Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 18, 2017 1:43 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
_Ako_ said:
Barnald said:

Fall of reviews popularity begun when MAL changed voting system. I remember that with helpful/not helpful way of voting new reviews were getting at least 20-30 votes (even if it wasn't about new anime) and because ranking was based on % ratio it could get to top4 and gain even more popularity. After introduction of helpful-only rating system I can imagine many people loosing faith in getting through to top4 because older reviews can have up to couple of thousands upvotes. That's where I lost interest as well and I pretty much stopped reading them at all. Occasionaly I just scroll through new reviews section to see them getting even less upvotes.

What, that's the fall of review section? If you ask me that's the rise of it. Ppl have always that and this, see the Suggestion Forum why it is the way it is now.

And if you ask me, I think removing the "not helpful" stuff just makes the "helpful" more genuine...

Not helpful button was removed because people were salty about others "raiding" their reviews and spamming not helpful. The same case can be with spamming helpful votes but there's no counterweight now. And please don't make me laugh with all not giving an opinion is also an opinion bullshit.
And yes, that's the fall of it because why would anyone write a well thought review, spend time on it and on, for example, rewatching the series just to see it get like 10-20 upvotes and be forgotten after it leaves fresh review section?
Jan 18, 2017 3:46 AM

Aug 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
Zapredon said:

Intelligence or not is not the issues here. Not that internet argument about cartoon prove anyone intelligence anyway. It's about whether people will care or the opinion of other will change their mind. A Tatami Galaxy, SAO,Re:Zero fans etc will still think their favorite anime is the best regardless of what negative criticism directed towards their favorite anime. Same applies for people who doesn't like those anime.

Nobody or most people don't care about review simply because in the end, they will stick to their opinion. If I read a negative review before I watch anime, then I watch that anime and found it great,of course I will still think it's good even though it receives negative reviews. I myself prefer 3 episodes rule rather than review before decided to watch anime until the end. Netizen might not want to believe it but truth is,internet argument or review weight and matter little.

The fact you think these discussions are only about whether Tatami Galaxy is good or not shows how you miss the point.

Art and entertainment aren't isolated things but connected to everything else. When we talk about anime, we talk about art, about the themes present in the anime and what they mean. It can also be just practicing the art of dialectic discource.

Read the title about this thread again. It's about review. Review is about how good or bad an anime really is, hence we have a 'Overall Rating' scale from 1-10 mentioned in review. Same goes for movie and game review. That is why some posters brought up rating. You are clearly the one missing the point of this thread.
ZapredonJan 18, 2017 4:00 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jan 18, 2017 4:55 AM

Jun 2016
While acknowledging the importance of reviews, honestly, I do not read them.

I usually prefer to watch the series I want to watch and think about them by myself, or share a few ideas with friends, but reading some analysis about shows is not something I'd like to do.

I am sure there are really good reviews that deserve much more attention, though.

In my case, I am just not interested enough, at least for now.
Jan 18, 2017 8:23 AM

Jul 2015
I often read reviews, and depending on the tone, and after taking a look at the reviewers' profiles I can get a clearer pic of a show. The worst thing that can happen to me is to have a bunch of similar reviews written by people with similar taste, huh.

Shoryu said:
Sakuyasama1000 said:
@GangsterCat i dont think 10 is fanboy i gave 10 t cowboy Bebop because of the chars and amazing story

Sounds like something a fanboy would say.

XD savage.
Jan 19, 2017 7:04 AM

May 2015
Zapredon said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

The fact you think these discussions are only about whether Tatami Galaxy is good or not shows how you miss the point.

Art and entertainment aren't isolated things but connected to everything else. When we talk about anime, we talk about art, about the themes present in the anime and what they mean. It can also be just practicing the art of dialectic discource.

Read the title about this thread again. It's about review. Review is about how good or bad an anime really is, hence we have a 'Overall Rating' scale from 1-10 mentioned in review. Same goes for movie and game review. That is why some posters brought up rating. You are clearly the one missing the point of this thread.

Such reviews are crap. Good reviews do more than provide consumer's advice. They're informative about the medium and the artform, discussing the themes and providing insight into them. If the review is a closed system that's only about whether the anime is good or bad, then it's not of much use.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 19, 2017 7:07 AM

Aug 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
Zapredon said:

Such reviews are crap. Good reviews do more than provide consumer's advice. They're informative about the medium and the artform, discussing the themes and providing insight into them. If the review is a closed system that's only about whether the anime is good or bad, then it's not of much use.

Sorry, but fact for the matter is, that is what review all about. They talk about how good anime really are. Not just for anime but also for movies or video games. I've seen people mentions theme in review before but the main purpose of doing that is ultimately to explain how good the story writing really is.

Review is mainly to express opinion only. Discussion requires interaction of two or more different persons. You can do that in forum thread where you click the quote button on the person you address/discuss with. Review does't do that. While both review and discussion expressing opinion, there are still differences between those two.
ZapredonJan 19, 2017 7:28 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jan 19, 2017 7:28 AM

May 2015
Zapredon said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Sorry, but fact for the matter is, that is what review all about. They talk about how good anime really are. Not just for anime but also for movies or video games. I've seen people mentions theme in review before but the main purpose of doing that is ultimately to explain how good the story writing really is.

Review is mainly to express opinion only. Discussion requires interaction of two or more different persons. You can do that in forum thread where you click the quote button on the person you address/discuss with. Review does't do that. While both review and discussion expressing opinion, there are still thin line between those two.

Such reviews are crap, dull, useless and why the art of criticism isn't taken seriously. Imagine what happened if every reviewer did more than just tell you how good the show is. Wouldn't it be more interesting?
Jan 19, 2017 7:33 AM

Aug 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
Zapredon said:

Review is mainly to express opinion only. Discussion requires interaction of two or more different persons. You can do that in forum thread where you click the quote button on the person you address/discuss with. Review does't do that. While both review and discussion expressing opinion, there are still thin line between those two.

Such reviews are crap, dull, useless and why the art of criticism isn't taken seriously. Imagine what happened if every reviewer did more than just tell you how good the show is. Wouldn't it be more interesting?

Don't care. Up for the reviewer to decided. Highly doubt it will make any difference since adding more text will cause tl;dr making people ignore review. Review exist in the first place for the purpose to express the opinion of someone how good or bad something really is.
ZapredonJan 19, 2017 7:51 AM

Jan 19, 2017 11:17 AM

Jun 2015
I enjoy reading them while or after watching a series to get the opinion from others, I wish you could comment on a review
Jan 19, 2017 12:39 PM

Jun 2015
People still read reviews. MAL could have them displayed a lot better, and there could be a better friend feed so that you could keep up with when someone posts them. But it's not terrible.

Jan 19, 2017 12:48 PM
May 2016
Sakuyasama1000 said:
@Shoryu sorry but im not an fanboy im art lover XD and cowboy Bebop is really good my first anime

My first anime was Rosario + Vampire and because of that it ended up being more memorable to me. That's probably why the first anime people watch is rated higher up on the list than others. So keep in mind, even if it were a really good show, not critiquing it and only praising it is something a fanboy would do. You sort of have to break it down before writing an 11 page emotional except on why Boku no Pico was your favorite anime because of the plot xD. Not saying that's unacceptable but you kind of have to look at both sides of the spectrum.
Jan 19, 2017 2:05 PM

Jan 2015
Reviews don't make sense when you can watch the first episode and drop the show if you didn't like it.
They would be popular if you had to buy an anime before knowing if you like it or not.
That's why amazon reviews are popular because most of the cost for an item is upfront so it pays a lot to read reviews.
A curve including all entries should be of a gaussian form. One including limited entries by picking animes you liked and not rating animes you dropped should look like mine.
Amount of total animes each rating should have (percentages): 6-25,7-15,8-6,9-3,10-1
Jan 19, 2017 2:29 PM
Sep 2015
kamalashki said:

man MAL looks for volunteers for "rewrite team" and lie to people "10 milion unique visitors"
admin makes a lot of money but when it comes to upgrades...

If you read the post properly, its for writing synopsis that they have a write up team, its a great way for a community to take part helping a website that they use.
I think you are over-estimating how much money is made.

Anyway, for me, reviews are good if I can't decide whether or not to watch a show based on synopsis, tags, and pictures. I usually read them all because *every*review is subjective. Just because its not a 10/9 or a 1/2 doesn't mean it wont be. By some people logic, if a show is so terrible noone rates it above a 2,then it would be impossible to review it well because shows with 1's or 2's are "triggered" or something like that.
Watch Nichijou
Jan 19, 2017 2:35 PM

Dec 2015
ZettaiRyouikiA said:
Why should I care what somebody thinks when I can just watch the show, wow?

Nice one... easier that way right??
"It’s so ri-ri-diculous that I h-hope you understand even if I st-st-stutter, my t-t-talking ability is a little lacking
Still I wanted to at least s-speak co-co-correctly but my mouth keeps getting c-c-crooked because I lo-lo-love it so much, love it so mu-much "

[signature]
Jan 19, 2017 5:50 PM
Aug 2015
Personally, I read the negative reviews of shows I really like when I see them because I wonder what they didn't like about them. Sometimes I look at the show in a new way and realize its flaws, but most of the time I sit there in angry silence and get unjustifiably mad at the person who wrote the reviews.
Jan 20, 2017 8:53 AM

May 2015
Zapredon said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Don't care. Up for the reviewer to decided. Highly doubt it will make any difference since adding more text will cause tl;dr making people ignore review. Review exist in the first place for the purpose to express the opinion of someone how good or bad something really is.

You don't have to add tons of texts. You can say it in 700 words. You just say less 'I like' and more 'what it means'.

People being stupid doesn't make smart content invalid or irrelevant.
Jan 20, 2017 9:37 AM

Aug 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
Zapredon said:

You don't have to add tons of texts. You can say it in 700 words. You just say less 'I like' and more 'what it means'.

The fact that you want to add something else other than how good an anime is in review means that you will always need to add extra words. 700 additional words can also tl;dr. They are not being stupid. They just don't see any point in it. It's better if they watch and judge the show themselves rather than letting other people putting words in their mouth or opinion. No need for you to be salty just because people don't care about review.

Jan 21, 2017 2:04 AM

May 2015
Zapredon said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

The fact that you want to add something else other than how good an anime is in review means that you will always need to add extra words. 700 additional words can also tl;dr. They are not being stupid. They just don't see any point in it. It's better if they watch and judge the show themselves rather than letting other people putting words in their mouth or opinion. No need for you to be salty just because people don't care about review.

Wait

You think a review's purpose is to tell people how to think?
Jan 21, 2017 2:21 AM

Jun 2015
I dont really listen to reviews about most stuff since somone could absolutely hate something, but i'll like it.

But to be honest, a huge amount of reviews on this site are pointless. Theres too many elitists slamming something simply because they didn't like one element of it. And theres a load of reviews which are just pointless all together. I saw a review on here once, can't remember what it was reviewing, but all it said was 'I liked this anime'. Dafuq? Whats the point?
Jan 21, 2017 2:50 AM

Aug 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
Zapredon said:

Wait

No. I mean the purpose of people reading review.People read review as a form of recommendations etc to know how good an anime really is but in the end, they will watch and decide for themselves whether it's good or not regardless of what the reviewer say.

Scooty-Bby said:
I dont really listen to reviews about most stuff since somone could absolutely hate something, but i'll like it.

Yup. Basically this.
ZapredonJan 21, 2017 3:03 AM

Jan 21, 2017 3:07 AM

Aug 2011
Not everyone cares about them, but if someone just wants a quick overview of what most people think to avoid watching something bad, well, they're there. Could also use them to read about things you might not have noticed while watching. So they're of some use.

But personally, I only care to occasionally read the obviously shitposting reviews. I'd just rather take the time to watch it than read a long review.

Jan 21, 2017 4:28 AM

Oct 2011
The review system of MAL has changed, so reviews rarely blow up unless it's controversial or it echoes the thoughts of the majority.
Jan 22, 2017 1:52 AM

May 2015
Zapredon said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Wait

No. I mean the purpose of people reading review.People read review as a form of recommendations etc to know how good an anime really is but in the end, they will watch and decide for themselves whether it's good or not regardless of what the reviewer say.

Scooty-Bby said:

Yup. Basically this.

Do they think this is the review's purpose because that's all they see, or because they genuinely think that's the purpose of a review?

Chicken and the egg thing.
Jan 22, 2017 2:03 AM

Nov 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Do they think this is the review's purpose because that's all they see, or because they genuinely think that's the purpose of a review?

Interesting way to think about it. Put it this way, are "MAL reviews" even really reviews? Or is it just a bunch of text some user submitted into the reviews section of MAL.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 22, 2017 4:49 AM

Aug 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
Zapredon said:

Yup. Basically this.

You mean where people read review as recommendation? I don't know but if you read what posters here said in previous page, they did mention about 'recommendation'.

Jan 22, 2017 4:55 AM
Dec 2016
I read a review first before starting an anime. If the most helpful review says it bad, then I won't watch it.
Jan 22, 2017 12:47 PM

Sep 2009
Few years ago when?

Been here since 09 and although not proactive in checking and reading reviews but the times I do it's always 2-3 people who actually bring some insight and the rest just parrot what happens in the show and how they like it. Much less of a review than an opinionated sum of thoughts.

Don't even get me started on the recommendations......
Jan 22, 2017 12:55 PM

Dec 2016
LordLagann said:
Few years ago when?

Been here since 09 and although not proactive in checking and reading reviews but the times I do it's always 2-3 people who actually bring some insight and the rest just parrot what happens in the show and how they like it. Much less of a review than an opinionated sum of thoughts.

Don't even get me started on the recommendations......

I wasn't talking about the quality of reviews, just the attention they had.
Jan 22, 2017 1:03 PM

Sep 2009
Creatiwiti said:

When you mentioned popularity though helpfulness I assumed quality is implied. I mean how helpful can a shitty review be?
Jan 22, 2017 2:29 PM

Dec 2016
LordLagann said:
Creatiwiti said:

When you mentioned popularity though helpfulness I assumed quality is implied. I mean how helpful can a shitty review be?

But "helpfuls" are just what the reviews are rated with. Just like with youtube likes or something. There are more than enough shitty reviews with massive helpfuls.
Jan 23, 2017 12:29 AM

May 2015
Zapredon said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

You mean where people read review as recommendation? I don't know but if you read what posters here said in previous page, they did mention about 'recommendation'.

I know, but I ask which came first? And does it prevent reviews from doing more than consumer's advice?
Jan 23, 2017 4:01 AM

Aug 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
Zapredon said:

I know, but I ask which came first? And does it prevent reviews from doing more than consumer's advice?

It seems to be one of the purpose judging from the posters here. Can review do more than just consumer's advice? Well, maybe if you want to learn other people opinion about that anime, then review can serve as that purpose too.

However, if you ask can review make impact on anime industry, then definitely no.

Jan 23, 2017 3:01 PM
Jan 2017
LelReaper said:
Sakuyasama1000 said:
@Shoryu sorry but im not an fanboy im art lover XD and cowboy Bebop is really good my first anime

My first anime was Rosario + Vampire and because of that it ended up being more memorable to me. That's probably why the first anime people watch is rated higher up on the list than others. So keep in mind, even if it were a really good show, not critiquing it and only praising it is something a fanboy would do. You sort of have to break it down before writing an 11 page emotional except on why Boku no Pico was your favorite anime because of the plot xD. Not saying that's unacceptable but you kind of have to look at both sides of the spectrum.

Im no saying cowboy Bebop is the best in the world plua Boku no pico is dangerous for humanity XD
Jan 24, 2017 7:24 AM

May 2015
Zapredon said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

It seems to be one of the purpose judging from the posters here. Can review do more than just consumer's advice? Well, maybe if you want to learn other people opinion about that anime, then review can serve as that purpose too.

However, if you ask can review make impact on anime industry, then definitely no.

Many fields had their influential critics, so why can't anime have one?
Jan 24, 2017 8:45 AM

Aug 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
Zapredon said:

You can always have critics in every field, the only question is whether they matter or not.

Jan 24, 2017 8:49 AM
Oct 2016
Maybe it's just the reviews I've seen, but I feel like a lot of the time, things are judged too harshly. I can understand giving a slightly lower score if the animation is weird or if the music doesn't match the series but giving an anime a 3-4 JUST because of those reasons? That doesn't make sense to me. The only way I'd ever give an anime that low of a score or review is if the characters weren't relatable, the plot was garbage, etc. I'd rather watch an anime and find out for myself whether it was good or not because everyone has different tastes at the end of the day.
Jan 24, 2017 9:40 AM

Nov 2016
Personally, I read reviews all the time, especially when I'm about to watch the series (I read the non-spoiler ones ofc) and sometimes after I've watched it to see what other people think of it.
Jan 25, 2017 1:24 AM

May 2015
Zapredon said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

You can always have critics in every field, the only question is whether they matter or not.

A lot of what matters is because we think it matters, for various reasons. Many people say critics don't matter for the same reason they say philosophy doesn't matter - their feelings get offended when someone challenges their view.
Jan 25, 2017 2:55 AM

Aug 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
Zapredon said:

A lot of what matters is because we think it matters, for various reasons. Many people say critics don't matter for the same reason they say philosophy doesn't matter - their feelings get offended when someone challenges their view.

No. They don't care as in they didn't even bother reading review in the first place.

Jan 26, 2017 7:31 AM

May 2015
Zapredon said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

No. They don't care as in they didn't even bother reading review in the first place.

It's sad that they don't care, but then again we think the athlete is a bad motherfucker while the intellectual is just some 'pretentious elitist'.
Jan 26, 2017 8:04 AM

Aug 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
Zapredon said:

It's sad that they don't care, but then again we think the athlete is a bad motherfucker while the intellectual is just some 'pretentious elitist'.

It because no one will think you as intellectual base on cartoon or even movie.
ZapredonJan 26, 2017 9:02 AM

Jan 26, 2017 8:59 PM

Apr 2013
As far as MAL reviews go from personal experience is how much you think you can relate to them in predetermined opinions you think you 'might' have.
Reviews help imo, but I wouldn't let them rob you of something you might actually enjoy far more than the person who reviewed it. People care but opinions are varied it's hard to tell who they'll influence other than those who up-vote.
Sometimes the top review is pure shit and the anime is far better than they describe because opinions, or worse. It happens.
"A miracle... They're just glorious misunderstandings."
Jan 27, 2017 6:56 AM

May 2015
Zapredon said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

That's because people don't know how to recognize an intellectual. They're so sensitive that when someone can back up their opinions they cower "SUBJECTIVE SUBJECTIVE ELITIST ELITIST"
Jan 27, 2017 7:25 AM

May 2014
I realized that I don't need other people to reassure my taste in anime. I can just like what I like. Wanting other people to tell me that my favorite anime is good is just a sign of how insecure I am. Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion on things. That's why I no longer cares about reviews. But I still occasionally read them to find new shows to watch.

Jan 28, 2017 4:03 AM

Aug 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
Zapredon said:

That's because people don't know how to recognize an intellectual. They're so sensitive that when someone can back up their opinions they cower "SUBJECTIVE SUBJECTIVE ELITIST ELITIST"

Since when able to back up opinion in cartoon makes you intellectual?There is nothing from cartoon that can make you intellectual just like how there is nothing from cartoon that can make you look intelligence. Simple as that.
ZapredonJan 28, 2017 4:27 AM

Jan 28, 2017 4:31 AM

May 2010
do not care so much about reviews myself. i mean its other peoples opinions and they often are very different from my own. i only care abit more about reviews when im about to start a new manga.
Jan 28, 2017 4:39 AM

Oct 2016
I don't really read the reviews anymore.
They're usually full of spoilers, and are often biased.
Instead, I usually focus on the description and sometimes, the rating.
一緒に年を重ねよう。

Jan 28, 2017 5:02 AM

Jul 2016
The more hate a show has in reviews, the better it is.
Jan 29, 2017 2:44 AM

May 2015
Zapredon said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Since when able to back up opinion in cartoon makes you intellectual?There is nothing from cartoon that can make you intellectual just like how there is nothing from cartoon that can make you look intelligence. Simple as that.

Why do you think so?

They could've written off all literature is just some ink on paper.
Jan 29, 2017 3:19 AM

Aug 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
Zapredon said:

Why do you think so?

They could've written off all literature is just some ink on paper.

Because it just cartoon.I don't remember literature reviewer are seen as intellectual.

Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 2 hours ago

17 by creepylurker »»
10 seconds ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

194 by KeyiOs »»
27 seconds ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 7 hours ago

14 by 024 »»
1 minute ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

52 by Oofmastre9000 »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

18 by Memore »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.