Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 21, 2017 6:39 AM

Jun 2013
>>Real.
>>I suffer from it myself (OCD and Social Anxiety).
>>It is often over-diagnosed.
>>I hate people who glorify it.
>>There are a number of factors that affect how susceptible you are to mental illness (genetics, environment etc.).
>>Gender-dysphoria is a real thing.
>>Medicine + Therapy is the best way to treat it.

My parents were skeptical about psychology and psychiatry until my health hit a boiling point 3 years ago.
Apr 21, 2017 6:43 AM

Jun 2013
CatalystSyndrome said:
I have found the embodiment of mental illness.

On a serious note tho, stuff like depression and anxiety can be fixed by eating a banana or something (it has a happiness hormone thing) some whiny Tumblr kids say it's like forcing yourself to be happy like some robot or something. And that mental illness is called retardatio- Oh yeah retarded people get offended by it... "Intellectually disabled".

Diet and exercise does play in a role in relieving depression symptoms. But I disagree with you because depression and anxiety is more about chemical imbalances and perception that cannot be easily fixed by altering your diet. I agree there are shit ton of idotic tumblr users who glorify and self-diagnose mental illnesses. When you are truly depressed you feel numb, no pleasure in food, work, play, hobbies and sex.

Apr 21, 2017 7:35 AM

Jan 2017
Tomboy said:
CatalystSyndrome said:
I have found the embodiment of mental illness.

On a serious note tho, stuff like depression and anxiety can be fixed by eating a banana or something (it has a happiness hormone thing) some whiny Tumblr kids say it's like forcing yourself to be happy like some robot or something. And that mental illness is called retardatio- Oh yeah retarded people get offended by it... "Intellectually disabled".

Diet and exercise does play in a role in relieving depression symptoms. But I disagree with you because depression and anxiety is more about chemical imbalances and perception that cannot be easily fixed by altering your diet. I agree there are shit ton of idotic tumblr users who glorify and self-diagnose mental illnesses. When you are truly depressed you feel numb, no pleasure in food, work, play, hobbies and sex.

yeah i kinda over-simplified some stuff. I kinda agree with you but I worded it like a 12 YO tumblr girl because I'm bored af.
Apr 21, 2017 7:41 AM

Feb 2016
I have PDD-NOS

Not every Mental Illness is that severe that its relevant. Nobody really thinks that I have mental issues and they are suprised when I tell them that I do.
Apr 21, 2017 7:47 AM

Apr 2017
~yeah i suffer from a sick ass brain~
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Apr 21, 2017 10:27 AM

Sep 2015
im getting checked out soon for mental illness. im fairly certain of the issue though. mental illness really is no joke
Apr 21, 2017 10:54 AM

Oct 2012
I've been anorexic since I was 15 years old, now I'm 20 and still struggle with it.
On top of that, I suffer from psychotic depression.
I've been in and out of mental hospitals, but nothing has helped so far. I am in despair and don't know what to do.

So yeah, I guess one could say mental illnesses aren't a fucking choice, because I sure as hell didnt decide to get random hallucinations and all the other shit. Consider yourself lucky if you've never had anything to do with mental illnesses, I wish i could live a life without all the pain.
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Apr 21, 2017 10:57 AM

Aug 2015
It doesn't exist and it's all an excuse for people to misbehave.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Apr 21, 2017 11:04 AM

Oct 2016
Who knows... but everyone has problems sometimes. Just get through it and work harder no matter what so you can succeed.
Apr 21, 2017 9:30 PM
Jul 2018
Mental illnesses, as their name says, are just in the mind. They aren't "real" illnesses, even though they affect you. But it's all a product of your mind.
Apr 21, 2017 9:41 PM

Nov 2009
Lord_Sithis said:
Mental illnesses, as their name says, are just in the mind. They aren't "real" illnesses, even though they affect you. But it's all a product of your mind.
Question. What is "the mind"? - Is this an extension of "the soul"? Are you claiming that "the mind" is a product of something intangible, something that "isn't real"?

I think the biggest flaw in our society is that people seem to have adapted the soul into being the mind, that one's cognition is the product of voodoo magic, rather than the very real brain (I mean it is to the point that you would have to ask - what is the brain? Do you think that the brain is only responsible for autonomic functions?)
Apr 21, 2017 9:44 PM
Jul 2018
Pirating_Ninja said:
Lord_Sithis said:
Question. What is "the mind" - Is this an extension of "the soul"? Are you claiming that "the mind" is a product of something intangible, something that "isn't real"?
That's why I put "real" with quotes, because even though the mind is real, it's not really part of the physical body (that would be the brain), unless you count the electric impulses as the mind, but I don't really see it that way. I don't see it as something spiritual like the soul, but not purely physical either.
Apr 21, 2017 9:46 PM

Nov 2009
Lord_Sithis said:
Pirating_Ninja said:
Question. What is "the mind" - Is this an extension of "the soul"? Are you claiming that "the mind" is a product of something intangible, something that "isn't real"?
That's why I put "real" with quotes, because even though the mind is real, it's not really part of the physical body (that would be the brain), unless you count the electric impulses as the mind, but I don't really see it that way. I don't see it as something spiritual like the soul, but not purely physical either.
So in other words, the "mind" comes from nothing? - it is not a product of neuronal connections in the brain, but rather some nonexistent nothingness?

(I will tell you that the notion that cognition / behavior is the result of "the mind" is archaic - "the mind" is a philosophical concept, and has very little purpose in any type of science other than a place marker)
Apr 21, 2017 9:47 PM
Jul 2018
Pirating_Ninja said:
Lord_Sithis said:
So in other words, the "mind" comes from nothing - it is not a product of neuronal connections in the brain, but rather some nonexistent nothingness?
The mind is a product of neuronal connections in the brain, that's a proven fact. But I don't see it as a completely physical thing. I mean, it is physical, but it has meaning behind that, it's more complex than just electric signals in the brain for me to consider it just that.
Apr 21, 2017 9:49 PM

Nov 2009
Lord_Sithis said:
Pirating_Ninja said:
So in other words, the "mind" comes from nothing - it is not a product of neuronal connections in the brain, but rather some nonexistent nothingness?
The mind is a product of neuronal connections in the brain, that's a proven fact. But I don't see it as a completely physical thing. I mean, it is physical, but it has meaning behind that, it's more complex than just electric signals in the brain for me to consider it just that.
"Just electrical signals" - Do you have any idea how complicated the brain truly is? And yet while acknowledging the mind as a product of the physical brain, you don't think that variations in the physical brain could influence cognition? (i.e. the mind)
Apr 21, 2017 9:52 PM
Jul 2018
Pirating_Ninja said:
Lord_Sithis said:
"Just electrical signals" - Do you have any idea how complicated the brain truly is? And yet while acknowledging the mind as a product of the physical brain, you don't think that variations in the physical brain could influence cognition?
I know how complicated the brain is, but they're just electrical signals. And yes, variations in the physical brain influence cognition. But mental illnesses are not physical. Unless you got it due to an injury, mental illnesses are entirely in the "imagination" so to say. The subconscious would be a better word I guess.
Apr 21, 2017 10:00 PM

Nov 2009
Lord_Sithis said:
Pirating_Ninja said:
"Just electrical signals" - Do you have any idea how complicated the brain truly is? And yet while acknowledging the mind as a product of the physical brain, you don't think that variations in the physical brain could influence cognition?
I know how complicated the brain is, but they're just electrical signals. And yes, variations in the physical brain influence cognition. But mental illnesses are not physical. Unless you got it due to an injury, mental illnesses are entirely in the "imagination" so to say. The subconscious would be a better word I guess.
Kind of different, contradictory statements going on here:

1) knowing how complicated the brain is and "they're just electrical signals" is a stupid thought process (yes, objectively stupid) - Neurons form synapses with thousands of other neurons - which when talking about the neuron-dense brain puts the number extremely high. Why this is relevant is that our brain is not a computer, signals are not either 0 or 1, the variation in signals (that we know of) in many neurons can be in the hundreds. (If mental states were separate from the physical brain, drugs would not be capable of affecting "the mind" in any way whatsoever - I dare you to test said theory by drinking a fifth of vodka and driving down the freeway. Good luck)

2) Variations in the brain (physical) can alter cognition, but mental illnesses (i.e. which include an abnormalities in cognition) is not physical? Contradictory.

3) Mental illness = imagination; Imagination is something that is conscious

4) Subconscious = better word for imagination? Really?
Pirating_NinjaApr 21, 2017 10:03 PM
Apr 21, 2017 10:05 PM

Oct 2013
that they are bad? it's like asking what do you think of autoimmune diseases
Apr 21, 2017 10:05 PM
Jul 2018
Pirating_Ninja said:
Lord_Sithis said:
Kind of different, contradictory statements going on here:

1) knowing how complicated the brain is and "they're just electrical signals" is a stupid thought process (yes, objectively stupid) - Neurons form synapses with thousands of other neurons - which when talking about the neuron-dense brain puts the number extremely high. Why this is relevant is that our brain is not a computer, signals are not either 0 or 1, the variation in signals (that we know of) in many neurons can be in the hundreds. (If mental states were separate from the physical brain, drugs would not be capable of affecting "the mind" in any way whatsoever - I dare you to test said theory by drinking a fifth of vodka and driving down the freeway. Good luck)

2) Variations in the brain (physical) can alter cognition, but mental illnesses (i.e. an abnormality in cognition) is not physical? Contradictory.

3) Mental illness = imagination; Imagination is something that is conscious

4) Subconscious = better word for imagination? Really?
1) I didn't mean "they're just electrical signs" in a way that would dismiss that complex process. But they're really just electrical signs, that's what they are.

2) I don't see how that is contradictory. Consciousness is a physical thing? Because mental illnesses are rooted in the subconscious.

3) Again, that's why I used quotes, because I know it's not the proper word, I used it for convenience.

4) Refer to point 3.
Apr 21, 2017 10:07 PM
Jul 2018
yeah it's real
i have a pretty rare mental illness myself that i CAUGHT.. yes CAUGHT. i wasn't born with it.

i kinda overdosed on 2c-e, an experimental hallucinogen, back in 2006. I've had something called HPPD, hallucinogenic persisting perception disorder ever since.

a lot of people experience the same thing after taking hallucinogens, but it usually fazes out after a short while. i eventually gave up on it ever completely going away after the first year. 10 years later the visual snow is just as troublesome as it ever was. there are many other problems that came with it, but i'd rather not talk about it that much. my main annoyance that came with it is something i call synchronicity. it's when i confuse reality and fiction due to coincidences.
Apr 21, 2017 10:10 PM

Apr 2017
mental illnesses are real wtf, imbalance in chemicals and stuff yeah. then add in stuff like dementia and shit. like yeah the physical changes the mental, thats the point
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Apr 21, 2017 10:10 PM

Jul 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
PrimeX said:
I actually got diagnosed with social anxiety. That was 3 years ago I think. I don't actually believe it I think that doctor was quack, trying to sell me cheap drugs which I don't know if they're legit or not and I wouldn't know cause I didn't try them. Though looking online the symptoms match me like 80%, but I just really like to think I'm just shy and introverted.

Have you tried a psychotherapist? These problems aren't physical things. That's why psychiatry can be ridiculous. Psychology can be a bit more helpful in understanding these problems.
I'm too busy or lazy to visit a a doctor regarding an illness I believe I don't have and that even if I do it has very little to no effect on my life. Thanks for the concern though.
Apr 21, 2017 10:28 PM
Jul 2018
PrimeX said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Have you tried a psychotherapist? These problems aren't physical things. That's why psychiatry can be ridiculous. Psychology can be a bit more helpful in understanding these problems.
I'm too busy or lazy to visit a a doctor regarding an illness I believe I don't have and that even if I do it has very little to no effect on my life. Thanks for the concern though.

it might be true that you have social anxiety, but it's just as likely you'd be better off without any drugs that so-called fix it. if you don't feel like you want or need drugs to fix it, then you probably don't.
don't blame the guy for doing his job when you went to him for help.
Apr 21, 2017 10:47 PM

Jul 2013
jarring said:
PrimeX said:

it might be true that you have social anxiety, but it's just as likely you'd be better off without any drugs that so-called fix it. if you don't feel like you want or need drugs to fix it, then you probably don't.
I'm not blaming anyone what are you on about?
Apr 21, 2017 10:56 PM

Dec 2010
TheBrainintheJar said:
Are you against psychiatric drugs or against therapy?

Someone can have depression, and by being aware of that he's aware of his limits and understands his failures better. He also can think what he needs to do. Some people can deal with one social event per week. Others with depression may need more to deal with it.

I am not against either. I am also not against just sucking it the fuck up and getting over it.
And depression is no different that, say being addicted to something.

Knowing about, thinking about, medicating or getting therapy for it doesn't do jack squat till you are ready to -deal- with it. So many people seem to think that being depressed is out of their control, and for some I would agree. For the rest, they just don't want to change what needs to be changed.
It might be the people you are around. It might be your outlook, hell it could just be that their lives suck and instead of feeling sorry for yourself, accept it, and move on.

Most therapy is about accepting things. Learning to recognize what you can change, and to accept and move past the things you can't.
Apr 21, 2017 11:01 PM
Jul 2018
PrimeX said:
jarring said:

you said the doctor was quack trying to sell you drugs
Apr 21, 2017 11:10 PM

Feb 2016
I mean, in reply to your specific concerns, I don't see how that's a view that many people hold. I don't know anyone who thinks that mental illness isn't real. The APA is quite good at defining and detecting mental illness. They have the DSM and all.

As far as mental illness in general, I feel bad for those who have it in varying degrees. I hope one day we can help everyone who has any type of mental illness, but for now, we still have to get over the hurdle of people being incredibly unsupportive and indifferent to mental illness. It's bad enough when it's the ones you love, but it's also pretty bad in general. I think in recent times, it has been proven more and more than mental illness isn't just a "private" issue that needs to stay behind closed doors. It can have severe consequences for us all and United States lives that reality annually when they experience mass murders done by mentally insane people. And they will keep experiencing these issues if something doesn't change.

There is also another aspect relating how much mental illness actually exists and whether we are being misdiagnosed too much. For instance, (not you in particular OP) we saw a surge in the last 20 years of children being misdiagnosed on mass with ADHD when they were in fact just going through normal paces of childhood. There are also talks of misdiagnosing and medicalizing depression when it is in fact a common occurrence for most people at some point in their lives. Who would have thought, huh? Turns out, sometimes people feel sad when bad things happen.

It probably is a problem, especially with North America tending to over-medicate issues that really don't require medication like sleep disorders, ADHD, anxiety, depression, etc. There are stages in human lives where you might feel sad, anxious, or even disrupt your sleeping schedule. Expecting to be at the same level of mental stability is not really reasonable. But that's kind of how we live our lives today. We can't afford to be tired so we drink coffee every day, take sleeping pills before bed, and pretend like that's normal.

Apr 21, 2017 11:14 PM

Jul 2013
jarring said:
PrimeX said:

I'm not blaming her I said I think she was fake, don't know how to emphasize that it's just a subjective opinion or rather a hunch that's why I said "I think". Besides it's common to not 100% believe the doctor's diagnosis that's why people go for a "second opinion". And just to clarify because you like jumping to conclusion without knowing the full story, I didn't go to her for help, my mother did, forced me to come with her for a completely different reason that I don't want to tell nor I have to obligation to.
Apr 21, 2017 11:48 PM
Jul 2018
PrimeX said:
jarring said:

I'm not blaming her I said I think she was fake, don't know how to emphasize that it's just a subjective opinion or rather a hunch that's why I said "I think". Besides it's common to not 100% believe the doctor's diagnosis that's why people go for a "second opinion". And just to clarify because you like jumping to conclusion without knowing the full story, I didn't go to her for help, my mother did, forced me to come with her for a completely different reason that I don't want to tell nor I have to obligation to.

whatever...regardless. i understand that you might be better off without drugs, but i don't think you should be talking shit on the doc either. the "quack" doctor just sounds like an excuse to go unmedicated. you don't have to call the doctor a quack to go unmedicated is what i'm saying.
Apr 22, 2017 1:01 AM

May 2015
Regnent said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Are you against psychiatric drugs or against therapy?

Someone can have depression, and by being aware of that he's aware of his limits and understands his failures better. He also can think what he needs to do. Some people can deal with one social event per week. Others with depression may need more to deal with it.

I am not against either. I am also not against just sucking it the fuck up and getting over it.
And depression is no different that, say being addicted to something.

Knowing about, thinking about, medicating or getting therapy for it doesn't do jack squat till you are ready to -deal- with it. So many people seem to think that being depressed is out of their control, and for some I would agree. For the rest, they just don't want to change what needs to be changed.
It might be the people you are around. It might be your outlook, hell it could just be that their lives suck and instead of feeling sorry for yourself, accept it, and move on.

Most therapy is about accepting things. Learning to recognize what you can change, and to accept and move past the things you can't.

The problem with your assertion is that it has the assumption that it's easy, that you can 'just' get over it. That's why you don't hold any useful answers for people who suffer. Their lives are already difficult. If you start from a different basis - that life is not that difficult - you got nothing to talk to them about. You must confront the difficulty.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 22, 2017 9:57 AM

Dec 2010
TheBrainintheJar said:
The problem with your assertion is that it has the assumption that it's easy, that you can 'just' get over it. That's why you don't hold any useful answers for people who suffer. Their lives are already difficult. If you start from a different basis - that life is not that difficult - you got nothing to talk to them about. You must confront the difficulty.

And your problem is with your assertion that it has to be hard.

Don't get me wrong, many people have truly difficult issues to deal with. People can be faced with seemingly insurmountable problems.

But we can get bogged down by the smallest issues that we.. allow to turn into something they are not.

I have spent the past 10 years recovering from destroying my credit. Unable to purchase a van when mine died. Unable to purchase a home. Not always able to provide everything I want my family to have. We have had miscarriages, our oldest son turned out to be a real piece of work and nearly tore our family apart. I burned down our kitchen, with no insurance. etc.
Hell, I packed up our family of 8, 10 years ago to make changes. We couldn't make ends meet. So I decided it was time to move.

Sorry, but I figured out that there are things I can change, and things I cannot, or will not when I was around 19. I don't focus on how hard something is, it's self defeating. I am far more concerned about what I need to do to get past it, and that's all. Do or don't. Funny thing is, I don't consider the life I've had to be hard. Yes it's sucked at times, yes there's been challenges. Yes, I have been depressed.

And yes, I do have something to talk to them about. I've managed to move past most of my problems. There is no magic answer for everyone's problem. No miracle drug that makes your life better.
I am just saying that one of the best and solid starting points is your attitude, and that is from experience.
Apr 22, 2017 3:41 PM

May 2015
Regnent said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

And your problem is with your assertion that it has to be hard.

Don't get me wrong, many people have truly difficult issues to deal with. People can be faced with seemingly insurmountable problems.

But we can get bogged down by the smallest issues that we.. allow to turn into something they are not.

I have spent the past 10 years recovering from destroying my credit. Unable to purchase a van when mine died. Unable to purchase a home. Not always able to provide everything I want my family to have. We have had miscarriages, our oldest son turned out to be a real piece of work and nearly tore our family apart. I burned down our kitchen, with no insurance. etc.
Hell, I packed up our family of 8, 10 years ago to make changes. We couldn't make ends meet. So I decided it was time to move.

Sorry, but I figured out that there are things I can change, and things I cannot, or will not when I was around 19. I don't focus on how hard something is, it's self defeating. I am far more concerned about what I need to do to get past it, and that's all. Do or don't. Funny thing is, I don't consider the life I've had to be hard. Yes it's sucked at times, yes there's been challenges. Yes, I have been depressed.

And yes, I do have something to talk to them about. I've managed to move past most of my problems. There is no magic answer for everyone's problem. No miracle drug that makes your life better.
I am just saying that one of the best and solid starting points is your attitude, and that is from experience.

"I went through X, Y, Z which are all clearly empirical and specific. I know depression".

No you don't.

PTSD isn't war. War is a specific, empirical thing you can observe. PTSD is the experience of being, something deeply personal and inner. All you do is tell me about your experience, instead of listening to others. Maybe you should stop thinking how hard you had it and listen to how others experience life.
Apr 22, 2017 3:50 PM

Sep 2009
Most mental illnesses are just outliers to the "normal" psychological dispositions. Some are caused by actual physiological irregularities though, which I would consider an illness.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Apr 23, 2017 1:12 AM

Dec 2010
TheBrainintheJar said:
"I went through X, Y, Z which are all clearly empirical and specific. I know depression".

No you don't.

heh. That just makes me smile in amusement.

TheBrainintheJar said:
PTSD isn't war. War is a specific, empirical thing you can observe. PTSD is the experience of being, something deeply personal and inner. All you do is tell me about your experience, instead of listening to others. Maybe you should stop thinking how hard you had it and listen to how others experience life.

What in the hell? If we're discussing depression, lets stay on that topic.
Apr 23, 2017 1:32 AM

Oct 2016
The first step to cure mental illness is to realize you have one. It can be a simple anxiety or a serious schizophrenia. IMO, yours is still on early stage and easily approachable with real social interaction (family/friends).

Mental illness is not just an imagination though, left untreated.. it might get worsen. You can act normal and play healthy but that's the scary part. Don't wait til you finally break down and hurt someone. (or yourself)

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Apr 23, 2017 1:32 AM

Feb 2015
I dunno about you but I'm sure it is not a physical illness... Meh.. I dunno never had someone like that to be honest, or met them, or talked to them...
Apr 23, 2017 4:11 AM
Jul 2018
mental illnesses are in our heads,literally,that's why they are called "mental"
Apr 23, 2017 5:05 PM
Jul 2018
Moneypenny said:
Lord_Sithis said:

That's not entirely true. Hypothyroidism (an underactive thyroid) can cause depression. Usually if it's treated with meds to boost your thyroid hormone levels the depressions will vanish. Of course depression can have other non-physical causes as well, but I just wanted to point out that your statement is faulty.
I know it can be caused by physical things, like damage to the brain. But a lot of the time it isn't physical.
Apr 23, 2017 7:59 PM

Aug 2013
Mental illness is something you conquer. Everybody battles mental illness and some of us are more affected. This is the reality.

You should battle to block your symptoms.
Apr 23, 2017 11:35 PM
Jul 2018
Lord_Sithis said:

by any chance, have you ever heard of somatoform disorders? wherein mental disorder actually leads to physical symptoms? and no, hypochondria is not the only phenomena to fall underneath this category. there is actual, documented definitions for these that extend beyond the premise of "disorder of the month, I saw it on a televised commercial, and now I'm trying to get six doctors to diagnose it".

if severe enough, mental symptoms can potentially lead to physical unwellness, it's no laughing matter.
Apr 24, 2017 5:21 AM
Jul 2018
spuukiebuugi said:
Lord_Sithis said:

by any chance, have you ever heard of somatoform disorders? wherein mental disorder actually leads to physical symptoms? and no, hypochondria is not the only phenomena to fall underneath this category. there is actual, documented definitions for these that extend beyond the premise of "disorder of the month, I saw it on a televised commercial, and now I'm trying to get six doctors to diagnose it".

if severe enough, mental symptoms can potentially lead to physical unwellness, it's no laughing matter.
I have. Somatoform disorders is one of the reasons why I'm saying that mental illnesses aren't really physical. They can cause physical harm, but they're not physical. Unless you go by the extremely materialist approach and say that the mind is just electrical signals in the brain, our thoughts are purely physical, etc.
Apr 24, 2017 12:55 PM

May 2015
Regnent said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

No you don't.

heh. That just makes me smile in amusement.

TheBrainintheJar said:

What in the hell? If we're discussing depression, lets stay on that topic.

I'm outlining the difference between the general definition of mental illness, and what you count as suffering. Notice how you focus on empirical things, yet not all suffering is this empirical. Some of it is deeply personal, a thing of perception, of identity, of worldview. Not all suffering is directly physical.

See PTSD. A man with PTSD, on the outside, looks fun. Due to the events causing PTSD, it affects their whole experience of being.
Apr 24, 2017 1:06 PM

Jun 2015
Institutionalize yourself.

But what do I think about mental illness?

It makes it easier to hurt people their feelings so ehm I don't mind.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Apr 24, 2017 1:26 PM

Jun 2011
spuukiebuugi said:
Erg_Orgy said:
All I'm gonna say is that tumblr is slowly ruining the credibility of mental illnesses, which is an objectively bad thing since there are people out there who'd seriously need some help in that regard, considering they aren't just self-diagnosed attention whores.

To be fair, self diagnosis is harmful if done without intervention, but one taking self diagnosis to a shrink and actually discovering whether it's said issue or not using DSM criteria and the like, could at least potentially result in treatment for the patient.

The problem is, tumblr is full of histrionic teenagers whose entitlement levels have led to such delusions of bigheadedness that, if they actually have a problem, they'll insist on not going to a shrink to keep themselves "le oppressed" and "le disordered" to the extent where it's "cool".

When I was a tumblrina I did have mental issues, mutliiple mental issues, some estimated and some long standing, but the site discouraging treatment for them, and the new issue I was diagnosed with after deleting my blog, smartening up- actively harmed my mental state in the long run. I did discover that after years of hypothesizing, that i had a mood disorder, but it wasn't tumblr that at all aided me in treatment for it. They just convinced me to be a bitch and a scourge upon whomever I interacted with. If anything. Dumblr's mindset isn't healthy towards sane people, forget about the mentally ill, but unfortunately is a place where for many, many, kids, they feel a false sense of conformity in allowing their difficulties to grow and fester rather than to resolve them.

I did much the same thing WHILE trying to get treatment. People on Tumblr were in two camps. People who didn't believe me because I wasn't properly diagnosed. People who believed me because you believe everyone on the internet.

I have apparently something quiet complicated going on...because I was diagnosed with something else with EVERY new psych I saw. And now I have been assessed but the assessment was not completed fully and they needed more meetings than they thought they would to figure out what was going on...

But between my new psych and therapist... they think that I might have a developmental disorder which causes depression because I have a developmental disorder and that happens when you can't communicate well.... I did test positive for low executive functioning.

And that controls a number of things which could have lead so many to believe I had so many different things.... I currently identify with autism because welp, I get invited to a lot of autism groups even before it was even suggested to me that I have a developmental disorder. And people who meet me who are girls in particular who have the disorder see me as having autism.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Apr 24, 2017 1:41 PM

Jan 2009
a lot of people claim that mentally sick people are just weak and/or lazy

the lazy part has some truth to it and scientists calls it this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avolition
Apr 24, 2017 7:38 PM

Dec 2014
Lord_Sithis said:
Wrong.

They are medically treated as illness, disorders or even diseases. Some, if not most of them are because of CHEMICAL IMBALANCES in your brain. That's why there are medicines/drugs for the control of them.
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Apr 24, 2017 7:45 PM

Dec 2014
Anyways OT: Unfortutally in your society, people think that mental disorder are just a random thing in your mind and that doing non-therapical things would help you with it, like that ignorant religious father saying for you to go to church. Mental disorders are serious problems, and it's part of your health like anything else, you should take care of it, you could be destroying yourself, your mental health, and possibily your physical health as well. If it was not serious, there would not be MEDICAL doctors, that have specialization on the area of psychiatry to take care of them.
When will it take for people to understand that?
Apr 24, 2017 7:51 PM
Jul 2018
Frag- said:
Lord_Sithis said:
Wrong.

They are medically treated as illness, disorders or even diseases. Some, if not most of them are because of CHEMICAL IMBALANCES in your brain. That's why there are medicines/drugs for the control of them.
FAR from "some, if not most of them" are because of that. They're mostly just because of the person's unstable mental health at that point, which can be due to many many things that aren't directly related to chemical imbalances.
Apr 24, 2017 8:04 PM

Dec 2014
Lord_Sithis said:
Frag- said:
Wrong.

FAR from "some, if not most of them" are because of that. They're mostly just because of the person's unstable mental health at that point, which can be due to many many things that aren't directly related to chemical imbalances.
Chemical imbalances is the reason of some mental disorder, it's a bad function in your brain causing them, near logic could go to any other illness. You can't generelize things.
And yes, they ARE treated as disorders, wether you like it or not. I don't really know why you care about that, lol
Apr 24, 2017 8:50 PM
Jul 2018
Frag- said:
Lord_Sithis said:
Chemical imbalances is the reason of some mental disorder, it's a bad function in your brain causing them, near logic could go to any other illness. You can't generelize things.
And yes, they ARE treated as disorders, wether you like it or not. I don't really know why you care about that, lol
I don't care about that. What I don't know if why you care about what I care for, since you quoted me in the first place, but oh well... I know they're treated as disorders, they're just not an infection or a broken ribcage, it's mental.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 6 hours ago

11 by vasipi4946 »»
22 minutes ago

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 5 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
27 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 3 hours ago

0 by _Nette_ »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - 11 hours ago

18 by deg »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » In the future there will be battles for love between species from other planets(theory)

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

10 by Dracowyn »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.