Forum Settings
Forums

What is an anime that is lesser known that you think every anime fan should watch?

New
Apr 6, 2017 12:35 PM

Jun 2016
Question is pretty self explanatory, but I'm basically looking for shows that you don't really hear about all too often but you think every anime fan should watch, or at least try to watch once.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 6, 2017 12:41 PM
Sep 2016
kaiba is pretty good different and underrated

also you said anime but I recommend you to read blame
code geass is overrated
monogatari series is basically the messiah
steins;gate is ok
stop hating death note
and I don't know what the hell Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu even is
Apr 6, 2017 12:43 PM

Mar 2015
Depend of what kind of fan that person is.....
This salad is salty favored
Apr 6, 2017 12:44 PM

May 2015
Esper said:
The type of person that is a fan of anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2017 12:46 PM

Feb 2013
there is no anime "every fan should watch" imo...

maybe just the 2 Genma Taisen for the perspective it gives
Apr 6, 2017 12:48 PM

Jan 2013
Definitely Major, I cant believe its so unpopular.
Apr 6, 2017 12:51 PM

Feb 2010
romagia said:

That's what I came to say. Minus the Genma Taisen part.

But there are definitely a lot of underrated, obscure shows that at least some people should, but almost nobody does. Hyouge Mono, Hanada Shounen-Shi, Legendary Gamble Tetsuya, Salaryman Kintarou, Tentai Senshi Sunred, Yomigaeru Sora, Genshi Shounen Ryu, Takarajima, Gallery Fake, Master Keaton, Ie Naki Ko, Sirius no Densetsu, Yousei Florence etc...

Just to name a few off the top of my head. Those all definitely deserve more than a few hundred viewers.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 6, 2017 12:52 PM

Aug 2016
If we're talking about those with less than 100k members watching it here in MAL and nonsequel entries

Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan (TV)
Senyuu

Episodes are short, so if you don't like them, you can always drop them without having to invest as much time
MechKingKillbotApr 6, 2017 1:01 PM
Apr 6, 2017 12:52 PM

Mar 2015
zal said:
Esper said:
The type of person that is a fan of anime

To make it clear, read the quote below
romagia said:

This salad is salty favored
Apr 6, 2017 1:33 PM

Oct 2014
romagia said:
Well said. People should just watch what they want. Each genre should have a list of 10 anime that all fans of the genre should try at least one of, but there aren't any anime that objectively every anime should watch since everyone has different tastes.
Apr 6, 2017 1:35 PM
May 2015
Saiki Kusuo, definitelly. Like if you haven't seen it get on that shit.
Apr 6, 2017 1:39 PM
Nov 2014
Gungrave. It has to be one of the best anime that I have ever watched.
Apr 6, 2017 1:42 PM
Jul 2018
No such thing a must watch exists no matter what anyone is telling you.

But since I am here I may as well show off my hipsterism and give you a few less popular shows I liked to choose from:

From my top anime:
So ra no wo to
Aria the Animation
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita

Not in my top (anymore at least since I removed most of my favs recently and kept only the toppest of the tops):
Tenshi no Tamago
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei

Also a while ago I found (a friend found it and I sniped it from his list actually) this series of shorts that is very interesting to watch (and all together takes like no more than 20 minutes):
Aru Tabibito no Nikki

Mod Edit: Removed unnecessary slur.
ShockedApr 11, 2017 12:54 PM
Apr 6, 2017 1:47 PM

Apr 2016
There are a lot -
FLCL
Watamote
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
Nichijou
Azumanga Daioh
Tonari no Seki-kun
Girls und Panzer
Carnival Phantasm (only if you've watched any Type Moon franchises such as fate and Tsukihime)
Eve no Jikan
Flip Flappers
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita

There are a lot more that I know. Maybe you should check out my list for some more.
Apr 6, 2017 2:09 PM

Apr 2016
zombie_pegasus said:
romagia said:
Well said. People should just watch what they want. Each genre should have a list of 10 anime that all fans of the genre should try at least one of, but there aren't any anime that objectively every anime should watch since everyone has different tastes.

But isn't that like saying that you should never watch Star Wars no matter how good it is or how many times someone tells you to watch it?
You can at least give it a watch, just once. If you don't like that anime/movie, you can just drop it or stop watching it. Simple as that.
Apr 6, 2017 2:11 PM

Mar 2016
Not exactly lesser known, but I feel too many people pass up on the original FMA's and Hunter X Hunter's strengths (Although by the time HxH 2011 is all caught up I feel it's about equal, and FMAB did have a larger scale and more conclusive plot)

Apr 6, 2017 2:12 PM

Apr 2016
Turtles_Leader said:
"What is an anime that is lesser known [...]"
Omkar_Nagwade said:
There are a lot -
FLCL

Seriously? I only quoted the first one, but all of the things you listed are pretty well known.

@Turtles_Leader Find me 20 of your friends who have watched Tonari no Seki-kun, Eve no Jikan, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, and Azumanga Daioh.

I'll wait.
Apr 6, 2017 2:16 PM

Apr 2016
@Turtles_Leader *looks at your list (¬_¬) *

You haven't even watched any of the anime I've mentioned. What the hell?

Edit - except FLCL. Still what the hell? How can you say that when you haven't even watched those anime I mentioned? Go and watch those anime.
Apr 6, 2017 2:18 PM

Feb 2013
We're on MyAnimeList. Nothing is obscure.
Apr 6, 2017 2:21 PM

Apr 2016
Turtles_Leader said:
I don't have that many friend that watch anime. But still, all of them are often adviced, and FLCL is considered as cult (and personnaly I find Tonari no seki kun particullary boring, but that has nothing to do with the main topic). They may be less seen, but they're clearly not less know. I mean Even if I never saw it, I've known Eve no Jinkan for years and Azumanga Daioh had a big popularity a few years ago (to be fair, Junrui ... is the only one I don't know).

You've never watched them, you've only heard of them. End of discussion. Go and watch them first.
Apr 6, 2017 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
Omkar_Nagwade said:
You've never watched them, you've only heard of them. End of discussion. Go and watch them first.
Hold on a minute I have got to step in here, just because he has not seen them doesn't mean a thing, a lot of the series you have mentioned are quite known and FLCL as mentioned has a cult following and is the pollar opposite of unpopular.
Apr 6, 2017 2:32 PM

Apr 2016
Darek said:
Omkar_Nagwade said:
Hold on a minute I have got to step in here, just because he has not seen them doesn't mean a thing, a lot of the series you have mentioned are quite known and FLCL as mentioned has a cult following and is the pollar opposite of unpopular.

I really don't think a lot of people have watched Jinrui, Seki-kun, Eve no Jikan or even FLCL. My friends irl haven't even heard of any of those(until I showed them).

PS- didn't realise I put DK Nichijou and Nichijou there, my bad.
Apr 6, 2017 2:32 PM

Mar 2017
Everybody should watch Sekkou Boys.

No exceptions.

It's a glorious anime that takes a revolutionary way to warn about the inherent dangers of making anime or any other form of art while stoned.

And I'd say add in Souryo to Majiwaru Shikiyoku no Yoru ni, because apparently you can never be too drunk while deciding to make an anime.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Apr 6, 2017 2:33 PM

Apr 2011
Omkar_Nagwade said:
Turtles_Leader said:
I don't have that many friend that watch anime. But still, all of them are often adviced, and FLCL is considered as cult (and personnaly I find Tonari no seki kun particullary boring, but that has nothing to do with the main topic). They may be less seen, but they're clearly not less know. I mean Even if I never saw it, I've known Eve no Jinkan for years and Azumanga Daioh had a big popularity a few years ago (to be fair, Junrui ... is the only one I don't know).

...but doesn't the topic title say lesser known series? Not lesser watched series?
Apr 6, 2017 2:38 PM

Jun 2015
Rainbow Nisha and saiki kusou
Really good anime imo
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Apr 6, 2017 2:43 PM

Oct 2014
Omkar_Nagwade said:
zombie_pegasus said:

But isn't that like saying that you should never watch Star Wars no matter how good it is or how many times someone tells you to watch it?
You can at least give it a watch, just once. If you don't like that anime/movie, you can just drop it or stop watching it. Simple as that.
There are 11,000 anime in MAL's database. Even if you just watched 24 minutes of each one (averaged out since not all anime are over 24 minutes long) you would end up watching 183 days of anime before you even continued watching a single one of them. This would make no sense. Star Wars should be watched by some people since there are indeed a lot of people it does appeal to, but if you only like romance films aimed at teenage girls and can't stand anything action based then it might not be the best choice. If you're only a fan of a less common genre like isekai, yuri, or military moe then you might consider every anime in your genre of choice to be a must watch.
Apr 6, 2017 2:46 PM

Apr 2016
zombie_pegasus said:
Omkar_Nagwade said:

There are 11,000 anime in MAL's database. Even if you just watched 24 minutes of each one (averaged out since not all anime are over 24 minutes long) you would end up watching 183 days of anime before you even continued watching a single one of them. This would make no sense. Star Wars should be watched by some people since there are indeed a lot of people it does appeal to, but if you only like romance films aimed at teenage girls and can't stand anything action based then it might not be the best choice. If you're only a fan of a less common genre like isekai, yuri, or military moe then you might consider every anime in your genre of choice to be a must watch.

Then how about anime that everyone should watch, regardless of whether they watch anime or not? There should be a few right?
Apr 6, 2017 3:12 PM

Jan 2016
Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna
Onihei
Otona Joshi no Anime Time
Dirty Pair
RE: Cutey Honey
Ashita no Joe
Kemono no Souja Erin
Gundam 0080
Future Boy Conan
Macross DYRL

These are the ones i can think right now that don't have too many members.
Apr 6, 2017 3:27 PM

Dec 2016
Memories

Paprika

Tekkonkinkreet

Those are for me the best anime underrated anime everyone should watch
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Apr 6, 2017 3:29 PM

Mar 2016
Mudai
Do you love artsy animation?
Do you love visual metaphors?
Do you love feels?
Do you love listening music?
Are you so busy irl and do not have much time for anime?
Then try Mudai, you have nothing to lose. . .

Really, compare to similar work such as Shelter, it's so underwatched.
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Apr 6, 2017 3:33 PM

Oct 2014
Omkar_Nagwade said:
zombie_pegasus said:

Then how about anime that everyone should watch, regardless of whether they watch anime or not? There should be a few right?
By that logic there must also be French documentaries, K-dramas, and British mini-series that everyone should watch regardless of them being a fan of that type of entertainment or not, but we all know that not everyone will.

I guess we have to define what "must" means in the first place. In Western society you are expected to have a car and some jobs require it, but not everyone owns one and they are at a disadvantage since they need to rely on other people, public transit, and walking/biking. Are there any anime that you are left at a disadvantage like this having not watched them even if you don't belong to a fanbase where people are frequently talking about those titles?
Apr 6, 2017 3:41 PM
Mar 2017
The best of all time is gintama. After that, Again
Apr 6, 2017 5:36 PM

Feb 2010
Omkar_Nagwade said:
Darek said:

I really don't think a lot of people have watched Jinrui, Seki-kun, Eve no Jikan or even FLCL. My friends irl haven't even heard of any of those(until I showed them).

PS- didn't realise I put DK Nichijou and Nichijou there, my bad.

You can look up their popularity on MAL. FLCL is almost in the top 100 most popular shows out of 12k total entries. Jinrui is #600 out of 12k. Idk, to me that makes them relatively well known compared to almost every single other anime, or at least the vast majority. Idk about your irl friends, but if they're the kind of people who only know the 10-20 most mainstream shows they're probably not a good measure of what's more or less well known.

Personally I think under 2k viewers or maybe under 5k is where 'lesser known' titles start. Most of the ones you listed have 40k+ viewers which makes them about averagely well known, all in the top 5-7% of popularity in the DB. People new to anime or very casual won't know them, but anybody spending a bit of time in the community will hear of them.

At the end of the day it depends on what you define as 'lesser known'. I just don't find it very useful when you make it so the term applies to 95% of all anime so lower viewer numbers as a criteria make sense to me instead of including everything of average popularity.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 6, 2017 5:45 PM

Jun 2016
Future boy Conan
Romeo blue sky
Akachan to boku
treasure island
Apr 6, 2017 8:14 PM

Jun 2015
fuyuki said:
Definitely Major, I cant believe its so unpopular.

Major is definitely under-watched.
Also So Ra No To Wa.
:)
Apr 6, 2017 8:30 PM

May 2016
I would highly recommend boku no pico

Apr 6, 2017 9:04 PM

Oct 2015
incoming
lotgh comment passing by ^-^
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Apr 6, 2017 10:24 PM

Apr 2016
zombie_pegasus said:
Omkar_Nagwade said:

By that logic there must also be French documentaries, K-dramas, and British mini-series that everyone should watch regardless of them being a fan of that type of entertainment or not, but we all know that not everyone will.

I guess we have to define what "must" means in the first place. In Western society you are expected to have a car and some jobs require it, but not everyone owns one and they are at a disadvantage since they need to rely on other people, public transit, and walking/biking. Are there any anime that you are left at a disadvantage like this having not watched them even if you don't belong to a fanbase where people are frequently talking about those titles?

A friend of mine found these two videos. And they suggest that everyone/every anime fan should watch them.

Everyone should watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsvlgALMR4w

Every anime fan should watch (a very passive-aggressive video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzo8Vug7TZk

Edit- After watching the first one, I kind of see your point. The video is kind of shit. I don't think everyone is gonna enjoy those.
Manyaa_-Apr 6, 2017 10:32 PM
Apr 6, 2017 10:45 PM

Oct 2014
@Omkar_Nagwade If you belong to a moe club you're going to want to watch K-On! and One Punch Man would be a pretty important anime to see if you want to talk to other fans of action anime, but general anime "must watches" simply don't work since there are too many anime out there and for general anime you have plenty to watch and talk about even if you haven't seen any arbitrary list of ten "really good anime".
Apr 6, 2017 10:58 PM

Jul 2013
I would say Haibane Renmei, but I guess that doesn't really work. Welp, I am doing it anyway.

Apr 6, 2017 11:21 PM
Jul 2013
I My Me! Strawberry Eggs. You don't see this anywhere.
Apr 7, 2017 1:21 AM

Mar 2015
furiko, it's just 3 minutes, 3 FUCKING MINUTES!
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 7, 2017 1:44 AM
Nov 2016
1) Kaiba
2) Boogiepop Phantom
3) Kino no Tabi
4) Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku
5) Dennou Coil
6) Saraiya Goyou
Apr 7, 2017 2:06 AM
Nov 2016
Calal-Chan said:
I would say Haibane Renmei, but I guess that doesn't really work. Welp, I am doing it anyway.

I quite agree with you. But there are anime which are more unknown than it. Haibane Renmei is still underwatched, though.
Apr 7, 2017 2:18 AM
Mar 2017
Robot carnival
The Twelve kingdoms
Kaiba
Mizu no kutoba
The house of small cubes
Denno coil

(not unpopular but deserves more attention)
Kino no tabi
Cross game

DaggerApr 7, 2017 2:23 AM
Apr 7, 2017 2:54 AM

Feb 2017
I might be fanboying out here, but I believe everyone should watch 'Shiki' its a great anime overall, you wont waste your time watching it.
A friend would not just follow another's dream... a friend would find his own reason to live. -Griffith

People who perish in other’s battles are worms… If one can’t live their life the way they want, they might as well die. If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you... you won't be able to walk.- Guts

Providence may guide a man to meet one specific person, even if such guidance eventually leads him to darkness. Man simply cannot forsake the beauty of his own chosen path. -Guts

Apr 7, 2017 2:58 AM

Aug 2016
Boku no pic.........KLES! Boku no pickles!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 7, 2017 3:34 AM

Jan 2011
Tesagure! Bukatsumono definitely needs more love.
Apr 7, 2017 3:36 AM

Feb 2016
Definitely Aoi Bungaku series is one of them.
Apr 7, 2017 3:38 AM

Nov 2014
Tenkuu Danzai Skelter+Heaven so they will understand what "bad" anime actually means.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

35 by DesuMaiden »»
5 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 5 hours ago

32 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 8 hours ago

14 by DesuMaiden »»
6 minutes ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 6 hours ago

14 by DesuMaiden »»
9 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

17 by DesuMaiden »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.