Forum Settings
Forums

which old anime would you like to watch with new animation quality and why?

New
Feb 22, 2017 5:19 AM

Nov 2016
for me it would be yu yu hakusho i really love the plot of the anime but its the anime quality that really made me drop it cause the fight scens were getting boring for me and i really wanted to watch it but the animation really didnt click for me so i stopped mid way.

edit:for everyone i dont hate or dislike old animation or show.the shows are great as they are and in this thread i just mean which old show you would like to watch with new animation.
xxXHARSHXxxFeb 22, 2017 8:14 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 22, 2017 5:24 AM

Feb 2010
Animation quality has nothing to do with age, it would only end up having a more modern artstyle and I prefer the cel animation one if I have to pick. So none. Give me BD remasters instead and I'm happy.

Old shows already exist and if you can't watch them because of prejuduice, frankly, that's your issue. I don't want to deal with remakes instead of getting new anime just because people are unable to appreciate something because it's old and think it's 'bad animation'. Each generation should have its shows.
AlcoholicideFeb 22, 2017 5:28 AM
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 22, 2017 5:28 AM

Oct 2014
Yh what Pullman said, just a Remaster would be enough then.

If a remake comes then It has to be different from the old one like adding material and not just only looking prettier.
Feb 22, 2017 5:38 AM

Nov 2016
Pullman said:
Animation quality has nothing to do with age, it would only end up having a more modern artstyle and I prefer the cel animation one if I have to pick. So none. Give me BD remasters instead and I'm happy.

Old shows already exist and if you can't watch them because of prejuduice, frankly, that's your issue. I don't want to deal with remakes instead of getting new anime just because people are unable to appreciate something because it's old and think it's 'bad animation'. Each generation should have its shows.

i never said i didnt appreciated and i watched many old anime to and loved them and since watching city hunter i got used to old animation and for yu yu hakusho i loved the show it had my faviroute plot of touranament and i watched it till 50 episodes but than the fights were getting boring for me, i just said i would like to watch it with newer animation quality.
what do you mean prejudice or not appreciate and i never said its old so its bad animation.
xxXHARSHXxxFeb 22, 2017 8:22 AM
Feb 22, 2017 5:44 AM

Aug 2013
never ever George Lucas any old anime.

As for the topic, as long as i can get 720p quality of any old anime is fine for me.
Cant believe we could stand old SD quality in the past, look blurry on modern digital monitor.
Nah, i dont think sharing anime ratings in signature is cool thing.

Here, stare at this pointless signature instead.
Feb 22, 2017 5:44 AM

Feb 2013
akira
the old animation quality is chit i want it done by madhose

iwansquall said:

As for the topic, as long as i can get 720p quality of any old anime is fine for me.
Cant believe we could stand old SD quality in the past, look blurry on modern digital monitor.
>not watching retro anime on crt
Feb 22, 2017 5:52 AM

Oct 2014
romagia said:
akira

iwansquall said:

Or maybe by Production IG?
Plus the movie was an incomplete adaptation so new Material should be added.

Same goes for Soul eater, Soul eater needs a brotherhood.

And Shaman king could benefit from a readaptation that will also continue from where the manga left of.
Feb 22, 2017 6:03 AM

Feb 2016
romagia said:
akira

iwansquall said:

I agree that the animation is shit but its understandable cause its from the 80s and they had very slow computers back then and it shouldnt be remade by Madhouse but KyoAni

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Feb 22, 2017 6:04 AM

Apr 2013
Beck, the music was great, but the animation was meh... plus the anime only covered like 1/3 of the manga
Feb 22, 2017 6:06 AM

Apr 2013
romagia said:
akira

the 80s art and animation is what made the movie work

plus it's a classic, no one should touch the classics, remakes of them will never be done justice
Feb 22, 2017 6:08 AM

Jun 2015
Higurashi bro, Higurashi wold look hella good in new art.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Feb 22, 2017 6:11 AM

Jan 2016
Gundam 0079 - a remake can bring new anime fans to watch a great mecha anime, even for his time the animation of the original Gundam is not that great.

Space Pirate Captain Harlock and Galaxy Express 999 - the same of Gundam 0079, maybe new fans will watch more Matsumoto Leiji anime. Also i need more space operas even if they are remake.
Johnnyd3rpFeb 22, 2017 6:20 AM
Feb 22, 2017 6:16 AM

Jun 2015
Pullman said:

I dunno, some shows actually benefit modernization. New knowledge of the universe helped the new Uchuu Senkan Yamato anime in the technical aspect (though granted that both versions are mostly different plotwise).
Feb 22, 2017 6:22 AM

Sep 2012
Takamura-sama said:
Higurashi bro, Higurashi wold look hella good in new art.

You just want that moe while they are killing people. Right?

I don't think any anime needs a remake or remaster. Well there is a exception for that. CGI shows. For example I really want to see Kingdom with proper animation.
Feb 22, 2017 6:28 AM

Nov 2015
I want to see C.O.P.S remade and updated with pseudo 3d camera pans and anime 2.0 hair shading
Feb 22, 2017 6:28 AM

Apr 2011
I dislike remakes already, because I prefer cel shading and hand drawn anime over today's digitalized, depthless and recycled designs that you witness in almost every modern anime. I find anime from the seventies, eighties and early nineties to be a lot more pleasing on the eye than the stark pictures you see now, that appeals to both art and animation.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Feb 22, 2017 6:38 AM

Oct 2013
Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z

I know we have kai but its just a Remaster with fillers cut out n better voice acting. Still.the same show

Dragon Ball as a whole is awesome and I don't think it really needs another adaption but I have wondered what it would be like if it got one with all the new technology at hand and was animated by studios like Madhouse, Production IG or maybe Bones. Just imagine it done right, it would be so fkn amazing! Not like the disgusting DB Super. Thats actually worse than DBZ LOL.

Like just being able to see all the characters in full motion with the quality of say....One Punch Man or Atrack On Titan, shit would be jaw dropping!

Another anime is Berserk. 1997 anime is fine but 2016 anime is ultra balls! Horrible CGI, horrible pacing n editing, TONS of content skipped. Its horrible man. Madhouse would have done it justice and It would have been cool if they did it from the start, including things that never made it to the original anime.

Gantz is another one. The anime looks like shit to me, Love the manga but that anime man LOL. I think it was Madhouse too lol Would be great seeing it on the same level as One Punch Man.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Feb 22, 2017 6:46 AM

Nov 2016
Pullman said:

daAmazinFatB0y said:
Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z

I know we have kai but its just a Remaster with fillers cut out n better voice acting. Still.the same show

Dragon Ball as a whole is awesome and I don't think it really needs another adaption but I have wondered what it would be like if it got one with all the new technology at hand and was animated by studios like Madhouse, Production IG or maybe Bones. Just imagine it done right, it would be so fkn amazing! Not like the disgusting DB Super. Thats actually worse than DBZ LOL.

Like just being able to see all the characters in full motion with the quality of say....One Punch Man or Atrack On Titan, shit would be jaw dropping!

Another anime is Berserk. 1997 anime is fine but 2016 anime is ultra balls! Horrible CGI, horrible pacing n editing, TONS of content skipped. Its horrible man. Madhouse would have done it justice and It would have been cool if they did it from the start, including things that never made it to the original anime.

Gantz is another one. The anime looks like shit to me, Love the manga but that anime man LOL. I think it was Madhouse too lol Would be great seeing it on the same level as One Punch Man.

this i what i meant when i made this thread an old show which is great but you wonder how it would look with modern animation and i would love to watch i dont mean they are bad i just mean i bet they would be even great with modern animation.
and yup i would love to see old dbz fights like against frezza and cell and majin buu etc what they would look if they were made now by madhouse.
Feb 22, 2017 6:46 AM

Sep 2009
There are a lot of older anime I'd like to watch with better animation quality. I'm not to keen on the changes to art style over the ages.
Check out the gradual nose reduction:

1988 --> 1997 --> 2007 --> 2017 (Yeah, that's a dot)
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Feb 22, 2017 6:50 AM

Nov 2016
MortalMelancholy said:
There are a lot of older anime I'd like to watch with better animation quality. I'm not to keen on the changes to art style over the ages.

that last pic i thought there was something on my screen XD but a dot for a nose i watched the anime but i didnt notice it till now damm.
Feb 22, 2017 6:59 AM

Feb 2013
@MortalMelancholy
>his waifu still has at least one pixel of nose

Feb 22, 2017 7:01 AM

Sep 2009
romagia said:
@MortalMelancholy
>his waifu still has at least one pixel of nose

In another 10 years, anime characters won't have noses.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Feb 22, 2017 7:03 AM

Jun 2012
Devilman so I can get a shitty gore anime modernized.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 22, 2017 7:06 AM

Oct 2014
Pullman said:

That is what I would consider a flawless response. Well done.
Feb 22, 2017 7:15 AM

Nov 2016
RedInfinity said:
Pullman said:

but i never said i didnt appreciate it or its bad animation or i dislike anime with old animation i just meant yu yu hakushu would be even better with new animation.animation quality does affect me but i get used to it and if its great ill watch i watched many old shows like city hunter,files of young kindachi,doremon,shinchan ,hagemaru,ninja hattori perman etc.it just that during middle of the show the fights were getting a bit boring for me so i wondered what it would like if it was made by madhouse and looked like opm.
Feb 22, 2017 7:21 AM

Oct 2014
xxXHARSHXxx said:
RedInfinity said:

but i never said i didnt appreciate it or i dislike anime with old animation i just meant yu yu hakushu would be even better with new animation.animation quality does affect me but i get used to it and if its great ill watch i watched many old shows like city hunter,files of young kindachi,doremon,shinchan ,hagemaru,ninja hattori perman etc.it just that during middle of the show the fights were getting a bit boring for me so i wondered what it would like if it was made by madhouse and looked like opm.

Well, first of all, it would not look like opm. Period. There is no possible way for a remake of any show as lengthy as those you mentioned to contain an art style such as that in any consistent manner. Furthermore, Yu Yu Hakusho (from the few scenes I have seen) has pretty incredible animation. A lot of talent was utilised correctly to produce a classic of a show. So why would we need a remake of Hakusho? This is not the case of HxH where there a clear cut in source material being adapted, as far as I am aware of.
Anyways, I think the industry should focus on producing new, fresh adaptations rather than stick to those from the past. But that's just my thinking.
Feb 22, 2017 7:24 AM

Jul 2015
RG Veda, the first long series done by CLAMP. It only got a short and crappy OVA back in the day, which did no justice to all the beautiful character designs. I remember the original manga being quite a mess story-wise (and Ashura was really annoying), but I still think that an old-school fantasy adventure could be a refreshing change to all the isekai and romcoms of today.

Oh and Umineko no Naku Koro ni too, even though it's not that old.
Feb 22, 2017 7:29 AM

Nov 2016
RedInfinity said:
xxXHARSHXxx said:

but i never said i didnt appreciate it or i dislike anime with old animation i just meant yu yu hakushu would be even better with new animation.animation quality does affect me but i get used to it and if its great ill watch i watched many old shows like city hunter,files of young kindachi,doremon,shinchan ,hagemaru,ninja hattori perman etc.it just that during middle of the show the fights were getting a bit boring for me so i wondered what it would like if it was made by madhouse and looked like opm.

Well, first of all, it would not look like opm. Period. There is no possible way for a remake of any show as lengthy as those you mentioned to contain an art style such as that in any consistent manner. Furthermore, Yu Yu Hakusho (from the few scenes I have seen) has pretty incredible animation. A lot of talent was utilised correctly to produce a classic of a show. So why would we need a remake of Hakusho? This is not the case of HxH where there a clear cut in source material being adapted, as far as I am aware of.
Anyways, I think the industry should focus on producing new, fresh adaptations rather than stick to those from the past. But that's just my thinking.

you see i never said we need a remake i said i would like one and thats the title of the post.its like its me wondering what it would look like and its me saying like i sure wish i could see it with new animation.
xxXHARSHXxxFeb 22, 2017 7:48 AM
Feb 22, 2017 7:31 AM

Jan 2017
Yu Yu Hakusho.
I know its from the 90s but the fighting choreography is horrible and I feel like that even DBZ had much better animation. It might get the same reputation as HxH
when it gets a remake and I might pick it up again.
Feb 22, 2017 7:33 AM

Nov 2016
It would definitely have to be Fist of the North Star, tried watching it but I just couldn't. I'm not a fan of the astethic of anything pre-1990.
Feb 22, 2017 7:41 AM

Jan 2017
Yu Yu Hakusho or Trigun, maybe Rurouni Kenshin. All 3 of those are great as is but I would just be interested to see how they would look with modern day animation, would also give me an excuse to watch them again :P
Feb 22, 2017 7:58 AM

May 2016
Berserk. Especially the Golden Age Arc. The 1997 anime is great and the movies are fine but if it actually got a proper adaption it would be amazing (I know the chances are practically zero but still).
Feb 22, 2017 8:03 AM

Jul 2015
Pullman said:

Nailed it. I agree with Pullman. Just because of the animation, and you can't watch it then don't watch the old anime and you will missed so many masterpieces.

For example, Monster. The animation and the art is the best for that work.

The anime that I want a remake is the anime that use original story and it's bad while the source material is so damn good.
But for me, the era where the animation is really good is 2000 - 2010
WhyZigleFeb 22, 2017 8:09 AM
Feb 22, 2017 8:10 AM

Nov 2016
willsygle said:
Pullman said:

Nailed it. I agree with Pullman. Just because of the animation, and you can't watch it then don't watch the old anime and you will missed so many masterpieces.

The anime that I want a remake is the anime that use original story and it's bad while the source material is so damn good.
But for me, the era where the animation is really good is 2000 - 2010

as i said before and now i dont hate old animation or old show i just dropped yu yu hakusho mid way cause the fights were getting boring and i wondered what it would look like now.
i love old anime ever since i watched city hunter and stopped caring about animation.
Feb 22, 2017 8:28 AM

Feb 2013
stop hating old animaton please, xxXHARSH-kun
Feb 22, 2017 8:31 AM

Nov 2016
romagia said:
stop hating old animaton please, xxXHARSH-kun

but i dont hate it when did i say i hate it :(
i love old shows too and i am used to the animation.
Feb 22, 2017 8:48 AM

Feb 2010
xxXHARSHXxx said:
Pullman said:

i never said i didnt appreciated and i watched many old anime to and loved them and since watching city hunter i got used to old animation and for yu yu hakusho i loved the show it had my faviroute plot of touranament and i watched it till 50 episodes but than the fights were getting boring for me, i just said i would like to watch it with newer animation quality.
what do you mean prejudice or not appreciate and i never said its old so its bad animation.

Well, I've seen Yu Yu Hakusho and the animation isn't even bad, it just looks old because it's pre 2000 and done with cel animation, but in terms of animation it is perfectly fine. It wouldn't really be better animated today most likely (long-runners seldom are) it would just have all the modern visuals and filters that people use to trick the viewers into believing the animation is better, when it's really just the presentation of the artwork that got more fancy with technology. If you got bored you got bored, but animation quality isn't really related to that. If you were really interested in the characters and stuff you wouldn't become bored that easily even if the animation was bad (which it isn't).

In general your post did sound very much like you were shitting on old animation and implying that it would automatically look better if it was done today, even if it wasn't your intention. Otherwise you wouldn't have to emphasize 'new animation quality' as if the quality somehow changes solely because it's new or old. Animation quality depends on budget, time, skill and passion much more than age. Yu Yu Hakusho doesn't look worse than Dragon Ball Super, for example. Arguably it's the other way round in at least a bunch of episodes.
It just bothers me when people mean improving the animation quality but all they mention is making it look 'new' as if that would make everything better. Those two are not the same things. I didn't mean to react as harshly, but I've been fighting against these misconceptions for years now and don't have all of my patience left.
Brb said:
Pullman said:

I dunno, some shows actually benefit modernization. New knowledge of the universe helped the new Uchuu Senkan Yamato anime in the technical aspect (though granted that both versions are mostly different plotwise).

First of all I'm not saying it's a bad thing per se, just that I'd rather see resources poured into new series than a rehash of something I already know. But if you want to compare it to Yamato, there's much more room for modernization and improvement when remaking original anime compared to remaking an anime that hasn't published anything new since the last anime adaption. I wouldn't want the remake to not follow the manga, but I also don't need it to adapt literally the same things again when there's no new material. Remakes of original series have more freedom in changing the original because they don't have to work as an adaption.
Remakes of adaptions are only warranted if there new material to adapt in my opinion. Which again doesn't mean that I'd not watch and enjoy a remake of YYH (I also loved DB Kai) but I just don't find it necessary and would rather see that budget go into, idk, a new season of World Trigger to name another, recent WSJ series that hasn't gotten all its material adapted. YYH is already a very good watching experience so I just don't see the point. There's already enough rehashing as it is, I'd always prefer more original and new stuff over remakes, be it Hollywood movies or anime.
AlcoholicideFeb 22, 2017 8:58 AM
Feb 22, 2017 8:53 AM
Jul 2018
I'd just love to see a remake of the first two seasons of Digimon. *-*
Feb 22, 2017 8:54 AM

Apr 2016
romagia said:
akira

Akira has shit animation? You're kidding, right? That movie was way ahead of its time, and even now, the Blu ray edition on a good HDTV looks absolutely incredible.

And as far as the topic goes, I wish they made Rebuild as a remaster of Evangelion, especially since the original's gone out of print and I don't really like the direction Rebuild went in.
AmphyyFeb 22, 2017 9:04 AM
Feb 22, 2017 9:40 AM

May 2015
Yeah, they should re-release every anime each year with newer and boosted animation.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 22, 2017 9:47 AM

Feb 2010
baphometh said:
romagia said:
akira

Akira has shit animation? You're kidding, right? That movie was way ahead of its time, and even now, the Blu ray edition on a good HDTV looks absolutely incredible.

And as far as the topic goes, I wish they made Rebuild as a remaster of Evangelion, especially since the original's gone out of print and I don't really like the direction Rebuild went in.

But the original TV Series has already been remastered if that's what you mean.
Feb 22, 2017 9:50 AM
Jul 2018
If we're talking about a remake, a new adaptation of Hokuto no Ken done by North Star productions as a faithful adaptation of the manga would be good. If we're talking about purely updating the animation on some frames, all that's required is an HD/Blu-Ray re-release.
Feb 22, 2017 9:53 AM

Apr 2016
Pullman said:

But the original TV Series has already been remastered if that's what you mean.

Yes, you're right it has been remastered, I meant how the first Rebuild movie remade the first 6 episodes with modern animation, I really liked that. So that was my mistake.
Feb 22, 2017 10:01 AM

Feb 2016
I would love to see Shoujo Kakumei Utena with a new modern animation quality.This anime looks actually good but I want to know how would it look today.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Feb 22, 2017 10:03 AM

Jul 2013
MortalMelancholy said:

While I agree that noses have generally gotten smaller. I still hate cherry picking since it can be done both ways.

Feb 22, 2017 10:11 AM
Feb 2017
Pretty much every older show (I consider anything that's been around for 10+ years older) I'm shallow when it comes to anime, so if it doesn't look good I have a hard time watching it. Which pretty much means I haven't seen much pre 2000.
If I had to name names of shows I have seen I'd say Dragon Ball (1986,) Black Lagoon(2006,) and Great Teacher Onizuka (1999)
Feb 22, 2017 10:36 AM

Dec 2010
Claymore, to get that sweet complete story.
Feb 22, 2017 10:49 AM

Feb 2016
A-S-U-K-A said:
romagia said:
akira

the 80s art and animation is what made the movie work

plus it's a classic, no one should touch the classics, remakes of them will never be done justice

I think a remake of NGE and EoE would be also really nice. Especially the last episodes, they were poorly animated cause of lack of money and showed some random pictures without meaning instead.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Feb 22, 2017 11:28 AM

Dec 2016
Well i personally don't care for animation quality, but i really want to see death note in hd
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Feb 22, 2017 11:40 AM

Aug 2013
Rurouni Kenshin and Tekkaman Blade with new animation would be nice to see. The new art and animation used in the Rurouni Kenshin new Kyoto arc ova looked okay too bad that the ova completely rushed the arc and was inferior to the 90's anime series. A properly done modern anime remake of Rurouni Kenshin that also adapts the Jinchuu arc would be interesting.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

20 by tchitchouan »»
1 minute ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 4 hours ago

7 by tchitchouan »»
5 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

17 by tchitchouan »»
6 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

36 by funtime43_tr »»
11 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

99 by watsym »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.