Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 9 Discussion

WorldEnd: What Do You Do at the End of the World? Are You Busy? Will You Save Us?
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 8, 2017 11:26 PM
Apr 2017
DirectorK said:
HaruhiroYume said:
From what i see so far, this series has no real plot and no final objective to be reached..Same with the ppl on the floating islands, they don't know what their future hold, as said by Great Sage, he don't even know how long these islands will continue floating, they can only continue living while worrying about the attacks from beasts which can happen at any time..

Sorry to tell u that the relationship between williem and kutori and these fairies is the only plot in the anime..In this vast and hopeless world, some ppl may found their own life to live but there are also some ppl who struggling to continue their life..and yea they are the fairies..The anime want to show in this hopeless world, some ppl like these main characters want to live their life to fullness and protect the ppl they love(williem) or cherish their life(Chtholly)

In my opinion, we as a viewer to follow these characters to discover the mistery and history of this world while progressing the story between these character slowly..While discovering the dark side of character, we showing the dark side of the world as well

First half of anime is talking from williem's perspective and second half of anime talking from Chtholly's prespective..Williem himself as well has no real objective to follow and don't know what's his future, same with ppl on the islands...until he found these fairies, and show how these fairies change him..

Tbh this anime adaptation cut a tons of character monologue as it used to convey what these character really thinking about so for some anime-only they can't care about the characters because of lack of interpretation of characters..but as LN reader, i think this anime was well adapted to brings out the melancholic feels of the world and those important scenes like williem's past and mental disintegration of Chtholly

omg sorry for long post, this is my answer and forgive me if it doesn't answer your questions :)

Well, there's the problem. That information only tells me that we're being told the wrong story and not being given the bigger picture of what's going on in this world. If this is strictly a contemporary story set in modern day Earth I wouldn't have minded so much, but since it isn't I'm only feeling disappointed because once again we have we have an anime with a great concept that's turned into wasted potential. At this point, I seriously doubt the ending going to change my opinion about this show.

Much as I hate to say this, because it's going to make me sound like a complete jerk, I say with honest sincerity that I could have come with a much better than the one we got.

I understand your points but well that's how the story goes...personally i don't mind maybe because i finished LN first and know that the series eventually will talk about what's going on with the world, and i did enjoy the character progression story for this one..i agree with your points tho and i thought you have really good taste on anime :)

well i might be really biased on this but i think this series is like a clear stream/hidden gem among tons of light novel series, it just feel really different for me..nowadays too much LN with same formulas and it really gets bored for me

Jun 9, 2017 4:19 AM
Apr 2017
@DirectorK just enjoy the show on what it is, granted it's not what you expected it to be But that's what the series is all about. Even the author himself said that they really want to emphasized "the story of chtholly" in this adaptation, I also think that's the reason why we probably getting the flashback on Vol.5. They want to show us where chtholly and her love for Willem basically came from.

Just read the LN after you finish the anime, That's where all the thing that you'd been wanting on this adaptation. Either way, it's a really good LN so I highly recommend it.
Jun 9, 2017 8:02 AM
Apr 2017
dodgemoto_23 said:
@DirectorK just enjoy the show on what it is, granted it's not what you expected it to be But that's what the series is all about. Even the author himself said that they really want to emphasized "the story of chtholly" in this adaptation, I also think that's the reason why we probably getting the flashback on Vol.5. They want to show us where chtholly and her love for Willem basically came from.

Just read the LN after you finish the anime, That's where all the thing that you'd been wanting on this adaptation. Either way, it's a really good LN so I highly recommend it.

I think what you're implying "where Kutori"s feeling for Willem come from" is a misunderstanding, it's true that's where their story begin, but Elq is literally an elementary kid at that moment, she haven't meet anyone other parent (and her toy), she haven't know about human's emotion, let alone human's love (not parent-children's love), so it'll be strange to say Kutori's feeling come from Elq.
The emotion she get when she met Leila is a child's emotion, it's the fantasy to become a hero and die for other people, all the kid from the warehouse and event Kutori in the early part of the ln show this personality.
In the later part of the story, she (Elq) show some feeling for Willem but it not from when she met Leila, it's come from when she dream about Kutori, the fish did mention him as "the Second Technician who that girl met in the sky", not the one Leila talk about.
verify_unripeJun 9, 2017 8:20 AM
Jun 9, 2017 8:26 AM

May 2016
You know what? I'm going to go ahead and create a "Anime That Deserved Better" thread on this anime.
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
Jun 9, 2017 10:51 AM
Aug 2016
Good use of Theseus's paradox
Jun 10, 2017 9:30 AM
Aug 2015
So this and I imagine the next episode will be the calm before the storm. It's incredibly depressing to see Ctholly's memories dissapearing already. I can't say that I am waiting for this anime finale, it's not looking like it will end with an happy or even a bittersweet ending. FeelsBadMan.
Jun 11, 2017 12:34 AM

Oct 2008
oh no! tragedy is getting near we could obviously feel it because of the ambience it brings!
so they went to where Nopht & Rhantolk were stationed huh...
4/5.

Jun 11, 2017 1:08 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
Okay, you know what - I am very amused about some use of terms that are defined in a different matter than MAL user do use them. So should we all say that MAL should make it´s own language ??
That would be an awesome thing, don`t you agree ??

First, please read the definiton of the word plot

A plot is a series of events that are connected with each other in a storyline. That means a romance anime series also has a plot, even if you do not like it.

Usually there is an introduction (characters, world they live in) which are only introducing the elements that are relevant to the plot progression and to the point of the major parts of the story.
Then there is the conflict part of the story (could be anything, for example a second lover, world war, someone is about to lose his life, jealousy, a sickness, someone got missing, they are to afraid to be honest with each other...)
Then the conflict will reach the maximum point - it will fall again and be resolved in a positive or negative way.

SukaSuka was always centred around the characters Chtholly and Willem from the start of the series. All events that did happen are directly or indirectly connected to them. The plot is centred around them.

Ofcourse you can hate the decision the author did make. You can dislike the point of view the author did choose for the plot progression.

In the novel "Bekenntnisse des Hochstaplers Felix Krull" (translated titel: Avowal of the impostor Felix Krull) by Thomas Mann for example the plot was based on the view of the character Felix Krull. The main problem was that he himself was an impostor all the time. That also did include his own inner monologue or thoughts in situation. So we as reader did never go beyond his view and got tricked again and again. He did manipulate as figure the characters around him and us as readers based on his thoughts that are from him as an impostor.

What I want to say with this example is that we are not getting always and everytime the view of an third omnipresent person in all work of entertainment. Sometimes will we never learn more then the characters or a special characters knows himself/herself. It is the way an author did base the main view on. Some parts of an story are important for the plot and some are not - this choice is made by the author himself/herself.

CyanwasserstoffJun 11, 2017 1:12 AM
Jun 11, 2017 8:59 AM

Apr 2009
I'm starting to believe that I'm gonna drown in feels in the next few episodes at this rate. It definitely felt like the "water" level rose again this episode.

Seeing Chtholly keep her brave face, switch to "living for the moment" mode and finally act like someone who's come to the "Acceptance" stage to make peace with what's happening to her is really rather depressing. Not to mention how far her memory loss has progressed. Then there's Ithea's reveal about... not actually being Ithea anymore. This is one of the times when I really hope I'm wrong about what I think is about to come.

Still, I'm rooting for Chtholly. Willem too - he's a man on a mission, in more ways than one.
Jun 11, 2017 12:22 PM

Jul 2014
@SayakaMagica
Chances for a happy ending are currently low. Just look at this:
Jun 11, 2017 2:46 PM

Apr 2015
mozgow said:
@SayakaMagica

Happy Ending is almost impossible. But we can see the Kutori and MC deaths's as a happy ending for them.
Jun 11, 2017 10:37 PM

Jul 2015
What is this feeling this is sooo sad :((
Jun 12, 2017 12:02 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
In the beginning of the first episode, we already should know where this anime will go:

Willem and Nephren falling down from a very high distance:

and Kotori (Chtholly) with dead eyes and a empty look (nothing left of her mind) is following them, maybe she will use her last powers to at least save them.
Jun 12, 2017 12:08 AM

Jul 2014
lcborella said:
mozgow said:
@SayakaMagica

Happy Ending is almost impossible. But we can see the Kutori and MC deaths's as a happy ending for them.

I had, and still have, strong Shinsekai Yori vibes while watching it, so I was expecting similar type of ending. But it seems to not be possible anymore.
Jun 12, 2017 12:25 AM
Jun 2016
So much beautiful death flags, time to purchase a box of tissues!
Jun 12, 2017 12:26 AM
Apr 2017
@mozgow If you read up to Volume 4 of the LN (this adaptation is Vol3 only, which means CLIFFHANGER), yea you'll realize how darker this is than Shinsekai Yori.
Jun 12, 2017 1:18 AM

Jul 2014
dodgemoto_23 said:
@mozgow If you read up to Volume 4 of the LN (this adaptation is Vol3 only, which means CLIFFHANGER), yea you'll realize how darker this is than Shinsekai Yori.

Oh, so it wasn't only my imagination and it's really a dark story? Nice :-)
Now, when I will have the time to read it...
Jun 12, 2017 7:37 AM

Apr 2015
mozgow said:
lcborella said:

I had, and still have, strong Shinsekai Yori vibes while watching it, so I was expecting similar type of ending. But it seems to not be possible anymore.

I am having Plastic Memories vibes.
Jun 15, 2017 6:14 PM

Jan 2013
Losing memories will always be sad. Good episode though, calm before the storm.
Jun 17, 2017 6:14 AM

Nov 2011
It's really sad the narrative this time. I liked the fact that the narrative has not given space only Chtholly, but also to Ithea. So many moments full of reflections. Ah! I was tears when I saw Chtholly melancholy. Nygglatho is really fun, sorry that you see little, during the narration.
Jun 17, 2017 10:20 AM

Apr 2015
Wow Chtholly looked soo good in her dress <333. Its really hurts me that she is forgetting everything.
Jun 18, 2017 11:52 PM
Sep 2016
Chtholly living the very moment happily,smiling and doing housework instead of crying or falling into depression. I need some of her strength...
Jun 19, 2017 4:35 AM

Jun 2014
Another episode of boring trashy light novel dialogue.
:3
Jun 21, 2017 1:37 PM

Dec 2014
well so much happening and that confession though...so unexpected
Jun 25, 2017 7:38 PM
Jul 2018
First 20 minute was mildly interesting because of art not the story. But something sad theme settled up with a saddest soundtrack and yeah it overall little better than last many episodes.

would rate it 4/5 this episode.
Jun 26, 2017 6:47 AM

Jun 2013
Beautiful episode, but man, this show is really hurting my heart!
Jun 27, 2017 9:44 AM
Mar 2012
Always expected Ithea had more depth over her prodding trollish lines, as she seems much older than the rest mentally. Cool reveal she's the 2nd reincarnation in the same body, quite a weird experience, especially with learning from a diary & masquerading as the same character.
Not sure if the exact same shift would happen to Ctholly, might depend on Elq.
That pillow throw was hilariously on point, right after "all the worries". Nice how this episode Ctholly avoids angst & prefers that positive acceptance and being productive.
Oh just put a sword under a sick kid's pillow
nice dresses & last insert
Maybe Ren's really an older Renge.
Jun 27, 2017 8:50 PM

Jan 2013
Ithea confessed that she's already been through that and she forgot everything :( That must be so hard...
And Chtolly is forgetting her memories too :( I really hope they can save her.
Chtolly looked so cute in that dress!
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jun 28, 2017 11:19 AM

May 2012
Decent progression, but it still feels rather slow. Up to the next episode though!
Jul 4, 2017 1:17 AM
Mar 2014
Kinda liked this episode. It was good.
Jul 6, 2017 11:55 AM

Jul 2009
What a surprise! So Ithea turned into a new person, but she held on the memories of the past and kept pretending everything was ok=/
Aug 2, 2017 4:26 AM

Aug 2016
Was that... poop that Willem got for "x-mass"?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 13, 2017 10:21 PM

Dec 2016
She really just said "I know" in response to a compliment! Mannnn, fuck you Chtholly! But on a real note im feeling that someone is about to die
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Sep 3, 2017 8:23 AM

Apr 2015
Great week, didn't really go as strangely wrong as the other ones yet
Feb 19, 2018 9:25 AM
Nov 2012
This turned from a Slice of Life / heartwarming / guy improving a bunch of girls' lives anime to
a warm memory loss story with everyone trying to make the best of the present moment. It's beautiful and heartbreaking but warm, somehow. This change bumped the anime up from 7 to 8 for me. I wonder how the last quarter of the anime will conclude
Oct 5, 2018 7:36 PM

Mar 2017
Goosebumps at the end :p
Apr 22, 2020 9:55 AM

May 2015
Now! for the finale.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 4, 2020 6:05 AM

Feb 2014
Omg when the cue decorations and snowmen were stabbed and covered in blood LMAOOOO xD

Ithea's backstory was pretty interesting! I saw how Ctholly left her brooch as kind of her own version of reminding whoever takes over her body of who she is
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2021 3:28 AM

Jun 2020
One of the better episodes for me. I think I really only actually liked the .....first episode & this?? Anyway Ilthea’s revelation was so dark. And poor Chtholly!!!!!

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Mar 29, 2022 7:12 AM

Apr 2020
This has to be the last episode where we can pretend Ctyholly is the same Ctyholly that we saw in Episode 1, because after this is all uncharted territories for her. But before that happens, atleast she got to hear Vellum say that she is beautiful, atleast we could cherish that.
Oct 5, 2022 12:32 PM

Jan 2020
Oh? Is that potential yuri I see? They should drop WillemxChtholly and pursue ItheaxChtholly. I could get on board with that.

Man, they are seriously dragging out leaving for the surface. I legitimately thought we'd be down there the episode right after they talked about it. It's hard to stay focused on them talking about Chtholly's memory every other scene. I got it, she forgot stuff. It was mentioned. I got the concept.

Looks like we're finally going down next episode though.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Apr 5, 2023 6:23 AM
Apr 2020
Man! It’s like a marge of Matou Sakura who lost her humanity with Isla who was going to die. The way she deteriorated, forget using the Venenum, she was going to disappear regardless.
Apr 5, 2023 6:42 AM
Apr 2020
Elegade said:
So basically this is like another Plastic Memories... Where their bodies don't physically die, but mentally, they are like a new person. This is gonna suck when we reach the finale, why can't it be a happy ending!!!!

In theory though, since Chtolly has lived as her person now, that means there's a random chance that in the future if they still keep summoning Fairy Spirits that Chtholly can be summoned again when the mental disintegration starts.

This was going to that territory. I can see some bad tragedies coming the last 5-6 minutes was the most heartbreaking I have ever watch so far. And yes, death of personality, unlike Isla, she seems to be recycled, Chtholly here is not going to be recovered by Willem, physically.
May 3, 2023 9:15 AM

Aug 2019
chtholly is losing her memories. maybe she'll forget she loves willem so we too can forget their dumb love
Nov 5, 2023 2:04 AM

Oct 2022
I feel more than a little uneasy right now. I get the feeling Chtholly really did just leave the compound for the very last time.
But if so, at least she got one last moment of happiness with all the other fairies before she left them.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2017

458 by -ODA- »»
Apr 9, 8:01 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2017

133 by toralbabs »»
Nov 6, 2023 7:11 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2017

148 by toralbabs »»
Nov 6, 2023 6:34 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 30, 2017

130 by toralbabs »»
Nov 3, 2023 8:38 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 23, 2017

85 by toralbabs »»
Oct 31, 2023 8:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.