Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 »
Dec 20, 2016 7:04 PM

Jul 2011
PotassiumBob said:
BonzoPlant said:

Oh my god you are like the first person to pick up on that, I had to go through hundreds of comments of stupid people thinking she was actually guitly. She saw how miserable the thought of killing his own child made him feel, and she thought she'd make him feel better by pretending to have cheated on him. Also it is revealed later in the anime that this specific arbitor has trouble picking up on human emotions, which makes it even more obvious.

There was no pretending though. There is plenty of evidence that she cheated. And there is also evidence that she has been cheating for some time. There is also vague evidence that this not her first time dating someone for money and she is well known in her circle for doing so.

The question is not so much if she was cheating or not, that's a fact, she cheated. The question is what she is "guilty" of in the confines of this decision of the game. The guy was paranoid, that's for sure, but he was right. She was cheating and has been. We do know that she did fall in love with her husband, that she was pregnant, and that she felt guilty when she cheated after they where married. I bet from that point on she would never cheat on him again and they would live happily. But once again, that doesn't change the fact that she cheated.

She was smarter than him, and manipulated him. And at the end she did so for his sake and not her own. This is what the arbitor did not pick up on. We saw the flash backs of how happy she was right before the wedding, we then saw how unhappy and disgusted she was when she cheated after the wedding. Her "soul" changed at that point, laying in that bed. So she went in all the way for the sake of her husbands in a way to save herself by sacrificing herself.

What the arbitor didn't pick up on was that and the assistant did pick up on, was the wife changed after the wedding, she did love him and was happy, she learned her lesson and was willing to accepted her punishment while trying to protect her husband.

One can argue that since she changed, and learned, that she deserves to be reincarnated. While he learned nothing and changed nothing. To me this is like saying, well the murder felt bad and regrets what he has done so he should be freed, well that doesn't change the fact that the victim is still the victim.

I still think she was "guilty", the out come was correct and they both got what they deserved.

Late reply but in the credits there is a scene where there is a table and a reservation name tag on a plate and it has already been translated as Machiko, the one she mentioned from highschool. So it's still just a theory that she cheated on him.
Dec 20, 2016 7:28 PM
Jan 2012
Primeval said:

Late reply but in the credits there is a scene where there is a table and a reservation name tag on a plate and it has already been translated as Machiko, the one she mentioned from highschool. So it's still just a theory that she cheated on him.

MAL needs a better way of letting people know threads have been updated with new posts.

That does put a hamper on my view and back in Sept I would have enjoyed some more speculation and discussion. But now that I finished the show
Dec 21, 2016 2:10 AM
Jul 2016
@PotassiumBob

She didn't cheat, watch it again. It's subtle but it's clear at the same time, at least to the more fine detail observant amongst us...
Jan 4, 2017 8:22 PM

Aug 2016
7 dart finish was impossible from start; the minimum number of darts required to finish is 9 darts. The game was meant to test the contestants.
Feb 25, 2017 9:35 AM
Nov 2015
I'm confused, did winning or losing the game have anything to do with where they were sent?
Mar 28, 2017 5:44 AM

May 2016
My First expression on this anime was like holy shit I didn't expect it to be episodic, so let's not worry about that and give a moment for that great animation, I haven't seen a marvelous animation like that in quite a while to be honest.

The story was really promising and different from any other anime yeah what ever, Apparently that cheap ass bitch went right to hell and it seems like the game don't decide who wil go to hell or heaven I could be wrong so we will basically know more about it in the future I guess, so far so good I hope this keeps the glass up xD
May 14, 2017 9:28 PM

Jul 2008
I'm in the camp that thinks she didn't cheat. She sees that the man she had a child with is not the man that is in front of her, the man in front of her is pathetic and unrecognizable. The man she loved and had a child with never really existed.

I think she was not sent to hell, she's gone to eternal rest. In this anime universe there's no heaven and hell, only reincarnation and the void (eternal rest). People who haven't lived properly get reincarnated, like the husband. For others, it's eternal rest.

In other words, being sent to the void is GOOD. She has been freed from suffering, the repeating cycle of life. She has gone back to emptiness, the state we are all in before we are born.

The husband has been reincarnated, which I suppose can be good or bad. He might eventually be sent to the void.

EDIT: Well the next episode clears things up. Apparently I'm wrong on many points. The void is treated like it's a place where souls get lost in darkness, which doesn't sound like the soul having eternal rest.
Ero-CamelMay 15, 2017 8:52 AM
May 18, 2017 7:16 PM

Mar 2012
Of course she cheated, they showed her in a flashback with another man.

Good episode, looking forward to the rest.
Jun 11, 2017 8:42 PM
Jan 2012
Avenger-senpai said:

It is pretty clear she didn't cheat. What other man? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Takashi is a mess. His jealously got both of them killed, heck maybe the three of them if Machiko was truly pregnant.

That was heartbreaking though, which is weird because I didn't expect to feel anything towards the characters of a twenty minutes episode. Putting Takashi's stupid behavior aside, it was clear he wasn't lying when he said he wanted to have a family and he loved Machiko, but sadly his character flaw got in the way of things.

Promising. This reminds me a bit of Jikogu Shoujo.
Jun 11, 2017 8:47 PM
Jan 2012
Blondie said:
If she won the game, why did she go to the void? Is the game really just to bring their true colors out or what?
Yeah, I found that super strange. Hopefully there is an explanation. Sure, life can be shitty and... well, it is shitty for so many people... but how can someone having your soul sent to "the void" be considered a reward for winning a game?
Jun 11, 2017 9:05 PM

Mar 2012
ReilaNimu said:
Avenger-senpai said:

It is pretty clear she didn't cheat. What other man? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Maybe replay the scene? Right after she says there's someone else she loves they show a flashback of her being in bed with a man that doesn't look like him while she's holding her face to the sheets/pillow.
Jun 14, 2017 7:49 AM
May 2017
This was a good episode. Okay just to clarify, the woman really was having an affair right?
Jul 14, 2017 3:43 PM
Jul 2017
Just started watching this. So many people didn't catch a lot of things. The second episode clearly explains the truth. Yes the wife cheated, but it was once. She was clearly crying after it happened. She regretted it.
Now, the black haired lady noticed what we and the arbiter didn't. The Wife's outburst at the end was definitely an act. She cries before it and takes a breath before changing her demeanor. Then proceeds to claim what his jealousy thinks is truth. She did indeed cheat once, but the baby was definitely the husbands, she was not in love with anyone else. When she says this she meant the way he was before he over heard her friends and him becoming a jealous wreck. Everything she said was to save the Husband. The arbiter didn't pick up on this and therefore she was sent to The void. Clearly it should have been the husband. He acted horrible and mean the whole way through, even towards the end. She was not the gold-digging harlot she accused herself of being with her outburst. The friend that the other friends were talking about was indeed a real person and not the wife. Cheating once is not a valid reason for someone to go to "hell" The husband had a lot more issues that would have made him go there instead. That is what I gathered from both episodes. The Wife loved him enough to go to hell, so he could go to heaven.
Jul 19, 2017 4:59 PM

Oct 2013
Been wanting to watch this for a while and finally got to it. Great first episode.

Aug 31, 2017 2:20 AM
Mar 2016
i fucking knew she didn't cheat and it was obviously an act, i cant believe some people didnt pick up on that.
EDIT: nvm i was wrong im dumb
this show seems really promising. first episode was done perfectly and kept me hooked. excited to see where this goes
groovykiritoAug 31, 2017 10:04 PM
Nov 20, 2017 12:28 PM

Dec 2016
Some pretty fucked up shit, especially with Machiko being a cunt at the end, but hey, at least she's going to hell.
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 3, 2018 3:25 PM

Jan 2017
That was cheesy. In the second episode it would get even cheesier, triple twist and reincarnation.
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Jan 19, 2018 4:23 PM
Jun 2013
well that was stressful. Also im really confused why was the guy reincarnated? Was she lying about the affair just to save him or was so serious? It wasint really clear.
Mar 7, 2018 10:02 AM
Aug 2017
Nugester said:
I got it.

-Originally, the husband --> going to the void, wife-->reincarnated ...why? Because husband is responsible for their deaths and their baby's
-Everything is pre-determined
-They go to purgatory to air out dirty laundry and the only place you can change fate
-Wife definitely cheated on husband at some point and felt remorse (in earlier pages, look for it)
-Husband really did misunderstand wife's friends gossip (if someone could translate the name tag at the wedding reception in the credits, would strongly corroborate this)
-Wife shows genuine happiness in regards to her life with husband; she is happy when she finds out she is pregnant. She probably really loves him, but made a mistake
-Husband is all over the place, distrusts everyone and is in pain/agony
-Wife lies to husband to give him "peace" whatever that may mean
-**Arbiter's face changes, he knows what's going on**
-Wife chooses husband over herself; since she won the game she can choose what happens; she now goes to the "void" and husband is reincarnated

This supports "Death Billiards"
-Old man originally going to the "Void", Young guy- reincarnated
-Everything is pre-determined
-Until you go to purgatory where you air out your dirty laundry and the only place you can change fate
-Young guy didn't want to go to the "Void"
- Old man looks like he has accepted whatever is given to him.
-Young guy clinging, fighting, scratching to live since he hasn't lived life; young guy won the game, so he gets to choose what happens
-Young guy-->reincarnated, old guy->"Void"
-Old guy probably smirked because he is bad-ass and is ready for anything ...that is probably what he told the Arbiter
This. This is by far the best analysis so far, no doubt in my mind it's the correct understanding. What's the point of winning the game if you don't get to choose who gets reincarnated and who gets sent to the void, therefore she did in fact make the conscience CHOICE to reincarnate her husband. And yeah, some seem to have missed the little hint at the end demonstrating the truth to her story about Yuuki (wish it was translated so I didn't have to look it up to be fair).
Mar 22, 2018 2:18 PM

Jan 2014
Liked this episode, but didn't feel like the game of darts had any real meaning. How suddenly the guy wants to win, without wven knowing whether there was anything at stake, seemed forced to me.
Initial reactions to finding yourself inside a psychopaths bar quite unrealistic also.
Apr 7, 2018 12:54 PM

Nov 2017
Strong first episode. OP was great and interaction between the couple was emotional and strong
Aug 9, 2018 12:34 PM

Mar 2018
This anime is so dope, i love this.
Oct 6, 2018 3:04 PM

Jan 2015
wtf were those final minutes, everything was fucked up
Oct 26, 2018 2:43 PM

Jan 2010
"I'm pregnant with your baby! Please, do what you must, but don't hit my stomach!"

"Okay." *hits stomach*

Who...who wrote this? Is this show supposed to be a morbid comedy? I get these are death "games," and are supposed to be playful, but the original short film was Death Note's level of over-dramatizing mundane activities, which I felt to be really fun. This just feels stiff and awkward. Also, towards the end, it felt like the show was struggling desperately to try and make the visiting characters to be as pathetic as possible, if just to absolve the viewers of any potential guilt in witnessing a newly married couple harm each other. I guess it's not technically sadism if the given characters somehow deserved their pain...? Also, was it not possible to throw the darts at the ground? How about to try and draw?

I feel this show would be better with actual terrible people playing the games, which would make Death Parade more of a karmic purgatory, rather than punishing random jerks.
Apr 9, 2019 2:34 PM
Jul 2018
So the guy is willing to murder the unborn child if he thinks it isn't his? And he gets reincarnation?

Shouldn't this be dealt with in marriage counselling anyway? Like shouldn't this Quindecim place get actual bad people to play the games. Like killers and rapists? Feel it would match up a lot more.
May 19, 2019 10:17 AM

Jun 2009
Bitchin' OP. I remember the first time I heard it was when RAB made a video with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RRU1hoHQdg
Jun 1, 2019 8:14 AM
Dec 2018
Good Episode
Quite Interesting
I'll watch this
Dec 8, 2019 6:12 PM

Jun 2017
That was one wild first episode. Though I'm not sure about the decision on who went to the void and who went to be reincarnated, I think maybe they both should've been given another chance? idk.
Mar 15, 2020 8:13 AM

Aug 2018
Why I didn't start to see it before, man, it's so dark. Also, Decim badass as hell!
Apr 6, 2020 2:55 AM

Jun 2017
Watching this made me feel pretentiously disgusting jfc
May 31, 2020 12:26 AM

Feb 2010
That was really good but really sad. I wasn’t sure what this was going to be. I just heard it had some horror and many people recommended this. Didn’t expect it to be so emotional. Now I’m super sad 😭😂
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Jun 9, 2020 5:40 PM

May 2015
Its an interesting first episode. This was the episode that really stuck in my head the first time I watched Death Parade.

I think she lied at the end there about being with another man. If she was thats a shame cause there could have been the possiblility they both go to heaven. I like the plotwist towards the end though with the door reveal. Even the MC was surprised when that woman started walking away.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Jun 15, 2020 5:48 PM

Dec 2018
I thought the husband is a doctor.

Well, that was 1 heck of a acting skill if she's lying about not cheating. However, that last word she said was more like a lie, although I didn't get the point of lying since Decim didn't say that both people can't go to the same destination. Or maybe she's just disgusted by the way her husband act at the end.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Jun 18, 2020 6:32 AM

May 2013
This show feels too weird.

The sudden tonal shift in character behaviours was rather jarring and their motives are too open to interpretation. Maybe that's the whole point.

Let's see how this actually turns out to be. Really awesome ED though.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jul 6, 2020 4:20 AM
Jul 2019
wait what? The girl was never cheating, she chose to go to hell instead of him therefore all the flashbacks she had before acting the bad guy. She knew that he was going to hell and that’s why she took his place? that’s how i saw this episode
Jul 19, 2020 5:20 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
I liked this episode, but tbh, I preferred Death Billards one better.

It just felt really uncomfortable all that drama at the end, besides, you could argue both ways about if she loved him or not, if it was an act by the end or not.

KreatorX said:
The sudden tonal shift in character behaviors was rather jarring and their motives are too open to interpretation. Maybe that's the whole point.

YES!

That was what I wanted to say but wasn't able to find the right wording.
This episode would probably be better with a rewatch, but I m not about that life.
Jul 30, 2020 8:31 PM

Jul 2020
They both should have been went to void. The doctor wants to kill a child and that’s inhumane.
Oct 4, 2020 6:42 AM
Aug 2020
Really good start!
Oct 12, 2020 7:26 PM

Jan 2020
Wow that was a surprise, I mean everything. The plot is awesome and something really distinct, not to mention the artwork and animation, fantastic! Guess I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this.
Nov 23, 2020 10:10 PM

Jul 2020
Amazing OP and first episode. Can't wait for more
Nov 30, 2020 3:40 AM

Apr 2020
This is really cool, so Quindecim is an intermediary place for death.
Jan 6, 2021 11:40 PM

Nov 2012
Damn that was good
Jan 18, 2021 12:13 AM

Dec 2018
That frigging bitch ;3
Lying her ass off even after that...tho I'm glad to know that the old man from Death Billiards went to hell ;3
Jan 20, 2021 4:12 AM
Apr 2019
Imo, there's 2 possibilities what actually happened in this ep. First is, the husband was wrong from the start. He accused her wife cheated on him without asked her if it was true or not. He did the darts thing intentionally and attempting to hurt her. The wife on the other hand was truthful that she never cheated on him. She decided to lied to him that she cheated in him because she couldn't bear watching him suffer and break down because of the misunderstanding. With this act of lie, she hope Decim would eventually send her to 'void' and give 'reincarnation' to her husband.

Second is, the husband was actually right all along about her cheated on him. The reason is because her reason about friend in middle school with the same name, married to doctor also, was bit sus. She acted innocent all along, but in the end when she knew they're already dead she just tell the truth. She knew she couldn't lie to Decim so she revert to her true self. That's why Decim send her to 'void'.

But imo, we never knew what considered hell or heaven in this story. The 'void' could be heaven because you released from the cycle of live, while 'reincarnation' could be hell because it made you live again to experience pain.
The story wants us to decide what is good or bad, what is truth or lie, and whether lie is always bad or truth is always good.
Jan 22, 2021 3:21 PM

Jan 2020
ah finally found a dark anime :D
fits perfectly since im watching a comedy anime while watching this ~

the OP isn't what i call a 10/10 win, but it was decent. i'll probably like it more and more after listening to it a few more times.
the ED wasn't my cup of tea.

i guess the only part which i liked was the throwing darts part. the rest was meh. the whole going insane thing didn't really hit me. i mean it was expected because these were just random characters i don't really care about.

the next episode looks interesting though~
3099Jan 22, 2021 3:32 PM
Mar 14, 2021 10:46 PM
Jul 2020
Oooh. Love the op. The concept of this seems super interesting. I really like Decim for some reason so far.
Mar 19, 2021 12:50 PM

Oct 2020
The man was totally a fool. What a disgrace!! Once he tries to save her and another moment he become heck of a selfish being. The woman was better than him. And I wonder if her last sentences were true!

The bartender is cool
Apr 12, 2021 4:08 AM
Jan 2021
I Know many of You won't agree on this but Death Parade story wise & By plot is little better than Death note . We all know That death Note get dulled after 25th episode
Apr 18, 2021 12:29 PM
Dec 2020
It was psychological.
Apr 20, 2021 11:57 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
So she WAS cheating him the entire time? Just as simple as that? Ok then... not the most amazing reveal but it was alright. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't captivated the whole time, but this single first episode didn't live up to death billiards imo.

And wow, decim actually told us where they went afterwards? I thought every other line from him was going to be "I can't tell you" or something. Just some questions I'd like to eventually get the answers to are what is the point of the games, and why do they have memory loss when they enter this purgatory. And I'm guessing it doesn't matter whether they win or lose, which is why decim doesn't tell them what the outcome is should the win or lose. He basically just has to watch how they play the game; how they play it is what's important. Perhaps it's a way to genuinely judge their character before sending to whatever place they are to go? Didn't even know there was a reincarnation option lol, thought it was just heaven and hell.

EDIT: just properly read the synopsis, whoops, guess there actually is no heaven or hell in this, just reincarnation and "the void", whatever that may be

I'm just wondering if this anime is going to actually be smart or just LOOK smart. Anyhow, if it can continue what has been doing, I'm probably going to be completely captivated through and through. And yeah I kinda dig that opening
BetaMaleUltraApr 20, 2021 12:09 PM

NYANPASU
5700XT

Pages (17) « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2015

663 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2015

672 by NikoFool »»
Apr 2, 10:50 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2015

521 by Seraschi »»
Apr 1, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2015

596 by oDaw1 »»
Mar 25, 12:06 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2015

674 by Listone »»
Mar 24, 6:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.