Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 25, 2017 5:37 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Overall, a fun ride from start to finish. We got to see the results of Nonoko and Bell's training. The second half was very intense and even though there was a large amount of body count, everyone still did their job as destined.

Loved the soundtrack for this as well. I really hope this series gets a full TV anime someday or more episodes in the future.
Feb 25, 2017 8:26 AM

Jul 2008
Yeah, huge body count... whoah. Really intense finale.

And finally that guy who no-one could shoot died. lol

Feb 25, 2017 6:27 PM

Jan 2014
Lots of Buddhist undertones. Really made you think about the concept of "fate." Wtf was that plot armor though..? The dude literally walked into a crap load of bullets.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Feb 25, 2017 7:31 PM

Oct 2012
Wow I kept expecting Nonoko to die while on the the surface since the show bothered to show us her time. Well guess not then, smart tactic by Bell though, that's one way to kill someone with plot armor against bullets xD
A really fun ride all the way, I didn't know what to expect coming in to this but it completed exceeded my expectations and blew me away.

This is how you make an anime with a weird plot. Take notes everyone
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Feb 25, 2017 7:48 PM
Jan 2015
So is it safe to assume this is only 2 amazing episodes?
Feb 25, 2017 7:57 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
The only thing that bugged me was that that one dude had huge plot armor against any and all bullets, but thankfully his ass got rekt still

Great series overall despite the bitter sweet ending and I really hope that one day this can get the LWA treatment so that we can get more and even a continuation
Feb 25, 2017 10:05 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Many open questions left, such as whether Shibana broke out of her fate by abandoning her humanity.

Still did not explain why the main antagonist is so knowledgeable about dragons. Based on how he knew the bullets couldn't hit him I thought he might have been related to the dragons somehow in the past. So it was weird and disappointing when he was just killed off like that.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 25, 2017 10:52 PM

Dec 2014
Great conclusion to the series albeit the bittersweet ending.

Really intense second half, dead people everywhere. Overall the entire episode was really action-packed and thrilling as well.
Blanco the survivor had some annoying plot armor definitely, to be honest I thought he might have been a hybrid being/dentist like Shibana because of that plot armor and the fact that he knew so much about the dragon. xD

I suppose they couldn't deal with all the mysteries of the dragon since they had to conclude it this episode but nevertheless the story was still really satisfying.

The whole theme of fate was presented really well raising questions like 'Are we brought into the world for a purpose?' 'Is Destiny something that is predetermined or forged by ourselves?' The show did a good job or portraying people with different perspectives on the matter. In the end, It's always up to us the viewer to decide which philosophy is inclined with our beliefs. I for one, have always believed fate is not something that is predetermined.

The final monologue by Bell as he dies was really great because, despite being a person who cannot accept predetermined fate, he still wonders if he was brought back to life for a purpose and if he fulfilled it at the end. Him thinking about this as he was dying just fit in really well to the overall theme of the show.

The opening segment was pretty interesting and could have potential to be a new story.
8/10 , would love a full series.
Feb 25, 2017 11:29 PM

Jul 2013
The first episode was really great. Sadly I don't think this one was. The tons of people getting completely wrecked was kind of funny. And a bittersweet ending that did make it all worth it. I would easily have watched a 12 episode show.
Feb 26, 2017 3:16 AM

May 2013
It been a while I enjoying anime like this.
Thank you.
Feb 26, 2017 3:51 AM

Nov 2010
The anti-plot-armor strategy reminds me of the self-destruction mechanism devised in "From the New World". Since the mechanism of the armor wasn't explained and the plot failed to give audience eminent threat, everything looks like cheap trick.
Feb 26, 2017 5:09 AM

Jun 2014
I went into this expecting literally nothing and I have to say I'm impressed. These are the kinds of OVA's I want to see. Excellent artstyle, character designs. Fascinating concept, stunning visuals and animation. Top tier voice actors and voice acting. Beatiful backgrounds, a lot of mystery. The OST was pretty amazing as well.

Damn, 9/10
:3
Feb 26, 2017 5:24 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Not sure what was up with the antagonist, felt like he knew a shit ton but that wasn't explained. It doesn't bother me that much, but just wanted to throw that out there.

Bell died at the end, i certainly didn't expect this. We also don't know how he was chosen, i guess that is up for interpretation.

Brilliant, brilliant visuals though and really fucked up. Definitely hella enjoyed this ride.

8/10
Feb 26, 2017 5:38 AM

May 2009
Don't you think that kiss was kinda hentaish?

Feb 26, 2017 6:07 AM

Jun 2015
bastek66 said:
Don't you think that kiss was kinda hentaish?

but then she was kissing the picture, just like me and my waifu

jk

this episode was lotsa different from last one that showed more about the dentist's life, but ayy, nice battle and animation
if only it were 12 episodes
Feb 26, 2017 10:43 AM

Dec 2015
1. I knew watching the episode I would read plot armor everywhere on this page, looks like I was right. It is such a beloved thing around here.
2. Very glad they went with this format (by the way, this wasn't an OAV, an OAV is an Animation Originally made for the Video market). The theme was well treated without the characteristic repetitions of a TV series based on a concept.

+ Good conclusion who finished developing the theme.
+ Same pleasant attention toward action, not detrimental to the rest.

- What was the idea with this opening scene??
- What was the idea with this opening scene??
- Did they try to excite the lust for more episodes by showing

- Did the 3DCGI became suddenly too important and visible?
- Hecatomb under a red sky after a mutant female awakened a monster gathering the souls of human beings (joking).

Enjoyment: 5/5

Overall: a great story around fate/death with an intriguing world/concept, well-made, usually decent 3DCGI. Great seiyû.

Score: 8/10 (so many 8 given today, I am going soft)
Rei_IIIAug 11, 2019 2:21 AM
Feb 26, 2017 11:37 AM

Dec 2014
If Shibane knew that any cavity mushi can be parasite to human and remain humanity, why don't she just distribute them to enemies... What a plot hole
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Feb 26, 2017 1:13 PM

Sep 2013
The modern aspect with the plane and war was nice.
Mr. immune to bullets scenes was funny but Bell sacrifices himself to kill him :'(

The dragon has a barrier which can be by passed by carrying a tooth and the wisdom tooth is what's used to make contracts.
Mushi going out of control thanks Shibane going deep into the dragon's teeth soul domain.

It ends with a possible sequel bait, Shibane still alive and a dentist and Bell possibly revived.

Tokoya said:
The only thing that bugged me was that that one dude had huge plot armor against any and all bullets, but thankfully his ass got rekt still

Notice his gun that he stole from Bell when he killed him has the dentist mark so that's why he was invincible, he had bell's death immunity.
The mark was also still on the gun at the end so bell may be alive or revived (the blond black guy looks like bell so he might have revived as him).
Feb 26, 2017 2:53 PM

Aug 2015
A splendid episode. ^_^
I didn't expect such a violent end, I almost believed that the end of the world would come. Bell has a more prominent role than in the first episode especially at the end when he takes charge of arresting the commander (?). I'm sad for him but as he says, Bell belongs to a cycle and ultimately he has come back where he comes from.
Nonoko was very courageous as usual and in the end she went beyond the understanding.
I understood better Shibana's actions [and her love for Takemoto] and I like this character although in the end she doesn't give up to find Takemoto.
The only complaint I can make is the antagonist I find a little simple and his motivations aren't explained.
The animation of the series was excellent.

5/5
Feb 26, 2017 3:30 PM

Aug 2016
Great episode and enjoyed it to the fullest!

It was a great finale for the anime and did not leave you (or at least me) with any bitter feelings. though i do wonder what happens next but i think thats where the manga kicks in.

That plot armor Blanco had was actually really funny and i felt it was kinda like the animators way of showing that plot armor is something you dont need in an anime.

all and all great episode and great anime indeed!

5/5
Feb 26, 2017 3:41 PM

May 2015
It was fun trip.

7/10 for me. I wish to see this show as 12-24 TV show.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 26, 2017 3:51 PM

Sep 2015
it was decent the first part was pretty good, but there was a major dip in almost everything during the second part.
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Feb 26, 2017 4:53 PM

May 2015
Goodness, I didn't expect such an intense finale. These two specials were honestly a treat to watch and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I'd definitely watch a TV series if there would be one, without a doubt.

9/10.

Feb 26, 2017 6:38 PM

Aug 2013
Did you notice? One of the guys spared by the dragon will be the one killing Nonoko.

AnnickFeb 26, 2017 6:55 PM
My Candies:

Bonus candies:
Feb 26, 2017 10:17 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
ichii_1 said:
Mr. immune to bullets scenes was funny but Bell sacrifices himself to kill him :'(

The dragon has a barrier which can be by passed by carrying a tooth and the wisdom tooth is what's used to make contracts.
Mushi going out of control thanks Shibane going deep into the dragon's teeth soul domain.

It ends with a possible sequel bait, Shibane still alive and a dentist and Bell possibly revived.

Tokoya said:

Notice his gun that he stole from Bell when he killed him has the dentist mark so that's why he was invincible, he had bell's death immunity.
The mark was also still on the gun at the end so bell may be alive or revived (the blond black guy looks like bell so he might have revived as him).
I didn't notice that at all...Great find man
Feb 27, 2017 1:43 AM

Jan 2016
They better start working on Eva now. Anyway I hope Bell lives
Feb 27, 2017 2:05 AM

Sep 2015
forexjammer said:

They started months ago
Feb 27, 2017 8:11 PM

Jan 2015
Those "bandits", whoever they call themselves finally get pass through the Invisible Wall. Time to take down the dragon, even when it's not once and for all.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Feb 27, 2017 10:19 PM

Jun 2013
...Whoa buddy O_O
Feb 27, 2017 10:43 PM

Dec 2016
That was really good to watch.

The music/soundtrack was also really good. Very sad and beautiful.
Feb 28, 2017 5:07 AM

Jan 2016
ClaudioLai2000 said:
forexjammer said:

They started months ago

Yeah, 'months' ago
Mar 2, 2017 8:56 AM

Dec 2015
So I thought this was a pretty good movie (I know it's not a movie but it has a 90 minute run time so I'm calling it a movie)

I really enjoyed the world building and discovering the rules of this universe. How the dragons work, how the people live with the dragons and the conflict between nations. They gave us just enough info without boring us to death with endless exposition.
And of course I have to mention the animation which was at times jaw dropping. I love seeing colossal things smashing into the ground in movies.
Mar 3, 2017 2:21 AM

Jul 2016
This was far better than I thought it would be.
Mar 3, 2017 4:32 PM

May 2012
Who was that woman at the beginning in the airplane? Was that supposed to be a flashforward?
Mar 3, 2017 8:36 PM

Jan 2011
I loved it but felt Nonoko should die in the end. I don't think we need a TV series. Not saying that because it's bad but moreso I feel like it is complete as it is.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Mar 4, 2017 11:56 PM

Aug 2014
This was fantastic. An interesting setting followed up by likable characters and lots of exciting events in a pretty straightforward plot, yet with enough unique aspects to make the story it's own, plus well stylized animation/music. What a watch!
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Mar 5, 2017 2:30 PM

Feb 2014
Can someone explain to me why Bel's story about the horse was important? It made no sense to me.
Mar 7, 2017 1:37 AM

May 2010
Wow... Some plotholes aside, I really liked it. It was just so fresh and beautifully executed, many good characters plus room for a continuation (I think they were aiming for one) Nonoko is a fun main character. I don't understand all the Kanne love (most favorited here on MAL), she didn't have that many scenes, let alone epic scenes. I can see her becoming a key character later on tho, possibly through Shibana.

And I think the other blond guy will be the new protagonist of the possible sequel along with Nonoko. It could be Bell's reincarnation (they look too similar anyway) Really hyped.

So far, it's been a 9/10 for me.
TragicRomanceMar 7, 2017 1:41 AM
Mar 9, 2017 5:55 AM

Apr 2016
Quite impressive.
Nonoko, Shibana, Satou, Shuuzo make a great team.

It could have been a 10/10 if not for the shit shounen male lead and the bulletproof villain. At least they died : happy ending!
Ysad_ZiwezhanMar 9, 2017 6:12 AM
Mar 11, 2017 8:28 PM

Dec 2008
Bell. NO!! I did not want Bell to die. I was sure this movie was going to be about the ability to change fate. I guess that's why Bell told Nonoko that he couldn't be a Dragon Dentist. He saw his time.

It's not fair that Shibana gets to fly away free while Bell goes back into the tooth. Well, I guess the dragon's tooth didn't want Shibana because it spit her back out.
Mar 19, 2017 4:15 AM

Oct 2014
the plot armor is real with this one. nothing special 6/10
Mar 19, 2017 7:16 PM
Sep 2016
I really found this anime refreshing. It had a very interesting premise on which to build its story. It did a very good job at making the viewer think that one thing was going to happen with its foreshadowing, when in actuality something entirely different happened. Overall this is one of the best anime I've seen in awhile and I hope to find my gems like it!
Mar 21, 2017 8:17 PM
Oct 2013
ichii_1 said:

Tokoya said:

o i also thought, if u looked close their was no bullets in the gun and the gun didnt have a hammer at the back of it it wouldnt of shot even tho he would of pulled the trigger with bullets
Mar 22, 2017 1:31 AM
Jun 2014
This was an amazing experience to have watch such an excellent piece of work. Im really happy that I got to see nonoko and bell's friendship blossom as it did. Even though the ending was a tad bit sad it gives us a good picture of the circle of life. People come and go and that's okay. I'm really hoping for a full length series so that we may get a more in depth look of this world.
Mar 26, 2017 5:42 AM

Jul 2013
I dreaded that the second episode of this two-part special would be a trainwreck since Ryuu no Haisha' page here in MAL is cluttered with bad reviews but thankfully I was proven wrong and and yet again I found another reason to never to trust reviews in MAL.

Watching this show was definitely a fun ride. The premise is interesting and it was complemented by great worldbuilding. They explained how the dragons work and how the humans were able to forge a pact with the dragons perfectly without resorting to long expositions which would have ruined my immersion with this considering the length of this anime. All the facts and information about their world are just so interesting and oozes with originality. As they say, originality isn't always a good thing but thankfully, it worked out great this time. The transition from smaller events happening inside the dragon's mouth and how those events eventually built up to an intense climax and into a large scale tragedy was really well done.

The characters might have suffered a little since the show shifted its focus but it didn't really affect me that much since the overall result was satisfactory to me. There was still some form of character development from Bell albeit it was just simple or average. Nonoka remains as a brave girl who's unfazed by her fate and is determined to perform her duties as a Dragon Dentist. Shibana is probably my favorite character in the show. She does not want to believe in her fate and thinks that their tradition is absurd, which I agree with, and ultimately stray from the path of her profession but despite her betrayal, she still has her humanity intact. and her feelings towards the Dragon Dentists didn't change just because their views oppose each other.

My complaints about this anime would be that they never bothered to show us the villain's background. Why does he know so much about the dragons? Just who the fuck is he? What is his motivation in doing all those things? They simply just killed him off without explaining those to us. Even though I liked how he died since it showed us Bell's growth as a character but I can't deny how much plot armor he has. He's definitely not called Blanco the Survivor for nothing but I wouldn't lie as to say that it didn't annoy the fuck out of me. How Shibana became a mushi wasn't also explain as far as I remember. The Dragon Priests didn't have a clear role in the story and they still didn't explain how those soldiers who were residing on top of the dragon got in there in the first place. Despite it all, I'd still say this was worth 7/10. Truly a wonderful anime.

Shibana's still alive and is still determined to pursue her goals and the boy who was supposed to kill Nonoka in her "time" also survived so it might be a sequel bait. Personally, I love the anime as it is but I wouldn't mind a continuation to the story.
Apr 5, 2017 4:42 PM

Jun 2013
An interesting series. But it seems like this is not the conclusion. If so then I hope they make a full fledged series to explain certain points in more detail. I think Bell's fate is left to the viewers to decide. But man his speech at the end was pretty deep.
7/10
May 13, 2017 8:53 AM

Jul 2015
A nice closure from Ryuu no Haisha, even thou it ended open. Bell's narrative/monologue near the end is pretty deep. Glad Blanco gets rekt in the end. Still Bell's fate is unknown.

A really good piece of work indeed. Animation is stunning and the worldbuilding is really good for a 90 minutes special. All in all, I give it solid 8/10.
May 27, 2017 1:50 PM

Jul 2014
really enjoyed it. hope there is a chance for more, that would be great!

coming soon
Jun 23, 2017 2:26 PM

Oct 2010
I think I heard a Michael Nyman influence in the music during the mass genocide scene. Compare for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHiJkLmclkA

Jul 30, 2017 2:27 PM

Apr 2014
at least that guy died ^
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ryuu no Haisha Episode 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2017

48 by deg »»
Jan 13, 2023 6:37 AM

» Bad guy theory

itaisinger - Aug 24, 2021

0 by itaisinger »»
Aug 24, 2021 9:15 AM

» For geniuses

WithinReach - Apr 7, 2018

1 by Nexu »»
Apr 8, 2018 11:32 AM

» chances of a full length seies?

NG_Chloe - Feb 27, 2017

4 by NG_Chloe »»
Mar 4, 2017 2:51 PM

» The Dragon Dentist! - Clean dem teeth.

PrOxAnto - Dec 16, 2016

13 by Nurhan_Farraj »»
Feb 27, 2017 2:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.