Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Big Order
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 4, 2016 6:59 AM
Apr 2012
I've enjoyed Big Order and Taboo Tattoo very much, and I was wondering if there's a name for this type of genre? Sure, you may say "Action", "Supernatural"... but that's not what I'm referring to. Here are the things that Taboo Tattoo and Big Order have in common that makes me absolutely love them both.

1- Extremely rushed.
2- No calm/peaceful/dull moments.
3- Filled with plotholes.
4- Music is always intense and something is always happening.
5- Personalities are inconsistent (anyone can betray anyone).
6- Everyone is always agitated and shouting (especially the MC in Big Order).
7- Lazy animation (note: not bad animation, lazy animation. know the difference.)
8- Fanservice, fanservice, fanservice (not neccessary, but a welcome bonus)

^While most of these points may seem negative, together they form an anime that is 100% pure entertainment every week. If you manage to change your mentality beforehand, you'll find yourself enjoying the show precisely for the the same reasons that other people have for hating it. To put it simply, you're never bored with this type of anime.

Personally, I refer to this type of show as "so bad it's good". Unfortunately however, that term will always be taken as an insult by those ignorant to what it actually means, so I was wondering if there was a more "positive" word/name for shows like this? Also, are there any more?
Sep 6, 2016 8:16 PM

Jan 2011
Uh...if I wanted to watched so bad it's good...I got Ikki Tousen and Queens Blade.

The shows you mention just suck. Sigh....we can never call an anime truly good or truly bad because someone will always do an asspull. Critical thinking is dead.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Sep 6, 2016 8:34 PM

Aug 2016
There's a fine line between 'so bad its good' and 'so bad its dropped'. I never bothered with Big Order but with Taboo Tattoo I unfortunately had to drop it.

That said, I'm sure there are several examples. Particularly the 80s would have a lot of things like that.
See anime and figure reviews below.
http://tinyurl.com/DrLockdownYoutube
Sep 6, 2016 8:36 PM

Jan 2011
DrLockdown said:
There's a fine line between 'so bad its good' and 'so bad its dropped'. I never bothered with Big Order but with Taboo Tattoo I unfortunately had to drop it.

That said, I'm sure there are several examples. Particularly the 80s would have a lot of things like that.
and yeah saying that doesn't deflect criticism from it.
Sep 6, 2016 8:38 PM

Aug 2016
MasterHavik said:
DrLockdown said:

That's kind of the point with these series though, isn't it? We criticise them but love them regardless? Just because a series is good or bad in specific categories doesn't mean a person has to like or dislike it.
Sep 6, 2016 9:23 PM

Jan 2011
DrLockdown said:
MasterHavik said:

That's kind of the point with these series though, isn't it? We criticise them but love them regardless? Just because a series is good or bad in specific categories doesn't mean a person has to like or dislike it.
but taboo tattoo is really bad...on many levels...and according to the manga it is not much better. Now if it had decent anime and better character it could be excuse...but the animation and artwork are flat out awful.
Sep 6, 2016 9:45 PM

Aug 2016
MasterHavik said:
DrLockdown said:

but taboo tattoo is really bad...on many levels...and according to the manga it is not much better. Now if it had decent anime and better character it could be excuse...but the animation and artwork are flat out awful.

I know. As I said, it started out for me being bad but enjoyable but eventually I dropped it.

I'm just saying other examples. And hey, as long as you can criticise anything and see its flaws you should be able to make decisions of what you like and don't like.
Sep 6, 2016 10:19 PM

Jan 2011
DrLockdown said:
MasterHavik said:

I know. As I said, it started out for me being bad but enjoyable but eventually I dropped it.

I'm just saying other examples. And hey, as long as you can criticise anything and see its flaws you should be able to make decisions of what you like and don't like.
True but I feel a show like ikki tousen does this better. Same with queens blade.
Sep 6, 2016 10:26 PM

Aug 2016
MasterHavik said:
DrLockdown said:

True but I feel a show like ikki tousen does this better. Same with queens blade.

Doesn't that just prove my point? Fine line? I'm saying that Taboo Tattoo fails, nothing more.
Sep 28, 2016 4:48 AM

Nov 2013
In the case of Big Order, it is plainly sucks.
DannyTheDonkeySep 28, 2016 4:54 AM
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Sep 28, 2016 4:50 AM

Sep 2009
MasterHavik said:
Uh...if I wanted to watched so bad it's good...I got Ikki Tousen and Queens Blade.

The shows you mention just suck. Sigh....we can never call an anime truly good or truly bad because someone will always do an asspull. Critical thinking is dead.

^
I mean, they're bad, but they have some action thrown in. Doesn't make them good or so bad they go out the other end.

If you want anime that are so bad they're good: Dead Leaves and Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 28, 2016 2:27 PM

Jan 2011
MortalMelancholy said:
MasterHavik said:

^
I mean, they're bad, but they have some action thrown in. Doesn't make them good or so bad they go out the other end.

If you want anime that are so bad they're good: Dead Leaves and Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan
Sup. And well...let me just finish this show since I am halfway done with it anyway.
Apr 9, 2017 8:43 PM
Jul 2018
I really wonder, if Big Order is that bad, because the summary seems quite interesting... and at that point I'm too afraid to ask.
May 7, 2017 11:25 PM

Jul 2015
Maneki-Mew said:
I really wonder, if Big Order is that bad, because the summary seems quite interesting... and at that point I'm too afraid to ask.

The show isn't that bad, the ending may be quite disappointing to some, but doesn't make the anime bad overall. People just love ranting about everything.
Aug 24, 2017 3:52 PM
Jul 2018
male mc is surrounded by girls. there are many action and ecchi scenes and the plot is intentionally stupid. most often i refer to this as a battle harem.
i don't know what made people think that big order is so bad. if you think about any battle harem anime, they are all not very bright.
Aug 24, 2017 3:55 PM

Sep 2009
That's not how "so bad it's good" works.
Aug 24, 2017 4:00 PM

Mar 2016
I've only seen 1 ep of gunslinger stratos but I already love it for how horribly awkward and pretentious it is. And even though it sucks major ass it's still a hundred times better than anything else Ive seen by A-1 pictures
Sep 4, 2017 12:11 PM
Apr 2012
MortalMelancholy said:

I do regret using that phrase, I'd say "so bad it's entertaining" is what I meant. These shows are filled with flaws yet I find myself enjoying them along with their flaws because of the ridiculousness of it all.

Basically, it's the type of show that actually becomes good if you switch off all your expectations. That's the type of genre I'm looking for. Obviously you can't just turn off your expectations and enjoy just about *any* show, but these types of animes (Taboo Tattoo, Big Order) are best enjoyed that way - in my opinion.
Sep 4, 2017 5:33 PM

Sep 2009
JayDrink said:
MortalMelancholy said:

I do regret using that phrase, I'd say "so bad it's entertaining" is what I meant. These shows are filled with flaws yet I find myself enjoying them along with their flaws because of the ridiculousness of it all.

Basically, it's the type of show that actually becomes good if you switch off all your expectations. That's the type of genre I'm looking for. Obviously you can't just turn off your expectations and enjoy just about *any* show, but these types of animes (Taboo Tattoo, Big Order) are best enjoyed that way - in my opinion.

Yeah, to me it sounds like face-value entertainment; just always enough going on, whether it's actually good or not.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Big Order (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2016

213 by Thunderball2004 »»
Nov 23, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Big Order (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 20, 2016

120 by Psi18c »»
Nov 14, 2022 8:35 AM

» anyone know when the uncensored episodes are going to be released?

theweaboopenguin - Jul 17, 2016

5 by Psi18c »»
Nov 13, 2022 11:33 AM

Poll: » Big Order (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2016

259 by grazioso »»
Oct 3, 2022 10:51 PM

Poll: » Big Order (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2016

97 by Vindicater »»
May 13, 2022 12:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.