Forum Settings
Forums

Why do some people watch anime at 2x speed or faster?

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Aug 16, 2016 8:47 AM

Aug 2014
I totally agree with you, I find it utterly stupid. If you can't watch an anime at 1.0x speed, then either postpone it, put it on hold, or just don't watch it. I don't consider it as "watching", in terms of progressing.

When I check on One Piece episode forum pages, I see ppl proudly claiming that "it's watchable on 2x speed" and things like that because of the pacing. Shake my head.
Aug 16, 2016 10:30 AM

Jan 2011
Is this actually serious? Been watching anime for a while and that's news to me. Shit.
Aug 16, 2016 11:25 AM

Dec 2012
iwansquall said:

I would like to ask you how read normal manga then?
Voice in your head every dialogue?
Speed reading through once then read it again normally?
(I can add in to ask if you consume the content legally or not but it is not my job to judge what other people do on internet)

Well, pacing for manga is controlled by pannel size, composition, length of speech bubbles, amount of visual information in the pannels, etc. The equivalent to watching anime with increased speed for manga would be skimming through thumbnails or something like that.
Aug 16, 2016 11:32 AM

May 2015
I tried it a few times when the episode was really slow but it's pretty stupid and ruins everything. I don't think that there are actual people that do that but you can never know
Aug 16, 2016 11:34 AM

Feb 2013
I never heard about people doing this before either. This is the first time.

Well, if it's a damn KyoAni anime, that might just be a brilliant idea because of how freaking slow paced their shows are. I just feel like sleeping when attempting to watch their slice of life shows. I might actually try that.

Watching for the sake of completion is dumb though. I find it hard to believe people actually do that for this reason.
Aug 16, 2016 1:01 PM
Feb 2012
There's only one anime I remember doing this for - One Piece. Not because it was bad, or I wanted to get through it quickly, it was simply because I felt the very movement of the characters were slow, and at 1.5x or sometimes 2x speed it seemed "normal". Though for a lot of parts I'd just watch normally.

While I do have a no drop policy, I usually maintain it by a "I'll finish it one day" type of thinking, so yeah. There really isn't any point in blazing through a series for the sake of completion alone.
Aug 16, 2016 1:09 PM
Apr 2008
I'm the type to skip through the OP and ED, if I know they'll be the same. (Some anime change it up so I go through those).

As for higher speeds, I've done this, here were my reasons:

1) Wanted to get an episode in before class started.
2) Wasn't really interested in the show, or some episodes were really boring.
3) Rewatching an anime (previous seasons), as a refresher for the current season. Helps especially with anime that I've put on hold for a year+.
4) Its either reading an episode summary (which takes like a min), or getting the summary through a x1.2 - x2 speed episode.

That said, I don't do this for airing shows, or shows that are 'good', or in the top... lets say top 100.

As long as the person enjoys whatever they're doing, I think its fine. Can't and shouldn't really dictate what people do, its subjective anyways.
Aug 16, 2016 1:11 PM
Jul 2018
...wait, what? This is the first time I've heard of people doing this. o_O
Aug 16, 2016 2:13 PM

Apr 2012
Wow, 'am impressed so few people seem to watch anime at xlambda speed.

I do it pretty often.

Why ?

Let's take an example : there's this super-popular anime which you find is shit from top to bottom. But some blue-haired gurl confessed (you know, a "normal" scene in a shitty show looks fabulous, obviously) and the whole community goes nuts about it.
If you wanna follow the tremendous amount of memes, you gotta watch the show.

But you don't wanna lose your time (and your brain).

But you wanna know.

So you watch the show at x2, x3 speed and see that yes, indeed, Rem is the best gurl and Subaru's one of the worst MC of the season. And you forget the existence of the elf or whatever she is 'cause you basically never see her.

And you didn't lose thaaat amount of your brain.

Conclusion :

- 'am able to laugh at ReZero memes.
- I didn't have to spend x hours on a plain shitty anime
- I can have a conversation about it with average weeaboos
- 'realised Rem best gurl

(well, in my case I guessed ReZero would be as shitty and hyped as SAO, AgK,... so forced myself to start it. But above could be the situation of any other decent person)

Oh, and I don't have the "completed" complex. If the show doesn't please me and isn't hyped I just drop it. I might look one last episode at x3 to be sure, but I agree it's pointless, watching a show at x3, if it's only to get more completed.
MylmyzanAug 17, 2016 1:45 AM
Aug 16, 2016 7:38 PM
Jan 2015
I do it only when Is an anime that I wanna see like from start to end right now and I don't have the time right now, so I just watch it at 2x like Akikan, or sometimes I dislike the anime but I wanna haver more animes in my list so I watch it like that, just to add an anime to te list like Lamune (2x) or A-Channel (4x), the last one I really didn't liked it
Aug 16, 2016 10:49 PM

Mar 2014
I do it all the time. It's to save time cuz not all of us have time to watch anime all day like some can.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Aug 16, 2016 10:58 PM

Feb 2013
@MizushiDei if you had watched it on 1x, you would've been part of the Emilia master race
Aug 17, 2016 12:42 AM
Jan 2016
I watch on faster speeds because there are some parts in anime where I feel it's going too slow, and I get impatient to know what happens next. Or, I'm on a time crunch and I'm anxious to know what happens first. However, both cases are quite rare and I end up watching it again in normal speed afterwards.

There was a case where I hated an anime so much I watched it at 4 times its speed, but this was because a friend of mine kept forcing me to finish it.
Aug 17, 2016 12:46 AM

Jul 2010
Actually currently I'm watching animes with x1.2 or x1.3 coz I don't have that much free time because of work, proper sleep and going to the gym (I want to be healthy somehow) and maybe because of my girlfriend..shhhh..hahaha
And also because I'm not that eager to watch a certain anime and I feel that watching would waste my time but I would like to give it a try because it has good reviews..Like the anime Rainbow, I don't want to watch it first because all the characters are boys and bald..definitely not my type but after watching it, I thank God for stumbling upon such a gem :)

Also long ago I have watch Gurren Lagann DUB on x2 speed because I don't feel like it at first because of overly exaggerated fight scenes but then I saw a great character Simon then everything changes..I finished the show on x2 speed(except for the ending) and I can still very well follow the story maybe because I got used to hearing and watching things on x2 :)
Aug 17, 2016 1:51 AM

Apr 2012
@romagia
True, because I would have dropped the anime long before Rem gets the show renamed RemZero
MylmyzanAug 17, 2016 4:50 AM
Aug 17, 2016 3:06 AM

Mar 2015
I have a feeling I wouldn't get along with anyone who does this.
Aug 17, 2016 4:50 AM

Jun 2016
so that the lolis sound younger

try watching GochiUsa at double speed

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Oct 2, 2016 8:27 AM
Oct 2016
the number of ignorant people here are waay to high.. first of all, OP you must be the dumbest person of all. if someone does something, it must be horrible, just because you dont do this right? but also the other genius people who are like "I have a feeling I wouldn't get along with anyone who does this.", and who also say that it doesnt count as watching anime, and its bad and horrible, ARE YOU FOR REAL? how dumbd do you have to be, to think like this??o.O i cant understand these people who are just here to judge something from distance, not even trying to think about, why some people do this.
first of all, i am jelaous of you, if you have at least 5 hours for every anime you watch. now you need to know, that not all people can just be at home, and watch anime all day. with increased speed i still understand the anime, and i still like it, but i just dont have time, how can you not understand that?
i never thought that im going to have to register here only because a topic will make me mad. come on people, if you dont know/understand what you are talking about, then you have no right to judge it.
Oct 26, 2016 10:06 AM

May 2016
haha I can't belive the number of people who get triggered by those who watch anime at x2

I did that a few weeks ago cuz I was curious and I regret nothing , probably I'll keep doing this (x1.5) in particular cases c:!
Apr 24, 2017 4:05 AM
Jul 2018
It goes so fast you have little time to get invested in what you're watching. It's great if you have a short attention span, or are binge watching a shitty show you don't care in the first place.

Personally I did that a few times, but it frustrated me more than it helped. Now I just let them roll in the background while doing something else.

Apr 24, 2017 4:08 AM

Dec 2015
When you reach a point you often feel like skipping over the bullshit, so I often use my 1.5x button for it.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 24, 2017 4:08 AM

Dec 2014
Because the whole fucking point in cinematography is to create certain tones etc based upon pacing and other elements which are completely destroyed by altering these factors.
Apr 24, 2017 4:14 AM

May 2014
If you're just going to speed it up I don't see the point in watching it in the first place.
Apr 24, 2017 4:18 AM

Apr 2017
Nope... It's just uncomfortable.. Besides who would do such thing like watching... an anime with that kind of speed?

And another thread.. just got repost... NEXT...

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Apr 24, 2017 4:19 AM

Apr 2017
personally i like to s l o w m y a n i m e d o w n
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Apr 24, 2017 4:20 AM

Oct 2016
I don't speed mine because the sounds goes haywire lol. I just skip the boring/cringey parts.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Apr 24, 2017 4:23 AM

Feb 2010
There are no benefits, it ruins the experience and I'll treat you as if you haven't seen the anime if you watched it all sped up because all you got was some twisted, shitty version of the actual anime where nothing from pacing to music to voice acting to animation looks as the director intended it to. Therefore any judgments you make about the show based on such a twisted experience are completely missing their target.

I don't need to rely on one specific experience, I just use the minimal amount amount of brain cells necessary to apply common sense and it tells me all I need to know about this method.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 24, 2017 4:34 AM

Jan 2009
well it means faster time to finish an anime obviously

but personally im not a fan of it although i tried it sometimes way in the past
Apr 24, 2017 5:41 AM

Sep 2014
Pullman said:
There are no benefits, it ruins the experience and I'll treat you as if you haven't seen the anime if you watched it all sped up because all you got was some twisted, shitty version of the actual anime where nothing from pacing to music to voice acting to animation looks as the director intended it to. Therefore any judgments you make about the show based on such a twisted experience are completely missing their target.

I don't need to rely on one specific experience, I just use the minimal amount amount of brain cells necessary to apply common sense and it tells me all I need to know about this method.

this is so true. in my opinion:
Time Spent on Anime=Amount of Story Absorbed from the Anime
if u've only watched like 3 hours on a 24ep series which contains heaps of content, of course ur gonna rate it a bad score because ur not gonna understand 2/3 of the series since u only watched 1/3 worth of storyconsidering each ep is 20 minutes long
Apr 24, 2017 5:45 AM

Mar 2013
Why the hell is this even a thing? I mean what's the merit of any media watching experience if you're gonna speed the thing up to watch faster? I don't get it, for real.
Apr 24, 2017 5:51 AM

Oct 2014
No. Do you want to get it done with anime as quickly as possible? Is watching anime a chore? I speed up things I don't want to do in the first place so i have more time for things that I like. Watching anime happens to be one of the latter.
Apr 24, 2017 5:57 AM

Nov 2016
I dunno at 3.5x do you want to enjoy anime or just finish things fast and if so then what's the point of watching anime in the first place?
Apr 24, 2017 5:59 AM

Jan 2013
Eh i'd accept 1.5x speed at max, but 3.5x? Then what are you even watching in it? Rapid character movements which make no sense? Nah.
Apr 24, 2017 6:00 AM

Jul 2015
I would never speed up anime. I see it as an issue of quantity vs. quality. People rush through things so they can get more done in a day. Only to be completely exhausted in the end and never had a chance to actually enjoy what they were doing.
DracokunApr 24, 2017 7:22 AM
Apr 24, 2017 6:09 AM

Sep 2014
unless you wanted to have the 'Most Animes Watched Award' on MAL then it generally isn't worth speeding up and if the series is boring there's always the option to drop the series completely instead of wasting your time
Apr 24, 2017 6:38 AM

Aug 2015
Now I automatically assume that OP has watched the majority of his Anime at 2.0x or faster speed. To be honest, you are wasting your time and should find another hobby.

Your behavior is disgusting, but that's none of my business.

Ohh, and since you mentioned the other guy that created the 3.5x speed thread... that guy went from 220 days' worth of Watched Anime to 240+ days in about 1 hour, so I guess that you feel inspired by him?
Apr 24, 2017 6:44 AM
Dec 2013
I remember an episode of Naruto Shippuuden and the first episode of Mononoke having awkward pauses in them. The awkward pauses are obviously there to fill up time, and it's understandable if people sped up the anime by 1.5x in episodes like this. I'd also understand if people sped up the anime in filler episodes or recap episodes. But for a normal episode of an anime, I think it's just wrong to speed up the anime. I don't know in what way it would make it convenient for them. What's the rush? Just to complete anime faster and have it part of the Completed section in their anime list as soon as possible? It feels like cheating to me. Also feels like they don't really care about anime and watching it is a chore for them, and they should find another hobby.
wildhoodApr 24, 2017 8:38 AM
Apr 24, 2017 6:45 AM

Jun 2011
So so dumb. Why do that? And yeah, more to watching anime than reading the subtitles.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Apr 24, 2017 6:52 AM
Feb 2016
Speeding up your anime makes you casual. Real anime enthusiasts slow down their anime so they waste even more of their lives watching anime.
Apr 24, 2017 7:18 AM

Oct 2015
what if you watch tatami galaxy speed up wonder how that would work...
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Apr 24, 2017 7:32 AM

Mar 2017
You won't be able to pay attention to the plot as much as you would at normal speed. There's no point of watching if you're not going to understand what's going on.
Apr 24, 2017 7:37 AM

Jul 2013
Shoegum said:
Speeding up your anime makes you casual. Real anime enthusiasts slow down their anime so they waste even more of their lives watching anime.
No, it makes them stupid. And if there are people who actually do that then I think the concept of "list padding" might actually be true.
Apr 24, 2017 7:56 AM

Oct 2015
Totally fine with fast forwarding a show I don't care for anymore but is too close to the end to drop (ok I admit, just shows that look boring to me in general).

These are shows Id be so bored by I'd absorb as much on fast forward as I would watching every single frame.
Apr 24, 2017 8:12 AM

Aug 2007
Because you're not actually watching the episode. You're not watching it the intended way.

How is this such a hard concept to grasp? Honestly the whole speeding up your anime sounds like the most autistic thing I've ever heard in my life.

Apr 24, 2017 8:15 AM

Dec 2015
Why would you want to watch something with everyone talking at 500 miles an hour? I've never understood why people watch anime sped up.

Apr 24, 2017 8:19 AM

Sep 2012
ClavisM said:
Why would you want to watch something with everyone talking at 500 miles an hour? I've never understood why people watch anime sped up.

So you can finish more anime than all the other losers here and claim "My dick is bigger than yours"
Apr 24, 2017 8:21 AM
Aug 2015
Doesn't speeding up completely ruin the tone, mood, soundtrack, pacing of the series? I mean, as if one single episode of anime wasn't short enough, now you want to watch it in 3x the normal speed. What the fuck is this community?
Apr 24, 2017 8:29 AM

Aug 2016
I'd never do that. Nor would I skip any parts no matter what, in case I miss out on anything. Sure, if you wanna do that, then go ahead. As long as I'm not watching it with you.
Apr 24, 2017 5:42 PM

Apr 2014
also it makes it harder to recc anime in the future because i'd wager its pretty hard to actually ejoy and follow the show and even dialogue sped up so the best you could ever give something is like a 6 or maybe 7
if someone rated an anime they sped up an 8 or above they have to be crazy because there's no way to keep up with anything (without some mental disorder that helps with concentration or something)
Apr 24, 2017 10:21 PM
Jul 2012
If you're watching a long shonen with filler scenes in a non-filler arc/dbz-like pacing in a moment you don't particularly care about, sure, it's another way of skipping filler like you would skip filler arcs

Otherwise definitely not
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime? ( 1 2 )

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 19

73 by Abomination_suah »»
3 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 7 hours ago

15 by juanlqr »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

27 by juanlqr »»
10 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 6 hours ago

14 by iiKonata »»
11 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

91 by LeonhartAugust »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.