Forum Settings
Forums

Why Do Some People That Watch Alot of Anime That Dislike the Majority of It Still Continue to Watch Anime?

New
May 28, 2017 1:24 AM

Feb 2016
One thing that really bothers me is when I look at someone's list and they have completed like 300+ shows but have a low mean score and have the majority of their scores be like a 5 and below, with very few a 7 or above.

Whenever I see these people I just want to ask them, Why do you still bother? If you dislike almost all the anime you watch then why do you even still watch anime?

Like I get that some of these people are reviewers and will naturally have seen more shows than the average person and are more knowledgeable, thus, have developed more stricter taste and can analyze and pick out a shows flaws more easily. But if you consume so much content, but are so harsh and critical of it to the point where you hate most of it then why even bother? Wheres the reward or gain from it? Hell, why anime? There are probably more good movies or novels out there than there are anime.

I'am not saying that going out of your way to finish a show you don't like is bad, in fact, I think that doing that is a healthy thing, because you will develop your taste more, let you know what you don't like and like, and will give you a bigger appreciation for better shows. Hell, I do it all the time. But you should also watch just as much good.

SmokeyRedPandaMay 28, 2017 1:52 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 28, 2017 1:33 AM

Jan 2011
Gee, why would someone who uses the full range have 1- 7 make up the majority of their scores? It's not like it's the majority of the options or anything.
May 28, 2017 1:34 AM

May 2015
Inb47isabadscore.

In my case, I won't know if an anime is bad or good until I finish it. I'll never know when I'll find that one anime that just wows me. I watch anime for the experience of watching the anime.
May 28, 2017 1:34 AM

Apr 2014
I've completed 570 anime and I don't think that's a lot by a long shot, and my mean score is 6.17 which I think is pretty high to be honest.
It's all just a matter of perspective. Different people take different factors into how they rate, and the anime they've seen beforehand act as precedents for future shows.
Also, the biggest flaw in the OP is thinking that shows rated 7 and below are "bad". For me, only shows rated 5 or lower or what I'd consider bad, but again, it's all a matter of perspective.
May 28, 2017 1:52 AM

Jul 2016
I only watch things I know that I'll generally like. People with a shitload of dropped shows or low scores are doing it wrong. If you watch things as a hobby, you're supposed to enjoy it. You're not watching it to be a critic.

ReaperCreeper said:
Gee, why would someone who uses the full range have 1- 7 make up the majority of their scores? It's not like it's the majority of the options or anything.

That's completely irrelevant to what the OP is asking. They're asking why someone with a low Mean Score even watches anime.
May 28, 2017 1:54 AM

Jan 2011
IpreferEcchi said:
I only watch things I know that I'll generally like. People with a shitload of dropped shows or low scores are doing it wrong.

ReaperCreeper said:

That's completely irrelevant to what the OP is asking. They're asking why someone with a low Mean Score even watches anime.
Not before he edited it, boobalah..
May 28, 2017 2:01 AM

Feb 2016
Protaku said:
I've completed 570 anime and I don't think that's a lot by a long shot, and my mean score is 6.17 which I think is pretty high to be honest.
It's all just a matter of perspective. Different people take different factors into how they rate, and the anime they've seen beforehand act as precedents for future shows.
Also, the biggest flaw in the OP is thinking that shows rated 7 and below are "bad". For me, only shows rated 5 or lower or what I'd consider bad, but again, it's all a matter of perspective.

I completely oppose the opinion that a 7 is a bad score. To me anything above a 5 means that its good.

Although, I can see why people would think that way from the OP.
May 28, 2017 2:05 AM

Jan 2016
They are masochists? Or maybe their looking for the one perfect show for them?
May 28, 2017 2:20 AM

Apr 2014
A 6 on my list means I enjoyed the anime.
Therefor a 5 isn't all that bad honestly.
A stupid thread deserves a stupid answer!
May 28, 2017 2:31 AM

Nov 2014
Because all the bad shows make the good shows look better, so it's all worth it in the end.

Also you can find interests in things you don't like.
May 28, 2017 2:34 AM

Dec 2013
I watch bad anime knowing full well that what I am watching is bad. I love making fun of bad anime and laughing at it; its enjoyable for me. I also do the same for bad movies too such as Neil Breen's films. Not only that but watching bad shows just makes me appreciate the shows that I like more and I can become more critical in my own writing too and understand what does and does not work for me.
May 28, 2017 2:55 AM

Mar 2017
7 isn't a bad score by any means. 3 is. And I drop without rating anything that dances close to 3. Unless it's a movie which I cannot just drop halfway through.

And besides, every single medium has its steaming pile of mediocrity. No exception.

I could rate a heavy favorite like Kimi no Na Wa with a 6. That doesn't mean I hate what anime has to offer. Even when I dislike several series, that doesn't mean I hate the medium. I believe in what the animated medium can achieve by playing up to its strengths. That's why I watch cartoons. I believe that it can offer narratives that suits it perfectly in ways a live-action or a book can't.

It's a lose-lose situation for MAL when everybody thinks 7 is where the line should be drawn because then everybody would want their favorite anime to be 8+ even when they do not deserve 8+ as much as other titles.
EankiMay 28, 2017 3:02 AM
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
May 28, 2017 2:57 AM

Jun 2014
Because we love watching anime and can enjoy bad anime.
May 28, 2017 2:59 AM

Dec 2015
IpreferEcchi said:
I only watch things I know that I'll generally like. People with a shitload of dropped shows or low scores are doing it wrong. If you watch things as a hobby, you're supposed to enjoy it. You're not watching it to be a critic.

You can still be critical about your hobby. And a lot of people get enjoyment out of analysing and compartmentalising the things they like and don't like about what they are watching. Just because critiquing things isn't fun for you doesn't mean it isn't fun for other people.
May 28, 2017 2:59 AM

Jul 2015
Why do you still bother?
i didnt lost hope yet , im still waiting for good anime to come

If you dislike almost all the anime you watch then why do you even still watch anime?
others mediums are even worse than anime (except video games)
May 28, 2017 3:02 AM

Feb 2013
BlackAkemi said:
One thing that really bothers me is when I look at someone's list and they have completed like 300+ shows but have a low mean score and have the majority of their scores be like a 5 and below, with very few a 7 or above.

Whenever I see these people I just want to ask them, Why do you still bother? If you dislike almost all the anime you watch then why do you even still watch anime?
welllllll the answer to the thread title can be easier found if you actually asked them, instead of having guesses from the choir

BlackAkemi said:
There are probably more good movies or novels out there than there are anime.
no colorful hair loli, no deal
May 28, 2017 3:03 AM

Nov 2014
I t catch my atention when you said that many of them are fans and not critics, because some of them call themselves critics, despite no one pays them for it.

I knew some of the people you describe and i even was once friend with some of them. Now i get rid of them, and i can tell you they got a big self-entitlement.
May 28, 2017 3:04 AM

Jul 2016
Bobby2Hands said:
IpreferEcchi said:

You can still be critical about your hobby. And a lot of people get enjoyment out of analysing and compartmentalising the things they like and don't like about what they are watching. Just because critiquing things isn't fun for you doesn't mean it isn't fun for other people.

I post in every episode discussion now. If something was off, I say so, but I don't understand people who think they have to be 2deep4u in their posts. Those brain waves would be better spent absorbing Japanese gradually from what they're watching than throwing a huge tantrum.
May 28, 2017 3:05 AM

Jun 2014
I will say it again.

This is myanimelist. We can watch and rate how we please and nobody has a right to tell us to stop or suggest we are watching wrong.
May 28, 2017 3:06 AM

Jul 2014
Completionism and boredom. You watch anime because you can't think of anything better. I speak from experience.

I switched to old series to revive my interest, then to animated shorts, and then I switched to manga. I enjoyed many series and manga, but I was more and more bored and detached from what I was watching and I realized it was not worth it. I watched most of the "must see" series so now I switched to movies, and it's much more engaging than watching anime.

I don't regret waching anime, some of them were really interesting and captivating, especially the older ones, but the 99% of the 2010s anime and most of the 2000s anime were a complete waste of time. And I would like to have that time back.
May 28, 2017 3:06 AM

Jul 2015
Score 7 is already good in my opinion, even my mean score, 6.90 is still high for me.
Well, majority use 7 as average score, and below that is considered "bad". That's why MAL anime score are high af.

But in the end,
Protaku said:
it's all a matter of perspective.
May 28, 2017 3:07 AM

Dec 2015
Because they know how to critique an anime and fully use rating systems.
May 28, 2017 3:09 AM
May 2017
I think that may be because different people have different preferences. A anime that is a good to one may not be good to another.
May 28, 2017 3:15 AM
Jun 2015
Do you think most books are good or most movies? There are at least twenty thousand anime. There are way more books and movies than anime and the vast majority of them are bad. People are not going out of their way to watch bad anime its that over 90% are bad and that is probably a gross underestimation. When people are judging the "bad" titles those are the best of the bad titles.
May 28, 2017 3:16 AM
May 2017
I know I like all the stuff I see. But 7 is good right?
Like, a solid "good"?

Then there is 6 which is fine. As in like, "huh, It was ok"
Right ? ^^

>.<
May 28, 2017 3:16 AM

Mar 2017
Just an add on though OP.

Any monkey can use the full rating scale. It takes actual brain cells however to have a thorough discussion. So them having so many scores below 5 can still mean squat diddly.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
May 28, 2017 3:18 AM

Jul 2016
Aria-da-Capo said:
Completionism and boredom. You watch anime because you can't think of anything better.

I'm not watching things for the sake of watching things. I'm not a numbers whore that needs hundreds and hundreds of shows on my list. I watch things of the substance that appeals to me.

I'm a numbers whore for number of users who know of me, though.
May 28, 2017 3:19 AM
Jul 2018
So you can ask them this stupid question

Perhaps ask them why do they do it.

Also some people use 3 as an average just so you know.
May 28, 2017 3:26 AM

Mar 2016
There're people that don't rate anime by enjoyment you know
And there are the masochists who like the pain from enduring terrible anime
May 28, 2017 3:29 AM

Apr 2017
I mean I like most animes I've watched but I don't rate for that exact reason,I can apprecciate that people feel strongly about what they do and don't like and actually put some thought into rating.

And really the majority of any medium is trash just that's just how every industry works. Reminds me of this: "Stalin asked one of his cabinet ministers 'How many films does the USSR produce a year?' '200' the minister replied, 'And how many of those are masterpieces?' '1 or 2' 'Than why not just make those two?"

"That's my precious
image of happiness..."

- I have no clue... -
May 28, 2017 3:31 AM

Jul 2016
And the type of analysis that I like is statistical and trivial. Not how to improve something, but rather, "I know the inspiration for this thing!" or "This is the frequency this type of content appears in this."

I like analysis that helps people find what they're looking for and similarities between characters fascinates me.
May 28, 2017 4:07 AM

Nov 2011
Wow, it makes so much more sense to assume that this person hates anime than it does to assume that their scores don't mean the same thing as your scores do, OP.

Somebody give this guy a medal for his outstanding logic.
May 28, 2017 4:15 AM

May 2015
Why does it bother you? Can't people watch and rate what they want? If you were actually interested you'd ask them not make a public rant on AD.

If it bothers you then why don't you stop looking at others people lists?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 28, 2017 4:22 AM

Nov 2015
Maybe to see if the anime can make up for its shitty start at the end of the anime?
I do that sometimes, only to realize that i make a fuckin huge ass mistake most of the time
~Yume's Ass and Shihiro's Boobs are gifts from God for us foolish Mortals~

May 28, 2017 4:24 AM

Oct 2016
so i can be the cool kids at school who hates SAO,
watcihng bad anime is fun too you know, its like test of courage.
May 28, 2017 4:35 AM

Jan 2016
You shouldn't have even bothered. You're getting a ton of bullshit.
May 28, 2017 4:36 AM

Dec 2016
I think it's very personal how you rate anime.

Even though I would have to question people giving a show a 1 if it really doesn't deserve that rating, seems like a troll rating.
May 28, 2017 4:37 AM

Nov 2016
Wouldn't it be better to not give a fuck about what other people do instead of making assumptions that someone hates anime, just because he's using the entire scale ? My mean score isn't really low, but I can say that I enjoyed most of my fives and even some aspects of shows which I rated with a four or three.

I like to differentiate between the shows which I really liked and others that just werent as good.

A 5 doesn't mean the show is good or bad, it means that show is rather average compared to my favorites.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 28, 2017 4:50 AM

Oct 2014
Because there's always a chance you'll find something good to watch amongst all the shit.

Also anime has a good balance between books which generally require a lot of dedication to read through and movies which you will finish in 2 hours.
May 28, 2017 4:53 AM
Dec 2015
It's because the entire fan base is filled with nothing but babies!
May 28, 2017 9:24 AM

Oct 2014
It's actually not that people who have seen a lot hate what they watch, it's just that if you try to rate 1000+ anime with a 7-10 scale you simply can't be accurate enough. You have to rate lower if you've seen a lot or else you'll end up with 100+ anime rated 10 which isn't helping anyone.

Another thing is that talking about anime with other people, writing reviews, and even just adding them to the list or possibly making more lists with more specific restrictions (top ten lists) may bring enough enjoyment that those people are willing to watch things that didn't bring them the most enjoyment by themselves.
May 28, 2017 9:30 AM

Apr 2017
i think i usually judge at the end of anime but when the series is really getting useless and boring that's an instant drop tho

the question makes sense i think it's because most people would like to see if the rest of the episodes could change their mind. there will always be a series that starts boring but gets interesting as it goes

still life: pink roses
May 28, 2017 9:30 AM

Jul 2014
maybe they liek certain aspects of the anime and not as a whole in general.....?
May 28, 2017 9:48 AM

Apr 2016
Actually, 5 isn't that bad a score. Even I have completed 300+ anime but I still have a mean score of 8.00. Why ? Because I can't really analyze and critique anything. My scores are based mostly on enjoyment taking into consideration the animation, art style, voice acting, soundtrack, etc. But I still base my scores on my enjoyment. I watch bad shows because I've got some time to waste.

People who score their anime lower than you, me or anyone may have a different scoring system. Those scoring systems go way over my head though -_- Their5 or 6 may be your 9 or something like that.

So, just because someone scores anime low doesn't mean that they don't enjoy it. They probably enjoy it more than you (something I learned a few days ago).
May 28, 2017 9:54 AM

Feb 2015
5 means Average by MAL standarts. 7 means Good.
I don't see anything bad with this. Not everyone will rate every single show they completed 8-10.

Why did you write wall of text because of someone you don't even know rates anime lower than you do? Why do you care?
May 28, 2017 9:55 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Watching anime is serious buisness and you can't quit like that
May 28, 2017 9:55 AM

Oct 2015
short answer: because they want to
long answer: because they do whatever they want to do and it's none of your business why they do it so you being bothered by such a silly thing is beyond ridiculous
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
May 28, 2017 10:01 AM

May 2015
Because they are passionate about the medium and like watching anime. That's why they keep watching. The reason their mean score may be lower then yours may be for a variety of reasons. Different scoring system, they purposefully try to be critical of shows, maybe they don't even use some of the top end scores, maybe they just use 1-5 as a 1-5 scale.

On the topic of mean scores, IMO any mean score in the 6.0 range is pretty much the ideal mean score for anyone who actively watches and likes anime that also uses the scoring system in a similar way to me. It shows that you think anime is above average and overall enjoy it but there's also plenty of shows that you have an actual dislike for and acknowledge as garbage. You're not a tryhard pretentious type elitist who gives everything low scores on purpose to look smart, nor are you some casual fan who literally does not think about differentiating their scores and just gives everything that they like high scores.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
May 28, 2017 10:02 AM

Jul 2016
The good out way the bad for me and anything below a four is bad. My average score is six so I'd say I's like anime. Lot's of others have scores near five too. They just have watch some bad anime before.
May 28, 2017 10:07 AM

May 2017
My problem is the opposite of that XD i like every anime i watch but when i am looking for a new anime to watch i am scary about choose an anime who i dislike
thealphaCromeMay 28, 2017 10:15 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

42 by Maou_heika »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 8 hours ago

35 by Nemo_Niemand »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

31 by Maou_heika »»
5 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - 1 hour ago

11 by weebtoge »»
14 minutes ago

» Ruined after Serial Experiments Lain [Spoilers]

zaitec - May 6, 2017

15 by TheMechaManiac »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.