Forum Settings
Forums

Crunchyroll Adds English Dub of 'Gintama°'

New
Feb 3, 2017 2:28 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Crunchyroll announced their English dub of Gintama° on Wednesday. Episodes 266 to 278 are currently available for streaming worldwide, excluding Asia. Additional dubbed episodes will be released every Wednesday in February.

Cast
Gintoki Sakata: Michael Daingerfield
Shinpachi Shimura: Cole Howard
Kagura: Jocelyne Loewen
Tae Shimura: Janyse Jaud
Kotaro Katsura: Matt Ellis
Toshiro Hijikata: Michael Adamthwaite
Sogo Okita: Vincent Tong
Isao Kondo: Jason Simpson
Sagaru Yamazaki: Adrian Petriw
Tsukuyo: Marlie Collins
Tatsuma Sakamoto: Andrew Francis
Tama: Chantal Strand
Yagyu Kyubei: Advah Soudak

Gintama° aired in Spring 2015 for 51 episodes and was streamed by Crunchyroll. The company announced in July 2016 that it would release select titles in Blu-ray and DVD with English dub, including Gintama. The fourth season of the series premiered in January, and is currently being simulcast by Crunchyroll.

Source: Crunchyroll

News tip submitted by exodvs
VindstotSep 4, 2023 7:54 PM

Feb 3, 2017 2:37 PM

Dec 2015
Good luck to the cast, they'll need it.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 3, 2017 2:45 PM

Mar 2014
Dear Crunchytroll,

Yours sincerely,
Comic_Sans
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 3, 2017 2:46 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Watched a bit of it and its mediocre. Some characters sound okay (especially Shinpachi), but some sound pretty bad, like Gintoki and Kagura. I guess the quality of the dub really depends on how the jokes will translate well to English and I haven't seen much to judge that... but I doubt it will be done well. Gintama really depends on its satirical and parodical jokes and voice acting, and replacing those two doesn't sound like a good idea.
Feb 3, 2017 2:46 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I don't even want to imagine how many parodies and references will be lost in translation for this...
Feb 3, 2017 2:53 PM

Sep 2015
Eh.. I tried the first dubbed ep and the voices weren't so bad but....
Nobody else can really be Gintoki other than Tomokazu Sugita
And yeah, all the cool jokes will probably be lost in translation. :/
Feb 3, 2017 3:06 PM

Apr 2015
The Gintoki in live-action movie already sounds weird enough.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 3, 2017 3:10 PM

Feb 2012
So they dubbing the show from 4th season? Does Gintama have dubs for older seasons at all?

Feb 3, 2017 3:40 PM

Jun 2014
How exactly would this even work? A shitload of Gintama's jokes are deeply rooted in Japanese culture so that's why I never thought in a million years Gintama would ever get a dub. I still haven't reached this season but I might check out a bit of this out of morbid curiosity to see how the comedy translates. I'm assuming most of it will just be lost in translation though....
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Feb 3, 2017 3:48 PM

Feb 2010
thebrentinator24 said:
How exactly would this even work? A shitload of Gintama's jokes are deeply rooted in Japanese culture so that's why I never thought in a million years Gintama would ever get a dub. I still haven't reached this season but I might check out a bit of this out of morbid curiosity to see how the comedy translates. I'm assuming most of it will just be lost in translation though....
Exactly what I thought. The nuance, puns, even the parodies would most likely not work in English
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Feb 3, 2017 4:25 PM

Apr 2016
I had a bad feeling about this, and i was right, now i can't unhear those horrible voices especially kagura's, are they dumb to dub a serie such as gintama, it has the best voice acting of all time and its jokes are related heavily to japanese culture, they will not be the same in a language other than japanese, plus you can't ignore that terrible pronounciation of proper names, this is such a nightmare, don't watch it if you hate dub, it will only make you cringe
Feb 3, 2017 5:54 PM

Mar 2016
Come on guys, don't be so harsh. Yes, a lot of the more nuanced/language-based jokes will fall flat, but that goes for a lot of comedy dubs. Look at Azumanga Daioh for instance.

It's nice to have a dub option. It doesn't replace the subs. I know a few people who will watch Gintama now because there's a dub option; but for purists and long-term fans, the sub is right there beside it.

The only real-world effect the dubbing will have, is making the series more popular in the West. That's a win in my book.

EDIT: Also, yes I've sampled the dub (it's serviceable imo), just like I watched the Benizakura movie a second time dubbed. I'll be sticking with the subs for sure - but again, having the dub option is nice.
Feb 3, 2017 6:55 PM
Jul 2018
Gintama had a local dub broadcast on national television in our country. Pretty good I should say since the language counterpart of jokes come across... most of the time, but the JP ver is still better. I wonder how /English/ plays this out. Interesting.
Feb 3, 2017 10:44 PM

Jan 2016
I've watched a few episodes and I'm loving it too bad they didn't dub season 1 or 2 yet if they do though I'm gonna make sure to buy all of the seasons on DVD.

(like I do with all the anime's I like)

:)

All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
Feb 4, 2017 3:45 AM

Jan 2013
I actually like all of the Yorozuya's VAs haha especially Gintoki. Everyone else is hit or miss though. Lacking but not terrible, better than the movie dub.
Feb 4, 2017 4:03 AM
Mar 2011
raegazel said:
Come on guys, don't be so harsh. Yes, a lot of the more nuanced/language-based jokes will fall flat, but that goes for a lot of comedy dubs. Look at Azumanga Daioh for instance.

It's nice to have a dub option. It doesn't replace the subs. I know a few people who will watch Gintama now because there's a dub option; but for purists and long-term fans, the sub is right there beside it.

The only real-world effect the dubbing will have, is making the series more popular in the West. That's a win in my book.

EDIT: Also, yes I've sampled the dub (it's serviceable imo), just like I watched the Benizakura movie a second time dubbed. I'll be sticking with the subs for sure - but again, having the dub option is nice.

its goign ot be shin chan mark 2 overall
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 4, 2017 4:20 AM

May 2012
LOL who is this for exactly? The normies who cant read subs? I dont think normies care about Gintama anyway, or even know what it is.
Feb 4, 2017 8:58 AM

Jan 2016
who_dat_ninja said:
LOL who is this for exactly? The normies who cant read subs? I dont think normies care about Gintama anyway, or even know what it is.

I've been waiting since I started watch anime (2013) for it to get dubbed sadly I can't watch subs (mental issues) so I'm pretty hyped myself.

(sorry for butting in and sorry if I sound rude I hope I'm not.)

All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
Feb 4, 2017 9:00 AM
Jan 2017
Will they dub season 1 of Gintama?
Feb 4, 2017 12:51 PM

May 2015
Who thought this was a good idea? Gintama is one of those series that will NEVER work in English.

Feb 4, 2017 2:24 PM

Apr 2016
Brb, dying. Sakamoto is a certified surfer dude now.

Sometimes you just gotta realize that you can't watch every
anime you want to. The struggle is far too real for that.
Feb 4, 2017 2:39 PM
Aug 2016
well I watched half of the first episode, and I think it makes me cringe.
Feb 4, 2017 4:56 PM

Jul 2015
I've watched about 4 episodes and I thought it was fine. It won't replace the Japanese cast, sure, and some jokes are definitely odd in English... but I enjoyed what I watched.
"Your guilt will be your past, and that will be your God."
Feb 4, 2017 7:19 PM

Jan 2016
Nakurawari said:
I've watched about 4 episodes and I thought it was fine. It won't replace the Japanese cast, sure, and some jokes are definitely odd in English... but I enjoyed what I watched.

Glad to hear that ^^ (sorry for butting in and hopefully I'm not sounding rude sorry if I do)

Feb 5, 2017 2:08 AM

May 2012
animefan0071 said:
who_dat_ninja said:

I've been waiting since I started watch anime (2013) for it to get dubbed sadly I can't watch subs (mental issues) so I'm pretty hyped myself.

You're not rude at all.
Feb 5, 2017 7:32 AM

Jan 2016
who_dat_ninja said:
animefan0071 said:

You're not rude at all.

Ok thanks ^^ I'm always nervous I'm going to offend someone (although I guess it's the internet so theirs really no escaping that at somepoint or another lol)

Feb 5, 2017 10:50 AM

Jan 2015
But why? I mean, I dropped Gintama a while ago but I thought Gintama was one of the anime (like Bakemonogatari and Lovely Complex) that would never get dubbed.

But whatever. I'm not going to make a big deal about it since no one is forcing me to watch it dubbed. So yeah, good luck to the cast.
Feb 5, 2017 12:26 PM

Dec 2015
Isn't Crunchyroll supposed to not have english audio anymore? (I read that the concept of their partnership with Funimation was to specialize each of them in subtitled or dubbed animation)

@DatRandomDude Thank you.
Rei_IIIFeb 5, 2017 9:05 PM
Feb 5, 2017 7:06 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Rei366 said:
Isn't Crunchyroll supposed to not have english audio anymore? (I read that the concept of their partnership with Funimation was to specialize each of them in subtitled or dubbed animation)
It's suposed to be that but since Gintama has been licensed by crunchyroll themselves, they can have the dubs for it on crunchyroll i think. In this case, i think FUNimation is just going to distribute the BDs/DVDs of it
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

More topics from this board

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

15 by RobertBobert »»
Today, 1:39 AM

» 'Fruits Basket' Creator Launches New Manga

Hyperion_PS - Sep 2, 2023

20 by KeyboardBunny »»
Yesterday, 8:04 AM

» 'Kijin Gentoushou' Reveals Main Cast, Staff, Teaser Promo, Summer 2024 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Feb 22

6 by JackAward »»
Apr 13, 1:07 PM

» Voice Actress Mutsumi Tamura Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - Apr 1

15 by CrackedYolk »»
Apr 12, 10:50 PM

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/10]

Snow - Apr 5

23 by infanf »»
Apr 12, 2:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.