Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 11, 2017 6:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
They are adapting chapters 34-36 this time. Looks like Rei is wondering about how his father and Kyoko's path became so separated.

Kyoko's intimidation continues on Rei after she meets the girls.

Hinata has a bad impression of Kyoko, nothing too surprising considering how Kyoko acted. Really nice to see how much personality they expressed this episode.
Stark700Feb 11, 2017 9:52 AM
Feb 11, 2017 9:50 AM

Dec 2014
Good episode.

Loved the beginning with Nikaidou showing his conviction to become the best.

Rei meets his father again, family issues with Kyouko haven't gotten any better I guess.
Damn, that subtle Souya smile when he got on the stage gave me chills.

The sisters finally met Rei again, kinda sad that their reunion after so long ended so abruptly. Looks like all three of them don't like Kyouko, Momo calling her a witch made me laugh. xD
Really liked the part with Hina giving Rei the meal they prepared, sadly he never got to eat it. :(
Kyouko is just broken I guess, she herself doesn't know what to do.

Kind of a heartwarming ending with Nikaidou finally catching upto Kiriyama and the workshop gang playing Shogi.
Feb 11, 2017 10:41 AM

Aug 2016
I'm really glad Kyouko met Rei's "new family." Her jealousy shows when she starts asking Rei if it's the new family he's going to mess up. Some may not agree with my choice, but I find Kyouko very interesting and enjoy it whenever there's a scene with her.

Momo is definitely going to have nightmares about the witch.

This entire episode was awesome!
Feb 11, 2017 10:56 AM

Dec 2014
well a little more focus in rei's personal life... It was funny interaction between the sisters and his adoptive sister
Feb 11, 2017 11:47 AM

Apr 2016
We saw

Angry Kyouko,
Bully Kyouko,
Witch Kyouko,
Shameless spoiled brat Kyouko,
Difficult daughter Kyouko,
and finally self-aware, unhappy, weak, pitiful sister Kyouko,
all in one package, all in one episode.
Again that's great writing and I wonder in which direction it goes.

and Hina best girl!
Ysad_ZiwezhanFeb 11, 2017 12:45 PM
Feb 11, 2017 12:18 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
What a difference. The last time when Kyouko and Rei met at his apartment was awkward to the core.

Now we see them having a normal conversation, they felt like real siblings to me.

That scene with her clinging to Rei was heavy. I loved that, especially the scenery afterwards with the blue. Ever since Rei understood what she is going through, he wants to help her.

Best scene was obviously Hina running back to Rei to remind him that they are there for him whenever. Almost brought me to tears with the soundtrack, too.
Feb 11, 2017 12:25 PM

Oct 2013
Good episode. Nikaidou's conviction to reach the top of the shogi world, Hina's running back to give Rei the food, Momo's reaction to Kyouko, and Kyouko's typical behavior were the highlights for me.
Feb 11, 2017 12:33 PM

May 2015
Guys, we need more girls, less witch. ;D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 11, 2017 12:39 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode.

LOL Rei & Kyouko getting into an argument & the Kawamoto Sisters are there. That's awkward.

So sweet of Hina to give Rei the bento.
What the hell Kyouko eating all the food. That is just rude.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Feb 11, 2017 12:42 PM

Apr 2016
Kyouko is just a full package of everything. Like i still don't feel sorry for her. Nothing can say that its the Dads fault
Feb 11, 2017 12:45 PM

Mar 2016
Jaxcson said:
I'm really glad Kyouko met Rei's "new family." Her jealousy shows when she starts asking Rei if it's the new family he's going to mess up. Some may not agree with my choice, but I find Kyouko very interesting and enjoy it whenever there's a scene with her.

Momo is definitely going to have nightmares about the witch.

This entire episode was awesome!
I have to say i completely agree with you my friend. As for my self, im still very conflicted on whether or not i like Kyouko, but i do enjoy seeing the scenes she is in.
Feb 11, 2017 2:11 PM

Oct 2012
I didn't like the comedy in the first part, it always feels like they're just destroying the mood.

But the part with Kyouko was good and her encounter with sisters was great (it's great contrast when Rei is not his usual shy-self when he's talking with her). Still, it feels like they are moving nowhere as siblings as those little steps are way too tiny to be considered a progress.

And the ending part went to needless comedy again although it didn't lasted long.. still we have way too many rivals right now, kinda useless if you ask me. And did he failed his attendance requirements afterall, having to repeat the year again? Well, I should probably say that was obvious from the start.
Feb 11, 2017 2:14 PM

May 2010
Akari-san is the ara ara type lol
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 11, 2017 2:17 PM

Apr 2014
Anime isnt supposed to end anywhere. If you are looking for some conclusive arc and resolve you are watching the wrong anime. 3 Gatsu never strived to have an overarching plot. Its meant to illustrates a young adults life and coming of age.

Needless comedy is like expecting your life to be 1 tone throughout the day. Comedy and tragedy hits us hard and outta nowhere. I never got this tonal shift argument. It makes sense in Hellsing where it is a certain genre piece having strong shifts from serious to comedy. However, in terms of sol it is very natural. We need to learn when we should use certain anime criticism.

Series was never meant to just be Rei and 3 sisters living a happy life. Its meant to show the entire world that Rei faces every day and how he reacts to those days.
Feb 11, 2017 2:28 PM

Sep 2015
Lololol "don't tell me it's the kindergartener"
Feb 11, 2017 2:31 PM
Feb 2017
Mich666 said:

And did he failed his attendance requirements afterall, having to repeat the year again? Well, I should probably say that was obvious from the start.

No, he passed. After graduating middle school, he have focused on shogi and did not go directly into high school. However after 1 year, he enrolled into high school again in order to the have the memory of "not running away". Remember his conversation with Takahashi in episode 7? So he is only 1 year behind.
Feb 11, 2017 2:39 PM

Jun 2015
Rei meeting his father was nice. The sisters got to meet Rei again, but their reunion got interrupted by Kyouko. None of them like her and Momo calling her a witch was funny. Hina giving Rei the lunchbox was nice, but he didn't eat any because Kyouko ate it all. She's such a broken person, she doesn't know what to do. Congrats to Nikaidou for catching up to Rei.
Feb 11, 2017 3:06 PM

Oct 2012
altctrlshift said:
No, he passed. After graduating middle school, he have focused on shogi and did not go directly into high school. However after 1 year, he enrolled into high school again in order to the have the memory of "not running away". Remember his conversation with Takahashi in episode 7? So he is only 1 year behind.

Ok, thanks for clarification. I had originally thought that but the ending sentence kinda confused me.
Feb 11, 2017 3:50 PM

May 2009
Hina the MVP of this episode :]
Feb 11, 2017 4:34 PM

Apr 2010
I was waiting for this meeting to happen eventually, and it delivered the goods alright.. hope to get more of this new interaction, though I just hope Kyouko doesn't mess up the sister's lives or I'm going full hate on her!!
Feb 11, 2017 5:19 PM

May 2015
I'm not sure why, but the interaction with Kyouko this time was rather nice to watch. I hope to see more of that to be honest.

Feb 11, 2017 5:44 PM

Oct 2013
Stunning episode. Kyouko's development is getting better and better. At least she admits that she totally doesn't know what she's doing with her life.

altctrlshift said:
No, he passed.

Thanks for the clarification.
Feb 11, 2017 5:54 PM

Jan 2012
Oho! So Kyouko finally met the sisters, I'd been wondering if we'd ever get that. Momo and Hina had pretty awesome reactions too. XD Deny it all you want Rei, but my shipper heart still pairs you with Hina. XD So Kyouko...daddy cuttin' you off? Well that's his right I suppose, ask Gotou to support you and see how that goes. XD I still think Shimada's gonna get trampled by silver-haired Rei.
Feb 11, 2017 5:54 PM

Jun 2011
Kyouko is what puts this show over the top for me. The way her interactions with Rei bring out other sides of both of them is the most organic character development I've seen in an anime in a long time. Bringing the sisters into the mix just made the whole thing a lot more interesting as well.

5/5 for this episode. Waiting to see what's going to happen with the Title Match. Shimada's line about winning two games just so he could play in his hometown was pretty heavy as well.
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Feb 11, 2017 6:14 PM
Jul 2015
I can't believe this will end in 5 episodes :'(
Feb 11, 2017 6:37 PM
Jan 2016
Don't know why, but I really love this anime hahaha. I really love each character fron 3-gatsu no Lion. And I really enjoy it from the first episode until now, the 17th.

Although, Kyouko's personality isn't too good, but I still like her as one of 3-gatsu no Lion character haha
Feb 11, 2017 6:57 PM

Jul 2014
I liked the change in setting in the first part of the episode.
Feb 11, 2017 7:08 PM

Oct 2015
This episode felt way too short. Hina's slowly falling in love :o
Feb 11, 2017 9:05 PM

Oct 2016
I really thought Kyouko will somehow seduce Rei in this episode (it was hinted that something did happen to them when they were younger) and she will become a better person lol.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Feb 11, 2017 9:05 PM

Jan 2013
Fantastic episode, some tense confrontations.
Feb 11, 2017 9:12 PM

Nov 2011
Kyouko is trying to get sympathy? Fuck that man. She kept digging her own grave and now she needs to sleep in it. Momo Calling her a witch was hilarious.
Akari agreeing with Hina about not linking Kyouko was pretty funny as well.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Feb 11, 2017 9:22 PM

Jun 2013
nice development for Kyouko
Feb 11, 2017 9:50 PM

Sep 2014
I honestly don't know who is more of an MVP this episode. Momo for calling Kyouko a witch, one letter different and momo being a teen we could've probably got Bitch instead, or Hinata for showing up Kyouko.

I just really hate her. Like the show keeps trying to make me feel for her, but it never works out. Not only did she insult Rei's shogi, but also told him he was going to "ruin" another family. Then she steals his food all care free and a few minutes later tries to get sympathy from me? Witch please.
Feb 11, 2017 10:23 PM
Dec 2015
I think what a lot of people miss is that Rei and Kyouko have a really dysfunctional relationship. I feel Kyouko is kind of Tsundere but also a straight up psychopath.

I was waiting for this moment to happen because I read the manga. She really REALLY doesn't like Kyouko. I find it cute she felt jealous and had to declare her territory to the other female.
I'm not just a Tsundere, I am THE Tsundere.
Feb 11, 2017 10:37 PM

Mar 2008
"She's a Witch." That made my day. LMAO
Feb 12, 2017 1:20 AM

Jul 2014
It was interesting to see Rei's two "families" meet each other for the first time, and the effect it had on Kyouko was interesting but unsurprising. Rei was clearly more shaken by it though, and along with Kyouko's comments I can really understand why. Also nice to see Hina kinda stand up to Kyouko despite clearly being afraid of her. That aside, Shouya seems a very unusual character from what we saw in this episode, and I can't help but see some of Rei in there; could that end up being what he becomes if he continues on his current path?
Feb 12, 2017 4:41 AM

Mar 2016
Loved this week's episode :D

This show is just sooo good. Loved every episode so far ^^
I really want to see Souyo play. He seemed really intimidating when he smiled there on the stage.
Momo being scared as hell and calling Kyouko a witch made my day hahah. It was pretty cool that we got to see a new side to Kyouko this episode. Doesn't make me hate her as it did when she was first introduced. They actually got to talk like real siblings for once. That scene where she hugged Rei from behind really got to me. A powerful and sad scene that :(
I found that part where she started eating the food which Hina gave to be quite funny xD That scene where Hina ran back to Rei to give him the food was pretty nice as well. Hina's awesome ^^
Nikaido finally catches up with Rei. Love his conviction :D
RyunuosukeFeb 12, 2017 4:46 AM

Feb 12, 2017 6:03 AM
Nov 2015
aa this was so great <3
hina's getting a little jealous haha
Feb 12, 2017 10:37 AM

Feb 2014
So many sides of Kyouko in this episode. Her father made the right choice in cutting off her credit card, but it was a bit of a low blow for Kyouko to taunt Rei about the Kawamoto sisters when they encountered each other.

Momo calling Kyouko a witch was funny, but Hina stole the scene for me. With her frustrations boiling over, she backtracked, gave the food to Rei and gave Kyouko a good glare. Jealous Hina is VERY adorable! =3

Still, later that night, Kyouko was finally admitted she wasn't sure what to do next, so hopefully this will be her turning point to get herself back in the right direction. Cutting ties with Gotou and having a proper adult talk with her father would be a perfect start for her.

For Shimada, he's already lost the first of a seven-match series, but it's nice to hear him say that he wants to win two games just so he can play in his hometown. I believe his chances of winning the Lion King tournament of low, but I do hope he gets to play in his hometown though. =)

Nikaidou has finally caught up to Rei's level, so those two should face off against each other soon. As for Rei, he was just able to pass his first year of high school, so he'll be in his 2nd year, but one year older than the rest of the students.

Great episode overall. =)
Feb 12, 2017 11:28 AM

Jul 2014
idk why, but i really love if it comes for Kyouko's scenes, and somehow looks like Hina maybe develops some feelings towards Rei.....

Really like arguments scene between Rei and Kyouko...
Feb 12, 2017 12:39 PM

Aug 2010
Happy to see the sisters this episode. Feels like it's been forever. The show just isn't just the same without them.

Kyoko once again... a character that gives so many mixed feelings. Can't tell if I like or hate her but I definitely love it when she shows up on screen.
Feb 12, 2017 12:55 PM
Jun 2012
Kyouko... I just can't find it in me to feel sympathy for her. This bullish spoiled persona with a sob story as an excuse makes me see red.

Also, Momo saw right through her! A witch indeed. Let her close and you'll be forever at fault for everything.
Feb 12, 2017 1:50 PM

Feb 2015
A wonderful episode!

The sisters getting defensive over Rei was so cute to see. Momo even assumed Kyouko was a witch haha. Kyouko is such a complicated character. It's brilliant writing but, I really can't bring myself to like her.

We saw more of the infamous white-haired shogi champion, he seems quite similar to Rei, so unfulfilled, so mysterious... I really want to know more about him!

As ever, can't wait to see where the story goes next...
Feb 12, 2017 2:08 PM

Jul 2015
Crocospect22 said:
idk why, but i really love if it comes for Kyouko's scenes, and somehow looks like Hina maybe develops some feelings towards Rei.....

Really like arguments scene between Rei and Kyouko...

thats because both characters are interesting and the relationship even more. you never know what will happen next.
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Feb 12, 2017 8:37 PM

Mar 2015
I love how the best episodes generally have Kyouko in them.
Feb 13, 2017 5:19 AM

Sep 2015
Another great episode, in this series really impressive second half. Though I'm sure there's still more story to tell, and conflict to resolve I can't believe we're already at the Lion King Tournament. I like how Shimada keeps referring to his opponents as monsters. It's pretty amusing, and I look forward to his match with this latest monster. Soya seems a little broad right now. Just the whole "Devil" expression speech was kind of over the top. But I'm sure he'll become more grounded and interesting the more we learn about him. Also the first time we meet him in this episode, I made the same mistake I did in the OP of assuming he was supposed to be like a vision of Rei's future. Maybe he still is they look pretty similar.

This episode had a wide assortment of character development as it slowly ambles towards the big match. First and foremost this was a really strong episode for Nikaidou's character. I liked Rei questioning if Nikaidou was actually more mature than him. And his giddiness at the end that he'd finally caught up to Rei's rank was so sweet. Their friendship has grown so much in a short amount of time. We also saw Rei meeting with his adoptive father for one of the first times in present day of the series. I like Koda a lot honestly. Given this shows penchant for melodrama he could have easily been an abusive irredeemable monster. But instead he's just a guy who tried his best and is trying to figure out how his kids ended up so fucked in the head.

Speaking of which much of this episode actually featured Rei interacting with the women in his life. Kyoko confronts him for having "snitched on her" when her credit card is shut off. I have a lot of sympathy for Kyoko. She just has Daddy issues that's all. But I'm also trying to figure out if the series WANTS us to be sympathetic to Kyoko. As it seems to criticize her often for her toxicity and inability to grow as a person. Still her and Rei were kind of nice together in this episode. I really liked the part where he was just watching her face be lit up by her phone screen from across the dark room.

Rei also finally interacted with the Kawamoto sisters again. Momo showing up out of nowhere and being terrified of Kyoko was so funny and cute. I have to say though one thing bothered me about this scene. More than how Rei failed to make things less awkward again. Hina is furious at Rei because he didn't even look at them when they first showed up, and he didn't say anything when she gave him the sushi. But while far be it from me to defend Rei for his cowardice. He did in fact do both of those things. Very strange, unless they were trying to say his bare minimum effort wasn't good enough.
Feb 13, 2017 5:46 AM

Feb 2016
Finally more Kyouko :)
I hope he goes for the housewife tho, not the younger ones
SubscriberSun said:

Rei also finally interacted with the Kawamoto sisters again. Momo showing up out of nowhere and being terrified of Kyoko was so funny and cute. I have to say though one thing bothered me about this scene. More than how Rei failed to make things less awkward again. Hina is furious at Rei because he didn't even look at them when they first showed up, and he didn't say anything when she gave him the sushi. But while far be it from me to defend Rei for his cowardice. He did in fact do both of those things. Very strange, unless they were trying to say his bare minimum effort wasn't good enough.

I also realized that but I think they showed his thoughts and in reality he didnt say anything.
SpaghettiSpikeFeb 13, 2017 5:50 AM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Feb 13, 2017 11:42 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I love whenever Kyoko shows up. She's such a complex character, that brings out so many interesting aspects to the show. It's interesting to see how she just got a tiny bit jealous of Rei having that relationship with the sisters. It's not a romantic, passionate kind of jealousy, just her wish for him to be as lonely and messed up as she is.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 13, 2017 12:41 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
The main focus for this episode was the match between Shimada and Souya the champion with the side focus being Kyouko. A seven match showdown though seems to be hard but it looks like he only needs to win twice.

With the latter Kyouko is still being as unreasonable as ever not to mention horrible But Rei's confrontation with her was a long time coming after all.
Its interesting to note that Hina seems to have something for Rei though even though she already has a crush of his own. Perhaps she seems him as a close friend i guess. Hina was pretty brave in this episode though standing up to the pressure of Kyouko. For a middle school student thats even more impressive.

This episode reinforced the previous episode in establishing that Rei is not alone in life and that he has plenty of friends to support him including Hina and Akari. Hina's reaction after with regards to Kyouko was funny. Still it was funny watching Kyouko be kinda normal again after Rei made his case. To think that Kyouko would mistake Hina and Akari's family though. Though Akari can be a housewife Hina definitely can't be her daughter lol

Its funny seeing Rei get dragged into the family troubles of Kyouko though
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2017 2:24 PM

Mar 2016
I'm really curious where Kyoko will be left by the end of show in regards to her familial and romantic relationships and I wonder if the lack of development in this episode, particularly where Kiriyama describing the night/aftermath w/ Kyoko, is to indicate things won't necessarily change or work out for her.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

90 by little_raven »»
Apr 8, 8:54 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Nov 19, 2016

111 by little_raven »»
Mar 26, 11:11 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2017

104 by blinddig »»
Mar 13, 2:15 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

160 by TraeKun »»
Feb 18, 8:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.