Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 11, 2014 12:45 PM
Oct 2014
Because there is 1 TV series, 5 movies and a upcoming movie also.

Help would be appreciated :)

Thanks!
Dec 11, 2014 12:49 PM

Jun 2013
TV series then End of Evangelion first.
Dec 11, 2014 12:49 PM

Nov 2012
tv series -> end of evangelion
after that the rebuild movies if you like.
Dec 11, 2014 12:51 PM

Mar 2012
FloatsBoats said:
TV series then Death and Rebirth then End of Evangelion first.
+1.
After that, they are all in order:

Evangelion: 1.0
Evangelion: 2.0
Evangelion: 3.0
Dec 11, 2014 12:54 PM

Mar 2012
yazio said:
FloatsBoats said:
TV series then Death and Rebirth then End of Evangelion first.
+1.
After that, they are all in order:

Evangelion: 1.0
Evangelion: 2.0
Evangelion: 3.0

DO NOT WATCH DEATH AND REBIRTH. It is completely pointless, it does a very poor recap of the series and then proceeds to have 30 mins of the beginning of EoE for no reason other than to waste your time.
Dec 11, 2014 12:57 PM

Mar 2012
ElPysCongroo said:
DO NOT WATCH DEATH AND REBIRTH. It is completely pointless, it does a very poor recap of the series and then proceeds to have 30 mins of the beginning of EoE for no reason other than to waste your time.
It explains/set ups a lot of the metastory of the series, and the reason it has 30 mins of the beginning of End of Evangelion is because it came out 4 months before it and that part was later used to make the movie.
Dec 11, 2014 1:02 PM

Jul 2010
Dec 11, 2014 1:02 PM

Sep 2014
Hello, thanks for choosing this very good anime :).

So you can start with the TV series: 26 episods.

About the movies:
-Death and Rebirth: it is a summary from episod 1 to 25.
-The end of Evangelion: it is a summary from episod 25 and 26 + the "true" ending of the story like in the manga.
-Rebuild of Evangelion: 4 movies that are a "new version" of the story with the addition of some characters (the first two movies are globally following the initial story, the third movie is totally different from the original story). There are currently 3 movies.

So, I hope you will like this anime.
Dec 11, 2014 1:03 PM

Mar 2013
Death and Rebirth is completely skippable.
Dec 11, 2014 1:06 PM

Mar 2012
yazio said:
It explains/set ups a lot of the metastory of the series, and the reason it has 30 mins of the beginning of End of Evangelion is because it came out 4 months before it and that part was later used to make the movie.

Which is now completely pointless since you can just watch the EoE film straight after it. Its just a recap that's it, and a pretty poor one at that.
Dec 11, 2014 1:16 PM
Oct 2014
Thanks for all the reply's and thanks I'll start from the TV series :)
Dec 11, 2014 2:05 PM

Oct 2012
Start with Death and Rebirth, then watch the TV series backwards from episode 24 until you get to episode 12. Then watch 1, 4, 5, 9, 6, 2, 10, 3, 11, 7, and finally 8. Episodes 25 and 26 don't matter.
After you finish the TV series, watch The End of Evangelion in reverse.

Disregard the Rebuild movies, they're a scam perpetrated by the accountant that did the budgeting for the original show to cash in on the latent popularity of the franchise.
Dec 11, 2014 2:24 PM
Nov 2013
jayss said:
Episodes 25 and 26 don't matter.

LOL, the original ending is much better than EoE. Either way, watch the TV series (if I'm not wrong, there's a ''renewal''), skip Death and Rebirth and go for The End of Evangelion. Watch the Rebuilds if you want crap (just kidding, but that's not Evangelion, they just called that way for money).
Dec 11, 2014 2:25 PM

May 2013
Kolnikov said:
jayss said:
Episodes 25 and 26 don't matter.

LOL, the original ending is much better than EoE. Either way, watch the TV series (if I'm not wrong, there's a ''renewal''), skip Death and Rebirth and go for The End of Evangelion. Watch the Rebuilds if you want crap (just kidding, but that's not Evangelion, they just called that way for money).

Finally someone who liked the original ending more. I like you.
Dec 11, 2014 2:28 PM

Jun 2013
Like others have said:

Start with Evangelion TV series, up until episode 24. (If you're super curious about episode 25 and 26 then you can watch them, but keep in mind that End of Evangelion replaces them)
After episode 24, watch End of Evangelion.
After that, if you'd like, watch the Rebuild Series.
Dec 11, 2014 2:35 PM
Nov 2013
ex_necross said:
Okashi_sama said:
Why are people saying to skip the final episodes, although i didn't like them either, but skipping them is quite dumb.

Because they are meaningless with End of Evangelion, as it replaces them. Episode 26 is a literal slideshow.

I actually like the episodes, but for most people watching those 2 episodes will only worsen their Evangelion experience.

It does not replace the original ending, they're different. Watch again.
Dec 11, 2014 2:36 PM
Feb 2014
ITT: "If you didn't get Evangelion, you're a mentally retarded abortion and deserve to die off the face of the Earth."

Because 2 years later this still seeps after I've been told that.

PS: The chick wasn't trolling. She was doing it to others too, not just me. Thank God she's not active anymore.
AqutanDec 11, 2014 2:43 PM
Dec 11, 2014 2:49 PM

Apr 2010
Thread moved

Thread moved to the Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion board.
Dec 11, 2014 3:29 PM

Jul 2013
Nicoreos said:
ITT: "If you didn't get Evangelion, you're a mentally retarded abortion and deserve to die off the face of the Earth."

at least read the thread next time
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Dec 11, 2014 6:22 PM

Jun 2013
Kolnikov said:
ex_necross said:

Because they are meaningless with End of Evangelion, as it replaces them. Episode 26 is a literal slideshow.

I actually like the episodes, but for most people watching those 2 episodes will only worsen their Evangelion experience.

It does not replace the original ending, they're different. Watch again.

Erm, no. It definitely provides an alternative ending (the "true" ending if they had not run out of budget) to the TV series.

And I have watched it many, many times. I literally know everything about Evangelion, lol.

Nicoreos said:

Because 2 years later this still seeps after I've been told that.

PS: The chick wasn't trolling. She was doing it to others too, not just me. Thank God she's not active anymore.

Gave Evangelion a 1/10. What a little troll you are.
Dec 11, 2014 6:24 PM

Mar 2012
Negative-Travis said:
Start with Death and Rebirth, then watch the TV series backwards from episode 24 until you get to episode 12. Then watch 1, 4, 5, 9, 6, 2, 10, 3, 11, 7, and finally 8. Episodes 25 and 26 don't matter.

Disregard the Rebuild movies, they're a scam perpetrated by the accountant that did the budgeting for the original show to cash in on the latent popularity of the franchise.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Dec 12, 2014 6:07 AM
Nov 2013
It definitely provides an alternative ending

Why did you say to skip the original ending then? I like both, still prefer the original though, but EoE does not replace, by any means, the original ending. It's an alternative ending. Also, if someone doesn't like the original ending, who cares anyway? That just means this person is not ready for the Evangelion experience and the best the series has to offer. ''Hurr durr, low budget'', who cares about budget when they manage to produce something awesome out of it? Really, you guys call yourselves ''fans'', but have the audacity to say ''skip episode 25 and 26''? LOL.

OP, DO NOT SKIP THE EPISODE 25 AND 26; THEY'RE AWESOME AND IF YOU END UP NOT LIKING IT, TOO BAD, THERE ARE THINGS IN LIFE WE CAN'T ENJOY. BUT EITHER WAY, DO NOT SKIP IT
blankflatDec 12, 2014 6:13 AM
Dec 12, 2014 6:16 AM

Apr 2013
What if:

Dec 12, 2014 6:21 AM
Nov 2013
Really, how can you say they're the same if both have different perspectives, angles, aesthetics, and approach? What's wrong with watching both endings for God's sake? Of course the endings aren't unrelated, but they're different. Saying it's the same thing doesn't comput. Also, just to complement, in the TV series we can't be sure about the choice Shinji made, I'd say is more open, and EoE provides something more concrete.
blankflatDec 12, 2014 6:24 AM
Dec 12, 2014 6:23 AM

Sep 2013
Kolnikov said:
Really, how can you say they're the same if both have different perspectives, angles, aesthetics, and approach? What's wrong with watching both endings for God's sake? Of course the endings aren't unrelated, but they're different. Saying it's the same thing doesn't comput.

They are the same endings, but the TV series ending takes place inside Shinji's head, whereas the movie shows what happened in reality.
Dec 12, 2014 6:26 AM
Nov 2013
They're not the same, you just proved they're different with your post. Different perspectives make something different, as far as I'm concerned.
Dec 12, 2014 6:28 AM

Sep 2013
Well, we seem to have a different idea of what different means. Yes, they are visually very different. But both endings eventually arrive to the same conclusion, if I remember correctly. Although I think the movie does it way better.
Dec 12, 2014 6:30 AM
Nov 2013
cupc said:
Well, we seem to have a different idea of what different means. Yes, they are visually very different. But both endings eventually arrive to the same conclusion, if I remember correctly. Although I think the movie does it way better.

I wouldn't say that
Dec 12, 2014 6:35 AM

Sep 2013
Kolnikov said:
cupc said:

I wouldn't say that

Really? I should probably re-watch the series at some point then. I still remember EoE clearly, having seen the ending multiple times in YouTube, but all I remember from the episode 26 slideshow is the legendary omedetou.
Dec 12, 2014 6:39 AM
Nov 2013
cupc said:
Kolnikov said:

I wouldn't say that

Really? I should probably re-watch the series at some point then. I still remember EoE clearly, having seen the ending multiple times in YouTube, but all I remember from the episode 26 slideshow is the legendary omedetou.

That's the way I took it anyway. That's why I would never recommend skipping the episodes, I thought they were awesome and is probably the best mindfuck I've ever seen until now. EoE is pretty fucking good, I just like the original more because it really made me think hard, and I'm still not sure about what happened.
Dec 26, 2014 10:35 AM

Jan 2013
I don't really think he chose the Instrumentality project. I'm with cupc on this about the endings.

Then again I guess I'm on the same boat coz it has been years since I watched it.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Feb 15, 2015 9:33 AM
Feb 2015
I'm am very lost, I'm trying to buy evangelion DVDs and I don't know where to start I mean I under stand rebuild is different from the original series and that rebuild is a quadtrilogy but the original series is so complicated there's 26 episode and d and r and eoe but I just found out about renewed and revival and death(true) and death(true)2 and resurrection genesis reborn and some laserdics collection that has a Asuka and Tojo parallel relationship. Can some one please help me understand all of this stuff about the original series please.
Feb 15, 2015 9:35 AM

Sep 2013
Swaprin said:
I'm am very lost, I'm trying to buy evangelion DVDs and I don't know where to start I mean I under stand rebuild is different from the original series and that rebuild is a quadtrilogy but the original series is so complicated there's 26 episode and d and r and eoe but I just found out about renewed and revival and death(true) and death(true)2 and resurrection genesis reborn and some laserdics collection that has a Asuka and Tojo parallel relationship. Can some one please help me understand all of this stuff about the original series please.

Watch it in this order

TV series -> End of Evangelion -> Rebuilds (Optional, they are an alternative retelling of the story)

Death and Rebirth is just a recap, there is absolutely no reason to watch it.
Apr 7, 2015 2:45 PM
Dec 2013
don't watch at all its shit
May 31, 2015 5:30 PM

Jun 2011
If you want to be traumatized even more than the series by that piece of Satan's crap, End of Evangelion, then be in for the worse hell that awaits us.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Aug 24, 2016 12:23 AM
Nov 2015
jayss said:

What's this one on about?
Sep 21, 2016 5:38 AM
Sep 2016
Watch Ep 1-26.
Skip Death and Rebirth
Watch EOE
Then watch the Movies if you want more.

For me ep 26 is awesome.
In the end Shinji simply chooses hope. Where as EOE he chooses... ^^
Feb 2, 2017 5:27 AM
Jul 2015
evebathowsai said:
Watch Ep 1-26.
Skip Death and Rebirth
Watch EOE
Then watch the Movies if you want more.

For me ep 26 is awesome.
In the end Shinji simply chooses hope. Where as EOE he chooses... ^^

Due to this, I'd rather say he chooses hope in EoE.
DevolanFeb 2, 2017 5:31 AM
Apr 10, 2017 1:13 AM
Jun 2011
Ep 1-24, then End of Evangelion. That way, you've consumed the entirety of the plot.

Then, you can watch episode 25-26 if you want to get an expanded feel of the philosophy behind the show and the psychology of the characters - though the 28 episodes of plot is already full of that kind of thing.

You're also free to watch Rebuild any time after EoE. Some people suggest watching 1.0 instead of the first 6 episodes. I think the show is better for the sake of avoiding confusion, and in case you're a weirdo like me who enjoys episode 4 (it was way better on a re-watch after 5 years).

If you wanna watch it parallel with the series, 1.0 covers episodes 1-6, 2.0 covers episodes 8-19 (7 is filler), and 3.0 covers episodes 21-24 with some 25-26' tendencies. 1.0+3.0 (AKA Final AKA 4.0) will probably be some sort of parody of End of Evangelion.
Apr 10, 2017 1:46 AM

Apr 2016
BoyHime732 said:
1.0 covers episodes 1-6, 2.0 covers episodes 8-19 (7 is filler), and 3.0 covers episodes 21-24 with some 25-26' tendencies. 1.0+3.0 (AKA Final AKA 4.0) will probably be some sort of parody of End of Evangelion.

There is no such thing as "filler" in NGE anime because its original work.

Second, Rebuilds are not a remakes or "remasters" they are completely different story.

And last Anno himself said that 4.0 will have completely different and original ending.
Apr 10, 2017 2:55 AM
Jun 2011
Swagernator said:
BoyHime732 said:
1.0 covers episodes 1-6, 2.0 covers episodes 8-19 (7 is filler), and 3.0 covers episodes 21-24 with some 25-26' tendencies. 1.0+3.0 (AKA Final AKA 4.0) will probably be some sort of parody of End of Evangelion.

There is no such thing as "filler" in NGE anime because its original work.

Second, Rebuilds are not a remakes or "remasters" they are completely different story.

And last Anno himself said that 4.0 will have completely different and original ending.

I know that's all technically true but it doesn't really matter. The Jet Alone episode is a good episode that people should watch, but it's not vital to the part of the story of Rebuild. If my calling it filler means it sounds like I'm saying to skip it, then I regret calling it filler.

I never said the Rebuild was a "remake" or "remaster", I just said the Rebuild movies each "cover" a part of the series. Which is to say if you've seen that part of the series, you can watch that part of Rebuild.

And the post 3.0 trailer has
so there's at least some sort of resemblance to EoE that's going to happen. It's certainly not a movie you can go into without seeing EoE first.

Though arguably the whole of Rebuild is that way, since every film has at least one EoE reference.
Apr 10, 2017 3:10 AM

Apr 2016
BoyHime732 said:
so there's at least some sort of resemblance to EoE that's going to happen. It's certainly not a movie you can go into without seeing EoE first.

I must argue with that, Rebuilds were made precisely for those who won't or didnt want to watch the original series + movie. Anyone can watch rebuilds series without knowledge of original story, that's point of Rebuilds.
Apr 11, 2017 7:13 PM
Jun 2011
Swagernator said:
BoyHime732 said:

I must argue with that, Rebuilds were made precisely for those who won't or didnt want to watch the original series + movie. Anyone can watch rebuilds series without knowledge of original story, that's point of Rebuilds.

Fair point. You can watch Rebuild without watching the parts of NGE and EoE it refers to.

But since the thread was about "what order to watch Eva in", I stick by my advice on what order to watch if you watch it all.
Apr 9, 2018 11:33 AM
Apr 2018
Kokko said:
Kolnikov said:

The original ending might be deeper for displaying Shinji's psychological status but it pretty much ignores so many other important plot points that need to be resolved. It ignores all other important characters and shows them through Shinji's POV and keeps the HIP very vague showing shinji as a part of it but not explaining what the heck actually happened to him.
So, one can watch 25,26 for the mind fucks but they must watch EoE for a decent conclusion. The way EoE ends is still not very comprehensive.
Apr 28, 2018 5:24 PM

Feb 2018
woodenotaku said:
Kokko said:

The original ending might be deeper for displaying Shinji's psychological status but it pretty much ignores so many other important plot points that need to be resolved. It ignores all other important characters and shows them through Shinji's POV and keeps the HIP very vague showing shinji as a part of it but not explaining what the heck actually happened to him.
So, one can watch 25,26 for the mind fucks but they must watch EoE for a decent conclusion. The way EoE ends is still not very comprehensive.

Well, I would disagree. Eps 25-26 had a satisfying feel to them, because the show was, after all, Shinji's battle with himself.
in EoE, you have million things happening, but nothing actually gets explained properly, the ending felt much less conclusive.
May 18, 2018 3:40 PM

Jan 2013
TV episodes director cut version 1 to 24. After that End of Evangelion.

After that 25 and 26.

After that Rebuild of Evangelion.
Dec 10, 2018 9:14 AM
Dec 2018
Is m soo confused
Anyone explain the detail

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think Shinji is irredeemable?

TASM18 - Apr 15

20 by Ten »»
Apr 18, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion - The End of Evangelion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Zerachroma - Jun 13, 2008

533 by rengoku09_ »»
Apr 1, 5:57 AM

» should i watch this movie instead of 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 and the movie

CRG - Aug 21, 2023

44 by Invisible_King »»
Mar 20, 1:27 PM

» There's nothing romantic about Asuka and Shinji

Sanjay63773 - Oct 26, 2022

37 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 17, 1:01 PM

» how to watch?

misasdeathnote0 - Dec 19, 2023

18 by KitsuFrost »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.