Forum Settings
Forums

If you love KyoAni, can you name their worst anime?

New
Mar 16, 2017 4:39 AM

Mar 2017
First of all, really sorry if this thread have been made back then, but i just had the urge to make this one.

I really love Kyoto Animation. But sometimes, perhaps their creation are not what my taste is.
My pick for KyoAni's worst anime, in my opinion, is Kyoukai no Kanata and Musaigen no Phantom World.
Both are their attempt at entering the action-anime genre and flopped hard in my opinion.

Let me know your pick! And if possible, give me your opinion and reason why that anime is the worst.
It's time to play the Game folks!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 16, 2017 4:42 AM

Oct 2013
from what Ive heard their biggest failure from a sales perspective is Brilliant Park
https://myanimelist.net/anime/22147/Amagi_Brilliant_Park
but now when I think about I never did see the statistics so I could be wrong
Mar 16, 2017 4:46 AM

Oct 2016
Kobayashi-chi no Maid Dragon. I wish Kyo-Ani would adapt more good material like Koe no Katachi. Kyo Ani is a studio that adapts the source material faithfully, therefore the quality of their anime is more or less reflective of the source material.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 16, 2017 4:47 AM

Feb 2013
the actual worst is obviously munto.
no sales, no ratings, not a household name
Mar 16, 2017 4:53 AM

Feb 2013
Deknijff said:
from what Ive heard their biggest failure from a sales perspective is Brilliant Park
educate thyself
http://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view

their worst selling 2010+ show is phantom world, with tamako, knk and nichijou also selling less than amagi
worst selling ever is munto

but consider that they recently started to publish and adapt their own light novels meaning they get a way larger share of the money
Mar 16, 2017 4:56 AM
Jul 2018
According to my list it is Nichijou which I rated 2/10, I got to agree with that tbh.
Mar 16, 2017 4:57 AM

Mar 2017
romagia said:
Deknijff said:
educate thyself

their worst selling 2010+ show is phantom world, with tamako, knk and nichijou also selling less than amagi

but consider that they recently started to publish and adapt their own light novels meaning they get a way larger share of the money

Whoa! You just have to mention Munto!
I tried to bury it so deep, but i guess when i made thread about this, that is bound to be unearthed :p
What were they thinking when they decided to animate munto though? lol
It's time to play the Game folks!
Mar 16, 2017 4:58 AM

Feb 2016
I dont know how anyone could really differentiate between their cute girl shows number #34 and #113 since theyre all the same. Trashy teen melodrama stays trashy teen melodrama no matter how much you cry over some bland characters dying or losing their parents or fap to little girls drinking tea all day.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Mar 16, 2017 5:00 AM

Oct 2013
@romagia thank you for getting my facts straight
Mar 16, 2017 5:06 AM

Aug 2015
In my opinion; Musaigen no Phantom World. The anime that came out winter 2016... it's really bad. Like obviously the animation is always top quality, but everything about it was straight out bad.
I think it's one of the lowest ranked KyoAni shows here on MAL, I'm not too sure though.
Mar 16, 2017 5:23 AM

Oct 2015
From the ones I've seen, I dropped Amagi Brilliant Park because it was boring as hell.
And I fear Kobayashi's Maid Dragon won't be as good as it could have been, and I was really looking forward to that one :/
Mar 16, 2017 5:23 AM

Jul 2015
To be honest Kyoani is bad at picking good stories,the majority of them are boring and full of melodrama
They love baiting then give you nothing in the end (hibike , chunibyou , hyouka ...)

Their animation/art and ost are great though

For the worst I'll go with free ...disgusting fujobait pandering
tragedydesuMar 16, 2017 5:29 AM
Mar 16, 2017 5:27 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Not counting Free since I dropped it, Haruhi is by far my least favorite KyoAni anime. I cannot stand Haruhi the character to such an extent that she's easily one of my least favorite characters of all time, across any medium ever. And I like bitchy anime girls, y'know? When she was a bitch I just wanted to kick her teeth in.

It's kind of funny to me that I like moe stuff and CGDCT, yet KyoAni's stuff tends to get kind of eh scores from me.

Like, holy shit, I feel like I'm someone with pretty high ratings overall and KyoAni musters out a 5.14 mean score from me. I didn't know it was that low ._.

It'll probably go up by a good margin after I finish Dragon Maid, though. I don't have that many of their anime under my belt and that one will very very likely get a 9 or so.
ManabanMar 16, 2017 5:32 AM

Mar 16, 2017 5:32 AM

Nov 2012
Ingr1d said:
Kobayashi-chi no Maid Dragon. I wish Kyo-Ani would adapt more good material like Koe no Katachi. Kyo Ani is a studio that adapts the source material faithfully, therefore the quality of their anime is more or less reflective of the source material.

Apart from Lucoa's giant breasts, what's wrong with it? It's one of the better anime they made recently imo.
SuperRedMar 16, 2017 5:36 AM
Mar 16, 2017 5:52 AM
Jan 2013
Whoever decided to butcher Haruhi with their shitty experimentalism on "broadcast version" and "endless eight" deserves to be puked on by mangoworms
gone bai bai
Mar 16, 2017 6:29 AM

Apr 2015
I imagine most people will say Musaigen no Phantom World.

It's okay, KyoAni...

"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Mar 16, 2017 6:32 AM

Oct 2014
Kyoukai no Kanata for sure, dropped that turd after 10 minutes; unwatchable.
Mar 16, 2017 6:38 AM

Feb 2010
From the ones I've seen I'm pretty sure it's Kyoukai no Kanata. Musaigen would probably be up there if I had watched it. Chuunibyou Season 2 definitely is too, only KyoAni show I ever dropped IIRC. Although season 1 was pretty good. Next in line are the key works (I've only seen Clannad from the KyoAni x Key works but I generally don't think their stuff is very good despite AS having its moments). Followed by Hyouka which was pretty boring and Tamako Market which also wasn't very memorable aside from maybe the movie. Then probably Hibike, Free, Amagi and Chuunibyou S1, the FMP stuff, Haruhi and Kobayashi in no particular order. Those are the good shows I quite enjoyed. The top 3 are most likely K-On (3rd), Lucky Star (2nd) and Nichijou (1st).
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 16, 2017 6:40 AM

May 2014
For me the worse were the KEY adaptations. Clannad,AIR and Kanon.

I just never got invested in anything that was happening in them.They're not terrible, just mediocre.
Mar 16, 2017 6:42 AM

Jan 2016
I haven't watched too much anime from them, i gave Amagi and the Tamako movie a 6 but i'm glad they made Nichijou.
Mar 16, 2017 8:35 AM

Mar 2015
From the ones I've seen, Kyoukai no Kanata. It did cute and it did fantasy action but the way it meshed them was horrible imo! I honestly liked the recap movie more than the TV anime, the OVA and the sequel movie...
Mar 16, 2017 8:40 AM
Jul 2018
romagia said:
the actual worst is obviously munto.
no sales, no ratings, not a household name

Yeah, I pretty much agree with this

Musaigen was mediocre but the last episode shot up the score by like one point for me. If the show had more episodes like the last couple, with less plodding around & doing squat with an ecchi moment thrown in for pandering measure, and more of an emotional drive, I definitely would've seen it as a better show. KnK wasn't that bad to me, just an example of a show victimized by too short an episode count to try and shoehorn a larger narrative.
Mar 16, 2017 9:15 AM

Jun 2015
I do quite like KyoAni even though I haven't seen much of their works.

From what I've watched, Clannad was most certainly the dullest. It has a couple good moments but I can't get a feel of the characters for the life of me.

Off topic, Phantom World was pretty decent and the hate it gets is unjust IMO. I really can't find anything in it that I'd consider straight up bad. Like what, the main female lead has big tits? Big fucking whoop.
AltoRoarkMar 16, 2017 9:21 AM
Mar 16, 2017 9:20 AM

May 2015
Amagi was a pretty lackluster adaptation with solid but unmemorable visuals, a ridiculous cast of characters where everyone was basically a one-joke sidekick, and a predictable, repetitive plot that took its compelling premise in the most obvious and boring direction from start to finish.

KnK was an interesting project, bogged down by poor and confusing worldbuilding, weird structure, and the worst kind of lolwut ending imaginable. Top-notch technicals, but story was too meh to actually care.

Chu2byo season 2 commits the grave sin of repeating the first season (which I loved) all over again, stalling every character's growth for the sake of an absolutely pointless love triangle. It doesn't develop the themes of its predecessor, the romance goes backwards instead of forward, and some of the episodes are so devoid of meaning and entertainment I wonder if the staff just decided to start trolling after laughing their asses off at the LNs.

I have yet to watch Phantom World nor any of the Key works other than Clannad, which I assume would be the next ones in line.

I'm a huge kyoani fanboy btw
Mar 16, 2017 9:22 AM

Mar 2015
The first season of Clannad was pretty meh
Mar 16, 2017 9:29 AM

Nov 2016
From what i've seen so far Nichijou.
It wasn't bad, but 26 episodes of it were too much, the jokes felt repetive.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 16, 2017 9:32 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Definitely Kyoukai no Kanata. One of the worst endings in anime history, though even before that it was average at best

Phantom World was also pretty derp though
Mar 16, 2017 9:39 AM

Jan 2014
Phantom World was not great but I feel some of the episodes where good and it was fairly fun at times, but the worst I've seen from them was the second season of Chuunibyou. I didn't see much reason for it.
Mar 16, 2017 9:53 AM

May 2015
My lowest rated is Myriad, so I'd say Myriad. It's not bad, there's just nothing special to it.

Definitely not Kyoukai no Kanata though. The ending excuse is voided by the movie, and it's one of the best KyoAni shows I've watched. KnK is among their best animated shows.
Mar 16, 2017 9:53 AM

Jan 2017
I haven't even seen it but I know its got to be Free
Mar 16, 2017 10:03 AM
Dec 2015
Haruhi is my least favorite, even though I still ultimately liked the series and the movie is a masterpiece. Series could have been great if Haruhi and Mikiru weren't so unbearably annoying and Koizumi wasn't so useless. I've yet to see Kyoukai no Kanata, Free, Lucky Star, Nichijou, AmaBuri, or Fumoffu and Second Raid (and Munto I guess), but everything else from them is great.
Mar 16, 2017 10:04 AM

Jan 2017
Manaban said:
Not counting Free since I dropped it, Haruhi is by far my least favorite KyoAni anime. I cannot stand Haruhi the character to such an extent that she's easily one of my least favorite characters of all time, across any medium ever. And I like bitchy anime girls, y'know? When she was a bitch I just wanted to kick her teeth in.

hahaha seconded hellas. all of her bitching set my rage meter to 99.9%
bats are just rat angels
Mar 16, 2017 10:07 AM

Jul 2012
I have seen every Kyoani work so unlike 90% of the responders in this thread I can actually give an opinion backed by experience and not: guessing because I dropped a show after 2 episodes, or from word of mouth.

Munto is the worst kyoani with Phantom world a close second.
Mar 16, 2017 10:10 AM
Dec 2015
Ingr1d said:
Kyoani is usually faithful, but they often add many things and fix some issues to either change the focus of the show or just improve it. Most will argue that Clannad After Story is far better than the VN from what I've seen, while K-On added so much stuff that it completely changed the story from a bland 4-koma comedy to a heartfelt coming-of-age story with actual personality and character development. Maid Dragon seems to be taking that path as well, and it's become one of Kyoani's best works IMO.
Mar 16, 2017 10:35 AM

Jan 2013
This shit is the worst KyoAni work by far.

They really got you suckers by the balls with this one.
Have fun with your amnesia movie.
Mar 16, 2017 10:46 AM

Oct 2014
https://myanimelist.net/anime/7017

I hated this even more than the commercials. Munto was also pretty garbage.
Mar 16, 2017 11:25 AM

Jul 2013
My lowest rated KyoAni anime are Amagi Brilliant Park, Musaigen no Phantom World and Kyoukai no Kanata. Amaburi was just too dull. The MC seemed interesting at first with his blatant narcissism but like the rest of the show, quickly became boring. Sento's no good either. Just a mere plot device.

Musaigen no Phantom World was also very bad. It's got nothing going on in it. The only episodes I genuinely consider good is that one episode where Haruhiko turned into a child and was taken care of by Mai and the finale where Haruhiko's solidarity and loneliness was tackled upon. The Mai/Child Haruhiko especially was a very heartwarming episode to me. The rest are bad.

Kyoukai no Kanata was too melodramatic and the plot was too confusing for me. The action isn't great despite KyoAni's god tier animation. The movies doesn't help either especially the sequel. They upped the melodrama in it a lot. In the end, the most entertaining episode and the only thing I cared about in KnK was that idol episode which isn't even in the original Light Novels if I get my facts right.
Mar 16, 2017 11:31 AM

Aug 2013
I haven't seen the ones that are considered the worst, such as Musaigen or Amagi, but the one I've enjoyed the least is Tamako Market.
I usually like KyoAni's way of making cute shows and I'm a fan of SoL too, but Tamako just didn't have any characters or even situations that I tried to care about, not to talk that sub plot with the distant tribe which seemed really stupid to me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 16, 2017 11:45 AM

Nov 2009
Of KyoAni shows I've seen, I didn't like Hibike Euphonium the most.
I also disliked some dumb super-deformed Haruhi specials.
There are also Nichijou and Free which I avoided, and Tamako Market which didn't inspire me to see it.

I liked Musaigen, Amaburi and Kyoukai no Kanata. I don't see why so many people claim they're some of the worst.
Mar 16, 2017 11:48 AM

Nov 2012
from the ones i've seen, kyoukai no kanata
Mar 16, 2017 11:55 AM

Jul 2013
Phantom World, I'm sorry but this show was just episodic as hell. Don't get me wrong it started okay at first but when downhill pretty quick.

Mar 16, 2017 11:56 AM

Mar 2017
K-On

my favorites would be amagi, kyoukai no kanata and chuunibyou, I really like their character designs.
Mar 16, 2017 11:59 AM
Jan 2015
I think KyoAni is a fantastic studio, but their projects... not so much.

I absolutely despise the Ura-On shorts, if that counts.

If not... Lucky Star, from what I've seen.
Mar 16, 2017 12:23 PM

Jun 2015
KamenRiderMagna said:
Phantom World, I'm sorry but this show was just episodic as hell. Don't get me wrong it started okay at first but when downhill pretty quick.

2017 and people are still using "episodic" as a criticism.
Mar 16, 2017 12:29 PM

Aug 2016
I haven't watched many as I've only watched 7 franchises that they worked on, but the worst one I've seen was Lucky Star and to me, that was "fine" (~6/10 per MAL scale)

Haven't watched Musaigen, Munto, or KnK which seems to be the popular choices for KyoAni in this thread.
Mar 16, 2017 12:45 PM

Nov 2014
Gee, these responses are a lot more varying than I would've expected. I'd say this itself is mostly because KyoAni has made shows for almost every demographic while maintaining its distinctive identity, which is pretty impressive if you think about it.

As for me, I haven't seen a KyoAni show I would actually call 'bad' yet. (I haven't watched Phantom World or KnK yet tho, so idk). For the most part, I think half of KyoAni's work is awesome and the other half is mediocre. If I was to actually pick a least favorite, I guess it would be K-On, but it's not by much. That's like a 5 for me, next to Hyouka, Amagi, and After Story (which I'd get a lot of shit for, but whatever).
Mar 16, 2017 3:14 PM

Feb 2013
Paul_Levesque said:
romagia said:
educate thyself

Whoa! You just have to mention Munto!
I tried to bury it so deep, but i guess when i made thread about this, that is bound to be unearthed :p
What were they thinking when they decided to animate munto though? lol
very likely it was not their decision...
Mar 16, 2017 3:17 PM

Sep 2014
Clannad is horrible.

Everything else I watched was at least okay.
Mar 16, 2017 3:45 PM

Sep 2012
Darek said:
According to my list it is Nichijou which I rated 2/10, I got to agree with that tbh.

I would agree with Amagi Brilliant Park but since I was able to finish it it is probably Kyoukai no Kanata or Musaigen.
Mar 16, 2017 4:31 PM

Feb 2015
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 5 hours ago

29 by LoveYourEyes »»
17 seconds ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

89 by LostSpectre »»
2 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 7 hours ago

34 by DarkShame2 »»
4 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Yesterday

14 by Zayvex »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

90 by camay1997 »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.