Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]
Jul 2, 2017 4:52 AM

Dec 2014
MightyM16 said:
MonoReaper said:
@MightyM16

But Nagiots crazy eyes were always "special" looked different from everyone else this swirly dark crazyness. Tengan had the same crazy eyes as all the despair/brainwashed people had so far. There are tough different special eyes/mimics trough the whole series to show special emotions for scenes. But Nagitos was always a different kind of crazy.
Jungo in the afterlife theater said it herself. A brainwahsed humanity that only has this extreme form of hope is also pretty much a despair end itself.
That would make sense if this is tengans goal when he watched the wrong USB stick.

Regardless, just the eyes don't confirm anything. They're just your theory.

The eyes can manifest on people not influenced by despair brainwashing as evidenced by Nagito and Junko.

Well its not a Theory of mine as the whole build up in the Gaiden manga plus the end Panel of Tengan in said chapter speaks for itself.

But thats no argument. Junko is a natural despair drunk person and was the first to have those eyes. Nagito is the somewhat oppostie of Junko only so far that he himself hates despair but causes it nonetheless even tough he beliefs its for hope.

Nagitos eyes were always this crazy swirly dark when he talked about his ideology. Junko had those eyes only before her dead because she experienced the biggest despair she could. The despair before you die. You inner natural reaction towards you own end.

Tengans crazy eyes after Munakata questioned his motive only then to talk about "extreme" hope and the necerssarity of it. Its the same as the DR2 kids after brainswashed who did believe they did something good even tough they its clearly shown the despairvideo fucked them up.
If you remember Tengang had at all times the trigger for the bomb to detonate on Asano but didnt trigger it.
His whole statemant about :he would do something far as killing in order to grasp hope and the future.
Was the same twisted view as all the people who were brainwashed had.
That whole thing at chapter 12 to the end explains why Tengan acted like a psychopath & even risked the live of the only person who would brainwash everyone into a zombie like hope that is also despair in itself.
Jul 16, 2017 7:15 AM

Jun 2010
lmao the comments. Fanboying/raging over kirigiri being alive. You're either on despair side or hope side. Overall 6/10 danganropa3....7/10 since im on hope side lol.
Jul 17, 2017 7:45 AM

Mar 2015
MonoReaper said:
MightyM16 said:

Regardless, just the eyes don't confirm anything. They're just your theory.

The eyes can manifest on people not influenced by despair brainwashing as evidenced by Nagito and Junko.

Well its not a Theory of mine as the whole build up in the Gaiden manga plus the end Panel of Tengan in said chapter speaks for itself.

But thats no argument. Junko is a natural despair drunk person and was the first to have those eyes. Nagito is the somewhat oppostie of Junko only so far that he himself hates despair but causes it nonetheless even tough he beliefs its for hope.

Nagitos eyes were always this crazy swirly dark when he talked about his ideology. Junko had those eyes only before her dead because she experienced the biggest despair she could. The despair before you die. You inner natural reaction towards you own end.

Tengans crazy eyes after Munakata questioned his motive only then to talk about "extreme" hope and the necerssarity of it. Its the same as the DR2 kids after brainswashed who did believe they did something good even tough they its clearly shown the despairvideo fucked them up.
If you remember Tengang had at all times the trigger for the bomb to detonate on Asano but didnt trigger it.
His whole statemant about :he would do something far as killing in order to grasp hope and the future.
That whole thing at chapter 12 to the end explains why Tengan acted like a psychopath & even risked the live of the only person who would brainwash everyone into a zombie like hope that is also despair in itself.

It is just a theory unless you can find an actual moment or mention of Tengan watching the video. End of story
Jul 17, 2017 11:10 AM

Dec 2014
MightyM16 said:
MonoReaper said:

It is just a theory unless you can find an actual moment or mention of Tengan watching the video. End of story

DR3 Anime flashback to Chisa giving Tengan 2 USB sticks and tells him to watch it and he ask wich one is the Despair Video than Chisa says wich one ans miles with crazy eyes.
Aug 14, 2017 6:38 PM

Mar 2015
MonoReaper said:
MightyM16 said:

DR3 Anime flashback to Chisa giving Tengan 2 USB sticks and tells him to watch it and he ask wich one is the Despair Video than Chisa says wich one ans miles with crazy eyes.

You need to refresh your memory, she didn't tell him to watch it.
Sep 6, 2017 6:58 PM

Jul 2010
This was gorgeous! What wonderful animation.

It was so heartwarming to see my D2 faves again, especially my sweet Nanami. I love them all so much! Best characters -- loved to see their personalities highlighted again.

So cute that Kirigiri's back, too. No way they'd kill her off for good, and that makes me happy tbh. Adorable to see Touko & Komura with the main cast at the end. Very satisfying ending, overall. I know their story is over, but I hope we at least get references/cameos in V3.

Didn't like Future arc very much -- most of Despair arc was much better thematically & character-wise. But this ep was great.
Sep 13, 2017 7:09 PM

Mar 2009
Major123 said:
I don't know about anyone else but I was still hoping that Chiaki was still somehow alive in someway. The show is great and the ending is great but the fact that she dies(twice) and is the only character to not get a happy ending will probably bother me for a bit. Like Kyoko lived, why can't Chiaki? I understand her death was important in multiple ways...but still I wish she would of lived. At least she is an AI I guess...

Wouldn't be hard to come up with a reason if they really wanted to. After Chiaki seemingly dies and Izuru is moved he uses his powers to stabilize her condition and hides her away to recover where she returns at the end like a certain someone. Arguable a cop-out like Kirigiri and would take away from her sacrifice but certainly not impossible.

This series was rough on me. Grew so attached to Chiaki that just seeing the AI version was offputting.
SightoSep 13, 2017 7:13 PM
Sep 28, 2017 1:53 AM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Good conclusion ending! No amazing speech from Naegi this time like in season 1 lol, but I still like how it ended XD My favorite characters from Danganronpa got to be Asahina and Togami !!!!!!!!!
張大です for 張大勇督察
Sep 30, 2017 12:38 AM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Watching it the 2nd time after Zetsubou is SO MUCH BETTER now that I understand everything and everyone! I LOVE DANGANRONPA !!! XD
張大です for 張大勇督察
Jan 6, 2018 1:20 AM

Dec 2012
SHSL Assault Team?
It is Hajime.
Those eyes.
episode: hope
Dat logo.
Is that... Dat rock. Dem rocks.
Oh shit! Nagito!
lol at Impostor.
Peko!!!!!
lol at Gundham.
Nekomaru and Kazuichi.
Sonia complimented Kazuichi? Nani!?
Akane oppai.
Kill Hiyoko! Please!
My waifu Mikan!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAH! Irnoic that she's the one to save Hiyoko.
How dare you call Mikan that after she saved you! You better learn your place and thank her.
Hajime confronts Ryouta.
Tsumaranai.
Mikan and the others are there.
Makoto, why you hiding? You're the MC. Get in the there.
The timer!
Dat Hajime-Makoto nod.
My waifu Mikan is talking to Makoto? AAAAAAAAAAAH!
OMG! Nagito and Makoto. Luck and Luck...are in the same scene and they're talking to each other. Megumi-ception! How I've waited for this scene to happen since DR2.
lol at them carrying Nagito away.
So that's how digital Chiaki came to be.
Aoi oppai.
Mikan has a drug that delay's the bangles poison? She used it on someone? Could it be?
Those legs.. It's... Turn around Makoto!
Komaru is there. I wonder if she told Aoi about Yuta?
KYOUKO!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Makoto is the principal!

And that was The End of Kibougamine Gakuen. What a great finale. My DR2 waifu saved my DR1 waifu. MIKAN TSUMIKI! I FUCKING LOVE YOU! It can't get any more beautiful than that. I cried! It was fate that Kyouko and Mikan would be my DR waifu's. I knew Kyouko wasn't dead. I refused to believe it. I refused to fall into zetsubou. I hoped that the poison put her in a dead-like state and I was right. Loved the Mugumi-ception. My dream of it happening came true. Unfortunate that Megumi didn't sing the ED theme tho. With that said...I'll miss my waifu's Kyouko, Mikan, and Chisa.

*Makoto voice* Kibou wa mae susumu nda!
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Feb 13, 2018 12:50 PM

Sep 2016
KIRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGIRIIIIIIIIIII ESKETITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Feb 18, 2018 5:18 PM

Jun 2013
Initially I assumed the whole D3 Future arc and D3 Despair arc anime was created to promote the Danganronpa V3 but maybe I could be wrong or maybe not. The whole future arc and hope arc don't seem like they are based of any new Danganronpa game but presumably a manga to conclude the series. Personally I haven't played any of the games or read the manga but I did watch video summaries on the events of D2 to understand the story of D3. I watched this show in a D3 Future Arc Ep 1, D3 Despair Arc Ep 1, D3 Future Arc Ep 2, D3 Despair Arc Ep 2 sequence but it didn't matter much since D3 Despair Arc takes place before the events of Danganronpa THH. But the Despair arc provides a fairly nice insight what led to the chaos.

Honestly, I think the story itself felt pretty mediocre this time unlike Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc especially the future arc. It didn't seem interesting or engaging but rather tedious and confusing at times. Additionally, everything felt too predictable and that kinda ruined the suspense and intensity of a murder mystery.

Furthermore, I don't like fast paced shows or games with too many characters. I didn't even care much about any of the characters either except for Nagito who was fun to watch. But I disliked the two incredibly boring and bland protagonists. And to make matters worse they had female voice actors. It always so annoying to hear a feminine voice for a possibly 17 to 18 year old boys.

The ending was lame and stupid. I mean all the Future foundation member suicides were orchestrated by Future Foundation chairman Kazuo just to convince a cowardly Mitarai to broadcast a hope video which had same brainwashing effects like the despair video. And Mitarai who didn't do anything so far to rectify his mistake of creating those chaotic videos that led to so many deaths and a world wide apocalypse suddenly developed a will to do so after seeing few people die. But was later convinced by Hajime and Class 78 to go on a cruise trip instead to atone their sins. While Naegi became a principal of a new Hope's peak Academy like it made a difference considering the whole world is still in chaos.

Thank god this is over.
Aug 12, 2018 12:38 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
revanfear said:
The only thing that don't like me is they behavior, because is like they never were Ultimate Despair and don't have kill thousand of people. Ok they have been redeemed but at least they should have been a little traumatized by the experience. C'mon after all they have done they can't be the same kids they were before

You can say that they retained all their previous memories and from DR2 and that made them able to face it much better, besides with Hajime by their side there is nothing they cant accomplish.

I see alot of bitching for this ending, but things where well explained, seeing Hajime again was a highlight too, seeing the conclusion he come to after DR2... this was really an happy ending the series deserved.
Chiaki best DR girl forever!
8.9/10 = 9
Oct 22, 2018 11:24 AM

Jun 2015
I'm so happy Kirigiri is alive. I was so agonized over it.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Dec 29, 2018 11:13 PM

Jun 2015
damn wish i saw this after i finished both danganronpa 3s. would've been a lot better to me, but from what i remember, it's still a good ending to both of them. glad to see kirigiri is alive.
Jan 7, 2019 2:10 AM
Mar 2017
Wow. Just wow. I just finished watching Mirai-hen, Zetsubou-hen, Kibou-hen and SDR2.5; and I was absolutely blown away. Tbh I don't understand the negative feedback I heard about DR3 as a whole. Yeah it's kinda lacking but overall, it's still pretty good.

I just love how the creators were able leave almost no stone unturned. All loose threads since DR1 were tied up nicely giving me a satisfying ending to my most favorite video game series of all time.

I love how the DR2 cast came and saved the day. Ahhh, I just love them so much. I love how they convinced Mitarai to not broadcast the vid and just join them. Now, this is the kind of nakama theme done right.

And I'm happy that Makoto gave the spotlight to them.

And then, while they were on the ship, I was like "Come on! I need Chiaki. Even just a memory/flashback or something will do. I just wanna see her." And bam! There she was! And her appearance was definitely executed well.

I thought at this point there were no more tears left to cry (because honestly, I've been crying non-stop ever since the Kibou-hen ep started), but boy was I wrong. I sobbed harder than before. I just love her so much.

And darn! Yes, Kyoko is alive! I'm so happy for Makoto. I don't want another MC to have a tragic love story. Hajime's enough already. I want a happy ending and that's what I got. I'm so glad she survived.

And finally, the ending. They rebult Hope's Peak Academy. And Makoto's the headmaster. Wahhhh, this is just so great! I love, love, love it!

Let me just say that all those tears, and mental screams of agony I endured since DR1 were definitely worth it. The happiness I felt when all it ended can never be described with words that can give it justice. It was truly satisfying and made every step of journey I had with this video game/anime more meaningful.

TLDR: Just finished watching the DR3 anime including Kibou-hen and SDR2.5 and wow, what a ride. I love everything they did and how it ended especially since the whole DR2 cast (except Chiaki) survived. I couldn't ask for a better ending! Not to mention Chiaki showed up as well. Darn these ninjas cutting onions.

And I'm glad they rebuilt Hope's Peak Academy. Makoto's a headmaster and Kyoko's with him too. Ahh, my ship~

Overall, it was really satisfying and I don't understand the hate from some people. It's kinda lacking but still a great conclusion. The despair I felt since DR1 was definitely worth it.

P.S.: I'll never get enough of the DR2 cast. I'm so attached to them. Especially Chiaki. I don't care if she's dead. She's definitely #BestGirl to me.

P.P.S.: Time to replay SDR2 and then V3!
Feb 24, 2019 8:11 PM

Dec 2015
Every time they always surprise me. I was first surprised because Aoi Asahina had died but then she was actually alive, and then the kill off Kyoko Kirigiri which really got me, but SHE SURVIVED AS WELL. Man, they keep surprising me, what a blast.
Mar 10, 2019 7:06 PM

Sep 2011
So Kirigiri is still alive? Well, I'm glad for that.

I really liked this episode. It was nice to see again everyone from the Despair arc after the events of Danganronpa 2. Naegi becoming the director was really nice.

Well, now I'm ready to play V3. I was so excited to play it that I almost skipped Danganronpa 3, but I'm glad that I watched.
Mar 22, 2019 9:45 AM

Jun 2017
Finished the Hope Episode

-so out of no where we see the "Ultimate assault team" land,which sounds pretty intriguing,except that they are brainwashed too somehow and we wont get to know anything at all about them and they are used as cannon fodder for the 77ers instead >_>. what a waste of an intriguing concept. they should have landed with Togami instead, that way we would have at least gotten a glimpse of who they were. also,no clue where that dinosaur robot came from >_>.

-the Nagito "Pebbles" scene and how V2 took Munakata's look were funny scenes though XD. also,Nagito's arm confirmed to have been changed,and Byakuya V2 kept changing shapes throughout the episode: First Munakata,then Ryota,then Back to Byakuya,which was a nice touch. sucks that we didnt get to see him interact with the original Byakuya though,as it would have been a nice scene,especially considering how much V2 revered him in DR2. would have also been funny if they had interacted while V2 was in Byakuya's look XD

-Nice DR2 reference with the Minimarus XD

-WHY THE HELL is Mikan back to normal??!! First,she was the only one who had her personality changed instead of simply mindwashed. Second,in DR2 she knew she was in a VR and was willing to kill and die to go to her beloved,which is Junko. there is absolutely NO REASON for her to be anything but an ROD right now,as the NWP that saved the rest completely failed in her case because, again, unlike the rest, she wasnt brainwashed. she should have been the only one of them who is still an ROD through and through,so it legit pisses me off that she seems to be normal again,despite every single thing that ever happened to her saying that she should still be a ROD.

-also,in the end Naegi was completely useless lol. he didnt even confront Ryota. Seriously,the ONLY thing that he did in the entire Future/Hope Arc was convincing Munakata,and even if that hadnt happened Munakata would have still been apprehended by Byakuya and the 77ers,so if Naegi literally wasnt even involved pretty much nothing would have changed.
It is Astonishing tbh. at the very first episode it was clearly stated that this would be the final battle between Monokuma and Naegi,yet neither Monokuma nor Naegi actually did s*** in this whole thing. bloody damn that is disappointing >_>

-Seems like Naegi is really short too,considering the height difference between him and Hinata,or Hinata is just a giant lol

-I wonder what Mikan wanted to say before Nagito pushed her aside lol

-the "ROD admission" scene pissed me off. i understood why they did it,but this way their "future" that they keep talking about will never happen,because the whole world now,including almost all of the Future Foundation, still sees them as their old ROD selves. there was also literally no need for them all to appear. just have a single one of them declare his responsibility and the goal would have been achieved without hurting the rest of them. where the hell will they build their "future" now? back to the same bloody island?

-their explanation as to how AI Chiaki was created was nice but completely contradictory,as in DR2 Chiaki clearly stated she has "a father"(singular)and "an older brother"(Alter Ego most likely),which strongly hinted at Chihiro designing her,but fully confirmed that only one guy designed her,which is the exact opposite of what she said here.

-aaand Kirigiri is back in the last 1.30minutes of the show >_>. that is simply BS that was done for the sake of pandering to the crowd,as there is no doubt that they would have noticed when they were hugging her if she was simply in a coma from her breath,heart beat,etc.

-however,the counts makes no sense whatsoever now. counting Hagakure in, it had been perfectly consistent up until now,but how the hell were there 6 left in Future Episode 10 if she was alive?? that simply doesnt work anymore and is a big plothole,as that count was depended upon to figure out who is alive and who isnt.

-so from the last shot it seems like they are preparing the HPA to be used once more with Naegi being the Dean? you'd think the school that was directly responsible for world destruction wouldnt exactly be a place that people would want to go to anymore,let alone look up to >_>. guess class 80 and so on will come soon and f*** the world up again lol.

-a few of the many plotholes and questions that this episode left unresolved:
--why did Munakata say at the end of the first episode when he saw chisa's body "tell me yukizome,I am not mistaken,am I?"? that line makes no sense now.
--why did Tengan tell Munakata "Is that why you sacrificed chisa?" when he didnt sacrifice her?
--how did Hinata and co acquire a ship and escape from all the attacking ships? alternatively,how did they defeat all the ships?
--and many many more.

overall,the episode was pretty much just fan service,and it caused more questions and plotholes than it answered. originally after watching it i was going to give it a 5,but now that i thought about it a 4 is a more fitting rating. Future Arc,which literally only had ONE good episode (episode 6) is a 2 (would have been a 3 if not for the worst,most despair inducing, DR episode of all time,AKA episode 7), and Despair Arc is an 8,which is,funnily enough, the same rating i gave DR2 lol XD. also, for reference,DR1 was a 9 and DR:UDG a 7.5

DRV3 is next,but not immediately as i have had enough "plot twists" for now and dont want to become burned out. I am certain it wont be long until i start it though lol

Edit:just found this post-DR3 Kodaka interview. it seems like he is unaware of all the dislike DR3 got? or any of the complaints about it? also,he outright lies about DR2.5 here,mentioning stuff that never occured in it (unless it was still in the planning stages then?). an intriguing read nonetheless.
http://kamase-megane.tumblr.com/post/153504419222/dr3-spoiler-warning-heres-a-post-kibou-hen
FFTHEWINNERMar 28, 2019 5:25 PM
Jul 16, 2019 6:26 AM

Oct 2017
Why Kirigiri is still alive? Imo its kinda illogical
5/10
Jul 27, 2019 8:35 AM

May 2016
Kimura saved her what a good girl she was one of my fav's of all

that speech that Naegi said at the last moments was really inspiring and was hope.

6/10
Aug 30, 2019 10:34 AM

Mar 2010
This series is truly a great closure for the entire dangan ronpa since its 1st debut, for me.

This episode specifically was very pleasant. Satisfying. Theres a minor plot probably for a possible sequel, but I really hope for a sequel since I cam to like to the entire story not too long ago.

8/10 overall. Memorable.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2019 7:19 PM
Feb 2019
A decent ending I guess. What I really wanted was the full version of Never Say Never playing for the last scene. It is the most recognizable piece of music from Danganronpa, and symbolises everything about this anime.
Oct 6, 2019 10:42 AM
Nov 2018
Watched both series (future+despair) and this, after i finished the first 2 games.
It was a great addition to the game story and lot of things make more sense now.
for me 8/10 i love happy ending

btw i watched a lot depressing things but despair arc ep. 10 was a bit too much.
Oct 28, 2019 7:06 AM

Jun 2019
This was a decent ending, a little underwhelming, but then again most Danganronpa endings tend to be.

It was cool seeing the Remnants of Despair again, but their personalities are so silly they don't really fit the tone of this series.

Kyoko's alive! It's incredibly convenient, but hey, I'm just glad she's back.

So this is the end of the Danganronpa series (I don't count V3). It's a humbling end to say the least, an ending filled with hope. However, as hopeful as the ending my be, it doesn't compare to the hope I experienced during the journey. Danganronpa is truly something special.
Nov 9, 2019 10:58 AM

Sep 2019
First why is that bitch (kirigiri) alive. What is the point of her dying in the first place? This ain't funny man. When an important character die it makes up sad but if that character come back to life in the next episode how can someone would take this in a good way. This is bull shit. F*ck that kirigiri bitch.
Nov 9, 2019 11:05 AM

Sep 2019
Raizel said:
Kimura saved her what a good girl she was one of my fav's of all

that speech that Naegi said at the last moments was really inspiring and was hope.

6/10
I have a question why kimura didn't used that medicine in the first place? And how did kirigiri find out about that medicine and it's effects?
Mar 17, 2020 7:55 AM

Mar 2016
Not a bad episode, but it was kind of underwhelming.

I was horrified and heartbroken when Kyoko died. But, they brought her back, and now I feel like I wasted that emotion. I don't like tricks like that. Kyoko's death would have been a great chance for Naegi to grow.

I kept waiting for Komaeda and Kamukura throughout the series, but they hardly ever showed up. That was disappointing. They were the most interesting characters in every scene they appeared in. Also, I love their designs, especially Komaeda's.

Naegi is the principal. That is nice and all, but do you really want a guy—who hasn't even had his first voice crack—to have authority over you? lol.
Mar 17, 2020 10:30 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Surprisingly, this turned out to be pretty fine in the end. I was expecting a convoluted mess as a result of Mirai-hen and its finale but this episode really tied up everything decently.

Kyoko-chan's death has been suspicious from the very start so it was nice to see a little on that at the very end, I totally gave up on this somewhere midway into the episode lol. Going back to the episode of her supposed demise, there was evidence of the "Cure W" vial (Episode 9-10) so I'm convinced with that. If anything, I'm more curious as to how she came to the conclusion that ingesting that suspicious medicine might just save her. Knowing her though, she probably picked it up from the first episode when Kimura failed to save one of the leaders early up.

Komaede's return, honestly, was a treat to watch xD. I don't think he's luck is too far behind Naegi's, if you ask me. A lot of focus on Kamakura too, unsurprisingly. It's nice to see that he's come to accept things and he, along with the others, are taking the burden of despair to lighten their kouhai's troubles. I wonder how he saved his classmates from their vegetative state though.

Sweet little moment Sonia-san and her dearest follower too, god that was adorable~ Peko and her young master, I feel like there's something going on between the two as well which is nice to see. Overall, it was pleasing to see the kids doing their things really. (Fake) Mitarai and his new classmates saving Mitarai was a nice addition.

Not surprised to see Naegi take on the Principal role of the "School of Hope", with Kirigiri-san as the Vice Principal I imagine. And we even got a short glimpse of Naegi's sister, a pity that we didn't get to see much of the two reunion though. Should've been a 30 minute episode instead to fill us in with more details and whatnot...

Anyway, pretty sure, Munakata-san is serving somewhere around these perimeters too. All in all, the happiest ending you could possibly ask from the series and it's fitting as the finale, if you ask me.

Going to give this a solid 6/10, like the Despair Arc.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 8, 2020 4:20 PM

Jun 2016
Because I enjoyed this final part, I want to voice my criticisms first. To do so, an anecdote. I was not enjoying these anime which everyone tells me to watch before playing V3, so by the end, in desperation thinking Hope arc was another 12 episodes, I uttered “please tell me the anime isn’t important for V3". To my surprise, my friend said yes, it's not. My next question was, is this even canon? The answers in the Despair arc could all be effectively ambiguous and up to interpretation. Chiaki didn’t even need to be a real person. The events around the world building were fleshed out when it wasn’t necessary. The Future arc may be an event which happened before the events of V3 for all I know, but I think I’d prefer to have skipped it. Then it hit me, KYOKO IS DEAD. Of course this is canonical and important because if the main cast appears in V3 at all then Kyoko will need a reason for not being there. That being, she is dead. Even though the Danganronpa 2 cast got out scot-free, the Danganronpa 1 cast had a heartbreaking casualty. And it was an excellent reveal at that, one that subverted my expectations and hurt. With news of her survival, not only does this diminish the death scenes power as all revivals do, but this one went so far to crush the one thing I was most grateful for watching this anime for. The emotional and gripping ramification of Kyoko's sacrifice. Now it's as if I could have skipped all of this and done what I know I’ll enjoy, the game.

After getting that vent out, I would like to say that although I for the most part didn’t enjoy what either anime did, the climax was probably my favorite in Danganronpa as a franchise. The twist and execution of the first game and the second game's finales just left a bad taste in my mouth and I typically only enjoy the final chapters due to the characters. Here, while still silly and built on a foundation I didn’t enjoy, I found it effective. Every character involved has been established, many for hours on hours of gameplay, and as for Mitarai, he was established as one of the better new characters with a strong introduction. It made for his guilt and weakness drawing him to commit what many would call evil and being confronted by his former classmates a touching scene in which we experienced every moment of hardship leading up to. The notion of offering someone about to commit evil due to their weakness and hardship a hand and partnership, a statement that “I will fight alongside you every step of the way” is one that I am fond of. And moments like after Makoto 'withdrawals cooly’ Speedwagon style, where Hajime and him shared a silent and mutual respect felt meaningful. As Byakuya said, Hajime and the gang may have saved the day, but they saved the day because of Makoto’s hope rippling through them. The chances he took in saving them.

This climax played the cards right in that way, again despite not enjoying the building blocks, it cashed out our time with the series and characters in a satisfying manner excluding one particular Kyoko revival, and it even tried to answer the long awaited Chiaki AI question. In the end, the loss that Munakata felt and the camaraderie he shared with Makoto felt tangible, and the rock song that played in the background while we said goodbye to our old friends felt great! A 6/10 feels right because I didn’t enjoy what came before it and one episode cannot salvage that, yet it offered a strength I would endorse, just as the Danganronpa 1 anime did for me and it went beyond that by bringing something entirely new to the table.

Jul 11, 2020 8:13 PM

Oct 2013
So, after all these years, I got into the Danganronpa franchise. Played the first game, watched the first anime (which I knew was a bad choice but I did anyway, still I confirmed it was just the shitty condensed version and the game's much much better), then played the second game and UDG.
I went into the series mostly spoiler-free, as I'm pretty good at avoiding stuff I don't wanna know about. All the games were a fun experience, but the first anime was just a precursor to what I would see in D3.

To be honest, I didn't really like Mirai Hen all that much. Maybe it's because of D2's impact that left on me (which is the game I love the most btw, still don't know about V3 which I'm still about to play). But anyway, Mirai Hen's whole atmosphere made me feel weird. In this sense, I can say that out of the two Zetsubou Hen's the one I like more than the other. (Mostly since I'm more attached to class 77 and it was enjoyable seeing fanservice scenes). But ultimately, the ending of both arcs left a really, really bad taste in my mouth. maybe this is zetsubou

The first half of both anime were good, and there were some really exceptional scenes (especially in Mirai Hen). But starting from around half of both arcs, it just... didn't feel very satisfying. From what you can probably see by now, I'm ultimately one who vouches for the games than anything else. And seeing plot points and everything established in the previous installments being retconned, ignored, or blatantly skipped just made me feel sad and angry. Not that there's much to be done about it with time constrictions and all. I found the idea of having two titles of the same series airing at the same season complementing each other pretty cool though.

So in the end, I'm glad I dedicated my few hours to see this conclusion, but it definitely wasn't one I was very pleased to see. It all wrapped up things from the past and in the future, but in a very unsatisfying way. It's probably best for me to pretend D3 anime is an optional canon.

Anyway, my (not unexpected) disappointment for the anime aside, there were indeed some nice points to it and I can't entirely say it sucked. But I do think it was just bad in some parts. Especially to the ending. And some others. (Scratch it let me be honest I just enjoyed some of the parts that actually made sense and didn't feel like such a blatant cover-up to bring up a happy ending. It's not that I'm against happy endings... After all that despair, it just isn't that satisfying to see.....)

Looking back on my post, I might be contradicting myself a lot, but that just shows my divided opinion on this whole anime. I came to love the series, I love the games, and I liked some parts of the anime. Some parts just don't come together very well and in the end I feel like the anime fell flat compared to the thrill in the sequels and early episodes. I've been trying to end this whole block of text but it's kinda difficult to with my mind still jumbled up after this mess lol. Anyway, that's how I feel about the anime.
Jul 22, 2020 11:48 AM

Apr 2018
this series is definitely flawed and arguably not good, but i have so many fond memories of watching it
✧・゚:* space is the place *:・゚✧

Oct 13, 2020 9:57 AM

Apr 2020
It feels great to see Kirigiri still alive, and also happy to see the 77th generation like before.
Nov 26, 2020 12:32 AM

Aug 2015
That was really cute, though it felt out of place for this franchise.

I wish the despair designs for class 78 remained, even after they returned to hope. Hajime with long hair in a tux + that evil queen look Sonia had going on is just too good.

Nagito's robot hand is just *chefs kiss*. Can't believe this trash man managed to become even more up my alley.
Nov 30, 2020 7:55 PM

Aug 2020
My question is how did they make another game after this? I guess I'll have to wait to play it.

Anyways related to the anime itself, wow. Just wow. I enjoyed this more than the Nagito special and that really surprises me. Seeing all of the DR2 cast made me so happy. Also that little scene in the dub when Nagito meets Naegi was hilarious.

Glad to see Nanami and Kirigiri back! :)

Dec 5, 2020 2:55 AM

Jul 2014
ravioliqueen said:
My question is how did they make another game after this? I guess I'll have to wait to play it.

Anyways related to the anime itself, wow. Just wow. I enjoyed this more than the Nagito special and that really surprises me. Seeing all of the DR2 cast made me so happy. Also that little scene in the dub when Nagito meets Naegi was hilarious.

Glad to see Nanami and Kirigiri back! :)

Because they didn't - the next game isn't in the same universe.

Anyhow, this needed like three episodes minimum for what they tried to cram in here. This whole series was entertaining yet annoying in equal measure.
Dec 5, 2020 7:52 AM

Aug 2020
[quote=Tozzy message=61310543]
ravioliqueen said:

Because they didn't - the next game isn't in the same universe.

Yeah that's what I've heard.

Jan 3, 2021 7:47 AM

Aug 2020
Omggggggg Mitarai was so cute in this episode I can't TwT

What the heck was that ending though? Someone please explain why they're on a ship and why Makoto is the headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy?
Mar 8, 2021 2:20 AM

Dec 2012
Well... that was something, just spent the past week playing DR1, 2 and UDG which has been a roller coaster, mostly enjoyment, same goes for this, it was kinda a bit more average than the games but still a fun series to watch.

I do wish we saw more of the Despairs causing actual chaos, but surprisingly the show seems less "dark" than it comes off as, sure there its lots of killing but some how by the end anyone who was actually killed pretty much had no significance to the series till this show, oh look, a bunch of Future Foundation folk I knew nothing about got offed...

Chiaki death hurt even if you knew it was coming, I guess its kinda nice to know she wasn't just an AI though.

I pretty much let out some tears of joy when Kyoko turned out to be alive but it feels kinda wrong, it almost makes the anime feel non-important, none of the cast from the games could be touched encase they want to use them in future games (I've not played V3 at this point) and they don't want to confuse people who don't watch the anime.

Now I get they left hints for Kyoko being alive still and even DR2 doesn't flat out say those who died in New World are actually dead but it still feels unsatisfying, even if it is nice to see characters again.
DarkSynopsisMar 8, 2021 2:54 AM
Apr 19, 2021 11:06 AM
Mar 2021
im glad this episode was a little comforting, it doesnt feel like it's over idk i feel a little empty
Oct 3, 2021 3:40 AM

Aug 2019
So finally it is completed now....enjoyed dispair arc more.....kyoko is back so one waifu is alive....
Feb 26, 2023 4:38 AM
Jul 2015
I'm glad class 77th everyone survived the one died is only World programme compared to 78 79

All of them have Great chesmistery talent and Great AS super World despair 🌚💯💯💯
Apr 10, 2023 7:35 AM

Nov 2010
Damn, Sonia is so beautiful. I wish I could stick my D up her behind.

That ending is so predictable. I still think brainwashing the world free from negative emotions is the way to go. It's a more permanent solution, and everyone will be equal at that point. In reality, the solution they went for was just delaying the inevitable, like way back in WWI. They thought it was the war that would end all wars, and fast forward to a century later, the world is on the brink of collapse once more since most top leaders are still at the mercy of their emotions and despair.

Humans will always be stupid. We all need to ascend to something like Posthuman Transhumanism or better. Brainwashing is just the first step to that dream utopia. We are all living in a lie nowadays and are better off not being aware of it.

Ah, that's lame. Kyouko survived. It doesn't mean I don't like her, but people that should've died should remain dead. Her death was necessary to move the plot forward, and her being alive invalidates the emotional investment. Sigh. 6/10
Jul 17, 2023 8:59 AM
May 2019
KYOKO KYOKO KYOKO!
Aug 22, 2023 8:35 PM
Feb 2019
Huh!! When n how Izuru reverted to Hajime? 😲
Oct 16, 2023 1:12 PM

Dec 2021
Just WTF was that ending? Felt like fanservice and not the good kind.
Jan 5, 7:49 PM

Oct 2021
They did what SO many other anime do - just bring major characters back from the dead through a deus ex machina. It takes away from the impact of their "death". I LOVE Kyoko but bringing her back with a last minute "there's this cure that can delay the poison", so that we can have a happy ending, isn't something I'm a huge fan of. Just don't kill her off in the first place if you're gonna do this then. Because of that, we didn't even get much Kyoko in the anime. If they really wanted to do this, they should've have set up hints in the previous episodes, rather than making it feel like a last minute plot convenience.

But while that isn't a huge deal to me, what I can't forgive is bringing back ALL the remnants of despair from DR2. What the hell was the point of DR2 and all the executions and everything the characters went through - if they're all just alive? Not to mention these people went through and did some of the most messed up things imaginable, and they likely killed thousands or even millions of people, but now they seem perfectly fine and healthy as if nothing happened to them (except for Nagito's hand). And then literally sailing off into the sunset.

If I had ever replayed DR2, why would I still feel and care about literally anything going on? I now know that none of it matters because it's all a simulation with no consequences, and all the characters will survive. This is like the anime equivalent of an "Then I woke up and it was all a dream" ending.

The stuff outside of the Monica plotline and bringing all of the remnants of despair, were done really well. This could have been an amazing anime but damn, those two parts just really ruin it.
Salty_CookieJan 6, 11:04 PM
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

More topics from this board

» About Kirigiri (spoilers from Hope ep)

Dragon - Sep 29, 2016

30 by Apratim »»
Apr 11, 2022 10:20 AM

» Unrelated, but what the heck is the watch orders for these?

IssyBoy - Feb 20, 2022

9 by BanzaiAlex »»
Feb 20, 2022 11:22 PM

» Why do none of the characters care about Mitarai's hope brainwashing attempt getting people killed?

Chikipichi - May 27, 2020

1 by removed-user »»
Jun 6, 2020 8:49 PM

» Who are your Favorite Characters? ( 1 2 )

TehSnawn - Sep 30, 2016

53 by Mewra »»
Jan 28, 2020 4:52 PM

» Chronological order of Danganronpa franchise

SuiNoByakko - Jan 7, 2018

4 by miyumi »»
Mar 24, 2018 10:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.