Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jan 29, 2017 3:22 AM
Jul 2018
I don't really trust reviews a lot of times here when I pick a show but, I do read some when I watched the show to get the viewpoints from other people (and well I write them too even tho I tend to repeat myself a lot, besides I like giving my two cents).
Jan 29, 2017 4:36 AM
Apr 2013
I continue to think the new rating system is bad because it privileges reviews that were written ages ago so you don't get any variety and there's no incentive for people to write good reviews because they'll never get the hundreds of likes they need to be seen.
Jan 30, 2017 1:15 AM

May 2015
Zapredon said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Why do you think so?

They could've written off all literature is just some ink on paper.

Because it just cartoon.I don't remember literature reviewer are seen as intellectual.

The masses aren't good judges of who's an intellectual - they watch TV and the news and think rigthwing/leftwing is serious business.

But what makes anime so different than literature?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 30, 2017 1:17 AM

Jan 2015
Why would I waste time reading them?
Jan 30, 2017 2:00 AM

Aug 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
Zapredon said:

Because it just cartoon.I don't remember literature reviewer are seen as intellectual.

The masses aren't good judges of who's an intellectual - they watch TV and the news and think rigthwing/leftwing is serious business.

And what make you think you know better how to judge others as intellectual. Do you really understand what it actually mean? At this point it become a buzzword.

You expect anime where you have things like cute girl doing cute things,a grown up girls acting like a kid,wish fulfillment,ecchi, things like that to become equal as literature. Do keep in mind most of the literature you learn in school are classic literature. They are taught because classic literature is like part of culture history of a nation. England=Shakespeare,China=Romance of Three Kingdom,Japan=The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter etc
ZapredonJan 30, 2017 2:04 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jan 30, 2017 2:03 AM

Jun 2016
well, sometimes I care.
I want know some fewdetails about the anime I want to watch ^^

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Jan 31, 2017 12:44 AM

May 2015
Zapredon said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

And what make you think you know better how to judge others as intellectual. Do you really understand what it actually mean? At this point it become a buzzword.

You expect anime where you have things like cute girl doing cute things,a grown up girls acting like a kid,wish fulfillment,ecchi, things like that to become equal as literature. Do keep in mind most of the literature you learn in school are classic literature. They are taught because classic literature is like part of culture history of a nation. England=Shakespeare,China=Romance of Three Kingdom,Japan=The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter etc

I don't see any argument here why anime can't be intellectual except for rhetorical questions. They are rhetorical devices, try harder.
Jan 31, 2017 2:58 AM

Aug 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
Zapredon said:

I don't see any argument here why anime can't be intellectual except for rhetorical questions. They are rhetorical devices, try harder.

Cute girls doing cute things, more, ecchi, you call that intellectual?Anime are also mostly for teenagers. I'm afraid to say no one will think anime as intellectual.

Burden of proof lies upon claimant. If you want to claim anime as intellectual, you need to provide argument. And I'm still waiting for you to give answer what your definition of intellectual here. Try harder. Stop playing with the buzzword 'intellectual' here.

The only reason why you think analyse anime is intellectual is only because you are here in internet and people come up with stupid idea in internet. IRL however, let just say you are in job interview and you tell the boss that you are intellectual person because you analyse anime, you will become laughing stock and you will be the first person to get kick out of his list.

The problem here is not the mass but rather, anime as a medium itself, does not make you intellectual. Wake up to reality.
ZapredonJan 31, 2017 5:24 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jan 31, 2017 7:27 PM

Jan 2014
~laughs.. No
Never did cared, just a waste of time.
Probably because all they do is just point out flaws or perfections in anime, really nothing more about it, plus it's only theirs opinion so why should i care what they have to say.
in my opinion reviewing option can just disappear entirely for all i care
Jan 31, 2017 11:58 PM

May 2015
Zapredon said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Cute girls doing cute things, more, ecchi, you call that intellectual?Anime are also mostly for teenagers. I'm afraid to say no one will think anime as intellectual.

Burden of proof lies upon claimant. If you want to claim anime as intellectual, you need to provide argument. And I'm still waiting for you to give answer what your definition of intellectual here. Try harder. Stop playing with the buzzword 'intellectual' here.

The only reason why you think analyse anime is intellectual is only because you are here in internet and people come up with stupid idea in internet. IRL however, let just say you are in job interview and you tell the boss that you are intellectual person because you analyse anime, you will become laughing stock and you will be the first person to get kick out of his list.

The problem here is not the mass but rather, anime as a medium itself, does not make you intellectual. Wake up to reality.

You pointed out 2 genres. You did not discuss the medium. You did not even discuss these genres.

If you want an example of how to intellectually view anime, just look at any of my reviews where I analyze them

Bosses don't care about intellectualism but obediance. The academia is where critiquing anime will be of interest, and based on what I learn in media studies they'll anime just as seriously.
Feb 1, 2017 12:09 AM

Jan 2017
When I review I try my best to not have spoilers. Its my practice for writing really, and I'm on a path to improve. Of course I'd be bias, certain things spark my mind more brightly and I tend to gravitate favor for those frequencies. If anyone has critique for my reviews, I'd like to know too.

I think this thread is targeted toward reviews that tend to suggest towards or refer away potential viewers away from shows, manga, movies, or whatever else. I tend to only view others' reviews in any medium no matter if it is MAL, IMDb, and Gamespot after I experience the content of the subject. I'd like to think that people who find my reviews helpful are either:
A. Who've watched it and agree with fully/partially with my review
B. People who are on the fence about watching it and my broad non-synoptic analyses help them make a decision.

I wish for someday users of MAL to look forward to my reviews and if they do I will 100% do my best to never disappoint them.
Feb 1, 2017 3:33 AM

Aug 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
Zapredon said:

You pointed out 2 genres. You did not discuss the medium. You did not even discuss these genres.

If you want an example of how to intellectually view anime, just look at any of my reviews where I analyze them

Bosses don't care about intellectualism but obediance. The academia is where critiquing anime will be of interest, and based on what I learn in media studies they'll anime just as seriously.

Who are these academia you talking about. Sorry you still need to define what does intellectual mean. What makes you think your review are intellectual while others are not. I don't see any argument from you that you know what intellectual is. It just a buzzword when you use credit and feel better about yourself. Bosses care about intellectualism and intelligence but not when it comes to anime because intellectualism are non existence in anime just like how intelligence are non existence in anime. It just cartoon or entertainment.

And remember, reviewer are certainly not intellect. Maybe we can argue if author like Shakespeare or creator like Miyazaki are intellectual or not but when it comes to reviewer or critic, they are certainly not intellectual or intelligent. All they did is judging other people's work without create any contribution or achievement of their own. You can't call that kind of people intellectual. There is nothing wrong to review,judge or criticize anime but when you call yourself intellectual, then that become ridiculous joke.

It's really time to you to wake up to reality instead of shamelessly self praise yourself as intellectual.
ZapredonFeb 1, 2017 5:02 AM

Feb 1, 2017 4:37 AM

Jun 2011
I agree with the first post. I find myself reading more reviews between the rating of 4-6, because you almost always know what to expect from reviewers who gave a series a rating of 1 or 10.

I don't go to review to look for series to watch anymore, more than often they aren't very helpful because they cater more to the people who have actually watched the series than those who haven't. It's basically a post with a "I agree" button. It's even worse now after they've removed the "Disagree" option.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 1, 2017 8:44 AM

Apr 2013
I don't think I've ever read a genuinely good review on MAL. 75% of them say absolutely nothing, 20% of them the reviewers are so up their own asses they only spout tunnel-visioned shit, and the last 5% are troll reviews, which I would argue are the only worthwhile ones on this site. You and your "reviewing colleagues" are dipshits lol.
Feb 2, 2017 12:48 AM

May 2015
Zapredon said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Who are these academia you talking about. Sorry you still need to define what does intellectual mean. What makes you think your review are intellectual while others are not. I don't see any argument from you that you know what intellectual is. It just a buzzword when you use credit and feel better about yourself. Bosses care about intellectualism and intelligence but not when it comes to anime because intellectualism are non existence in anime just like how intelligence are non existence in anime. It just cartoon or entertainment.

And remember, reviewer are certainly not intellect. Maybe we can argue if author like Shakespeare or creator like Miyazaki are intellectual or not but when it comes to reviewer or critic, they are certainly not intellectual or intelligent. All they did is judging other people's work without create any contribution or achievement of their own. You can't call that kind of people intellectual. There is nothing wrong to review,judge or criticize anime but when you call yourself intellectual, then that become ridiculous joke.

It's really time to you to wake up to reality instead of shamelessly self praise yourself as intellectual.

An intellectual is someone who's interested and invested in the pursuit of knowledge and wisdom. They put a lot of effort into learning and applying what they learn to other fields. At best, their whole life becomes their learning process.

For example, I don't watch anime just for fun, but I seek to learn about anime and through it about other things. I analyze anime and make connections to other things. It's definitely an intellectual pursuit.
Feb 2, 2017 12:56 AM

Aug 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
Zapredon said:

An intellectual is someone who's interested and invested in the pursuit of knowledge and wisdom. They put a lot of effort into learning and applying what they learn to other fields. At best, their whole life becomes their learning process.

For example, I don't watch anime just for fun, but I seek to learn about anime and through it about other things. I analyze anime and make connections to other things. It's definitely an intellectual pursuit.

There's knowledge and wisdom in anime? I don't think so. And what did you apply what you learn from anime IRL? If reviewer can be intellectual,then it's not that hard to be intellectual as everyone can become one of them to the point that it's no special occasion or meaning in being intellectual. Anime is no scholarly or academic pursuit.

Did you know that there are Harry Potter and Star Trek degree/courses offered? Just replace it with anime and it will be seen as equally ridiculous.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10607390/Beyonce-studies-anyone-8-other-ridiculous-university-courses.html
http://www.toptenz.net/to-10-useless-college-classes-degrees.php
Not just anime but neither analyse Star Trek nor Harry Potter makes you intellect.
ZapredonFeb 3, 2017 1:28 AM

Feb 3, 2017 9:41 AM

May 2015
Zapredon said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

There's knowledge and wisdom in anime? I don't think so. And what did you apply what you learn from anime IRL? If reviewer can be intellectual,then it's not that hard to be intellectual as everyone can become one of them to the point that it's no special occasion or meaning in being intellectual. Anime is no scholarly or academic pursuit.

Did you know that there are Harry Potter and Star Trek degree/courses offered? Just replace it with anime and it will be seen as equally ridiculous.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10607390/Beyonce-studies-anyone-8-other-ridiculous-university-courses.html
Not just anime but neither analyse Star Trek nor Harry Potter makes you intellect.

Again, I refer you to any of my reviews where I do an analysis - especially my reviews for Digimon Tamers, Paranoia Agent and Future Diary where I've gone deep. All you said thus far is that 'huh, cartoons'.
Feb 3, 2017 11:16 AM

Aug 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
Zapredon said:

Again, I refer you to any of my reviews where I do an analysis - especially my reviews for Digimon Tamers, Paranoia Agent and Future Diary where I've gone deep. All you said thus far is that 'huh, cartoons'.

Again,you didn't explain why your review are intellect while others aren't. I read some your review. Nothing intellect from your review really. All I see is that you shamelessly self proclaim yourself as intellect. No argument from you at all. Oh, being philosophical, deep message or adding moral value etc into your anime review certainly don't make you intellect. No,I don't just say this apply to cartoons. It also apply to movie like Harry Potter and Star Trek. You judge other people work without create any achievement or work on your own. That is what review is.

An intellectual is a person who engages in critical thinking, research, and reflection about the reality of society, and proposes solutions for the normative problems of society, and thus he or she gains authority as a public intellectual.[1][2] Coming from the world of culture, either as a creator or as a mediator, the intellectual participates in politics, either to defend a concrete proposition or to denounce an injustice, usually by producing or by extending an ideology, and by defending a system of values.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual

Your review don't suggest you are anything like that. Maybe you want to consider joining politic first to become acknowledge as intellectual instead of being deep about anime.

-EDIT-
Some other things I would like to add. When you mentioned philosophy,morality or reflection about reality of society(as define in the quote I given) in your review,it still does not make you intellect because the person who actually does that is the author itself. The author reflect about reality of society,philosophy,morality into their anime work,thus allowing reviewer to mentioned that in their review. Therefore, perhaps we can considered author as intellectual. Reviewers doesn't do that. Reviewers only spell out the philosophy,moral,reflection of society,deep message that the author convey.
ZapredonFeb 3, 2017 9:12 PM

Feb 3, 2017 12:32 PM

Feb 2009
Honestly, the reviewer only does 50% of the job (which is all the hardwork). The rest of it is up to the reader...

When I look for reviews I try to read as many as can and I also go for the high and low scores, because I really want to see what people consider to be good or bad. After that, it's up to me to decide if that review is something I will take into consideration or just throw it aside. In that process, I certainly know that the review is a subjective material, so I wont take it as absolute truth.

But anyways...I think reviews are a good thing, you just have to be critic about reading them.

Red_Hill said:
I continue to think the new rating system is bad because it privileges reviews that were written ages ago so you don't get any variety and there's no incentive for people to write good reviews because they'll never get the hundreds of likes they need to be seen.

^ And I agree 100% with this.
Feb 3, 2017 2:13 PM

Jul 2015
I never did read an reviews because I generally know what I want to watch, and I'm really not influenced too much by a review. So I never did really care anyway.
Feb 3, 2017 2:23 PM

Jul 2016
I don't care about reviews. I don't want the experience of watching anime being ruined by someone else's opinion. nwn

I want to make my own opinion.
Feb 3, 2017 6:59 PM

Feb 2016
Zapredon said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Again,you didn't explain why your review are intellect while others aren't. I read some your review. Nothing intellect from your review really. All I see is that you shamelessly self proclaim yourself as intellect. No argument from you at all. Oh, being philosophical, deep message or adding moral value etc into your anime review certainly don't make you intellect. No,I don't just say this apply to cartoons. It also apply to movie like Harry Potter and Star Trek. You judge other people work without create any achievement or work on your own. That is what review is.

An intellectual is a person who engages in critical thinking, research, and reflection about the reality of society, and proposes solutions for the normative problems of society, and thus he or she gains authority as a public intellectual.[1][2] Coming from the world of culture, either as a creator or as a mediator, the intellectual participates in politics, either to defend a concrete proposition or to denounce an injustice, usually by producing or by extending an ideology, and by defending a system of values.[3]

Your review don't suggest you are anything like that. Maybe you want to consider joining politic first to become acknowledge as intellectual instead of being deep about anime.

I mean, its nice to see Brain and his overthinking reviews on Mirai Nikki getting roasted but on the other hand youre dumb af.
You keep referring to work, politics and real life activities which is pretty delusional when youre talking about any form of intelligence.
Anyway since you keep mentioning Star Trek, Harry Potter and anime in general. Do you think these are less suited for analysis than other parts of the medium? Any examples for works that are intended to be analyzed?
SpaghettiSpikeFeb 3, 2017 7:02 PM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Feb 3, 2017 7:03 PM

Aug 2008
HamburgerSpike said:
Zapredon said:

I mean, its nice to see Brain and his overthinking reviews on Mirai Nikki getting roasted but on the other hand youre dumb af.
You keep referring to work, politics and real life jobs which is pretty delusional when youre talking about any form of intelligence.
Anyway since you keep mentioning Star Trek, Harry Potter and anime in general. Do you think these are less suited for analysis than other parts of the medium? Any examples?

They aren't any more or less suited for analysis than other parts of medium(book,game etc) but the point is that it does not make you intellect for reviewing anime or movies.

Feb 3, 2017 7:05 PM

Feb 2016
Zapredon said:
HamburgerSpike said:

You keep referring to work, politics and real life jobs which is pretty delusional when youre talking about any form of intelligence.
Anyway since you keep mentioning Star Trek, Harry Potter and anime in general. Do you think these are less suited for analysis than other parts of the medium? Any examples?

They aren't any more or less suited for analysis than other parts of medium(book,game etc) but the point is that it does not make you intellect for reviewing anime or movies.

Does earning a lot of money make you intelligent? Or being popular? Do you think Kim Kardashian has one of the highest IQ?
Or maybe its creating the popular works that makes an intelligent person, the creator of SAO or the Transformers guy?

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

Feb 3, 2017 7:05 PM

Jan 2014
Honestly, the only "reviews" that get attention are the ones that get updated every couple weeks during an airing anime. And even then, it's not following MAL's guidelines (not that many people read it to begin with).
Personally, I don't even read reviews. They're all so bad :D including mine. There are only a handful of reviewers that I actually respect.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Feb 3, 2017 7:10 PM

Aug 2008
HamburgerSpike said:
Zapredon said:

Does earning a lot of money make you intelligent? Or being popular? Do you think Kim Kardashian has one of the highest IQ?

Brain and I are talking about intellect, not intelligent but since you want to talk about intelligence, I will play along.
Being popular is certainly does not make you intelligent. Depend on how you earn money. There are people earning money through luck like winning lottery ticket or inheritance. Being anime reviewer certainly don't make you intelligence since all you did is judging other people work without create something on your own.

IQ is overrated. Most highest IQ countries come from Asia but most innovation or nobel prize winners come from west. Japan is the only Asia country to achieve as much as the west. Industrial revolution come from the west.
https://iq-research.info/en/page/average-iq-by-country

However,if you want to talk about IQ, I guess there's no need for us to analyse anime but just compare which nationality you are from since there's such survey already been done and it's more reliable than anime analyse. Anyone here who are from China most likely is smarter than Brain who are from Israel.

As I stated before,the only reason people come up with this stupid idea that analyse anime make you smart is only because you are in the internet. Internet is a form of escapism. IRL, no one would dare to claim themselves as smart person because they analyse anime since they actually know that it's not true. Try go to job interview and convince the boss that you are smart person because you analyse anime and see how stupid you look like to them. Do you dare to do that HamburgerSpike? Time to grow up kiddo.Sorry,even in the internet,I'm quite a realistic person.

Yes, there are any form of intelligence. But when it comes to anime industry or movie, the smart and intelligence are not the reviewers but rather the creator of those anime and movie. For example, people like Hayao Miyazak,Satoshi Kon, George Lucas,Akira Kurosawa, Steven Spielberg etc. Those are people smart people who come up with something. There is nothing wrong with review but when people acting like they are smart just because they analyse anime that just dumb. It almost as if they are the same as anime elitist. Review has become a platform for egocentric self-gratification.
ZapredonFeb 3, 2017 8:49 PM

Feb 3, 2017 7:52 PM

Feb 2015
Yeah reviews are dead... Now days their just jokes... Like one just written that was just the word "gay" typed like 30 times
Feb 4, 2017 12:27 AM

Feb 2016
Zapredon said:
HamburgerSpike said:

Brain and I are talking about intellect, not intelligent but since you want to talk about intelligence, I will play along.
Being popular is certainly does not make you intelligent. Depend on how you earn money. There are people earning money through luck like winning lottery ticket or inheritance. Being anime reviewer certainly don't make you intelligence since all you did is judging other people work without create something on your own.

IQ is overrated. Most highest IQ countries come from Asia but most innovation or nobel prize winners come from west. Japan is the only Asia country to achieve as much as the west. Industrial revolution come from the west.

However,if you want to talk about IQ, I guess there's no need for us to analyse anime but just compare which nationality you are from since there's such survey already been done and it's more reliable than anime analyse. Anyone here who are from China most likely is smarter than Brain who are from Israel.

As I stated before,the only reason people come up with this stupid idea that analyse anime make you smart is only because you are in the internet. Internet is a form of escapism. IRL, no one would dare to claim themselves as smart person because they analyse anime since they actually know that it's not true. Try go to job interview and convince the boss that you are smart person because you analyse anime and see how stupid you look like to them. Do you dare to do that HamburgerSpike? Time to grow up kiddo.Sorry,even in the internet,I'm quite a realistic person.

Yes, there are any form of intelligence. But when it comes to anime industry or movie, the smart and intelligence are not the reviewers but rather the creator of those anime and movie. For example, people like Hayao Miyazak,Satoshi Kon, George Lucas,Akira Kurosawa, Steven Spielberg etc. Those are people smart people who come up with something. There is nothing wrong with review but when people acting like they are smart just because they analyse anime that just dumb. It almost as if they are the same as anime elitist. Review has become a platform for egocentric self-gratification.

I didnt want to talk about the technical side of IQ, I just used it to describe intelligence. I also didnt know the semantical difference between intellect and intelligence.
What is the difference between the creators of Keijo, To love-ru and Steven Spielberg, Miyazaki or anyone you hold in high regard? And why are some persons qualified to examine their abilities better than others?
Thats where analysis and reviews come into play.

Its not like every argument can be solved by saying: Would you say that in a job interview? Its not like you should be looking extremely smart in a job interview either, different jobs require different qualifications and characteristics. If youre applying for Crunchyroll's PR department then might as well say youre reviewing anime.
I also dont know what makes you think that the Internet is a form of escapism. Its used in millions of ways and youre reducing it to 'escapism'? :D

I agree that in some cases reviewing is a mean to self gratification but saying thats why everyone is doing it would be a generalization. Every case should be treated individually.

PS. I hope im making sense since im having a hell of a hangover.

Feb 4, 2017 12:55 AM

Dec 2014
When I want to get some info about an anime sitting in my plan to watch, or one I just came aross with I usually go by this list:
1, Genre list - can neglect ananime when I'm choosing what to watch next
2, Biography - can determine if I want to watch it now or later
3, Spoilerfree reviews - if biograpy is crap then I look at them, but it could be swapped for some reserch in the net/ other websites (but I'm lazy as f.)

So they are not really needed for me to select animes.

Ok maybe they can offer some inside for some shows that have high complexity/long story/tons of references:

Well the thing is sometimes they can, but if you look at Fate/Zero's 2nd hightest rated review and look at the guide for reviews you will notice, that it should not be allowed (I even went as far as sending a report on it suggesting it to be transfered into a forum topic, or even opening a new fanmade creation forum for it- no reply)

So I'm highly against reviews and if you are someone who deicates his/her time gethering your toughts and writing one please write them here an somewhere else where it won't be neglected/cast aside.
It would be awesome to have a great place to geather those reviews that are made for it's purpose, and done with the head of a thinking man/woman.
Feb 4, 2017 1:00 AM

May 2015
Zapredon said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

-EDIT-
Some other things I would like to add. When you mentioned philosophy,morality or reflection about reality of society(as define in the quote I given) in your review,it still does not make you intellect because the person who actually does that is the author itself. The author reflect about reality of society,philosophy,morality into their anime work,thus allowing reviewer to mentioned that in their review. Therefore, perhaps we can considered author as intellectual. Reviewers doesn't do that. Reviewers only spell out the philosophy,moral,reflection of society,deep message that the author convey.

I do engage in research, analysis and reflection when it comes to anime. It just doesn't put me in the role of 'public intellectual'. An intellectual doesn't have to be out in the public but can do these things privately.

My reviews are analysis of these anime, connecting them to other anime and things beyond anime. It's not a systematic research for a university, true, but it's a free-form kind of research.

Of course, then I go out in the public and discuss these ideas with people, like here on MAL. Notice how few people become 'public intellectuals' without doing something in an institution. So far, I'm doing it independently.
Feb 4, 2017 1:19 AM

Aug 2008
HamburgerSpike said:
Zapredon said:

I didnt want to talk about the technical side of IQ, I just used it to describe intelligence. I also didnt know the semantical difference between intellect and intelligence.
What is the difference between the creators of Keijo, To love-ru and Steven Spielberg, Miyazaki or anyone you hold in high regard? And why are some persons qualified to examine their abilities better than others?

No one is qualified better than the other when it comes to examined their abilites than others.In fact, everyone who watch their shows are equally qualified.

Its not like every argument can be solved by saying: Would you say that in a job interview? Its not like you should be looking extremely smart in a job interview either, different jobs require different qualifications and characteristics. If youre applying for Crunchyroll's PR department then might as well say youre reviewing anime.
I also dont know what makes you think that the Internet is a form of escapism. Its used in millions of ways and youre reducing it to 'escapism'? :D

I'm referring to interview in general. The point is here is that you are not going to convince someone that you are intelligent just by analyse anime. I mean internet as in internet forum. Of course, not everyone use it as escapism but there are people who want to feel superior about themselves in the internet. Example, elitist who think they are superior because of their taste and rating in anime. And now, even people who make review have this delusion thinking they are better than others just because they review some Chinese cartoon.

I agree that in some cases reviewing is a mean to self gratification but saying thats why everyone is doing it would be a generalization. Every case should be treated individually.

Please pay attention to what I said. Here is the quote.

There is nothing wrong with review but when people acting like they are smart just because they analyse anime that just dumb.

I mentioned here, there is nothing wrong with making review but don't try to seek some kind of elitism attitude in review like thinking you are smart or intellectual for analysing anime.

TheBrainintheJar said:
Zapredon said:

-EDIT-

I do engage in research, analysis and reflection when it comes to anime. It just doesn't put me in the role of 'public intellectual'. An intellectual doesn't have to be out in the public but can do these things privately.

My reviews are analysis of these anime, connecting them to other anime and things beyond anime. It's not a systematic research for a university, true, but it's a free-form kind of research.

Of course, then I go out in the public and discuss these ideas with people, like here on MAL. Notice how few people become 'public intellectuals' without doing something in an institution. So far, I'm doing it independently.

Except it's the author of the anime who really done all that reflection. You just spell out what they did. The real intellectual person here are the author, not you. Research and analysis don't make you intellectual.
ZapredonFeb 4, 2017 7:48 PM

Feb 4, 2017 1:27 AM

Dec 2016
Zapredon said:
HamburgerSpike said:

No one is qualified better than the other when it comes to examined their abilites than others.In fact, everyone who watch their shows are equally qualified.

I'm referring to interview in general. The point is here is that you are not going to convince someone that you are intelligent just by analyse anime. I mean internet as in internet forum. Of course, not everyone use it as escapism but there are people who want to feel superior about themselves in the internet. Example, elitist who think they are superior because of their taste and rating in anime. And now, even people who make review have this delusion thinking they are better than others just because they review some Chinese cartoon.

Please pay attention to what I said. Here is the quote.

There is nothing wrong with review but when people acting like they are smart just because they analyse anime that just dumb.

I mentioned here, there is nothing wrong with making review but don't try to seek some kind of elitism attitude in review like thinking you are smart or intellectual for analysing anime.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Except it's the author of the anime who really done all that reflection. You just spell out what they did. The real intellectual person here are the author, not you.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same. And while all that shit happens, this discussion will go on.

Do you think there's an end to this? Or do I need to make someone close the thread now? Cause it's getting annoying. :3
Feb 4, 2017 1:51 AM

Oct 2016
No , I don't care about reviews and I never had because :
1.They are biased
2. They contain spoilers
3. I don't care what one single individual thinks about an anime, instead I look for what majority thinks.
4. Some reviewers deliberately write negative reviews of a popular anime just to make them look like an critic.
Feb 4, 2017 2:19 AM

Apr 2008
Zapredon said:
I'm referring to interview in general. The point is here is that you are not going to convince someone that you are intelligent just by analyse anime.

Actually, you can. If you can make well-reasoned arguments for or against something, this is definitely a sign of intelligence.

What you are talking about is different. You point out that anime in general is not deep and complex, which is true, but has nothing to do with someone’s ability to provide logical and well-thought-out explanations. You can still give well-reasoned arguments why this or that series is a good romance/adventure/slice of life, etc. and whether or not this series is deep doesn’t matter.

To be sure, providing good criticism for something complex is more challenging, but if someone is able to use critical thinking in the first place, it will show even if the object of criticism is not very complex.
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Feb 4, 2017 2:21 AM

Aug 2008
Lain666 said:
Zapredon said:
I'm referring to interview in general. The point is here is that you are not going to convince someone that you are intelligent just by analyse anime.

Actually, you can. If you can make well-reasoned arguments for or against something, this is definitely a sign of intelligence.

What you are talking about is different. You point out that anime in general is not deep and complex, which is true, but has nothing to do with someone’s ability to provide logical and well-thought-out explanations. You can still give well-reasoned arguments why this or that series is a good romance/adventure/slice of life, etc. and whether or not these shows are deep doesn’t matter.

To be sure, providing good criticism for something complex is more challenging, but if someone is able to use critical thinking in the first place, it will show even if the object of criticism is not very complex.

I agree criticism need to be in perfect construct but I don't think that had anything to do with intelligence. Being able to explain why you like something or not or think something is good or bad had nothing to do with intelligence. It's not that hard to explain something. Instead, review that does not explain something well is just bad review,nothing to do with intelligence. Not everyone read MAL review guidelines.
ZapredonFeb 4, 2017 2:30 AM

Feb 4, 2017 6:05 AM

Feb 2015
It's really sad that so many people don't read reviews. They probably realize that they have no idea why they even like their favorite anime in the first place, so seeing other people talking about their opinions in detail pisses them off. Just look at the profile of everyone in this thread claiming they don't care for reviews and you will notice, most of them only watch mindless mainstream shit. Personally I'm very interested in other people's opinion on anime/manga, even if I disagree with them.
Feb 5, 2017 1:24 AM

May 2015
JonasTheJay said:
It's really sad that so many people don't read reviews. They probably realize that they have no idea why they even like their favorite anime in the first place, so seeing other people talking about their opinions in detail pisses them off. Just look at the profile of everyone in this thread claiming they don't care for reviews and you will notice, most of them only watch mindless mainstream shit. Personally I'm very interested in other people's opinion on anime/manga, even if I disagree with them.

Man, if only more people thought this way.

Stuff is more fun when you can talk about it with people.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 9 hours ago

24 by deg »»
56 seconds ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

82 by Zalis »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

68 by LostSpectre »»
4 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - 12 hours ago

36 by PostMahouShoujo »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 3 hours ago

11 by Dumb »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.