Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
May 18, 2017 3:04 PM

Jun 2015
I mean it was a 7/10 for me. A really good anime, but I think it's slightly overrated.
It feels like Anohana but worse TO ME.
I liked the movie a lot, but you guys are acting as if this is as good as Clannad After story.

Can Someone tell me why they liked this movie so much? I don't really understand.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 18, 2017 3:08 PM

Apr 2016
I was expecting salty threads about the "overrated" to come later, this is new record dude...
May 18, 2017 3:13 PM

Jun 2015
Swagernator said:
I was expecting salty threads about the "overrated" to come later, this is new record dude...

I think it's overrated, but I liked it. I am honest, I ain't gonna tell you all that it sucked because it's a genuinely enjoyable anime but not a masterpiece.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
May 18, 2017 3:18 PM

Nov 2013
Nice bait thread, but it would have been smarter to wait at least a few days until more people have seen it.
May 18, 2017 3:20 PM

Jun 2015
Blarey said:
Nice bait thread, but it would have been smarter to wait at least a few days until more people have seen it.

Where is the bait? I am genuinely asking why people like it and may consider how I think about this anime..?
May 18, 2017 3:20 PM
Jun 2016
So last night after a long day of college and work i downloaded the movie and watched it.

Just pointing that I have read the manga and love the shit out of it, prob my favorite so far.

I will first cover my impressions on the execution:

I felt so weird about how the story was presented, the progression from scene to scene felt disconnected for me, I felt like there was no "bridge" between one scene to another, it made the plot look rather random for me. I can't explain exactly I don't think pacing is the right word, but it felt like it was a montage of an anime series made by a fan, with a bunch a scenes thrown together, that you can't really grasp the plot when watching, it made me feel super distant from the history, I felt the exact same problem with scenes progression in the latest Ghost in The Shell live action. Usually good stories make you feel like you're living the story yourself.

A lot other things like when they presented that Shoya was going to kill him self, I felt nothing... while in the manga that made me pretty sad. Maybe that's why there was a better build up for that in the manga, tbh I thought the transition from the bully from Nishimiya to Shoya was just random, they didn't "explain" why, and the whole movie felt like that for me, a bunch of "hey guess why that happened" or maybe is because I've already know the plot prior to that?

Now for the plot:

I already knew they would cut a lot of things from that, but I felt that the exposure to nishimiya was so light that I made me feel little empathy for her and the bully she suffered, it was totally different for me in the manga.
Now one of the things that made me fall in love for the manga was the depth they've given to the side characters, one of my favourite parts was when the narrative switched from Shoya to the side character in question so you could see the contrast between what people thought they were like and what they were really like, their thoughts, insecurities, that was just pure art.

As a result I felt nearly no emotion through the whole movie, despising having cried through the whole manga, I don't know if I was to tired or biased because I've read the manga, the only scenes that did something for me were the ones in the very end.

So I was really tired when I watched it, I will watch it again and I will read some parts of the manga again, I hope it was just me who was tired and not the movie as disappointing as it felt for me :(

Please can someone tell me if you feel the same, or not at all, about the story progression and the execution of it? Also, do you know if that what I described has a name? It is not pacing, I think.
May 18, 2017 3:21 PM

Jan 2014
Blarey said:

how is this a bait thread...he said he liked the movie
May 18, 2017 3:27 PM

Jun 2015
Kokorowagurasu said:
So last night after a long day of college and work i downloaded the movie and watched it.

Just pointing that I have read the manga and love the shit out of it, prob my favorite so far.

I will first cover my impressions on the execution:

I felt so weird about how the story was presented, the progression from scene to scene felt disconnected for me, I felt like there was no "bridge" between one scene to another, it made the plot look rather random for me. I can't explain exactly I don't think pacing is the right word, but it felt like it was a montage of an anime series made by a fan, with a bunch a scenes thrown together, that you can't really grasp the plot when watching, it made me feel super distant from the history, I felt the exact same problem with scenes progression in the latest Ghost in The Shell live action. Usually good stories make you feel like you're living the story yourself.

A lot other things like when they presented that Shoya was going to kill him self, I felt nothing... while in the manga that made me pretty sad. Maybe that's why there was a better build up for that in the manga, tbh I thought the transition from the bully from Nishimiya to Shoya was just random, they didn't "explain" why, and the whole movie felt like that for me, a bunch of "hey guess why that happened" or maybe is because I've already know the plot prior to that?

Now for the plot:

I already knew they would cut a lot of things from that, but I felt that the exposure to nishimiya was so light that I made me feel little empathy for her and the bully she suffered, it was totally different for me in the manga.
Now one of the things that made me fall in love for the manga was the depth they've given to the side characters, one of my favourite parts was when the narrative switched from Shoya to the side character in question so you could see the contrast between what people thought they were like and what they were really like, their thoughts, insecurities, that was just pure art.

As a result I felt nearly no emotion through the whole movie, despising having cried through the whole manga, I don't know if I was to tired or biased because I've read the manga, the only scenes that did something for me were the ones in the very end.

So I was really tired when I watched it, I will watch it again and I will read some parts of the manga again, I hope it was just me who was tired and not the movie as disappointing as it felt for me :(

Please can someone tell me if you feel the same, or not at all, about the story progression and the execution of it? Also, do you know if that what I described has a name? It is not pacing, I think.

Yeah, this basically sums up what I thought about the anime. So the manga is better uh.. I might check it out........ BUT 7 volumes................................. I don't like manga that much but I'll check it out probably..
May 18, 2017 3:56 PM

Nov 2013
Takamura-sama said:
Blarey said:

Where is the bait? I am genuinely asking why people like it and may consider how I think about this anime..?

Well you said people are acting like it's better than Clannad AS, but it's not like AS at all, plus if you think it was a good anime, why do you have to state that it's overrated? Do you think Kimi no Na Wa is not overrated? Since that is higher in ranking than this. It literally just came out so I think it's way too early to call it overrated but its not bait I guess...
BlareyMay 18, 2017 5:37 PM
May 18, 2017 3:58 PM

Sep 2016
I agree on it being overrated because the movie is so highly condensed that there was hardly any time to deliver feelings in the way the manga did. I was expecting a lot more of the #3 rated movie, sadly I was disappointed this time.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 18, 2017 4:11 PM

Jan 2017
Eh, I watched it at the Theater a week or so back and I didn't read the manga nor did I have any idea on what to expect, So I watched it for what it was and I enjoyed it.

May 18, 2017 4:42 PM
Jun 2016
Zarutaku said:
I agree on it being overrated because the movie is so highly condensed that there was hardly any time to deliver feelings in the way the manga did. I was expecting a lot more of the #3 rated movie, sadly I was disappointed this time.
Exactly what I thought
May 18, 2017 4:51 PM
Jul 2018
well we all have those types of shows or movies that a lot of people love but u dislike or didnt think it was that great like me i dislike shinsekai yori and most kyoani works but a lot of people love them but thats me
May 18, 2017 5:35 PM

Aug 2016
This movie is definitely underrated....
I am not a fan of drama (most drama genre gets a low score from me), but if I don't give this a 10, then over 99% anime I will watch in the future won't get a 10.

This movie wasn't poorly written like Clannad or over-dramatic like Your Lie in April..
May 18, 2017 5:44 PM

Mar 2012
No, I think that it's actually incredibly underrated. As someone who's been through a lot of what Shouya has, I see it as an incredibly well made film that really understands the issues it's covering. I also think Naoko Yamada is one of the single best directors in the industry.

Also the movie isn't even THAT well regarded. It got completely overshadowed by Your Name, it never even came out in the US and it's average score from critics on Rotten Tomatoes is a 7.6/10.
SeibaaHomuMay 18, 2017 5:52 PM
May 18, 2017 5:52 PM

Nov 2014
Yeah, it is. I expected the ending to be better than manga's... it is worse.

Also, they cut lot of interesting from the manga incluiding character development for some secondary characters.

I guess it is quiite good for a 2 hour adaptatiòn, i didn't expected a lot because of that, but this doesn't deserves such a high score.

Takamura-sama said:
I don't like manga that much but I'll check it out probably..

it is worth every page, don't worry.
error5000May 18, 2017 5:58 PM
May 18, 2017 6:24 PM

Mar 2012
I actually did read the manga before going into the movie. In fact, I read the whole thing just so I could watch the movie without subtitles in Japan.

Sure, they cut out some good parts. But as a whole I'd say it's far better than the manga. Since it focuses solely and Nishimiya's struggles and Shouya's redemption it's a lot more tight and focused. As much as I liked their story in the manga, it was constantly broken up by subplots which were nowhere near as interesting as well as these awkward attempts at humour that were usually at odds with the emotion they were trying to convey.

And to add to that, they do a much better job at conveying those emotions in general. Naoko Yamada directs it like a live action movie. She goes to great lengths to create this heightened version of reality and it feels so believable. The way the characters move and speak alone are enough to make them feel so much more real, but what makes it all work is that Yamada really understands the underlying themes and communicates them a lot better than the manga did. Every emotion you're supposed to feel is there, but the movie hits so much harder.

Would I like to see a proper TV series that covers the entire manga someday? Absolutely. But I don't think it would be this good. For a 2 hour movie I could not think of a better way to approach this story. They got to the heart of what made the manga so good and made it better. Yamada is communicating everything the manga intended to communicate, but rather than letting herself be a slave to the source material she applies her own creative touch. Sort of like K-On!, this is as much Yamada's work as it is the original mangaka's. And it's a beautiful piece of work.

Also, on another note, why are you guys getting so worked up about MAL averages? They mean literally nothing.
SeibaaHomuMay 18, 2017 6:28 PM
May 18, 2017 6:27 PM

Aug 2012
Just started the movie but I'm not really liking some of the scenes compared to the manga. Some of them aren't hitting as hard as I thought they would.
May 18, 2017 6:55 PM
Jul 2016
Clannad actually is poop lmao
I'm not sitting through nearly 50 eps of nothing for 2 eps of supposed goodness
Aye check out my profile!
May 18, 2017 7:28 PM

Feb 2017
Yes it's definitely overreated.
I was hyped for this but this movie wasn't really that good.
Many people are saying the manga is better so i guess i will read the manga.
May 18, 2017 7:41 PM
Jun 2016
Decoysknight said:
Just started the movie but I'm not really liking some of the scenes compared to the manga. Some of them aren't hitting as hard as I thought they would.

My whole feeling through the movie, and i'm a little sucker for dramas, any simple drama cant hit me, still the movie was not doing for me, got me so frustrated
May 18, 2017 7:46 PM

Aug 2016
Everything on top 100 is overrated anyway :P

I get your point and while I do think it's still a bit early for this thread, people are going to like shows like these and there's nothing really wrong with that.

MAL scores aren't the most accurate thing in the world either, but it's accurate enough for your average audience and if you're not one of them then too bad.

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

May 18, 2017 7:50 PM

Nov 2014
Koe no katachi and clannad are my favorite animes so i dont have any problem, both are good and made by based kyoto animation
May 18, 2017 7:55 PM

Jun 2015
Let's see... Feels like Anohana, and comparing to Clannad AS.

Well aren't those simply people with shit analysis? It rarely has anything in parallel with those two.
May 18, 2017 9:24 PM

Nov 2014
Yep; just a tad bit overrated. It didn't meet my expectations but I still liked it. It's above average for a movie; a solid 7.5/10 at most.
May 18, 2017 9:39 PM

Dec 2016
Honestly my only gripe with this movie is that they cut out a lot of important plot points. Movie quality animation is great but I wish KyoAni had done a full tv series of this so that everything could have been fleshed out more.

I still thought it was a fantastic movie. Overrated? To me not really. It's one of the most "real" anime films I've watched in a long time. The characters felt real, their emotions felt raw and authentic and the story hit close to home for me. It's not a flashy movie, there's no otherworldly and insane plot twists, there are no overly exciting bits or overly romantic bits for the romantics among us. It's a story about teenagers dealing with depression, disability and battling their insecurities and faults. It's not going to connect with everybody, but it will connect with a lot.

It's not exactly a 10/10 overall bc there are some issues with pacing and character development.

That being said, the manga is brilliant, all the characters are way more developed and the story feels more complete. I recommend that everyone give the manga a shot, especially if they felt like something was missing when they watched the movie.
NanoRinMay 18, 2017 9:49 PM

Anime was the catalyst of my life's downward spiral.
Joining MAL was the nail in my coffin.

Every day I keep screaming into the void,
but god just tells me to shut up.
May 18, 2017 10:50 PM
Aug 2012
I wonder how many who liked it are able-bodied? I'd have thought at the very least some might have had experience of being bullied, which might alter their perspective.

It's a risky idea from the start to focus such a story on the bully's perspective, and the premise was always going to be difficult to pull off convincingly, which it simply wasn't. Very poor portrayal of disability, and while that could partly be seen as intentional since Shoko is seen through other character's perspectives (which doesn't make for the best portrayal to begin with), there just wasn't enough in the narrative to indicate that, especially as there are still scenes without Shoya present and it seems she inexplicably likes him, and the scene where Shoya says he wants to talk with her more wasn't really sufficient since it's undercut and there's just not enough of a turnaround afterwards.

I should possibly have expected this from a Japanese movie, but there remained a sense that the nail that sticks out somehow deserves to get hammered down, regardless of how little control said 'nail' has over this.

None of the character interactions were that convincing - except Ueno as unrepentant bully. That's what a more honest portrayal looks like.

Worse than AnoHana actually seems a fair assessment - at least the moeblob presentation of Menma doesn't really detract from the plot.
Amphy64May 18, 2017 11:52 PM
May 18, 2017 11:15 PM
Aug 2016
Please why does every single good anime I enjoy I see a stupid thread that says overrated like we get it... it didn't exceed your expectations.
May 18, 2017 11:32 PM
Nov 2016
I really did enjoy it, as for a 9/10? I don't believe so, maybe around an 8.30?

May 18, 2017 11:51 PM

May 2015
No, it was about gow I expected it. I read about 3/4 of the manga, so I knew basically the first halfish of the movie. Also, I watched this movie at a prefect time. Just finishing Hanasaku Iroha recently, I was already in that slice of life/romance mood. This allowed me to watch the movie with full enjoyment (even though it was slow at some parts). I give it a 9/10. Didn't get a 10/10 because I felt something little was missing to make it perfect.
May 19, 2017 2:01 AM

Jun 2015
Blarey said:
Takamura-sama said:

Well you said people are acting like it's better than Clannad AS, but it's not like AS at all, plus if you think it was a good anime, why do you have to state that it's overrated? Do you think Kimi no Na Wa is not overrated? Since that is higher in ranking than this. It literally just came out so I think it's way too early to call it overrated but its not bait I guess...

I said in terms of Drama. It's more like anohana. I haven't seen your name so I can't say anything about that. And it came out in November... And look at the score.. above 9+
May 19, 2017 2:03 AM

Jul 2013
My post from a similar thread.

I didn't like the movie as much as most, I felt that it didn't convey the characters inner most thoughts well enough, especially that of Kawai and the rest. A series probably would have been better, but watching the movie then going onto the manga for some further insight is fine too.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

May 19, 2017 4:18 AM

Apr 2015
Better than the manga for me. The first half of manga was great. The second half, which wasn't adapted was quite boring honestly. But I still accepted it (other than the movie making part) because it had relevance to the story. For me, it deserves the score.

It's a matter of opinions honestly. To me Anohana is just a 'good' series at best. Mostly because of the supernatural aspect of it. And the fact that the ending didn't hit me hard at all, which is supposed to be the best part. I just love the whole message of Koe no Katachi. It's amazing how it showed what rarely is shown. I'm not talking about being bullied. I'm talking about being the bully himself and the path of redemption.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 19, 2017 4:27 AM
Apr 2016
These type of threads always lame af bro. Why do people always have to concern themselves with if it's overrated or not. It just came out lol. It's good, that's good enough for me. If you enjoyed it why do you give af if other people overrate it? Shit is still good my G
May 19, 2017 4:36 AM

Feb 2016
I don't even care if it's overrated.I think the Anime was overall just beautiful.Kimi no na wa is way popular but also a great movie in my eyes.Just because a Anime is overrated means that It's bad.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
May 19, 2017 4:42 AM

Jun 2015
I think that I'm able to squeeze out more arguments to why this show is good in the reviews instead of the "I liked it its not overrated"
May 19, 2017 5:03 AM

Jun 2015
Takamura-sama said:
I mean it was a 7/10 for me. A really good anime, but I think it's slightly overrated.
I liked the movie a lot, but you guys are acting as if this is as good as Clannad After story.
I'm expecting it to be better than trash-tier Anohana and it seems appealing, as opposed to something based out of a VN as Clannad.

What I'd like to be explained about is the reason to make this kind of threads when you even liked the godamn thing.
May 19, 2017 5:07 AM

Jan 2016
If it gave Anohana feels it means that they totally butchered it, i just hope it will not be the case.
May 19, 2017 6:41 AM

Feb 2014
After just watching it I definitely surprised by its 9+ rating. Maybe I did not connect to it like others so it felt overly long.
May 19, 2017 7:38 AM
May 2017
Not overate, but overhype. Havent watch it yet and some already claims its better than YN. The rate will drop soon.
May 19, 2017 7:53 AM
Jun 2016
Now I'm left with is wondering "would I have enjoyed it if I didn't read the manga?" Honestly I don't know but I don't regret it, the manga was so good that I've read it in 2 days, it was too good, it hyped me up too much for the movie unfortunately
May 19, 2017 7:55 AM
Jun 2016
Lordwen said:
Takamura-sama said:
I'm expecting it to be better than trash-tier Anohana and it seems appealing, as opposed to something based out of a VN as Clannad.

What I'd like to be explained about is the reason to make this kind of threads when you even liked the godamn thing.

Because he wants to discuss with people who feel the same, the reasons why he didn't like maybe? You cannot dislike something and you're automatically a hater these days smh
May 19, 2017 8:00 AM

Dec 2015
*facepalm*

I cringe everytime I see such type of threads
May 19, 2017 8:24 AM

Jun 2015
Kokorowagurasu said:
Lordwen said:

Because he wants to discuss with people who feel the same, the reasons why he didn't like maybe? You cannot dislike something and you're automatically a hater these days smh
Except he does like it, read it again.

He wants to know why people likes it enough to give it "more rating" which is ridiculous per se as everybody is entitled to rate in any way they wish.

Also giving those examples as almost objective facts while providing no reasoning as of why he's asking in the 1st place (maybe he didn't cry as he did with Clannad, hence this has to be overrated).

Ridiculous thread no matter how you stare at it. The ridiculousness of providing examples like that is gold though.
May 19, 2017 8:32 AM

Aug 2016
I gave it a 10 because I watched it at the right time, and it hit me hard. I was bawling like a baby by the time Koi wo Shita no wa was playing at the end.

I was feeling rather mixed emotions prior to watching the movie, because of my suicidal friend's effects on me. I did not know that Koe no Katachi had themes related to depression. Other than my friend being suicidal just because her crush hates her and all, I also used to live in the deep black hole (depression), having only escaped less than a year ago. I could totally relate to what Nishimiya and Ishida were feeling, having experienced them myself, and also because of my friend going through them too.

The music and animation was amazing and absolutely beautiful too. The themes and characters were expressed really well.

I feel like writing more, but I'll just stop here.
May 19, 2017 8:36 AM

Jul 2016
Disagree. A 10/10 for me.

I read the manga and I find this perfect. Honestly, even better than the manga.
May 19, 2017 9:03 AM

Jan 2017
Over the years I have grown to dislike the term 'overrated' and the way it's used. Anyway, I just watched the movie and it was very enjoyable for me. 9/10
May 19, 2017 11:00 AM
Apr 2015
the movie is over 2 hours long if they gave any more development to the side characters we'd be here forever...
May 19, 2017 11:06 AM

Feb 2015
Mhh... Well if Kimi no Na Wa. is overrated, I guess you can make that kind of conclusion.
May 19, 2017 2:33 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
Its not overrated, Wtf...its more like underrated.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

258 by kaycooo »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nihon_no_tsuki - Sep 21, 2016

700 by Morragan »»
Apr 4, 5:29 PM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.