Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen' Receives OVA

New
Mar 31, 2017 1:55 AM

Nov 2007
The May 2017 issue of Kodansha's Nakayoshi magazine, which will go on sale on April 3, has announced that limited edition of third volume of Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen will bundle an OVA. Titled Sakura to Futatsu no Kuma (Sakura and the Two Teddy Bears), it will feature an original story and will release on September 13, 2017.

Also, the staff members for the OVA will be the same as TV anime, and Kunihiko Hamada (Chihayafuru) has added to the staff list, as he will do character design for the OVA. Nanase Ohkawa will write the script.

The Cardcaptor Sakura manga was adapted into a 70-episode TV anime by Madhouse, which aired between April 1998 and March 2000. The first movie premiered in August 1999 and a second one titled Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 2: The Sealed Card followed in July 2000, serving as a continuation of the TV anime. NIS America licensed the TV anime for North American distribution and re-released the series in BD/DVD in August 2014. Tokyopop initially published the manga in English in North America from March 2001 to August 2003 before Dark Horse Comics re-licensed the series and published the volumes in 3-in-1 omnibus format between October 2010 and September 2012.

PV

Source: Chibi Yuuto's CHRoNiCLEs

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen - Prologue Sakura to Futatsu no Kuma on MAL
tsubasaloverApr 1, 2017 9:21 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 31, 2017 2:02 AM

Dec 2015
Good for the fans ^^
Mar 31, 2017 2:03 AM

Mar 2014
OVA before the TV series? Eh, not really sure about that one. Wonder what it'll be about since I doubt they'll start it like it was the first episode of the sequel TV series but I also doubt they'll just put some random content from the middle of the manga.
Maybe they could just use episode 1 of the TV series for this as a preview of sorts.

And Kunihiko Hamada doing the character designs... Just tell me if I should start despairing or not already.
Mar 31, 2017 2:53 AM

Nov 2011
Considering we still don't know if the new series will more directly adapt the sequel manga or if it will loosely adapt it and continue with the previous anime's continuity, this could be literally anything.

It is my understanding that Sakura gives her teddy bear to Shaoran in the manga, which the anime never covered, so considering the title this could be filling in that gap should the new adaptation continue from the previous anime's continuity.

Otherwise... I really have no idea. It's odd to have an OVA before the TV series unless it's a preview or an in-between story.
Mar 31, 2017 8:19 AM
Jun 2011
TripleSRank said:
Considering we still don't know if the new series will more directly adapt the sequel manga or if it will loosely adapt it and continue with the previous anime's continuity, this could be literally anything.

It is my understanding that Sakura gives her teddy bear to Shaoran in the manga, which the anime never covered, so considering the title this could be filling in that gap should the new adaptation continue from the previous anime's continuity.

Otherwise... I really have no idea. It's odd to have an OVA before the TV series unless it's a preview or an in-between story.
since this ova is original story i dont think it connect to the tv series
Mar 31, 2017 9:37 AM

Sep 2015
@tsubasalover u have a slight spelling error on the second paragraph :P
tsubasalover said:
Also, the staff members for the OVA will be the same as TV anime, and Kunihiko Hamada (Chiharafuru) has added to the staff list, as he will do character design for the OVA. Nanase Ohkawa will write the script.

with "Chiharafuru" which should read Chihayafuru instead I assume(?)

OT: great news, more Sakura is always welcomed.
Mar 31, 2017 9:43 AM

Nov 2007
Salokannel2 said:
@tsubasalover u have a slight spelling error on the second paragraph :P
with "Chiharafuru" which should read Chihayafuru instead I assume(?)
Thank you. I made sure to double check, but I still got it wrong.
Mar 31, 2017 10:15 AM

Apr 2013
Oh thank God the art-style is still cute. Guess it transitions well to digital after all.

I'll consider this a test-run to see if I want to watch the Clear-hen TV series, since its one of my worries/uncertainties.
Mar 31, 2017 10:26 AM

Jul 2007
Still no info what the adaptation will cover considering there's literally no way to "connect" a sequel to CCS manga to the previous CCS anime. Third awful CLAMP adaptation would be too much. Its enough that CCS anime already was nothing like manga and then TRC adaptation was turned into saccharine clone of CCS...

OVA will most likely have no ties to series since its mainly for manga readers.
AhenshihaelMar 31, 2017 10:39 AM
Mar 31, 2017 1:49 PM
Jun 2011
Fai said:
Still no info what the adaptation will cover considering there's literally no way to "connect" a sequel to CCS manga to the previous CCS anime. Third awful CLAMP adaptation would be too much. Its enough that CCS anime already was nothing like manga and then TRC adaptation was turned into saccharine clone of CCS...

OVA will most likely have no ties to series since its mainly for manga readers.
the ova will be original consept so it will not conenct to manga or tv series
Mar 31, 2017 3:01 PM
Jul 2018
An OVA first before the anime itself? Interesting. We can see how will the animation fare after all these yrs.

As long as there's more Sakura is always fine by me.
Mar 31, 2017 3:46 PM
Jul 2018
OK. I must watch this masterpiece somehow before it comes! I have a good feeling of this series.

I might go for manga for main story and then watch movie and then will wait for the second season happily.
Mar 31, 2017 7:30 PM

Dec 2012
Can anyone tell me how the manga ended in spoilers?

I've watched the second movie, and I thought it was a pretty good ending to the series, and I assumed thats how the manga ended too, but I guess it didn't(?)
Mar 31, 2017 10:58 PM

Jul 2007
AdolTheRed said:

I've watched the second movie, and I thought it was a pretty good ending to the series, and I assumed thats how the manga ended too, but I guess it didn't(?)

AhenshihaelMar 31, 2017 11:17 PM
Apr 1, 2017 4:29 AM

Nov 2007
PV that Released at Sakura Festival 2017 today. It will be "Prologue" of the TV anime.
tsubasaloverApr 1, 2017 6:21 AM
Apr 1, 2017 6:53 AM
Jun 2011
Fai said:
AdolTheRed said:

well from the preview above we can stop worry about the animation style in this show
Apr 1, 2017 10:11 AM

Jul 2007
elior1 said:
Fai said:

well from the preview above we can stop worry about the animation style in this show

Well Clear Card overall is a major downgrade in terms of designs even in manga when compared to TRC. I guess they are banking on nostalgia or something with art but I'd prefer if it retained more "refined" look TRC had. Animation quality seems okay tho.

Still not sure how they plan on handling the adaptation. There are like 10 chapters out right now which I guess could be enough for 1 cour season by the time the anime comes. Do we know when the actual show is airing yet?
Apr 1, 2017 10:19 AM
Jun 2011
Fai said:
elior1 said:

Well Clear Card overall is a major downgrade in terms of designs even in when compared to TRC. I guess they are banking on nostalgia or something with art but I'd prefer if it retained more "refined" look TRC had. Animation quality seems okay tho.

Still not sure how they plan on handling the adaptation. There are like 10 chapters out right now which I guess could be enough for 1 cour season by the time the comes. Do we know when the actual show is airing yet?
yes the tv series will air in january 2018
Apr 1, 2017 3:05 PM

Dec 2012
Fai said:
AdolTheRed said:

Thanks for the reply. Definitely did not expect so many major changes.

I don't recall anything else beside those events in the movie, and I'm guessing the entire movie was anime original. So then, how did things end with Sakura and syaoran in the manga?
Apr 1, 2017 3:50 PM
Jun 2011
AdolTheRed said:
Fai said:

Thanks for the reply. Definitely did not expect so many major changes.

I don't recall anything else beside those events in the movie, and I'm guessing the entire movie was anime original. So then, how did things end with Sakura and syaoran in the manga?
it seems from the end of the prologue ova preview i guess they will change a bit about what happend in the movie
Apr 1, 2017 10:35 PM
Mar 2016
While the character designs are cute, I was expecting for them to bring back Kumiko Takahashi's art back for the OVA. From what has been released from the Clear Card Arc manga, I'm wondering more on how the chapters will be adapted since its very slow paced in terms of plot progression so far.
Apr 2, 2017 2:15 AM

Jul 2007
AdolTheRed said:

Its unknown how they are planning and if they are planning to connect it to previous anime adaptation. Even if they manage to somehow retcon away the ending with this OVA, it still technically would not fix the other issues.
AhenshihaelApr 2, 2017 2:32 AM
Apr 2, 2017 2:17 AM
Jun 2011
WalkingGirlKoi said:
While the character designs are cute, I was expecting for them to bring back Kumiko Takahashi's art back for the OVA. From what has been released from the Clear Card Arc manga, I'm wondering more on how the chapters will be adapted since its very slow paced in terms of plot progression so far.
if my count is right in january 2018 we will have 19 chapters released so far which they can adapt
Apr 2, 2017 2:20 AM
Jun 2011
Fai said:
AdolTheRed said:

Its unknown how they are planning and if they are planning to connect it to previous anime adaptation. Even if they manage to somehow retcon away the ending with this OVA, it still technically would not fix the other issues.
i think you right about them recton away the ending since as you can see from the preview it hightly possible they going to adapt the manga ending. and why exactly it wont fix the issues even if they will use the manga ending as prologue to clear hen? is it becouse by january 2018 we will only have 19 chapters as metirial for the anime?
elior1Apr 2, 2017 2:29 AM
Apr 2, 2017 2:37 AM

Jul 2007
I guess the best way would be to just adapt the epilogue of the manga(so even anime only viewers have idea on where and how it going) and then continue Clear Card-Hen as manga adaptation while ignoring the rest of inconsistencies.

Also I would not be surprised if Clear Card Hen or at least it's first arc ends with 19-20 chapters or so considering

20 chapters is easily enough for something like 12-13 episodes total.
AhenshihaelApr 2, 2017 2:41 AM

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

96 by rikazkhan »»
1 hour ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
8 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

21 by VanishingKira »»
Yesterday, 2:11 PM

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Apr 22, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 22, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.