Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Dec 7, 2013 11:38 PM

Sep 2013
flaxman85 said:
another little girl + heavy machinery themed feminist-driven anime...

another anime i have to endure 3 EP before dropping... sih

Huh? What? That makes not one tiny bit of sense.

Of course you haven't watched it, but "feminist"??? Not at all. Not even close. Except in that positive way in which girls can actually DO things without boys around to "help them" every five seconds. Or rescue them constantly.

I consider that a plus... huge plus.

The girls in the "automotive club" (team Leopon, in the Porsche Tiger!) are my favorites! Kawaii!
Dec 14, 2013 2:16 AM
Feb 2012
zenjamibu said:
I really wish people wouldn't judge this anime based on the first episode alone. This is a series and not a movie. It needs to establish first before it gets going. If after watching the whole series and you still don't like it, that's fine.

Seems like a silly statement in a thread named "Girls und Panzer Episode 1 Discussion", impressions are impression.

Even with the extremely pro-bullying message of the first episode I do plan to watch atleast a few more episodes. I defintely was put off from finishing it for awhile but I definitely will.

If you wish to discuss final evaluations of the series, I suggest you go to final episode thread :/
Dec 14, 2013 4:16 AM

May 2012
^Call it silly but I think there's nothing wrong with what I said.

Oh about the pro-bullying thing, I don't think Hana and Saori pressured Miho in joining Tankery. They let her think it over but when Miho still didn't want to they respected her decision and joined her in her chosen elective and in fact defended her against the student council. There's a reason for all of this but I don't want to give spoilers. You just have to check it out. Whether you'll like the reason or not is up to you.
zenjamibuDec 14, 2013 7:27 AM
Jan 31, 2014 10:44 PM

Jan 2013
This first episode bored me to a degree few others things on his planet are capable of matching.

But I'll give it a few more episodes.

If things don't improve, I'm dropping this.
Salmon is delicious.
Feb 1, 2014 9:08 AM

Jun 2012
zenjamibu said:
^Call it silly but I think there's nothing wrong with what I said.

There's nothing inherently "wrong" with it, but it is silly. If you don't get a good first impression from the first episode, you're not going to be particularly excited to see the next episode.

I didn't enjoy this first episode, but I continued watching until the end, and it seemed to get a bit better as it went on. I don't think I enjoyed it as much as many other people did, but it was definitely watchable.

It's the anime's responsibility to give out good first impressions, not your responsibility. First episodes are generally supposed to set the mood and give you a good idea of what you're in for if you decide to watch it to completion.

Now, if someone straight out drops the anime after watching only the first episode, then that's a bit silly. Dropping your rating by a few points due to a rough start makes sense, but there's a good chance you'll pass up a diamond in the rough if you give up after the very first episode. There is the exception that someone may realize after watching the first episode that the anime does not match their tastes, and drops it simply based on taste alone, but if so then they should not rate the anime.
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Feb 28, 2014 4:50 PM

Jan 2013
They all looks so funny i mean womans in a tank xD
And wow that whole city is a giant boat :D
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Mar 8, 2014 2:49 AM

Apr 2012
Why is there so much hate on the show? I think you guys just didn't get the joke. I was laughing non-stop throughout the whole episode. The writers like to just keep it straight and don't bother explaining, that girls on a huge-ass ship doing tank battles is utterly absurd.
I mean, look at all the lampshading. They know exactly what they're doing and it's hilarious.
Mar 12, 2014 3:39 PM

Jan 2011
Their formation is wunderbar and I spilled tea everywhere, hats of to whoever made the subtitles.
LJohnMar 12, 2014 3:44 PM
May 8, 2014 11:16 AM
Aug 2008
So I picked this up after having looked at its page on TV Tropes, and despite the fact that I don't have much interest in tanks, I find the juxtaposition of cute teenage girls and military machines intriguing.

Miho's English language VA makes me think of Eiko in Squid Girl.

I love that name: Sneaky Sneaks.

Wow, impressive memory. So no matter who tried to befriend her, she'd know on sight, I guess.

Prez reminds me of Miu from Ichigo Mashimaro, in like three distinct ways.

Hey, I wonder if we'll be introduced to the "random" girls they focus on later...

Heh. Tankery gets this drawn-out introduction, and everything else... meh, they can see it on this shot of the form. Which, by the way, has Tankery taking up as much space as the rest combined.

I like that they say guys and tanks are "mismatched", considering the "soul names" the members of one team chose...

Hmm. Her saying that makes me wonder what Little Army is going to be like. Guess I'll find out in late December!

"They've got personality, wouldn't you say?"
"I think the word you're looking for is 'rust'."
XD

Now see, this is why they deferred the OP to the end. The big reveal: The whole city's on a massive ship. (Presumably, there's a whole lot of ship we don't see down below the water. Of course, this limits where it can travel, but I guess they figure they don't need to go to those places.
"Say, Tsukasa, how do you eat a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup?"
Jun 10, 2014 2:13 PM

Feb 2008
This is a strange series.

I wonder if she'll be facing off against her sister at some point? Also wondering if she'll be the defacto president of the club.

I can't help but think that she shouldn't have joined and that her friends shouldn't have asked her to. Also think that trying to force someone with a phobia to confront said phobia for your own selfish interest is extremely wrong and basis for impeachment (of the student council president). Sad thing is, she can't even transfer to get away from it since it sounds like all schools are required to have it now.

Oh well, I doubt this is a particularly deep series, so it'll all work out somehow. Probably with the power of love and friendship.
Jul 16, 2014 10:53 AM

Sep 2013
What's funny is that that tank looks much better than the anti-camo glossed scraps the others have.
Jul 23, 2014 12:46 PM

Jul 2013
Woot.. I tried to watch this since I was looking for something like Sabagebu (no, not that lame C3) and how wrong I was.

It was quite amusing though.. there were a lot of WTF moments like:
- The pink tank (cute tho)
- TANK-wando, I thought it was pronounced TAN-Kwan-Do and I thought what the hell has to do with tanks? lol
- Tankwando is apparently the ultimate show of femininity instead of say, flower arranging lol..

Well, it's enough to keep me interested.
Aug 4, 2014 3:56 PM

Apr 2009
First impressions, eh? I don't recal ever watching anything remotely as bizzare and absurd as this 'thing'. And while i spent entire episode being completely confused and shocked, i couldn't say i enjoyed it. I'm into anything related to WW2 and that's why i picked this anime, but it seems that little cute schoolgirls and tanks doesn't mix-up for me very well. And the fact that every single character in this show is a schoolgirl doesn't helps too. Finally, didn't liked drawing and looks of characters, so there's practically nothing in this show that appeals to me except tanks. Do i wanna waste any more time on it? Nah. But if there's to be any redeeming point there, is that from now i'm gonna at least read synopses before adding any new anime to my 'plan to watch' list. As for score, i give it a 1!
Aug 19, 2014 3:09 PM

Jun 2014
Looks like I'm going to enjoy this anime.
Nov 17, 2014 7:04 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Taken by the wave of reviewing old anime series, after F/Z I am also resume GaruPan!
That's right, reconsider their judgments after a thorough understanding of an anime series, makes you discover things that can scapparti during the first run of a new anime.
I realize that while not the best scenes in the drawings, however, the environment is reproduced satisfactorily, considering that started as a television series almost unknown.
Drawings of the characters not lofty and Character Design is not just the most beautiful, but I noticed that it is quite original. Plot that moe approaches to a new genre, is that from the feeling of being insane enough, in his treatment. An example it has suffered in the dialogues of this first episode. While not shining even the CG, but the realization of the tanks is almost excellent.
Animations more than enough. Characters really nice, but not limited to (well, that you will discover going forward! LOL).
Narrative that is not immediately the best, but it is only an appearance.
Soundtrack and ending very cute and catchy.
Aug 17, 2015 1:38 PM

Dec 2012
That opening scene, man what a ride! The first person perspective made for a really engaging hook and it pulled me in effortlessly. This whole thing is completely bizarre, tankwondo sounds like some Willy Wonka chocolate invention. The meeting in the gym was a hoot, they pulled off some text book recruiting and glorified tanks propaganda style.

The interaction between the 3 main girls felt a bit dry and made this episode drag, but otherwise this looks like it'll right up my alley.
Oct 11, 2015 12:24 PM

Jul 2014
Nothing special, just the same generic moe nonsense as 90% of all anime that came out in the last 5 years.

Also, I love how obvious the CGI is with the tanks.
D-ohnutsJun 12, 2019 7:04 AM
Dec 11, 2015 11:46 AM

Sep 2014
The whole city is built on a giant carrier? Dafuq?
Mar 31, 2016 3:21 PM

Sep 2013
Despite the CGI I liked the opening scene, even though it did make me a bit dizzy. It felt like it went downhill from there though. I don't like the girl with the lighter/auburn hair, and the whole thing about how operating tanks will make them better women who are more appealing to men pissed me off. Hope it'll get better because I want to enjoy this, but as of right now this isn't living up to my expectations.
Jul 17, 2016 7:08 AM

Feb 2016
I really don't know what to say..... Many things to highlight...

Surprisingly good for me....
Aug 9, 2016 6:41 PM

May 2014
I'm sure it'll be a fun show based on the first ep. I don't watch shows like these for serious plot or unique characters. I just want to see something light/goofy after work ^_^. I think I've grown a bigger appreciation for silly comedic shows after I started working 60 hours a week haha
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Nov 23, 2016 10:51 PM

Dec 2013
Those CGI tanks at the beginning looked horrible!

Really weird beginning. Apparently fighting with tanks is cool? Wtf?
Feb 8, 2017 12:43 PM

Feb 2015
What a shit school to bully a student into doing something she doesn't want to. Dropped.
May 23, 2017 10:10 AM

Apr 2008
Holy shit, the whole episode was uncomfortably dystopian, with absurd jingoistic propaganda, which I hope we shouldn't take at face value. I'm going in with the 3 episode rule in mind but if it doesn't improve by then, I'm going to drop this without hesitation.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Oct 10, 2017 11:26 AM

Aug 2014
as much as i like the series this first episode really annoys me as it feels so damn forced..

ignoring the obvious council forcing her those first two friends just show up out of nowhere as if scripted and mihos actions feel weird as if she were some wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man..

i almost wish those first two friends did just leave her alone to do the tank stuff and then miho left the school and the show continues to follow her..
Dec 18, 2017 4:30 AM

Sep 2012
if i would have been her i would have just said i quit this school & go somewhere else if u abuse ur power that way!!!

Milennin said:
What a shit school to bully a student into doing something she doesn't want to. Dropped.
gomennasai said:
Holy shit, the whole episode was uncomfortably dystopian, with absurd jingoistic propaganda, which I hope we shouldn't take at face value. I'm going in with the 3 episode rule in mind but if it doesn't improve by then, I'm going to drop this without hesitation.

ur loss & u wont find out why she didn't want to do it, series gets good later
Dec 18, 2017 10:57 AM

Apr 2008
@Sugram22

Good job replying to a post I've made, like, months ago. In the end I quite liked it, I've just found the first episode weird.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Dec 18, 2017 12:23 PM

Sep 2012
gomennasai said:
@Sugram22

Good job replying to a post I've made, like, months ago. In the end I quite liked it, I've just found the first episode weird.

well i have even Quote even older post sometimes if i feel like it i think the oldest has been 2008 :)
Dec 23, 2017 11:47 PM

Sep 2013
Not bad. I'm not totally into it yet, but I think it might grow on me.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Feb 7, 2018 4:38 PM

Jun 2013
So I watched this sorta on a spur of the moment because I saw a video of anime girls in tanks singing in Russian. I shall see where this goes. And why are they on a boat?! I hope that gets answered.
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Feb 18, 2018 2:06 PM

Feb 2012
Miho went SEED mode

That chronic disease joke haha

Did they actually invoke Godwin's law with the student council or is that also a subbers' joke?

I wonder why Miho has PTSD
Fortress_MaximusFeb 20, 2018 6:19 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Aug 20, 2019 9:39 AM

Dec 2012
Ah, how glorious to see the Fashy Loli Propaganda--I mean...wonderful, patriotic moe on full display! Hail our loli overlords!
Nov 10, 2019 6:19 AM

Sep 2018
The beginning of the episode immediately catapults the viewer into the action, to then return to the "right track" and make it clear what is happening, it is not bad this choice made in the script. Great acceleration on the characterization of the main characters and not, the ending seems to be that of a film. The oddities of this anime are two: the combination of tanks with girls and the place where the story began and perhaps takes place, or on an aircraft carrier, caspity that absurd twist. The part about the video of "the art of the tank" is really funny in some ways.
Apr 30, 2020 2:39 PM
Apr 2020
I died when the Panzer III turned & I saw an French infantry support tank. I died again when I saw the pink tank. When the camera got to the US tank, bright yellow tank, & the Panzer Stug III with a bunch of flags I wasn’t even surprised. I died again when I saw the tank academy on top of a supersized IJN Kaga. My knowledge of WW2 just made we watching this feel like torture.
May 4, 2020 9:41 AM

Sep 2017
This is just so weird. Extreme moe and tanks? Yeah okay I guess. Also wtf was the ending where they are all living on an absolutely massive carrier ship??
Sep 6, 2020 9:17 AM

Mar 2020
the opening scene was pretty bad but the character introduction okay, plot? pretty bad. I guess I will drop this one
“Life is a constant process of dying.”
Nov 1, 2020 9:54 AM

May 2018
Now imagine if that carrier sank lololol
Apr 29, 2021 6:35 AM

Mar 2016
Looks really cool so far! I think I'm gonna like this anime :D

Jun 1, 2021 4:22 AM

Feb 2020
Cool tanks, cute girls and great animation.

A promising start.

SerafosJun 1, 2021 6:29 AM
Nov 1, 2021 8:10 AM
Aug 2017
Ugh, can't think of a much worse first episode than that. Timid girl gets bullied into doing the one thing she's absolutely trying to avoid. And given that thing is the whole subject of the show, we're clearly going to be lead to accept that this was a good thing. Getting Hanebado flashbacks already. Then throw in some truly atrocious CGI for good measure - I seriously can't believe that ship scene at the end got approved for release.

I'll probably get used to the CGI so I guess I'll just try and pretend I never saw this episode and that the MC actually wanted to play tank-fu or whatever from the start.
Dec 30, 2021 9:35 AM

Jun 2016
A neat start to this show with the forced perspective from the tank. The cgi wasn't so bad. Might take a bit to get used to.

The majority of this episode was just building the foundation of the friendship between Miho, Saori and Hana, which happened way too fast. Tbh, with a plethora of characters around, I don't expect that much character development at all.

What do you mean you don't have people that are good/knowledgable in Tankery? What is the point in restarting the classes again then, lol.

When the camera pulled out at the end to show that they were on a vessel, my first thought was "okay. Thinking about it now, I hope an explanation for this is given.

Mar 5, 2022 4:33 AM
May 2021
Oh man this is one of the most hilarious anime I have ever seen little girls are controlling tanks.
Sep 9, 2022 1:54 PM

Aug 2019
It seems like the masculine & feminine roles are reversed in this anime. That’s pretty funny
Sep 12, 2022 3:15 PM
Oct 2021
A good introduction into the anime, coming from someone who barely knows shit about tanks. Main character appears to be quite shy, but I don’t particularly mind it too much.
Oct 20, 2022 4:45 PM
Apr 2019
Not sure how someone can watch this episode and not be put off by the way the main characters borderline PTSD is treated, not just by the characters but seemingly the story itself. The music swelling triumphantly when Miho gets harassed and emotionally pressured by five people to do the thing she finds to be traumatic, the exact thing she came to this school to avoid, is tone-deaf at best and fucking vile at worst. Glad I dropped this when I first saw it, there are much better “cute girls doing cute girls” type anime out there that aren’t morally bankrupt.
Nov 27, 2022 5:33 PM

Jan 2021
Very disappointed the MC caved in to the bullies' pressure.
Shrimp_TailNov 27, 2022 10:20 PM
Jan 2, 2023 10:28 AM
Jan 2015
fine i guess, not what i was looking for when i started watching
Feb 9, 2023 10:58 AM

Nov 2022
I was advised this anime, because I like tanks, but it disappointed me. Good opening and graphics, but boring episode. The characters don't make any impression. And how can you beat Matilda on Type 89? 2/5
Mar 24, 2023 5:20 AM

Aug 2019
the couple reviews i read said that serious story telling is this show's weakness and yeah. miho gave in way too easily. the art is very good looking all characters look cute. the cgi while looks okay, the fps is awful to look at but according to the reviews i read this should get better as the show progresses

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2023 7:52 PM
Feb 2016
Me gusto el inicio

Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

symbv - Oct 29, 2012

243 by Abeke »»
Mar 14, 7:00 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

symbv - Mar 18, 2013

167 by giannis85 »»
Jan 21, 12:49 PM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2012

191 by giannis85 »»
Jan 18, 4:53 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2012

191 by yakisobaman »»
Jan 17, 8:45 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

symbv - Dec 10, 2012

320 by giannis85 »»
Jan 4, 10:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.