Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 16, 2017 3:59 PM

Mar 2017
I wanna say first that i do have a mental illness adhd, ocd, anxiety, depression. i have met alot of people that also have mental illness but i have met others that says mental illness is just are imagination and is all in are heads. What do you think ? I think it is an Illness because i have suffered from it my entire life and still do till this day.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 16, 2017 4:04 PM
Jul 2018
Aside from ADHD, which I honestly believe is just over-diagnosed (before you think my judgment is out of step, know that I am currently a medical student and during my undergrad I studied neuroscience and cognitive neurobiology) however, depression and OCD are very much real entities of mental illness that can be quite the problematic cases. I single these two out because one has a biological disposition (meaning that it can be inherited). Now anxiety, on the other hand, can be very situational and can and tends to go away with time, depression and OCD, not so easily.
Apr 16, 2017 4:14 PM

Mar 2014
It is indeed real and needs to be treated, or y'know, bad shit tends to happen.
Apr 16, 2017 4:20 PM

May 2012
I think everyone has like 45 mental illnesses due to spending too much time online.
Apr 16, 2017 4:26 PM

Apr 2014
unless a certified doctor says it real then it is by all means imagination
but it can be tragic at times since many are put into the system and never make it out
there are even some people that give up on their own family members because of it
Apr 16, 2017 4:30 PM
Jul 2018
I'm a mental mess who you don't wanna aspire to be. I've been in and out of shrinking since I was a child. Not my fault. Didn't ask for it.
Self diagnosis is bullshit in general, especially when it's done by attention seeking little brats who think it's possible to have six comorbid personality disorders. Do you even psychology, kids?

ADD/ADHD is indeed often overdiagnosed, in the early 2000s there was somewhat of an epidemic of false or very minor attention deficit disorder diagnosis' that resulted in kids basically being put on medications that didn't fuckin' work properly, one of which was me, by the way. Since, they've somewhat resolved their ways, but if you go to a shitty psychologist there's a good chance that they'll either give you an addictive medication or an ADHD/ADD medication.
removed-userApr 16, 2017 4:35 PM
Apr 16, 2017 4:34 PM

Feb 2017
I believe they are real and can become pretty serious if they're left to get worse.

I think what makes a lot of people believe they're just your imagination and aren't real is because there's a lot of people who claim to have certain mental illnesses, but really don't and are just self-diagnosing based on 1 or 2 (common) symptoms that matched what came up on google. I used to know a lot of people who did that. I even knew people who self-diagnosed schizophrenia and other more complicated mental disorders by taking online quizzes.
But I think when people see a lot of people making these things up and just claiming they have something the internet told them they have, it's harder for them to believe people who actually have it and they start to think that it's either not really that bad or isn't even real to begin with.
Apr 16, 2017 4:34 PM

Jan 2013
I don't even understand why some people say mental illnesses aren't real.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Apr 16, 2017 4:43 PM
Mar 2017
Mental illnesses do not exist. Read Thomas Szasz for reference and more information. You only think you are mentally ill because you are mentally weak or been deluded to think you have this illness based on their "symptoms" they have decided to discern you as person. Mental weakness is different from being mentally disordered (which doesn't exist unless we are talking about biological, neurological brain diseases like Alzheimer's).

Things like schizophrenia, ADHD, paedophilia, and any other diagnosis are just behaviours thought of socially unacceptable or inappropriate, so we think of them as mental illness, but they aren't.

That isn't to say every human is mentally normal and the same. Some are weaker and less fit than others. This is the sad truth of Darwinist biology. Learn to live with understanding yourself weak. Many others are no exception. I myself have been diagnosed too, but the moment I realized it was all nonsense, I was freed from my cage of evil psychiatrists testing me like a lab rat.
Apr 16, 2017 4:43 PM

Nov 2009
Theworstshow said:
Aside from ADHD, which I honestly believe is just over-diagnosed (before you think my judgment is out of step, know that I am currently a medical student and during my undergrad I studied neuroscience and cognitive neurobiology) however, depression and OCD are very much real entities of mental illness that can be quite the problematic cases. I single these two out because one has a biological disposition (meaning that it can be inherited). Now anxiety, on the other hand, can be very situational and can and tends to go away with time, depression and OCD, not so easily.

All of the mental disorders you listed can technically be "inherited" to some extent (not surprisingly) -

OCD --> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3181951/
Depression --> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3077049/
Anxiety --> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9989561
ADHD --> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3449233/

I wouldn't know the rate of people who are "cured" of anxiety severe enough to be classified as a disorder, but I'd imagine that rates are similar to that of depression being severe enough to be classified as a disorder (although medication for depression is a lot more successful than that for Anxiety in most cases). I have not read any literature that would suggest otherwise as Anxiety and Depression are relatively similar in terms of onset and course (as well as underlying biological predispositions - although what specifically those dispositions are I can say for certainty that anyone claiming to know them is lying through their teeth)
Apr 16, 2017 4:44 PM

Apr 2017
I have OCD. I had to get special permission to move off campus mid school year when I was still an undergraduate because two suite mates were studying abroad for the spring semester and I could not be placed with the incoming strangers since the living arrangement would worsen my phobias. I would not consider OCD to not be a real illness.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Apr 16, 2017 4:57 PM

Mar 2008
Mental illness is real but how it is categorized is just unscientific grouping of symptoms not causes.

Ginniyuriham said:
Mental illnesses do not exist. Read Thomas Szasz for reference and more information. You only think you are mentally ill because you are mentally weak or been deluded to think you have this illness based on their "symptoms" they have decided to discern you as person. Mental weakness is different from being mentally disordered (which doesn't exist unless we are talking about biological, neurological brain diseases like Alzheimer's).

Things like schizophrenia, ADHD, paedophilia, and any other diagnosis are just behaviours thought of socially unacceptable or inappropriate, so we think of them as mental illness, but they aren't.

That isn't to say every human is mentally normal and the same. Some are weaker and less fit than others. This is the sad truth of Darwinist biology. Learn to live with understanding yourself weak. Many others are no exception. I myself have been diagnosed too, but the moment I realized it was all nonsense, I was freed from my cage of evil psychiatrists testing me like a lab rat.

What a load of bullshit. It's already been proven that there is genetic, neurological, and physiological traits associated with all of those that you listed. Also undesirable traits is how mental illness is defined to begin with so you're only making a semantic argument at most.
traedApr 16, 2017 5:09 PM
Apr 16, 2017 5:00 PM

Mar 2017
kamisu said:
i have had a history with mental illnesses, and i understand how horrible it feels when people tell you that it's all just your imagination.
but then again, i hate when people use their mental illnesses over and over again as an excuse or to get attention or pity etc.
I agree 100% it is not something used as an excuse. The only time its an excuse is if your actually at the doctors because of it. I work everyday i am medicated but i never use it as an excuse because its wrong.
Apr 16, 2017 5:13 PM

Oct 2016
Ginniyuriham said:

And the award for the most ridiculous comment to ever be posted anywhere ever goes to...
Apr 16, 2017 5:34 PM
Mar 2017
traed said:
What a load of bullshit. It's already been proven that there is genetic, neurological, and physiological traits associated with all of those that you listed.
No, there hasn't. All there has been found in terms of genes are some found in all those diagnosed and, via confirmation bias, concluded that it is related to their "mental illness." It's called statistics and it's flawed.

Let me draw a scenario, it's far-fetched but we are anime watchers here so you spare me the disturbing look, let's imagine two instances of an adult father and a child daughter having a sexual, romantic relationship to each other and getting a child together. Obviously there might be biological disorders, but the mental disorders added up are bogus. If the child seems "mentally ill" it is because he was brought up in a very hostile environment of where the father raped his own daughter to get the child and the child (let's assume he is free from biological errors) raises up in such a place. What will happen to him? He would be called mentally ill.

But if the father and daughter had a healthy sexual relationship and births a child like an average family and raise the child. There woudn't be anything wrong with the child.

However, the first scenario is a much more reported case, so psychiatrists conclude with confirmation bias and make false correlations.

Don't conflate social constructions with the scientific reality.
traed said:
Also undesirable traits is how mental illness is defined to begin
Yes, and that is its very flaw to begin with. How do you define "undesirable"? You define it by morality, and morality is subjective and has nothing to do with science and psychiatry. Why is it a mental illness to be a paedophile, but neither a mental illness to be either a homosexual or a rapist? That's an example of the many discrepancies found in psychiatry.

Also, please explain "culture-bound mental illnesses"? So me being born into the Chinese culture gives me a "mental illness" that no other but a culturally Chinese person can get? Spare me the nonsense. Psychiatry is as much science as alchemy. It's a pseudo-science.
traed said:
so you're only making a semantic argument at most.
I by no means meant that we should call "mentally ill" people "mentally weak" and then I'm satisfied. I was saying the people admitting to have these diagnoses because their doctors told them so are naive, too uncritical thinking (better way to have phrased it than mentally weak). In other words, they are too ignorant and too easily manipulated to think they have a disease that doesn't exist in the first place.
Apr 16, 2017 5:51 PM
Jul 2018
Psychology is a science, you dense skeptics.
Get that through your thick, impenetrable skulls.
Apr 16, 2017 5:58 PM

May 2013
It's really a case by case basis. I don't think that just because a doctor says you're depressed you have to abide by that diagnoses, I'm not a 'take your meds and shut up' kind of guy. However, I am sure that depression is real and very serious at times.

It's really a question of how you want to fight it, also what is 'it' lol.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Apr 16, 2017 6:03 PM

Mar 2017
Ginniyuriham said:
traed said:
What a load of bullshit. It's already been proven that there is genetic, neurological, and physiological traits associated with all of those that you listed.
No, there hasn't. All there has been found in terms of genes are some found in all those diagnosed and, via confirmation bias, concluded that it is related to their "mental illness." It's called statistics and it's flawed.

Let me draw a scenario, it's far-fetched but we are anime watchers here so you spare me the disturbing look, let's imagine two instances of an adult father and a child daughter having a sexual, romantic relationship to each other and getting a child together. Obviously there might be biological disorders, but the mental disorders added up are bogus. If the child seems "mentally ill" it is because he was brought up in a very hostile environment of where the father raped his own daughter to get the child and the child (let's assume he is free from biological errors) raises up in such a place. What will happen to him? He would be called mentally ill.

But if the father and daughter had a healthy sexual relationship and births a child like an average family and raise the child. There woudn't be anything wrong with the child.

However, the first scenario is a much more reported case, so psychiatrists conclude with confirmation bias and make false correlations.

traed said:
Also undesirable traits is how mental illness is defined to begin
Yes, and that is its very flaw to begin with. How do you define "undesirable"? You define it by morality, and morality is subjective and has nothing to do with science and psychiatry. Why is it a mental illness to be a paedophile, but neither a mental illness to be either a homosexual or a rapist? That's an example of the many discrepancies found in psychiatry.

Also, please explain "culture-bound mental illnesses"? So me being born into the Chinese culture gives me a "mental illness" that no other but a culturally Chinese person can get? Spare me the nonsense. Psychiatry is as much science as alchemy. It's a pseudo-science.
traed said:
so you're only making a semantic argument at most.
I by no means meant that we should call "mentally ill" people "mentally weak" and then I'm satisfied. I was saying the people admitting to have these diagnoses because their doctors told them so are naive, too uncritical thinking (better way to have phrased it than mentally weak). In other words, they are too ignorant and too easily manipulated to think they have a disease that doesn't exist in the first place.
I was not told by the doctor till years later in middle school. because i had problems of ocd adhd, and bad axiety attacks i was medicated till i went off of them in high school and yay that did not end up well i left society and droped out of school because i was scared of my surroundings and that everything was not stright as i wanted it as. i had alot of problems until last year i went back on meds myself it took a month then after a month went by i ended up with a job. when i was off of them i had an axiety attack and left work. now a year past since my medication i started again i have been doing alot better i have a job and yes i do get axiety attacks OONLY either i forget my meds or i am really stressed out like now. It is a problem like how is SCHIZO fake reallu or dementia is that fake to NO. there both mental illness or a mental desease same thing with everything i said.
Apr 16, 2017 6:29 PM
Oct 2012
Ginniyuriham said:
In other words, they are too ignorant and too easily manipulated to think they have a disease that doesn't exist in the first place.

Interesting. In many ways I would agree. Most psychology, from Freud onward, has been quacks telling people "it's not your fault". Very seductive and lucrative profession.

That said, there are real "mental illnesses", they are just far less common.

As for "anxiety, depression, ADHD", I have all of them, I just don't think they are mental illnesses. I think the source is most likely physiological, and far from being detriments, they were, in the past, advantages. Being ADHD or highly sensitive are positive traits for hunters, they are negative traits in a sedentary lifestyle. They are not illnesses.

Of course, in an environment where you don't need these traits, sucks to be you (or me), but that doesn't make them "illnesses"

Apr 16, 2017 6:30 PM
Jul 2018
Pirating_Ninja said:
Theworstshow said:

All of the mental disorders you listed can technically be "inherited" to some extent (not surprisingly) -

I wouldn't know the rate of people who are "cured" of anxiety severe enough to be classified as a disorder, but I'd imagine that rates are similar to that of depression being severe enough to be classified as a disorder (although medication for depression is a lot more successful than that for Anxiety in most cases). I have not read any literature that would suggest otherwise as Anxiety and Depression are relatively similar in terms of onset and course (as well as underlying biological predispositions - although what specifically those dispositions are I can say for certainty that anyone claiming to know them is lying through their teeth)

Someone who actually brings out literature... I like you, be my friend, rhetorical, you are now my friend.
Apr 16, 2017 6:32 PM

Apr 2016
Seems like this thread turned into a battlefilled of some retards(excluding the ones that actually argue with sound arguments,
I better leave before I get infected with some non existent dissease, lol.
Peace.
The dearer you hold a memory the more painful it becomes.

Apr 16, 2017 7:11 PM

Aug 2007
Mental Illness is a very, very real problem in our society. One that is usually dismissed. Clinics around the country for this sort of thing are severely understaffed and underfunded, their budgets are among the first to get slashed when it comes to healthcare cost.

It's sad and incredibly frustrating. I myself suffer from chronic depression and anxiety. It hasn't gotten any easier and probably never will.

People who think mental illnesses are a joke are usually idiots or people who have been fortunate to have never experienced these kind of emotions and feelings to such an extreme degree that people like us have.

Apr 16, 2017 7:21 PM

Apr 2014
Mental illnesses are real, and getting help shouldn't be stigmatized. If you don't think they're real, you're uneducated as fuuuuuuuuuuuck.
Apr 17, 2017 2:03 AM

May 2015
My 'mental illness isn't real' comes from how mental health institutions can use it to control and categorize people. The whole idea of it implies bad things for the 'ill', an attempt to control them and normalize them instead of treating them like human beings.

I should read Foucault.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 17, 2017 2:18 AM

Jan 2009
with how complex the brain is and its wiring and chemistry then surely it can be prone to mental disorders especially in teenage years where a lot of body changes takes place

i just wish that mental disorders will finally become brain disorders too and for that to happen neuroscience and psychiatry needs to find biomarkers to finally have physical/biological/laboratory tests for mental disorders
Apr 17, 2017 6:33 AM
Mar 2017
ItsImoutoYuki said:
I was not told by the doctor till years later in middle school. because i had problems of ocd adhd, and bad axiety attacks i was medicated till i went off of them in high school and yay that did not end up well i left society and droped out of school because i was scared of my surroundings and that everything was not stright as i wanted it as. i had alot of problems until last year i went back on meds myself it took a month then after a month went by i ended up with a job. when i was off of them i had an axiety attack and left work. now a year past since my medication i started again i have been doing alot better i have a job and yes i do get axiety attacks OONLY either i forget my meds or i am really stressed out like now. It is a problem like how is SCHIZO fake reallu or dementia is that fake to NO. there both mental illness or a mental desease same thing with everything i said.
Well, good for you. But you are still not "mentally ill", you have just been exposed to the harsh reality of life. Nobody said it would be easy for you, you just naively expected it. Everyone do this, they just don't go off identifying themselves with a diagnosis.

Schizophrenia is nonsense. Thomas Szasz said it best, "If you talk to God, you are religious. If God talks to you, you are schizophrenic."
Dementia is a proven brain disease and it's not psychiatrists giving treatment, but actual qualified doctors whose expertise is on the brain (although the disease has no cure, so not much can be done unless you do a lobotomy or something which is extremely hazardous).
Takuan_Soho said:
Ginniyuriham said:
In other words, they are too ignorant and too easily manipulated to think they have a disease that doesn't exist in the first place.

Interesting. In many ways I would agree. Most psychology, from Freud onward, has been quacks telling people "it's not your fault". Very seductive and lucrative profession.

As for "anxiety, depression, ADHD", I have all of them, I just don't think they are mental illnesses. I think the source is most likely physiological, and far from being detriments, they were, in the past, advantages. Being ADHD or highly sensitive are positive traits for hunters, they are negative traits in a sedentary lifestyle. They are not illnesses.

Of course, in an environment where you don't need these traits, sucks to be you (or me), but that doesn't make them "illnesses"
I agree.

Much of what we call mental illnesses, like autism and such, are just behavioural differences, social ineptitudes, social awkwardness, as how we perceive it, but it really isn't mental illness. Some things considered inappropriate back in the days, like homosexuality, are no longer considered mental illness. Not due to any scientific conclusion drawn, they were just listed off the DSM with no hesitation because it turned out to be normal to have it now. Same thing with "Drapetomania". If all humans suddenly turned into paedophiles, it would be listed off DSM as well. The DSM is all just a bunch of "What we think are diseases IMO."

It's funny how Freud managed to spew so much nonsense back then. The problem is, however, we have not disavowed him yet. We still follow much of his leads.
Apr 17, 2017 10:41 AM

Oct 2016
Ginniyuriham said:
ItsImoutoYuki said:
Well, good for you. But you are still not "mentally ill", you have just been exposed to the harsh reality of life. Nobody said it would be easy for you, you just naively expected it. Everyone do this, they just don't go off identifying themselves with a diagnosis.

Schizophrenia is nonsense. Thomas Szasz said it best, "If you talk to God, you are religious. If God talks to you, you are schizophrenic."
Dementia is a proven brain disease and it's not psychiatrists giving treatment, but actual qualified doctors whose expertise is on the brain (although the disease has no cure, so not much can be done unless you do a lobotomy or something which is extremely hazardous).
Takuan_Soho said:

I agree.

Much of what we call mental illnesses, like autism and such, are just behavioural differences, social ineptitudes, social awkwardness, as how we perceive it, but it really isn't mental illness. Some things considered inappropriate back in the days, like homosexuality, are no longer considered mental illness. Not due to any scientific conclusion drawn, they were just listed off the DSM with no hesitation because it turned out to be normal to have it now. Same thing with "Drapetomania". If all humans suddenly turned into paedophiles, it would be listed off DSM as well. The DSM is all just a bunch of "What we think are diseases IMO."

It's funny how Freud managed to spew so much nonsense back then. The problem is, however, we have not disavowed him yet. We still follow much of his leads.

Autism isn't a mental illness nor is it considered one
Apr 17, 2017 10:46 AM

Jun 2016
All I'm gonna say is that tumblr is slowly ruining the credibility of mental illnesses, which is an objectively bad thing since there are people out there who'd seriously need some help in that regard, considering they aren't just self-diagnosed attention whores.
Apr 17, 2017 11:28 AM
Jul 2018
Erg_Orgy said:
All I'm gonna say is that tumblr is slowly ruining the credibility of mental illnesses, which is an objectively bad thing since there are people out there who'd seriously need some help in that regard, considering they aren't just self-diagnosed attention whores.

To be fair, self diagnosis is harmful if done without intervention, but one taking self diagnosis to a shrink and actually discovering whether it's said issue or not using DSM criteria and the like, could at least potentially result in treatment for the patient.

The problem is, tumblr is full of histrionic teenagers whose entitlement levels have led to such delusions of bigheadedness that, if they actually have a problem, they'll insist on not going to a shrink to keep themselves "le oppressed" and "le disordered" to the extent where it's "cool".

When I was a tumblrina I did have mental issues, mutliiple mental issues, some estimated and some long standing, but the site discouraging treatment for them, and the new issue I was diagnosed with after deleting my blog, smartening up- actively harmed my mental state in the long run. I did discover that after years of hypothesizing, that i had a mood disorder, but it wasn't tumblr that at all aided me in treatment for it. They just convinced me to be a bitch and a scourge upon whomever I interacted with. If anything. Dumblr's mindset isn't healthy towards sane people, forget about the mentally ill, but unfortunately is a place where for many, many, kids, they feel a false sense of conformity in allowing their difficulties to grow and fester rather than to resolve them.
Apr 17, 2017 11:58 AM

May 2016
Anxiety for me; actually diagnosed and got help, medication, therapy, and all that. Much better now than I was, tbh.
Apr 17, 2017 2:01 PM

Jan 2009
Ginniyuriham said:

im clinically diagnose of schizophrenia and i say medication help me become somewhat functional again but still a NEET, im hallucinating almost everyday and i got religious delusions at one time too believing im jesus christ thats why im absorbing/hearing/feeling all the hate of people around me and towards me and my family have a history of schizophrenia too, 2 of my relatives have this condition too so i say its pretty much real

and also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_model_of_schizophrenia and how can you explain the neuroleptics works for at least 50% of patients of schizophrenia

sure psychology and psychiatry are not perfect but they are better than just people labeling people like me as being possessed by the devil (religious claims)
Apr 17, 2017 4:05 PM

Jun 2010
While I don't agree that all of the disorders listed in the DSM can truly be classified as "mental illnesses", there are certainly those that have been identified as having a strong neurobiological basis, including schizophrenia and depression. While neither are completely understood, both of these conditions have demonstrated heredity through twin and adoption studies, thus there must be a biological difference between individuals who do and do not have them. Furthermore, the fact that both disorders are so amenable to targeted pharmacotherapeutic approaches (blockage of dopaminergic activity in the case of schizophrenia and increased availability of serotonin and norepinephrine for depression) suggests that there must be something going on at the neurobiological level.

Obviously the main issue with mental illnesses is that, unlike diseases of any other body system, there are no lab tests or investigations we can use to diagnose them or monitor response to therapy. Moreover, we cannot study them in the same way we can study other disease processes because a) it's impossible to isolate functional neurons from a live human and b) to truly understand the diseases, it would have to be in the context of the entire neural network. Therefore, we are left with purely subjective diagnostic criteria that forms the basis of the DSM. As someone who works in the healthcare field, I could essentially fake a diagnosis of schizophrenia because I know exactly what constitutes a positive diagnosis (not that I would actually do it).

However, I don't think this necessarily means mental illnesses do not exist and be classified as diseases with a biological basis, simply that we currently do not have the tools to understand them.
YunaApr 17, 2017 4:12 PM
Apr 17, 2017 4:11 PM

Mar 2014
The biggest problem with mental illness is that it often makes it difficult for people to be empathatic towards the victim, as the illness can cause the victim to behave like an asshole, and I think psychologically we find it difficult to empathise with someone who 'looks' healthy. If a guy in a wheelchair wants to get drunk off his ass and be pissed off at the world because he can't walk, most people will pity him. If a schizophrenic does the same thing, he's just a scary, crazy homeless person.

Mental illness is something the governments of the world really need to invest more money in studying and dealing with.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2017 1:05 AM

May 2015
I'm pretty sure I have severe depression. I'm not sure how else to explain the persistent negative disposition I have, and that nothing makes me feel okay.
Apr 18, 2017 2:28 AM

Mar 2008
Ginniyuriham said:

There isn't just one gene associated with it and as I already said there is a problem with how they are grouped and diagnosed but it's not totally off to the point of non exitence. Also you conveniently ignored all else I said about neurological and philological traits. I already pointed out that psychology has problems but neuropychology is still an expanding field with more scientific scrutiny to it.

Uhh your story is inconsistently worded oddly so i cant keep up with it. One moment you said it's a romantic sexual relationship then you said it's rape. Also uhm no it takes more than a persons background to be called mentally ill they have to fit certain criteria but sure they would be more likely to want to diagnose something but the same can be said.

I'm not.

How they define it is in part by culture but I think as long as it doesn't hurt anyone or cause a self define problem in a persons own life it's not an issue and while not quite there yet the DSM is heading in that direction id say, it's still a mess though. Rapists or at least the violent kind usually have a dysfunctonal prefrotal cortex and could be categorised as sociopaths. As of more recent pedophiliacs that do not and will not act on it and do not feel anxiety from it are getting closer to the point they will not be considered mentally ill although im not sure if it's there yet its not in the DSM like that yet but some psychologists take this stance.

Society and culture influences how people think.

No one thinks mental illnesses are a disease it's just a state of mind and/or a neurological problem that causes their life to suck or endangers others infringing upon their rights.
Apr 18, 2017 3:04 AM

Aug 2011
ItsImoutoYuki said:
i have met others that says mental illness is just are imagination and is all in are heads. What do you think ?
That goes contrary to current medical sciences and quite paranoid....But I agree with the position that the diagnosis can be used as a tool to strip away your bodily autonomy, hence why mental institutions went hand in hand with human rights violations. But this is a different matter emtirely.

Just like any organ can go wrong, this does not exculde the brain. There are many documented cases demonstrating how it has genetic discompositions even in animal studies. And yeah, stuff like anxiety and constant thought about overcoming your difficulties(for example, diffending yourself or escaping from predators)have evolutionary roots. But if your thoughts are overtaking your daily routine when no danger is present, even to the point of hallucinating predators, your brain is off balance and this should not be considered a mere "character flaw". It should be treated with meds, cognitive-behavioral therapy, etc.
incisorr said:
i love it when people start acting like some neutral almighty unbiased godly judge and they even believe their own shit, suddenly its not their thoughts and opinions anymore but the righteous justice god way, they are unbiased, non-subjective, they just are! To be honest, everyone is like this quite often, me included, but i don't forget myself and i still post a lot of personal shit which is what forums are made for , if they didn't want us to have our own style and posts it would be an article instead a forum thread.
Apr 18, 2017 4:18 AM

Jul 2013
I actually got diagnosed with social anxiety. That was 3 years ago I think. I don't actually believe it I think that doctor was quack, trying to sell me cheap drugs which I don't know if they're legit or not and I wouldn't know cause I didn't try them. Though looking online the symptoms match me like 80%, but I just really like to think I'm just shy and introverted.
Apr 20, 2017 3:37 AM

May 2015
PrimeX said:
I actually got diagnosed with social anxiety. That was 3 years ago I think. I don't actually believe it I think that doctor was quack, trying to sell me cheap drugs which I don't know if they're legit or not and I wouldn't know cause I didn't try them. Though looking online the symptoms match me like 80%, but I just really like to think I'm just shy and introverted.

Have you tried a psychotherapist? These problems aren't physical things. That's why psychiatry can be ridiculous. Psychology can be a bit more helpful in understanding these problems.
Apr 20, 2017 6:19 AM

Feb 2017
I've had chronic depression in the past. I had weeks where I refused to leave my bedroom. I wanted to die, but didn't even have the energy to do anything about it. My chest felt tight, I had severe headaches, I slept through most of the day and I had bad migraines.

If you don't 'believe' in mental illness, or believe it's a 'different way of thinking', then quit thinking of it as a 'mental' illness, and just an illness, which you can see and has physical effects. Things like depression/anxiety/stress have very real physical effects on the body. Mental illness can be debilitating.

And lol at ppl who think schizophrenia is bs, are you for real.

Trust me, no one wants to be mentally ill. It can ruin your life.
'I love you because you're you. I'm happy that you're whole. I don't care if there are sides of you that I don't know, or don't like. If that's who you are, that's fine. As long as you're whole, that's enough for me.'-Kouko Kaga
Apr 20, 2017 6:27 AM

Aug 2015
Mental illness is very real !
Whether or not you view it in a scientific or non scientific way.
Sure they're a lot of people out there who are depressed but maybe haven't been diagnosed with it by a doctor. But the feelings are very real. I don't really think you need the acknowledgment of someone else too be able to tell you how you feel...
\_(._.)_/

Apr 20, 2017 1:44 PM
Dec 2016
ItsImoutoYuki said:
I wanna say first that i do have a mental illness adhd, ocd, anxiety, depression. i have met alot of people that also have mental illness but i have met others that says mental illness is just are imagination and is all in are heads. What do you think ? I think it is an Illness because i have suffered from it my entire life and still do till this day.

It's very much real.
I'm attending college to purse a career in clinical psychology and, as I took several classes, I learned that the mind (cognition) and the brain are incredible complex. I believe this is the reason why so many people don't accept the idea of mental illness because it is too difficult for them to understand.
Apr 20, 2017 2:29 PM
Dec 2016
Pirating_Ninja said:
Theworstshow said:

The diathesis-stress model is definitely very interesting, but my professor treated with an article that was also interesting. There is a theory called Orchid and Dandelion Theory. According to this theory, orchids are vulnerable to environmental risk due to their genetics (genetic predisposition), while dandelion less vulnerable to environmental risks (no genetic predisposition). However, interestingly enough, there was research that showed that "orchids", if raised in a nurturing environment, actually surpass dandelions. And dandelions can strive for survival no matter the environment they're raised in.
However, as you can predict, there is still some controversy. The degree in which nature and nurture influences the development of psychopathological illnesses is still slightly unclear, but there's no doubt that both are involved.

Here are the articles if you're interested: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2009/12/the-science-of-success/307761/
http://scienceblogs.com/neuronculture/2009/12/14/does-the-orchid-dandelion-meta/

Apr 20, 2017 3:47 PM

Nov 2009
MelanieYin-Chan said:
Pirating_Ninja said:

The diathesis-stress model is definitely very interesting, but my professor treated with an article that was also interesting. There is a theory called Orchid and Dandelion Theory. According to this theory, orchids are vulnerable to environmental risk due to their genetics (genetic predisposition), while dandelion less vulnerable to environmental risks (no genetic predisposition). However, interestingly enough, there was research that showed that "orchids", if raised in a nurturing environment, actually surpass dandelions. And dandelions can strive for survival no matter the environment they're raised in.
However, as you can predict, there is still some controversy. The degree in which nature and nurture influences the development of psychopathological illnesses is still slightly unclear, but there's no doubt that both are involved.

Here are the articles if you're interested: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2009/12/the-science-of-success/307761/
http://scienceblogs.com/neuronculture/2009/12/14/does-the-orchid-dandelion-meta/

Would have to look further into it to see what they actually mean when they suggest negative traits are essentially just positive traits that didn't flourish. This would seem to imply that one in an enriched environment couldn't suffer from any type of psychopathology, which I can already assume is not at all what they are saying (i.e. I am misunderstanding something - but too tired to go through the actual article); However, the idea of environment influencing different alleles of a specific gene differently is not that new (there was a rat experiment in 1958 using bright and dull rats reared in enriched / normal / impoverished environments and the results were not as expected). (Edit: I would like to point out that I very much am someone who considers the diathesis-stress model to be "the most accurate" at this point in time, but also acknowledge that due to how poor the understanding of gene-environment interaction is, it is most likely either 1) flat-out wrong, or 2) too simplified that it is wrong).

As to the last point, the degree to which nature / nurture influence almost anything (physical or psychological) is extremely unclear - not only is guesstimating difficult as the way in which the two interact is poorly understood, but there is no method (that I know of) capable of accurately calculating the actual influence of nature v. nurture. What people usually refer to is heritability, however this is a measure of the extent to which any given trait varies due to differences in genes - i.e. Heritability is not inheritance.
Pirating_NinjaApr 20, 2017 3:51 PM
Apr 20, 2017 4:09 PM

Oct 2012
The concept that mental illnesses are not real is mostly religious. There is the traditional duality that holds that a person's essence, his soul, is the commander in control of the ship, and is responsible for all aspects of a personality. Even if we take environmental influences into account, it could be argued that the factors are too broad to be relegated to some discrete condition. However, modern science, especially with advances in neuroscience and psycho-biology does show that the brain is an organ like any other, and could be inflicted with debilitating flaws like any other organ.

Here's where the confusion comes in. While physical aberrations are easily noticeable, and people have a very clear cultural expectation for what is physically normal, personalities are less clear, because we are confused about how much is accounted for by personal responsibility due to the religious holdovers discussed above. It is true that personal responsibility plays some role in behavior, but simple minded conservatives never develop the adult capacity of intelligence to think beyond the binary. We know that how mental disorders are diagnosed are very much based on arbitrary cultural values -- "social constructs" if you will -- when a person suffers on integration due to the "illness"; however, that doesn't somehow invalidate the scientific fact that brain chemistry can be shown to differ in those afflicted by a significant, identifiable degree, and that those differences could be mitigated with medicine proven to target them.

If physical issues negatively influence a person's life to a significant degree, and can be shown to be an aberration from the norm that is medically treatable, then the illness is real. That's exactly how real is defined even for non-mental illnesses. And if treatment is available for some ailment, why should it be stigmatized that a person seeks personal improvement? Perhaps this all comes down to an economic issue of whether insurance of subsidies should cover this improvement. Therefore, I conclude that what's bothering people like Ginniyuriham above is either ignorance about the science, being spoonfed biases and religious thinking all his life, or more sinister cognitive dissonance based on selfishness, bending facts and believing in his own lies to justify his financial sovereignty at the expense of the community.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 20, 2017 4:38 PM
Dec 2016
Pirating_Ninja said:
MelanieYin-Chan said:

Would have to look further into it to see what they actually mean when they suggest negative traits are essentially just positive traits that didn't flourish. This would seem to imply that one in an enriched environment couldn't suffer from any type of psychopathology, which I can already assume is not at all what they are saying (i.e. I am misunderstanding something - but too tired to go through the actual article); However, the idea of environment influencing different alleles of a specific gene differently is not that new (there was a rat experiment in 1958 using bright and dull rats reared in enriched / normal / impoverished environments and the results were not as expected). (Edit: I would like to point out that I very much am someone who considers the diathesis-stress model to be "the most accurate" at this point in time, but also acknowledge that due to how poor the understanding of gene-environment interaction is, it is most likely either 1) flat-out wrong, or 2) too simplified that it is wrong).

As to the last point, the degree to which nature / nurture influence almost anything (physical or psychological) is extremely unclear - not only is guesstimating difficult as the way in which the two interact is poorly understood, but there is no method (that I know of) capable of accurately calculating the actual influence of nature v. nurture. What people usually refer to is heritability, however this is a measure of the extent to which any given trait varies due to differences in genes - i.e. Heritability is not inheritance.

The second article tackles the skepticism you addressed. David Shenk, the author of the second article and a critic of the theory, said that dividing people into two groups wasn’t correct and a spectrum would be more appropriated. He also stated "dandelions" also benefit from positive feedback and researchers should always consider individual differences with address genetics vs environment.
However, then that David Dobbs, the author of theory, responded, stating that Orchid and Dandelion Theory works with temperament (which is genetically based and is most resistant to change), but cognitive plasticity (which helps with resilience) remains unaffected.
However, I agree that the interaction between genetics and environment needs more in depth exploration.

We also have to consider epigenetic changes, which only complicate things even more!
Apr 20, 2017 9:19 PM

Dec 2012
Ginniyuriham said:

bridievinn said:
And the award
for being the ultimate troll goes to Ginn. There might've been a reason for being "tested like a lab rat"???
Apr 20, 2017 9:42 PM

Mar 2017
MelanieYin-Chan said:
ItsImoutoYuki said:

It's very much real.
I'm attending college to purse a career in clinical psychology and, as I took several classes, I learned that the mind (cognition) and the brain are incredible complex. I believe this is the reason why so many people don't accept the idea of mental illness because it is too difficult for them to understand.
I love your statement of opinion of this forum thanks ^^ because you describe it in detail like everyone else and we do need to spread this around. Thank you ^^ Yin Chan ^^
Apr 20, 2017 11:13 PM

Dec 2010
ItsImoutoYuki said:

I have a hard time accepting many of those as mental illness.
Sure, sometimes, in severe cases I would accept it as an illness, but more often than not, no, it's just avoiding responsibility for your mental health.

As to in your head? ehhh, add, adhd, ocd, anxiety, depression, they are real things. Sometimes they require some form of intervention, sometimes they do not.
I have ADD, my 2nd oldest son has ADHD, the wife has a bit of OCD and anxiety, I've had a round or two with depression, etc.

I have never taken drugs for ADD, or depression. Son was on meds till 13.

I think when people say it's in your head, they mean it literally. It's your head, and outside of extreme cases we are capable of moving past or adapting to our idiosyncrasies. I have to write some things down, or I will forget them. My depression didn't change, until I changed my attitude.

They can honestly be an illness. But they can also just be a convenient excuse.
Apr 21, 2017 4:05 AM

May 2015
Regnent said:
ItsImoutoYuki said:

I have a hard time accepting many of those as mental illness.
Sure, sometimes, in severe cases I would accept it as an illness, but more often than not, no, it's just avoiding responsibility for your mental health.

As to in your head? ehhh, add, adhd, ocd, anxiety, depression, they are real things. Sometimes they require some form of intervention, sometimes they do not.
I have ADD, my 2nd oldest son has ADHD, the wife has a bit of OCD and anxiety, I've had a round or two with depression, etc.

I have never taken drugs for ADD, or depression. Son was on meds till 13.

I think when people say it's in your head, they mean it literally. It's your head, and outside of extreme cases we are capable of moving past or adapting to our idiosyncrasies. I have to write some things down, or I will forget them. My depression didn't change, until I changed my attitude.

They can honestly be an illness. But they can also just be a convenient excuse.

Are you against psychiatric drugs or against therapy?

Someone can have depression, and by being aware of that he's aware of his limits and understands his failures better. He also can think what he needs to do. Some people can deal with one social event per week. Others with depression may need more to deal with it.
Apr 21, 2017 6:04 AM

Jan 2017
I have found the embodiment of mental illness.

On a serious note tho, stuff like depression and anxiety can be fixed by eating a banana or something (it has a happiness hormone thing) some whiny Tumblr kids say it's like forcing yourself to be happy like some robot or something. And that mental illness is called retardatio- Oh yeah retarded people get offended by it... "Intellectually disabled".
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Would you ever be interested in going on a blind date?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

11 by LoveYourEyes »»
25 minutes ago

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 7 hours ago

6 by Nemo_Niemand »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - Yesterday

20 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - 11 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 8 hours ago

11 by vasipi4946 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.