Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 3, 2017 3:23 PM

Oct 2016
Do you have a preference for anime if it's original or not? I've seen some original anime and they weren't very good so I'm starting to not watch anime if it's original.
Shinn_Asuka666Jul 3, 2017 3:26 PM
Jul 3, 2017 3:27 PM

Nov 2016
I think there are some pretty good to awesome original anime out there

Madoka Magica, Anohana, Plastic Memories, Gurren Lagann, Re: Creators,Tsuki ga Kirei, Angel Beats, 91 Days and Death Parade.

Haven't seen Kill la Kill yet, but I'm sure it's great too.
FMmatronJul 3, 2017 3:31 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 3, 2017 3:32 PM

Dec 2016
If you want a good original anime try Tsuki ga Kirei, one of the best original out actually one of the best romance anime if seen
Jul 3, 2017 3:35 PM

Apr 2016
Anime original always has the potential to be better than an adaptation because in the process of adapting another work, something will always be lost. Additionally, with an original work everything is made with the work being an anime in mind so it can better take advantage of what the medium has to offer.
Jul 3, 2017 3:36 PM
Feb 2016
I give original anime a strong 5 - light 6 out of 10
Jul 3, 2017 3:38 PM

Oct 2015
What sort of reasoning is that?

Also, if you want to follow such reasoning, with a majority of adaptations in your dropped list, why do you continue to watch adaptations, then?
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jul 3, 2017 3:39 PM

Jun 2015
Original anime are better than most adapted work.
They have a proper ending instead of the go read the ln/manga/vn
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jul 3, 2017 5:23 PM

Jan 2016
Just finished Shuumatsu no Izetta and it had some feel good moments along with yuri bait. Though in general it wasn't very good, the concept felt undeveloped and the writing was somewhat poor. However, this alone can't speak for all original anime and I don't think it's possible to answer your question, as adaptations vary a lot depending on the Studio, VAs and many other factors.
Jul 3, 2017 5:26 PM

Sep 2014
My experience has been completely opposite. Most of the anime talent sits in the original series and they are much better on average. Most of my favourites aren't adaptations.
Jul 3, 2017 5:28 PM

Oct 2014
well original anime usually have a conclusion, unlike most adaptations, they also create stories that can use fully the strenghts of the medium, most of my favorites are original anime so i have a little preference for those
Jul 3, 2017 5:33 PM
Jul 2018
I happen to actually like quite a few original anime, and granted how rare they are compared to adaptations, I am rather surprised how many of them in percentage I liked.

Just checked and 6 out of the 17 favorite anime that I have on my favorite list is original. And as far as I know K-on is almost nothing like the manga so it is a little bit of a grey area.
Jul 3, 2017 5:38 PM

May 2016
Doesn't really matter to me. I don't read manga or light novels, anyway, so it's all new to me.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jul 3, 2017 5:41 PM

Mar 2012
Think again after you watch this.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/25835/Shirobako
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 3, 2017 5:49 PM

Jun 2016
I've tried to stop watching anime adaptations for awhile now. My problem is that adaptations rarely cover the story of the original work in its entirety, so they either end up having no conclusion, or a disappointing, incomplete conclusion. They're essentially commercials, prompts to make you check out the original product so you can finish the story.

Of course there are exceptions. Obviously I'll watch an adaptation if it does end up covering all of the source material. I'm also okay with 4-koma manga adaptations, since most don't have an interesting story to begin with.
Jul 3, 2017 5:53 PM

May 2017
I also think that originality does not guarantee that anime would either be good or bad, it depends on other factors way more.
========================Sig=============================

I am a writer and recently published my first fantasy book, Clash of Mages

'Time of hiding have ended. Time of battle have come.'

You can buy it here https://www.amazon.com/Exploits-Party-SeraphIthil-Hershel-Saga-ebook/dp/B071LDFHYD/ref=mt_kindle?_encoding=UTF8&me=

It was influences by the anime, particularly Naruto, Fate/Zero and Claymore. It is about Two mages and one swordswoman traveling together and fighting mostly other mages. One of them, Hershel plans to become strong enough to eventually defeat Tormellian Empire.
Jul 3, 2017 6:02 PM

Aug 2015
As with anything in this world there's good and bad, some original series really take the trophy for being most hated (e.g. Boku no Pico).

Of course, good ones also exist such as Shirobako, Tsuka ga Kirei, Madoka Magica.

sakamoto-kun said:
I think there are some pretty good to awesome original anime out there

Madoka Magica, Anohana, Plastic Memories, Gurren Lagann, Re: Creators,Tsuki ga Kirei, Angel Beats, 91 Days and Death Parade.

Haven't seen Kill la Kill yet, but I'm sure it's great too.

Btw, have you read the latest chapter yet (221) Rindou and Megishima are dishing it out there hahaha
Jul 3, 2017 6:18 PM

Aug 2016
Mawaru penguindrum is also a masterpiece, and this is an original anime
Jul 3, 2017 6:25 PM

Nov 2016
LightningSoul said:
Btw, have you read the latest chapter yet (221) Rindou and Megishima are dishing it out there hahaha

Yeah, I read it :D was pretty good, looking forward to how the flashback will continue.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 3, 2017 6:33 PM

Jan 2014
My_Profile said:
If you want a good original anime try Tsuki ga Kirei, one of the best original out actually one of the best romance anime if seen

Idk if you've seen Nazo no Kanojo X but if you're looking for one of the most original romances i've seen that is also one of the best romances i've seen then i suggest you should check it out. It's probably one of the most realistic teenage relationships without trying to be too realistic which in reality would make it unrealistic.

Just watch it , i can't praise it enough xD.

Another really good one would be Kokoro Connect.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Jul 3, 2017 6:33 PM

Feb 2016
There's a lot of great original anime, you shouldn't do this. Also most of the time you'll have to look the source material if you like a adaptation, which can be a bother for some people.
Jul 3, 2017 6:55 PM

May 2017
I don't really care, but i do think it's good that the industry is still trying to create original animes. I do feel that a lot of the times they are pretty underrated and people sleep on them during their airtime which makes me feel very sorry for the people who have invested many many months or years into the production only for it to get shat on or unnoticed.

1 example : Re:Creators - fresh concept; good production values; even has Rei Hiroe & Hiroyuki Sawano (seems like a formula for success). Many people are giving this anime low scores due to its exposition and little to no action (also cause of sota.. who isn't really the mc but more of a trigger). This is also kind of reflected in the volume 1 bd sales of 2k disks. A good story takes time to develop and unravel, characters grow throughout the series, and the series is 22 episodes... lots of time to turn it around. I'm immensely enjoying it and would recommend it to people who don't watch anime just to see people fighting with super powers. It is a good rendition of a reverse isekai and i haven't really encountered something unique like this before. Of course it has its flaws too, but i really want to vouch for it since its an anime original and i see people sleeping on it which upsets me.
Jul 3, 2017 8:27 PM
Aug 2016
I could really care less whether or not a show is anime original or not almost 100% of the time. A good show is a good show regardless of how it came about. I don't look at adaptations with the expectation that they need to follow their source material very closely because I think adaptations should be just that, adaption . They do not need to be recreations. Conversely, just because a show is "anime original" does not excuse it from poor storytelling because it does not have source material to either validate or discredit its flaws. Most of the time, I don't even pay attention to whether or not a show has any source material or not and find out after I've already watched it. There's very few exceptions to this rule for me.
Jul 3, 2017 8:32 PM

Jul 2015
How I see it is that it's pretty risky to make an original anime because it can only go 2 ways, but if done correctly (like Tsuki ga Kirei) then hats off to you because that's definitely not an easy feat. But when it comes to looking for an anime, I don't really let something as whether it's original or not, sway my decision to watch it or not.

caught in the wonder
Jul 3, 2017 8:34 PM

Feb 2013
yes original anime are my highest rated on average
Jul 3, 2017 8:35 PM

Jan 2014
I tend to like originals - even if they're bad - simply because it's a breath of fresh air. If you at least try to be original, then hey, that's better than half the anime out there.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jul 3, 2017 8:47 PM

Apr 2017
>Say no More, I'm just finding it's quality content

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jul 3, 2017 9:00 PM

Jan 2014
I love originals. Normally if something hooks me in and it's based off a manga I'll just go straight to the manga since I don't want to wait, but with originals I have no choice in the matter. The upside is that it keeps things exciting, unless the show itself is just fail. Generally though I tend to enjoy them more over source material adaptions.
Jul 3, 2017 9:19 PM

Aug 2016
I hate to say it but unless it is a major shonen manga title or bestselling VN, you're not likely to get a full adaptation. The end result will basically be an extended commercial for the source material, leaving you hanging.

Trust me, I've learned this the hard way. I'm very reluctant, at this point, to pick up something that isn't original or to continue with a couple adaptations because I am tired of getting burned.
Jul 4, 2017 12:01 AM

Jan 2009
i usually watch original anime since you will be sure that most of them will have a conclusive ending rather than an open ending or unfinished story that plagues the anime adaptations of ongoing manga/light novels
Jul 4, 2017 1:13 AM

Nov 2009
Shinn_Asuka666 said:
Do you have a preference for anime if it's original or not?

I tend to like original anime. Basically, original anime can use the medium to the max, and everything else suffers from adaptation problems.
Sure, it's a dark horse that might turn out to be Glasslip, but when it works (like with Flip Flappers) it works great.

Shinn_Asuka666 said:
I've seen some original anime and they weren't very good so I'm starting to not watch anime if it's original.

I've seen some very good ones. NGE, Flip Flappers, TTGL, everything by Makoto Shinkai, a lot of Ghibli shows, Dennou Coil, Summer Wars, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0...
Well, just look at the list on AniDB!
Jul 4, 2017 1:33 AM

May 2015
I don't care if something is an adaptation. It is a complete work and I will judge it so. The source material is just a point of reference.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 4, 2017 1:39 AM

Feb 2010
Original anime tend to be good or mecha
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 4, 2017 2:06 AM

Feb 2016
Original anime tend to be better on average than adaptations, for obvious reasons. Still the majority of good stuff are adaptations because of how much they outnumber originals.

I generally dont have anything against either, unless its submedia like light novels, visual novels or games, then I adjust my expectations.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jul 4, 2017 4:11 AM

Mar 2017
That depends.

My opinion on anime original series vary on a series to series basis. My opinion on anime originals as concept is largely positive. There's way too many strings on adaptations. There will be things that works in an LN that would fail in animation. The infamous exposition dump for example works well in a novel, but animation? Pssh. Then there's the even more infamous "giff second season plz". Most adaptations I see right now, to my eternal bafflement, are for incomplete LNs and mangas which may or may not be finished on time.

An anime original moves at it's own pace and limited only by the imagination. It's way more open to possibilities without fear of backlash from the fans of a source material for any major deviations that are often necessary due to the different nature of the mediums.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jul 4, 2017 4:18 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I don't really differentiate since I don't look into source material very often past stuff I've already seen and liked, with only one LN on my manga list being one I haven't seen and thoroughly enjoyed the anime adaptation of (since Psycome has no anime adaptation and the LNs are being translated into English and I purchased volume 1 on Amazon because why the hell not.)

So no opinion in the sense that I don't approach it any differently, so I see no reason to care whether or not something's original or adapted. Doesn't hold any significance whether or not something's manga/LN/VN/whatever when I'm watching it and not familiar with the source itself, and so original stuff gets that same approach.

Jul 4, 2017 4:21 AM

Jul 2014
Apart from things made by Shinichiro Watanabe and maybe some movies, I don't think I've seen any original anime that was any better than mediocre.
Jul 4, 2017 4:23 AM

Feb 2015
Well original anime tends to be good + you don't have people who complain about the source being better and adaptation being bad.
But I don't care if anime is an original work or an adaptation.
Jul 4, 2017 4:32 AM

Mar 2010
Original has much more potential tbh since it has no constraints.
Try Sakasama no Patema, Mawaru Penguindrum or Kyousougiga.

Jul 4, 2017 4:32 AM

Dec 2015
Two possibilities: either the lack of a support makes the creators bold enough to go where none has gone before (or at least try to create good things on their own through their own vision) or the lack of a pre-existing success scares them and pushes them to produce a really safe work (not inherently bad but tasteless).
At least, those original projects are more likely to make things move. And a complete story is always better than an incomplete one or no story.

To make it simpler, "start to watch anime if it's original", especially when it doesn't look like 20 other shows made before.

Shinn_Asuka666 said:
I'm starting to not watch anime if it's original.

I barely refrain a laugh there.
Jul 4, 2017 7:34 AM

Jun 2015
makes no difference really.

I dont manga so all anime original to me.

unless the mangafags ruin it.
Jul 4, 2017 8:51 AM

Jun 2014
If I see an original title that doesnt look half bad, I tend to go for it. Some of my all-time favorite shows are originals with no source material.

Zankyou no Terror
Death Parade
Concrete Revolutio (anime was made before manga)
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Mawaru Penguindrum (anime before manga)
Gatchaman Crowds (loosely based on the older franchise, but original story)
Plastic Memories
Punch Line
many movies...

Plus there's the added bonus of people not being able to talk about a non-existent source material. e.g. "the manga is soo good, cant wait for the anime. hype" and "wow they ruined that scene/character, the manga was so much better, everyone here should read the manga" and "oh, I read the manga so I know what happens next. youll see" (no one cares). So its cool that everyone is going in blind and no one really has any expectations.
Jul 4, 2017 9:36 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know what you talking about man?!
Some of the funniest most awesome shows in the anime medium are anime originals!

Scryed
Kill la Kill
Symphogear
Cross Ange
Gurren Lagann
FLCL
Ghost stories
Macross 7
Gunbuster
MD GEIST!!!
etc, you get the drill.

Also Comet Lucifer is legit the funniest shit I've seen in years. How can you hate on the best type(?) of anime ... the one with the highest potential for awesomeness?! If anything hate on light novels or smt ... although that's not fair either ... many great LN/Novella based anime out there too.

ummm, if anything video games and visual novel adaptations are the worst of the bunch ... unless they get the love and care needed for a proper adaptation. Which is freaking rare!
Jul 4, 2017 9:57 AM

Jun 2016
I prefer original anime actually, I'll try and watch it while it's airing so people can't tell me how "superior" the source material is, or spoil it for me.

notable examples of ones watched while airing are pretty much just Re:Creators & Yuri on ice but i'm trying to pcik up more as I watch seasonal anime.

Zankyou no terror was also a good one.

Jul 4, 2017 10:17 AM
Feb 2017
It's strange.... How come no one's taking about Psycho-Pasa!?... Is it not original ?
Jul 4, 2017 5:00 PM

Mar 2017
My_Profile said:

You just said what i'm going to say, haha.

But yeah, i think original anime are better than adaptaions. Why? Since it is original, it is not bound by source materials and have much more freedom to express themselves. The only problem is to gather the interest from the public mass, which will not know this anime when it was announced. As a result, i think massive marketing and publication will be necessary.
It's time to play the Game folks!
Jul 4, 2017 6:29 PM

Aug 2010
I think original anime have a higher chance at being a master piece in the eyes of fans.

It has nothing to be compared to, which helps a lot.
It is also created specifically for TV. So things don't have to be changed from one medium to the other.

To me, a good anime is a good anime. Cinematic Direction plays a huuuuuge part in making an anime good.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jul 4, 2017 6:39 PM

Jul 2015
*Looks at his list*
hmmmmm
Haibane is the adaptation of the manga published barely a year earlier by ABe... Ghost in the Shell is very different from the original...

2 manga adaptations (3 if you count Haibane) and one novel adaptation in my favs, wich leaves us with a full original top 5.

original>adaptation. I'm not saying manga is less interesting, but a show made for that format automatically has the potential to be better than an adaptation (even a panel by panel one like that dragged-out Monster)
Jul 4, 2017 6:50 PM

Nov 2009
I do prefer original anime. They give the animation studios a lot more flexibility when it comes to creating the story and characters. Too bad a lot those studios and creators don't seem to know what they're doing, especially lately with shows (like Re:creators) seemingly having its story and script written on the fly instead of being well thought out.
Jul 4, 2017 7:10 PM

Jun 2017
It's so sad that you have Zankyou No Terror on your dropped list.
Jul 4, 2017 7:28 PM

Oct 2014
Like any other anime adaptation, some are bad and some are good. I probably prefer adaptations though, since I'm not a big manga/LN reader and won't get all anal about subtle detail and plot differences. Anime adapted from manga/LN just seem to have better pacing and better story quality in general.

More topics from this board

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

59 by Bruh69XD »»
1 minute ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 51 minutes ago

7 by deg »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

81 by BilboBaggins365 »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

83 by FanofAction »»
7 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates. ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

50 by Bruh69XD »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.