Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 31, 2017 8:49 AM

Jul 2009
Dang, loved the Kyouko focus this episode. So she was the one who originally wanted to leave but then Rei did it instead, oh man. Plus now Gotou's rejecting her too, though I suppose he never took her that seriously. The matches between him and Shimada were pretty intense too, I don't really know who to cheer for really XD Guess I'm leaning a bit more towards Shimada though since we don't really know Gotou that well :P I guess Rei hasn't been visiting the sisters lately but I guess he needs to focus on himself more first, though I guess it's hard for them especially Hina :( Ah well hopefully Rei can catch up in attendance and pass school too though lol XD
Jan 31, 2017 8:52 AM

Apr 2016
Dajoeman said:
animefan8800 said:

The key word is neglect. He neglected his other children. It's not as simple as oh he's being mean or whatnot. Although literally forcing her to quit shogi because she wasn't winning was, imo pretty damn awful of him. It's implied in that instance he thought he was right because he saw she had no talent and didn't want to see her waste her time on it without getting anywhere but, and this is key, it was her passion! A good father should have encouraged her regardless and allowed her to make her own decisions and possible mistakes. She's a child and he's the adult in that situation. Of course he should be held to a higher standard than her. Now how she interacts with Rei in the present is another story entirely. I honestly can't stand her in general and have said as much numerous times. But I hafta acknowledge that she didn't wind up the way she is all by herself. So yes, she has my sympathy regarding her past with her father. At least for now.

I just feel that as a parent there are certain decision that must be made, the truth is painful, yes she wasn't a good shogi player, he didn't want her to make mistakes. there are a lot of people who are allowed to chase their dreams and end up in ruin because they put so much time into it and did nothing else as a backup. He didn't neglect her, imagine having a boy that everyone treats differently, he tried to be a father to rei, if you recall kyouka once told rei that her father isn't his father, this all stemmed from the point rei was introduced into that home. are you saying the father should have left rei and given the other children even more attention? because i feel rei was a broken record and the dad realized this and he had to help him. there were glimpses of this her wicked nature in the past, it wasn't the neglect that caused this, it was the frustration that rei was a better shogi player than her and the fact that he got along better (had similarities with her dad), that was main reason. She felt stupid in front them. Left out but honestly thats because she simply wasn't good at shogi. you can't expect the father to train her when he knows as a professional you need to have the talent, passion can't give you success thats just hard work.

You're strange. Did you ever think about all the kids playing soccer, basketball, baseball, chess ... whatever, and then just think the parents come to them and say : "sorry kid, it doesn't look like you can make it to the national team level, so give up already!"

Games, sports aren't supposed to be played only on the top level.
What's the problem with kid playing games?
What's the problem with Kyouko playing shogi?
That's really totally crazy that her father forced her to stop! I do think he is an idiot! Sure Kyouko is an adult now and she should just pity him for being such an incompetent father but it looks like she can't get over it yet. However, for what we got from their story, we can't say Kyouko became "evil" without reason. She was still a kid in middle school looking for her father's esteem when he stabbed her in the heart, and the dagger had rei's name on it. There's no other words. That he didn't mean it that way is no excuse. Being an idiotic adult is no excuse. He was her father. You don't do that to your kids. He should have let her play and find her own limits alone and respect her efforts.
Ysad_ZiwezhanJan 31, 2017 11:23 AM
Jan 31, 2017 9:03 AM
Jun 2014
I wrote up a character analysis of Kyouko based off my thoughts from this episode, which can be found on my blog. Would really like to generate some more discussion about her, and receive constructive feedback regarding my writing! :D

https://myanimelist.net/blog/Zaiden
Jan 31, 2017 2:39 PM

Apr 2016
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Dajoeman said:

I just feel that as a parent there are certain decision that must be made, the truth is painful, yes she wasn't a good shogi player, he didn't want her to make mistakes. there are a lot of people who are allowed to chase their dreams and end up in ruin because they put so much time into it and did nothing else as a backup. He didn't neglect her, imagine having a boy that everyone treats differently, he tried to be a father to rei, if you recall kyouka once told rei that her father isn't his father, this all stemmed from the point rei was introduced into that home. are you saying the father should have left rei and given the other children even more attention? because i feel rei was a broken record and the dad realized this and he had to help him. there were glimpses of this her wicked nature in the past, it wasn't the neglect that caused this, it was the frustration that rei was a better shogi player than her and the fact that he got along better (had similarities with her dad), that was main reason. She felt stupid in front them. Left out but honestly thats because she simply wasn't good at shogi. you can't expect the father to train her when he knows as a professional you need to have the talent, passion can't give you success thats just hard work.

You're strange. Did you ever think about all the kids playing soccer, basketball, baseball, chess ... whatever, and then just think the parents come to them and say : "sorry kid, it doesn't look like you can make it to the national team level, so give up already!"

Games, sports aren't supposed to be played only on the top level.
What's the problem with kid playing games?
What's the problem with Kyouko playing shogi?
That's really totally crazy that her father forced her to stop! I do think he is an idiot! Sure Kyouko is an adult now and she should just pity him for being such an incompetent father but it looks like she can't get over it yet. However, for what we got from their story, we can't say Kyouko became "evil" without reason. She was still a kid in middle school looking for her father's esteem when he stabbed her in the heart, and the dagger had rei's name on it. There's no other words. That he didn't mean it that way is no excuse. Being an idiotic adult is no excuse. He was her father. You don't do that to your kids. He should have let her play and find her own limits alone and respect her efforts.

You're clearly deluded, if thats how you treat your kids fine, but you lack understanding of the situation.
Remember the dad didn't say she should stop playing shogi entirely, just that she can't play it professionally and reminded her that there are other things in life other than shogi. There is nothing wrong in saying that. Your statement and argument is invalid bro. Go watch the episode again. Read between the lines. She felt shogi was the only way to communicate with her dad and thats how she feels and thats why she's like this.
You aren't considering the scenario that is happening. this isn't an average family. A parent is allowed to say what he feel is best. Need i remind you he was a professional shogi player and he knows what its like to be good at it. so i believe his opinion is not stupid in any way. When did rei start playing shogi professionally? What did she say about her father and rei? she said she felt angry and thought they felt she was stupid because she knew she wasn't good enough. Need i remind you, rei was already beating her in shogi before she finished middle school. the abuse she gave him had began before that so what the fuck are you on about. she treated him like trash and made him feel isolated. the dad did what he could do to make rei actually feel loved. but in the end rei tried to help the same person who hated him for being better than her but loved him because she was attached to him. so the dad can't be blamed here.
Jan 31, 2017 3:44 PM

Apr 2016
Dajoeman said:
she treated him like trash and made him feel isolated. the dad did what he could do to make rei actually feel loved. but in the end rei tried to help the same person who hated him for being better than her but loved him because she was attached to him. so the dad can't be blamed here.

The dad just treated his daughter like trash and you say he can't be blamed?

Watch again episode 5. He told her daughter to quit shogi. What's the point? You don't tell your kid "you're a loser". Best case, you let them try and fail on their own.

I'm glad I didn't have parents like that.
Ysad_ZiwezhanJan 31, 2017 3:51 PM
Feb 1, 2017 1:37 AM

Apr 2016
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Dajoeman said:
she treated him like trash and made him feel isolated. the dad did what he could do to make rei actually feel loved. but in the end rei tried to help the same person who hated him for being better than her but loved him because she was attached to him. so the dad can't be blamed here.

Watch again episode 5. He told her daughter to quit shogi. What's the point? You don't tell your kid "you're a loser". Best case, you let them try and fail on their own.

I get so irritated when people only look at what they want to see. Did you watch the episode? before her dad said what he said, look at the scenes that took place first. Are you oblivious to everything else but that part????? Rei said he had been introduced into a shogi family. They were all aspiring to become professional shogi players and at that time Kyouka was always beating rei up because he always beat her at shogi and she felt he was full of himself. She called him a "zero". This again was before her dad said anything.
Are you fucking blind? The dad was angry at her because she struck an opponent when she lost at shogi. Why can't anyone see this????????? The dad had all the right to do what he did. He was frustrated with her actions. you do realize that people go to jail for hitting other people right? don't be biased. Her dad did have his faults but she clearly had her at a young age to.
Feb 1, 2017 2:01 AM

Apr 2016
Dajoeman said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

I get so irritated when people only look at what they want to see. Did you watch the episode? before her dad said what he said, look at the scenes that took place first. Are you oblivious to everything else but that part????? Rei said he had been introduced into a shogi family. They were all aspiring to become professional shogi players and at that time Kyouka was always beating rei up because he always beat her at shogi and she felt he was full of himself. She called him a "zero". This again was before her dad said anything.
Are you fucking blind? The dad was angry at her because she struck an opponent when she lost at shogi. Why can't anyone see this????????? The dad had all the right to do what he did. He was frustrated with her actions. you do realize that people go to jail for hitting other people right? don't be biased. Her dad did have his faults but she clearly had her at a young age to.

Kyouko was a kid and she became the way she is because of her education : Parents are at fault. Nice to see you admit the dad has his fault. That's precisely my point. You do understand me after all.

He was right to punish Kyouko when she hit Rei.
He was right to support Rei after he lost his family.
He was wrong to not support his daughter when she wanted to keep on playing Shogi and the most laughable thing when doing that, he use the fact she lost against Rei to justify his decision, what a joke! She lost against a one-in-a-decade-genius and that's the reason why she had to quit the shogi association?
Funnily, Mr. Kouda himself lost against Rei. Should he quit Shogi?

I'm not saying Mr. Kouda was evil or always wrong, but when it's about treating his daughter with tact, he was simply an idiot. Again I'm glad I didn't have parents like that. Even Rei as a 14 - 15 years old child was more mature than him regarding parent-kids realtionships.

Having said all that, it doesn't mean that Kyouko doesn't have any responsibility now for what she does. She is an adult, if she was a bit clever and self-aware, she should get a grip and move on but I've heard that in real life too, some adults can't get over the lack of love and attention they suffered from during their childhood.

That's why Umino Chika's depiction is impressive. It's not all black and white. We have a father who loves his children but in a way it damaged them. He is not aware of it. He is better at playing shogi. You can't be good at everything. As a result Kyouko became bitter and frustrated even though she could live happily without childishly trying to break Rei. She stopped growing years ago and now still have the maturity of a 12 years old kid.
That's really good writing.
Ysad_ZiwezhanFeb 1, 2017 2:20 AM
Feb 1, 2017 3:43 AM

Dec 2012
Why does Rei like Kyouko?
Feb 1, 2017 4:20 AM

Apr 2016
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Dajoeman said:

Kyouko was a kid and she became the way she is because of her education : Parents are at fault. Nice to see you admit the dad has his fault. That's precisely my point. You do understand me after all.

He was wrong to not support his daughter when she wanted to keep on playing Shogi and the most laughable thing when doing that, he use the fact she lost against Rei to justify his decision, what a joke! She lost against a one-in-a-decade-genius and that's the reason why she had to quit the shogi association?

I'm not saying Mr. Kouda was evil or always wrong, but when it's about treating his daughter with tact, he was simply an idiot. Again I'm glad I didn't have parents like that. Even Rei as a 14 - 15 years old child was more mature than him regarding parent-kids realtionships.

Having said all that, it doesn't mean that Kyouko doesn't have any responsibility now for what she does. She is an adult, if she was a bit clever and self-aware, she should get a grip and move on but I've heard that in real life too, some adults can't get over the lack of love and attention they suffered from during their childhood.

That's why Umino Chika's depiction is impressive. It's not all black and white. We have a father who loves his children but in a way it damaged them. He is not aware of it. He is better at playing shogi. You can't be good at everything. As a result Kyouko became bitter and frustrated even though she could live happily without childishly trying to break Rei. She stopped growing years ago and now still have the maturity of a 12 years old kid.

So you're saying becoming violent when you lose to an opponent isn't enough to warrant her from playing shogi again?? Because i feel thats more than enough especially if its been an ongoing issue. She didn't act violently towards Rei only once but multiples times. By the time Kouda lost to Rei, he had stopped playing shogi tho. Rei wasn't just anybody, Kouda and Rei's father were best friends. The two families knew each other. You still defend her, saying its the father's fault but i disagree. He was there for them. he did what he believed was best. The father used the match against Rei as a cover up. The main reason he didn't want her playing anymore was the violent behaviour she had. There are times our parents won't want to use the main reason to teach us. That was just a cover up to what he actually intended.
I just can't allow the blame to be only on him for the way she ended up. she needs to accept that she was partially the cause of her own issues.
Feb 1, 2017 4:21 AM
Jun 2014
PoLoBreak said:

Stockholm syndrome? :P

Jokes aside, in my blog post, I like to think I give a comprehensive perspective on the view Rei has on Kyouko and the nature of their complicated relationship. Would be cool if anyone else could check it out, in addition to Dajoeman, who provided some very helpful feedback:

P.S. Thanks Dajoeman! :D
Feb 1, 2017 6:22 AM

Apr 2016
Dajoeman said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

So you're saying becoming violent when you lose to an opponent isn't enough to warrant her from playing shogi again??

Yes, of course. If she stops going berserk, she has the right to play shogi. Where did you get the information that she couldn't learn to behave?

Because i feel thats more than enough especially if its been an ongoing issue. She didn't act violently towards Rei only once but multiples times.

As she was a kid. And she didn't beat him the last time she lost against him.

By the time Kouda lost to Rei, he had stopped playing shogi tho.

Did he? I thought he was still playing in the B1 or B2 class.

The father used the match against Rei as a cover up. The main reason he didn't want her playing anymore was the violent behaviour she had. There are times our parents won't want to use the main reason to teach us. That was just a cover up to what he actually intended.

Where did you get this info in the anime? Or are you just trying to make up some excuses for the father?

I just can't allow the blame to be only on him for the way she ended up. she needs to accept that she was partially the cause of her own issues.

She might be partially responsible (even more now that she is an adult), I don't deny that, but parents are responsible in a large extent for how their kids are growing. It's hard to escape from that fact.
Ysad_ZiwezhanFeb 1, 2017 6:33 AM
Feb 1, 2017 10:08 AM

Apr 2016
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Dajoeman said:

So you're saying becoming violent when you lose to an opponent isn't enough to warrant her from playing shogi again??

Yes, of course. If she stops going berserk, she has the right to play shogi. Where did you get the information that she couldn't learn to behave?

Because i feel thats more than enough especially if its been an ongoing issue. She didn't act violently towards Rei only once but multiples times.

As she was a kid. And she didn't beat him the last time she lost against him.

By the time Kouda lost to Rei, he had stopped playing shogi tho.

Did he? I thought he was still playing in the B1 or B2 class.

The father used the match against Rei as a cover up. The main reason he didn't want her playing anymore was the violent behaviour she had. There are times our parents won't want to use the main reason to teach us. That was just a cover up to what he actually intended.

Where did you get this info in the anime? Or are you just trying to make up some excuses for the father?

She might be partially responsible (even more now that she is an adult), I don't deny that, but parents are responsible in a large extent for how their kids are growing. It's hard to escape from that fact.

Kyouka is a self-pitying, needy women who desperately wants to be satisfied with herself. She looks for every opportunity to blame someone else.
All i want from the conversation is for you to agree that its not entirely the father's fault for what she has become. You know sometimes, there are things that can't be fixed. there are illnesses people suffer from that put them in that tough spot. Mental illnesses that make decision making and their thoughts clouded. Only God knows what's the real truth behind it all.
Anyways i'm going to end the convo here as i don't believe we will come to a mid point.
Feb 1, 2017 1:54 PM

Dec 2012
Zaiden said:
PoLoBreak said:

Stockholm syndrome? :P

Jokes aside, in my blog post, I like to think I give a comprehensive perspective on the view Rei has on Kyouko and the nature of their complicated relationship. Would be cool if anyone else could check it out, in addition to Dajoeman, who provided some very helpful feedback:

P.S. Thanks Dajoeman! :D

I read your blog, it was great! I personally don't really care too much about Kyouko, but I think this episode made her more sympathetic. I really like the cracked glass metaphor, that encapsulates her character so well. I can understand Rei for feeling guilty about Kyouka and wanting to make amends, maybe he doesn't have romantic feelings for her though.
Feb 1, 2017 8:20 PM

Nov 2011
Kyouko is garbage. Her past does nothing on how I feel about her now. She's pure and utter garbage.

What we really need to focus on is protecting this little nugget!
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Feb 2, 2017 7:00 AM

Dec 2014
I kinda felt sad for rei's sister always trying to find acceptance....
Feb 2, 2017 6:56 PM

Sep 2015
I wonder how Gotou feels about his wife being in the hospital.
Feb 3, 2017 10:53 AM

Mar 2013
Amazing episode. I feel sympathy towards Kyoko and I think her character is nicely written. Just hope she finds her own happiness one day.

The rivalry b/w Shimada and Gotou was really amusing to see XD
Shimada's a fun character :D

And we got a backstory on the chubby boy. Explaining why he sticks around Rei so much.
Feb 3, 2017 4:15 PM

Apr 2016
Awesome Shaft work. The animation and soundtrack greatly lightened the show, making it less boring and tedious when it comes to Shogi match. The rivalry between Shimada and Gotou is very interesting, at first match they kept it cool but the 2nd time they met it became a total war lol.

Kyouko finally gets some development, though she appears as a villain who's going to ruin Rei, she's just another victim of life, suffered because of family affairs. They did that flashback very well, emphasize Rei and Kyouko dramatic past.
Feb 4, 2017 5:26 AM

Mar 2009
Poor Shimada. Dude wins the 2nd match against Gotou and then he sees that Gotou has a beautiful girl like Kyouko with him. Sometimes even when you win, you lose.
Feb 5, 2017 8:49 AM
Apr 2014
The teacher is the best xD He can't decide if he wants to push him further into shogi or help him managing his wish of finishing school :D

Also Kyouko is definitely going to get fucked up in any way. Either Gotou loses his temper or he actually calls police on her(I mean I doubt they would believe her over him). Very dangerous game she is playing. Well. Not that she wouldn't deserve learning that lesson.
Feb 6, 2017 3:53 AM

Jul 2008
I feel no sympathy for Kyouko.

Shimada kick Gotou's ass.

And poor Rei...I hate staying after school.
Feb 8, 2017 2:44 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Kyouko's pretty daring though aint she lol
Kyouko's like a cracked mirror i guess
Despite the fact that she has family, looks and respect she's still lonely though

If Kyouko did not have a shogi family maybe she wouldn't have been like that though and It seems that her relationship with her father is worst than i thought

Hmm Goto vs Shimada eh
That will be the most interesting of matches to see
Kinda nice that the tournament is also streamed online as well
as it allows others to see how the game is faring while at the same time seeing what moves were made

True watching it at the venue would be better but Rei also has a lot of absences though. Lol that teacher really cares about Rei and understands just how important Shogi is to him.
Lol but looks like his absence is already well within the red zone.

Lol Rei and his fellow Shogi players analyzing the moves together
But then again this is a valuable learning experience for them
Once again i love the music that played during the match

Wow Shogi games can take that long eh
hmm so Shimada lost the first match eh
Hmm i like the backstory that established the relationship between Kyouko and Rei when they were still new to each other
If Rei hadn't moved away would their relationship would still be this and i wonder.

Good to see that Shimada wasn't depressed by losing and instead seems to be still pretty fired up.
So Akari and the others found out that Rei and lost eh
Hinata's Grans advice is spot on
Failing at something is fine because you at least tried and its better than doing nothing your whole life.

Hina really cares a great deal about Rei eh
The same can be said of Akari and Momo as well
Its like Rei is part of the family lol

Lol Goto and Shimada bickering with each other
red vs blue eh
lol that must have looked like a mature presence to watchers lol
lol so Rei's attendance was that bad then eh

My the teacher really did a lot to help Rei out there
even asking the teachers on Rei's behalf what to revise for the exams
hmm it seems that the two have a stalemate on their hands lol
lol i love the sound effects for the match though
as each piece is moves there's a bang lol

Wow both are putting every piece into play eh
Using kings is usually the last resort though
wow Shimada finally won but man he looks exhausted
lol the reaction of his fellow players at seeing whats been lost in that match alone

Hmm so Nikaido had to stay in hospitals several times because of his health and because of this he went into Shogi eh
So thats how he and Rei met then eh
No wonder that he regards Rei so highly

Lol Nikaido and Shimada's faces when they saw Goto and Kyouko though
lol even though Shimada won he still feels defeat because of Kyouko

A pretty good episode with the focus being the match between Goto and Shimada
I liked the backstory between Rei and Kyouko that was also shown in this episode and my views of her have actually changed after this episode. Pressure from her father and Rei eventually led her to becoming the person that she is today.
Rei's teacher though is really pulling out all of the stops for him though.

Both of the matches in this episode was well played and i liked both the music and the sound effects that they had. I had no idea that Shogi matches can that exhausting and hard though not to mention long. But im glad that while he lost the first match that Shimada won the second one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2017 12:51 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Another great episode, with a hard final fight, but to the end of this episode is draw 1-1 and left one match!!!

Meanwhile Kiriyama and his teacher have problems, but all was very funny!!!!

Nice draw, and two sensations in the ssame episode, serious and funny, well differenced!!!
Mar 8, 2017 2:53 PM

Dec 2014
I actually want Gotou to win also. It'll just bring more pressure towards the end of the anime.

I have small reviews for almost ALL anime I've seen. Unlike any regular MAL page you've seen.

Ever wondering what I've watched and what I think about it? Check my List out below!

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Iam_Jermaine
Mar 9, 2017 7:29 PM

Dec 2012
Shimada feels defeated because he may have won at Shogi, but Gotou has clearly won in life. LOL
Mar 19, 2017 5:13 AM
Feb 2015
animefan8800 said:
Gotou complex? He's a dick who cheats on his hospitalized wife and, probably, hits women. What's so complex? I'm not one to agree with that bitch Kyouko, but she was definitely right about her father in that flashback. From what we've seen anyway, he definitely cared more about Rei. So whoever wins this best of 3 faces white haired prodigy Rei lookalike right? Doesn't matter who wins then, he'll destroy either of them. XD So we had one small scene with 2 of the sisters over the last 3 episodes now. So sister starved!
I agree with you 100% you summed it up
Mar 19, 2017 5:15 AM
Feb 2015
Reverberate said:
Playing shogi for that many hours.... That's crazy. That was one intense match though. Great episode. The comedy felt like it worked better this time than it normally does for me.
isn't this how professional sports is it may not be professional football or professional basketball or professional baseball it's a mind sport a strategy board game
Mar 21, 2017 4:29 AM

Mar 2015
Well I think anyone can spend hours nonstop on something they love, it's no different to spending hours in front of a computer playing games if you think about it.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 21, 2017 10:41 AM

Aug 2015
I Feel Convoluted about Kyoukou, but the Shogi battle was great.
Liking traps is gay and liking Lolis is Pedophila.
Come at me bruh!
Apr 4, 2017 7:33 PM

May 2012
Quite the intense episode, looking forward to see what's next!
Apr 8, 2017 8:24 PM

May 2011
Gotou is like kaiki, so badass.thats enough reason to be popular arround girls.
Apr 13, 2017 9:11 AM

Jan 2014
so, somehow Rei and his foster father are both the one Kyouko hate and yet also the one Kyouko hold dear?
May 4, 2017 8:22 AM

Jun 2013
I'm confused whether or not Rei admires Kyouka because of personal interest or whether he's concerned for her since her father adopted him.

She's a time bomb waiting to happen, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if she gets hit by a car. I don't understand why she's in love with that old man.

Rei's teacher is so kind, he's doing everything he can for Rei to help him stay in school but also pushing him towards his passion. He reminds me of Shūji Hanamoto from Honey and Clover.

Awww, Nikaido. <3 I love him. He's like a short, chunky-version of Morita from Honey & Clover. I love him.

Gotou seems like an asshole.
臭い-
Jun 1, 2017 2:40 AM
Apr 2017
Great episode!

Mr. Shimada was so cool and funny. LoL
"What is this sense of defeat?" - Mr. Shimada Lmao!

But Kyouko....uh what a waste.
Jun 1, 2017 2:41 AM
Apr 2017
sarnlack said:
Gotou is like kaiki, so badass.thats enough reason to be popular arround girls.

Hell yeah!
But Mr Shimada and Kaiki have similar VA, I guess.
Doctor_PepperJun 1, 2017 4:03 AM
Jun 5, 2017 3:34 PM
Aug 2014
Nikaido is so innocent.

Think Gotou losing would be most interesting to see what'll happen with Kyouko.
Jul 16, 2017 11:56 AM

Apr 2015
Thought the first scene could have been handled better, in a little more subverted way
And the last minutes were a bit slow.

Still a return to form I'd say
Oct 18, 2017 1:49 PM

Nov 2011
What is most important to know is where is Rei going to live: at the home of his adopted parents or at the home of the three sisters? However, the episode as a whole was interesting and the comic part I really liked.
Aug 22, 2018 6:17 PM

Apr 2015
Does Nikaidou not go to school? He'd definitely be dealing with attendance issues like Rei if he does. Is his illness serious enough he isn't able to attend school?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 8, 2018 11:20 AM

Mar 2018
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Gotou is really quite a guy in this series, probably one of the most complex character in the story. I find his rivalry match against Shimada to be intriguing. There's also more focus on Kyoko this time around.

I actually find it interesting that they go into depths with exploring her character considering what she has yet always wants more. The Shaft animation style kicking in this episode lol

There is nothing complex about Goutou. He is an asshole plain and simple. He cheats on his wife, is aggressive and loves to hurt other people - either physically or psychologically or both.
Sep 24, 2018 8:08 PM

Jun 2011
What does Nikaido mean by splitting a head in half?

I would like for more character development on him.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Oct 10, 2018 8:20 AM

Feb 2017
So Kyouko's and Rei's relationship is more complicated and intresting than it seemed before. Looking forward for it to be exploerd more.

I really love Nikaidou and Shimada, they are really fun to watch. I hope Shimada beats Gotou.
Nov 11, 2018 7:39 PM

Mar 2012
i find it funny when people think the world is black and white and only see what they want to see. i actually feel a bit jealous of them, because sometimes people are so complex it gives me migraines.
the kyouko x rei thing is funny because some people here are saying she's trash just because she's frustrated and feeling sorry for herself when REI does the same thing, they just behave completely differently because of their personalities. i could go as far as saying they both might have depression, but they both react differently to it.
there's no use in blaming her or her father for the situation, as, the way i see it, they're both at fault, even when not meaning any harm. she wanted to be acknowledged by her father and learned shogi, but rei was better than him and she felt like he got all the attention she so much wanted. she was a kid by then, and although i don't think it justifies the violence, it was a visceral reaction. i don't think his father meant any harm either. he wanted to lift the weight from her shoulders, but she felt humiliated, because that's from her personality. in the end, she's always blamed rei for something that isn't his fault, but deep down, i do think she knows it's not his fault. otherwise she wouldn't keep coming back to him when he left. the whole group thing is just a way to get attention, i don't really think she really loves him, maybe she wanted to be a bit like him, strong willed and good at the game. and rei accepts her the way she is, because he feels guilty. it's good when the characters are not plain.
Dec 27, 2018 11:54 AM
Jul 2018
Loving Shimada and Nikaidou's relationship. Gotou is a dick. Kyouko might have a point against Rei's adoptive dad. Pacing is decent

4/5
Jan 1, 2019 11:11 PM

Jun 2015
I wanna know what the story behind Kyouko and Gotou is, cause right now all I can guess and assume is an affair
Feb 5, 2019 12:44 PM

Jan 2019
Nice Ep. That Last Part Was Great ... Lol
Feb 14, 2019 5:18 PM
Apr 2018
Nice episode. The shogi matches were a bit of a drag but mainly because I don't understand the game. Also, are chess matches that long? Half a day playing shogi... that must be painful.

It's weird seeing Kyouko acting so "needy" next to Gotou when she always had that overconfident "aura" in front of Rei. Gotou doesn't care about Kyou at all.
Mar 25, 2019 8:08 AM

Feb 2013
Shogi can be intense, wow!
Gotou was mad, I think it's better for Kyouko that he avoided her, I wouldn't want to see him get violent.
May 3, 2019 6:45 PM
Jan 2019
With what's going on, I'm ashamed to say that Kyouko might be my next favorite character xD
Jun 1, 2019 9:11 PM

Sep 2017
Man, that ED really is quite a banger, huh. Oh, it has 106 million views... I really enjoyed seeing two high tier players like Shimada and Gouto go at it against one another. Really shows that they are on a totally different level than Kiriyama. It was pretty predictable that it would go to the third match, but that will certainly be an interesting match to see. Gouto seems to be a pretty complex character... Poor Kyouko seems to be wrapped around his finger.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

90 by little_raven »»
Apr 8, 8:54 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Nov 19, 2016

111 by little_raven »»
Mar 26, 11:11 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2017

104 by blinddig »»
Mar 13, 2:15 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

160 by TraeKun »»
Feb 18, 8:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.