Forum Settings
Forums

Will veteran anime fans ever acknowledge modern day animation

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Mar 13, 2017 1:10 PM

Jul 2015
Nope, their minds are made up. It doesn't matter much to me anyway, if I want to watch a vintage series or a modern anime, I'll just watch it, it doesn't matter to me what "the elitist" think.
Mar 13, 2017 2:35 PM

Mar 2016
If they haven't acknowledge modern day animation yet they probably never will.
Mar 13, 2017 3:25 PM

Jul 2013
I don't think so and modern anime still have the low frame rate issues. Would a veteran want an anime that looks like some video game overworking its CPU?
Mar 13, 2017 5:34 PM

Dec 2016
Man, SNES was so much better than the Nintendo Switch.
Mar 13, 2017 7:05 PM

Dec 2012
I've been watching anime for 21 years and like both. I keep up with the current season and have also seen enough "classics" to max out my Nostalgia stat on MALGraph.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 13, 2017 7:20 PM

May 2015
I've been watching since the 90s and I acknowledge newer animation. Hell, Cross Ange is what got me into the Macross series.
Mar 13, 2017 7:51 PM
Mar 2017
NathK450 said:
By veterans I mean people who have been watching anime since way back when with retro animation. I see a lot of veterans giving modern day anime bad ratings and reviews. The main reason is because "today's anime will never be as good as old anime."I will admit that that can be true because Trigun, Cowboy Bebop and such were amazing, but is this a legitimate excuse to give modern day anime bad ratings?
I acknowledge it every day! What I find frustrating is the lack of most new anime fans to acknowledge or care to watch older animation. I find all good things timeless, no matter what the era!
Mar 13, 2017 7:56 PM

Jan 2013
There are good shows in every generation, the older fans are blinded by nostalgia and the newer fans don't care enough to watch the older shows. You miss out on good shows regardless so that's why its better to just give things a chance. The Gundam franchise is pretty good at showing this, their is clearly a divide between fans of the 80s/90s series and from the series that aired in the 2000s.
Mar 13, 2017 8:00 PM
Dec 2014
Ignoring "veteran" and "casual" and whatever tag people throw around, I grew up on anime in the 80's (due to moving around the world as a toddler, Japanese anime was actually the first form of animation I encountered) and watched a fair share of anime from the 70's and 80's.

If I thought that today's anime were crap, I had nearly 3 decades to "grow out of it". I don't enjoy every anime today, and I didn't back then. I -am- more fussy today, and having watched so many anime it is hard to find something that is really fresh and any anime that doesn't recycle something from the past without improving anything other than the art will probably fail to appeal, but even that might not be because it is atrocious per se, but because it's a "been there, done that" thing.
Mar 13, 2017 8:03 PM

Feb 2016
I'm not sure if I can call myself veteran or not - but I'd say there are pretty good new animations as well? I love old anime - but I also do like new ones.
Mar 13, 2017 9:19 PM
Mar 2017
cure_potato said:
I'm not sure if I can call myself veteran or not - but I'd say there are pretty good new animations as well? I love old anime - but I also do like new ones.
echo pure_potato..........................
Mar 13, 2017 10:27 PM

Mar 2011
AxBattler said:
Ignoring "veteran" and "casual" and whatever tag people throw around, I grew up on anime in the 80's (due to moving around the world as a toddler, Japanese anime was actually the first form of animation I encountered) and watched a fair share of anime from the 70's and 80's.

If I thought that today's anime were crap, I had nearly 3 decades to "grow out of it". I don't enjoy every anime today, and I didn't back then. I -am- more fussy today, and having watched so many anime it is hard to find something that is really fresh and any anime that doesn't recycle something from the past without improving anything other than the art will probably fail to appeal, but even that might not be because it is atrocious per se, but because it's a "been there, done that" thing.

I think this is the crux of it. More experienced watchers become more jaded and this response is normal (in any hobby). I expect newer anime fans today will say the same thing in a decade or so and harken back to the glorious days back in 2007-2011. Passion burns out and novelty wears out.

Besides, I don't even think "veteran" anime fans-as OP describes-even put down modern anime. Many of them, from my experience, love anime that have come out in the last few years: Tatami Galaxy, Mushishi, Ping Pong, FMAB, Rakugo etc etc.

Also OP, I would not call Trigun and Cowboy Bebop "retro" lmao. Certainly nothing after Evangelion can be considered as such. We are very much in the same era of animation since 1995. Not that much as changed surprisingly.
What do you think you're piloting? Great Mazinger? Dangaioh? For Pete's sake, this isn't some robot cartoon whose main character is an autistic kid or some punk. - Kiichi Goto, Mobile Police Patlabor
Mar 13, 2017 11:18 PM

May 2014
Obviously not, because they're right. Astro Boy is best anime of all time.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Mar 13, 2017 11:35 PM

Mar 2014
Probably if they watch it and like it. I've seen like 2 people in these forums that flat refuse to watch newer anime though.
Mar 14, 2017 6:03 AM

Sep 2009
Starlight2001 said:
Im not a veteran but i can assure you that modern anime is trash, full of plotless SOL, CGDCT and LN adaptations. So they will never acknowledge modern anime.

I'm not a veteran, and I approve of this statement.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 14, 2017 8:49 AM

Apr 2016
Starlight2001 said:
Im not a veteran but i can assure you that modern anime is trash, full of plotless SOL, CGDCT and LN adaptations. So they will never acknowledge modern anime.

Are you on drugs? CGDCT is love. Tsk tsk tsk
Mar 14, 2017 8:54 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Well anime is already trash so of course this is trash as well

Mar 14, 2017 9:07 AM

Nov 2009
MortalMelancholy said:
Starlight2001 said:

But no actual veterans approve of it. Do you know why? Choose one:
1) Because one does not survive as an anime fan with this kind of snobbish attitude. These people just finish watching all the elitist stuff in a year, and go on to other mediums.
2) Because anybody worth the title of veteran is above making such stupid generalizations. With age comes the superpower of using "seasonal" list to see how many different anime there are.
Veterans also gain the ability to tell CGDCT shows (usually 4-koma adaptations) apart from LN adaptations.
3) Because you start enjoying plotless SoL and CGDCT anime when you grow old.
Mar 14, 2017 9:57 AM

Sep 2009
flannan said:
MortalMelancholy said:

But no actual veterans approve of it. Do you know why? Choose one:
1) Because one does not survive as an anime fan with this kind of snobbish attitude. These people just finish watching all the elitist stuff in a year, and go on to other mediums.

Yes, it does seem likely they'd renounce anime fandom. As for other mediums... Questionable.

flannan said:
2) Because anybody worth the title of veteran is above making such stupid generalizations.

"Trash" isn't a stupid generalization. It's an accurate one.

flannan said:
With age comes the superpower of using "seasonal" list to see how many different bad anime there are.

Fixed

flannan said:
Veterans also gain the ability to tell CGDCT shows (usually 4-koma adaptations) apart from LN adaptations.

That doesn't take most of them out of the "trash" category though.

flannan said:
3) Because you start enjoying plotless SoL and CGDCT anime when you grow old.

That still doesn't take them out of the "trash" category.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 14, 2017 10:06 AM

Nov 2009
@MortalMelancholy
I'll put your reply in a frame and post it whenever somebody tries to claim elitists do not exist.
Mar 14, 2017 10:12 AM

Feb 2016
flannan said:
@MortalMelancholy
I'll put your reply in a frame and post it whenever somebody tries to claim elitists do not exist.

Dont forget to also post his favorites/highest rated shows along with it to denounce these opinions about associating certain shows with certain behaviors.
Although if I were to be honest and not politically correct these plotless SoLs and CGDCT are indeed trash

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Mar 14, 2017 11:13 AM

Dec 2016
Not to say that this discussion is useless, but this is a generation thing that has been going on in every kind of media and/or thematic in the world.

Classic music vs. today's pop music.
Old school games vs. new games.
Eevn old agronomics vs. new agriculture.
Mar 15, 2017 10:59 AM

Jun 2016
BlueBlack37 said:
Not to say that this discussion is useless, but this is a generation thing that has been going on in every kind of media and/or thematic in the world.

Classic music vs. today's pop music.
Old school games vs. new games.
Eevn old agronomics vs. new agriculture.
Sorry, been hearing about it but never actually knew about it, thus the birth of this forum.
Mar 15, 2017 6:27 PM

Apr 2016
HamburgerSpike said:
flannan said:
@MortalMelancholy

Dont forget to also post his favorites/highest rated shows along with it to denounce these opinions about associating certain shows with certain behaviors.
Although if I were to be honest and not politically correct these plotless SoLs and CGDCT are indeed trash

MortalMelancholy is just a pleb on MAL who enjoys baiting people with his shit opinion. I can't take a pseudo intellectual guy like him serious :^)

PS: I still don't understand everyones hate on CGDCT shows. Sometimes you just want to relax and watch something that doesn't require your full attention and CGDCT shows come in handy. If you don't like the comedy, there are plenty of other CGDCT shows with diffrent comedy, seriously everyone can find his cup of tea.

And that guy who said "plotless slice of life" should think about that twice.
Mar 15, 2017 6:40 PM

Feb 2013
Forget about 70's , you just can't compare a 2014 anime to 2017 anime.

Mainly because anime creators focus on money more than anything else.

People are usually spending too much money on ecchi (or any fan service) genre (which is dominating) to get the bluray and watch uncensored things . So expect more "ecchi" more "moe" ...
Mar 16, 2017 2:48 AM

Nov 2009
Psyxco said:

Really? Here I go, I open winter 2014 anime and winter 2017 anime.
Do you think Mikakunin de Shinkouhei is all that different in quality from Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon?
Maybe Mahou Sensou is better than Youjo Senki?
Okay, Wizard Barristers is probably classier than Urara Meirochou. But is it classier than Demi-chan?
Nobunagun probably will beat Schoolgirl Strikers.
Can somebody comment on Chuu2koi Ren vs KonSuba season 2?

Cirno9 said:
PS: I still don't understand everyones hate on CGDCT shows. Sometimes you just want to relax and watch something that doesn't require your full attention and CGDCT shows come in handy. If you don't like the comedy, there are plenty of other CGDCT shows with diffrent comedy, seriously everyone can find his cup of tea.

When I'm feeling generous, I call it "plot fetish". Otherwise, I just call people who can't enjoy CGDCT "plotfags". Either way, these people have come to the wrong medium, because anime in general isn't plot-heavy.
Mar 16, 2017 6:04 AM

Apr 2016
flannan said:
Psyxco said:

Do you think Mikakunin de Shinkouhei is all that different in quality from Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon?
Okay, Wizard Barristers is probably classier than Urara Meirochou. But is it classier than Demi-chan?

Cirno9 said:

When I'm feeling generous, I call it "plot fetish". Otherwise, I just call people who can't enjoy CGDCT "plotfags". Either way, these people have come to the wrong medium, because anime in general isn't plot-heavy.

I think these guys just don't want to admit that they could enjoy CGDCT. I mean, if someone asks you about your favorites you would probably name a testosterone loaded show like TTGL or w/e and not K-on!
Mar 16, 2017 7:25 AM

Feb 2013
flannan said:
Psyxco said:

Cirno9 said:

My friend I am telling you a fact and I don't really have time to argue with a hardcore anime fan .

Anyway this is my last replay :

You can't compare Noragami to that kids show called "Kono Subarashii Sekai ..." The hell is that anyway if not for the "oppai" and "fan service" that thing would be rated G for kids .

Stop fighting reality every season is worst than the previous one :) we have to accept that fact and thank god that there is already enough anime to watch so even if they stop making it who cares .
Mar 16, 2017 7:34 AM

Nov 2009
Psyxco said:
flannan said:

My friend I am telling you a fact and I don't really have time to argue with a hardcore anime fan .

You can't compare Noragami to that kids show called "Kono Subarashii Sekai ..." The hell is that anyway if not for the "oppai" and "fan service" that thing would be rated G for kids .

Stop fighting reality every season is worst than the previous one :) we have to accept that fact and thank god that there is already enough anime to watch so even if they stop making it who cares .

Fact? What do you know about facts?
If you don't have time to argue, what are you doing writing on forums?

Noragami? that boring shit I dropped around the third episode? I bet it's no better than that new season of Ao no Exorcist which I didn't even bother to open.
I bet even Chaos;Child is more thoughtful, insightful and fun that that piece of crap. Noragami doesn't even look much better than Kemono Friends, because all the efforts on good animation were wasted by the lack of a good character designer.
Mar 16, 2017 7:41 AM

Oct 2015
flannan said:
Psyxco said:

Fact? What do you know about facts?
If you don't have time to argue, what are you doing writing on forums?

Noragami? that boring shit I dropped around the third episode? I bet it's no better than that new season of Ao no Exorcist which I didn't even bother to open.
I bet even Chaos;Child is more thoughtful, insightful and fun that that piece of crap. Noragami doesn't even look much better than Kemono Friends, because all the efforts on good animation were wasted by the lack of a good character designer.

look at his fav, him complaining about kono suba being a kid show is a fucking joke tbh
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Mar 16, 2017 7:42 AM

Jan 2016
Psyxco said:
flannan said:

- telling a fact
- every season is worst than the previous one
- close to zero anime before the '00s in his list

Kek.

The bait was too obvious man...
Mar 16, 2017 7:43 AM

Oct 2015
Johnnyd3rp said:
Psyxco said:

- telling a fact

Kek.

he's complaing about fanservice when the shounen fanservice king is in both his anime fav and manga fav =_=
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Mar 16, 2017 8:02 AM

Feb 2013
Johnnyd3rp said:
Psyxco said:

- telling a fact

Kek.

Well I don't add anime I watched on TV when i was young to my list every single anime you see in my liste is DVD or Blu-ray bought or downloaded (and only the watched after joinning mal not before), and if there is an old anime in my list this means it was rewatched :) so don't try to talk about me talk about the idea you are dealing with "New anime is very bad" . If you switch to me this only means that you couldn't defend your point and decided to fight it's owner which is a huge weakness .
Mar 16, 2017 8:06 AM

Feb 2016
@Cirno9 @flannan Do you really think im a 'plotfag' or a plot oriented person in any sense of the word when looking at my favorites? Is it too hard to understand that looking at cute girls doing cute things could be really boring for some and feels weird to boot as I dont like kids(or infantile adults acting like them) or nothing happening overall.
If im tired and want to relax id much rather watch some action schlock than middle schoolers eating cake...

I could also in the same vein assume you genuinely dont like watching them but it turns you on more than ecchi/porn or whatever.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

Mar 16, 2017 8:11 AM

Nov 2009
HamburgerSpike said:
@Cirno9 @flannan Do you really think im a 'plotfag' or a plot oriented person in any sense of the word when looking at my favorites? Is it too hard to understand that looking at cute girls doing cute things could be really boring for some and feels weird to boot as I dont like kids(or infantile adults acting like them) or nothing happening overall.
If im tired and want to relax id much rather watch some action schlock than middle schoolers eating cake...

I could also in the same vein assume you genuinely dont like watching them but it turns you on more than ecchi/porn or whatever.

1) Yes, not liking kids is hard to understand. This suggests the person in question is an evil alien.

2) I can understand that some people don't like Slice-of-life shows where nothing happens, and prefer action instead. If so, these people should not describe SoL shows as "plotless" when expressing their distaste. The right word is "boring".
Mar 16, 2017 8:11 AM
Jul 2018
Starlight2001 said:

Fully agree. I'm not a veteran, either, but I've seen my fair share of stuff.
However, there are some hidden gems. I personally found the recent Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu to be one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I shit on shows that are bad, whether they're modern or old. And, of course, it's just my opinion. I've shit on some of the most adored animes, too.
Mar 16, 2017 8:25 AM

Feb 2016
flannan said:
HamburgerSpike said:

1) Yes, not liking kids is hard to understand. This suggests the person in question is an evil alien.

2) I can understand that some people don't like Slice-of-life shows where nothing happens, and prefer action instead. If so, these people should not describe SoL shows as "plotless" when expressing their distaste. The right word is "boring".

Well, I have nothing against kids in my family when they act nice, but looking at little girls interacting with other girls just seems unbelievably dull and also feels weird, something like Barakamon or Usagi Drop(the manga doesnt exist btw) are examples of kids shown in a more interesting(although still unrealistic) way.

Plotless is an obvious hyperbole ofc since most of the shows in that genre have significantly slower pace and less complicated plots. The term additionally implies the reason why said person doesnt like them, saving words.

Mar 16, 2017 8:46 AM

May 2015
I don't see a lot of veterans. They seem to have vanished like smoke. Anime is a hobby where novelty and youth dominates and there is less of a solid canon.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 16, 2017 10:23 AM

Apr 2016
HamburgerSpike said:

CGDCT shows aren't about middle schoolers eating cake (K-on! is). It's all about the comedy and it doesn't have to be moe all the time.

And I don't get turned on by lolis, that just came straight of your head without any evidence lmao... "Lolis are for petting and not for fapping!"
Mar 16, 2017 10:35 AM

Jul 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:
I don't see a lot of veterans. They seem to have vanished like smoke. Anime is a hobby where novelty and youth dominates and there is less of a solid canon.

You just don't see them around here, reddit, or youtube because the MAL and other similar communities are anathema to people that actually know what they're talking about. You'd be amazed at how good debates can be in other anime communities out there that are filled with more "seasoned" fans.

*edited for Mr Braininthejar*
AholePonyMar 17, 2017 12:17 PM
Mar 17, 2017 12:07 PM

May 2015
AholePony said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

You just don't see them around here, reddit, or youtube because the MAL and other similar communities are cancer to people that actually know what they're talking about. You'd be amazed at how good debates can be in other anime communities out there that are filled with more "seasoned" fans.

The only 'cancer' here are uber-ironic people who use words like 'cancer' and hate the forums.
Mar 17, 2017 12:19 PM

Jul 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:
The only 'cancer' here are uber-ironic people who use words like 'cancer' and hate the forums.

It happens when you try to speak to the common forum user's level. I fixed it for you I hope it makes you happy.

I still stand by what I said, these forums are pretty terrible.
Mar 18, 2017 12:11 AM

Oct 2015
I really started getting into anime around 2013 or 2014, I've discovered that most of my favorite shows are from the late 90's and early 2000's. Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Initial-D, Wolfs Rain, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex. Moving into the mid 2000's there was Death Note, Black Lagoon, Monster, Gurren Laggen and Code Geass.

The 2010's has had some good anime like Steins;Gate, Space Dandy, FMA: Brotherhood (started in 2009 most most of it was 2010's), Psycho-Pass, Hunter x Hunter 2011 and of course there's still good movies coming out like Wolf Children, the thing is these shows and movies are still several years old, There hasn't really been any anime thats come out in the past few years that I've loved as much as the older ones. Not all anime past 2010 is junk though like some people think. I am annoyed with Lolis being more prevalent now though, I just find it annoying.
Mar 18, 2017 2:07 AM

May 2015
AholePony said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

It happens when you try to speak to the common forum user's level. I fixed it for you I hope it makes you happy.

I had a lot of good discussions here. The thing is, I refused to hop in to 'lol weeb MAL sucks YOUR ALL VIRGINS IRONIC', shitposting is lame so I did the opposite and so far it worked.
Mar 18, 2017 2:16 AM

Feb 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
AholePony said:

I had a lot of good discussions here. The thing is, I refused to hop in to 'lol weeb MAL sucks YOUR ALL VIRGINS IRONIC', shitposting is lame so I did the opposite and so far it worked.

Bad shitposting is lame, good shitposting is funny. People not able to recognize/use jokes/irony are the ones most often angry at others for doing it. AholePony does neither shitpost nor discuss but often presents us with his opinions about the forum and its users which is a truly commendable effort.
Although he did say some nice things in my winter 2k17 thread so hes still a cool dude ;)

Mar 18, 2017 9:35 AM

Nov 2014
NathK450 said:
"today's anime will never be as good as old anime."

I've been watching anime on and off since 1995, and I don't believe this at all. Sure, some classics were produced in the 80s and 90s, but most of my favorites are from this decade. I don't judge anime by how it was made. I judge it by whether or not it entertains or moves me.
Mar 18, 2017 9:36 AM

Sep 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
AholePony said:

You just don't see them around here, reddit, or youtube because the MAL and other similar communities are cancer to people that actually know what they're talking about. You'd be amazed at how good debates can be in other anime communities out there that are filled with more "seasoned" fans.

cancer is much better term than toxic that league of legends kids are using
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Mar 18, 2017 10:01 AM

Feb 2010
GangsterCat said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Are you saying that saying toxic is cancer but saying cancer is not toxic?

I don't know about that but I like where this thread is going.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 18, 2017 4:38 PM

May 2015
GangsterCat said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Considering how grave the sickness cancer is, I don't like how people use it so casually. It has nothing to do with being oversensitive, since there isn't a joke here.
Mar 18, 2017 4:51 PM

May 2015
HamburgerSpike said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Bad shitposting is lame, good shitposting is funny. People not able to recognize/use jokes/irony are the ones most often angry at others for doing it. AholePony does neither shitpost nor discuss but often presents us with his opinions about the forum and its users which is a truly commendable effort.
Although he did say some nice things in my winter 2k17 thread so hes still a cool dude ;)

Shitposters don't seem to tell jokes as much as they want to derail and laugh at it all - haha, ironic on the internet!
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

51 by deg »»
22 seconds ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

179 by alshu »»
37 seconds ago

» Which are the cutest anime girl pout scenes ? (not fan arts but real scenes)

DarkGamerA - Jul 8, 2022

14 by Serafos »»
3 minutes ago

» If you give an anime a 10 do you genuinely think It Is a masterpiece?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 9

48 by Ratris_Decision »»
30 minutes ago

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 7 hours ago

42 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.