Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 9, 2012 6:05 AM

Nov 2011
Things are getting pretty interesting!

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Oct 8, 2012 7:23 PM
Sep 2012
I don't think I could so easily forgive someone who took my glasses. Poor Chihaya, her sister just hung up on her.
Jan 6, 2013 7:56 PM

Apr 2010
This show really good! Can't believe it took this long to find it~
Jan 18, 2013 5:22 PM

Apr 2012
That was pretty low of Taichi to take the glasses. If it had been me, I wouldn't have been able to forgive him like that, at least not before taking out some of my anger on him. Speaking of jerks, I feel like punching Chihayafuru's sister through a wall for being such a conceited and uncaring prick who wouldn't know compassion even if it hit her in the face and left a permanent dent.

(goes to take some deep breaths in a corner)

I still loved the episode and the general air of heartwarming friendship feels :3
cladinpinkJan 18, 2013 5:27 PM
Jan 25, 2013 9:39 PM

Jul 2009
love the show :D

im glad Chihaya is fighting for Wataya, let that stupid Taichi kid get jealous all over.

and Taichi wouldn't even score anything if he didn't took Wataya's glasses.

i do hope Ayase ends up with Wataya, that Taichi kid if such a jerk.

and i do agree that all of the parents here are the worst.

always expecting something and not caring what their children want.

great episode!!

the next one will probably modern one now.

glad this is a 25 episode anime, been awhile since we had one like that ^^
Mar 8, 2013 2:30 PM

Aug 2008
Young Chihaya is so cute. That is all.
Mar 11, 2013 7:03 PM
Aug 2007
ughhhhhhh, taichi is such a little c**t... deserved to get punched, 1st class bully...
Mar 16, 2013 1:07 AM

Aug 2010
That was quite a touching episode 2.. Oh dear their families (or at least Taichi's and Chi's)...it's kind of disheartening to see their families acting that way to them especially when they're quite young. No wonder they'll get lonely
May 13, 2013 2:18 AM

Jan 2013
Taichi, that fucker. Why the hell did that piss me off so much. UGHHHH ROOOAR.
I'll never forgive him.
Jul 2, 2013 6:10 AM

May 2012
Damn wonderful episode! Amazing back story sure makes a good character introduction and start of the whole series! Really like where this is going, lets see what's next!
Jul 16, 2013 6:08 AM
May 2012
The atmosphere is really nice really relaxing for me.
Jul 20, 2013 4:03 PM

Jul 2008
I might drop this if Taichi becomes the love interest.
Aug 5, 2013 5:27 PM

Sep 2012
Tengai said:
The atmosphere is really nice really relaxing for me.

Yeah, for me too.
Aug 7, 2013 6:14 PM

Jun 2013
Just awesome!
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Dec 23, 2013 6:49 AM

Nov 2011
4/5

Noo! The episode is not bad, but can not find it as engaging as the first, falls to a whisper. Chihaya is a pretty good character.
Narration can describe well the behavior of the children at a young age, and also manages to not make the game boring Karutha.
The OST is not bad!
Dec 24, 2013 10:55 AM

Apr 2012
Wow some terrible parenting skills going on in this episode, one overbearing and the other not even caring! You show them kids! FIGHT ON!.... I may have been overdoing the whiskey....
Mar 25, 2014 1:42 AM

Jan 2009
1. Young Taichi = jealous bitch

2. How can they allow a substitution in a game?

3. Card game is boring, but the characters are interesting

5/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
May 5, 2014 9:21 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Poor Chihaya, her mom and sister didn't care about her award oh but they care about her sister being scouted for being pretty. Smh

Taichi's mom is also kind of mean since she told Taichi to make better use of his athletic skills since he lost to Chihaya in karuta.

Taichi again is a jerk for stealing Wataya's glasses but at least he came clean in the end and returned them to him.

May 20, 2014 2:47 PM

Aug 2013
What an horrible brat Taichi was... Well, with the horrible mother he have, I think I know where he got those shitty values from :P

Chihaya and Wataya are so fun to watch :3
Seeing them throwing and jumping on cards like crazy make me happy somehow xD
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jun 27, 2014 2:18 PM

Apr 2013
The match was actually really enjoyable for me o.o

I find it pretty strange haha...

But dang... that big sister was harsh O.o

Aug 12, 2014 10:37 AM

Jan 2014
Left me pretty speechless again. Touching~
Aug 18, 2014 9:35 PM

Jun 2012
If Wataya is really poor then he should have worried about his glasses more. Replacing that shit is expensive.
Oct 10, 2014 2:26 PM
Nov 2013
Sol_Ou said:
If Wataya is really poor then he should have worried about his glasses more. Replacing that shit is expensive.

so I wasn't the only one thinking about that *relieved*
Oct 20, 2014 7:07 PM

Jun 2013
Really liking the atmosphere and pacing of the series :)
Nov 11, 2014 6:27 AM
Jun 2013
I don't like Taichi at all! What a selfish jerk. If this is a love triangle, I wish him the worst. Wataya for the win!
Nov 17, 2014 3:51 AM

Dec 2013
Still events set in the past. I wanna see bijin Chihaya again :|
Dec 11, 2014 3:16 PM

Jun 2013
Seriously why is everyone such an asshole to Wataya? They judge him on the spot for no reason at all, and this is a common thing in anime as I have discovered. People who are new, different or "odd" are being isolated and people fucking love to gossip and talk trash right in front of them. It's sickening to watch really. Sure I was a kid too and I used to do stupid stuff, but not on a level like this. Is this something that's special with Japan and their society? To make people who are "different" feel like crap while boosting their own self proclaimed superiority?
Mar 10, 2015 3:55 PM

Oct 2013
AnimeSweden said:
Seriously why is everyone such an asshole to Wataya? They judge him on the spot for no reason at all, and this is a common thing in anime as I have discovered. People who are new, different or "odd" are being isolated and people fucking love to gossip and talk trash right in front of them. It's sickening to watch really. Sure I was a kid too and I used to do stupid stuff, but not on a level like this. Is this something that's special with Japan and their society? To make people who are "different" feel like crap while boosting their own self proclaimed superiority?

Makes me wonder too...everytime.
Apr 1, 2015 12:25 AM

Nov 2013
GAHHHH YOUNG TAICHI IS SUCH A DICK!

I gotta give him credit for admitting to Wataya for stealing his glasses though.

Pretty good episode.

7/10

May 27, 2015 10:54 AM
Jan 2012
This episode was much better than the first one. Wataya understanding why Taichi stole the glasses and Chihaya still talking to him even after the mean things he said. They are much better people than me.

Anyways, if Chihaya ends with Taichi, I will hate this show :/

And what's with the awful moms (and the sister)? Both Chihaya and Taichi's are questionable to say the least.

Lastly, kid Chihaya with boy-ish clothes is so adorable. Tomboys <3
May 27, 2015 10:56 AM
Jan 2012
AnimeSweden said:
Same. I always wondered why this is so common in anime. Like, I know kids can be mean. I did mean things and other kids did mean things to me. But nothing on this level.
Sep 8, 2015 2:16 AM

Mar 2012
animeguy17 said:
I don't like Taichi at all! What a selfish jerk. If this is a love triangle, I wish him the worst. Wataya for the win!

I hate love triangles but these 2 episodes have made it pretty easy to root for Arata lol.

AnimeSweden said:

It's pretty sickening indeed.
Sep 23, 2015 10:01 AM
May 2015
Taichi, you are actually lame.
Dec 25, 2015 8:40 PM

Nov 2012
Two solid episodes in a row,can already tell this is going to be a great series.

Was a little on the fence with the karuta being interesting to watch during the first episode but that changed after watching this episode, can't wait to see where the series goes from here.

Also the characters in this (excluding Tachi :p) are really likable and love seeing the way they interact.
VanishingKiraDec 25, 2015 8:44 PM
Dec 27, 2015 2:47 PM

May 2013
I don't know why but I think that I'll love Mashima <3
"bad guy" as him tend to be more interesting throughout episodes.
May 8, 2016 3:40 PM
Dec 2014
Was this meant to be touching. Taichi is an annoying cunt.
Jul 5, 2016 4:06 PM

Jul 2015
Yeah i was also pissed trough the whole episode, he is a piece of shit, i wanted him exposed so bad...
Aug 17, 2016 5:47 PM

Aug 2014
Although its just episode two it was touching maybe because its easy to relate to the characters.
What can i say? Kids xD

Great Episode.
Oct 3, 2016 9:39 AM

Dec 2014
well a touching episode.... I understand how in anime people are open to each other but not in real life though
Mar 16, 2017 6:02 AM

Oct 2012
Taichi is such a brat, well I don't blame him. Probably because of his parents and a bit from his friends

Aww this is nice
I like it, simple story and the music is beautiful
"Signature removed"
Apr 20, 2017 2:13 AM

Feb 2013
Taichi is really lame, if I were Wataya I would have told Chihaya about the glasses.
Her sister was cold and awful when she said that karuta is lame.
May 6, 2017 11:00 PM

Sep 2016
I hate to say this, but I can hardly relate to the card game as something exciting enough to make you be so obsessed with.
I was super pissed off when I saw someone commenting on Hikaru no Go thread calling Go not as exciting as ball sports and saying they didn't understand why the MCs were so emotional & passionate about a chess game & even cried over their failure in the contest.
BUT, I totally respect & relate to the character's feelings & passionate about the thing they love.

Another great ep, I like the heroine's personality so much and kinda curious how she grows up so outgoing in such a family. Looking forward to what will happen in the following eps.
Jul 5, 2017 10:10 AM

Jun 2013
I don't get why Taichi's narration was necessary. I'm sure we would have understood that he was jealous, without it being spelled out like that.

The first episode was kind of fun, but I wasn't feeling this one. Maybe I would have preferred it if half of it had been set in the high school time line again.

It seems like the trend where everyone except for Wataya and Chihaya is a jerk continues and I'm not digging it. It feels like the creators didn't trust the audience to be able to get on Chihaya's side on their own volition. The moms and Chihaya's sister are ridiculously jerkish, too. It's not that it was a surprise, but a bit of finesse would have gone a long way. I'll admit that it's s a pet peeve of mine when a teen drama implores me to empathize with its leads without giving me a chance to get to know them first.

The part where Wataya was banging on the floor was pretty funny, so it wasn't all bad at least. In fact, Wataya is my favorite, even if he's just an innocent cinnamon roll with little depth so far. He just amuses me with his karuta moves, those scenes remind me of Sakamoto desu ga. "Secret Technique: Punish The Floor!"
LeeTailorJul 5, 2017 11:20 AM
Jul 6, 2017 5:15 AM
Jul 2018
It seems like we diverge in our appreciation of an animated story this time. Even with the narration there seems to be occasional disagreement over his actions and the reasons behind them.

Personally I like the elementary school phase and I also think I understand why it was included although I'm not as fond of the sequence of events in the animated story as in the manga. The original audience will be somewhat familiar with the material to which kids the age of Chihaya and her classmates are introduced. It is a quick reminder of Ogura Hyakunin Isshu, in my opinion essential to understanding the story.
Personally I also think there is pay off to this set up in the story we've been told so far. I won't try to persuade you to go have a look in which form that comes later, however.... Not everyone connects with these characters, nor do we all connect the same way.
removed-userJul 6, 2017 5:18 AM
Jul 6, 2017 1:26 PM

Jun 2013

I also noticed that the manga took slightly different paths to arrive at the same conclusion, although I probably don't see the big picture like you do. Even so, it's likely that reading and watching in parallel took a lot of novelty out of the adaptation for me. Not to imply that it was your fault. I probably should have trusted my instincts and proceeded my way after chapter 1 and episode 1.

It seems I couldn't pick up on Taichi's inner conflict, at least nothing beyond the dilemma of whether to only play to win or to follow Chihaya.

As I said, this is not the first time that drama in the setup caused me to disconnect. It just means that this particular configuration was too much to take this time. Maybe I'll revisit the manga or the show and it'll be different. It's happened before!

I definitely felt like I was severely out of the loop the whole time, and I didn't know how significant Ogura Hyakunin Isshu was. That book is so old it's amazing that readers today can understand it without a dictionary. I guess Japanese didn't change as much as English did in the same time span, though I don't want to jump to conclusions.
Jul 6, 2017 6:26 PM
Jul 2018
LeeTailor said:
... I definitely felt like I was severely out of the loop the whole time, and I didn't know how significant Ogura Hyakunin Isshu was. That book is so old it's amazing that readers today can understand it without a dictionary. I guess Japanese didn't change as much as English did in the same time span, though I don't want to jump to conclusions.
Singling out and responding to this paragraph though your other observations are interesting too. The language of the original poetry collected by Fujiwara no Teika is quite often not understandable to readers of present day Japanese. What we see Chihaya and her classmates studying are present day translations into "modern" Japanese. The writing too is transliterated into a different "script". The poets composed in a writing system no longer in common use and for some of the words in their poems there are neither known present day equivalents nor "dictionaries and other source materials" from the time of their composition to clarify what those words -by themselves or in the context of the poems- could have meant.
Not everyone wants to do this but, reading and watching the series with reference works within reach makes it even better, to me. Would love to see an in-depth exploration by someone academically trained in Japanese languages, genuinely knowledgeable about the poetry and the time periods who is willing to join these conversations to specifically address this manga and its adaptation. With all due respect to Suetsugu-sensei. The bigger picture is very large indeed and I enjoy its exploration, as a lay person.

To me adaptations can stand on their own but especially for people who are interested in both stories, both manga and anime, it is essential to see that some panels weren't included.

Your point about getting invested and attached to the characters makes sense too though and I agree with that even when I focus on other elements of this story. Maybe you'll get a better connection next time you give this series a try or maybe it will never resonate with you the way other stories do...
removed-userJul 6, 2017 6:30 PM
Jul 8, 2017 12:50 PM

Jun 2013

I see, so some elements of the original volume are still up for debate. That makes sense.

Thanks for elaborating!
Jul 8, 2017 4:21 PM
Jul 2018
LeeTailor said:

I see, so some elements of the original volume are still up for debate. That makes sense.

Thanks for elaborating!
You're welcome.

Since addressing the rest of your remark here would deal mostly with comments about chapters and panels from the manga, it may be better if we continued this conversation in a different place. I've enjoyed our brief exchange here though.
Aug 13, 2017 7:16 AM

Nov 2016
Chihaya had her first real match and won.

Taichi annoyed the fuck out of me, but he's on his way to redeem his image.

Very powerful episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Dec 13, 2011

146 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Nov 29, 2011

215 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 3:57 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Nov 1, 2011

182 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 1:58 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Confucius - Oct 10, 2011

115 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 11, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Mar 27, 2012

232 by Euroqean »»
Feb 10, 2:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.