Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 3, 2017 10:09 AM

Jun 2011
I know this is by the same people that do Ghibli but this looks too much like a ghibli film. The way that it was produced, directed, written, designed, animated, and drawn screams Ghibli movies. There are way too many Ghibli movies written all over this movie.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Jul 7, 2017 7:23 PM

Feb 2015
What's the problem here? Obviously a film by the people who made Marnie, a Ghibli film, is going to feel a lot like a Ghibli film. Studio doesn't matter, the staff does. If it's a good film it will speak for itself. The only reason this isn't under the ghibli brand to begin with is because they wanted to form a studio that operated under a more modern production method.
Jul 7, 2017 7:55 PM

Jun 2011
AnimEva said:
What's the problem here? Obviously a film by the people who made Marnie, a Ghibli film, is going to feel a lot like a Ghibli film. Studio doesn't matter, the staff does. If it's a good film it will speak for itself. The only reason this isn't under the ghibli brand to begin with is because they wanted to form a studio that operated under a more modern production method.

But they should've drawn it more differently I mean, look at My Neighbors the Yamdas? It doesn't look like a Ghibli film at all. It lookes more like a comic book, but still they should've tried to make it look more noticeablly different.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Jul 7, 2017 8:01 PM

Feb 2015
Why? It's a style they've been honing for their entire careers and it works. This honestly just sounds like a personal nag to me. It's not like Miyazaki or Ghibli own such an aesthetic. Miyazaki himself merely lifted it from his previous works and experience at TMS and Toei working on projects like Lupin the Third and the World Masterpiece Theater series.

Also, there never was a set in stone "house style" for Ghibli's films. A handful of them, most notably Takahata's body of works, looked entirely different from one another. It makes sense that Yamada's looked like a comic book because it was based on one.
Jul 7, 2017 8:06 PM

Jun 2011
AnimEva said:
Why? It's a style they've been honing for their entire careers and it works. This honestly just sounds like a personal nag to me. It's not like Miyazaki or Ghibli own such an aesthetic. Miyazaki himself merely lifted it from his previous works and experience at TMS and Toei working on projects like Lupin the Third and the World Masterpiece Theater series.

Also, there never was a set in stone "house style" for Ghibli's films. A handful of them, most notably Takahata's body of works, looked entirely different from one another. It makes sense that Yamada's looked like a comic book because it was based on one.

And... what's wrong with having your own aesthetic? When I draw something, I don't always stick to my comfort zone of how I draw something, I usually make each picture drawn differently. I'm ranting about how conservative these Ghibli people are. I prefer variety to routine. It gets on my nerves when everything's same old same old.

Jul 7, 2017 8:11 PM

Feb 2015
You don't seem to grasp the concept that this IS their aesthetic. And obviously there is nothing wrong with having a unique style, as I not once implied that. This seems like something you'd take issue with even if this was under the "Studio Ghibli" banner. If you crave variety so badly there's a lot out there in the medium, far too much to be wasting time complaining about people who choose to draw in a particular style utilizing that specific style for their next project. It's tantamount to complaining about Mamoru Hosoda or Satoshi Kon's films because they share similar visual designs.
JoshimatsooJul 7, 2017 8:16 PM
Jul 7, 2017 8:33 PM

Jun 2011
AnimEva said:
You don't seem to grasp the concept that this IS their aesthetic. And obviously there is nothing wrong with having a unique style, as I not once implied that. This seems like something you'd take issue with even if this was under the "Studio Ghibli" banner. If you crave variety so badly there's a lot out there in the medium, far too much to be wasting time complaining about people who choose to draw in a particular style utilizing that specific style for their next project.

Yes, I would complain if this is under the Studio Ghibli production because they stuck to this specific style for almost 30 years now and I'm tired of it. It's time to create something a bit more different than Kiki, Howl, Chihiro etc.. I don't always write nor design my works to be similar to my other works. I don't keep a specific style of writing nor designing.

I do not dislike all Studio Ghibli movies, they have their hits and misses.

There are other companies such as Bandai and Sunrise that don't always use the same style of producing for their projects. Satoshi Kon doesn't even write and direct movies that are similar to his other works.

I feel like you're missing my point here. I'm not giving these people a hard time and say it should look far from a Ghibli film. And some companies put in small details to in a movie to call back a particular movie. But THIS having Kiki, Howl, Chihiro, Ponyo combined is too much, it's like they took all four of these things if not more, mixed them in a blender, and came out with a movie. I'm also confused as to why the characters cry big bubble tears in their movies.

Jul 7, 2017 9:10 PM

Feb 2015
"I'm also confused as to why the characters cry big bubble tears in their movies."

All anime characters do that. It isn't an exclusive thing to Ghibli. We weren't even discussing your opinions on Ghibli films so not sure why you brought that up.

It's also similar to complaining about Disney films often sharing a common aesthetic. It's iconic and appealing, why bother mixing it up just for the sake of it? But that doesn't mean they haven't occasionally tried something new visually (as Ghibli did most recently with Princess Kaguya). It doesn't matter if the tones and stories behind each Kon film are different, as we're solely discussing the art here. Grave of the Fireflies and Princess Mononoke certainly have vastly different tones compared to films like Ponyo and Totoro, yet they also retain similar visual styles.

Also, it's not really relevant to reference studios like Sunrise for having works of differing styles when unlike Ghibli they don't really have an in-house staff and are more often composed of freelancers. Take a look at one of the few other anime studios with a largely inhouse staff, Kyoto Animation, and you'll see that they often employ a consistent design philosophy across the body of their work as well. It's just common sense that a group of the same people working on the majority of projects will lead to a more coherent visual identity than a studio that hires unique staff for each individual project.
Jul 7, 2017 9:45 PM

Jun 2011
AnimEva said:
"I'm also confused as to why the characters cry big bubble tears in their movies."

All anime characters do that. It isn't an exclusive thing to Ghibli. We weren't even discussing your opinions on Ghibli films so not sure why you brought that up.

It's also similar to complaining about Disney films often sharing a common aesthetic. It's iconic and appealing, why bother mixing it up just for the sake of it? But that doesn't mean they haven't occasionally tried something new visually (as Ghibli did most recently with Princess Kaguya). It doesn't matter if the tones and stories behind each Kon film are different, as we're solely discussing the art here. Grave of the Fireflies and Princess Mononoke certainly have vastly different tones compared to films like Ponyo and Totoro, yet they also retain similar visual styles.

Also, it's not really relevant to reference studios like Sunrise for having works of differing styles when unlike Ghibli they don't really have an in-house staff and are more often composed of freelancers. Take a look at one of the few other anime studios with a largely inhouse staff, Kyoto Animation, and you'll see that they often employ a consistent design philosophy across the body of their work as well. It's just common sense that a group of the same people working on the majority of projects will lead to a more coherent visual identity than a studio that hires unique staff for each individual project.

Ghibli has been around way longer than Kyoto. I don't know why you are picking a fight with me when it obviously arises from misunderstandings. You are being too critical over me critizing a movie for its art when you probably don't have a lot of experience in art and before you judge me, you need to get more experience in art. Nobody wants to watch a movie that imitates a style of many other previous works.

And what does Disney have to do with any of this? Take a look at films like The Sword in the Stone, they don't have Cinderella, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty etc all in one film. Now look at the difference between Sword in the Stone and Mary. Mary has long hair and face similarity to that of Sophie, it's about a child protagonist on an adventure and facing villains a la Spirited Away, Mary looks like a grown up Ponyo, and she rides a broomstick with a cat a la Kiki's Delivery Service. That is too much references and they should have took away some of that.

Are you even paying attention to what I am saying? It annoys me when people pick a fight for some small reason such as opinions and you didn't even listen to my clarification. I never gave Ghibli a hard time with their art . And not all anime has big tears like in Ghibli movies. Some characters do waterfall comedy tears, oval shaped tears, or even real tears.

Jul 8, 2017 12:14 AM

Mar 2014
There is no such a thing like too much Ghibli.
Jul 8, 2017 5:51 AM

Jun 2011
Andrzej2 said:
There is no such a thing like too much Ghibli.

It's bland when they have to use the same art style all the time. Spirited Away, Howl, Ponyo, Kiki all are reminiscent in this movie.

Jul 8, 2017 10:19 AM
Jan 2017
pinkarray said:
AnimEva said:

Ghibli has been around way longer than Kyoto. I don't know why you are picking a fight with me when it obviously arises from misunderstandings. You are being too critical over me critizing a movie for its art when you probably don't have a lot of experience in art and before you judge me, you need to get more experience in art. Nobody wants to watch a movie that imitates a style of many other previous works.

And what does Disney have to do with any of this? Take a look at films like The Sword in the Stone, they don't have Cinderella, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty etc all in one film. Now look at the difference between Sword in the Stone and Mary. Mary has long hair and face similarity to that of Sophie, it's about a child protagonist on an adventure and facing villains a la Spirited Away, Mary looks like a grown up Ponyo, and she rides a broomstick with a cat a la Kiki's Delivery Service. That is too much references and they should have took away some of that.

Are you even paying attention to what I am saying? It annoys me when people pick a fight for some small reason such as opinions and you didn't even listen to my clarification. I never gave Ghibli a hard time with their art . And not all anime has big tears like in Ghibli movies. Some characters do waterfall comedy tears, oval shaped tears, or even real tears.
] You are starting to sound like a condescending prick at this point. "Facing against villains" is NOT unique to Spirited Away in any way under any definition of unique. Furthermore, stating that you know more about art then them is really dumb, as neither of you were criticizing or defending the art style. You complained about the style being a rip off of previous Ghibli Films in both art and story which in no way requires knowledge of art to defend. Actually, if you ARE actually skilled in art, you should know that artists like to have distinctive styles. Some have more than one but it isn't required. In short, you need to calm down when you talk about your opinion and you do not need to establish that you are better than them to het your point across. Instead just try to look at this fairly.
Jul 8, 2017 11:00 AM

Jun 2011
Jason_Funderberk said:
pinkarray said:

] You are starting to sound like a condescending prick at this point. "Facing against villains" is NOT unique to Spirited Away in any way under any definition of unique. Furthermore, stating that you know more about art then them is really dumb, as neither of you were criticizing or defending the art style. You complained about the style being a rip off of previous Ghibli Films in both art and story which in no way requires knowledge of art to defend. Actually, if you ARE actually skilled in art, you should know that artists like to have distinctive styles. Some have more than one but it isn't required. In short, you need to calm down when you talk about your opinion and you do not need to establish that you are better than them to het your point across. Instead just try to look at this fairly.

Of course I'm condescending and unnice to people who argue with me like they know what art needs. You people probaby don't know a lot about art and are just being easy-to-please anime geeks who just enjoy a movie for what it is, not critique it, assess it, or analyze. You guys are just being cocky know-it-alls and unless you prove that you do know about art and provide some resources why, then you are the ones to blame for your problems,

You guys should not be judging me when I actually have illustrated 17 books and drew about 2 pictures for deviantart and also draw at home and if you look at each of my pictures on DA, at home, and in the three different series of books, you can tell that they barely look the same as the other in terms of style.

I do know that artists have a particular style but look at Miyazaki, he didn't make his films look the same as the others.

I can prove that I read somewhere that you need to have different looks in art to make it not boring.
Angry_Anime_NerdJul 8, 2017 11:09 AM

Jul 8, 2017 2:02 PM

Feb 2017
No one here has been "unnice" to you so far, so if you honestly think that becoming condescending and losing your cool when it comes to a discussion is ok, then obviously you are lacking in your debate skills. "Cocky know-it-alls" -- this is a forum, and this is a thread. Not sure why you're getting offended and feel the need to insult people because you can't handle them sharing their opinion.

Good for you, you know so much about art, and you've "illustrated" a myriad of books, and you even drew pictures for deviantart! Wonderful, do you want a cookie?

Honestly at this point you seem to be trying really, really hard to prove your point by scrounging for things that make your opinion more valid and qualified than anyone else here. Regardless of how good you are at art, or how much you claim to know about it, everyone has different views and perspectives. Some people are perfectly fine with how Miyazaki's films have always continually used the same art style, and you don't need to shove your opinion of the fact that you think it's becoming quite a bit too repetitive and overused by making a blanket statement like, "Nobody wants to watch a movie that imitates a style of many other previous works." Who told you that? It's like you're talking out of your ass. Obviously change is always a great thing, but I can imagine that for some people, the reused style is something they appreciate. Because the continuous use of a familiar art style from years prior, used in the right way of course, can potentially incite sentimentality, and nostalgia.

So going back on topic, just because this film "screams" Ghibli, as long as the plot, character development, and other aspects that make up a good movie stay consistent and don't falter, I think it'll actually be pretty decent. And I don't mind the art at all, in fact, it's rather exciting to be able to see another film utilizing visuals similar to the ones that I loved during my childhood so long ago.
Jul 8, 2017 2:22 PM

Jun 2011
Muuu said:
No one here has been "unnice" to you so far, so if you honestly think that becoming condescending and losing your cool when it comes to a discussion is ok, then obviously you are lacking in your debate skills. "Cocky know-it-alls" -- this is a forum, and this is a thread. Not sure why you're getting offended and feel the need to insult people because you can't handle them sharing their opinion.

Good for you, you know so much about art, and you've "illustrated" a myriad of books, and you even drew pictures for deviantart! Wonderful, do you want a cookie?

Honestly at this point you seem to be trying really, really hard to prove your point by scrounging for things that make your opinion more valid and qualified than anyone else here. Regardless of how good you are at art, or how much you claim to know about it, everyone has different views and perspectives. Some people are perfectly fine with how Miyazaki's films have always continually used the same art style, and you don't need to shove your opinion of the fact that you think it's becoming quite a bit too repetitive and overused by making a blanket statement like, "Nobody wants to watch a movie that imitates a style of many other previous works." Who told you that? It's like you're talking out of your ass. Obviously change is always a great thing, but I can imagine that for some people, the reused style is something they appreciate. Because the continuous use of a familiar art style from years prior, used in the right way of course, can potentially incite sentimentality, and nostalgia.

So going back on topic, just because this film "screams" Ghibli, as long as the plot, character development, and other aspects that make up a good movie stay consistent and don't falter, I think it'll actually be pretty decent. And I don't mind the art at all, in fact, it's rather exciting to be able to see another film utilizing visuals similar to the ones that I loved during my childhood so long ago.

I didn't see them as just disagreeing with me, it seems like they were more than disagreeing with me. They were criticizing my opinion, calling me dumb, saying I'm nagging because there's been some sort of miscommunication from me. In other words, they sounded like that they were triggered and couldn't be polite nor tactful to me because of it. I'm not attacking them for having different opinions, I was attacking them because I felt they just were looking for a fight and defending their opinions on the art. And I'm sorry for what I said about the writing, I don't know anything about this book that this anime was based on and when I looked at the book, it had a girl on a broomstick and a cat as a companion so it's faithful to it.

They could've just said "Oh, I don't agree with your opinion. I think the art style is amazing." And be done with it.

I never criticized Miyazaki's style. All of his movies look different, they don't have any details that are reminiscent of his previous films. And yes, there are some people who like the visuals to this but others say that they don't like the visuals because it took too many films from Miyazaki and clearly showed it in this movie. Like here are some people complaining about the visuals being reminiscent of too many other Ghibli films: https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/5wn9hj/mary_and_the_witchs_flower_trailer_1_studio_ponoc/

And there were also some people complaining on Youtube about the visuals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P883TzxWuQ

Cereal Killer: "Looking forward for this!!! but arent they ripping off Ghibli's signature design and animation? Not a fan of ghibl's movies but it looks the same"

Jul 9, 2017 1:29 AM
Jan 2017
pinkarray said:
Muuu said:

I didn't see them as just disagreeing with me, it seems like they were more than disagreeing with me. They were criticizing my opinion, calling me dumb, saying I'm nagging because there's been some sort of miscommunication from me. In other words, they sounded like that they were triggered and couldn't be polite nor tactful to me because of it. I'm not attacking them for having different opinions, I was attacking them because I felt they just were looking for a fight and defending their opinions on the art. And I'm sorry for what I said about the writing, I don't know anything about this book that this anime was based on and when I looked at the book, it had a girl on a broomstick and a cat as a companion so it's faithful to it.

They could've just said "Oh, I don't agree with your opinion. I think the art style is amazing." And be done with it.

I never criticized Miyazaki's style. All of his movies look different, they don't have any details that are reminiscent of his previous films. And yes, there are some people who like the visuals to this but others say that they don't like the visuals because it took too many films from Miyazaki and clearly showed it in this movie. Like here are some people complaining about the visuals being reminiscent of too many other Ghibli films: https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/5wn9hj/mary_and_the_witchs_flower_trailer_1_studio_ponoc/

And there were also some people complaining on Youtube about the visuals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P883TzxWuQ

Cereal Killer: "Looking forward for this!!! but arent they ripping off Ghibli's signature design and animation? Not a fan of ghibl's movies but it looks the same"
09 If you really were offended by how "rude" everybody was to you then why did you feel the need to bring up your "expertise" in art to make your opinion better? I saw what you were saying in this thread and AnimEva was very reasonable and probably stopped responding because they realized that you just try to change the subject to something else like how much you know about art, and that you won't actually try to understand their opinion. Your arguements were just grasping at straws, and to compensate you just tried to artificially bolster your opinion with empty words. Actually, I am very curious now, I would like to be linked to your deviantart account and to a place where I can see all 19 of your novel illustrations, and I would like to see credit towards you as the illustrator on all of them. Unless of course you were lying or exaggerating, in which case you probably won't respond or will try to talk your way around it.
Jul 9, 2017 8:10 AM

Jun 2011
Jason_Funderberk said:
pinkarray said:

09 If you really were offended by how "rude" everybody was to you then why did you feel the need to bring up your "expertise" in art to make your opinion better? I saw what you were saying in this thread and AnimEva was very reasonable and probably stopped responding because they realized that you just try to change the subject to something else like how much you know about art, and that you won't actually try to understand their opinion. Your arguements were just grasping at straws, and to compensate you just tried to artificially bolster your opinion with empty words. Actually, I am very curious now, I would like to be linked to your deviantart account and to a place where I can see all 19 of your novel illustrations, and I would like to see credit towards you as the illustrator on all of them. Unless of course you were lying or exaggerating, in which case you probably won't respond or will try to talk your way around it.

God, teenage boys can be high-and-mighty.-_- Learn to treat ladies properly, will you? I wasn't even doing anything wrong until I was tired of AnimEva acting like he knows what art is. I can prove that I did not lie and that I never lie by linking you to my deviantart account. I may not be a professional artist, but hey, I don't make my style become repetitive all the time. Anyway, here's some images that I drew myself: http://purpleandredstar.deviantart.com/art/The-Death-of-Little-Silver-485972521 and http://purple-and-red.deviantart.com/art/Silvericeskating-472859357

And here's a link to 17 children's books that I written and note how different Natila Series looks from The Unique Artist's Talent and Tanya in Dishill. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/PitRocks14 I made all these books using images on Google and on Microsoft publisher. But for the unique artist's talent, I actually drew some of these pictures at home.

Two wrongs don't make a right, I was acting condescending and indignant because AnimeEva was acting high-and-mighty. That's why I said "You need to get more experience in art before you chastise me.". I don't like being chastised. It makes me mad when people pick a fight with me because they can't agree with my opinion. And I can get angry when people do something wrong such as being impolite or hurting peoples' feels by being tactless or other things. I would've have been more nicer if you all accepted that I have different opinions and learn to agree to disagree. Not be triggered and say that I'm nagging, calling me dumb without proving if you know much about art or not, and other impolite things.

And note, I also have autism so I cannot communicate well or understand people well. So, please cut me some slack and talk more peacefully.

Jul 9, 2017 8:26 AM

May 2012
The mc is literally slightly older Ponyo
Jul 9, 2017 3:41 PM
Jan 2017
pinkarray said:
Jason_Funderberk said:

God, teenage boys can be high-and-mighty.-_- Learn to treat ladies properly, will you? I wasn't even doing anything wrong until I was tired of AnimEva acting like he knows what art is. I can prove that I did not lie and that I never lie by linking you to my deviantart account. I may not be a professional artist, but hey, I don't make my style become repetitive all the time. Anyway, here's some images that I drew myself: http://purpleandredstar.deviantart.com/art/The-Death-of-Little-Silver-485972521 and http://purple-and-red.deviantart.com/art/Silvericeskating-472859357

And here's a link to 17 children's books that I written and note how different Natila Series looks from The Unique Artist's Talent and Tanya in Dishill. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/PitRocks14 I made all these books using images on Google and on Microsoft publisher. But for the unique artist's talent, I actually drew some of these pictures at home.

Two wrongs don't make a right, I was acting condescending and indignant because AnimeEva was acting high-and-mighty. That's why I said "You need to get more experience in art before you chastise me.". I don't like being chastised. It makes me mad when people pick a fight with me because they can't agree with my opinion. And I can get angry when people do something wrong such as being impolite or hurting peoples' feels by being tactless or other things. I would've have been more nicer if you all accepted that I have different opinions and learn to agree to disagree. Not be triggered and say that I'm nagging, calling me dumb without proving if you know much about art or not, and other impolite things.

And note, I also have autism so I cannot communicate well or understand people well. So, please cut me some slack and talk more peacefully.
Okay, you have my respect, as it takes a lot of courage to admit you did something wrong to total strangers. Also, I checked your art, and while it isn't bad, I recommend trying to master hyper realistic drawings as your next step as in order to create a unique style it is important to have a firm grasp on anatomy and the like. You need to know the rules of art to be able to break them correctly, and my art personally has gotten FAR better once I learned about human anatomy (before I made completely depth-less dbz style characters that looked like they were rendered in flash animation, it's actually really embarrassing to look at now, my new style is sorta like Berserk [except nowhere as detailed]). Also, I am sorry that I was so condescending, that's something I need to work on.
PS: If you want to learn more about art I recommend Contructive Anatomy by George B. Bridgman, that's how I learned about it, it's a really great book for learning how to add movement to a drawing.
Jason_FunderberkJul 9, 2017 3:50 PM
Jul 11, 2017 10:52 AM

Jun 2011
Jason_Funderberk said:
pinkarray said:

Okay, you have my respect, as it takes a lot of courage to admit you did something wrong to total strangers. Also, I checked your art, and while it isn't bad, I recommend trying to master hyper realistic drawings as your next step as in order to create a unique style it is important to have a firm grasp on anatomy and the like. You need to know the rules of art to be able to break them correctly, and my art personally has gotten FAR better once I learned about human anatomy (before I made completely depth-less dbz style characters that looked like they were rendered in flash animation, it's actually really embarrassing to look at now, my new style is sorta like Berserk [except nowhere as detailed]). Also, I am sorry that I was so condescending, that's something I need to work on.
PS: If you want to learn more about art I recommend Contructive Anatomy by George B. Bridgman, that's how I learned about it, it's a really great book for learning how to add movement to a drawing.

Thank you for apologizing that made me feel better.:)

I think I also need to work on being a little bit nicer in arguments.

Jul 12, 2017 12:58 AM
Apr 2013
No reason to change what's already good. If some one's sick of seeing it, no need to watch it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mary to Majo no Hana Episode 1 Discussion

Kisaragi - Jul 8, 2017

46 by SlammyHammy »»
Sep 23, 2023 2:38 PM

» Why the low score, relatively speaking?

raspberris - Jan 18, 2018

28 by aku_mado »»
May 29, 2022 5:26 PM

» Framerate "problems"

TetsuoXIII - Apr 12, 2019

3 by Rei_III »»
Jun 5, 2019 11:04 PM

» Saw it - not very good

Angry_Anime_Nerd - Jan 19, 2018

1 by zamandzoe »»
Jan 20, 2018 12:05 PM

» DVD and Blu-Ray release date.

Katsu-kun - Jul 22, 2017

1 by kamigawa »»
Jan 4, 2018 2:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.