gate because I haven't read all of the manga and side stories from the other divergences and to add to that, Steins;Gate 0 still hasn't came out yet which leaves this story incomplete. For now it will be on hold.
Apr 21, 2017 5:10 PM

Jan 2013
imeli said:
it's amazing how many times this has been brought back from the dead. i still haven't finished steins gate because I haven't read all of the manga and side stories from the other divergences and to add to that, Steins;Gate 0 still hasn't came out yet which leaves this story incomplete. For now it will be on hold.
The side material is largely irrelevant to Steins;Gate itself. In the first place, Steins;Gate 0 is comprised from the side stories such as the drama cds, some of the mangas, etc. One could literally only watch Steins;gate and get a complete experience. Everything else is just fluff.
Apr 22, 2017 4:23 AM

Feb 2016
imeli said:

Steins;Gate 0 already got an english release for consoles. You can even apply the translation from there onto a Japanese PC release trough a patch.
And no, the original Steins;Gate is more than enough to tell you everything you need to understand the story. Almost all other side material is non-canon, S;G and S;G 0 are the only things that matter.
Apr 22, 2017 8:11 AM
Feb 2017
Aquamirror said:
imeli said:

Steins;Gate 0 already got an english release for consoles. You can even apply the translation from there onto a Japanese PC release trough a patch.
And no, the original Steins;Gate is more than enough to tell you everything you need to understand the story. Almost all other side material is non-canon, S;G and S;G 0 are the only things that matter.

so you're telling me that "The Braunian Motion of Love and Hate", The Steins Gate OVA, The Distant Valhalla and Episode 23b aren't canon to the story? What's the point then?
Apr 22, 2017 8:42 AM

Feb 2016
imeli said:
Aquamirror said:

so you're telling me that "The Braunian Motion of Love and Hate", The Steins Gate OVA, The Distant Valhalla and Episode 23b aren't canon to the story? What's the point then?

Well, "Braunian motion" and "Distant Valhalla" are canon, as they are things that happened and are mentioned in the original story but follow Suzuha's point of view. They might provide more insight, but aren't exactly something we didn't know from the anime.
Episode 23b is Steins;Gate 0's beginning, so it's canon.
Movie and OVA are most likely not canon, as they contradict some stuff from the original story (especially the movie) and aren't made by the same authors.

Also, while Steins;Gate 0 is based on the Epigraph Trilogy, there were also a lot of retcons/changes, so the trilogy isn't considered the official canon anymore.

And there are many other alternative divergence stories that aren't linked with the main one, so they aren't canon either. They might still refer to facts that are canonically correct and known from the main story though.
Apr 23, 2017 6:30 AM
Jul 2018
The problem which I have with some of the more recent and top shows such as S;G is how the majority of viewers who have rated these shows have been watching anime for a long span of time and haven't really developed a critical stand-point on what makes an anime compelling for themselves. Many people are too fixated on satisfying the need to watch the next 'great' anime that they lose the need to criticize the anime fearing that the ratings would go under or that they're viewed as 'unintelligent'.

Shows like FMA:B are at the top due to the fact that they're using themes which help connect viewers and not presenting themes which challenge the viewer. This, mixed with the fact that there hasn't been a completed show with a unique setting in the most recent of years. In my own opinion a-lot of the MAL ratings on newer shows I've noticed are made on the primary basis of how the anime looks good or if its funny.

S;G is by no means a bad show, however, it's neither an extravaganza in the anime industry. The primary problem is that because people rate it so highly, the opinions of those who take a critical and analyzing stand-point are often destitute. As a result these people often to look for more hostile takes on a show to get a point across, an example being how people flock to ThatAnimeSnob's harsh reviews of over-hyped shows.

I personally gave S;G an 8 (Rounded 8.20) which I placed at my 10th best rated show just below Kekkai Sensen which I gave an 8.25.

Although irrelevant and egotistical but as a hobby of mine which started when I was 11 was creating stories to publish. The book which I've been working on for the last year as a hobby in my own bias is a-lot better than S;G as it explores the themes of time-travel more clearly and focuses more on time itself than the psychological consequences with a FMA feel of antagonists to it.
Jul 31, 2017 4:21 PM

Nov 2016
Dragon ball Z time traveling arc thing with Trunks had the same kind of mindfuck and science as Steins Gate.
CPU: i7 6700 | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM: 16GB | HD: 1TB | Moderators are mean! | D. Gray Man Hallow is UNDERRATED!

Jul 31, 2017 4:22 PM

Feb 2015
Wanted to low-key argue, but when I read " the same kind of mindfuck and science" as DBZ you just got me sighing.
Jul 31, 2017 4:23 PM

Oct 2013
eh well both series are highly regarded so saying DBZ had it is relevant how?
Aren't most time travel series highly regarded on MAL now that I think about it
Jul 31, 2017 4:26 PM

Mar 2015
you're questioning a lot of things today. Steins;Gate is a masterpiece only intellectuals understand.

yeehaw
Jul 31, 2017 4:28 PM

Nov 2016
People call me a pleb, but I completely understood it them paradoxes tho.
CPU: i7 6700 | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM: 16GB | HD: 1TB | Moderators are mean! | D. Gray Man Hallow is UNDERRATED!

Jul 31, 2017 4:29 PM

Jul 2015
Is popular because of the red haired tsundere
Like toradora popular because of taiga
Jul 31, 2017 4:30 PM

Apr 2017
PO1SON said:
you're questioning a lot of things today. Steins;Gate is a masterpiece only intellectuals understand.
Not really. Any idiot with the command of the English language can
Jul 31, 2017 4:32 PM

Apr 2017
tragedydesu said:
I normally hate tsunderes but the red head is quite good. She's not abusive like the other bitches

PS Taiga is shit
Jul 31, 2017 4:32 PM

Jan 2016
That red haired bitch made people wet, also well umm everything is garbage and overrated these days
Jul 31, 2017 4:34 PM

Apr 2014
I don't know. I once watched till episode 9 and then dropped it.
I can't remember why since it's been longer than a year. Might try it again sometime soon..?
A stupid thread deserves a stupid answer!
Jul 31, 2017 4:40 PM

Jan 2014
PO1SON said:

what?
you don't have to be intellectual to understand steins;gate.
you'd need to be a complete brain dead retard to NOT understand it, everything is explained in anime itself.
Jul 31, 2017 4:44 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
PO1SON said:

This, I don't care what anyone else says. I mean, it is easy to understand but still, this is the truth right here. That and drinking Dr.P of course.
Jul 31, 2017 4:45 PM
Jul 2018
Deknijff said:
Not really, at least not on a "critical" level. When it comes to time travel I only hear people praise S;G. Sure thing there are other shows that include time travel in some form but mostly people talk about other aspects rather than the tie travel itself. See re;zero for example, no one is talking about the (kinda)time travel in the show. Most people argue who the better waifu is. Other anime with time travel, ehh, Erased, I dunno about that one tbh, the only reoccurring thing in erased debates I noticed is Digibro but I doubt that counts for anything.
Jul 31, 2017 4:47 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I really want to nut inside of Mayuri honestly

Jul 31, 2017 4:49 PM

Mar 2016
It's not the same! The way time travel was handlled in Steins;Gate was brilliant! He made what other anime and american series did wrong like parallel earth and mental breakdowns!
If you want other good anime about time travel watch Re:Zero. It's more harcore about the time travel and mental breakdowns but has some flaws along the way that made in not as much enjoyable as Steins;Gate.

In Dragon Ball Z, the Future Trunks Arc or Cell Arc or whatever, they made a mix of jumping between parallel earths with time travel but it's wasn't even at the level of Steins;Gate due to the different objectives of both series.
Jul 31, 2017 4:51 PM

Apr 2016
tragedydesu said:

t's not just because of that. But she is best girl in the show. I know you hate tsunderes, but she isn't abusive like Taiga, Louise or majority of today's tsunderes.
Jul 31, 2017 4:53 PM

Apr 2016
To simply put it. Steins;Gate is time travel done right.
Jul 31, 2017 4:54 PM
Jan 2013
It's not that retarded, only the tuturu girl is
gone bai bai
Jul 31, 2017 4:55 PM

May 2015
Darek said:
Deknijff said:
Not really, at least not on a "critical" level. When it comes to time travel I only hear people praise S;G. Sure thing there are other shows that include time travel in some form but mostly people talk about other aspects rather than the tie travel itself. See re;zero for example, no one is talking about the (kinda)time travel in the show. Most people argue who the better waifu is. Other anime with time travel, ehh, Erased, I dunno about that one tbh, the only reoccurring thing in erased debates I noticed is Digibro but I doubt that counts for anything.
In Erased they debate between the childhood friend that cucked him and the contemporary girl that got the development of their relation cut pretty hard in the anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 31, 2017 5:00 PM

Jul 2015
Vlad4o said:
To simply put it. Steins;Gate is time travel done right.

Time travel done right. I can't say better than that.

The "Red Hair" girl is just a bonus.

Jul 31, 2017 5:00 PM
Jul 2018
zal said:
Darek said:
In Erased they debate between the childhood friend that cucked him and the contemporary girl that got the development of their relation cut pretty hard in the anime.
So waifu wars again. I really can't think of any time travel anime praised for the time travel (aside from S;g obviously, tho that one has waifu wars too), partially because I do not recall many popular ones that even do that. Whether I seen them or not.
Jul 31, 2017 5:01 PM

Aug 2010
Chikipichi said:
Dragon ball Z time traveling arc thing with Trunks had the same kind of mindfuck and science as Steins Gate.

I love this statement with all my heart.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

more seriousness note. The reason we like dbz and steins gate has nothing to do with them involving time travel. Time travel doesn't even make sense in either series.
DBZ is the actionfest of a generation, steins gate is really about the protagonist, his relationships and the mystery at hand.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jul 31, 2017 5:02 PM

Jul 2016
Dunno, the first and second half of the anime are completely different levels of entertainment. I considered not finishing because the early anime was so slow but the plot decided to happen at episode 14.

Also Kurisu is in it, so I can't hate it.
Jul 31, 2017 5:09 PM

May 2016
Because it's well-made, well-directed, well-written, and all-around entertaining as fuck, maybe?

P.S. Mayuri is best girl.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jul 31, 2017 5:09 PM

Nov 2016
Hmm the plot picked up for me at ep 5 this anime really did have a very slow start tho.

Jul 31, 2017 5:13 PM

May 2015
Darek said:
zal said:
So waifu wars again. I really can't think of any time travel anime praised for the time travel (aside from S;g obviously, tho that one has waifu wars too), partially because I do not recall many popular ones that even do that. Whether I seen them or not.
Personally I wouldn't even praise S;G's time travel as it was more about being convenient in an enjoyable way than actually believable (like many other shows with time travel, not only anime) but Erased's time travel is one of the worst ones I've ever seen.
zalJul 31, 2017 5:19 PM
Jul 31, 2017 5:24 PM

Dec 2016
I don't know either.

Contrary to what most people who saw it felt, I found the first half really interesting, captivating and hooking. It had an amazing worldbuilding. I was hoping for some big time-travel mess involving this future authoritarian world-dominant organization, but in the end it was all about a immature guy refusing to accept the consequences of messing with time and playing his mad-scientist games. It was so expectation-subversive.

In the process, this made many of the presented characters in the beginning somehow...irrelevant, it made them just tools, and some of them even felt fillerish, in the sense that they were only there just to make the show have some more episodes or get to the 24 episodes line.

Besides, the show has an excess of plot-conveniences. For an adult-oriented show, this comes as something truly annoying.
Jul 31, 2017 5:38 PM
Oct 2013
As someone who hasn´t seen it and only vicariously experienced the show I can give you a short summary of it´s appealing factors from an outsiders POV.
If you will, similar to how an atheist perceives the appeal of religion.

1. It´s a colorful show in character and art.
2. It has solid cinematography.
3. It had been released at a time when Anime had become stale.
4. It´s only a few episodes long.
5.It´s complicated enough to make it´s audience consider themselves smart for understanding it.
6. It´s stupid enough, to not challenge it´s average intelligence audience, to the point where they become aware of this truth and angry at the show for exposing them.
7. It has alot of pandering in it, through the inclusion of several waifus to pick from and salivate over them, like the creeps they are for having a waifu unironically.

8. Highly regarded is a vague statement and requires contextualization.
The Blueray sales of Steins Gate equates between 2-5 million $ in Yen at the most.
With assuming 30-100k Blurays sold.

DBZ sells yearly that amount in fighting games. The audience is like 10th of the Grasp DBZ has. If you had half a million people dedicated to DBZ instead of 50 you´d get the same results.
IsterioJul 31, 2017 6:00 PM
Jul 31, 2017 5:41 PM

Jun 2014
People complain about how the start of Steins;Gate is slow and disappointing. But without it, there wouldn't be enough development for the viewers to actually start caring about the characters. Time travel aspect was also done better than most.
Jul 31, 2017 5:44 PM

Apr 2017
Cause it's GOATTT for VN Fags

>Is it even that good?

>Pretentious

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jul 31, 2017 5:48 PM

Oct 2015
Manaban said:
I really want to nut inside of Mayuri honestly

ill let you nut in me tbh

OT: cause as long as something is slighty better than average, its a masterpiece by casual logic
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Jul 31, 2017 5:48 PM

Sep 2014
I dont think its that good

Tho its clever at some points, the whole execution is pretty meh, not mentioning that most of the characters are obnoxious and unnecessary.

But what expect from a dating game adaptation?
Smoke Weed Everyday
Jul 31, 2017 5:50 PM

Oct 2014
Op needs to calm down with these shitposts, this almost makes 10 in under a month. Looking to break some records are we?
Jul 31, 2017 6:17 PM

Jan 2014
Because it contains references to otaku subculture.
Jul 31, 2017 6:37 PM

Oct 2014
People giving out 9's/10's for S;G just have selective and short memory. They forgot how ordinary the first 6 or 7 episodes were and only remember the last half when they get around to scoring. When I watched it it was #2; something that high should be very good start to finish; maybe one or two subpar episodes at most.
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Jul 31, 2017 7:51 PM

Apr 2015
Because Steins;Gate is actually good.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jul 31, 2017 7:55 PM
May 2017
Considering that OP has made a decent amount of very questionable threads like "Why do people hate Fairy Tail?" I can see why they would make a thread like this.

OP can't handle the fact that their tastes are not well regarded. Could be baiting though. Who knows.

CatSoul said:
Because Steins;Gate is actually good.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - Apr 19, 2011

260 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

805 by Nemesis133 »»
Yesterday, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

saxophone15 - Apr 26, 2011

241 by GatchiShoppo »»
Apr 20, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.