Forum Settings
Forums

Focus: As Streaming Booms, China Sees Growing Demand for Japanese Animation

New
May 16, 2017 10:00 PM

Jul 2009
On one breezy weekend in February, employees at the animation studio Emon were busy setting up new workstations in their Kichijoji office at the edge of Tokyo. The five-story building houses the entire anime production operation at the Japan branch of Shanghai-based animation company Haoliners.

Since Haoliners was established in 2013 by Li Haolin, a rising animator who had not yet turned 30 at the time, it has become one of China's leading domestic animation studios. It is backed by some of the leading players in the streaming content market, such as Internet giant Tencent and China's largest online video platform iQiyi.

While China has traditionally been a destination of outsourced work for the Japanese anime industry, that trend is starting to shift in the opposite direction. "There is demand from the Chinese side," says Widad Noureddine, Emon's general manager of international media operations. "Tencent has a big catalog of webcomics which are very popular, and they would love to see these works adapted into animation."

Talent has mushroomed in the Chinese animation industry in recent years, and producers now believe they are ready to take the charge in animation production. Emon, Japan's first animation studio by a Chinese production company, was established in response to this market shift. "If you want anime, you have to produce it in Japan," so goes the mantra, according to Widad.

The Nikkei Asian Review reports the Chinese animation market is projected to reach 150 billion yuan (US$21.7 billion) this year, a figure three times its size in 2010 and also larger than the Japanese market. According to 2015 data from the Association of Japanese Animations, Chinese buyers account for more than half of the year-over-year increase in industry revenue generated from overseas anime license sales.

An executive with a Beijing affiliate of Dentsu, Japan's largest advertising agency and a major anime investor, explains in a recent report by The Wall Street Journal that the crackdown on piracy has shifted the landscape of China's anime market in a positive direction. Government enforcement of copyright laws has resulted in producers and licensors seeing increased animation sales.

Reduction in piracy has made anime licenses more attractive to local buyers such as streaming sites Youku Tudou, Tencent Video, and Bilibili. The industry also benefits from the fact that streamed animation is not subject to the same quotas and content reviews put in place for foreign live-action films and television shows. At the same time, however, industry insiders warn this boom could end if Chinese media regulators decide to change their stance.

License costs are also on the rise with increasing competition among video streaming sites. For example, The Wall Street Journal estimates that one episode of Gintama sells for approximately US$100,000. This is why Tencent and other media publishers are beginning to invest as joint stakeholders in Japanese productions in order to avoid bidding wars. At the same time, Tencent can also develop its own webcomic properties with Japanese talent not only for the enjoyment of Chinese audiences, but also for others.

With the establishment of a Tokyo office, Haoliners has been able to produce some of its titles entirely in Japan. Other works, such as Hitori no Shita: The Outcast, are mainly planned and animated in Japan but through collaboration with studios in China and South Korea. "Right now, the only 100 percent Chinese product is To Be Hero, which is created by Li Haolin," Widad reveals.

As Chinese companies increase investment in anime productions, they still face obstacles in these new ventures due to negative perceptions of Chinese-made works. "The most challenging thing is dealing with the image that Chinese people only copy," Widad admits. "It's true that the origin of the works is not Japanese, but they are animated by Japanese people, in the Japanese way, at a Japanese studio."

Given the anime industry's current challenges, such as the shortage of animators, Widad believes Chinese co-productions can help revitalize support for creators. "Japanese people keep doing the same stories every time. The characters may be different, but they are still the same pattern of stories. I think that's where the Chinese market can do something different."

Animation Productions Supported by Haoliners
  1. Centaur's Worries (Centaur no Nayami), based on a manga published by Tokuma Shoten, and produced by Encourage Films (Japan).
  2. Fox Spirit Matchmaker (Huyao Xiao Hongniang), based on a web manhua published by Tencent, and produced by Emon Shanghai (China) and Emon Korea (South Korea).
  3. The Silver Guardian (Gin no Guardian), based on a web manhua published by Tencent, and produced Emon Tokyo (Japan).
  4. Spiritpact (Ling Qi), based on a web manhua published by Tencent, and produced by Emon Korea (South Korea).
  5. Reikenzan (Hoshikuzu-tachi no Utage and Eichi e no Shikaku), based on a web manhua published by Tencent, and produced by Studio Deen (Japan).
  6. Girl Beats Boy (Kenka Banchou Otome), based on a PlayStation Vita game by Spike Chunsoft, and is produced by Project no.9 and A-Real (Japan).
  7. Bloodivores, based on a web manha published by Tencent, and produced by Creators in Pack (Japan).
  8. The Outcast (Hitori no Shita), based on a web manhua published by Tencent, and produced by Pandanium (Japan) and Namu Animation (South Korea).
  9. To Be Hero, an original creation produced by Studio.Lan! (China) and Emon Tokyo (Japan).
  10. Cheating Craft, based on a web manhua, and produced by Blade (Japan).

Original reporting by arsonal for MyAnimeList. A complete transcript of the interview with Widad Noureddine, Emon's general manager of international media operations, will be available at the end of May.
mta_pnFeb 17, 2022 6:14 PM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 16, 2017 10:23 PM

Apr 2017
so basically china saves anime?
niceu

"one episode of gintama sells for 100,000"
dammmnn

itll be interesting to see the influence chinese production has on the industry... nice post!
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
May 16, 2017 10:30 PM
Aug 2016
it was about time China would start copying Japanese animation..
May 16, 2017 10:33 PM

Dec 2015
Would be nice to see em sponsor S&W 3 or some cool shit
May 16, 2017 10:34 PM
Jul 2018
This is rather interesting at how China wants to take itself in the industry, well. Hopefully at least to me they can get better through. They have been trying to be consistent though... at least recently. And seeing how they would be involved and all.
May 16, 2017 10:38 PM

May 2009
I just hope we somehow get a 1/2 Prince and Legend of Sun Knight animation someday...
May 16, 2017 10:46 PM

Dec 2014
hmmm...maybe it's china's way of coping/ copying Japnese animation ...hmmm
May 16, 2017 10:52 PM

Jul 2013
Interesting to see that stuff like Twin Spirit Detective and The King's Avatar aren't by HaoLiners. Also, I'm not a fan of any of the anime supported listed above.
May 16, 2017 10:53 PM

Jul 2013
PaulNamida said:
I just hope we somehow get a 1/2 Prince and Legend of Sun Knight animation someday...

I also want to see those 2 animated
May 16, 2017 11:02 PM

Dec 2013
good for china and all but i really want korea to do this.....not gonna happen anytime soon though :(
May 16, 2017 11:06 PM
Jul 2018
ironace said:
good for china and all but i really want korea to do this.....not gonna happen anytime soon though :(

I mean who knows, Maybe Korea would jump on the bandwagon or the trip to say later on in the future.
May 16, 2017 11:52 PM

Jun 2015
This was an interesting post.

"Japanese people keep doing the same stories every time. The characters may be different, but they are still the same pattern of stories. I think that's where the Chinese market can do something different."

Bloodivores confirmed master race.
May 17, 2017 12:23 AM

Mar 2013
Ikaros_42oh said:
niceu

^^^ So very animu, much save
Basically it could jumpstart the market as long as the Chinese gov doesn't troll everyone, which you think would be out of line with their new OBOR policy. So...saved?

Really interesting article, would love to see more like this on MAL.
(The WSJ article is also worth the read)
May 17, 2017 12:31 AM

Jan 2009
an exclusive news content from MAL? awesome! keep it coming

>License costs are also on the rise with increasing competition among video streaming sites. For example, The Wall Street Journal estimates that one episode of Gintama sells for approximately US$100,000.

this is not far fetch from the numbers here

Let's take account of what we already know: First, we know that license fees have been absolutely out of control for the last few years. Bidding wars between Funimation and Crunchyroll, as well as occasional violent disruption from Amazon, Hulu and Netflix have pushed the fees for some shows well over the US$200,000 per episode mark -- $2.6 Million for a 13-episode show. Sales, while healthy, have not gone up anywhere near that much, and this was clearly not sustainable for anime publishers.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-09-09/.106251

so its good to know that the anime industry can reach break-even profit just from selling streaming licenses because we know 1 episode of anime cost around 100,000 - 300,000 USA dollars (That said, a single anime episode costs about US$100,000-300,000 per episode, according to various producers we've talked to. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-05)
May 17, 2017 2:48 AM

Dec 2015
More butchered and low quality anime from China in the future eh? Great.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
May 17, 2017 2:50 AM

Dec 2015
It might have been a poorly produced show but I appreciated their original work To be Hero. If I have to watch chinese animation in order to get original content, then I'm okay with it (I guess).

Thanks for the upcoming interview report.
May 17, 2017 3:15 AM
Jul 2018
Given the anime industry's current challenges, such as the shortage of animators, Widad believes Chinese co-productions can help revitalize support for creators. "Japanese people keep doing the same stories every time. The characters may be different, but they are still the same pattern of stories. I think that's where the Chinese market can do something different."

Because Bloodivores, Spiritpact, To Be Hero, The Outcast, Gin no Guardian and Cheating Craft are good and original stories...

May 17, 2017 3:20 AM

Jul 2015
even the most generic harem is still better than any shitty chinese cartoon
May 17, 2017 3:26 AM

Nov 2011
tragedydesu said:

Clearly never watch King's Avatar.

May 17, 2017 3:36 AM

Jul 2015
KaiserNazrin said:
tragedydesu said:

i really hate chinese voice acting
so not sure if i should give it a try or not
May 17, 2017 4:49 AM

Mar 2015
the chinese cartoon can be come real soon enough..
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 17, 2017 5:52 AM

Jul 2012

But then when China starts creating more anime, it would be "Chinese people keep doing the same stories every time. The characters may be different, but they are still the same pattern of stories."
May 17, 2017 6:14 AM

Feb 2015
tragedydesu said:

Wait...

But you still have generic harem... :/

May 17, 2017 6:20 AM
Jul 2018
Can someone explain this in 1 sentence pls? I'm not a fan of reading a novel.
May 17, 2017 6:54 AM
Oct 2016
Honestly, the most chinese Manhuas are the same: Tales of Demons and Gods, Doupo Cangqiong, Douluo Dalu, Panlong etc
But then you have some special ones i really wish to see as anime: Feng Shen Ji, Blood and Steel, City of Darkness, Shiguizue, Bowling King, Tiger x Crane and Rakshasa Street.

So the chinese have a source of good manhuas but the most of them have a similiar setting.
If they make a success then maybe there will be more people willing to make manhuas and this means we can get many more different animes.
If you read some of those I mentioned you will see the approaching is totally different. They have a different focus as the japanese mangas. The characters have often different motives.

EDIT: I hope for korean manhuas! Tower of God, Dice, Black Haze , Noblesse, Blind Faith Descent, Ares, The Breaker....All are amazing. Tower of God must get an anime. Honestly, its totally amazing
xRayzen1May 17, 2017 6:58 AM
May 17, 2017 7:34 AM

Mar 2014
Yaoi-Senpai said:
Chinese Communists are trying to infiltrate the Japanese anime market and make anime Communist again
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 17, 2017 9:03 AM

Mar 2010
Ikaros_42oh said:
niceu

dammmnn

itll be interesting to see the influence chinese production has on the industry... nice post!

Now if Japanese studio would start creating a better environment for it's animators the industry will truly be saved.
May 17, 2017 9:25 AM

Oct 2014
Jagd84 said:
Ikaros_42oh said:
niceu

dammmnn

Now if Japanese studio would start creating a better environment for it's animators the industry will truly be saved.

Combine that with better copyright law enforcement and better overseas distribution and better anime and it will be truly TRULY saved.
May 17, 2017 10:17 AM

Sep 2013
One of those chinese higher up or directors also said that unlike the japanese they do anime production like a machine output so that's why all these chinese anime are so bland and lack detail and tones, they don't put any heart in it they just want to pump out a product.
May 17, 2017 10:24 AM

Apr 2017
ichii_1 said:
One of those chinese higher up or directors also said that unlike the japanese they do anime production like a machine output so that's why all these chinese anime are so bland and lack detail and tones, they don't put any heart in it they just want to pump out a product.

Damn Chinese knock off anime and knock off cars and knock off watches and knock off life

Are anime sweatshops the future?
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
May 17, 2017 10:31 AM

Jan 2013
Comic_Sans said:
Yaoi-Senpai said:
Chinese Communists are trying to infiltrate the Japanese anime market and make anime Communist again
This. Don't fall for their lies!
May 17, 2017 10:53 AM
Jul 2018
I just hope things actually dont get change since china's voice acting imho is err.... (well we are used to watching JP voice morever I dont wanna see change from J-RPG -> C-RPG)

At least I want, no matter what, to adapt some worthy manga to anime that's all will grow anime industry.
May 17, 2017 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
Make 'legend of the sun knight' you fucks
May 17, 2017 11:30 AM

Dec 2015
xRayzen1 said:
Honestly, the most chinese Manhuas are the same: Tales of Demons and Gods, Doupo Cangqiong, Douluo Dalu, Panlong etc
But then you have some special ones i really wish to see as anime: Feng Shen Ji, Blood and Steel, City of Darkness, Shiguizue, Bowling King, Tiger x Crane and Rakshasa Street.

So the chinese have a source of good manhuas but the most of them have a similiar setting.
If they make a success then maybe there will be more people willing to make manhuas and this means we can get many more different animes.
If you read some of those I mentioned you will see the approaching is totally different. They have a different focus as the japanese mangas. The characters have often different motives.

EDIT: I hope for korean manhuas! Tower of God, Dice, Black Haze , Noblesse, Blind Faith Descent, Ares, The Breaker....All are amazing. Tower of God must get an anime. Honestly, its totally amazing

I think there was an anime entry for Noblesse. Infact I watched it some time ago
May 17, 2017 11:55 AM
Oct 2016
Robiiii said:
xRayzen1 said:

I think there was an anime entry for Noblesse. Infact I watched it some time ago

Yes but wasnt it just an OVA?
May 17, 2017 12:03 PM

Dec 2015
xRayzen1 said:
Robiiii said:

Better than nothing I suppose :p
May 17, 2017 12:08 PM

Dec 2012
ANIME IS JAPANESE ONLY CHINEZES PLS GO

I don't watch as much anime as before...
May 17, 2017 12:30 PM
Oct 2016
Robiiii said:
xRayzen1 said:

Better than nothing I suppose :p

True story! Its a good step! I am wishing for Tower of God :)
May 17, 2017 12:46 PM

Jul 2008
This should be what all articles are instead of the disgusting click bait shit 100% of it is now. It has no place on the news section, though.

May 17, 2017 2:11 PM

Feb 2012
So pretty soon we'll have even an animation war between China and Japan.

Truly that will be the end of times.
May 17, 2017 2:33 PM

Aug 2016
only Chinese anime I loved was To Be Hero it had so much charm and provided constant entertainment even with the short run-time it had of 10 minutes.
The other productions of Haoliners I can't exactly say the same most have been almost bad to intolerable. Bloodivores is the only 20 minute TV series I have scored a one and I'm scared to try out the others by the studio in fears that they will be of same quality looking at their mean scores. I'll definitely check out the upcoming Centaru no Nayami though, I hope it won't disappoint.
May 17, 2017 2:48 PM
Jul 2018
In all honesty in some sense of defense for China though? Not really a bad idea for them to even join or infiltrate or try to do the same thing as Japan is doing when it comes to anime. You know what that means right? Probably a higher chance of more countries having this type of stuff opened and such such over. I just mean more if they are trying to get into the industry its not necessarily a bad thing, it just means a higher chance of more interests, thus more open products (perhaps).

Heck to be completely honest... haven't they started to at least be more consistently decent recently on their end that being rather... than being inconsistently bad? I think around Fall 2016 is where I heard the most minor complaints and winter to some extent as well. As far as I am concerned with it. Spring 2017 either and considering I only heard meh to okay things when it comes to Gin no Guardian to Great things from King's Avatar (I might have missed anything from china from this season if so correct me or mention)
removed-userMay 17, 2017 2:52 PM
May 17, 2017 3:05 PM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
I definitely think Chinese animation has tons of potential if they continue with the work they've been doing so far, I look forward to seeing what they dish out and how it affects the anime industry.
May 17, 2017 5:26 PM

Mar 2016
I don't know if I want that, I feel the chinese might be a bit too uniform in thinking to create a myriad of quality stories and characters.
May 17, 2017 5:59 PM
Jul 2016
Some people see this as a problem, I do not see it this way: it can open many doors, and generate a diversity of works like we've never seen before. The Chinese market can warm up the market for animators, as well as investing in the formation of the market. Apart from that, although no one seeks to know about it, some Chinese animators already work for Japanese studios as well as Koreans. If the [$] producers as well as Korean and Japanese entertainers get closer to each other this can be a good thing, not bad!

The fact that there is already an opening of the Japanese studios for artists from outside, proves that they are apt to change. If this is a step for the market to become more competitive and fair [salary] then I am not against.
ronie91May 17, 2017 6:03 PM
May 17, 2017 6:29 PM
Jul 2018
tragedydesu said:
KaiserNazrin said:

i really hate chinese voice acting
so not sure if i should give it a try or not

i'd say its worth a try
the voice acting isnt that great yes, but it's decent
but the story, art make up to it
May 17, 2017 8:53 PM

Jul 2014
China being one step closer to conquering the world, perfecting the craft of japanese animus.
May 17, 2017 9:13 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Please China, just do more Jackie Chan movie and stay the hell away from animation. Your "anime" sucks

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
May 17, 2017 9:42 PM

Apr 2015
I'm afraid if they're trying to convince people Chinese animation is worth watching with Bloodivores they're going about it wrong.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
May 17, 2017 10:35 PM

Apr 2017
Chinese animation has huge potential
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

58 by bibyy »»
24 minutes ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
2 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 5 hours ago

1 by deg »»
4 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.