Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (97) « First ... « 56 57 [58] 59 60 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2017 6:08 PM

Oct 2015
Ghost in the Shell (2017) The effects were nice and it was interesting to see an American take on the anime.

Still, the story and music was much better in the anime, I'm about to go re-watch the 1995 one for the 5th time.
Apr 7, 2017 5:07 AM

Dec 2011
Ratatouille. Pretty underwhelming to be honest, and far from Pixar's best.
Apr 7, 2017 6:27 AM

Mar 2017
Watched The vampire's assistant yesterday, which, was well.. okay? I've read only one book of the series it is based on, and even that was over six years ago. The plot was a bit dumb, but it was entertaining enough for something geared towards an audience a lot younger than me.

The vampire academy, which I watched afterwards, however was awful. It doesn't work as an action movie, and it doesn't work as a comedy. The whole thing was just so.. dumb.
Apr 8, 2017 7:10 AM

Jan 2015
Today's screening: metropolis (1927) & thirst (2009)

la critique de l'intention pure
Apr 8, 2017 7:11 AM

Apr 2016
karambia said:
Today's screening: metropolis (1927) & thirst (2009)

I would love to hear your thoughts on them. Thirst was wonderful. I liked the Metropolis book more.
Apr 8, 2017 7:22 AM

Jan 2015
TheElevenTails said:
I would love to hear your thoughts on them. Thirst was wonderful.
unfortunately I'm not like it. I'm considered as the weakest from park chan wook story-wise. Idk I just found it boring mostly.

I liked the Metropolis book more.
haven't read the book, but the movie for their standard was visually staggering imo. I like and appreciated it more on technical departement like visual effect, the shoot angles, some framin all combined with impressed editing work, fristz lang emphasized the spectacles really great, even if it so basic but effective. There one scene that probably pionered first person view + hand (I'm not sure) tho' it last second, I really like it lol.
For the story overall I'm not fond by it much, it's just feel bland tho' there some interesting part as well.

Well that's just one time wach idk if I can observe them much - quiet enjoy metropolis but thirst not so :(
karambiaApr 8, 2017 7:26 AM

Apr 8, 2017 7:25 AM

Nov 2008
I watched Metropolis a few days ago. It was pretty good. Didn't love it.

Yesterday I watched Paris, Texas. Good movie! I had no idea the old guy from Alien was such a talented actor.

Before that I watched Le Samouraï, a French thriller drama. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a really good crime/hitman movie.

Apr 8, 2017 8:24 AM

Apr 2016
karambia said:
unfortunately I'm not like it. I'm considered as the weakest from park chan wook story-wise. Idk I just found it boring mostly.
Well Park Chan Wook has a weird way of story-telling. Not everyone loves it. Also, yes, I agree this wasn't as good as Park Chan's other ones like the Vengeance Trilogy but that's only cause those movies set the bar way too high. And furthermore, I don't had a problem with the slow pace if the story is compelling enough.

haven't read the book, but the movie for their standard was visually staggering imo. I like and appreciated it more on technical departement like visual effect, the shoot angles, some framin all combined with impressed editing work, fristz lang emphasized the spectacles really great, even if it so basic but effective. There one scene that probably pionered first person view + hand (I'm not sure) tho' it last second, I really like it lol.
For the story overall I'm not fond by it much, it's just feel bland tho' there some interesting part as well.

Well that's just one time wach idk if I can observe them much - quiet enjoy metropolis but thirst not so :(
Yeah, for a movie which was released in the late 1920s, it was spectacular. Fritz Lang is a genius. RIP him. I would recommend that you see his movie 'M' if you haven't yet. Considering, it's a silent sci-fic, it was obvious that the sound used would be genuinely brilliant. I do not remember that first-person but I'll look it up, the only problem I had was the runtime. Silent films shouldn't be that long.
Apr 8, 2017 8:54 AM

Jan 2015
TheElevenTails said:
karambia said:
Well Park Chan Wook has a weird way of story-telling. Not everyone loves it. Also, yes, I agree this wasn't as good as Park Chan's other ones like the Vengeance Trilogy but that's only cause those movies set the bar way too high. And furthermore, I don't had a problem with the slow pace if the story is compelling enough.
I quiet like the vengeance trilogy :) .
I don't have problem with the pace mainly it's just wha written in the story, as I can't even come with any interesting part. it show park chan wook's props and craftmanship which ofc very well, but still can't help it much tho' :(
Also I feel it's just wasted of performances from song kang ho and the female lead as I can't attached with.
Well yeah that's personally an opinion

Yeah, for a movie which was released in the late 1920s, it was spectacular. Fritz Lang is a genius. RIP him. I would recommend that you see his movie 'M' if you haven't yet.
haven't :) - already long on my list as well

Considering, it's a silent sci-fic, it was obvious that the sound used would be genuinely brilliant. I do not remember that first-person but I'll look it up, the only problem I had was the runtime. Silent films shouldn't be that long.
yeah I agree with that. It happen when the scientist capture the lady and try to copy her into the android, then the MC seeking her in the scientist's home/lab - I'm quiet wow by it, really cool and again effective emphasized the moment, tho' it was only seconds

Haha, idk if I counted cheat or not fair but I put it onhold in one third of the movie before continue it today.
karambiaApr 8, 2017 8:58 AM

Apr 8, 2017 8:55 AM

Mar 2016
Heathers because I'm a basic bitch and enjoy it wayy to much
brb gotta listen to the musical now
so this is how you make a signature ;;
Apr 8, 2017 9:07 AM

Apr 2016
karambia said:
I don't have problem with the pace mainly it's just wha written in the story, as I can't even come with any interesting part. it show park chan wook's props and craftmanship which ofc very well, but still can't help it much tho' :(
Also I feel it's just wasted of performances from song kang ho and the female lead as I can't attached with.
Oldboy from the Vengeance trilogy is one of my favorite movies of all time. Some aspects of Oldboy and Thirst were quite similar. That's one of the reasons I like it. But Oldboy is better by a long shot. It's not even close.

yeah I agree with that. It happen when the scientist capture the lady and try to copy her into the android, then the MC seeking her in the scientist's home/lab - I'm quiet wow by it, really cool and again effective emphasized the moment, tho' it was only seconds

Haha, idk if I counted cheat or not fair but I put it onhold in one third of the movie before continue it today.
Oh I remember that scene. The angles were brilliant not denying that. But it's Fritz. It's pretty vague but I think a similar scene was in M as well. Every Fritz Lang film is beautiful in it's own way.
Apr 8, 2017 9:46 AM

Jan 2015
TheElevenTails said:
karambia said:
Oldboy from the Vengeance trilogy is one of my favorite movies of all time. Some aspects of Oldboy and Thirst were quite similar. That's one of the reasons I like it. But Oldboy is better by a long shot. It's not even close.
yeah I'm agree with you it have some aspect, only oldboy was (much) better.
I more like sympathy for mr vengeance:) pretty straightforward and the only for it trilogy I'd watched fully twice simultaneously.
Oldboy I got a down point - as it was on tv back then and unfortunately I sit it down at the climax - then years forward when I watched it back, it's already spoiled :/ - but it's still brilliant pieces - I probably need to rewatch it tho' - opinion change overtime

Oh I remember that scene. The angles were brilliant not denying that. But it's Fritz. It's pretty vague but I think a similar scene was in M as well. Every Fritz Lang film is beautiful in it's own way.
I see, pretty interesting to hear that in M, probably I'll try it soon.

Apr 8, 2017 9:51 AM

Apr 2016
karambia said:
I more like sympathy for mr vengeance:) pretty straightforward and the only for it trilogy I'd watched fully twice simultaneously.
Hahah well I've seen Oldboy 13 times or probably more.

Oldboy I got a down point - as it was on tv back then and unfortunately I sit it down at the climax - then years forward when I watched it back, it's already spoiled :/ - but it's still brilliant pieces - I probably need to rewatch it tho' - opinion change overtime
Oohh sad. I know how that feels though. Trying so hard to forget about that scene but you can't and you have to live with that. But that's a drawback for you, not the others.

I see, pretty interesting to hear that in M, probably I'll try it soon.
Sure. Let me know how it was after watching.
Apr 8, 2017 10:33 AM

Jan 2015
@TheElevenTails
Hahah well I've seen Oldboy 13 times or probably more.
haha ofc you are, like you said it was one of your fave all time :D when in my case it's just my fave work from park chan wook

Oohh sad. I know how that feels though. Trying so hard to forget about that scene but you can't and you have to live with that. But that's a drawback for you, not the others.
yeah, obviously I put it as personal drawback. Hopefully I can see it now from another perspective nowadays.

Sure. Let me know how it was after watching.
sure, I will :D .

Apr 8, 2017 11:51 PM

Sep 2011
Beauty and the Beast (2017)

I wish it were better. I liked Luke Evans as Gaston, Josh Gad as LeFou, Ian McKellen, and Ewan McGregor. Not that I don't like Emma Watson, but I don't think she's that strong of a singer so I think she was an odd choice for the lead in a musical. I may be nitpicking a bit, but I think the camera was often too close, and would too frequently cut away to another nearby close up. I think it gave some scenes the feeling of being disconnected, rather than being bustling, or having a sense of grandeur and spectacle that I think the animated version did very well.

I think perhaps the worst thing it has going for it is that a superior version was made more than 20 years ago.

It was alright.
EeyoreApr 9, 2017 10:17 PM
Apr 10, 2017 9:25 AM

Jan 2015
M (1931)

@TheElevenTails
Great one. I really like it.
The use of sound brought the best of fritz lang's craftmanship.

Apr 10, 2017 9:31 AM

Apr 2016
karambia said:
M (1931)

@TheElevenTails

I know. I'm glad you liked it. And the story is so damn good too.
Apr 10, 2017 9:44 AM

Jan 2015
TheElevenTails said:
karambia said:
M (1931)

@TheElevenTails

yeah, the story as well. I'm laugh a lot at it, I don't expect it turn to have some comedy element xD - and to think it's touch such issue :) + the climax of peter lore really nailed.

also I like The crosscut scenes, when the crime syndicate/association meeting intersect with police meeting, I'm in awe with that :D

Apr 10, 2017 9:44 AM

Jan 2015
TheElevenTails said:
karambia said:
M (1931)

@TheElevenTails

yeah, the story as well. I'm laugh a lot at it, I don't expect it turn to have some comedy element xD - and to think it's touch such issue :) + the climax of peter lore really nailed.

also I like The crosscut scenes, when the crime syndicate/association meeting intersect with police meeting, I'm in awe with that :D

Apr 10, 2017 9:52 AM

Apr 2016
karambia said:
TheElevenTails said:

The police meeting was brilliant. It was shot beautifully.
Which did you like more? This or Metropolis?
Apr 10, 2017 2:50 PM

Apr 2017
The last movie I watched was:

It was on TV. I've seen it about 4 to 5 times. 6/10

Apr 10, 2017 5:44 PM

Oct 2010
M is quite great, though I didn't share the overall enthusiasm too much. I need to rewatch. It has been mentioned hundreds of times but the film is specially amazing in its use of sound and silence. It came in an early era where the possibilities of sound in cinema were not yet fully explored, and the way Lang turns this disadvantage into pure experimentation is mesmerizing. The tune we hear every time the murderer is near is enough alone and by itself to make us feel uneasy, it sets a mood. Not only accompanying the action, but preceding it. The use of silence is brilliant as well, as a contrast that reinforces the unease of many scenes.

By the way, another early sound film I recommend for its brilliant use of sound is Blackmail. Maybe not as mesmerizing and poetic as Lang's, but it's fascinating in its precision and functionality, and it came two years before, when it was even less explored. Taking that into account, some of the things Hitchcock does here and in general the skill he shows with the tool are amazing.
Apr 10, 2017 6:45 PM
Jul 2018
Moonlight
Interesting and important topics to speak about (drugs, ghettos, criminals, homosexuality, bullying, black people in the US), but tries way too hard to be deep, imo and the main character plus his love are both kinda unlikable for me. It just felt forced, dunno why.
Anyway, very good movie. Maybe just not the best of the year...

Dr. Strange
Uhm... I really don't know what to think about. XD I like the Dr. House-like humour (but there is not enough of it) and the mindfucking setting / great animations very much, but the second half feels rushed and the whole movie has too much comic-feeling.
I know, that's quite unfair to critize Marvel for too much comic-feeling. XD
Apr 11, 2017 3:48 PM

Nov 2008
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972)

Strange surrealist movie about the hypocrisy of the elite. 8/10.

Apr 11, 2017 7:34 PM

Nov 2008
Felt like revisiting one of my childhood movies, The Mummy (1999), after seeing the shitty looking, depressing reboot trailer with Tom Cruise. Fun pulp adventure. 7/10.

I don't like what Hollywood has become.

Apr 11, 2017 9:07 PM

Dec 2011
The Lego Batman Movie. Same as the first Lego movie, exceeded my expectations. Also none of that weird live-action shit from the last movie, a huge plus.
Apr 11, 2017 10:41 PM

Nov 2008
Bambi. Better than I expected after not seeing it for a lifetime. Majestic. 8/10.

Apr 11, 2017 11:54 PM

Aug 2013
American Pop 9/10

I would say this is Ralph Bakshi's best film. It wasn't as overly surrealistic as Bahkshi's 70's animated movies (Fritz, Wizards, Heavy Traffic), had far more realistic, non grotesque human character designs for all the characters , didn't feature as much gore and sexual content as those earlier movies and the live action imo mixed far better with the animation.

It was great having multiple protagonists throughout the movie considering all of them were
and in some way music affected their lives. I also liked the progression from the late 19th century to the 80's.

Apr 12, 2017 1:46 AM

Oct 2010
DrGeroCreation said:
American Pop 9/10

me rn

Yay, it's great. It's the movie that finally sold Bakshi to me after a few attempts that turned underwhelming. The only thing I miss here is a more interesting theme for me. I still see a lot of merit in making me feel fascinated at times and in general invested in a story that is basically a tour through the history of music in the 20th Century of the US, because it's not a topic I'd usually like to spend a lot of time into. The animation is also amazing, Bakshi has always been fluid and reasonably refined but this one looks specially great. Nice gifs.

Out of the Bakshis I've seen, I'm still more into Heavy Traffic. I sort of get the comparisons with Fritz and Wizards but I think there's a lot more. Specially on the parallels with Fritz the cat; to me that one is transgression for the sake of transgression, a mere accumulation of scenes for the surreal and disturbing, heck, it was even sold like that. Heavy Traffic has to do with Bakshi, his childhood and his memories. It is also violent, it explores grotesque situations and indulges in surrealism, but in the end there's a lot of personal input that can be traced beyond all this shocking and transgressive stuff. It's Bakshi's very own and unique love song to a city, in the same way American Pop is his homage to music.
Apr 12, 2017 7:15 AM
Apr 2017
John Wick: Chapter 2 was the movie I watched on www.movieberry.com/ yesterday. This story is about one guy against an army of killers. It's one of the movies I can watch a few times over and not be sick of it!
Apr 12, 2017 11:37 PM

Jan 2015
TheElevenTails said:
Which did you like more? This or Metropolis?

i like M more than Metropolis :)

jal90 said:
M It came in an early era where the possibilities of sound in cinema were not yet fully explored, and the way Lang turns this disadvantage into pure experimentation is mesmerizing. The tune we hear every time the murderer is near is enough alone and by itself to make us feel uneasy, it sets a mood. Not only accompanying the action, but preceding it. The use of silence is brilliant as well, as a contrast that reinforces the unease of many scenes.
i'm still green with those era (the silent and transition to sound era) - but pretty much Jal have the summary and articulated my thought :)

By the way, another early sound film I recommend for its brilliant use of sound is [b]Blackmail.[/v] Maybe not as mesmerizing and poetic as Lang's, but it's fascinating in its precision and functionality, and it came two years before, when it was even less explored. Taking that into account, some of the things Hitchcock does here and in general the skill he shows with the tool are amazing.
interesting, i'll look up that one

Apr 13, 2017 2:37 AM

Apr 2016
DrGeroCreation said:
American Pop 9/10
The music used in that movie if fucking great.

jal90 said:
By the way, another early sound film I recommend for its brilliant use of sound is [b]Blackmail.[/v] Maybe not as mesmerizing and poetic as Lang's, but it's fascinating in its precision and functionality, and it came two years before, when it was even less explored. Taking that into account, some of the things Hitchcock does here and in general the skill he shows with the tool are amazing.
interesting, i'll look up that one
Hitchcock uses the art of silence brilliantly. The Birds and Rear Window are two other excellent examples for this. He uses silence to create suspense. Many directors do the opposite. They use sound to create it. Martin Scorsese is one the modern directors who can use silence well. Raging Bull was just genius.
Apr 13, 2017 9:24 AM

Jun 2012
When the Last Sword is Drawn, a 2002 film. I'm about fifteen minutes away from finishing but it's got a the right amount of story meets action. Then I have about four other samurai films & two westerns to watch.
Probably gonna watch Samurai Jack while I watch through all of these. Plus my harddrive could use the space.
Apr 14, 2017 5:42 AM

Nov 2008
Beauty and the Beast (2017) - 6/10

Even as I was smiling, I didn't stop thinking about what a cynical cash-in this is. I liked it because I very much like the movie it's based on. It felt quite awkward at times. The added length also didn't amount to much.

B&B 1991 > 1946 > 2017

I only went out and watched it because the power went out in my neighborhood, again. I'm glad they were no longer playing Ghost in the Shell, as I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have enjoyed myself as much.

Also, 48 frames per second should be the new standard! The higher framerate looked good in B&B! All these people talking about how it makes the films look like soap operas are fools, too used to their outdated 24 fps format. Finally directors can move the camera around without choppiness being such a concern, and moving subjects look more real. I have no idea what exact framerate this movie actually plays at and I'm afraid of looking like an idiot when I learn it's 24 and my mind was playing tricks on me, but it looked so smooth!

Edit: Looks like B&B was 24 fps. That's some great technical work Disney did, though. I wanna watch a 48 fps movie, just to see what it's like. I've seen 60 fps porn and thought it looked good.
EzekielApr 21, 2017 8:35 PM

Apr 14, 2017 1:04 PM
Jul 2018
The theory of everything
That movie with Eddie Redmayne about Stephen Hawking. Really good and interesting movie and I liked the actor already from Fantastic Beasts.
I cannot tell how autobiografical it actual is, but well... to be honest, it does't matter to me. ^^"
removed-userApr 14, 2017 1:08 PM
Apr 15, 2017 3:47 AM

Dec 2014
Fast and Furious 8 - The Fate of the Furious (2017)

Typical hollywood blockbuster, nothing special. Some of the action scenes are good I guess and that's about it. I guess the popcorn was worth it?
5/10
Apr 19, 2017 8:06 PM

Jun 2016
Monster (2003) based on the life of prostitute-turned-murderer Aileen Wuornos.

Pretty good movie, great performance by Charlize Theron.
The football field isn't the only place where you could use a good line.
Apr 20, 2017 8:23 PM

Jan 2015
Solomon's Perjury part 1-2

I wonder myself why did I bother to finish thing up into the 2nd part . This certainly flawed-in such a borish way- tho' had interesting premise at first and an intrigued epic adult cast - which their roles in the movie(s) just somekind of disappoint-ly scripted -

The key of this movie, the planned "twist" through the of part 2 just make thing feel worse as story imo. Why can be there's such character?

The glimpse of light came from some(just some) of the kid performances-in novice's way- especially the ryoko fujino(played by ryoko fujino?o.O) and that twisted's kanbara kid

Apr 21, 2017 4:26 AM
Apr 2017
The Fate of Furious
Full package of action.
Apr 21, 2017 6:59 PM

Oct 2010
The Devil's disciple. A classic film in the context of the American War of Independence. There's a lot of things to like in here, from the superb performances from top tier actors to the witty dialogues that fill every interaction of this film. The structure of the plot and the lack of proper explorations of character relationships are however serious issues and manage to stop a fine and reasonably solid movie from reaching further.
Apr 21, 2017 10:39 PM

Aug 2015
Well, To describe the levels of weirdness in the Hausu (1977) film is nearly impossible.

I've paid close attention, there is not a single shot or scene in this film that could be classified as 'normal'.

Too much? Nope, Was Great! ;D

Apr 21, 2017 10:44 PM

Jul 2013
The Thieves.

Watched it entirely for Jun Ji‑hyun. It was quite decent, though there were some painfully obvious "plot twists". As I said though, I watched it for Jun Ji‑hyun, and she definitely did not disappoint.

7/10

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Apr 22, 2017 12:55 AM

Jan 2017
I watched Baby Boss and lets just say it is not what I expected at all...

It was pretty funny though, I think there were a lot of hidden not so hidden meanings for only adults to understand.

I went to watch it with my older brother and he couldn't stop laughing at some point (when they started to suck onto the nipples ^^) so he got kicked out by some old lady with her grandkids. haha

Too Lazy to find a proper signature
Apr 22, 2017 1:06 AM

Apr 2016
Timecrimes. Brilliant. Best among all the Groundhog Day type movies I've seen.
Apr 22, 2017 1:17 AM

Apr 2016
karambia said:

I wonder myself why did I bother to finish thing up into the 2nd part . This certainly flawed-in such a borish way- tho' had interesting premise at first and an intrigued epic adult cast - which their roles in the movie(s) just somekind of disappoint-ly scripted -

The key of this movie, the planned "twist" through the of part 2 just make thing feel worse as story imo. Why can be there's such character?

The glimpse of light came from some(just some) of the kid performances-in novice's way- especially the ryoko fujino(played by ryoko fujino?o.O) and that twisted's kanbara kid
I think there's a tv series of the same name too.
Apr 22, 2017 1:50 AM

Jan 2015
TheElevenTails said:
karambia said:
kid
yup, there was korean drama remade for it

Apr 22, 2017 11:53 AM

Oct 2010
I watched Down with misery and
Peddlin' in society, two nice Italian films directed by Gennaro Righelli (first time I heard of him btw) and set in the post-WW2 scenario. Both share various actors and actresses, of which the most blatant is Anna Magnani, who, well... might be a serious contender for favorite actress ever and in both of these offers a strong and poignant performance. The second is more well-rounded, since it deals better with its moral, which makes the first look a little bit sugar-coated.

TheElevenTails said:
Timecrimes. Brilliant. Best among all the Groundhog Day type movies I've seen.

Saw it a long while ago. Very creative though I wasn't as much of a fan as you are. If you are curious, check Vigalondo's shorts. They are quite playful experiments with the sci-fi tropes and the language of cinema, very entertaining and interesting to watch.
Apr 23, 2017 3:56 PM

Apr 2017
DrGeroCreation said:
American Pop 9/10

Love this movie. Great music.
Apr 23, 2017 10:43 PM

Apr 2016
karambia said:
TheElevenTails said:
yup, there was korean drama remade for it
You should check out Signal.

jal90 said:
Saw it a long while ago. Very creative though I wasn't as much of a fan as you are. If you are curious, check Vigalondo's shorts. They are quite playful experiments with the sci-fi tropes and the language of cinema, very entertaining and interesting to watch.
I'm familiar with some of Vigalondo's other works too. I like this guy. I'll check out his shorts.
Apr 24, 2017 11:58 AM

Dec 2012
TheElevenTails said:
karambia said:

Why did you find it compelling? it was very boring imo. I don't think it pales because of comparisons to other works. Thirst in itself didn't really have something going for it. Story was too simple, and I don't remember any kind of message of an apparent theme. Just a weird story that is tame in terms of weirdness compared to the other Korean movies I saw.

I don't know why but I always seem to find the movies Kang-ho Song in to be boring.
Pages (97) « First ... « 56 57 [58] 59 60 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7572 by Jonas-K »»
2 hours ago

» Mal spotify collaborative playlist ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Jan 6

60 by tsukareru »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Avatar: The Way of Water or Dune: Part Two

AcbSnakeDemon - Apr 20

6 by alex889 »»
Today, 1:16 AM

» What Are Your Thoughts On The Owl House?

Enderobot - Apr 18

6 by Enderobot »»
Yesterday, 9:05 AM

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

10 by not-perfect »»
Yesterday, 2:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.