Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 10, 2016 3:28 AM

Jul 2015
Hey ;) I have a quick question, how do I watch or what is the watching order of the monogatari series? There is some nisemonogatari, owarimonogatari, nekomonogatari and more and Im lost because of these titles :D I want to know what happend before etc as it happend in Fate/Stay series, you know to find out what happend in FS from 2006 I had to watch Fate/Zero etc.
Apr 10, 2016 3:33 AM
Jun 2013
I personally don't recommend watching it in chronological order, but if you insist you might want to wait because right now they are making movies about the very beginning. Here is chart for the timeline in both order of release and chronological order. http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/bakemonogatari1645/images/a/ad/Timeline_March_2016.png/revision/latest?cb=20160406031531
Apr 10, 2016 3:38 AM

Dec 2013
Release order. Always release order.
Apr 10, 2016 3:43 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
1. Bakemonogatari
2. Nisemonogatari
3. Nekomonogatari: Kuro
4. Monogatari Series: Second Season
5. Hanamonogatari
6. Tsukimonogatari
7. Owarimonogatari
8. Koyomimonogatari
9. Kizumonogatari (I, II & III)

LogSwapper said:
Basically this
Apr 10, 2016 4:50 AM

Feb 2013
HaXXspetten said:
1. Bakemonogatari
2. Nisemonogatari
3. Nekomonogatari: Kuro
4. Monogatari Series: Second Season
5. Hanamonogatari
6. Tsukimonogatari
7. Owarimonogatari
8. Koyomimonogatari
9. Kizumonogatari (I, II & III)

LogSwapper said:
Basically this

i still would switch hanamonogatari with owarimonogatari xD, like it more this way
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Apr 10, 2016 4:53 AM

Jan 2013
Step 1. Don't.
If you manage to fuck up step 1:
Step 2. Apply bleach into eyes.
Apr 10, 2016 5:00 AM

Feb 2013
CondemneDio said:
Step 1. Don't.

And here we have a kid. :/ there is a reason why monogatari is soo high ranked and if smn ask and you cant answer him correctly why bother? I mean there are the forums about each ep in the anime forums. there you can talk as much as you want about how you hate this anime. But writing it in rec like this is what a 10 year old would do in my opinion :/.

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Apr 10, 2016 5:03 AM

Jan 2013
Smooki said:
CondemneDio said:
Step 1. Don't.

And here we have a kid. :/ there is a reason why monogatari is soo high ranked and if smn ask and you cant answer him correctly why bother? I mean there are the forums about each ep in the anime forums. there you can talk as much as you want about how you hate this anime. But writing it in rec like this is what a 10 year old would do in my opinion :/.

I'm just trying to save him from wasting his time. It is more childish to think this series is objectively good, in my opinion. There are no correct answers in anime tastes, kiddo ;)
Apr 10, 2016 6:10 AM

Feb 2013
CondemneDio said:
Smooki said:

I'm just trying to save him from wasting his time. It is more childish to think this series is objectively good, in my opinion. There are no correct answers in anime tastes, kiddo ;)

of course there is no correct answer in anime tastes, but who says he has the same as you? not that he will love the show

I mean i hate death note, because of certain reasons and dont write everywhere dont watch it its crap, objectivly is good. same goes for monogatari, because it is different and the dialogues are fun to folliow. But as a person who says my taste is the true taste this show is shit you are a real kid :P

Mar 1, 2017 9:57 PM

Jun 2015
Monogatari super fan here. Chronological order is NOT watching order, so above post is wrong and would be very confusing. Release order is the order to watch in.

Ideally, here's your watch order:

Bakemonogatari
Nekomonogatari: Kuro (optional, just expands on a side story from Bakemonogatari)
Nisemonogatari
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Hanamonogatari
Tsukimonogatari
Owarimonogatari
Kizumonogatari Movies

Alternatively, you could actually skip past Nisemonogatari straight to Second Season and come back to it later if you want to get straight into the meat of the story. I only say this because a lot of newer viewers get confused/turned off by the vibe of Nisemonogatari (more "fan servicey")
Mar 1, 2017 10:00 PM

Jun 2016
If you prefer the Chronological that would be this one :...

-Kizumonogatari Part 1,2,3
-Koyomimonogatari Ep1
-Nekomonogatari Ep1-4
-Bakemonogatari Ep1-2
-Koyomimonogatari Ep2
-Bakemonogatari Ep3-5
-Bakemonogatari Ep-6-8
-Bakemonogatari Ep9-10
-Bakemonogatari Ep11-15
-Koyomimonogatari Ep3-4
-Nisemonogatari Ep1-7
-Koyomimonogatari Ep5
-Nisemonogatari Ep8-11
-Monogatari SS Ep 7-10
-Monogatari SS Ep17-20
-Owarimonogatari Ep7-12-
-Monogatari SS Ep1-5
-Koyomimonogatari Ep6-7
-Owarimonogatari Ep1
-Owarimonogatari Ep2-6
-Koyomimonogatari Ep8
-Monogatari SS Ep12-15
-Koyomimonogatari Ep9
-Monogatari SS Ep21-26
-Koyomimonogatari Ep10
-Tsukimonogatari Ep1-4
-Orokamonogatari TBA
-Orokamonogatari TBA
-Orokamonogatari TBA
-Koyomimonogatari Ep11-12
-Owarimonogatari 2 TBA
-Owarimonogatari 2 TBA
-Owarimonogatari 2 TBA
-Zoku Owarimonogatari TBA
-Hanamonogatari Ep1-5
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 1, 2017 10:08 PM

Jun 2015

No, it's not. Why would the studio release the show out of chronological order for no reason? Things happen in certain seasons that won't make sense without having seen the previous season, so chronological is incorrect.

Bakemonogatari
Nekomonogatari: Kuro (optional, just expands on a side story from Bakemonogatari)
Nisemonogatari
Hanamonogatari
Tsukimonogatari
Owarimonogatari
Kizumonogatari Movies
Mar 1, 2017 10:08 PM

May 2015

I'm rewatching the series now and literally every comment on KA is about the watching order. It's either those that think chronological is right, or those that are confused because of people telling them how to watch the show. It doesn't help that KA itself has the chronological order listed as the correct order. It's a cluster-fuck.

Mar 1, 2017 10:09 PM

Jun 2016
drgy55 said:

No, it's not. Why would the studio release the show out of chronological order for no reason? Things happen in certain seasons that won't make sense without having seen the previous season, so chronological is incorrect.

Bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari
Hanamonogatari
Tsukimonogatari
Owarimonogatari
Kizumonogatari Movies

Weill If you understand the whole story... Maybe digging it's own order...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 1, 2017 10:11 PM

Dec 2016
Watch it at realese order is okay..it's more fun that way I think bcause will be so much mistery and forshadowing for the next event, you can still paying atention to the chronological order while watching it in realese order, and if something confusing happen u will get the answer later on in the series.but thats just my opinion and advice. just watch it the way you comfortable with..
Mar 1, 2017 10:11 PM

Oct 2013
drgy55 said:
I don't know
maybe because Shaft likes to do shit at random for all I know
chronological order is always the right answer
Mar 1, 2017 10:12 PM

Jun 2015
HikiNEET021 said:
drgy55 said:

Bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari
Hanamonogatari
Tsukimonogatari
Owarimonogatari
Kizumonogatari Movies

Weill If you understand the whole story... Maybe digging it's own order...

If you've seen the whole series, yes, chronological can be interesting. But even having seen the whole thing 11 times now, the one time I watched it chronologically it lacked a lot of the impact and cohesiveness watching in release order has. The way the story is structured is really unconventional, and information is released in each season that you need to understand what's happening in the subsequent season.

So, at least for newcomers, release order is a must.
Mar 1, 2017 10:13 PM

May 2015
Deknijff said:
drgy55 said:
I don't know

Trust me, watching it in CO would be so confusing.

Mar 1, 2017 10:15 PM

Oct 2013
Kittens-kun said:
Deknijff said:
I don't know
if its so confusing I would just see it as a good brain exercise
Mar 1, 2017 10:16 PM

Jun 2015
Deknijff said:
drgy55 said:
I don't know

I'm just not sure what to tell you mate, you haven't see the show. I'm not trying to put you on the defensive, it's just a bit ignorant and silly to tell the two people who have seen it and are recommending release order they're wrong.
Mar 1, 2017 10:20 PM

May 2015
Deknijff said:
Kittens-kun said:
if its so confusing I would just see it as a good brain exercise

You wouldn't get any enjoyment out of it. It's already hard for a new comer to get used to the wacky visuals, the amount of dialogue, and how fast that dialogue is. Adding even more confusion would just make the experience terrible.

Mar 1, 2017 10:21 PM

Oct 2013
drgy55 said:
Deknijff said:
I don't know
I'm just not sure what to tell you mate, you haven't seen the show. I'm not trying to put you on the defensive, it's just a bit ignorant and silly to tell the two people who have seen it and are recommending release order they're wrong.
point taken
but I have actually watched a bit of the show
but as you have seen more of the show I can totally understand how your opinion most likely weighs more than my own here
but I always find chronological order best regardless of series honestly so I'm just expressing my opinion
Mar 1, 2017 10:27 PM

May 2015
Deknijff said:
drgy55 said:
I'm just not sure what to tell you mate, you haven't seen the show. I'm not trying to put you on the defensive, it's just a bit ignorant and silly to tell the two people who have seen it and are recommending release order they're wrong.
point taken
but as you have seen more of the show I can totally understand how your opinion most likely weighs more than my own here
but I always find chronological order best regardless of series honestly so I'm just expressing my opinion

Chronological is the default for most stories, so I can understand why many people, anime sites included, would believe that also holds true for monogatari. But it really doesn't.

You should continue watching though, I highly recommend it. It's a unique experience among the unique experiences that is anime.

Mar 1, 2017 10:30 PM

Apr 2016
I recommend watching this franchise with the release order. You'll grab a better viewpoint towards the characters and the world they introduced, and won't be confused as they gradually explain stuff for every release.
Mar 1, 2017 10:31 PM

Jun 2015
Deknijff said:
drgy55 said:
point taken

That's fair. Most shows are structured that way because most of the time stories make the most sense chronologically. For the purpose of a newcomer to Monogatari, though, I'm very careful to explain watching in release order only because 100% of the time anyone watching in chronological order quickly notices nothing is making sense lol.

I almost just typed 2 paragraphs of examples, but I stopped myself luckily... I'm too obsessed with this series.
Mar 1, 2017 10:38 PM

Oct 2013
Kittens-kun said:
Deknijff said:
point taken
Chronological is the default for most stories, so I can understand why many people, anime sites included, would believe that also holds true for monogatari. But it really doesn't.
You should continue watching though, I highly recommend it. It's a unique experience among the unique experiences that is anime.
I might watch part III of Kizu since it is vampire themed
but otherwise probably won't watch more of the series
also sorry man the show isn't so unique to me honestly
pretty much got the same feel from Revolutionary Girl Utena as I did with Bake
Mar 1, 2017 10:44 PM

Dec 2016
Monogatari series is a bit different in story telling, bcause they self aware about the uncronological order release they made, they often break the 4th wall to talk about the next event for another arc, so release order have its own charm.
Mar 1, 2017 10:48 PM

Jun 2015
Deknijff said:
Kittens-kun said:

It may or may not change your mind, but I actually didn't like the series after I watched Bake. It felt like an artsy, randomness project to me. You don't really get into what makes it so crazy until after Second Season.

So, if you ever get around to it, really worth rewatching Bake and then getting into Second Season imo!
Mar 1, 2017 10:49 PM

Aug 2013
drgy55 said:
Monogatari super fan here. Chronological order is NOT watching order, so above post is wrong and would be very confusing. Release order is the order to watch in.

Bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari
Hanamonogatari
Tsukimonogatari
Owarimonogatari
Kizumonogatari Movies

Alternatively, you could actually skip past Nisemonogatari straight to Second Season and come back to it later if you want to get straight into the meat of the story. I only say this because a lot of newer viewers get confused/turned off by the vibe of Nisemonogatari (more "fan servicey")
I wouldn't recommend skiping nisemonogatari as there is when Kaiki and his methods are indroduced, and you know he isn't a lesser character on Second Season. But that's my only complaint.

Besides that, @Endtity follow this list and don't watch it in chronological order. There is a reason why not only shaft but the author on the novels didn't release this series in that order. Also, it isn't coincidence that the only user recommending following the chronological order is the one that haven't watched the series ;)
Mar 1, 2017 10:52 PM

Jun 2015
Ruffette said:
drgy55 said:

Bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari
Hanamonogatari
Tsukimonogatari
Owarimonogatari
Kizumonogatari Movies

I wouldn't recommend skiping nisemonogatari as there is when Kaiki and his methods are indroduced, and you know he isn't a lesser character on Second Season. But that's my only complaint.

Besides that, @Endtity follow this list and don't watch it in chronological order. There is a reason why not only shaft but the author on the novels didn't release this series in that order. Also, it isn't coincidence that the only user recommending following the chronological order is the one that haven't watched the series ;)

Yah, I get that complaint lol. It's a fair point, it's just that I originally saw Second Season before Nise the first time I watched (being very confused about the order myself) and I found it super enjoyable *shrug*

It was kind of interesting to see Kaiki from Koimonogatari before Kaiki from Nise because in Nise he's more of a 2-dimensional bad dude, where in Koi he's super grey.
Mar 1, 2017 10:57 PM

Oct 2013
drgy55 said:
Deknijff said:
It may or may not change your mind, but I actually didn't like the series after I watched Bake. It felt like an artsy, randomness project to me. You don't really get into what makes it so crazy until after Second Season.
So, if you ever get around to it, really worth rewatching Bake and then getting into Second Season imo
I don know man don't really like the idea to watch a show just to get to some supposedly really good part
would be like me telling you to watch a Doctor Who from 1963-1974 just to get to Tom Baker the 4th Doctor who is the most loved in the franchise
but your thoughts are much appreciated
Mar 1, 2017 11:02 PM

Jun 2015
Deknijff said:
drgy55 said:
So, if you ever get around to it, really worth rewatching Bake and then getting into Second Season imo
I don know man don't really like the idea to watch a show just to get to some supposedly really good part
would be like me telling you to watch a Doctor Who from 1963-1974 just to get to Tom Baker the 4th Doctor who is the most loved in the franchise

It's not really like that though, because Bake is legitimately a very good show. It's more like I couldn't appreciate Bake until I saw the rest of the show. There are a lot of things that happen in Bake that I rewatched after having seen everything and was like whoa... that's why you said that. That's why you did that. It all just kind of fits. Monogatari doesn't do much hand-holding, so it's a lot more enjoyable after everything makes sense. Pretty much every scene becomes important, no exaggeration.

Bake went from a 7 to an 8 to a 10 over the course of my time watching the series lol
Mar 1, 2017 11:03 PM

Oct 2014
In terms of chronological order it is currently the earliest anime in the story, but unlike Naruto and One Piece that might never end but are always airing in a forward direction the monogatari series often airs backwards so watching chronologically is just going to confuse you when new ones air.

Wikipedia has the chronological order separated into the three seasons if you want to know how to watch it.
Mar 1, 2017 11:07 PM

Aug 2013
drgy55 said:
Ruffette said:

Besides that, Endtity follow this list and don't watch it in chronological order. There is a reason why not only shaft but the author on the novels didn't release this series in that order. Also, it isn't coincidence that the only user recommending following the chronological order is the one that haven't watched the series ;)

Yah, I get that complaint lol. It's a fair point, it's just that I originally saw Second Season before Nise the first time I watched (being very confused about the order myself) and I found it super enjoyable *shrug*

It was kind of interesting to see Kaiki from Koimonogatari before Kaiki from Nise because in Nise he's more of a 2-dimensional bad dude, where in Koi he's super grey.
No problem, I believe you since you are talking from your own experience. But personally, I greatly enjoyed "discovering" that that "2-dimensional bad dude" had a lot more to him than just being that, but without "betraying" completely the image we had about his character. I can't imagine seeing that in other order o_O
Mar 1, 2017 11:09 PM

Oct 2013
drgy55 said:
Deknijff said:
It's not really like that though, because Bake is legitimately a very good show. It's more like I couldn't appreciate Bake until I saw the rest of the show. There are a lot of things that happen in Bake that I rewatched after having seen everything and was like whoa... that's why you said that. That's why you did that. It all just kind of fits. Monogatari doesn't do much hand-holding, so it's a lot more enjoyable after everything makes sense. Pretty much every scene becomes important, no exaggeration.

Bake went from a 7 to an 8 to a 10 over the course of my time watching the series lol
well ok then
thanks for sharing your experience with me
Mar 1, 2017 11:11 PM

Jun 2015
Ruffette said:
drgy55 said:

No problem, I believe you since you are talking from your own experience. But personally, I greatly enjoyed "discovering" that that "2-dimensional bad dude" had a lot more to him than just being that, but without "betraying" completely the image we had about his character. I can't imagine seeing that in other order o_O

Hehe and I can't imagine the other way either now xD It was cool because it actually helped me understand the whole perspective change thing that goes on. Senjougahara has a history with Kaiki, so as a result of the duality of him helping her now and having caused issues for her in the past he's seen as a more grey character. But the kids in Nise and Araragi just see him as a con-man and a liar, so he's portrayed in that season as a straight-up evil guy. Kinda cool I think, he's one of my fav characters in the series.
Mar 1, 2017 11:18 PM

Aug 2013
drgy55 said:
Ruffette said:

Hehe and I can't imagine the other way either now xD It was cool because it actually helped me understand the whole perspective change thing that goes on. Senjougahara has a history with Kaiki, so as a result of the duality of him helping her now and having caused issues for her in the past he's seen as a more grey character. But the kids in Nise and Araragi just see him as a con-man and a liar, so he's portrayed in that season as a straight-up evil guy. Kinda cool I think, he's one of my fav characters in the series.
cool. Glad you enjoyed it and could made sense of it even though your peculiar way of watching it XD that's the most important thing, and that you continued watching the rest of the series :)
And yeah, personally, Kaiki it's my favorite male character from the series, his grey morality it's pretty cool as you said
Mar 1, 2017 11:56 PM

Feb 2016
Deknijff said:
for all I know chronological order is always the right answer

For all I know you do not know anything. Release order is always the right order because that is how the writer formed the storyline.
Mar 2, 2017 12:04 AM

Oct 2013
ahoyanen said:
Deknijff said:
for all I know chronological order is always the right answer
For all I know you do not know anything. Release order is always the right order because that is how the writer formed the storyline.
Rearranging what I said is pretty rude I must say
Mar 2, 2017 12:21 AM

Feb 2016
Deknijff said:
ahoyanen said:
Rearranging what I said is pretty rude I must say

If you had actually written the thing properly (used full stops, etc.) maybe it would not have confused me. Anyway, adding "for all I know" did not change the meaning of that sentence.
Mar 2, 2017 12:48 AM

Sep 2015
Okay, so I know at least 40 people who watched this series, and those who watched it in release order were more satisfied and enjoyed the show more than those who watched it in chronological order.
Respect the author and studio members that produced the show and watch it the way they wanted you to watch it, that is release order!
Mar 2, 2017 12:52 AM

Apr 2014
Either way is fine actually.
If you want a better understanding of what happened without having to think "what the hell are they talking about?" every time the character have a dialogue, then watch it in the chronological order.

If you want to do what everyone else do then watch it in the release order.
Mar 2, 2017 1:28 AM

Dec 2015
Release order is best here because the story wouldn't make sense if you watch chronologically. Also, don't skip on Nisemonogatari either because it introduces someone very important and you'll get to see the relationship between Araragi and his sisters. I know it's extremely fanservicy but it's still an important part.
Mar 2, 2017 3:44 AM

More topics from this board

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - 33 minutes ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» On my way to the depths.... (1)

monke_guy - 4 hours ago

0 by monke_guy »»
4 hours ago

» What manga do you think I'd like, based on my list?

misamxsa - Apr 10

6 by ColdBlackTeaFan »»
4 hours ago

» Ao Haru Ride Rant (Had to get this off my chest) Spoilers!

XGirl86 - 10 hours ago

0 by XGirl86 »»
10 hours ago

» Anime or manga with 'otaku ni yasashii gyaru' type character.

Thanatos1 - Apr 13

4 by DMind »»
Yesterday, 3:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.