Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 2017 8:16 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
An underwater battle in Antarctica is definitely something one doesn't see every day. A charming throwback to 0080, a notion further complemented by the awesome redesigns of Zeon's amphibious Mobile Suits. It was a joy to watch, despite the fact that the show is still lacking in the story department. An insight into the background of the religious cult trying to gain independence was intriguing as well.

Io and Bianca fared well, despite the fact that the situation got a bit dire for the former. Bianca's performance was impressive as she had no prior experience of fighting under the effects of gravity nor below the surface. Still, at least they will be able to perform together again.

"These legs aren't just for show."
Apr 28, 2017 8:21 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
That musical performance in the beginning was GOAT and best girl Bianca needs a better suit man....She's fucking perfect in every way

Great episode overall and a very unique choice of location for a battle this episode, plus I really LOVE the chemistry and performance between Lo and Bianca (I REALLY hope that she doesn't die)

And the ED song was just......Words cannot describe how perfect of a choice that particular song is
Apr 28, 2017 12:44 PM
Jul 2018
I'm disappointed Alicia and Sonia didn't have screen time in battle. I want to see them in sexy pilot suits. Carolina shouldn't had died. I want to know more about her. I want to see the romance and kissing between Io and Bianca/Alicia/Sonia. A foursome. Please make a season 3 when 2 ends
Apr 28, 2017 2:44 PM

Apr 2012
Great episode, I love the battle.

Damn the Gogg looks pretty damn cool now.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Apr 28, 2017 3:04 PM

Apr 2016
Fucking awesome!

I love the chemistry between our two jazz aficionados (Io and Bianca), that jazz session, and that kickass, majestically animated battle. I also like how they made those Zeon thins feel more human, with one of them having lost a 6 month old kid and the other jabbing baseball bobbleheads to remind him of the time he spent with his son before this rebellion. The Atlas Gundam is GOAT Gundam. Thunderbolt is amazing.
Apr 28, 2017 3:20 PM

Jun 2015
It's rare to see amphibious combat. It was awesome. This episode really shows how both sides deal with loss. The music was so good. I like the chemistry with Bianca and Io. Their love of jazz is apparent with the session they played.
Apr 28, 2017 5:41 PM

Nov 2014
Absolutely sensational again!

I wish all Anime and Cartoons could be at this level of animation, pacing & excitement.

Imagine this quality with a Battletech or X-Men cartoon!
Apr 28, 2017 7:21 PM

Oct 2008
Underwater warfare huh! all the mobile suit slaughtering was cool.
Io Flemming got a companion babe Bianca, and looks like they will get along and more intimate for sure in the future!
5/5.

Apr 28, 2017 9:00 PM

Aug 2014
Atlas please, stop trying to undermine Zeon's underwater supremacy.
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 29, 2017 2:40 AM

Jan 2009
Gundam Atlas is cool

Apr 29, 2017 2:56 PM

Jan 2014
Another top notch episode, zero Daryl screentime tho

edit: okay Daryl will be back next month with a happy(??!!) Karla. Can't wait.
You will soon learn that a heart that choose to exist, even in a life filled with pain, will one day allow us to meet again.
With the world's blessings, we will meet again and again, forever returning to the homeworld we've yet to see.
Many, many times.

Apr 29, 2017 8:00 PM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
Please for the love of god can someone make a GIF of the tattoo scene???
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Apr 29, 2017 8:55 PM

Jun 2015
Tracer_Senpai said:
Please for the love of god can someone make a GIF of the tattoo scene???

I found one on reddit: http://68.media.tumblr.com/a45c8f8333830190cec845c047feca78/tumblr_op4oqksj9M1sfyp69o2_400.gif
Apr 30, 2017 4:42 PM

May 2015
That was a perfect ambush that is until the Federation Force new suit arrived to the scene and even with the Gundam in scene the Zion squadron did a pretty good job this is like Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team in the sense that I am not rooting for one side, opposite to other Gundam shows that I tend to root for one side over the other... both sides have good people who are only doing their job as officer of their respecting military faction and both side has scumbags as well scheming for power…

My only gripe is that we have to wat for the next episode ☹
Apr 30, 2017 6:16 PM
Jan 2017
I like the development of the characters but there is no solid plot at this time. I also love the underwater battle and Antarctica makes it a awesome battle ground.

Ok episode but we need more. More deaths to come!
May 2, 2017 6:46 PM

Nov 2008
loved the amphibious combat in this episode, and gotta say the design concepts for the z'goks, gogg, and gabro were pretty interesting from the originals, and of course the ending song was just awesome. looking forward to seeing dayrl back in action in the next episode.

May 5, 2017 3:05 AM
Aug 2014
I'll use these beam sabers as jetpacks
May 9, 2017 5:01 AM

Jan 2011
by the time Gundam Atlas launched, many already dead...

the underwater fight is interesting
May 21, 2017 3:58 AM

Nov 2011
That was great. Loved the underwater battles and it was fairly well animated imo with the chereography.

Io and Bianca had some interesting character chemistry and I felt like they connected both on a personal and professional level. As expected, the music was great in this. I wish they would do more with storytelling but so far, I am quite satisfied with what they've done with the second season.
Jun 4, 2017 3:41 AM

Jun 2011
Maybe I'm misremembering the first season but apart from the visuals I don't really see what I liked about Thunderbolt if it was like season 2.

Too many filler and random scenes (like what was the point of that extended jazz performance scene?) and the music is even worse this time around (it doesn't help that I hate jazz I guess) and the story isn't really going anywhere.
Jun 6, 2017 2:40 AM

Dec 2015
I'm not sure if the callback at 0080's intro was intentional but it was certainly detrimental to this ONA:
- we have to face how much more monstrous the amphibian units grew in a few months (though the Zeon robots were always supposed to look like monsters),
- we're almost forced to think back at those old OVAs and then to compare and realize that they gave us great things beside the intro action while Thunderbolt gives us... mechaction? a few atmospheric moments? more mechaction? and mini-flashbacks to make characters look like they're actually deserving our interest.
- what 's left? Preeeetty animeeeetion. (by the way, are people here praisingthe animation or simply the drawings themselves?)

With the mention of the start of internal movements, my interest was renewed. But there is little about that, even Zeta's forces movements were more important among its waves of futile skirmishes.

2.5+/5 Apart from the overall design/style, nothing bad and nothing good. But no story either.
@CodeBlazeFate Please enlighten me: what's good here? (apart from the popcorn aspect)
edit @CodeBlazeFate OK, most of them deals with humans. Some more with humans than with war itself. "the goons" = the simple soldiers? It was often illustrated in the other shows, either through photographies, a few sentences or a depicted behaviour (I read a lot of people criticizing this before, as if humanising those soldiers was needless though I don't agree with this). I doubt I remember any manless machine (the image you mean, not an actual one) before, it was always shown that there were men (and not monsters) "behind" them.
The bonding despite as quick as in other Gundam stories was indeed a good point, among lots of things. But it is made so little because it is swallowed in all this rust and dust (and snow).
The consequences... well, I am sure it does. Still doesn't tell a story.

Thank you for your answer, now I know I have one more point to remove. ^^"
Zut, I can't or it will fall to the mediocrity of the first ONAs. Well, a 6 is low enough, I suppose.

@MrTea It was the same thing. With a darker tone of colours.
Rei_IIIJun 6, 2017 7:48 AM
Jun 6, 2017 3:58 AM

Apr 2016
Rei366 said:
I'm not sure if the callback at 0080's intro was intentional but it was certainly detrimental to this ONA:
- we have to face how much more monstrous the amphibian units grew in a few months (though the Zeon robots were always supposed to look like monsters),
- we're almost forced to think back at those old OVAs and then to compare and realize that they gave us great things beside the intro action while Thunderbolt gives us... mechaction? a few atmospheric moments? more mechaction? and mini-flashbacks to make characters look like they're actually deserving our interest.
- what 's left? Preeeetty animeeeetion. (by the way, are people here praisingthe animation or simply the drawings themselves?)

With the mention of the start of internal movements, my interest was renewed. But there is little about that, even Zeta's forces movements were more important among its waves of futile skirmishes.

2.5+/5 Apart from the overall design/style, nothing bad and nothing good. But no story either.
@CodeBlazeFate Please enlighten me: what's good here? (apart from the popcorn aspect)

@MrTea It was the same thing. With a darker tone of colours.
It deals actually human. The goons fought aren't just your typical goons you see in any other Gundam anime. These have lives, people they care about, families they regret not being able to save, etc. while we'll never see the goons again, they leave so much more of a lasting impact than say, any goon from 0079, Zeta, Wing, 00, or SEED/Destiny. The guy with all the baseball bobble heads because he and his son move and play baseball, and the man who couldn't save his family, especially his son who wasn't even old enough to be considered a child, aren't just machines without shown pilots (by thatni mean just mobile suits that are just there to be destroyed without the pilots even being shown) or just asshole one-offs unlike literally every single other Gundam anime to date (with exception of Turn A since for most part, even goon pilots are characters that play a somewhat sizable role).

It's damn good to see Io actually bond someone over a hobby like Jazz; two jazz aficionados geeking out over it like any of us would with other friends abor good anime, and then performing Groovy Duel together. The anime didn't have to go that far since it probably could've maybe had gen geeking out about jazz and left it at that, but it want one step beyond. Also, this episode does leave major consequences for the next episode.
CodeBlazeFateJun 6, 2017 8:43 AM
Jun 10, 2017 5:19 AM

Jun 2011
CodeBlazeFate said:

It's damn good to see Io actually bond someone over a hobby like Jazz; two jazz aficionados geeking out over it like any of us would with other friends abor good anime, and then performing Groovy Duel together. The anime didn't have to go that far since it probably could've maybe had gen geeking out about jazz and left it at that, but it want one step beyond. Also, this episode does leave major consequences for the next episode.

A scene should serve a purpose. What was the purpose of the performance scene and why did it go on for so long? At the end of the day all it did was waste time that could've been spent on the story, development of other characters, etc.

To me this whole thing just seems poorly directed with a lacking script. Yeah there's some good stuff in there but it's mixed in with bad or questionable stuff.
Jun 10, 2017 6:08 AM

Apr 2016
MrTea said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

A scene should serve a purpose. What was the purpose of the performance scene and why did it go on for so long? At the end of the day all it did was waste time that could've been spent on the story, development of other characters, etc.

To me this whole thing just seems poorly directed with a lacking script. Yeah there's some good stuff in there but it's mixed in with bad or questionable stuff.
I explained the purpose behind the scene: to establish the jazz thing as part of their relationship and co firm that t is a major aspect of Bianca's personality. Most anime just spout off a character's (or group of characters') hobby as a superfluous detail that hardly comes up again like most characters who we find our are into anime (like Tomoko and her friend from WataMote). Here, we reinforce that as a major aspect of Bianca while giving a chance to see her and Io bond with each other over said hobby. This is going the extra mile. The only other show that I can think of that actually does use a character's (or group of characters') hobby that isn't directly affecting the plot in a way in order to show another side of them in a manner that isn't superfluous and meaningless is How I Met Your Mother when we occasionally see Ted and Marshall engage in a Star Wars movie marathon (which actuakkyinfuienced me to occasionally do the same).

No scene is without purpose here. Every scene either enhances the plot or builds character, and I mean every single one in this anime, as well as the first season, unlike say, most Gundam anime, especially the likes of the Cosmic Era and Anno Domini shows.
Jun 10, 2017 10:23 AM

Jun 2011
CodeBlazeFate said:
I explained the purpose behind the scene: to establish the jazz thing as part of their relationship and co firm that t is a major aspect of Bianca's personality. Most anime just spout off a character's (or group of characters') hobby as a superfluous detail that hardly comes up again like most characters who we find our are into anime (like Tomoko and her friend from WataMote). Here, we reinforce that as a major aspect of Bianca while giving a chance to see her and Io bond with each other over said hobby. This is going the extra mile. The only other show that I can think of that actually does use a character's (or group of characters') hobby that isn't directly affecting the plot in a way in order to show another side of them in a manner that isn't superfluous and meaningless is How I Met Your Mother when we occasionally see Ted and Marshall engage in a Star Wars movie marathon (which actuakkyinfuienced me to occasionally do the same).

No scene is without purpose here. Every scene either enhances the plot or builds character, and I mean every single one in this anime, as well as the first season, unlike say, most Gundam anime, especially the likes of the Cosmic Era and Anno Domini shows.

What you claim the purpose to be was already explained prior. Also the scene did not need to go on for as long as it did, it even kept re-using the same animations and it's not like there were some meaningful lyrics or scene being played during their performance either. It was a wasteful scene that didn't really add anything worthwhile. That time could've been used better.

You're just trying to justify a meaningless and wasteful scene. Even if you consider that scene to be extremely important for some reason, it should be pretty apparent that it went far longer than it needed to.
But that's just one of several scenes I have issues with, so I don't see a reason to linger on it. Thunderbolt as a whole feels like wasted potential to me, especially coming off something far better written and directed like Origins.

But whatever, it's pretty clear that I feel that the quality of Thunderbolt is lacking so there's no point in harping on the problems I have with it. Especially when it's clear we won't see eye to eye anyway.
Nov 20, 2017 3:31 PM

Feb 2013
Bianca x Io, what a match.

That was a nice... um.. rail gun?
Bianca blew it... should have taken the shot as soon as she had one.
Apr 10, 2018 5:38 AM
Jul 2017
Fun. Jazz music was a pain until this episode. Fit good here.
Jun 10, 2019 7:03 AM

Nov 2016
What a great episode, the first one did well at reintroducing characters and the atmosphere,but this one went for more.

I was already sold on the chemistry of Io and Bianca after their duet, the way she saved him at the end was pure win, tho.

War drama and soundtrack are still awesome as ever.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 23, 2022 1:43 PM
Apr 2020
The dynamic nature of Io's fighting style is put on full display while the harsh reality of war kicks in.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 13, 2017

29 by Rowd »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:24 PM

» Season 3?

ProxyLain - Nov 19, 2019

2 by Rowd »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:18 PM

» How many chapters does season 2 go up to?

PinkOni - Jul 17, 2021

4 by momentie »»
Jul 18, 2021 3:53 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion

CodeBlazeFate - May 30, 2017

25 by Eyth »»
Nov 5, 2020 12:31 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2017

25 by laughterjones »»
Apr 10, 2018 5:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.