Forum Settings
Forums

Why are there rants posted as "reviews" still up?

New
May 18, 2017 8:36 PM

Mar 2017
I've seen a lot of rants on several anime, be it a story based one or a simple slice of life. Some of these even having lots of "helpful" votes.
Aren't rants against the rules for reviews? Cause a review isn't just saying "this series is shit, don't watch it", obviously.

Somehow though, there are still a lot of rants that are still up. Most of them don't even really give much detail of why a series is "objectively" bad. (story inconsistencies, bad characters, etc.)
What are your thoughts on this?

I personally think it's pretty stupid since most if not all of these rants provide no helpful info on a series and are quite biased.
╠╬╣ 일 » 이 » 삼 » 사 ╠╬╣

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 18, 2017 8:40 PM

Jun 2014
TroverTa said:
I've seen a lot of rants on several anime, be it a story based one or a simple slice of life. Some of these even having lots of "helpful" votes.
Aren't rants against the rules for reviews? Cause a review isn't just saying "this series is shit, don't watch it", obviously.

Somehow though, there are still a lot of rants that are still up. Most of them don't even really give much detail of why a series is "objectively" bad. (story inconsistencies, bad characters, etc.)
MAL reviews are typically really lackluster. Remember, MAL users aren't professional critics and can't write like one. There is a reason the average MAL user is 14-24 years old and most of those bad reviews are likely written by people of that age. Hence, inexperienced.
May 18, 2017 8:50 PM

Apr 2017
However, Due to their personal review, Mostly who get all the helpful ones are well-written and they know how to done it right. Neither that counts. Also It piques to them that they truly have some motives due to their highest standard expectation

Precisely, Take an advantage to those who dropped it then make a spamming review bait in the section

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
May 18, 2017 8:53 PM

Apr 2015
MAL will only take down reviews if they're blatant trollbait/spam or violate the number of episodes watched rule.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
May 18, 2017 9:35 PM
Feb 2014
Free Rides Inc. reporting, it's because the people behind them haven't been thrown out of our helicopters yet. Don't worry though, we are working on it!
May 18, 2017 9:44 PM
Jul 2018
I am okay with those ranty reviews, do not like them personally but I guess they have a right to exist.

Besides MAL review system is already very picky and restricts creative freedom when it comes to reviews. I do believe we need more humorous reviews, the MAL rules make it sounds like a review has to be a snobby boring piece of pseudo intelectal crap.
May 18, 2017 9:48 PM

Sep 2014
REMEMBER reviews are someone's opinions on a show. They can rant all along about it because it is their opinion it wouldn't be a review and more of a summary if the writer's opinion wasn't included.
May 18, 2017 9:51 PM

Oct 2016
if u can actually find a reviewer, review it low and give it a proper critique instead of ranting why he/she hated it, treasure it.
May 18, 2017 11:19 PM

Feb 2013
wellllll have you tried reporting them ?
May 18, 2017 11:30 PM

Aug 2016
Ranting while giving a review is pretty normal i think

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 19, 2017 12:14 AM

Mar 2017
BakaKuro said:
REMEMBER reviews are someone's opinions on a show. They can rant all along about it because it is their opinion it wouldn't be a review and more of a summary if the writer's opinion wasn't included.

it's still not helpful.
reviews on anime and reviews in general are supposed to first give a reason why you should and shouldn't watch something, good logical reasons why, and then opinions later.
╠╬╣ 일 » 이 » 삼 » 사 ╠╬╣

May 19, 2017 12:47 AM

Oct 2015
so many reviews need to be removed, but from what i heard, their team is small and they lack time and resources.
that said, there are an awful lot of old reviews that aren't even reviews, they're more like "this show is stupid/i didn't like it/it's ugly" etc with a 1-3 rating and tons of upvotes that simply shouldn't belong there. but sadly, nobody manages that.
not to mention the amount of inaccurate or incomplete recommendations as well.

also, for those saying a review should include ranting, the guidelines state that rants are not permitted. that's why op made this post.
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
May 19, 2017 12:59 AM

Nov 2011
Veronin, Skadi, and Archaeon.

That's roughly the extent of worthwhile reviews you'll find on MAL. If your taste isn't somewhat aligned with any of theirs then you're probably better off looking elsewhere.
May 19, 2017 1:05 AM

May 2015
I suggest you use examples and define what is a 'rant' in contrast to a 'review' so we'll understand you better.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 19, 2017 1:08 AM

Jan 2016
I reported some recommendations and reviews with insults to the fanbase of a show and they have been removed.
May 19, 2017 3:15 AM

Dec 2015
Someone saying "fuck this series" over and over is not a review, someone saying "fuck this series, because..." is a review, a negative one, but as much of a review as any other review.
May 19, 2017 3:17 AM

Apr 2014
If someone didn't like a show they're entitled to say they didn't, as long as it just doesn't devolve into blatant bashing.
May 19, 2017 5:54 AM

Feb 2015
Come on OP, you really don't need to be triggered about it. Mods will review them I think, and if a violation of the rule has been found, it will be deleted.

It all comes to who reports it or who doesn't. Seems like you just like to rant about it and do nothing, thus will change nothing... :/
May 19, 2017 2:21 PM

Mar 2017
_Ako_ said:
Come on OP, you really don't need to be triggered about it. Mods will review them I think, and if a violation of the rule has been found, it will be deleted.

It all comes to who reports it or who doesn't. Seems like you just like to rant about it and do nothing, thus will change nothing... :/

what can I do other than report it? wait, nothing. which is why when i see one i will report it
╠╬╣ 일 » 이 » 삼 » 사 ╠╬╣

May 19, 2017 2:26 PM

Jan 2013
I know it's probably an exposure thing if anything, but I'm honestly surprised people utilize reviews to as great of an extent as MAL threads would like me to believe. Makes me glad I destroyed my prejudices with anime and decided to watch most airing shows regardless of differentiating opinion. Reading some reviews and then considering that someone could actually take them seriously is a scary thought.
May 19, 2017 3:22 PM

Feb 2015
TroverTa said:
_Ako_ said:

what can I do other than report it? wait, nothing. which is why when i see one i will report it

Ehhh.... What else can you do other than report it?

Be a mod... :/
May 19, 2017 7:16 PM

Mar 2017
_Ako_ said:
TroverTa said:

cause everyone is good enough to be a mod
smh dude
╠╬╣ 일 » 이 » 삼 » 사 ╠╬╣

May 19, 2017 7:17 PM

Jul 2014
Aren't all reviews biased? Might well bring back the not helpful button...
May 19, 2017 7:31 PM

Feb 2015
TroverTa said:
_Ako_ said:

smh dude

Ehh... If you really think that everyone can be a mod, then good luck... :/

OppaiSugoi said:

Yes, all reviews are biased, but that doesn't mean that the proof and insights presented in their reviews are biased, or the proof can be linear... :/
May 19, 2017 7:33 PM

Oct 2014
why can we not have objective reviews back?
those reviews theat can show the unbiased and undeniable truth about a show are hard to find
May 19, 2017 7:42 PM

Aug 2015
I'd rather read 5 crappy short reviews than 1 proper one. the good reviews are usually 1000+ words and goes into way too much detail for my liking.
May 20, 2017 1:49 AM

May 2015
Lord_Lamington said:
I'd rather read 5 crappy short reviews than 1 proper one. the good reviews are usually 1000+ words and goes into way too much detail for my liking.

What's wrong with that? 1000 words isn't too much for a review.
May 20, 2017 2:07 AM

Aug 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
Lord_Lamington said:

not so much the word count, but how long reviews are written.

Lets take the top steins gate review for example. The first 2 paragraphs just talk about time travel (just under 200 words). which is then followed up by a synopsis of the series. 300 words in and nothing about reviewing the anime yet. Its then just goes into way too much detail, which in my opinion, is completely unnecessary. takes 1448 words to write the rest of the review. I reccomend reading it to get an idea of what i mean by going into too much detail.

On the other hand though, the second most helpful one is straight to the point. 828 words, heading for each of the paragraphs and nice, simple and easy to read.
May 20, 2017 2:22 AM

Feb 2013
Sjo said:
so many reviews need to be removed, but from what i heard, their team is small and they lack time and resources.
that said, there are an awful lot of old reviews that aren't even reviews, they're more like "this show is stupid/i didn't like it/it's ugly" etc with a 1-3 rating and tons of upvotes that simply shouldn't belong there. but sadly, nobody manages that.

also, for those saying a review should include ranting, the guidelines state that rants are not permitted. that's why op made this post.
i'll ask you the same i asked the op: have you tried reporting them?
i think the moderators act more on reports than actively looking for stuff to delete
May 20, 2017 2:24 AM

Oct 2014
It's freedom of speech. Rants do count as reviews and if a long winded yet completely subjective complaint about an anime is useful to someone to help guide them on which anime to watch then there's no reason to take them down. All reviews have to be subjective since reviewing objectively is more of work than art and would be better done by bots since humans leave in their biaes no matter how objective they try to be.
May 20, 2017 2:32 AM

May 2015
Lord_Lamington said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

not so much the word count, but how long reviews are written.

Lets take the top steins gate review for example. The first 2 paragraphs just talk about time travel (just under 200 words). which is then followed up by a synopsis of the series. 300 words in and nothing about reviewing the anime yet. Its then just goes into way too much detail, which in my opinion, is completely unnecessary. takes 1448 words to write the rest of the review. I reccomend reading it to get an idea of what i mean by going into too much detail.

On the other hand though, the second most helpful one is straight to the point. 828 words, heading for each of the paragraphs and nice, simple and easy to read.

Putting a synopsis in your review is utterly pointless, I agree.

I often write long reviews. My reviews are nearly always 1000 words long, and I'm absolutely fine with that. The points I'm making require me to go in-depth, to explore the views and themes inside the anime. I cannot get there in half these words. Some of us aim higher.
May 20, 2017 2:33 AM

Jul 2013
I'm more concerned about why MAL doesn't delete the reviews who only consists in "THIS IS THE BEZT ANIMU EVER CREATED!!!!!! I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!!!!" or just reapeting the same word 10000000 times to try to look funny.
At least with rants you expose your opinion properly (in the most of cases).
May 20, 2017 2:35 AM

Oct 2015
romagia said:
Sjo said:

i think the moderators act more on reports than actively looking for stuff to delete

i do it both for inaccurate recommendations and flawed "reviews". nothing ever happens.
they should employ me, i'd be cleaning up in no time
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
May 20, 2017 2:51 AM

Feb 2013
Sjo said:
romagia said:

i do it both for inaccurate recommendations and flawed "reviews". nothing ever happens.
you might have noticed, but if you report an already-reported review, it tells you the review is already under review
so if the system allows the report to go through, it should mean you have been the first to do it
just give it some time.. weeks.. months.. i dont know if these reports are answered via PM so check frequently ?_?
last recruitment was last june btw so you missed your chance; maybe another wave will come soon

for the record i had a recomendatin removed once, and my friend a review xD
May 20, 2017 2:56 AM

Oct 2015
romagia said:
Sjo said:

you might have noticed, but if you report an already-reported review, it tells you the review is already under review
so if the system allows the report to go through, it should mean you have been the first to do it
just give it some time.. weeks.. months.. i dont know if these reports are answered via PM so check frequently ?_?
last recruitment was last june btw so you missed your chance; maybe another wave will come soon

i've had stuff removed too last year, stuff that wasn't even bothersome lol. i've reported stuff that clearly didn't belong and was never removed. i imagine the mods have their own private lives, but once you take on a responsibility, do your job.
May 20, 2017 2:59 AM

Feb 2013
Sjo said:
romagia said:

i've had stuff removed too last year, stuff that wasn't even bothersome lol. i've reported stuff that clearly didn't belong and was never removed. i imagine the mods have their own private lives, but once you take on a responsibility, do your job.
if you can report it again, maybe the report was declined without announcing you (probably review reports are not answered to not start an argument)
different mods might feel differently so you can keep playing the roulette xD
May 20, 2017 3:15 AM

Mar 2017
_Ako_ said:
TroverTa said:

smh dude

OppaiSugoi said:

Yes, all reviews are biased, but that doesn't mean that the proof and insights presented in their reviews are biased, or the proof can be linear... :/

good lord can you not understand sarcasm in my original reply
jeezums
╠╬╣ 일 » 이 » 삼 » 사 ╠╬╣

May 20, 2017 3:16 AM

Feb 2013
TroverTa said:
_Ako_ said:

jeezums
psst i think he was playing along with the sarcasm
May 20, 2017 3:24 AM

Apr 2016
This is why I've given up on most of the reviewers on MAL and come up with this formula:

For every .5 of a Veronin
There are 10 of themegamancave or Lindle (also 1st rate but not as popular)
There are 30 decent reviewers (not second rate but not truly 1st rate)
There are 60 second rate reviewers (very plain and with no real elaboration, just like they don't know how to make a decent review but they don't say much wrong or do stupid shit, though there is hardly any substance present thanks to barely putting effort)
There are 100 asshats (who post horribly wrong reviews, shit that antagonizes people for having a thing called a "standard", post some shit over and over and over again in one review, or mock how the review system is made up so that a review needs to have actual substance (hence a minimum length) because these cunts are too fucking lazy to do jackshit and would rather just waste literally everybody's time). Sadly, some of these are the most popular sometimes.
May 20, 2017 3:27 AM

Oct 2015
romagia said:
Sjo said:

if you can report it again, maybe the report was declined without announcing you (probably review reports are not answered to not start an argument)
different mods might feel differently so you can keep playing the roulette xD

i'm pretty sure they were in the same state as [reported]. in fact, you can find old reviews in the same state.
May 20, 2017 3:27 AM

Apr 2016
_Ako_ said:

They do nowadays but not all the time, or at least in many cases it takes a while. Some reviews are now irrelevant by default thanks to the preliminary stuff (which I'm very thankful for), but sometimes those kinds of reviews stay up for a cery, very long time. Just look at the Ace Attouebwy review that used to be 1st.
May 20, 2017 3:55 AM

Apr 2016
Darek said:
I am okay with those ranty reviews, do not like them personally but I guess they have a right to exist.

Besides MAL review system is already very picky and restricts creative freedom when it comes to reviews. I do believe we need more humorous reviews, the MAL rules make it sounds like a review has to be a snobby boring piece of pseudo intelectal crap.
Dude, you can write less than 400 words and they can still validate it as long as it doesn't blatantly antagonize the community it blatantly have no right to exist by virtue of wasting people's time with spam. Hell, you don't even need to out much effort into it, hence why many reviews that stay up are those of people barely saying anything about the anime in question and just having 1-3 lines of text per segment. Though that doesn't excuse lack it trying.
May 20, 2017 7:52 AM

Feb 2015
TroverTa said:
_Ako_ said:

jeezums

I'm still enjoying this thread, so what about it then?

CodeBlazeFate said:
_Ako_ said:

They do nowadays but not all the time, or at least in many cases it takes a while. Some reviews are now irrelevant by default thanks to the preliminary stuff (which I'm very thankful for), but sometimes those kinds of reviews stay up for a cery, very long time. Just look at the Ace Attouebwy review that used to be 1st.

Well at least the review section now looks "cleaner" than it was way before it. Not that I even think it was mess in the first place. :/
May 20, 2017 7:59 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Well we all have our own definition of a word so if you think someone's review is a rant then that's fine.

Now for actual rants that are in the review section, they should get taken down indeed. I guess MAL is just too lazy to see what counts as a rant or not.
May 20, 2017 8:09 AM

Apr 2016
_Ako_ said:
TroverTa said:

jeezums

CodeBlazeFate said:

Well at least the review section now looks "cleaner" than it was way before it. Not that I even think it was mess in the first place. :/
I guess. It's just that seeing reviews with no effort or into them is like seeing bad copy-paste anime with no effort or into them; it's aggravating and simply a waste of many people's time.
May 20, 2017 8:12 AM

Feb 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:
_Ako_ said:

I guess. It's just that seeing reviews with no effort or into them is like seeing bad copy-paste anime with no effort or into them; it's aggravating and simply a waste of many people's time.

Ehhh... I've never seen a review with no effort. If it frustrates you...

Like I said...

reporting it isn't that hard... :/
May 20, 2017 8:17 AM

Apr 2016
_Ako_ said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

Like I said...

You've never seen one in which people put like...1 sentence per section or just copy-paste a line of text (usually) after just a single line of opinion? They're not even worth the time it takes to report them since they've wasted enough of my time.
May 20, 2017 8:21 AM

Feb 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:
_Ako_ said:

Like I said...

You've never seen one in which people put like...1 sentence per section or just copy-paste a line of text (usually) after just a single line of opinion? They're not even worth the time it takes to report them since they've wasted enough of my time.

Ehh... Well those reviews are BS anyway, when someone reported it mods will just probably delete it and wouldn't care too much...

Well, it is not worth the time to report it, then don't... :/
May 20, 2017 9:02 AM
Jul 2018
CodeBlazeFate said:
Dude, you can write less than 400 words and they can still validate it as long as it doesn't blatantly antagonize the community it blatantly have no right to exist by virtue of wasting people's time with spam. Hell, you don't even need to out much effort into it, hence why many reviews that stay up are those of people barely saying anything about the anime in question and just having 1-3 lines of text per segment. Though that doesn't excuse lack it trying.
The single fact that there is a lack of rule when it comes to length (I think 100 characters is a minimum) my point still stands. People get their reviews deleted for stupid reasons a lot.
May 20, 2017 9:32 AM

Apr 2016
Darek said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
The single fact that there is a lack of rule when it comes to length (I think 100 characters is a minimum) my point still stands. People get their reviews deleted for stupid reasons a lot.
Exactly; you don't even need to put that much effort, you just have to not purposely waste people's time. I begrudge lazy reviews but ones that are just "spamspamspamspamspamspamspam" are always worthy of deletion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

98 by DAMT34 »»
35 seconds ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

31 by Yaggamy »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

188 by Adnash »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

28 by Rinenka »»
21 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

50 by EastIndiaCompany »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.