Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 15, 2017 3:31 PM

Mar 2013
An official website has opened for a new anime adaptation of Go Nagai's Devilman manga. Titled Devilman: crybaby, the anime will premiere as a Netflix original series in Spring 2018.

In the new series, the protagonist Akira Fudo is informed by his best friend Ryou Asuka that the demons will revive and reclaim the world from the humans. As the humans do not stand a chance against the supernatural power of the demons, Ryou suggests fusing with a demon. Akira becomes Devilman, with the power of a demon and the heart of a human.

Staff
Director: Masaaki Yuasa (Youjouhan Shinwa Taikei)
Script: Ichiro Okouchi (Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch)
Animation Producer: EunYoung Choi (Ping Pong The Animation)
Music: Kensuke Ushio (Koe no Katachi)
Executive Producer: Atsuhiro Iwakami (Hidamari Sketch), Takashi Nagai (Mazinkaiser), Ueko Noriyasu (Fuujin Monogatari)
Producer: Youhei Shintaku (Rewrite), Kazuomi Nagai (Shin Getter Robo)
Studio: Science SARU
Production: Aniplex, Dynamic Planning

A talk show event for the anime will be held at AnimeJapan 2017 on March 25, where Nagai and Yuasa will attend. The project is commemorating the 50th anniversary of Nagai's work.

Devilman began its serialization in Weekly Shounen Magazine in June 1972 and ended in June 1973. Since its debut, more than 10 million volumes have been printed. A 39-episode TV anime adaptation, produced by Toei Animation, was broadcast between July 1972 and April 1973.

PV

Official site: http://devilman-crybaby.com
Official Twitter: @DevilmanCryBaby

Source: Comic Natalie

News tip submitted by edge13

Devilman: Crybaby on MAL
VindstotNov 1, 2020 9:24 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 15, 2017 3:34 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Oooooh myyyyy.
So this is the TV anime project that Yuasa was talking about
Surprised that its a new Devilman anime !
Sad that we'll be waiting a year for it tho :/
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 15, 2017 3:37 PM

Feb 2013
I finished watching everything related with Devilman last month.
I'm gonna watch it for sure.
Mar 15, 2017 3:39 PM

Jul 2011
HELL YES I'M SO PUMPED
Mar 15, 2017 3:41 PM

Jun 2014
YUASA AND DEVILMAN I FUCKING CAME SO FUCKING HARD
TEN COMMANDMENTS:
1) If Evangelion and Psycho-Pass are his only 10s, he probably also worships Tool and smells like cheesy puffs 2) Freudian psychosis =/= good writing 3) Moe blob art style is only ok in pure slice-of-life comedy 4) It's ok to enjoy shounen. Having fun is allowed 5) It is not ok to enjoy isekai (jk, it is, I just fucking hate it) 6) Creator breakdown =/= good writing 7) A story does not have to be wrapped up with a bow. Life is messy, why would a good story need to be tidy? 8) InuYasha is proto-Twilight 9) Ecchi CAN be good, but is almost always an abomination 10) If God is real, They allowed Super Kid to happen, so fuck Them
Mar 15, 2017 3:42 PM

Jun 2014
That staff is nutso.
TEN COMMANDMENTS:
1) If Evangelion and Psycho-Pass are his only 10s, he probably also worships Tool and smells like cheesy puffs 2) Freudian psychosis =/= good writing 3) Moe blob art style is only ok in pure slice-of-life comedy 4) It's ok to enjoy shounen. Having fun is allowed 5) It is not ok to enjoy isekai (jk, it is, I just fucking hate it) 6) Creator breakdown =/= good writing 7) A story does not have to be wrapped up with a bow. Life is messy, why would a good story need to be tidy? 8) InuYasha is proto-Twilight 9) Ecchi CAN be good, but is almost always an abomination 10) If God is real, They allowed Super Kid to happen, so fuck Them
Mar 15, 2017 3:43 PM

Apr 2009
Holy shit, Yuasa and Devilman is a combo that makes me very interested. Really looking forward to this.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Mar 15, 2017 3:52 PM

Feb 2008
Looking forward to some hipster orgies.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Mar 15, 2017 3:54 PM

May 2015
Now here's something that I didn't expect to see at this age. Science SARU will be adapting it...and they're pretty new...This ought to give them some attention. ^_^
Mar 15, 2017 4:04 PM

Jun 2014
ZetaZaku said:
Looking forward to some hipster orgies.

Excuse me, SATANIC hipster orgies, thank you very much.

Yuasa and Devilman should come together like fucking magic, absurdly pumped.
TEN COMMANDMENTS:
Mar 15, 2017 4:04 PM

Jul 2015
Holy shit, Yuasa is fucking directing
Sup...
Mar 15, 2017 4:14 PM

Jan 2013
>Yuasa and Devilman
WHAT IS THIS SORCERY, ARE WE IN SOME BIZARRO WORLD?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Mar 15, 2017 4:15 PM

Jan 2016
Hype.

A Go Nagai manga adaptation directed by Yuasa, is this real life?
Mar 15, 2017 4:22 PM
Jul 2018
Hmm, spring 2018? No way I will remember this for long time! I wished it could come this year.. **sigh**

anyway from the look of pv, it looks like we will be expecting 3d cgi animation..

btw who planning to watch 1970s devilman? well rating seems low for this series but i hope they will devise carefully and show us that devil man is really devilish.

Anyway I will be looking forward to this
Mar 15, 2017 4:28 PM

Jan 2013
SkyDrop said:
Hmm, spring 2018? No way I will remember this for long time! I wished it could come this year.. **sigh**

anyway from the look of pv, it looks like we will be expecting 3d cgi animation..

btw who planning to watch 1970s devilman? well rating seems low for this series but i hope they will devise carefully and show us that devil man is really devilish.

Toei's 70s Devilman is pretty much a more "kiddie/light hearted" monster of the week version that deviates from the manga.
Watch the OVAs instead, if you haven't already.

Mar 15, 2017 4:36 PM

Mar 2016
I'm so happy. I think it will be the best anime of 2018.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2017 4:48 PM

Aug 2014
Apparently the adaptation will include the end of the manga. Not sure of the implications.
Sieg Zeon!
Mar 15, 2017 4:55 PM
Jul 2018
Cabron said:
SkyDrop said:

Toei's 70s Devilman is pretty much a more "kiddie/light hearted" monster of the week version that deviates from the manga.
I hope this will turn out solid [like ushio to tora] and btw how many episodes we can expect from this if they decide to adapt whole manga?
Mar 15, 2017 4:58 PM

Jan 2013
SkyDrop said:
Cabron said:
I hope this will turn out solid [like ushio to tora] and btw how many episodes we can expect from this if they decide to adapt whole manga?
Now that, I wouldn't know...

Mar 15, 2017 5:00 PM

Apr 2014
I hope they do it justice :]
been meaning to finish devilman for a while now
Mar 15, 2017 5:04 PM

Jan 2012
There's no Oshiyama, so I assume that Devilman is not the last thing from Yuasa that gets announced this year.
Mar 15, 2017 5:04 PM

Jun 2015
Checking it's not 1st of April.
Mar 15, 2017 5:08 PM

Dec 2015
The director choice is interesting enough on its own. The platform is probably a good thing to avoid TV obligations (unless a TV founds it too). Now, the question is:
What will be the people Akira has "to join" for his rebirth?

In the 60s manga: hippies, in the 80s OAV: "allnighters", and in the 2018 ONAs?

edit @simo000 @ArthronGeok Thank you, the bichromie must have induced me in error.

@HamburgerSpike I believe Amon presents another road branching out before Go Nagai's own end, where the hero is "replaced" by the demon he was controlling. Also, I know the original isn't inconclusive but the world of Devilman is further shown through the very long Violence Jack series.
Rei_IIIMar 16, 2017 12:51 AM
Mar 15, 2017 5:23 PM

Feb 2016
Can Masaaki Yuasa somehow make a script written by the Code Geass guy good? I imagine this will be a tough battle but I believe that even if its total shlock, it should be extremely entertaining.
HYPE

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Mar 15, 2017 5:24 PM

Jan 2011
Hyped as fuck when I heard Yuasa was involved.
Mar 15, 2017 5:28 PM

Jun 2012
The Masterpiece Maker back at it again. Really looking forward to how this turns out.
Mar 15, 2017 5:30 PM

Jun 2014
I have no knowledge of this but I like Yuasa so I'll watch it.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 15, 2017 5:40 PM

Dec 2014
Waiting an entire year is going to be excruciatingly painful.
Mar 15, 2017 5:41 PM
Oct 2009
HamburgerSpike said:
Can Masaaki Yuasa somehow make a script written by the Code Geass guy good? I imagine this will be a tough battle but I believe that even if its total shlock, it should be extremely entertaining.
HYPE

Considering he has written some pretty good scripts in that and other shows, objectively speaking, this is not exactly impossible. As for "total shlock"... you should read Devilman and/or watch the OVAs first and then come back.
Mar 15, 2017 5:47 PM

Oct 2008
SkyDrop said:

Rei366 said:

No, just kidding. The real question is: "why 3DCGIIII?! WHY!!"

where are you guys seeing 3D CGI? There's none in the trailer. That's just Yuasa's style.
Mar 15, 2017 5:47 PM

Apr 2013
Since it's going to be a Netflix original, that means it won't be a victim to censorship laws, yes? Hell yeah.
Mar 15, 2017 5:58 PM

Feb 2016
jgomezg said:
HamburgerSpike said:
HYPE

Considering he has written some pretty good scripts in that and other shows, objectively speaking, this is not exactly impossible. As for "total shlock"... you should read Devilman and/or watch the OVAs first and then come back.

Ye, hes done the script for Kabaneri recently :D Depends what you consider good but I already said im fine with it as long as its entertaining.

I was kinda hoping someone who read it could tell me how the manga is :D

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

Mar 15, 2017 6:02 PM
Jan 2014
E R E C T

Glad yuasa is doing some gritty again. Missed it.
Mar 15, 2017 6:09 PM

Jan 2013
HamburgerSpike said:
jgomezg said:

Ye, hes done the script for Kabaneri recently :D Depends what you consider good but I already said im fine with it as long as its entertaining.

Hehe, that's something that you're going to need to find out for yourself. ;)

Mar 15, 2017 6:21 PM

Apr 2014
Looks cartoonish. :-(
Mar 15, 2017 6:30 PM

Feb 2016
Cabron said:
HamburgerSpike said:

Holy fuck this franchise is big and complicated, I didnt expect some Gundamish-satanic shenanigans. The manga seems to be a few hundred chapters total so which OVA is the best one to start with?

Mar 15, 2017 6:41 PM

Jan 2013
HamburgerSpike said:
Cabron said:

Holy fuck this franchise is big and complicated, I didnt expect some Gundamish-satanic shenanigans. The manga seems to be a few hundred chapters total so which OVA is the best one to start with?
Haha don't let that discourage you.
Start with Birth: https://myanimelist.net/anime/2354/Devilman__Tanjou-hen
And afterwards it sequel: https://myanimelist.net/anime/2355/Devilman__Yochou_Sirene-hen
Get a general idea, from there start with the manga.

Mar 15, 2017 6:44 PM

Feb 2016
Cabron said:
HamburgerSpike said:

And afterwards it sequel: https://myanimelist.net/anime/2355/Devilman__Yochou_Sirene-hen

Thanks a lot, also judging from the score I suppose this is the most important and best work in the franchise: https://myanimelist.net/anime/2356/Amon__Devilman_Mokushiroku right?

Mar 15, 2017 6:54 PM
Mar 15, 2017 6:56 PM

Jan 2013
HamburgerSpike said:
Cabron said:

Thanks a lot, also judging from the score I suppose this is the most important and best work in the franchise: https://myanimelist.net/anime/2356/Amon__Devilman_Mokushiroku right?
Eh, it's alright.
The adaption was pretty weak, you won't really know what's happening unless you read the manga.
Although I will say that it does some of the manga panels justice.

Mar 15, 2017 7:01 PM

May 2014
Never watched Devilman before but I may give it a shot before this one comes out
Mar 15, 2017 7:19 PM

Jan 2016
Holy fucking god damn shit, this is awesome, 3 Yuasa projects in a year! I never would have guessed the netflix devilman was the Yuasa/Oshiyama project they said was getting announced in March. Anyone who's afraid of censorship, don't worry, they said it was gonna be full of sex and violence. I've always been interested in devilman and now one of my favorite directors is doing an adaptation!
Mar 15, 2017 8:13 PM
Nov 2015
Yuasa the god. Ive read the manga, its paced abit fast and inconsistent at times. Yuasa can patch that up [[[:

Should i watch those 2 OVA's listed? I dont know how proactive i can be to watch the 39ep series thats not even rated a 7 lol
Mar 15, 2017 8:19 PM

Jan 2013
SillySempai said:
Yuasa the god. Ive read the manga, its paced abit fast and inconsistent at times. Yuasa can patch that up [[[:

Should i watch those 2 OVA's listed? I dont know how proactive i can be to watch the 39ep series thats not even rated a 7 lol
Just watch the two OVAs, the one from Toei has nothing to do with the manga and is more "family friendly".

Mar 15, 2017 8:20 PM

Nov 2011
This has a lot of talented staff behind the work. Nice.

Looking forward to it!
Mar 15, 2017 8:47 PM

Sep 2012
Katsu-kun said:
Looks cartoonish. :-(

The art-style of the manga is rather cartoonish, the art-style on the pv actually looks very close to the manga.

SkyDrop said:

Rei366 said:

No, just kidding. The real question is: "why 3DCGIIII?! WHY!!"

not cg, just really well done 2d animation, especially how fluid is the head turn-around at 00:34.

Knowing Yuasa woks, I'm expecting a really godly animation on this!
Mar 15, 2017 9:20 PM

Jan 2010
netflix?! accessible. nice!
animation looks impressive,
i'll definitely check it out
Mar 15, 2017 10:45 PM

Dec 2015
Those studio names tho man...
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Mar 15, 2017 11:18 PM

Mar 2015
ahh.. uhh..since when go nagai is a hip? what the fuck?does anything old considered hippies nowdays?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 16, 2017 1:32 AM

Aug 2015
ukloim said:
There's no Oshiyama, so I assume that Devilman is not the last thing from Yuasa that gets announced this year.

Other staff members still not announced I think this is the rumored Yuasa project, with Oshiyama as the Key animator.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

70 by dodoxdo97 »»
2 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 11 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
8 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.