Forum Settings
Forums

Does anyone else getting tired of super perfect mc's?

New
Apr 21, 2017 9:31 AM

Aug 2015
You know those characters who are perfect are everything they do, are insanely attractive, are badass and cool as F*** and have everyone flocking to their knees in love and appreciation and are in general PERFECT in every way.

For me it was cool at first to see such amazing characters being badasses and owning everything and all. but after a while of constant animes after animes of the same perfect mc's that makes you feel inadequate, I am getting tired of over-the-top op characters.
It would be soo refreshing for a character to have a few flaws ( still competent ) and isn't too perfect all the time so more people could relate.
Do you agree? what are your thoughts?

TeyzoneApr 22, 2017 9:13 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 21, 2017 9:33 AM

Jul 2015
im more tired of those retard brainless mcs who can't chose the best girl

Apr 21, 2017 9:37 AM

Apr 2017
Surely... That OP.. Shitty Gary Stu.. Kirito with zero yet NEGATIVE DEVELOPMENT fits here..

Getting sicked of this crappy character already.. But some casuals Love it.. Blah Blah blah..

Le'ts just say that Sandwich-kun.. is the victor he're xD
-HippySnob-Apr 21, 2017 9:46 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Apr 21, 2017 9:39 AM

Feb 2013
not really.. both because they are not that common, and because i'm ok with this trope

my initial thought when reading the title was Special A, which i think did the perfect character thing very nicely
or Sakamoto kun who is really cool :D

wish you'd give some examples too though
maybe you should avoid action genre in the future..
Apr 21, 2017 9:39 AM

Feb 2016
tragedydesu said:

This guy knows what he's talking about. The latest example of a dumbass like this would be Masamune's Revenge. Neko is clearly top waifu material.
Apr 21, 2017 9:40 AM

Jan 2013
What? Is this even this common? I see such MCs very rarely. Watch better anime or sth.
Apr 21, 2017 9:41 AM

Feb 2015
I do agree that flawless MC are boring, I'll always prefer some bratty teen to the ones like Jesus Onii-sama Tatsuya.
Apr 21, 2017 9:42 AM

Mar 2014
You're talking about Gary Stus/Mary Sues and yes, plenty of us are sick of them. They are a major point of poor writing.

The self-insert aspect of these characters appeal to a lot of people who watch anime. The anime fan base has no shortage of the quiet and socially awkward types (a Japanese archetype in the 21st century), so here anime comes along and these people get to become badasses by living vicariously through the protagonist.
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
By what seems to be the current definition, every MC who isn't glaringly incompetent or doesn't suffer to absurd lengths is just called a perfect MC and has all of the traits listed in the first sentence of the OP wrongfully ascribed to them, so I don't really give a shit one way or the other.

But even brushing that aside, I'd rather have somebody who's hypercompetent and beloved by all, i.e. a Tatsuya Shiba type MC, over some whiny twat like Subaru. So meh.

Oct 2013
if you mean characters like Sakamoto

then no not really considering I don't really watch shows like that
Apr 21, 2017 9:43 AM

Oct 2012
yeah fuck those characters, wimpy whiny MCs are the best
Apr 21, 2017 9:44 AM

Dec 2013
So, most trashy light novels really. Most MCs there are just stupid self inserts for fourteen-year-olds who want to be super cool and perfect
Apr 21, 2017 9:45 AM

Sep 2014
As long as the character isn't a degenerate I'm fine with it. Though I don't think that trope is very common it seems a lot of popular anime have a character like that so I can see why you would think it's common.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Apr 21, 2017 9:46 AM

Apr 2016
fuyuki said:
What? Is this even this common? I see such MCs very rarely. Watch better anime or sth.

They are really common and annoying. The best way to avoid that bs is CGDCT in an all girl universe :3
Apr 21, 2017 9:58 AM

Jul 2013
I don't know, apart of Kirito and Onii-sama, I haven't watched those much series with Gary Stu MC.
Apr 21, 2017 10:02 AM

Jan 2017
A week ago people where complaining about those so called 'beta' MCs and that anime has way too many of them. Now this. Anime community is a very awesome community.
Apr 21, 2017 10:05 AM

Nov 2016
They suck unless that's somehow part of a joke.
Apr 21, 2017 10:08 AM

Aug 2016
No.
If the staff knows how to create interesting battles from overpowered MCs, I strongly promote the idea actually.

Feb 2013
zumac said:
A week ago people where complaining about those so called 'beta' MCs and that anime has way too many of them. Now this. Anime community is a very awesome community.
DAE le anime community is a single person? xD xD fuk this "people" person amirite
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Still better than very oblivious MC who is allergic to the body of girl

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥

Oct 2014
tbh even more mainstream are the mc that can't do a thing.

I guess both are okay as long as there's proper development.
I mean: they don't completely stay the way they were.
Apr 21, 2017 10:10 AM

Jul 2015
OneNaughtyBear said:
tragedydesu said:

This guy knows what he's talking about. The latest example of a dumbass like this would be Masamune's Revenge. Neko is clearly top waifu material.

true , she was the best waifu in this serie
Apr 21, 2017 10:13 AM

Jul 2014
This wave of nigh-flawless male LN protags feels like a response to the old prototypical "wimpy-loser-MC surrounded by hot woman" cliche that was once popular. Honestly, both extremes are fucking stupid and offputting. Is it that hard for authors to write good characters without resorting to some form of pandering?
Apr 21, 2017 10:14 AM

Jan 2017
romagia said:
zumac said:
DAE le anime community is a single person? xD xD fuk this "people" person amirite

Alot of them were complaining, not just a single person. Writing like an idiot doesn't make you cooler, sorry fam.
Apr 21, 2017 10:14 AM

Feb 2016
I dislike beta male characters that cries over everything (unless they have a decent back story and great development, for example Simon, from Gurren lagann, he was a bit coward at first, but then he becomes a complete badass)

about perfect characters, if they act like they are gods or feel superior over everything I tend to hate them. But if they are perfect, but complains to be perfect (Like Saiki Kunio) then that's completely different
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 21, 2017 10:18 AM

Apr 2010
Next week: "Is anyone else getting tired of beta male MCs?"
Apr 21, 2017 10:21 AM

Feb 2013
zumac said:
romagia said:

Alot of them were complaining, not just a single person. Writing like an idiot doesn't make you cooler, sorry fam.
cant tell how deliberate it was, but
Apr 21, 2017 10:22 AM

May 2014
Cirno9 said:
fuyuki said:

They are really common and annoying. The best way to avoid that bs is CGDCT in an all girl universe :3

This guy knows what he's talking about.
Apr 21, 2017 10:27 AM

Mar 2015
I wonder where op noticed this Gary Stu epidemic. Apart from Kirito and Onii sama, there is hardly any. And no, comedy anime doesn't count.
Apr 21, 2017 10:34 AM

Jun 2013
Next week you will see someone whining about weak ass useless mc's, circle of life.
Apr 21, 2017 10:35 AM

Nov 2014
Sakamoto is about to school you on the art of super perfect mc's

No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Apr 21, 2017 10:37 AM

Apr 2016
Then Re:Zero is the perfect anime for you.
Apr 21, 2017 10:41 AM

Nov 2014
Deknijff said:
if you mean characters like Sakamoto

then no not really considering I don't really watch shows like that

shit you beat me to it xD

guess i should have checked comments before making my comment
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Apr 21, 2017 10:41 AM

Jan 2017
antonn said:

You have missed it already. Probably gonna be a thread like this anyway again.
Apr 21, 2017 10:44 AM

Jan 2016
I can't think of an anime with perfect mc from the recent ones i watched.

Are they so popular?
Apr 21, 2017 10:52 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
tragedydesu said:
OneNaughtyBear said:

true , she was the best waifu in this serie

tbh I think Neko is the real winner so I don't mind at all

I mean she didn't end up with Masamune

that's the real victory in this particular case

Apr 21, 2017 10:55 AM

Aug 2015
antonn said:

So something like this?

You know those characters who are hopeless at everything they do; are very unpopular, wimpy and useless as F*** and is totally dependent on another character.

For me it was cool at first to see such hopeless characters flounder through a series with their copious amounts of character flaws, but after a while of constant anime after anime of the same hopeless mc's that makes you cringe, I am getting tired of beta male MCs.
It would be soo refreshing for a character to have less flaws so more people could relate.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Apr 21, 2017 11:06 AM

Jul 2015
@Manaban
i appreciate that the author tried to give him a different personality from your typical beta mcs
but he failed
that mc have a shitty personality ,also his motivation to get revenge is so stupid
even that he is a bad mc , i wanted to see neko happy with the one she loves :/

Apr 21, 2017 11:25 AM
Jul 2018
masamune's revenge was a very forgettable anime. idk why people are still talking about it.
Apr 21, 2017 1:01 PM

May 2014
NoobAsian said:
antonn said:

So something like this?

You know those characters who are hopeless at everything they do; are very unpopular, wimpy and useless as F*** and is totally dependent on another character.

For me it was cool at first to see such hopeless characters flounder through a series with their copious amounts of character flaws, but after a while of constant anime after anime of the same hopeless mc's that makes you cringe, I am getting tired of beta male MCs.
It would be soo refreshing for a character to have less flaws so more people could relate.

Well who/what else are loser beta ass otaku males in Japan are going to relate to then?
Apr 21, 2017 1:10 PM

Mar 2017
Manaban said:
By what seems to be the current definition, every MC who isn't glaringly incompetent or doesn't suffer to absurd lengths is just called a perfect MC and has all of the traits listed in the first sentence of the OP wrongfully ascribed to them, so I don't really give a shit one way or the other.

But even brushing that aside, I'd rather have somebody who's hypercompetent and beloved by all, i.e. a Tatsuya Shiba type MC, over some whiny twat like Subaru. So meh.

Interesting... The assumption in the community is that any competent character gets immediate flak.

Just purely out of curiosity, has these two ever received a lot of flak?

The anime they are in (Log Horizon and Hibike! Euphonium, respectively) are fairly recent and popular. And they are more than competent.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Apr 21, 2017 1:25 PM
May 2015
More like getting tired of every mc. He will always cringe you at some point, for a girl... let's hope she doesn't. Every anime i have come across OUT of my whole list I disliked the mc at some point, even if it was for a second.............................................................................................................................................................okay I lied. Hoshimiya Ichigo from AIKATSU (look at all my pictures) and Tanaka-kun from Tanaka-kun wa itsumo kedaruge.
Apr 21, 2017 1:31 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
le_halfhand_easy said:
Manaban said:

Interesting... The assumption in the community is that any competent character gets immediate flak.

Just purely out of curiosity, has these two ever received a lot of flak?

The anime they are in (Log Horizon and Hibike! Euphonium, respectively) are fairly recent and popular. And they are more than competent.

Mm, not that I'm aware of.

The derision of the complaint in general, at least on my end, is under the impression that many people merely apply it to stuff they dislike while willfully ignoring it in cases like Log Horizon - I can't speak for Hibeki Euphonium or the example you brought up simply because I haven't seen it and therefore know nothing about it, but if I were to attempt to enter the mindset of what I perceive to be the twisted definition of Mary Sue/Gary Stu, then I have little doubt that Shiro could be called a Gary Stu, and this is exactly the sort of thing I'm trying to poke at.

Just as a disclaimer, I personally find the standards I'm applying to Shiroe here to label him a Gary Stu to be a stretch, but just thinking about it from the perspective of a Gary Stu being this unbeatable, flawless individual who has girls falling all over him and all of that, he does kind of fall into that category.

He's got a calculating and calm demeanor and plans things out to absurd degrees that seem unfeasible for the average person his age and is able to kickstart a government and an economy all by himself, he's got more than one girl with romantic interest in him, and I cannot think of a single moment where he had a significant shortcoming he wasn't able to overcome or any sort of struggle or character flaw explored in a way that felt geniune and took away from the idea that he's this undefeatable strategist. And despite being this nice guy who does little wrong and helps people in that world more than anyone else, he's still said to be viewed in a negative light by many as this demonic logical strategist or something. That's just coming from somebody who's only seen the first season of the anime and hasn't looked into the source material at all, so keep that in mind and anything that happened past the end of S1 is currently unknown to me.

But yeah. If I look at it from that lens, how come there aren't more complaints about Shiroe being a Gary Stu? He fits the checklist people seem to like to apply, yet you're not wrong at all when you say that people don't complain about him nearly to the extent of others that fit the same criteria, more or less.

Stuff exactly like this is why it feels incredibly inconsistent in application to me. People like Log Horizon and it underplays these themes compared to something like SAO I do feel like, but...they're still present. Maybe that makes it easier for people to forgive in this case, idk. I don't really understand it much and I wouldn't be opposed at all to a counter-argument here.
ManabanApr 21, 2017 1:39 PM

Apr 21, 2017 1:39 PM

Mar 2017
Manaban said:

The derision of the complaint in general, at least on my end, is under the impression that many people merely apply it to stuff they dislike while willfully ignoring it in cases like Log Horizon - I can't speak for Hibeki Euphonium because I haven't seen it, but if I were to attempt to enter the mindset of what I perceive to be the twisted definition of Mary Sue/Gary Stu, then I have little doubt that Shiro could be called a Gary Stu, and this is exactly the sort of thing I'm trying to poke at.

Just as a disclaimer, I personally do not find it to be the case and I do like the character, but just think about it: He's got a calculating and calm demeanor and plans things out to absurd degrees that seem unfeasible for the average person his age, he's got more than one girl with romantic interest in him, and I cannot think of a single moment where he had a significant shortcoming he wasn't able to overcome or any sort of struggle or character flaw explored in a way that felt geniune and took away from the idea that he's this undefeatable strategist. That's just coming from somebody who's only seen the first season of the anime and hasn't looked into the source material at all, so keep that in mind and anything that happened past the end of S1 is currently unknown to me.

But yeah. If I look at it from that lens, how come there aren't more complaints about Shiroe being a Gary Stu? He fits the checklist people seem to like to apply, yet you're not wrong at all when you say that people don't complain about him.

Stuff exactly like this is why it feels incredibly inconsistent in application to me. People like Log Horizon and it underplays these themes compared to something like SAO I do feel like, but...they're still present. Maybe that makes it easier for people to forgive in this case, idk.

Shiroe has a fairly obvious nuanced flaw actually, exploited in Season 2. He lacks communication skills. Often he makes plans and expects others to follow it through without telling them more on the what, how, and why. He often unknowingly keeps his allies on the dark which leads to problems since he doesn't know everything and when something goes wrong they have to constantly turn to him. They can't help him even when they know how to because he keeps them at bay.
Apr 21, 2017 1:43 PM
Jan 2016
It always makes me laugh when people call Kirito a Gary Stu, when every fight that truly mattered that he's won was with a lot of help from his companions. Every. Damn. Time. He's also seriously flawed as a character and the only thing he's really good at is VRMMORPGs. (And gathering a good harem, but that comes with being an LN protagonist, he just can't help it!)

I mean, where are people calling Sora from NGNL a Gary Stu, when he literally *never* loses other than to his sister? (Not dissing him though, one of my fav characters)
Apr 21, 2017 1:45 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
le_halfhand_easy said:
Manaban said:

The derision of the complaint in general, at least on my end, is under the impression that many people merely apply it to stuff they dislike while willfully ignoring it in cases like Log Horizon - I can't speak for Hibeki Euphonium because I haven't seen it, but if I were to attempt to enter the mindset of what I perceive to be the twisted definition of Mary Sue/Gary Stu, then I have little doubt that Shiro could be called a Gary Stu, and this is exactly the sort of thing I'm trying to poke at.

Just as a disclaimer, I personally do not find it to be the case and I do like the character, but just think about it: He's got a calculating and calm demeanor and plans things out to absurd degrees that seem unfeasible for the average person his age, he's got more than one girl with romantic interest in him, and I cannot think of a single moment where he had a significant shortcoming he wasn't able to overcome or any sort of struggle or character flaw explored in a way that felt geniune and took away from the idea that he's this undefeatable strategist. That's just coming from somebody who's only seen the first season of the anime and hasn't looked into the source material at all, so keep that in mind and anything that happened past the end of S1 is currently unknown to me.

But yeah. If I look at it from that lens, how come there aren't more complaints about Shiroe being a Gary Stu? He fits the checklist people seem to like to apply, yet you're not wrong at all when you say that people don't complain about him.

Stuff exactly like this is why it feels incredibly inconsistent in application to me. People like Log Horizon and it underplays these themes compared to something like SAO I do feel like, but...they're still present. Maybe that makes it easier for people to forgive in this case, idk.

Shiroe has a fairly obvious nuanced flaw actually, exploited in Season 2. He lacks communication skills. Often he makes plans and expects others to follow it through without telling them more on the what, how, and why. He often unknowingly keeps his allies on the dark which leads to problems since he doesn't know everything and when something goes wrong they have to constantly turn to him.

Taking this into consideration, then, what about Tatsuya Shiba? He's presented as somebody with generally poor communication skills as well. Robotic, incredibly logical and unfeeling towards anybody except his younger sister - or so it attempts to convey to the audience at isolated instances, rather, but that is the flaw it tries to play up for him on numerous occasions, but when it comes to being put into question of how he interacts with the characters around him it never comes into fruition, or at least it never felt that way to me.

Unless it goes into absolute spoiler territory - at which point I won't want to hear it simply because I do want to look into the 2nd season at some point, so if you want to argue that point and it requires being spoiler-y put it in spoilers for me or something xD - if Tatsuya Shiba's ascribed flaw of being robotic and poor at communication fails in application, what does LH make it do to not fail in Shiro's case? Anything can state something, but what can be a make-or-break factor is how it goes in application.

And I'll be honest, I'm just rolling with the flow here and giving you the benefit of the doubt because you brought it up as an S2 thing here, and I can't think of any instances where it seemed like he had communication issues in S1.
ManabanApr 21, 2017 1:49 PM

Apr 21, 2017 1:47 PM

Jan 2014
antonn said:

Let me correct you antonn

"Is anyone else getting tired of oblivious male MCS"
Apr 21, 2017 2:06 PM

Mar 2017
@Manaban

I think it's fairly interwoven with the events of the final episode and going into the 2nd season. I think during the burger arc it also played a part during his maneuvers against the crafting guilds. Not a very big one, I'm afraid.
Apr 21, 2017 2:21 PM

Apr 2017
Meh. I more tried super generic looking MC who gets the most or even the entire female cast to fall madly in love with him.
Apr 21, 2017 2:23 PM

Apr 2014
Well, if the show is written in a way, where it makes sense for the MC to be perfect, it's all fine by me...
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - Yesterday

43 by MichaelJackson »»
3 minutes ago

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 35 minutes ago

3 by Toooooooooohru »»
4 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

104 by FFandMMfan »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » How important is the art style for you

nishant0 - Apr 11

41 by SnipeStrike »»
8 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

67 by Chuckiemuffin »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.