Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Sep 22, 2016 1:55 AM

Dec 2015
theHollowGhost said:
Lol I think I'm too dumb to understand this...

What didn't you understand? Maybe I can help.
However keep in mind that this movie is a bit confusing for every first-time watcher, but later on there'll be some useful explanations.

Also you could read this review, it brings interesting points without spoiling the rest of the series.
Nov 30, 2016 8:14 AM

Mar 2015
Strawberry is related to Rose, awesome!!

Awesome Yuki Kajiura OST and Kalafina Oblivious Godly song.

This should tagged as horror!

Sure, suicide is a wise option. Its not a weak person path. I believe suicide is a reset of your life from very beginning with different body and soul.

There are parts that I dont understand like flying and floating.

ED Song: 4.3/5

4.2/5
Dec 6, 2016 12:37 AM

Dec 2015
Raijin-sama619 said:

Kirie Fujou (girl at the hospital) used some innate curse abilities to perpetuate the Fujou Building suicide spree, in which highschool students are reported as mysteriously committing suicide despite little to no indication in the personality and circumstances of the victims. At the same time, that “comatose boy” is discovered by Ryougi to have fallen into a state of deep coma due to unknown circumstances. Shiki and Touko deduce that the suicide spree may be connected to the boy's predicament. When Ryougi decides to investigate the site of the suicide spree at nighttime, she glimpses at the rooftop discovering seven floating apparitions surrounding what seems to be a leading ghostly figure – later revealed to be Kirie's second body. After causing the death of her fourth victim, Kirie's second body was confronted by Shiki Ryougi inside the Fujou Building out of worry for the boy’s sake.

After accidentally developing her abilities in a state of complete control, Kirie is able to project her mind on a wide area all while being able to possess vessels (i.e. human bodies) and create auto-suggestive drives in their minds (e.g. commit suicide). Through her second body, Kirie's ability is amplified to the point in which she is able to channel herself and possess individuals on a wide and panoramic scale, enough for her to willingly choose her victims. This causes her victims' bodies to act lifeless, in which they are easily driven to death, thus creating the impression of a suicide. Kirie has enough control over her abilities to the point that she was able to prevent that boy's body from committing suicide despite seemingly possessing him the same way as her other victims.
Kirie decides to commit suicide believing that she has nothing to live for, all while desiring the same experience she felt when Shiki had killed her second body. After her death, the boy wakes up from his unconscious state with little to no awareness of the incident and his possession.

That “comatose boy” is the dragonfly. He’s flying, he has a normal life. Fujou envies it because in her life stuck in the hospital she can’t see anything of the outside world. That leaves her only able to float. Fujou attempts to be as him, to fly – but she is a butterfly and not a dragonfly, and the boy does not slow in his life, so she can’t keep up and falls.

Fujou is lonely, so she brings others to float with her. But she envies the boy and wants him to take her to fly with him, and she does not want to take that away since she is in admiration of his normal life, hence she does not attempt to make him float the way she does with others.
Dec 6, 2016 2:24 AM

Mar 2015
Xarvon said:
Raijin-sama619 said:

Kirie Fujou (girl at the hospital) used some innate curse abilities to perpetuate the Fujou Building suicide spree, in which highschool students are reported as mysteriously committing suicide despite little to no indication in the personality and circumstances of the victims. At the same time, that “comatose boy” is discovered by Ryougi to have fallen into a state of deep coma due to unknown circumstances. Shiki and Touko deduce that the suicide spree may be connected to the boy's predicament. When Ryougi decides to investigate the site of the suicide spree at nighttime, she glimpses at the rooftop discovering seven floating apparitions surrounding what seems to be a leading ghostly figure – later revealed to be Kirie's second body. After causing the death of her fourth victim, Kirie's second body was confronted by Shiki Ryougi inside the Fujou Building out of worry for the boy’s sake.

After accidentally developing her abilities in a state of complete control, Kirie is able to project her mind on a wide area all while being able to possess vessels (i.e. human bodies) and create auto-suggestive drives in their minds (e.g. commit suicide). Through her second body, Kirie's ability is amplified to the point in which she is able to channel herself and possess individuals on a wide and panoramic scale, enough for her to willingly choose her victims. This causes her victims' bodies to act lifeless, in which they are easily driven to death, thus creating the impression of a suicide. Kirie has enough control over her abilities to the point that she was able to prevent that boy's body from committing suicide despite seemingly possessing him the same way as her other victims.
Kirie decides to commit suicide believing that she has nothing to live for, all while desiring the same experience she felt when Shiki had killed her second body. After her death, the boy wakes up from his unconscious state with little to no awareness of the incident and his possession.

That “comatose boy” is the dragonfly. He’s flying, he has a normal life. Fujou envies it because in her life stuck in the hospital she can’t see anything of the outside world. That leaves her only able to float. Fujou attempts to be as him, to fly – but she is a butterfly and not a dragonfly, and the boy does not slow in his life, so she can’t keep up and falls.

Fujou is lonely, so she brings others to float with her. But she envies the boy and wants him to take her to fly with him, and she does not want to take that away since she is in admiration of his normal life, hence she does not attempt to make him float the way she does with others.

What an awesome explanation!! Thanks a banana. I mostly understand the mystery behind that movie thanks to you and what an effort for the long explanation :O
Jan 5, 2017 5:23 AM

Nov 2011
Because ultimately, I saw the eighth film of this saga, I had the wish to review, for the umpteenth time, all films that make this adaptation. The narrative, while not giving any reference on what is happening and being thrown in a context with no way of knowing the links between the various characters; the fact remains that in the end it remains fascinated by what happens. I reflected on the fact that despite the graphic quality, is influenced by technological progress, what remains immutable in its parameters, is the soundtrack that accompanies each animated adaptation, whatever it is. If it is beautiful, it always has, beyond everything. Also for the executioners, sometimes, it feels good will and their death is sad.
Only after I re-watched this movie, I realized that there is a specific order in which the seven films are looked at, I think I'll have to re-see it again.
Jan 9, 2017 5:17 AM

Nov 2011
Re-seeing according to the timeline, now this film is a complete sense in all situations that are narrated during it. All the perplexities, are a perfect match with the events that happen and it appreciates the plot. Despite having only recently re-seen, re-listen to the music that make up the soundtrack, I always feel the same shiver runs down my spine, as if for the first time, this means: that this series of films are a great work as a screenplay, atmospheres and sounds. Brava Ufotable and Type-moon!
Jan 21, 2017 9:06 PM

Dec 2016
Simply beautiful, if rather small in scope. I don't mind - I'm hooked!

Surprisingly, I got the meaning the first time around. Nothing made no sense (at least, for what could possibly be gleaned). Guess I'm off to the second one!
Feb 13, 2017 7:51 PM

Jan 2016
So, i understood pretty much nothing lol
But i know it's not in chronological order and i'm supposed to watch this way even though i won't understand pretty much anything in the first movie
I don't know, guess i can say the animation and soundtrack seems nice? although their eyes look so dead
Feb 16, 2017 8:55 AM

Dec 2015
RileyReid said:
So, i understood pretty much nothing lol

Feb 22, 2017 5:47 AM

Jul 2008
The visuals on this are INSANE!!! The story doesn't make much sense, however there are still what 6 more to go so I'll give it some leeway.

9/10 for me....needed to be longer.
Mar 3, 2017 1:30 AM

Jan 2017
I heard a lot about Kara No Kyoukai and I'm glad that I started watching it. The animation and the soundtrack is amazing. I kept repeating some parts because of the soundtrack.

PS. Her eyes are beautiful.
Sorry for my English.
Apr 22, 2017 10:13 PM

Mar 2017
Mhm this was kind of boring for me. The animation and soundtrack were superb!
Gonna try and watch the other movies and see if I'll enjoy those.
Jun 6, 2017 7:20 PM

Jul 2014
For a 2007 movie, ufotable did a great job in animation and OST. Too bad the story was a complete wat.

5/10.
Jun 22, 2017 1:39 PM

Dec 2015
I honestly expected more, apart from the animation, nothing was that impressive. I hope the next part is better. 4/10.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jul 25, 2017 10:49 AM

Aug 2013
Good start, considering this is the first part.

The art and sound were great. Loved the ED and it fit well with the first episode. The characters are interesting. I have high expectation its sequels.

Shiki was cute in the end, especially when he blushed. :3

Aug 15, 2017 11:58 AM

May 2015
quite good for first part.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 25, 2017 12:26 AM

Oct 2015
it was a fast paced movie but understood in the end. I dont know about the novel but the movie still has not impressed me yet, will try the sequel. But this Shiki is promising to watch judging the way she took out those demons.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 2, 2017 6:10 AM

Feb 2015
God, I don't know how ufotable manages it, but they always seem to both have a hideous artstyle and a huge fanbase.
Nov 1, 2017 5:10 PM

May 2010
My first time watching KnK movies, and it was confusing as hell... But I love confusing movies! I was quite intrigued with the plot, and while it didn't go into suicidal themes as deeply as I hoped it would, it was nevertheless quite enjoyable.

I sincerely felt bad for the sick, lonely lady, even while knowing of her wrongdoings, it's a shame we didn't get to see more of her perspective. I wish I could watch more of her side of story! Animation was very good, and the soundtrack was PERFECT.

I don't have many thoughts on main characters yet though, so I definitely have to check out other films now. 7/10
Nov 29, 2017 6:51 AM

Aug 2015
Nice start to the series. Loved the atmosphere and mood, the visuals and sound were fantastic. My only complaints would be about the disjointed dialogue and lack of depth in the characters, these made the story less interesting for me but that's probably due to these movies being told out of order.
Jan 17, 2018 2:07 PM

Sep 2013
Not sure who the people were (the main characters, I mean). Gonna have to watch the rest to figure out what's going on.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Feb 2, 2018 7:50 PM

Dec 2012
I'm so lost lol. But the soundtrack is amazing and the art wtf this anime is from 2007!

Feb 14, 2018 6:53 PM
Sep 2015
Lol, really? There is a rash of daily unexplained suicide dives from the roof of a building and nobody does anything about it? Like lock the door to the roof or post a watchman maybe?

I liked that the astral projecting murderer was tracked down so swiftly after the astral projection was destroyed. Wish it had been Shiki who tracked her down, and wish her end would've included enough suffering to make up for the 7 murders.

Don't have a clue what was going on with the murderer's floating harem. Those girls weren't unconscious like the woman said. What were their spirits doing there?

Anyway, was boring most of the time, but the action was great. 6/10
Feb 20, 2018 10:20 AM
Mar 2009
Having come to watch it straight after Fate Grand Order Collab the only thought I'm having right now is: "Well this shit is confusing."

And also that Shiki is wearing Saber's Rain cloak from VN.
Mar 8, 2018 8:53 AM

Sep 2011
Viltas said:
This got a million times better the second time I watched it. One thing I don't get though is what they directly mean by "floating". I guess it's pretty obvious what they mean when they say "flying" but what does the prior translate to? Is it as simple as being alive or is it living itself?

If you can, take the butterfly as an example. He said the butterfly was tired of how weightless it felt when it was floating, so it flew. Does that mean it was tired of living after realizing just being alive was exhausting? Did it feel weightless because it couldn't keep up compared to the dragonfly? Am I on a right track?

I'd really appreciate a reply.

You're pretty much on the right track. "Floating" represents the idea of just living out your life without any fulfillment or purpose anymore. Kirie Fujou's state of being bedridden with nothing else left in her life is represented by just that. When she finally felt "exhausted" from chasing the "dragonfly" (Mikiya), she gave up and forfeited her own life in turn. The sad part is that after many years of being bedridden she felt alive once again when Shiki fought and destroyed her second body, so she wanted to replicate the same sensation through suicide since she felt that the future had nothing else in store for her.
ronriMar 8, 2018 8:59 AM
Mar 18, 2018 11:43 PM

Aug 2012
Watched the movie hours ago before work but I wanted to comment so hopefully I didn't misremember anything. I don't think I need to say much about the visuals or soundtrack, they were both of high quality and the only problem with that is I don't know which one was the movie's strongest point. Both were excellent and I'm expecting this to continue throughout the rest of the film.

Outside of that, it was alright, though there were two things I really liked. The first being the visual direction of the bird-eye view of Shiki's answering machine from her perspective. There was a lot of talk from Touko about the overlooking view, about the vastness of the world leading someone to lose perspective of themselves and lives and stuff, and this was tied into Fujou's characterization (or just additional philosophizing) so I thought creating a contrast with Shiki's view after that speech was pretty clever. Since the answering machine was tied into Miyika, it works as a parallel to both Shiki & Fujou's ties to Miyika but contrasting their point of view. Like Shiki's was more centralized towards him (the answering machine) while Fujou's was more what he represented, an experience she lacked being confined to a hospital room (he's just a tangible part of the world that exists outside her window view after all).

The other thing I liked was Mikiya's talk about suicide. Partially because Shiki cutting him off at first and calling his answer ridiculous was one of the only moments that the movie's dialogue portrayed personality but mostly because I really liked the insight. The whole, "It's easy to be brave for a moment than the rest of your life" line (which I know wasn't phrased like that but I'm not pulling and searching for a direct quote). I don't know, I just like the way it was worded, it felt palpable to me. I also like that since it came from someone who was arguing he would kill himself, the scene came across as more sympathetic than judgmental. The whole suicide is cowardice approach I feel kinda feeds into people's desire to kill themselves. You know just like, if you have those suicidal thoughts and even if you don't talk to someone, hearing the idea that it just makes you a coward, or weak will only feed in to the anxieties and self-loathing that you might have. So having it this way feels more comforting, especially with Shiki denying Mikiya's weakness at the end.
Oct 22, 2018 6:13 AM

Sep 2016
Might be late, but it was awesome,the fight scenes on rooftop, the arc told perfectly, the art was amazing, nothing else to expect from ufotbale, whe nit comes to type moon stuff,they know how to do it well.
Oct 26, 2018 2:08 PM

Dec 2016
Looked good but was kind of confusing, gonna keep watching the movies though because I enjoyed it for the most part
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 4, 2018 12:18 AM
Nov 2018
hello, I watched KnK movie 1-6(in release order).
and right now, I still don't understand why this is so popular. (no offense to the fans)
is it because it's just not my cup of tea, or should I watch the 7th and 8th movie.

p.s. the story is not confusing, even it is not in chronological order, and I already know th mystic eyes bec. I watched shingetsutan back then.
Apr 27, 2019 5:18 PM

Apr 2016
Kinda felt like I came in the middle of a story.

Though a woman who hides a knife in her Obi will always get my attention.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2019 6:47 AM

Aug 2008
I liked this a little bit more on second watch and will see if I can get an interest to watch the others in this series. Maybe. I still find the characters thin as the story starts up with nothing to make me care about these people.

It's also think its absurd that if there are multiple suicides coming from the same place that the police wouldn't post officers there to deter anyone from doing it again. As soon as a second girl dies and it seems to be a pattern no one would be allowed inside the abandoned building. But no, leave it open for as many teenagers as possible to kill themselves because... plot demands it I guess. Just like the woman responsible can just get in her wheelchair and roll out of the hospital and go to the building to jump herself. Because plot. Even if its stupid.
gswelcomeJul 7, 2019 7:02 AM
Aug 25, 2019 8:31 PM

Mar 2019
Not entire sure 100% of what happened, but was enjoyable, animation was great and then OST is brilliant. 7/10 for me but might rate higher after watching the other movies.
Dec 29, 2019 3:50 AM

Apr 2013
Hmm an alright movie on its own I guess, quite average. Had some boring scenes and some interesting ones. Characters seem quite bland so far. 5/10
Feb 10, 2020 9:07 AM

Dec 2014
Yep was a bit confused but still gonna watch it all
Feb 23, 2020 1:46 AM

Jan 2016
I watched this a couple years back and forgot about the OST (Oblivious) at the end. Absolutely gorgeous song. Feelings about the movie aren't too different though.
Feb 24, 2020 1:13 AM

Nov 2017
The ending song alone made this worth watching.
Mar 18, 2020 1:06 PM
Dec 2019
Liked this movie!
8/10
10/10 for the ending theme!!
May 8, 2020 12:30 AM

Dec 2009
From May 15, 2011 to rewatching it for the first time on May 8, 2020.
It's not as boring as it was at all from my immature anticipation of epic action from an anime music video that I watched which is what led me to watch this.
Although, the odd dumb mystery with vague poetic metaphors of life and hints cannot be comprehended with the subtle unclear dialogue.

The visuals and soundtrack is fucking gorgeous.
The care of Shiki x Mikiya is interesting but... the unclear mystery of Kirie's behavior to suicide, along with Touko's and Shiki's awareness, Mikiya's coma and Shiki's spiritual powers is too mystifying. 4/10.

I don't know if I'll understand it all throughout the whole franchise, if not, this story is thoughtless and/or a bad adaption to the novel...
Jun 25, 2020 3:34 PM

Aug 2017
Rewatching and still like it. Music fantastic as always, some nice visual scenes but I don't think the animation is that good. The rain scene was beautiful though. I also love the atmosphere this serie gives. I don't understand always what the characters are thinking but reading some comments here helps. 8/10
Jul 25, 2020 8:17 PM

Mar 2019
Great OST and animation, especially for a movie that released in 2007 (just goes to show how great ufotable is). The story was semi-hard to follow, but since the movies are not chronological, I'm sure after watching them all I'll understand it better. Shiki is a bad-ass, I definitely can see her becoming one of my favorite characters.

Aug 29, 2020 8:58 AM

Sep 2017
Nice story. Good fighting scene. I love shiki.

Also kokuto. WTF??

He is like a very very nice guy to every lady he fucking meets. Dunno what is the problem with him.

I think shiki is the cutest thing that appeared on this earth.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Sep 17, 2020 11:26 AM

May 2020
Story is confusing but nice work. So I can guess the murder is SHIKI and Kokotou trying to figure it out. I'd more interest to red hair onee-san. Touko, she is cute, somehow wearing glasses, normal boobs, cigarette. She is so pretty mature. 7/10 for the whole show.
Oct 13, 2020 10:56 PM

Jun 2020
Well the first part of the movie was not that Interesting but I think with a few movie it will become a good movie, the animation was very good as expected at Ufutable I really loved there animation especially on the Fate stay night heavens feel that was amazing, anyway it seems like that Shiki is a tsundere I like that side of her and I think this was a pretty good movie.
Nov 12, 2020 10:25 PM

Oct 2013
Holy shit, if I didn't already know this was written by Kinoko Nasu, I would now. Big brain ramblings about floating butterflies, why suicide is ok, and some esoteric, supernatural shit about girls being caught in time because their memory hasn't caught up with their physical bodies or some shit like that; I dunno, I didn't really understand it, which is classic Nasu, really. Flashbacks to the 70 odd hours I spent reading Fate/stay night back in 2014.

So all of that means this was a good opening chapter.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Dec 25, 2020 2:39 AM

Aug 2020
It was great anime
Dec 30, 2020 12:07 AM

May 2020
Hmmm...nothing really crazy happened this episode, I think the others will be better tho. The art is also pretty good, I'm not gonna talk about the great animation. Thanks ufotable
Jan 1, 2021 8:13 PM

Dec 2014
Rewatching this because I never got around to completing this series the last time I started it and at this point I barely remember anything.

The story is definitely interesting but there's a lot of involved dialogue that you really need to pay attention to cause it goes down fast. Sometimes I wish we had more time to think about the things they brought up about suicide, escape and "Overlooking view". I guess the fact that this was released in an out of chronological order makes it harder to understand with regards to Shiki's powers and stuff but I guess there is kind of an unique appeal about doing it this way. I guess knowing about some lore from FGO and what not helps me this time around compared to when I first watched it.

7/10
Jan 2, 2021 7:11 AM

Jul 2019
Watching this in release order as I was suggested. Hardly hooked me in. I guess only the readers of the VN would truly enjoy this. 5/10. Fell asleep near the ending. Though maybe I'll give the next one a try cause this is giving me a monogatari vibe. Dialogue heavy.
leevJan 2, 2021 7:16 AM
Feb 6, 2021 11:04 AM

Feb 2020
That was a very confusing movie. There were so little explanations, it was hard to understand everything at first, though after a while I think I more or less got the most important.
It was interesting (though I'm not a fan of that "suicide victims are weak and cowards" kind of message), I like Shiki's character and am looking forward to know more about her, the sick woman was also an interesting character, but overall it was a bit weird, as if there were many scenes missing. Plus, I didn't really feel like I was watching a movie, it felt more like a long episode. But it's only the first of a franchise, maybe the rest will be better, I hope so.
Mar 7, 2021 5:03 AM

Feb 2021
Absolutely love the first movie. There are some confusing dialogues in the movie but this is something I would watch over again just to understand the 'concept' thoroughly. Maybe I'll watch it again after I'm done with the overall series, 'cause I heard that the episodes aren't chronological. Watching the other series may help answer the stuff I'm confused abt tho. Overall this is a really good underrated movie... plus the main character's really interesting
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

» What would you recommend in the Kara no Kyoukai series if I were to see it in a movie theater?

kihel - Nov 18, 2023

16 by kihel »»
Dec 4, 2023 4:42 PM

» future KnK movies similar to this first one? (spoilers maybe)

yoru987 - Sep 8, 2023

21 by Zane_0 »»
Oct 25, 2023 5:51 PM

» Is the plot of each film self-contained?

StaleNut - Jul 4, 2023

8 by IhnalakoKaina »»
Jul 4, 2023 4:47 AM

» Do you like Shiki?

Stacias - Aug 6, 2022

24 by Merve2Love »»
Jun 30, 2023 8:44 PM

» Help please

ScuzzyBear - Apr 1, 2023

6 by Mr_Ding »»
Apr 1, 2023 1:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.