Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 9 Discussion

WorldEnd: What Do You Do at the End of the World? Are You Busy? Will You Save Us?
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 7, 2017 1:28 AM

Nov 2009
LukesYGOonYT said:
The snowmen were massacred, and about that Christmas tree...

Troll winter holiday must be pretty scary, with decorations like that.

ichii_1 said:
@Zefyris @Fai yeah but just like the original Ithea she sticks her nose into others business and hides her true feelings (her taking the original Ithea's role), that's what chtolly meant at the end.

It's kind of like "ship of Theseus" philosophical question. Major parts of Ithea got replaced, but nothing seems to have changed. Is she really the same Ithea?
Either way, the new Ithea is still a good friend who is always looking out for the others, so it does not really matter, they should still remain friends. (and Chtolly probably doesn't remember the original Ithea anyway)

DirectorK said:
After watching this episode I think my biggest problem with this series is that the story is weak and it's not focusing enough on the battlefront and instead focusing far too much on the homefront with Chtholly's problems.

Ten episodes in and we don't know a damn thing about what's going on in the outside world and we're given no reason to care.

Well, it's because it isn't a story about awesome battles. It's a tragic story.

DirectorK said:
Who or what are these monsters the girls are fighting against and why exactly are they a threat to the world? Because no one, especially civilians, seems to be really concerned about them.

The giant skull and the zombie mage are keeping the beasts' true nature a secret, because MC is sure to get angry if he finds out. Which means there must be some terrible secret.
And civilians don't have to be concerned with the beasts any more than real world civilians have to be concerned with tsunamis or earthquakes.

DirectorK said:
What exactly are these girls fighting for? Because all I've seen so far they seem to be fighting for nothing other than because they're suppose to.

Yes, the girls don't have any major reasons to fight. They just have a psychological abnormality that makes them not value their own lives in the least.

DirectorK said:
And how do the other soldiers feels about the fairy soldiers? Do they see as nothing more than weapons or as comrade in arms?

Well, you've seen it - different people have different feelings. Common soldiers witnessing fairy soldiers' slaying the beasts seem to be afraid of them. That snobby technical officer treats them as weapons.
The veteran surface explorer (MC's friend), on the other hand, treats them as comrades. And lizard commander seems to be the same.

AnimeFanboy1234 said:
HELP ME!:

What actual, reason, is there to enjoy this anime? Everyone else is loving it, but I'm bored by it). Please, someone tell me why I should enjoy it, it's frustrating. Maybe it's because I'm watching weekly, so I forgot all the other cool shit that happens?

"You'll understand when you're older." might seem like a bad answer, but it's true.
No, there is no cool shit happening. Well, apart from the fact the world is 300% cooler than worlds like Kuusen Madoushi.
There are only people, tired and worn-out from their previous lives, trying to look out for the next generation. It's like those CGDCT shows, except tragic.
Jun 7, 2017 2:40 AM

Jul 2007
DirectorK said:

Who or what are these monsters the girls are fighting against and why exactly are they a threat to the world? Because no one, especially civilians, seems to be really concerned about them.

The nature of the beasts is an ongoing mystery? Right now we know it is something humans created

And yeah the civilians don't care - Willem literally states that as a counter-argument to Suwong wanting to retake the surface - people don't care about surface anymore. The sky islands are their home. The only thing about surface they acknowledge is the danger it presents.

What exactly are these girls fighting for? Because all I've seen so far they seem to be fighting for nothing other than because they're suppose to.

That's...kind of the very point of the story? The girls are viewed as expendable weapons that are expected to kamikaze against Beasts. Leprechauns lack the fear of death from young age and has no self preservation instinct. They are nothing more than nukes that talk. Majority of civilian population does not even know they exist.

Which is why Willem is so horrified and takes a different approach because he knows how horrifying war can be and how priceless life is.

And how do the other soldiers feels about the fairy soldiers? Do they see as nothing more than weapons or as comrade in arms?

While Limeskin respect them as warriors and comrades, majority of those who know about Leprechauns view them as tools and weapons. Again, that's the whole point of the story?

I mean Suwong literally showcases the viewpoint taken towards Leprechauns - "it does not matter, we can make more anyway"

Ten episodes in and we don't know a damn thing about what's going on in the outside world and we're given no reason to care.

Wut. We know plenty about the world and the culture. Like legit majority of hte show was dedicated to that. and towards learning about the culture of the world and how the remaining species live.

Instead we're suppose to focus on Chtholly's mental problems and feeling all sad and heartbroken because of what she's going through. Normally I'd be fine with that because I like Chtholly but this whole mind breakdown thing is written so pathetically I honestly could care less if she turned into a completely different person or not.

Because that's the point of the show? The show is about a live weapons that are viewed as disposable and a single person who takes an opposite stance towards that.

You seem to have been expecting something entirely different form this show.
AhenshihaelJun 7, 2017 2:43 AM
Jun 7, 2017 4:33 AM

Jun 2010
I feel like Ctholly might be reincarnated spirit of the girl that used to be the girl Willem loved. Eventually, Elq will replace Ctholly and become the main love interest of this story, or the two will merge as one being and one consciousness, and that's the only way the memory loss will stop.
Jun 7, 2017 4:39 AM

Jul 2007
neonie said:
I feel like Ctholly might be reincarnated spirit of the girl that used to be the girl Willem loved. Eventually, Elq will replace Ctholly and become the main love interest of this story, or the two will merge as one being and one consciousness, and that's the only way the memory loss will stop.

Except that we already know the girl's name and it is not Elq?
And we have a confirmation t hat Leprechauns are made from children not teenagers.
Jun 7, 2017 4:46 AM

Jun 2010
Fai said:
neonie said:

And we have a confirmation t hat Leprechauns are made from children not teenagers.

I thought they just started as Children. I didn't realize fairies could only be the spirits of dead Children.

I also have completely forgotten what his other lovers name was.

Welp, there goes my theory, I guess.
Jun 7, 2017 4:52 AM
Nov 2016
flannan said:
LukesYGOonYT said:
The snowmen were massacred, and about that Christmas tree...

Troll winter holiday must be pretty scary, with decorations like that.

ichii_1 said:
@Zefyris @Fai yeah but just like the original Ithea she sticks her nose into others business and hides her true feelings (her taking the original Ithea's role), that's what chtolly meant at the end.

It's kind of like "ship of Theseus" philosophical question. Major parts of Ithea got replaced, but nothing seems to have changed. Is she really the same Ithea?
Either way, the new Ithea is still a good friend who is always looking out for the others, so it does not really matter, they should still remain friends. (and Chtolly probably doesn't remember the original Ithea anyway)

DirectorK said:
After watching this episode I think my biggest problem with this series is that the story is weak and it's not focusing enough on the battlefront and instead focusing far too much on the homefront with Chtholly's problems.

Well, it's because it isn't a story about awesome battles. It's a tragic story.

DirectorK said:

The giant skull and the zombie mage are keeping the beasts' true nature a secret, because MC is sure to get angry if he finds out. Which means there must be some terrible secret.
And civilians don't have to be concerned with the beasts any more than real world civilians have to be concerned with tsunamis or earthquakes.

DirectorK said:

Yes, the girls don't have any major reasons to fight. They just have a psychological abnormality that makes them not value their own lives in the least.

DirectorK said:

Well, you've seen it - different people have different feelings. Common soldiers witnessing fairy soldiers' slaying the beasts seem to be afraid of them. That snobby technical officer treats them as weapons.
The veteran surface explorer (MC's friend), on the other hand, treats them as comrades. And lizard commander seems to be the same.

AnimeFanboy1234 said:
HELP ME!:

What actual, reason, is there to enjoy this anime? Everyone else is loving it, but I'm bored by it). Please, someone tell me why I should enjoy it, it's frustrating. Maybe it's because I'm watching weekly, so I forgot all the other cool shit that happens?

"You'll understand when you're older." might seem like a bad answer, but it's true.
No, there is no cool shit happening. Well, apart from the fact the world is 300% cooler than worlds like Kuusen Madoushi.
There are only people, tired and worn-out from their previous lives, trying to look out for the next generation. It's like those CGDCT shows, except tragic.

But that, "tragic people" stuff has almost no focus. It's just...ah, there's no spark to anything. I've watched anime with kinda similar tones, like Haibanei Renmei. Suka Suka feels like it's saying, "Yeah, we're sad and shit" but...no focus. It just feels like watching an anime about characters dicking around. 0 plot progression, etc.
Jun 7, 2017 4:55 AM

Nov 2009
AnimeFanboy1234 said:
Suka Suka feels like it's saying, "Yeah, we're sad and shit" but...no focus. It just feels like watching an anime about characters dicking around. 0 plot progression, etc.

Rewatch the anime when it's complete. While Shuumatsu is slow, it does actually have a plot progression.
Jun 7, 2017 5:30 AM

Dec 2015
Her memories are slowly fading, now I really doubt they'll get that weapon in time to save 'Chtholly'.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jun 7, 2017 7:02 AM

Jul 2007
neonie said:
Fai said:

I thought they just started as Children. I didn't realize fairies could only be the spirits of dead Children.

I also have completely forgotten what his other lovers name was.

Welp, there goes my theory, I guess.

The whole premise of Leprechauns as Suwong explained is that they are essentially created from wandering spirits of dead children who were too young to understand what death is. In a way its part of why Leprechauns have no fear of death or self-preservation too.
Jun 7, 2017 7:17 AM
Nov 2016
flannan said:
AnimeFanboy1234 said:
Suka Suka feels like it's saying, "Yeah, we're sad and shit" but...no focus. It just feels like watching an anime about characters dicking around. 0 plot progression, etc.

Rewatch the anime when it's complete. While Shuumatsu is slow, it does actually have a plot progression.

Eh, no. I have over 30+ anime I need to finish, no time for rewatching.
What REAL plot progression has there been? How much closer are the characters to finding out the origins of the Beasts? Destroying them? I don't care about the characters, they're boring as *bleep* (made 10x worse when this ep focused on organe-what's-her-name's whom I could care even LESS about), I want me some of da PLOT.

-What are the beasts?
-Where are they from?
-Why were they created?
-How much closer are the characters to beating them?

I've seen countless other 1st seasons of anime that get closer to actually getting to the point of these questions.
Jun 7, 2017 7:21 AM

Nov 2009
AnimeFanboy1234 said:
flannan said:

What REAL plot progression has there been? How much closer are the characters to finding out the origins of the Beasts? Destroying them? I don't care about the characters, they're boring as *bleep* (made 10x worse when this ep focused on organe-what's-her-name's whom I could care even LESS about), I want me some of da PLOT.

-What are the beasts?
-Where are they from?
-Why were they created?

I've seen countless other 1st seasons of anime that get closer to actually getting to the point of these questions.

If so, just drop this anime. It is not the anime you're looking for.
The answers do not matter much. This show asks questions like: What will be the cost of fighting beasts? How close is Chtolly to disappearing entirely? Are the flying islands doomed?
Jun 7, 2017 7:28 AM
Nov 2016
flannan said:
AnimeFanboy1234 said:

-What are the beasts?
-Where are they from?
-Why were they created?

If so, just drop this anime. It is not the anime you're looking for.
The answers do not matter much. This show asks questions like: What will be the cost of fighting beasts? How close is Chtolly to disappearing entirely? Are the flying islands doomed?

You know what, yeah. I should've dropped it a long time ago. I never disliked Suka, and it's 10x better than other pieces of garbage I dropped this season. Maybe I might give it another go in the future.
Jun 7, 2017 7:55 AM

Jul 2012
So, about Ithea's story...the desintegration do not always means death...? I mean, it is death in a sense, but I thought the body would never work again and such. OH NOES IS THIS PLASTIC MEMORIES ALL OVER AGAIN D: They "disappear" and another person takes over. Actually, this is a lot worse since we are seeing it happening little by little to Kutori, she is slowly losing herself...oh maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan ;-;
The problem, then, is the other person who takes place. If it is a bad person, then...:S
But, isn't Elq a little girl? Can she be so bad?
Is that right or I'm misunderstandign something? @-@

Williem, the sugar daddy lol

This is really good, this episode had a subtly amount of tension. I like how this is going, althought it is obviously going to be sad. We know that since the first episode.
Unfortunately, I don't really buy Kutori and Williem romance...I think that would help me to care more about this characters :S

I know it is not the main issue, but, I wonder if we are going to have some answers regarding the beasts. I'M CURIOUS Ç-Ç
If not, please spoiler me by the end of the anime lol
taynisJun 7, 2017 8:00 AM

Jun 7, 2017 8:13 AM

Dec 2013
Absolutely loved the Ithea-Ctholly moments we had. Their conversation not only revealed a lot about the Leprechauns, but also the process of mental disintegration that they are facing.

To be fair, the way both girls deal with their memory loss was interesting, yet the things they are going through is also extremely sad as well. All the little nuances, like the brooch on the table, Ctholly knitting scarves for the little ones with their initials (possibly so she could recognize them), revealing that everyone who's noticed her actually knows of her plight, and the soft way that they break their knowledge of this to her as well. It was all so sweet, yet all so sad at the same time.

I can see nothing bad happening until episode 11, or at least the end of episode 10. The preview seems quite chill, though i'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Simply put, this show is amazing.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jun 7, 2017 8:40 AM
Apr 2017
AnimeFanboy1234 said:
flannan said:

-What are the beasts?
-Where are they from?
-Why were they created?

The answer for your questions above will not be included in this anime for now, all the world building and lore will only be answered in volume 4 and 5, while anime most likely will cover until volume 3..

Tbh, there is hardly any clear plot lines in this series, there is no obvious final boss to be defeated by all these main characters, or any main goal to fulfill..In fact we as a reader follow these characters to explore this vast and hopeless world, then discover the history event and dark past behind this world along with character's self story, and things happen in every parts of the world...this is what i concluded after finish the LN

Therefore, if you want to know all that beast stuff, you can go read the volume 4 and 5, if you don't have enough time to read, then i suggest you drop this anime, save your time :)
Jun 7, 2017 8:44 AM

May 2016
AnimeFanboy brought up a point that I failed to mention last night since I was tired: "Plot and Plot Progression". Now that I'm awake let me explain in further detail of why I find this anime lacking.

So the lore and everything else is explained in Vol. 4 and so on through the LNs. That's fine and all but here's the problem: I shouldn't have to rely on the LNs in order to find out what's going on in this world, even though I am reading the LNs at the moment. The anime should be doing that for me and so far it hasn't and from the looks of it it's not going to unless we get another season. But even then, it shouldn't have to take more than one season to explain things unless this was an ongoing series.

If you're going to do any kind of war drama or a story that involves soldiers and some kind of military conflict you need to have three things(and you need to have all three of them, you can't have one or the other).

1. Who or what are the characters fighting against?
2. What are the characters fighting for?
3. And most importantly, how will the character's experiences in this conflict effect their lives both during and after the war?

In addition you need to show what's happening out in the battlefront and how the characters are reacting to it. So far we've only seen these beasts two or three times and yet they seemed to be portrayed as wild animals that are annoying pests rather than a real threat to the world.

The Great Sage tells Willem why the fairies exist and what they're fighting for but even that isn't a good enough explanation because like Willem said, "Even if we did defeat the beasts and managed to return to the surface, what would we find?" The answer is simple: Nothing. There's no real reason to go back to the surface. The world they knew from 500 years ago no longer exists and no one else is interested in returning the surface so what's the point? Instead of trying to go the past why not just build a new life in the world they know now?

Another issue is the plot of the anime and allow me use a quote from brainiac1530's early review.

The first concerns the plot. This is one thing which isn't necessarily light-novel-ish, and seems to be more like one of Key/Visual Arts' so-called "utsuge," or "crying games." I disliked these sorts of stories for being emotionally manipulative. They would unabashedly use cheap tricks to get you to feel sad. Thus, the fear, "Will they have these girls dying off one by one for cheap tears?" Now, a little tragedy isn't a bad thing. However, the end of episode four was troubling. Right after stirring the depths of main guy's trauma, main girl did a stupid anime rom-com thing and broke the tension. Thus, at this point, I don't trust this show to handle tragedy appropriately.

If you're a fan of Key's products then obviously you'll like this anime. I'm a Key fan myself but even I will admit that their stories can be "emotionally manipulative" for the sake of "cheap tears" from time to time so I have to agree that's this is how I feel this is how the anime is going to end up being and I'm honestly not going to really care because the characters I find have rather too basic or no personalities at all.

Now I'm not saying that having tragedy in a story is bad or anything. What I am saying is that tragedy doesn't have to be about sadness and emotional heartbreak. It can be about the loss of both youth and innocence. And I'm not talking about Chtholly alone(as I'm sure you'll bring up), I'm talking about the fairy soldiers in general. Early on we were shown that the fairies don't really care about their lives because they well aware of what they're made for. Well, what if through their experiences in battle they begin to realize just how valuable their lives really are and that the reason why they fight is because so that the younger fairies won't have to fight their war once they come of age?

You see what I'm getting at now? That's what this anime is truly lacking, something that's both significant and meaningful.
DirectorKJun 7, 2017 8:49 AM
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
Jun 7, 2017 9:36 AM
Jun 2017
FIRST : this is not a war drama
SECOND : all your stupid questions are already answered in the anime if you "watch and understand properly"
Go ahead and give me questions and I'll gladly answer them for you mr.genius
DirectorK said:
AnimeFanboy brought up a point that I failed to mention last night since I was tired: "Plot and Plot Progression". Now that I'm awake let me explain in further detail of why I find this anime lacking.

So the lore and everything else is explained in Vol. 4 and so on through the LNs. That's fine and all but here's the problem: I shouldn't have to rely on the LNs in order to find out what's going on in this world, even though I am reading the LNs at the moment. The anime should be doing that for me and so far it hasn't and from the looks of it it's not going to unless we get another season. But even then, it shouldn't have to take more than one season to explain things unless this was an ongoing series.

If you're going to do any kind of war drama or a story that involves soldiers and some kind of military conflict you need to have three things(and you need to have all three of them, you can't have one or the other).

3. And most importantly, how will the character's experiences in this conflict effect their lives both during and after the war?

In addition you need to show what's happening out in the battlefront and how the characters are reacting to it. So far we've only seen these beasts two or three times and yet they seemed to be portrayed as wild animals that are annoying pests rather than a real threat to the world.

The Great Sage tells Willem why the fairies exist and what they're fighting for but even that isn't a good enough explanation because like Willem said, "Even if we did defeat the beasts and managed to return to the surface, what would we find?" The answer is simple: Nothing. There's no real reason to go back to the surface. The world they knew from 500 years ago no longer exists and no one else is interested in returning the surface so what's the point? Instead of trying to go the past why not just build a new life in the world they know now?

Another issue is the plot of the anime and allow me use a quote from brainiac1530's early review.

The first concerns the plot. This is one thing which isn't necessarily light-novel-ish, and seems to be more like one of Key/Visual Arts' so-called "utsuge," or "crying games." I disliked these sorts of stories for being emotionally manipulative. They would unabashedly use cheap tricks to get you to feel sad. Thus, the fear, "Will they have these girls dying off one by one for cheap tears?" Now, a little tragedy isn't a bad thing. However, the end of episode four was troubling. Right after stirring the depths of main guy's trauma, main girl did a stupid anime rom-com thing and broke the tension. Thus, at this point, I don't trust this show to handle tragedy appropriately.

If you're a fan of Key's products then obviously you'll like this anime. I'm a Key fan myself but even I will admit that their stories can be "emotionally manipulative" for the sake of "cheap tears" from time to time so I have to agree that's this is how I feel this is how the anime is going to end up being and I'm honestly not going to really care because the characters I find have rather too basic or no personalities at all.

Now I'm not saying that having tragedy in a story is bad or anything. What I am saying is that tragedy doesn't have to be about sadness and emotional heartbreak. It can be about the loss of both youth and innocence. And I'm not talking about Chtholly alone(as I'm sure you'll bring up), I'm talking about the fairy soldiers in general. Early on we were shown that the fairies don't really care about their lives because they well aware of what they're made for. Well, what if through their experiences in battle they begin to realize just how valuable their lives really are and that the reason why they fight is because so that the younger fairies won't have to fight their war once they come of age?

You see what I'm getting at now? That's what this anime is truly lacking, something that's both significant and meaningful.
Jun 7, 2017 9:47 AM
Oct 2011
If anything, this is a great story and tragedy about returning to home. But alas, we will not have vol.4 animated, so anime-only guys would not understand my sentiments.
Jun 7, 2017 9:55 AM

May 2016
soraroxas249 said:
SECOND : all your stupid questions are already answered in the anime if you "watch and understand properly"

So I'm a genius because I'm bringing up flaws that I feel is holding the story back? Wow, I didn't realize I was that good.

I've have been "watch and understand properly" from episode one and so far I haven't been moved or impressed with what I've seen for the reasons I stated above and before. I'm not going to sit and repeat myself just because you're all butthurt for not sharing the same views as you do. And yes, this does count as a war drama as war dramas often involve tragedy.

And if you're going to insult me simply for being more intelligent than you try coming up with something more original.
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
Jun 7, 2017 10:02 AM
Jun 2017
hahahahahahaha
do tell me the part where there is war.
Oh wait, do you mean the war where the fairies fight against beasts?or some other war that is in the anime that I'm not aware of? Please do elaborate for me
Edit : seems like a lot of people have already answered most of you questions and yet you still have the opinion of "it still lacks", Couldn't agree with you on this one because the anime has alreay given answers to most questions.
Also your line here : After watching this episode I think my biggest problem with this series is that the story is weak and it's not focusing enough on the battlefront and instead focusing far too much on the homefront with Chtholly's problems.
Of course it's not focusing on the frontlines, this story is about how Willeim will start a new life with the fairies.
DirectorK said:
soraroxas249 said:

So I'm a genius because I'm bringing up flaws that I feel is holding the story back? Wow, I didn't realize I was that good.

I've have been "watch and understand properly" from episode one and so far I haven't been moved or impressed with what I've seen for the reasons I stated above and before. I'm not going to sit and repeat myself just because you're all butthurt for not sharing the same views as you do. And yes, this does count as a war drama as war dramas often involve tragedy.

And if you're going to insult me simply for being more intelligent than you try coming up with something more original.
soraroxas249Jun 7, 2017 10:18 AM
Jun 7, 2017 10:31 AM
Nov 2016
DirectorK said:

I cannot tell you how honored I feel that my opinion gave someone else an idea.
That's one thing I haven't elaborated on my feelings towards Suka Suka: Despite being character-driven, the characters lack any spice.

Take Guts from Berserk, for example: Since ep 1 of the anime, we learn where he's from, how he was raised, and constantly see him struggling to change from a wild dog to someone with a purpose. We see him go from desperate for love an affection, to stone-cold, to chill back, to self-doubtful, etc.

Wilhelm is somewhat similar: he has a depressing past, where he's now the only human left. Problem is, the anime places very LITTLE emphasis on this: there are very few scenes where we get to see what's going on in his head, how he feels about the past, etc. It's not reinforced enough for me to care. Besides that, Wilhelm's transition from emo hobo to nice father guy went by extremely fast, and him being a nice fun father guy is his WHOLE character, unless there are other traits I missed.

The #1 issue I have with Suka Suka, is that I never feel like the characters have to face real flaws of themselves.

I had a feeling that something strange felt about the beasts, and you summed it up: they just feel like pests. That, along with the fairies not giving a damn whether they die or not, now that I think about it, makes it hard to be emotionally invested.
Jun 7, 2017 10:40 AM

May 2016
soraroxas249 said:
hahahahahahaha
do tell me the part where there is war.
Oh wait, do you mean the war where the fairies fight against beasts?or some other war that is in the anime that I'm not aware of? Please do elaborate for me
Edit : seems like a lot of people have already answered most of you questions and yet you still have the opinion of "it still lacks", Couldn't agree with you on this one because the anime has alreay given answers to most questions.
Also your line here : After watching this episode I think my biggest problem with this series is that the story is weak and it's not focusing enough on the battlefront and instead focusing far too much on the homefront with Chtholly's problems.
Of course it's not focusing on the frontlines, this story is about how Willeim will start a new life with the fairies.

I am talking the war between the fairies and the beasts and that's what the anime should be focusing on instead of the slice-of-life episodes we've been getting these past few weeks because they hold no significance to the main plot.

Yes, other people have answered those questions but the problem is it raises even more questions. What's so significant about these beasts? Why are they a threat to the world? What did humanity have to do with them as the anime is implying(and I'm sure will be soon answered)?

Willem's and Chtholly's romance is nice and all but what significance does it have to the plot? Simple: Nothing. It's practically Star Wars Episode II done anime style and it's done nothing but slow whatever plot there is done to a crawl.
Jun 7, 2017 12:03 PM

May 2016
AnimeFanboy1234 said:
That's one thing I haven't elaborated on my feelings towards Suka Suka: Despite being character-driven, the characters lack any spice.

Take Guts from Berserk, for example: Since ep 1 of the anime, we learn where he's from, how he was raised, and constantly see him struggling to change from a wild dog to someone with a purpose. We see him go from desperate for love an affection, to stone-cold, to chill back, to self-doubtful, etc.

Wilhelm is somewhat similar: he has a depressing past, where he's now the only human left. Problem is, the anime places very LITTLE emphasis on this: there are very few scenes where we get to see what's going on in his head, how he feels about the past, etc. It's not reinforced enough for me to care. Besides that, Wilhelm's transition from emo hobo to nice father guy went by extremely fast, and him being a nice fun father guy is his WHOLE character, unless there are other traits I missed.

The #1 issue I have with Suka Suka, is that I never feel like the characters have to face real flaws of themselves.

I had a feeling that something strange felt about the beasts, and you summed it up: they just feel like pests. That, along with the fairies not giving a damn whether they die or not, now that I think about it, makes it hard to be emotionally invested.

Funny huh? Considering that a while ago we got into a bit of an argument over The Asterisk War. But hey, no hard feelings and I'm glad to see we share the same thoughts.
Jun 7, 2017 12:04 PM
Oct 2011
DirectorK said:

Willem's and Chtholly's romance is nice and all but what significance does it have to the plot? Simple: Nothing.

Romance IS the part of the plot. Surprise, right?
Don't tell me that the part of the plot doesn't have any significance, because then i would laugh.
YagokorJun 7, 2017 12:22 PM
Jun 7, 2017 12:58 PM

May 2016
Yagokor said:
Don't tell me that the part of the plot doesn't have any significance, because then i would laugh.

Okay. Explain to me then why the romance is so important and why it's more important than what's going on the outside world because all I've seen so far is that it's just put there for the sake of having romance just so all the emo kids can have their heartstrings tugged.
Jun 7, 2017 1:09 PM
Nov 2016
DirectorK said:
AnimeFanboy1234 said:

Funny huh? Considering that a while ago we got into a bit of an argument over The Asterisk War. But hey, no hard feelings and I'm glad to see we share the same thoughts.

Wait what?! You're the guy who made that Asterisk War post that I criticized?!
Hold on, how could you memorize a generic name like I have anyways?!
Am the only one who sucks at memorizing peoples' names on MAL?!
Jun 7, 2017 1:58 PM

May 2016
AnimeFanboy1234 said:
Wait what?! You're the guy who made that Asterisk War post that I criticized?!
Hold on, how could you memorize a generic name like I have anyways?!
Am the only one who sucks at memorizing peoples' names on MAL?!

That's a secret. wink
But seriously though, you're name is pretty easy to recognize so don't feel bad about it being generic. We should speak again ASAP.
Jun 7, 2017 2:23 PM
Oct 2013
I'm still mad the anime skipped the awesome twist brought by the narration at the end of volume 1.
The anime will clearly end at the worst moment : end of volume 3.
Jun 7, 2017 2:30 PM
Oct 2011
DirectorK said:
Yagokor said:

Okay. Explain to me then why the romance is so important and why it's more important than what's going on the outside world because all I've seen so far is that it's just put there for the sake of having romance just so all the emo kids can have their heartstrings tugged.

Romance is so important because it's a part of the plot? I repeat myself, i know, but what can i do?
I can only add that all parts of the plot is equally important.
If you don't like romance(in general or only in sukasuka) - that's okay, really. But for god sake, would you like to stop picking words like "importance" or "significance" in the matters of your taste? It's just ridiculous.
Well, maybe i'm just in bad mood today...

ShinItsuwari said:
I'm still mad the anime skipped the awesome twist brought by the narration at the end of volume 1.

Yeah, so much this.
YagokorJun 7, 2017 2:35 PM
Jun 7, 2017 2:30 PM

May 2016
Im the only one who had heart attack at the start of the episode?
Jun 7, 2017 3:20 PM

May 2015
Momosamaa said:
I didn't really understand Ithea's whole backstory. She remembered who she was before she died and turned into what she is now?

It's something along the lines of:

1. "Ithea" forgot who she was when she woke up due to mental disintegration.
2. "Ithea" reads Ithea's diary to learn who Ithea was.
3. "Ithea" adopts Ithea's personality and lifestyle to the point where "Ithea" becomes Ithea.

So basically, the girl formerly known as Ithea becomes Ithea after reading Ithea's diary. You get the Ithea?
Jun 7, 2017 3:24 PM

Mar 2013
That snaggle-tooth girl reveal :0
Lol, massacred snowmen xD
Frilly dresses, ew
And I don't know if its just me, but the romance between Chtolly and Willem feels a little forced :/ Suddenly blushing because he sees her in a different dress?
Jun 7, 2017 3:28 PM

May 2016
Yagokor said:
Romance is so important because it's a part of the plot? I repeat myself, i know, but what can i do?
I can only add that all parts of the plot is equally important.
If you don't like romance(in general or only in sukasuka) - that's okay, really. But for god sake, would you like to stop picking words like "importance" or "significance" in the matters of your taste? It's just ridiculous.
Well, maybe i'm just in bad mood today...

Or maybe you just don't know and don't want to be bothered thinking about it because that's too hard. I'm sorry, and I don't mean to be rude, but if you're going to argue with someone over a disagreement and/or difference of opinion you need to be able to back up your argument.

I have nothing against romance seeing how I like to read visual novels, but the romance here is not very well done and has done nothing to move the plot forward.
Jun 7, 2017 3:38 PM

Aug 2012
The casual fucking Ithea bomb drop though.
Jun 7, 2017 3:48 PM

May 2015
Momosamaa said:
Tarotist said:

It's something along the lines of:

1. "Ithea" forgot who she was when she woke up due to mental disintegration.
2. "Ithea" reads Ithea's diary to learn who Ithea was.
3. "Ithea" adopts Ithea's personality and lifestyle to the point where "Ithea" becomes Ithea.

So basically, the girl formerly known as Ithea becomes Ithea after reading Ithea's diary. You get the Ithea?

Haha! I like that xD So when a fairy goes through that mental byebye stuff. They wake up in the same body, but just don't know anything? Cause I know the disintegration happens when they get older. So they can keep fighting over and over and over? Then it happens again when they get even older? Or something like that? Confusing ><

Well I don't know all the details since I didn't read the LN, but from what I watched:

1. Remember that these fairies are like kamikaze weapons. They go to battle, they self-destruct, they die. Perhaps they do this before they begin to lose their memories since these "weapons" become worthless if they don't remember how to be a weapon. Remember that Chtholly was supposed to die in episode 4 when she went on the mission. But she didn't, and since she's getting older, she begins to undergo the mental disintegration.

2. This case of regaining memories is probably exclusive to Ithea because she kept a diary. Remember when Chtholly said that maybe she should keep a diary of her own? This means that she does not have a diary, so she may not be able to regain her memories once they're gone...unless...

But these are just my thoughts on the matter. LN readers, correct me if I'm wrong.
Jun 7, 2017 3:51 PM

Mar 2015
The bloody looking snowmen were a surprise.
The sword that takes life gives life
Jun 7, 2017 4:04 PM
Jan 2017
Chtholly has struggled for so long to make a life for herself outside the constant fighting, and now those hopes are dashed by the inevitable death of her personality. Willem and the others are clearly at a loss about what to do, but at least they agree to spend time with Chtholly as happily as possible. If there is something this show excels at it's the poignant pathos that makes the characters likable.
Jun 7, 2017 5:52 PM
Aug 2014
Death flags! Death flags everywhere! But you know what, if we're going down this path they better die together.
Jun 7, 2017 6:53 PM

Apr 2015
Cyanwasserstoff said:
lcborella said:
Really, this is getting more and more sad. I have hope that Kutori coul get better, but then I remember the first scene from the episode one and than I lose all the hope.

Yeah, dead eyes, a empty look and we already got confirmed from Ithea that the Leprechaun loses their own memories and personality. The first scene of this anime confirmed that Chtholly will turn into a nothing more then a empty shell that is ready to get the next "software" to be written on the body as new personality with own memories.
But there are two possible ways how that could turn out:
1st Chtholly`s body will be recycled and a new fairy will take over her body.
2nd Before a new fairy could take her body, her body will die (she kill herself or would be killed by someone else or something else)

Willem was falling down from a high distance to the ground together with Nephren. So that could mean a bittersweet end for all three, especially for Willem and Chtholly.
Or Chtholly will save Willem and Nephren and got killed after that. Also a plausible possibility of that situation.

And we still have that great picture from the ending of Plastic Memories:

For me, the happy ending would be Kutori and the MC dying together, because Kutore cant recover her mind and the MC had lived enough, then both of them dying is the best way to end the anime, for me. The only think that is worrying me is the fact that the MC and Kutori are not acting getting enough time together and this is horrible for Kutori.
Jun 7, 2017 8:46 PM

Feb 2014
It took me a day to work up the courage to watch the episode

I'm not prepared for the dread thats coming ><
Jun 7, 2017 9:26 PM

Jul 2016
D E S U F L A G, I felt something really bad coming. Gonna ready for the feels.

It seems like personality remains although memories fade, judging on what happened to Ithea. She still have the personality of past Ithea, always putting nose on others business and not true on her feelings.
Jun 7, 2017 9:26 PM
Apr 2017
DirectorK said:
Yagokor said:

From what i see so far, this series has no real plot and no final objective to be reached..Same with the ppl on the floating islands, they don't know what their future hold, as said by Great Sage, he don't even know how long these islands will continue floating, they can only continue living while worrying about the attacks from beasts which can happen at any time..

Sorry to tell u that the relationship between williem and kutori and these fairies is the only plot in the anime..In this vast and hopeless world, some ppl may found their own life to live but there are also some ppl who struggling to continue their life..and yea they are the fairies..The anime want to show in this hopeless world, some ppl like these main characters want to live their life to fullness and protect the ppl they love(williem) or cherish their life(Chtholly)

In my opinion, we as a viewer to follow these characters to discover the mistery and history of this world while progressing the story between these character slowly..While discovering the dark side of character, we showing the dark side of the world as well

First half of anime is talking from williem's perspective and second half of anime talking from Chtholly's prespective..Williem himself as well has no real objective to follow and don't know what's his future, same with ppl on the islands...until he found these fairies, and show how these fairies change him..

Tbh this anime adaptation cut a tons of character monologue as it used to convey what these character really thinking about so for some anime-only they can't care about the characters because of lack of interpretation of characters..but as LN reader, i think this anime was well adapted to brings out the melancholic feels of the world and those important scenes like williem's past and mental disintegration of Chtholly

omg sorry for long post, this is my answer and forgive me if it doesn't answer your questions :)
Jun 8, 2017 7:31 AM

Oct 2014
People that watch this anime or read its LN should use the Drakengard and Nier franchise as a reference for how the story is told.
Jun 8, 2017 8:51 AM
Oct 2007
This episode feels like the ultimate setup for an upcoming tragic scene, hopefully not!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 8, 2017 9:34 AM

Apr 2016
This show is really hitting me in the feels. Chtholly has lost most of her memories with the children. And she said it herself that re-learning names is easy but her memories won't come back.

I will say that this is the best anime of this season. Sure we have BnHA and SnK and Natsume Yuujinchou, but I really love this series.

Others that I like would be Alice to Zouroku, Tsuki ga Kirei, Re:Creators, Akashic Records and Eromanga-sensei.
Jun 8, 2017 12:59 PM

Aug 2008
I'm going to have to say I was excited in the beginning of the series but now the show just feels slow boring and way to melodramatic. Every episode is either boring with characters doing a personal feels monologue taking up anywhere from a third to half the episode or characters straight up overreacting to circumstances that don't warrant that reaction or don't seem to be deserved yet. The only real interesting parts oddly enough are when they don't have the direct main cast on screen which is so very rare. Its probably because the main cast just don't have any interesting conflict or stakes in the world that has been created when the world itself has been arguably the biggest selling point of the series.

Tl'dr characters doing uninteresting things and not interacting with an interesting world make for a boring story.
Jun 8, 2017 1:54 PM

May 2016
HaruhiroYume said:
From what i see so far, this series has no real plot and no final objective to be reached..Same with the ppl on the floating islands, they don't know what their future hold, as said by Great Sage, he don't even know how long these islands will continue floating, they can only continue living while worrying about the attacks from beasts which can happen at any time..

Sorry to tell u that the relationship between williem and kutori and these fairies is the only plot in the anime..In this vast and hopeless world, some ppl may found their own life to live but there are also some ppl who struggling to continue their life..and yea they are the fairies..The anime want to show in this hopeless world, some ppl like these main characters want to live their life to fullness and protect the ppl they love(williem) or cherish their life(Chtholly)

In my opinion, we as a viewer to follow these characters to discover the mistery and history of this world while progressing the story between these character slowly..While discovering the dark side of character, we showing the dark side of the world as well

First half of anime is talking from williem's perspective and second half of anime talking from Chtholly's prespective..Williem himself as well has no real objective to follow and don't know what's his future, same with ppl on the islands...until he found these fairies, and show how these fairies change him..

Tbh this anime adaptation cut a tons of character monologue as it used to convey what these character really thinking about so for some anime-only they can't care about the characters because of lack of interpretation of characters..but as LN reader, i think this anime was well adapted to brings out the melancholic feels of the world and those important scenes like williem's past and mental disintegration of Chtholly

omg sorry for long post, this is my answer and forgive me if it doesn't answer your questions :)

Well, there's the problem. That information only tells me that we're being told the wrong story and not being given the bigger picture of what's going on in this world. If this is strictly a contemporary story set in modern day Earth I wouldn't have minded so much, but since it isn't I'm only feeling disappointed because once again we have we have an anime with a great concept that's turned into wasted potential. At this point, I seriously doubt the ending going to change my opinion about this show.

Much as I hate to say this, because it's going to make me sound like a complete jerk, I say with honest sincerity that I could have come with a much better than the one we got.
Jun 8, 2017 8:47 PM
May 2015
This episode just made me sad =/ chtolly is such a lovely character...can someone plz tellme this is goin for an happy ending..plz?
Jun 8, 2017 9:26 PM

Mar 2009
The memory loss thing is incredibly depressing.
Jun 8, 2017 10:23 PM
Apr 2017
DragonSlayer_19 said:
Tbh,volume 4 is doable only if they conclude volume 3 and adapt the first chapter of volume 4 which is pretty much a very short chapter next episode. I wouldn't rule out an anime original ending, Akira sensei showed that he is willing to add in AO scenes. Also we have to take into account that this may be a 13 episode show (or was it confirmed strictly 12 episodes?)

I think they'll skipp vol4 and also mostly everything relate to the beast, next episode will have the flashback in vol5 and ep 11,12 will be about their expedition and the battle on the ship.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2017

458 by -ODA- »»
Apr 9, 8:01 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2017

133 by toralbabs »»
Nov 6, 2023 7:11 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2017

148 by toralbabs »»
Nov 6, 2023 6:34 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 30, 2017

130 by toralbabs »»
Nov 3, 2023 8:38 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 23, 2017

85 by toralbabs »»
Oct 31, 2023 8:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.