Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 5, 2017 6:48 AM

Nov 2016
My interests have always lied in body switching + plot twists and while this movie was pretty good, it was definitely overrated. I watched it expecting to be blown away and for the first half, I was. When the second half came along, that's when it went down hill pretty quickly. Sometimes trailers have the awful habit of hyping a movie up and getting this image stuck in your head of what they want you to see it as, then deliver something completely different that causes disappointment. I feel like this is exactly what this movie did. But I liked it nonetheless. Wouldn't see it again tho lol
・゚☆✧you were like a glass and I always melted in you

Mar 6, 2017 5:16 AM
Mar 2017
The problem I have is how Taki actually ended up falling in love with mitsuha, I mean at first I thought he wanted to Save Mitsuha out of human decency. But never thought he'd launch the initiative and confess. On the contrary I could see how Mitsuha could develop and affection to this handsome tokyo boy. I just think it was never explained at all, but due to the pacing, I overlooked this problem at first.

I guess fate is the best answer for this sort of stuff.
Mar 12, 2017 3:00 AM

Jan 2015
Best Makoto Shinkai film by far, gave it a 9.

Yes is my answer though.
Mar 12, 2017 10:26 AM

Jan 2017
I think it matters little how good or not it is, but how much it resonates with people and their personal experiences (particularly love). I will subjectively say that it is the best animated film I have seen in years, if not one of the best films period, because it evoked laughter, sadness, and utter joy, to me. My experience and emotional journey were nothing short of perfect, having lived similar experiences, (mainly impossible love etc). Kimi no Na Wa thus resonated with me, and I justly think it deserves all the hype it gets and more, with 10 being an absolutely spot on rating.

Objectively speaking? I think we can all agree that there are some problems, mainly characterization and how Taki just "falls in love", not to mention how they don't seem to think of communicating, but, once again subjectively, I really don't care. I cried several times during the film, and I never cry during films. Hell, I never cry ever. So yes, it deserves all the hype it gets and more, in my opinion. I also think that we as a community need to stop attacking (not here, but in general) every new anime that gets hyped (unless it is truly bad) just because we disagree with the praise it gets. Kimi no Na Wa's myriad of 1 ratings are a perfect example of this.
MorgormirApr 27, 2017 3:13 PM
Yes, I'm 可愛い as fuck.
Mar 13, 2017 3:01 AM

Apr 2013
Overrated, I admit I was a bit lost with how the multiverse thing worked, but I found way too many elements similar to 5 cm..At least the twist was a nice one. Definitely better than Shinkai's last two works, I'll tell you that.
Mar 27, 2017 3:46 AM
Sep 2016
Maccaz said:
More overrated than Gintama and that's saying something.

Indeed. I mean I am not denying the greatness of Gintama, but it is declining recently despite the high rating for the latest season.

KNW is great, and absolutely a masterpiece, but it is hard to determine whether it is the best work of Shinkai has ever made. I somehow prefer styles of Byousoku 5 Cen. The sorrow of reality, love and fate....
Mar 27, 2017 4:19 AM

Jan 2016
"it's higher rated than my fav animu or doesn't fit to my complete made up list to look like a elitist therefor it is overrated shit"

this is mal, Baby.
Mar 30, 2017 1:44 PM

Mar 2013
It was a good movie.
Solid 7/10 maybe 7,5/10.
but 9,33/10??? No.
So yes it's overrated as hell.

Kotonoha no Niwa was better than Kimi no na wa. both from Makoto Shinkai.
_junoMar 31, 2017 9:21 AM
Mar 30, 2017 8:10 PM
Mar 2017
Wiziliz said:

Yes is my answer though.

I agree with this. Still above 8.5 any day of the week.

But since it is a great movie I am not going to get negative and pour hate on something beautiful.
Mar 30, 2017 10:17 PM

Jan 2015
Detector1977 said:
Wiziliz said:

Yes is my answer though.

I agree with this. Still above 8.5 any day of the week.

But since it is a great movie I am not going to get negative and pour hate on something beautiful.
It sure is a beautiful film.
Mar 30, 2017 10:20 PM
Nov 2016
I loved it myself but I do believe it is overrated, 9.33 rating is too high.
I believe somewhere between 8.5-9 would suit it better.

Mar 31, 2017 5:24 AM
Mar 2017
Morgormir said:
I think it matters little how good or not it is, but how much it resonates with people and their personal experiences (particularly love). I will subjectively say that it is the best animated film I have seen in years, if not one of the best films period, because it evoked laughter, sadness, and utter joy, to me. My experience and emotional journey were nothing short of perfect, having lived similar experiences, (mainly impossible love etc). Kimi no Na Wa thus resonated with me, and I justly think it deserves all the hype it gets and more, with 10 being an absolutely spot on rating.

Objectively speaking? I think we can all agree that there are some problems, mainly charaterization and how Taki just "falls in love", not to mention how they don't seem to think of communicating, but, once again subjectively, I really don't care. I cried several times during the film, and I never cry during films. Hell, I never cry ever. So yes, it deserves all the hype it gets and more, in my opinion. I also think that we as a community need to stop attacking (not here, but in general) every new anime that gets hyped (unless it is truly bad) just because we disagree with the praise it gets. Kimi no Na Wa's myriad of 1 ratings are a perfect example of this.
Exactly Right... It deserve this ratings..
Apr 3, 2017 4:04 AM

May 2010
Well, something needs to be on the top. Besides ratings aren't everything. I still need to watch it tho, must be good.
Apr 5, 2017 1:46 PM
Jun 2015
In the first review of Kimi no Shit wa.(2206 found it helpful that means most of the 10 guys who see reviews xd) , jgaar's scores were:

Story: 7
Art: 10
Sound: 9
Character: 7
Enjoyment: 10
Overall: 9

So the story is 7 and the chars are 7 then wtf is this 9,32 score
Apr 5, 2017 6:10 PM

Oct 2014
Extremely so, the movie isn't bad but it isn't stellar either. About congruent with Erased imo so it gets a 6/10 from me.
Apr 6, 2017 6:01 AM

Nov 2012
The movie is pretty much average. It feels like this 5 centimeterswhatever , totally bland and shallow.
Don't waste your time watching this clusterfuck of nonsense romance bullshit , watch some spirited away if you want good japanese movie.
Apr 6, 2017 10:18 PM
Sep 2010
BlackEnigma said:
The movie is pretty much average. It feels like this 5 centimeterswhatever , totally bland and shallow.
Don't waste your time watching this clusterfuck of nonsense romance bullshit , watch some spirited away if you want good japanese movie.

lel
Kimi no na wa was a thousand times better than spirited away imho
Apr 7, 2017 4:23 AM

May 2016
Overrated? With 9.32 score I think that's putting it lightly for utter mess of a plot it had. 4-5 is the more realistic score.
Apr 7, 2017 1:59 PM

Mar 2015
It has earned its reputation. Its a show you need to pay attention to while watching, which may throw some people off. The dub is excellent, by the way. I highly recommend it.
The sword that takes life gives life
Apr 7, 2017 6:48 PM

Sep 2010
Just watched it in theaters today. I can safely say it deserves the 9+ score. It achieved many themes and incorporates soo much emotion, melancholy, and nostalgia of adolescents in a perfect flowed way.
Apr 7, 2017 9:00 PM

Jun 2011
Just watched in theaters today, and I would agree that it is a bit overrated. There were parts of the movie that hit home quite a bit, but on the whole, I left the theater feeling decidedly "meh" about the story and characters. The presentation, on the other hand, was spot on: the art/animation is spectacular and the music was not only good but also really fitting for the type of movie. Radwimps is to Your Name as The Pillows are to FLCL, in my opinion.

However, I do still think that Makoto's best film is 5 Centimeters Per Second, and Your Name didn't surpass what that movie did no matter how much I (or Shinkai himself) wanted it to. Is the movie worth watching? Yes, definitely. Probably one of the better anime movies to come out in recent years. But was it earthshattering? Not really.

I would probably peg it around the 8.5-8.8 range of scores if it was up to me, although I personally gave it a 6 (weird rating scale, I know).
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Apr 8, 2017 12:29 PM

Nov 2012
MarvMan said:
BlackEnigma said:

lel
Kimi no na wa was a thousand times better than spirited away imho

People getting crazy over some bullshit 15 years old romance and shiny stars background with characters that have the charisma of rotten potatoes , all that wrapped in a plot with some much holes that you litteraly fall for the shit.
Apr 8, 2017 1:45 PM

Feb 2012
Lol "slightly"?... LOL
The masses flock to popularity. Even if a series is moderately watchable, the verdict of it's "greatness" will always reflect upon it's popularity. Much like those who claim "team iPhone"; they will always vouch for the product solely due to the popularity without even caring/knowing much about the competitors. They become lost in the high praises and the flaws often tend to fly over their heads. A trans which clouds ones logic. The anime community is filled with those of that mindset. However, this isn't a terrible issue because every individual has their own experience when watching anime. There are no guidelines as to what is and isn't enjoyable, no reference book specifying one series a masterpiece while another is appalling and there is most definitely no numerical score that can truly reflect the notability of an anime. It all comes down to an individuals preference and opinion... even if that individual prefers to lean towards the opinion of the masses. To each their own. I thought "Kimi no na wa," was a good watch but I don't seem to see what was so spectacular about it to shake up the anime community the way it did. Highly overrated; but hey, that's just my opinion.
Apr 8, 2017 4:56 PM

Mar 2016
In the context of MAL, I wouldn't say its overrated given the general quality of the other entries in the Top 20. Not saying any names but Your Name has more justification for being up there than many of the other entries do, in my opinion.

It has its flaws, and sure, if you attach a ton of importance to having a well-structured plot and complex characters, I can picture not liking it. But, to be honest, given the other strengths that the film has, to me that seems like missing the forest for the trees. Like complaining that there isn't enough sharp detail in a Van Gogh painting, to use an analogy.
Apr 8, 2017 8:34 PM

May 2014
It may not ever have been able to match the hype, but it came close to me. I loved it, thought it was fantastic.
"My name is John Locke, and I'm responsible
for the well being of this Island"
Apr 8, 2017 10:34 PM

Sep 2011
It's overrrated but still a good movie. The story lacks in a lot of places and the cliches really don't help, but overall the show is still good. I think a theater atmosphere brings out the movie more than watching it alone.

Basically:

Story:7-8
Art: 10
Animation: 10
Sound: 9
Characters: 7-8
TyrelMay 26, 2017 3:00 AM
Apr 9, 2017 5:09 PM

Jun 2013
I always get a kick out of this idea. How do you define if something is overrated? That's just as subjective as defining whether something is "good" or "bad." And this concept that people just blindly fall prey to hype is silly, too - something doesn't gain momentum or hype unless it has some level of quality in the first place. In order to gain any level of popularity something has to do a pretty damn good job of entertaining people. And the hype will bring pretty even numbers of fanboys and haters, so it's really a wash anyway.

The bottom line is that whether something is good or bad is entirely subjective. And the only reliable way we have of quantifying that is to compile as many opinions as possible. MAL alone has over 320,000 votes on this particular anime, which is a sample size far, far beyond anything required to make a proper judgment.

So no, Kimi no na wa is not overrated, nor is it underrated. It is perfectly appropriately rated. That doesn't mean that everyone has to like it.

Apr 9, 2017 5:12 PM

Aug 2015
It was really good, but I do think it was slightly overrated.
Apr 9, 2017 7:56 PM

Mar 2017
TL;DR - MAL needs 8.5 and 9.5 in the rating options.

Warning long AF first post boiii: I feel like sometimes we instinctively seek out flaws with a movie as hyped as this one and become obsessed with only thinking about them in an attempt to disprove the masses and express individuality, so I tried to recognize the flaws but also compare them and the movie to other movies I've enjoyed just as much that weren't hyped.

I thought the first half was perfect, but the second half was convoluted and fell victim to Shinkai's reliance on inner monologue instead of natural dialogue. IMO, telling (narration) is the easy way out and is usually a sign of weak writing, no matter how "good" the actual writing is, if that makes sense. Show what is going on purely through the imagery and natural dialogue. This was the biggest flaw with 5cm per second IMO and killed that movie for me - not the lack of imagery of course, but the lack of dialogue with narration in its place. The ending in Kimi no Na wa was also really expected if you've seen his other films, so I think that isn't an issue to people who are seeing this as their first Shinkai film - they probably find the ending brilliant rather than repetitive.

Yes there were a lot of plot holes stemming from the aforementioned convoluted second act and even a couple in the first, but many anime are guilty of this so I didn't hold it against this one too much. I was satisfied with the investment in the characters although it could've been better. From a pure enjoyment standpoint I did like this movie a lot, so it's a low 9/10 (8.5ish) for me. As for being overrated, it is only in the sense that - because of the average rating - probably half the people who rated it rated it a 10 after seeing it once. As someone else has stated in this thread, relative to everything else in the top 20 I don't think it's that overrated because I think almost everything in the top 20 is overrated, at times vastly so.

Ultimately a lot of the overrated/underrated arguments on MAL stem from the really poor descriptions linked to the numerical ratings. Why is 9 just "Great" and 10 "Masterpiece"? That's too big a jump. I thought this was a great film, so it got a 9 from me. Maybe when I watch it again the flaws will become a bigger hindrance in my eyes and I'll drop it to an 8. I can understand why so many people would give it 10s as it has all the characteristics of a film made to appeal to the masses, but I do think they are overlooking flaws or are oblivious to them. Or they let the emotional aspect cloud them, tears will do that. I've shed some salt water watching anime before but this didn't do it for me, maybe that's why I didn't give it a 10 like half the site ; ) EDIT: I'm already dropping it to an 8 lol... I mean I would rate it at 8.5 but I can't, I guess I feel it's closer to an 8 than a 9 after reading what I wrote.
ImperfectBlueApr 9, 2017 8:06 PM
Apr 9, 2017 8:23 PM
May 2014
It's a masterwork that deals with extremely substantial ideas of modern relationships, love, puberty, nature, man made technology, etc

I hate how people always cling to plot and judge the work purely on that level. It tells me how little their opinion matters.

Experience more art. Just because this doesn't spell every single detail that so much anime tries to do to the point of where it means absolutely nothing, doesn't mean it isn't Extremely affecting and substantial. Trash like Death Note and full metal alchemist is praised here when neither of those works say anything at all, but cuz they spell everything out to get the desperate nod of approval that it doesn't have plot errors, it's good? Gimme a fucking break.

As for the overrated discussion, idk about it being the best anime of all time. But it certainly shits on most of the anime in the top 20 on this site and clearly if it continually gets great sales without any connection to a franchise or reputation and just off reviews and word of mouth, that tells me that it isn't a case of being overrated.

VKDOOMApr 9, 2017 8:28 PM
Apr 9, 2017 9:10 PM

Mar 2017
Totally agree on the Death Note point, all that show did was pander to the viewer to explain the plot rather than showing (though it did have some aspects worthy of praise), but I think your classifying this as a masterpiece with no in-depth analysis is exactly what people in this thread are looking at. I thought this film was great but in terms of depictions of relationships, puberty, man-made technology, etc, there are many anime that exceed this one. The aspects of puberty and man-made technology you bring up were particularly superficial, literally only skin deep on the puberty. Just as there are people like myself and others in this thread who like to nitpick in a way that irritates you, there are people who try to make things out to be more than they really are. I'm gonna sound like someone's mom no matter how I put this but* it's much better to talk it out rather than jump in and bash people for having a different opinion.
Apr 9, 2017 9:26 PM

Oct 2012
Yes of course I'll just post the score I gave it, which is lower than MAL's score. That's sure to prove how overrated it is because my score is always the correct score. The movie is mediocre and should be no more than a 5 because I'm correct, and those millions of people who loved it are just wrong.
Apr 10, 2017 12:43 AM

Jun 2012
Eh. I can see a lot of people having issues with the overly complicated plot. I had to do some research to understand what the hell was going on with some of the events that took place, and I still have no idea why Taki was chosen as the body swapee in the first place (other than it had to be someone). The rest checks out if you suspend your disbelief a bit more than normal. I really liked it though. It mostly lived up to the hype for me, though I probably wouldn't put it in my top 5.
Apr 10, 2017 4:24 PM

Jul 2014
VKDOOM said:
It's a masterwork that deals with extremely substantial ideas of modern relationships, love, puberty, nature, man made technology, etc

I hate how people always cling to plot and judge the work purely on that level. It tells me how little their opinion matters.

Experience more art. Just because this doesn't spell every single detail that so much anime tries to do to the point of where it means absolutely nothing, doesn't mean it isn't Extremely affecting and substantial. Trash like Death Note and full metal alchemist is praised here when neither of those works say anything at all, but cuz they spell everything out to get the desperate nod of approval that it doesn't have plot errors, it's good? Gimme a fucking break.

As for the overrated discussion, idk about it being the best anime of all time. But it certainly shits on most of the anime in the top 20 on this site and clearly if it continually gets great sales without any connection to a franchise or reputation and just off reviews and word of mouth, that tells me that it isn't a case of being overrated.

"Experience more art" - oh, I'm so sorry, Mr./Ms. Art Connoisseur, for being too stupid and shallow to fully appreciate the supposed masterwork that is Your Name.

Your comment sounds so elitist and condescending that I can't take it seriously, especially when you yourself don't provide any substantial analysis on why you think Your Name is so bloody amazing (I personally think it's a good/maybe great movie, 8/10, but not really higher than that).
LightBladeNovaApr 10, 2017 4:36 PM
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Apr 11, 2017 5:36 PM
May 2014
TsundereHeart said:
VKDOOM said:
Care to explain?

I liked the movie a lot, but this didn't stand out to me as a theme so I was curious on what made you list it as one.

Shinkai has been interested in the concepts of man made technology blending with nature since Voices of a Distant Star. I think it is made most apparent in 5 Cm Per Second, where we literally see our characters becoming further and further isolated from one another as technology itself develops from the first act to the third. Despite smartphones and social media being around by the third act of that film, they aren't used for any form of social bonding as Takaki has become isolated from everyone around him.

Its important to understand that idea especially going into this film. We literally see Shinkai play with the notions of objects and humans right next to each other, yet completely oblivious to each other's being. There are shots of man made technology like radios next to fire, which is similar in some ways to some of the framing shots in the film involving Taki and Mitsuha where they are side by side to one another and yet are not aware of who the other is whether its due to timing or a force of nature. I think in many ways Shinkai has paralleled that to technology vs nature in the film as well, where man keeps advancing their place in this world while nature moves at its own pace, completely ignorant of man's advancements. This is shown with the central conflict of Your Name being this village completely obliterated by a comet, which is seen as something magical to behold by most of the characters, except for the ones who die by it. It is often rare in Your Name (and most of Shinkai's filmography) where the characters ever take a second to acknowledge the nature of their world, but when they do it is often a climactic moment. Much like Mitsuha and Taki, man and nature live almost unbeknownst to one another. Until they're not.
Apr 11, 2017 5:41 PM
May 2014
JTaslak said:
Totally agree on the Death Note point, all that show did was pander to the viewer to explain the plot rather than showing (though it did have some aspects worthy of praise), but I think your classifying this as a masterpiece with no in-depth analysis is exactly what people in this thread are looking at. I thought this film was great but in terms of depictions of relationships, puberty, man-made technology, etc, there are many anime that exceed this one. The aspects of puberty and man-made technology you bring up were particularly superficial, literally only skin deep on the puberty. Just as there are people like myself and others in this thread who like to nitpick in a way that irritates you, there are people who try to make things out to be more than they really are. I'm gonna sound like someone's mom no matter how I put this but* it's much better to talk it out rather than jump in and bash people for having a different opinion.

the aspects of puberty and man made technology are far from superficial. The aspect of puberty is literally one of the most central aspects of this film and it is done in easily the most beautiful way I have ever seen an anime do it. I think certain elements are done very quickly and not really covered, which is perhaps why Shinkai has said he felt Your Name was rushed. But I also think that lends itself to a very detailed film with a ton of substance. The entire montage scene set to ZenZenZense is extremely substantial itself just to the ideas of two teens growing up themselves and opening up to a side of themselves they never knew, and its literally covered in a masterfully crafted scene.

Shinkai doesn't spend a whole lot of time exploring a number of these concepts, but when he does do it, it is beautifully done and it all comes together as a fascinating exploration of these themes all set in a very unique and auteurist experience.
Apr 11, 2017 5:44 PM
May 2014
LightBladeNova said:
VKDOOM said:

"Experience more art" - oh, I'm so sorry, Mr./Ms. Art Connoisseur, for being too stupid and shallow to fully appreciate the supposed masterwork that is Your Name.

Your comment sounds so elitist and condescending that I can't take it seriously, especially when you yourself don't provide any substantial analysis on why you think Your Name is so bloody amazing (I personally think it's a good/maybe great movie, 8/10, but not really higher than that).

while that might be how it comes off as, there is clearly a difference between someone like you who has only watched 32 anime and someone who has seen over 200+. It gives that person more of a perspective on what has been done before and also a better understanding of the history of an art form and how it has evolved.

And when I say "experience more art", I'm not just talking about anime. Watching filmmakers like Andrei Tarkovsky and Terrence Malick really gives you an idea of how Makoto Shinkai has emerged as one of the most exciting voices in anime because his influences themselves lend him to make anime that is extremely unique and different from most of what we see (certainly from this century).
Apr 12, 2017 5:05 PM

Aug 2015
VKDOOM said:
TsundereHeart said:
Care to explain?

I liked the movie a lot, but this didn't stand out to me as a theme so I was curious on what made you list it as one.

Shinkai has been interested in the concepts of man made technology blending with nature since Voices of a Distant Star. I think it is made most apparent in 5 Cm Per Second, where we literally see our characters becoming further and further isolated from one another as technology itself develops from the first act to the third. Despite smartphones and social media being around by the third act of that film, they aren't used for any form of social bonding as Takaki has become isolated from everyone around him.

Going back to your point about Takaki in 5cm/sec and technology, it's interesting to note that he becomes a professional software developer/programmer, which can be inferred by the books he has in his office.
Apr 12, 2017 5:15 PM

Jul 2015
Slightly overrated is a pretty big understatement
Apr 12, 2017 9:55 PM

Jan 2008
Not at all. I loved the film, I've seen it 3 times so far, will probably see it a 4th time before it leaves theaters. It might be just recency bias but I feel like this film could be in my top 5 for all movies and probably #1 for Anime movies.

I can understand some of the criticisms people have with it and those are mostly things that just don't seem to bother me at all. The movie really resonated with me and hit so many emotional notes that have really stuck with me.

Does it deserve to be regarded as the greatest anime of all time? Probably not, but I don't know what should be considered the greatest anime of all time. Do I think it deserves all the hype and popularity, Yes.
Apr 12, 2017 11:08 PM

Aug 2013
I was ready to be disappointed with the movie but have to admit it was very good and if was showing more then once at my theater might have seen it a second time but will pick up the bluray.

Do I think it was the best anime ever?

No but deserves its spot in the top ten much more then some of the other entries that are there like Gintama which has less then half of the people who have watched Kimi No Na Wa and its been out for 6 years.
Apr 13, 2017 5:37 AM

Oct 2011
I guess they dont realize they are in different time lines my phone says the date when i turn it on i mean in school dont people write the date when taking notes cmon now
Apr 13, 2017 12:55 PM

Oct 2014
I think its a little bit overrated but I still loved it. It speaks more to the heart, than the mind. So even though it has some obvious plot holes, I don't place too much importance on it. Still think Spirited Away is the greatest anime movie though.
Apr 13, 2017 2:00 PM

Aug 2016
It is a genuinely good movie, definitely worth your time to watch it in cinemas.
But it isn't nearly as powerful as some other western made films (such as schindlers list) or grave of the fireflies for anime movies.

slán abhaile corcaigh
Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin

☘ ☘ ☘

Currently stealing your heart,
your women and also your job

Apr 14, 2017 3:42 AM
Oct 2012
It was a good movie. I really enjoyed (already watched it like 3 times) and I don't mind the fact that it got unreasonably high ratings. Besides there are factors beside just the story, such as art, music and voice acting that makes a story deserve better ratings. I rarely rate things by solid numbers anyway so it doesn't really matter imo...
Apr 14, 2017 9:35 AM

Apr 2015
Really enjoyed the movie. The exact same thought crossed my mind while I was watching the movie, even paused it and thought back about what event would actually make them fall so in love like that. Mitsuhas friends falling for each other felt even more realistic IMO. Still gave it a 9 though, great show.
Apr 15, 2017 9:31 PM
May 2014
TheKillerAngel said:
VKDOOM said:

Going back to your point about Takaki in 5cm/sec and technology, it's interesting to note that he becomes a professional software developer/programmer, which can be inferred by the books he has in his office.

Yes, there are certainly a lot of details like that. It becomes interesting too in ways that the advancement of technology also hinders the one way the characters used to communicate, which was via mail. We see Takaki checking his mail box at random times in the film and eventually by the end, he isn't getting anymore mail from her.
Apr 15, 2017 11:05 PM

Oct 2011
It's not too far-fetched that they would fall in love with each other. Although they briefly gloss over the fact that they had to teach other to live the other person's life, presumably there should be much more going on in the background.

This isn't a normal relationship where they tell each other things from their own viewpoint. They are literally living inside the other person, forced to give up the most private of details to ensure that the other person does not ruin their life. Literally being in another person's shoes for such a long time develops a greater level of intimacy, more than if you were seeing them as yourself.

Although some plot points like how the time travel and body-swapping worked were kind of glossed over, it was still a very enjoyable movie imo.
KefkirothApr 15, 2017 11:08 PM
Apr 16, 2017 7:43 AM
Sep 2015
Shinkai himself said that part was a reflection of an old poem from the 1590s. Best Google Translate version I could find says it goes:

Show a lot of things happing at once,
Remind everyone of what's going on (what's going on?)
And with every shot you show a little improvement
To show it all would take too long
That's called a montage (montage)
Oh we want montage (montage)
Apr 17, 2017 11:38 AM

Mar 2014
It's the worst Makoto Shinkai movie so far.

Is it still good? Yes.

Does it deserves it's place in the ranking? LOLNOPE.
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Na wa. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

checkdafool - Jul 3, 2016

1387 by Hphone »»
Yesterday, 4:51 AM

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

JuliusKingsley0 - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.