Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Saga of Tanya the Evil (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 24, 2017 6:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Loved the aerial warfare this action.
Tanya showed some of her personal fighting skills against the enemy and it was exciting.

Republican army suffered from losses although Tanya herself also had trouble in fighting. Tanya did a good job as a leader of her battalion imo.
Still, I think Tanya didn't exactly accomplish everything she had hoped for.
Mar 24, 2017 7:20 AM
Jan 2016
Poor Tanya, surviving a hairy dogfight, having Sue return that favor from their first meeting, seeing everything fall into place... and then apart.

To see her finally crack and begin to lose faith in the rules and organizations that she relied on in the second-to-last episode is really interesting. What's going to happen in the finale? How is she going to react? Is it going to be a massive cliffhanger in regards to her character development? Is this how they intend to hook people for the manga/novel sales?
Mar 24, 2017 10:37 AM
Oct 2012
Ah, that hospital recovery scene lol fan-service people.
Free French Forces, nice reference.

And Tanya has never been a slave to orders, she believes in winning at all costs, which NORMALLY means following the rules. But in a world where the rules are NOT efficient of course she would lose it, but right now the cost vs benefit line hasn't been broken - while she knows what she is doing would have been right, she will not risk going up against the system - yet. She will still obey the rules until it becomes more efficient for her not to.

At least that is my take on it. We'll see.

Edit: Should add before someone complains. None of Tanya's soldiers died, even Death Flag. This was NOT a plot hole or OP, it is because this was an Original to the Anime Scenario (from what I heard) and as such the animation couldn't kill anyone off yet because Tanya losing her first soldier will undoubtedly be a key moment in the series later.

That said, this OAS is important. It helped to set Tanya up (as indicated by her smirk in Church) for her fall at the end of the episode. She really thought she had beat Being X this time. Not sure if this type of scene was in the novels, but visually speaking it worked very well the way the animators created it.
Takuan_SohoMar 24, 2017 11:09 AM
Mar 24, 2017 11:12 AM

Aug 2015
Holy shit that fight looked awesome. I'll allow the fact that the episode got delayed due to production because goddamn that looked amazing.
Mar 24, 2017 11:19 AM
Jul 2016
The after half, why did she lose her shit again? Someone explain?
Mar 24, 2017 11:27 AM
Mar 2017
Fruituser said:
The after half, why did she lose her shit again? Someone explain?

If you are referring to why she wanted to attack so badly is because the situation was obvious to someone who knows WW2 history - which she presumably does. The French fleet was going to flee to the not-UK and serve to legitimize the not-UK to entering the war.

It's somewhat more complicated than this but without that segment of the military fleeing the not-UK will have huge trouble justifying the entrance into the war to their people much less anyone else.
Mar 24, 2017 11:30 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Okay, that was for sure the best animated action sequence of this year (not that there is any competition, but jesus). They really ramped up the coloring, too, really pretty colors. I'm really glad that most of her battalion including Grantz (fuck yes) survived.

Tanya is definitely growing more attached to the battalion and the situation around her (i think, her seeing the kids fight was a pretty good hint of that). Including that and her will to finally live care-free, she obviously snapped at the end.
Mar 24, 2017 11:35 AM

Dec 2014
Intense episode.

The aerial combat was pure awesome, I love them explosions. xD

The Republican army has finally called for an armistice and the Empire seems to have accepted, Poor Tanya, all she wants is to end this war in the hopes that Being X will never be able to trouble her again. Sadly it doesn't seem to be working out. If the counter attacking fleet succeeds in escaping they will probably come back stronger by forming an alliance with the United Allied Kingdom.

It'd be epic if Tanya decides to go Rogue to destroy the remnants of the Republican army but I doubt that'll happen. Anyway, can't wait for the next episode.
Mar 24, 2017 11:44 AM

Apr 2013
I'll have to admit that to see that Republical soldier get defeated so easily again was rather unsatisfying. Especially so if you're unable to really root for Tanya.
Mar 24, 2017 11:48 AM
Feb 2017
YumeNoMonogatari said:
I'll have to admit that to see that Republical soldier get defeated so easily again was rather unsatisfying. Especially so if you're unable to really root for Tanya.
That soldier was not even suppose to be in this series for the second time as a focus. His scene today was purely an Anime Original Route given to spice up the ending of the season. So his original role wasn't really suppose to be Tanya rival, but only to give her the Chekhov's Gun for her downfall later.
pall_haigoliMar 24, 2017 11:51 AM
Mar 24, 2017 11:48 AM

Jun 2015
First half of the episode was intense. The aerial combat was awesome. Most of her battalion survived, including Grantz. The Empire accepted the armistice, but Tanya realized that's not a good idea. She's so upset the war isn't ending.
Mar 24, 2017 11:49 AM

Jan 2015
Tanya-chan is totally pissed. Which means it's time to see her doing another of the cool "action".
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Mar 24, 2017 12:13 PM
Aug 2015
Tanya is so cute when she is crying.
Mar 24, 2017 12:14 PM

Dec 2015
That was a tough fight, for a second I thought Tanya was a goner, damn that Being X!

Those dumb fools will come to regret not listening to Tanya.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Mar 24, 2017 1:11 PM

Nov 2008
pall_haigoli said:
YumeNoMonogatari said:
That soldier was not even suppose to be in this series for the second time as a focus. His scene today was purely an Anime Original Route given to spice up the ending of the season. So his original role wasn't really suppose to be Tanya rival, but only to give her the Chekhov's Gun for her downfall later.

Down fall is a bit of a strong way to the pharse that since unless I was totally trolled but the web novel stuff and that is possible)
Mar 24, 2017 1:29 PM

Feb 2017
No, why?! the victory was so close and the conflict will be finally over but now there is a big menace glipsening on the horizon. Poor Tanya, I can feel her anger and frustration, I just hope this history ends not so bad as I expect.

All Hail Tanya!
Mar 24, 2017 1:29 PM
Jul 2018
Haha, what a letdown for Imperials! I wanna see this anime end with a mega massssive thrill!

Oh also Tanya's angry looks very intense, and this time it was way too dramatic! Reminds me of Lelouch for some reason...
removed-userMar 24, 2017 1:43 PM
Mar 24, 2017 1:38 PM

Jul 2014
As expected, things were never going to be as simple as sweeping victory, even once Tanya beat the other guy Being X had blessed. Granted, they don't have the benefit of knowledge that Tanya has of World War 2 to inform them, but it surprises me that the General wasn't more wary about the victory, as he has always seemed smart enough to notice things like that. Still, with them setting up something as major as that with one episode left, I'm really hoping we get a second season, as ending with that looming on the horizon would be infuriating.
Mar 24, 2017 1:40 PM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
A second season is possible. The prelude of the hell because the war could be against all the allies now

Mar 24, 2017 1:45 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Those were some brilliant and intense action scenes. Riveting. For a while I thought she'd be badly injured.

I'm surprised with all she's done they're not listening more to her.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 24, 2017 1:50 PM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
I think they are figthing the first WW. They changed the history when they used the V1 in a mission against the Republic. Allowing them to retire is what happened in the WW2 when Rommel passed the Maginot line so they could have only rushed the start of WW2 in that world. With only one more episode left is possible that continue in other season.

Mar 24, 2017 1:52 PM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
Oh, man - this episode was awesome - the aerial combat scenes were really good, and the final battle between the two of them was really good, gives a little bit more action as we wait for Sue to come along in the 2nd season (assuming the rumor is correct) - gonna assume she'll have some sort of mention in the final episode.

And oh man, how angry Tanya got. Is Strategic HQ going to realize how screwed they are for not listening to her, or better yet, will Tanya start to go rogue a little - would love to see the latter. Haven't read that far into the LN or manga adaption to know, and I'll probably hold off doing so for now.
Mar 24, 2017 1:53 PM
Jun 2013
Seeing this episode had reminded me how common, even in real life, it is when “idiotic incompetent b@stards” take command and ignore the advice of their more competent and broadminded subordinates. Needless to say, if this is going accordingly to our real world history, the Empire will lose due to their “lazy refusal to end a war that could have been ended.”

Needless to say, if I was Tanya then I would resign, or at least find a way to be honorably discharged , and leave the country before it is too late. I didn’t get why Tanya first went to people who will listen to her, like Hans von Zettour, rather than the idiot who didn’t listen to her.
Mar 24, 2017 1:58 PM

Sep 2014
awesome action!

Tanya getting sort of a breakdown was surprising. Understandable, she wants a safe life. But im pretty sure even if the empire "won the war" another war would be very possible. So since shes young enough, she would have to fight again anyway (atleast in my world)

I thought she had a better relation with strategical HQ - I would not expect them to be so careless. After all totally-not-satou made pretty smart moves so far.

Pls give me more seasons :D
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 24, 2017 2:10 PM

Oct 2007
Just according to deus vult. Tanya is desperate to end the war because Being X will continue to send clowns like Sue after her. Would Being X go on arranging to extend the war, even to tens of millions of collateral damages just to screw around with Degurechaff? Yeah, I think he would. He's kind of Apollo from ST:TOS if anyone remembers that far back.
RalonzoMar 24, 2017 2:14 PM
Mar 24, 2017 2:47 PM

Oct 2015
Being X's whole goal is make her believe and acknowledge his existence as "god". If the war ends with an empire in a favorable position of having the Republican Army entirely annihilated, then there position on the continent is guaranteed as there wouldn't be any force remaining that truly wants to "liberate" the Republican lands, any new force that comes in would just be a new conqueror.

Being X has probably manipulated things to ensure the Republican Army survived, just so those lands well stay in conflict. It'll turn out like in WW2 when the French revolutionary forces were constantly undermining the Germans by bombing railways and causing other such damage. Ensuring their survival also allows the Allied Kingdom an opportunity to take advantage of to get involved in the war in full later as now, they can proclaim themselves are fighting to return Republican lands to her rightful people.

Isn't Being X a great "god"? Purposely manipulating events to cause the deaths of tens to hundreds of thousands or even millions of people. All in the good name of punishing the non-believer..... I'm rooting for you all the way Tanya! Defeat Being X!
Mar 24, 2017 3:08 PM

Mar 2012
Great episode, poor Tanya though so close to having peace, now she knows it looks like no matter what she does notGermany is going to ultimately lose.
Mar 24, 2017 3:44 PM

May 2015
I think that they put half od their budget on this episode. ;D

Great battle. Poor Tanyna. Bitter victory.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 24, 2017 3:58 PM

Jul 2013
That battle at the beginning was amazing. I think most of the fights of this series were okay at best, but this one sure looked incredible.

Poor Tanya, though, just when it looks things were going to end well for her, life gives her a big slap in the face. Being X sure is a petty bastard.
Mar 24, 2017 4:10 PM
Oct 2013
This is what happens when you know what will happen but no one believes you. So this is the reason why they said the Empire is the "loser" and would be defamed in the future.
Mar 24, 2017 4:27 PM
Mar 2017
Yep it was very enjoyable especially that ending
Mar 24, 2017 5:37 PM

Jun 2014
I have a feeling this episode will be wonderful on blu ray :D (fingers crossed for a EU release)

My favourite part of the episode is when Sioux is sprayed with bullets. Made me laugh out loud. Also best (and only) girl Visha saves the day.

My WWII knowledge is sketchy but I'm surprised to have recognised the reference to the Dunkirk evacuation. Tanya seems melodramatic in this situation because the gravity of the strategic blunder isn't very well explained.

During the conquest of France, Hitler gave the order to delay the pursuit of the allied forces - I think for fear of the panzer forces being too vulnerably deep in enemy territory. While the Germans farted about for 2 or 3 days, the majority of soldiers escaped via the British navy, allowing them live to fight another day. Had they been thoroughly crushed this would have prevented a future counterattack.
Mar 24, 2017 5:44 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
That was the most intense time I've ever had watching this lol....I was scared for everyone and even though I knew that Tanya wouldn't die, I was scared that she would have gotten hurt pretty bad

But thankfully our boys and girls made it out okay and good riddance to that general guy....Overall that battle was fucking awesome though

And RIP Tanya's dream of not having to fight in a war lol
Mar 24, 2017 5:50 PM

Feb 2011
So sad that the Chief of Operations had his suspicions and just brushed it off as city preservation. You'd think Erich would at least keep his guard up for future threats. What happened? They always thought several steps ahead before. Guess they were satisfied with capturing the capital. They should have been aiming higher since that was all they had been preaching since the beginning. To think they are already making post-war plans when the war isn't completely over yet.

Tanya seems to have underestimated Being X. Think about it. What would lead you to believe you'd be reborn into a world nearing the end of war? Your mindset should be, "this is just the beginning of a long dragged out war." There have been plenty of wars in history that have lasted decades. Don't trick yourself into believing you can shorten one on your own. Well, her original plan was to sit out the war at the rear anyway. Tough luck finding out her power would lead to her own misfortune. So, imagine how she feels knowing she'll be on the front lines the majority of her life. Just Being X's way of setting up "dire straits."

Of course, this is counterproductive to awakening one's faith. Who would worship the very cause of their misfortune? It's like those genies that rip you off. Your reborn with unrivaled powers, but your forced to use it to defend your homeland for the rest of your life. Yep, tough luck mate. It was an up hill battle from the beginning. She might just be prolonging the inevitable. Imagine if she never joined the army. If they'd likely lose the war sooner without her abilities, she'd live in a society were she would be discriminated against regardless of whether she was an orphan or not. Killing her young is obviously not Being X's intent here.

I'll stop here. The moment you re-watch episodes to make a point, you know you've been typing for too long.
ReloadMar 24, 2017 6:01 PM
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Mar 24, 2017 6:06 PM

Sep 2015
Is there any LN readers here? If so, can someone tell me just how much filler is in this episode and previous?
Mar 24, 2017 6:47 PM

Apr 2013
Draconix814 said:
Is there any LN readers here? If so, can someone tell me just how much filler is in this episode and previous?

Who said any of it was filler. This is pretty accurate.

THIS IS REALLY FRUSTRATING TO WATCH THOUGH I MUST SAY.

Mar 24, 2017 6:55 PM

Feb 2011
^^ Filler isn't quite the right way to describe it. Most have referred to it as an anime original development. As for how much, I'm not a reader but it's been stated repeatedly that a certain someone was supposed to have died the 1st time around. In a sense, the whole fight before the suicide explosion can be considered filler.
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Mar 24, 2017 6:55 PM

Jan 2014
I'm expecting a huge dialogue exchange between Tanya and Being X next week for the finale. If another war is looming, then Tanya should really just encourage Doctor Schugal to build a magical nuke. It would be the biggest "UP YOURS" to Being X; next to Tanya getting what she wants.

How many lives must Tanya take for it to be worth it? How can Being X really claim to be a god?
Mar 24, 2017 8:02 PM

Jan 2017
Wow.. that was quite an intense episode.. not only the aerial battle but the emotions at the end, when Tanya was so close to having her peaceful and safe career when the war is over. I used to laugh when Murphy's Law turned against her.. but damn... can't laugh on this one.

One thing tho, Tanya seems better than that salaryman he was before. As the salaryman, he cudn't care less.. but Tanya risked her life to save Weiss and took the brunt of the enemy's fire. In the beginning of the series, he/she feared that losing subordinates wud lessen the chances of promotion. This episode, I think its more than that.
Mar 24, 2017 8:09 PM

Mar 2011
Awesome fight, pretty intense.
I felt so bad for Tanya when she lost her shit knowing the war would continue, it was so close, really close.
Mar 24, 2017 10:04 PM

Jun 2013
All I could think about this week's episode while listening to those horrid explosion sound effects:

Great episode other than that, haha
Mar 25, 2017 12:45 AM

Mar 2017
All I can say is "Wow"
Such intense fighting episode. I've never seen Tanya so serious.
This "Anson Sioux" so persistent.

Sad to see that, 12 is the last episode :(
Better read the light novel now.

I feel so sorry for Tanya... this is frustrating to watch. Seeing Tanya at the end made me feel bad ;w;
eulsMar 25, 2017 12:56 AM

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Mar 25, 2017 12:56 AM

Mar 2009
Dead dude came back to life...just to die again. That was completely pointless. I expected a lot more.
Mar 25, 2017 1:16 AM

Dec 2016
LOL I didn't thought that tanya will save her solider "08:40" ...
So now only 1 episode left..

I hope they announce a second Season!
Mar 25, 2017 1:32 AM

Jun 2013
intense fight at the start they got rekt
Mar 25, 2017 2:05 AM
Oct 2007
2 whole minutes of recap?! That's my only nitpicking :P

I wonder how the show is going to end but I don't really care as long as season 2 is announce.. /finger crossed!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2017 2:37 AM

Jan 2016
They better announce season 2 now.
Mar 25, 2017 2:44 AM

Oct 2008
Tanya is one tough little soldier! Even that god possessed fallen opponent soldier of her self-destructed himself and fallen for the 2nd time.
Looks like she could not sortie her self.
Still waiting for another time stop intervention with Being X and I want another new stronger opponent for Tanya so that she would experience hell again! lolz!
5/5.

Mar 25, 2017 3:14 AM

Aug 2012
When Tanya was yelling "let me go" I got a bad feeling

So close to peace. Damn being X
Mar 25, 2017 3:44 AM
Jan 2016
A thought just occurred to me, in the first episode Zettour stated he was swearing off wine until victory was achieved, yet during meeting between the generals and politicians he was still drinking water. He clearly doesn't consider that moment a sign of victory, but is it because he's being cautiously optimistic or because of more nefarious reasons?

Also Tanya's unit was a special unit that answered directly to the Strategic Headquarters, so the only person who could have given the order to prevent Tanya from intercepting the Republic's counterattack forces was... Zettour. The one general who should understand Tanya's perceptiveness and rationality more than anyone else in the Imperial army, who trusted her enough to give her free reign on forming, training, and leading the special unit, to send her into critical missions, decided to interfere in the last moment. I doubt Zettour would have made that decision completely uninformed, so he must have known Tanya wad loudly claiming her sortie would be to prevent the war from continuing. Did he stop her because he suddenly didn't trust her judgement or because he did?

There was also that foreshadowing in the earlier episode when Rerugen asked if Zettour knew Tanya was the one who wrote the paper on justifying bombing civilian structures during wartime; Zettour did the whole ominous opening-of-eyes thing and declaring he had plans for Tanya, yet the mission after that was strictly attacking military targets. Why bring up the paper after the entire episode of her fighting in a city, hint that he'll have her do more of that... then not do it? Was Tanya's participation in the encircling operation really the extent of Zettour's plans for her?

I strongly suspect Zettour knows damn well what the Republic army's plans are, but has grown overconfident since the Empire took out three countries in a year while retaining much of its fighting power, and wants the war to continue.
MysteriousBananaMar 25, 2017 3:48 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2017

175 by Phixiately »»
Apr 17, 8:45 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2017

186 by Phixiately »»
Apr 16, 8:48 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2017

141 by Phixiately »»
Apr 15, 9:39 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2017

290 by suyumanda »»
Apr 10, 12:25 PM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2017

312 by Phixiately »»
Apr 10, 8:29 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.