Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 8, 2017 11:29 PM
Jun 2016
Pretty decent episode but i'm still waiting for my son (yamanbagiri) to show up.
Jul 9, 2017 1:54 AM

Sep 2008
This feels like one of those old Playstation games

2 minutes cutscene
Fight sequence
2 minutes cutscene explaining X
Fight sequence
2 minutes cutscene with comedic dialogue
Fight sequence

There's almost no context, almost no explanation of what the fuck's going on, why's it going on, or anything else.
4/10 so far for me

It looks nice, but that's literaly it. There's nothing else.

Ooooooh, now I remembered what it really reminds me of: Nioh! It's exactly the same. Cutscene which has almost no significance to anything, fight sequence, then another cutscene on different location and another fight sequence on that location, rinse and repeat.
Jul 9, 2017 1:57 AM

Oct 2010
hiromatsu said:
the Mikazuki team Oodenta, Namazuo, Manba, Sohayano😚😚

Not to ruin the fun but
Jul 9, 2017 3:12 AM

Oct 2016
Kurai_Kogami said:
hiromatsu said:
the Mikazuki team Oodenta, Namazuo, Manba, Sohayano😚😚

Not to ruin the fun but

Mikazukis team ( which is likely unit 1 )
Jul 9, 2017 3:57 AM
Dec 2016
nina4life said:
This feels like one of those old Playstation games

2 minutes cutscene
Fight sequence
2 minutes cutscene explaining X
Fight sequence
2 minutes cutscene with comedic dialogue
Fight sequence

There's almost no context, almost no explanation of what the fuck's going on, why's it going on, or anything else.
4/10 so far for me

It looks nice, but that's literaly it. There's nothing else.

Ooooooh, now I remembered what it really reminds me of: Nioh! It's exactly the same. Cutscene which has almost no significance to anything, fight sequence, then another cutscene on different location and another fight sequence on that location, rinse and repeat.

What else do you need to explain? They had explained almost everything.
Jul 9, 2017 6:38 AM

May 2012
The anime is so boring ! Just good animation with no story and no likable character. ANd for some reason, it has no females

I wil still watch the 3rd episode if I don't like it then I will drop t.

Jul 9, 2017 6:48 AM

Jun 2016
Why is everyone in this show so freaking handsome? Especially Izuminokami with his long black hair. Ugh. Ugh. So distracting. Hahaha jk. This show's getting more pretty interesting. I'm so hooked.

The preview part is pretty unique. Hahah. Love it!

And I have one question: what do they mean by they're objects? I've never read the source material, so can someone please tell me?

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jul 9, 2017 7:07 AM
Feb 2017
just wanna ask... is Ufotable use a different technique in making the animation of this series.. since its look very fluid and very consistence
just interested
Jul 9, 2017 8:07 AM

Jul 2016
Kalafina voice really soothing in my ear. :3

Pretty decent episode. Some introduction of characters and the conflict between the time retrogade army. Got my interest in the last part of the episode.
Jul 9, 2017 8:54 AM

May 2017
TheDoggoneGirl said:
Why is everyone in this show so freaking handsome? Especially Izuminokami with his long black hair. Ugh. Ugh. So distracting. Hahaha jk. This show's getting more pretty interesting. I'm so hooked.

And I have one question: what do they mean by they're objects? I've never read the source material, so can someone please tell me?
you should read the synopsis, all of them except the saniwa are sword, thats why they're say as object in this ep. All of the char are sword in real life even their previous owner/master are real person and a famous one. As example kanesan and horikawa are Hijikata sword from shinsengumi and Mutsunokami is Sakamoto ryoma sword. You can googling it. :)
Jul 9, 2017 9:16 AM
Dec 2015
The negative reception in this episode is already getting old, if anything, the only taxing part of the ep is Mucchan's eating habits. But that wasn't much, he's still precious. The introduction is necessary for the newcomers and yet I only see fans complaining. Ofc, you already know but the characters cannot be expected to know everyone's history and each other that much.

I think what will destroy the series' reception are those hating on the chosen swords and wishing it's their favorite that was casted. I mean I may just be lucky that Mutsu and Izumi are like my two faves but that doesn't mean that if it were anyone else I'd be hating on them. I'll still watch them and enjoy learning about them.
Jul 9, 2017 9:33 AM
Jul 2018
I liked that foreign guy's engrish lol. Slow ep, but it picked up at the end. The ED was nice though
also
Jul 9, 2017 10:04 AM

Oct 2010
thepath said:
ANd for some reason, it has no females

The game barely had any female characters. It's one of those male cast focused anime; same with all-female cast animes that have little to no male characters?

Well the inn lady is one of the female character in the episode at least if you wanna count that.
Jul 9, 2017 3:00 PM

Apr 2014
My daily dose of Kalafina is accomplished, thank you, bye.
Jul 9, 2017 4:34 PM

Mar 2009
I have a dumb question. Why are there no female swords? Do swords only have one gender? Is it like Kancolle where the ships are only female?
Jul 9, 2017 6:10 PM

Oct 2016
Mormegil said:
I have a dumb question. Why are there no female swords? Do swords only have one gender? Is it like Kancolle where the ships are only female?

Touken Ranbu is the female player equivalent of Kancolle and all of the swords are guys. There are two swords that look female but they're both cross dressers ( or traps as they would be called in the Anime community ). There will be no female swords in Touken Ranbu because in this franchise, Sword Tsukumogami are exclusively male. However, there is another game that s like Touken Ranbu but has nothing to do ith it other than being swords as people called Tenka Hyakken. Its fairly new and its swords as girls.
Jul 9, 2017 6:22 PM

Oct 2016
thepath said:
The anime is so boring ! Just good animation with no story and no likable character. ANd for some reason, it has no females

Its adapted from a game where there are no female characters. None. Nada. The game focuses on the Swordmen who are, as the name suggests, male. There are no female swords because its like kancolle but with swords that are guys instead of ships that are girls. And time travel. And other things kancolle probably doesnt have. Also, like the other person said, you do in fact see females here and there in this anime but they aren't important to the plot.
Jul 9, 2017 6:27 PM
Jan 2008
thepath said:

It's a game that features male swords. You want females? Go read the millions of fan fiction or go see the fanart where you get a female Saniwa x Whomever....

It's the male version of Kancolle.

The only nitpick I have this episode: Goddamn why is Yagen being a bitch? Game Yagen is more outgoing...
Jul 9, 2017 6:28 PM
Jan 2008
Mormegil said:

Bingo.

There might be female characters here and there in this series, but it's the swords who are the stars afterall.
Jul 9, 2017 6:31 PM

Oct 2016
GChan said:
thepath said:

It's a game that features male swords. You want females? Go read the millions of fan fiction or go see the fanart where you get a female Saniwa x Whomever....

The only nitpick I have this episode: Goddamn why is Yagen being a bitch? Game Yagen is more outgoing...

Right? Ufotable really went out of their way to make the characters as ooc as possible. First it was Horikawa being too emo and whiny. Then it was Kanesan being too cool to the point where it defeats the purpose of his character ( they also claim he's hot headed when that was never a part of his character in any medium except maybe Katsugeki when even here he doesn't show signs of being hot headed ). And now its Yagen for some reason acting like an ice queen! I dunno if mutsu and tonbokiri are ooc but they were the only likeable characters in this episode. Even though mutsunokami was a bit annoying at first haha.
Jul 9, 2017 8:09 PM

Jan 2014
Dropped it. Incredibly boring, characters seem dry as hell. It did look nice, though.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jul 9, 2017 11:35 PM
Dec 2016
Mudadio said:
I liked that foreign guy's engrish lol. Slow ep, but it picked up at the end. The ED was nice though
also

It is Dutch. There is no Englishmen in that time period.
Jul 10, 2017 12:00 AM
Dec 2016
Mormegil said:

In history, sword is the soul of the samurai and only male can become samurai so it is understandable that the swords would be men. For KanColle, the Latin word for “ship” — Navis — is feminine and the sailors- both ancient and modern- often referred to ship with the feminine pronoun.
Jul 10, 2017 1:18 AM

Jun 2016
livexevil said:
TheDoggoneGirl said:

you should read the synopsis, all of them except the saniwa are sword, thats why they're say as object in this ep. All of the char are sword in real life even their previous owner/master are real person and a famous one. As example kanesan and horikawa are Hijikata sword from shinsengumi and Mutsunokami is Sakamoto ryoma sword. You can googling it. :)

Hahahaha. Alrighty, I will. Thank you! :)

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jul 10, 2017 2:52 AM

Jul 2017
I basically watching this for the pleasant graphic presentation and Kane

I do hope the plot picks up or even that won't make me continue for long
Jul 10, 2017 2:58 AM
Jul 2018
Eh, pretty okay to good episode I supposed.

This episode was mostly to go and give a bit more of character to the cast in a sense? Just a bit of introduction and it works decently. I'm not really complaining though since I'm good with this.

Not going to lie it might take a bit of time to just get to the main plotline or whatever the studio is going to go and give, dunno. Pretty sure they can come up with something it just takes a bit of time to do so.

Also if anyone is asking "Why aren't there female swords in this?" well Touken Ranbu is basically a male version of Kantai Collection, just like with KanColle being full of girls that are ships, these are males that are swords. It's pretty easy to get it especially when you see the original source and how it looks like at face value at least.
Jul 10, 2017 8:46 AM
Jul 2018
emilyhime19 said:
Mudadio said:
also

Ohhh I thought he was saying "please stop"
Jul 10, 2017 9:33 AM

May 2009
I don't know what to say for now.. I'll just say... Great graphics as always!! *-*

I'll look forward to the next episode :)

“I despise common sense.
I’ve seen the world from every possible angle.
This cruel, ridiculous, beautiful world.”

- Lacie Baskerville

||||
Jul 10, 2017 2:58 PM

Mar 2013
Does anyone know whether or not Shokudaikiri Mitsutada and Ookurikara are going to make an appearance in this one? I really wanted to see them animated by Ufotable.
Jul 10, 2017 6:59 PM

Oct 2016
Smirker said:
Does anyone know whether or not Shokudaikiri Mitsutada and Ookurikara are going to make an appearance in this one? I really wanted to see them animated by Ufotable.

Not that we know of. Only 12 swords were confirmed to be in this anime and neither of them were listed among the others. Maybe they'll appear in the season 2 that Katsugeki is sure to get
Jul 10, 2017 8:41 PM
Dec 2016
Mudadio said:
emilyhime19 said:

Ohhh I thought he was saying "please stop"

Apparently, he said "gelieve te stoppen".
Jul 10, 2017 11:41 PM

Oct 2008
Yagen Toushirou is so cold! He's cool! I like him! He's my fave!
Kalafina for ED was glorious!!!
4/5.

Jul 11, 2017 2:15 AM

Jun 2012
Kalafina saved me. .thanks for the ED

Dropping postpone for the moment.
Jul 11, 2017 8:34 AM

Jul 2011
It was pretty okay. But I think the second half is not as good as the first one. I guess I have to rewatch it.
Jul 11, 2017 9:46 AM

Jul 2014
to be honest i think this anime will not have very deep story but it's still very pretty (like every ufotable serie). And oh boy that Kalafina ed <3 (i think every anime is a little better with them music ;P).
Jul 11, 2017 12:26 PM
Jan 2017
I think it looks fantastic, but the second episode was extremely boring and cliche. The setting and the premise of the story are very promising, but I feel like this will be pretty dull.
The last ufo Anime I watched was Tales of Zelestria and also here I had this very boring feeling while watching it, until I dropped it.
Jul 11, 2017 12:44 PM
Jan 2008
MikazukiRanbu said:
GChan said:

Right? Ufotable really went out of their way to make the characters as ooc as possible. First it was Horikawa being too emo and whiny. Then it was Kanesan being too cool to the point where it defeats the purpose of his character ( they also claim he's hot headed when that was never a part of his character in any medium except maybe Katsugeki when even here he doesn't show signs of being hot headed ). And now its Yagen for some reason acting like an ice queen! I dunno if mutsu and tonbokiri are ooc but they were the only likeable characters in this episode. Even though mutsunokami was a bit annoying at first haha.

I thought Tonbo and Muuchan were okay. Actually Muuchan stole the show this episode.

And I actually like this show's version of Kanesan better. Maybe it's because he's not so much a spaz? LOL
Jul 11, 2017 1:15 PM

Oct 2016
GChan said:
MikazukiRanbu said:

I thought Tonbo and Muuchan were okay. Actually Muuchan stole the show this episode.

And I actually like this show's version of Kanesan better. Maybe it's because he's not so much a spaz? LOL

Game Kanesan ( or any other adaptation ) is spazzy? He actually seems cool but dorky at the same time imo. This kanesan seems like a generic cool leader type character and its boring/ makes him less interesting and fun/will take some warming up to for me but to each their own opinion, of course. I agree though mutsu did steal the show - its hard to deny he's cute as heck in Katsugeki. Like an energetic puppy. And tonbokiri is surprisingly very cute as well. Didn't think I'd ever end up saying that! The art director(?) Of katsugeki did say to look out for mutsu and tonbokiri and I guess this is why lol
Jul 11, 2017 10:32 PM
Aug 2014
In the first ep I thought they made it sound like numbers in battle meant a lot, but in all the action scenes they really make the retrograde army minions seem like pushovers :x

Sit down m'boy and let me tell you a story about determinism...
Jul 12, 2017 7:51 AM
Jan 2017
The OP was good and the ED was great(Kalafina fan)

This episode was a pretty talky one to introduce characters and introduce the concept of time traveling weapons more. The quality of animation and the action sequences is stunning and what you expect out of a ufotable production.
Jul 12, 2017 8:28 PM
Nov 2016
Okay! is just me or was there many names and stuff that it felt overwhelming? I know there's a game but i don't like when anime just expect us to know things. Hope we get some character development and deeper into the cast. It did get a bit bloodier which is (forgive me but) kinda nice<3 Like wow everybody died! What did they travel for? Also no idea what that foreigner old man was saying haha. What language was that🤔

Was it just me who yeyyy 'ed at the outro? So beautiful and omg that moon. You can tell they worked very hard on animation and visuals. I love that. Like the "teleport" in the last episode!!! Its looked like cherry blossoms on fire so beautiful.✨ 🤓

I... I say this with love! I like the show but! its not on par with the animation! It needs to step it up! ❤️ Would hate to see hard work go in vain. Still hoping for best 🤗
Jul 13, 2017 2:46 PM

Aug 2016
Not sure about this show. Not really impressed. Gonna give it a few more episodes though.
Jul 13, 2017 6:18 PM
Oct 2014
thepath said:

Yeah I wondered about that aswell.
The animation level is awesome, but sadly it looks more like gay yaoi harem show.
Propably mostly women watching this for overly muscular male bodys and gay shota boys. (?)

Gonna give it one more episode before i drop it.
Jul 15, 2017 12:23 PM
Mar 2016
This was quite disappointing in my opinion ,the art style and production value is amazing but this episode isn't as good as 1st..First episode explore equally characters,action,story and was a bit weak in world development and it was really good episode 1 .In second episode they put much more word and characters development and that made the episode slow and in the middle when was the biggest character development/introduction it start to be annoying .Don`t get me wrong I like the anime but first episode was way better wait for episode 3.

Jul 16, 2017 2:22 AM

Jul 2008
Those 2 watching the steamship are going to take a lot of shit from the new commander next episode
Jul 17, 2017 2:15 AM

Jan 2013
Dropped - could not get into this one. Really tried but a bit too boring and all over the place.
Jul 19, 2017 4:18 PM

Aug 2016
Animation seems pretty neat and production good. I didn't and well I still don't like characters design, also their voices seems pretty off of some(Especially tanto... guy?). And they stinks yaoi to me. But to be honest, learning they are famous historical weapons in human bodies... well I did not expect that. That also explain why shinsengumi sword and tosa sword with gun don't like each other.(no I have no idea what their names are, but i remember what weapons they are made off.) I like historical parallers like that.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 20, 2017 1:03 AM
Dec 2016
AeolusT55 said:
thepath said:

Yeah I wondered about that aswell.
The animation level is awesome, but sadly it looks more like gay yaoi harem show.
Propably mostly women watching this for overly muscular male bodys and gay shota boys. (?)

Gonna give it one more episode before i drop it.

It is not gay until you see them kissing each other. Honestly, this is not a Yaoi show. There is nothing point to that. Gamaran also has a all male main cast but it is a shounen battle manga.
Jul 20, 2017 1:11 AM
Dec 2016
Martin_Taylor said:
Animation seems pretty neat and production good. I didn't and well I still don't like characters design, also their voices seems pretty off of some(Especially tanto... guy?). And they stinks yaoi to me. But to be honest, learning they are famous historical weapons in human bodies... well I did not expect that. That also explain why shinsengumi sword and tosa sword with gun don't like each other.(no I have no idea what their names are, but i remember what weapons they are made off.) I like historical parallers like that.

The selling point of Touken Ranbu is the character design. Their clothes and personality were based on their previous masters. You will also see swords that are from the same school have similar clothes.
Yagen's voice may seem off at first but you will get use to it. He has that design because he is a Tantou ( small sword that is used for personal protection or a good luck charm). The reason I think they gave a manly voice for him is that his personality is more mature than most of the cast and the fact that he was demon king Oda Nobunaga's treasure sword that go down with him along with Honnouji.
emilyhime19Jul 20, 2017 1:28 AM
Jul 20, 2017 4:12 AM

Aug 2016
@emilyhime19 Ok, young hime-sama I got it :D, no need to be defensive, I don't know anything about this show, just watched first two episodes. I will give a try to that. But I swear to kami, if some of those guys will show too much affection for each other... But Oda, you said? I knew that one will be interesting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2017

45 by _MushiRock11_ »»
Feb 10, 4:44 AM

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2017

88 by Ryuzaki775 »»
Jul 12, 2022 11:44 AM

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2017

246 by A-Simple-Squire »»
Mar 20, 2022 2:24 PM

» Can I watch this without watching Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru first?

Kirukato05 - Sep 9, 2021

2 by Kirukato05 »»
Sep 10, 2021 12:40 AM

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2017

41 by Cylico »»
Nov 15, 2019 10:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.