Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Jan 20, 2017 3:37 PM

Jul 2016
Just look at my mean score. I think its pretty high considering how much ive watched
Jan 20, 2017 3:57 PM

May 2009
Psychedelicate said:
I'm really just curious.

Lately I've come across a few users - mostly those who've completed 600 anime or more - who seem to rate the majority of the anime they watch a 5 or less. But... why? Does age and the amount of anime you watch make you more critical/nitpicky? I haven't watched that much anime at all, so I'm generally easy to please, but that doesn't mean I haven't dropped any anime or don't have any anime I don't like.

Probably because they've watched too much and they got bored and are desperate for novelty that the industry isn't giving them.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 20, 2017 3:58 PM

Jan 2016
Psychedelicate said:
I'm really just curious.

Lately I've come across a few users - mostly those who've completed 600 anime or more - who seem to rate the majority of the anime they watch a 5 or less. But... why? Does age and the amount of anime you watch make you more critical/nitpicky? I haven't watched that much anime at all, so I'm generally easy to please, but that doesn't mean I haven't dropped any anime or don't have any anime I don't like.

It's really quite simple; the more you see, the harder you are to impress. Especially because people don't watch stuff randomly. Most people watch all the classics, critically acclaimed and popular shows before they get down to the nitty-gritty and flatline at average scores since most of the stuff produced in any medium isn't that good. If making great art was easy it would be less valuable, anyway. And of course it also depends on personal taste, some people are easily impressed by most of the art they consume (usually noobs) and some are the opposite (usually the veterans.)
Jan 20, 2017 4:05 PM

Jan 2016
i dont know about you guys but when i rate a show "6" it means i found the show "fine" and had some enjoyment watching it '-'
Jan 20, 2017 4:21 PM

Nov 2014
Lap1 said:
To me it usually seemed faster to just quote and delete (i'm also not really inclined to read and rewrite pseudo.)

Anyway sure thing is that it is absurdly edgy because absurdly excessive, in anything it does it is excessive grotesque and by the way it is portraying his stuff it is essentially a parody of corruption and absurdity but still it isn't that comic, when that girl was trashed and decapitated i had a slight 'lol' but it was still pretty harsh.
There is light hearted then edgy phase, from a narrative pov it isn't serious to do that, but the shock can be somewhat effective if just by being a so sudden event.

After that who knows why it is overdoing it, perhaps it is 4style, to elicit hate and ressent in you or because extreme corruption directly implies edge.

It might depends on how you're able to understand and accept how a show plays it, AgK is edgy corruption so it's edgy ok, i mostly didn't have a bad time watching it although i'd have been perfectly fine not watching it.

In brief the setting is so absurd that noone would passively buy it, but it is still seriously playing it, nothing wrong with that, fantasy can be written about anything, i'd say that being excessive naturally escuses a lot of the cheap stuff eg sudden change of tone. Likewise i don't have a problem with gintama, ttgl or sora no otoshimono, interestingly enough i have some about rezero though. Sometimes it's good to acknowledge the mix of seriousbusiness and wtf comedy whilst being able to care, this depends on how you're able to handle this kind of duality, i'd say that rezero is the only one failling for me.
Ah btw you mentioned Drifters, it is absurdly edgy too right? i cannot even acknowledge a show for anything else that just this when the MC's expression itself is already that edgy.

See, exactly the grotesque stuff and trying too hard to make us dissent the world is exactly where AgK is trying too hard.

As for Drifters, it's nowhere near as edgy as AgK. Rather than try so damn hard to make us hate the "villain" before killing them off, it's more of a somewhat realistic take to how warfare is. As well as the main character's samurai ideals of not attacking people after they surrender, seppuku for the losing "leader" and punishment for the disgraceful actions of those they won over. Hardly is it as edgy as AgK and its "the big fat ugly general rapes a women, then rips her in half because lol"
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 20, 2017 5:44 PM

Jun 2013
BurningSpirit said:

See, exactly the grotesque stuff and trying too hard to make us dissent the world is exactly where AgK is trying too hard.

i guess that's pov~ I cannot feel insulted by this show 1 dimensional view since it is so grotesque but it is indeed pretty cheap, i do get insulted by shigatsu and rezero though, because those want to comes as realistic and coherent within a modern world.
Jan 20, 2017 5:47 PM

Apr 2012
@Lap1
rezero though, because those want to comes as realistic and coherent within a modern world.
Since I want to put my theory in action, what exactly is incoherent inside Re:Zero?

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jan 20, 2017 6:32 PM

Mar 2008
Immahnoob said:
@Lap1
rezero though, because those want to comes as realistic and coherent within a modern world.
Since I want to put my theory in action, what exactly is incoherent inside Re:Zero?

The dumb dumb MC loves the wrong waifu, duh. Everyone knows this.
Jan 20, 2017 6:41 PM

Jun 2016
@Immahnoob This is the best post I've seen on the subject.

Jan 20, 2017 6:43 PM

Apr 2012
Ckan said:
Immahnoob said:
@Lap1

The dumb dumb MC loves the wrong waifu, duh. Everyone knows this.

Don't be ridiculous!
Everyone knows he loves the really stinky witch!

Autocrat said:
Jan 20, 2017 6:59 PM

Apr 2013
with a 1-10 scale, average should always be a 5, but people don't see that and think a 7-8 are average ratings
Jan 21, 2017 2:11 AM

May 2015
A-S-U-K-A said:
with a 1-10 scale, average should always be a 5, but people don't see that and think a 7-8 are average ratings

I think that's because people are fairly selective about the anime they choose to watch, so they watch mostly decent anime.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 21, 2017 5:18 AM

Apr 2012
A-S-U-K-A said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
A-S-U-K-A said:

I think that's because people are fairly selective about the anime they choose to watch, so they watch mostly decent anime.
Or maybe it's because scores are personal and no one gives a shit?

My average is 5 but only as a concept, I do use scores from 1 to 6 included besides 7 to 10. Almost nothing has 1 to 6 though because I don't see them as less than 7.
If Anime and the score system would have been made to reach an average of 5, then certainly, I'd agree that the average should be 5, but since that's impossible to do, then it's clearly ok for it to not be 5.

Autocrat said:
Jan 21, 2017 5:28 AM

Sep 2016
It might be just because they know what they like. I havent watched a lot too so i am still exploring all the genres and what they have to offer but when people have watched a certain amount of shows they understand what is more enjoyable to them based on their tastes.
Jan 21, 2017 10:20 AM

Nov 2015
I never drop a show so.. I always have 5 4 3 in my ratings.

Jan 21, 2017 5:17 PM
Oct 2012
Psychedelicate said:
Does age and the amount of anime you watch make you more critical/nitpicky?

Yes and no. I wouldn't exactly call it critical or nitpicky, though it does have element of both, rather it's just that most pop-cult is formulaic, and having watched plenty of animation, we have already seen most of the formulas.

Now, when I say "formulaic", please don't think this is an insult, even 5 years someone needs to re-create these formulas for new viewers. This is a noble endeavor, but it is only natural for someone to have witness this renewal 3-7 times (depending on age) to grow a bit weary of them.
Jan 21, 2017 5:37 PM
Sep 2016
Actually, I have an anecdote to share that supports the observation that the West is beginning to be a bit more openminded and critical about this medium.

I used to be a TA for a highschool Fantasy and Sci Fi class that was offered to seniors as an alternative to English. Anyways, we watched "Ghost in the Shell". The teacher explained to the students that the film inspired many dystopian Western films, like The Matrix, and held a discussion circle on what themes and other literary devices were present in the anime and how it relates to modern society. It was really interesting to witness the discussion.

Just an anecdote, nothing else....
Jan 21, 2017 10:36 PM

Apr 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:

or maybe it's that they've always watched bad series and their selective "taste" hasn't delved too much out of it, so they've rated most series that they've watched higher than someone more critical and with higher standards would
Jan 21, 2017 10:44 PM

Apr 2013
you know who else doesn't practice a little discrimination, sluts, are you a slut
Jan 22, 2017 1:41 AM

May 2015
A-S-U-K-A said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

or maybe it's that they've always watched bad series and their selective "taste" hasn't delved too much out of it, so they've rated most series that they've watched higher than someone more critical and with higher standards would

That's possible, too. Many people don't like to engage in critical thought. They reach a conclusion - like it or not - and end the thought process there.
Jan 22, 2017 1:50 PM

Jun 2013
Immahnoob said:
@Lap1

Give it to me.

Rezero want to fit himself within some kind of realistic and coherent world by downgrading the usual fantasy, we can pretty much agree that rezero is definitely trying to subvert a lot, reversing the usual stuff, for that it obviously put emphasis on heavy consequences, to try to counter a few glorified fantasy.
But wanting to be the opposite of something somehow 'glorified' screw up your realism and comes as exagerated and unnatural, this is edgy bro, really comical for some but disturbingly lolwtf.

But it is also unatural narratively, everything happen so suddently and successively one after the other, dude never ask any obvious question about this world, what exactly is the witch and her fanclub, their history, everyone seems to know about the witch and they don't seem to care, the dude smell like her but it doesn't annoy people, he got trashed out of nowhere by that "cardboard character filled up with implanted cute and yanderish development in order to nominate her as best girl cuz it's unsuspected thus subversive"-thing, and subaru's mindstate is all over the place, death seem to hurts only when he wants it,a fter some time he finally goes edgelord on a cliffhanger to in fact instantly returning to the 'i don't wanna died, spare me pretty plz', wtf allo script? Ah also, i didn't had much problem with the first 3 episode but ep 1 subaru arrives in and is like " i'm the hero of a fucking rpg world", *proceed to try magi, fail* "ok it's no", later " everyone is a fucking lvl 90 paladin but i'm the true MVP, believe it!", and this is the mind state of the entire serie each fucking episode for each fucking character, event and anything.

Overall pretty much a AgK except that AgK is straight edge everytime just like kabaneri so it's coherently acceptable as such, however rezero want to keep screaming it is realistic while vomiting edge on your face at every corner, you cannot be taken seriously that way either and it is even more disdainful and disgusting.
Jan 22, 2017 3:00 PM

Apr 2012
@Lap1
But wanting to be the opposite of something somehow 'glorified' screw up your realism and comes as exagerated and unnatural, this is edgy bro, really comical
Sure, I can agree that Re:Zero tried to subvert some fantasy elements right from the start, that's pretty obvious from episode 1. Some Isekai tropes are pretty much flipped over.

But how come you jumped to the conclusion that it became exaggerated and unnatural without even trying to exemplify? I watched the show and I've read the web novels, I'm sure I can take a few spoilers.
But it is also unatural narratively, everything happen so suddently and successively one after the other
As I said before, I watched it, you can give me as many examples as you want. I'm not sure what exactly happens so fast for you, but from what they told us, the timeline is pretty big. The first arc takes place in a day and the second arc begins after another day, without taking into consideration any resets.

The second arc takes place in 6 days and a month passes between arc 2 and 3.
Arc 3 takes place in another week or so and I don't think you care about arc 4 since it's a spoiler and it isn't covered in the Anime.
I don't see anything unnatural or fast in this, and I'm certain you have an issue with arc 2 and arc 3, so let's get into those two. Arc 2 is Subaru being unable to earn the households trust initially, made worse by the attacks of the ulgarms. Arc 3 is Subaru being unable to communicate and being too prideful on top.

The only random thing that has happened in all of this to say "it happened suddenly and successfully" would be the ulgarms appearing. Otherwise everything else is completely normal.
dude never ask any obvious question about this world,
What did he miss? He asked everything he thought was relevant to his situation.
what exactly is the witch and her fanclub
That's covered in Arc 3 entirely. As for the Witch, he does ask about her. People don't know much about her besides hearsay and of course, besides those related to the witch, but that's a spoiler for Arc 4 and onward.
everyone seems to know about the witch and they don't seem to care
No, what people do know is a bit about the Witch Cult, but they're also shrouded in mystery. If your issue here is Arc 3, no one expected them to be an issue, nor was it relevant information until the supposed attack and appearance of the whale which was tied to the Witch Cult but wasn't a certain tie to them.

It would be a spoiler if I'd tell you who exactly knows what and why they keep their mouth shut, well, their information is not that relevant to any of the arcs and they're never asked because it's exactly irrelevant. What Subaru finds out later isn't a big deal to us (it answers some questions but poses some others), not even in the web novels do we know much about Satella, and they have 6 arcs going.
There's an overarching plot that is further explained in arc 4 though. I think you can say there are several overarching plots though.
the dude smell like her but it doesn't annoy people
Because not everyone can actually smell him. For example, Ram can't smell Subaru. Rem and Beatrice can. We don't know if Puck can but it's doubtful. This is an important plot point.
he got trashed out of nowhere by that "cardboard character filled up with implanted cute and yanderish development in order to nominate her as best girl cuz it's unsuspected thus subversive"-thing
At this point I'm certain you're not fit for critical analysis. The reason he was trashed was not out of nowhere. He tried to redo the same actions he did previously so he gets the same result, so he intentionally avoided work to seem less competent. That raised some flags for Ram and she complained, making him more suspicious, besides that, what triggered Rem was the fact he smelled like the witch and he was getting closer to Ram.

Also, uh, Tappei never actually expected this type of reaction from the fans, so her personality wasn't made intentionally for that purpose, nor is that a case of "subverting" anything.
and subaru's mindstate is all over the place, death seem to hurts only when he wants it
It always does actually. He never really gets rid of his fear of death. So I'm not sure where you're getting this, it's never portrayed otherwise in the Anime unless the front he puts up somehow fooled you too. Though, that would be rather odd, are you ignoring his internal monologues or something?
,a fter some time he finally goes edgelord on a cliffhanger to in fact instantly returning to the 'i don't wanna died, spare me pretty plz', wtf allo script?
You mean the scene with the whale? He mustered some courage to get at Otto, Otto punched him in the face, he felt a ton of pain from the fall and then he understood that his heart is not made out of iron.
It's called being rash, to the point of being an idiot.
Ah also, i didn't had much problem with the first 3 episode but ep 1 subaru arrives in and is like " i'm the hero of a fucking rpg world", *proceed to try magi, fail* "ok it's no", later " everyone is a fucking lvl 90 paladin but i'm the true MVP, believe it!", and this is the mind state of the entire serie each fucking episode for each fucking character, event and anything.
This is an actual case of subversion though. He acts that way because that's what he would have expected from all the fantasy LNs and Manga he's read, Arc 2 and 3 wake him up from that attitude, especially Arc 3.
His memeboy attitude though is just part of his personality, he tones it down later on anyway because he understands that its not in his best interest to be that way (although it's not exactly what you mention, that's the only thing that makes sense you'd be claiming he "always has" as an attitude).

This is another example of failing to critically analyze. To be clear, this is intended to be the case, that's one of the reasons Arc 3 happens at all, that's because while he is special, it's not the type of special he is thinking about and he lets his pride take the best of him. He's meant to be self-absorbed to then get over it, it's part of his faults as a character.
From all this, I get that you don't like Subaru's character at all.
Overall pretty much a AgK except that AgK is straight edge everytime just like kabaneri so it's coherently acceptable as such
I've also noticed that you like to use "edge" but not exactly tell me what "edge" is. There's some pretty clear cut explanations for what is happening. Or are you saying "drama" as a genre is "edgy" or something?
The two examples you gave me don't really tell me much. I could see what you mean in AgK, e.g. the rapes and murders and how they're portrayed (over the top), but Kabaneri reaches nowhere near AgK (nor would I call it "edgy") and Re:Zero has no modicum of similarity to how both of these shows are portrayed.

Actually, thinking about it, nothing reaches AgK at its own terms. Not even Gantz.
"Edgy" is a term I don't like because it's vague. Explain it.
however rezero want to keep screaming it is realistic while vomiting edge on your face at every corner
So I'd assume "edgy" is unrealistic in this case? Is your issue the fact that Emilia is being targeted because she's someone that can be elected Queen? Or because she's targeted as a half-elf by the cult?
you cannot be taken seriously that way either and it is even more disdainful and disgusting.
If you say so, bro. It's pretty hard to get on with your analysis. It's pretty stale and doesn't explain anything.

Autocrat said:
Jan 24, 2017 12:14 PM

Jun 2013
Immahnoob said:

But how come you jumped to the conclusion that it became exaggerated and unnatural without even trying to exemplify?

Oh but you do have your best example of it, the betltegeuse x subaru x rem x twister, fuck me was it supposed to be dramatic? I sure laughed way more than what the theory wanted to do. Otherwise from memory i could add rem x subaru x mace during mansion arc and yandeHornedRem, whale's fight is a joke from beginning to end. I just rewatched some part of the mansion arc, still cannot understand why subaru had his life drained away first and then it is the girl.

After my first reply i checked some review and they effectively describe the same problems: sensationalizing, characters arcs don't happen naturally, forcing tone, mental breakdown switch on/off, anime is just hot air.

The second arc takes place in 6 days and a month passes between arc 2 and 3.
You go from events to events, events keep spawning out of the blues but problem is that you still don't know shit about this world.

Arc 2 is Subaru being unable to earn the households trust initially

His murder is justified by the "unknow people have to be killed" and the rem is a cute and fine maid (+optionnaly a psycho) that follow rules but also happens to act independentely.

Arc 3 is Subaru being unable to communicate and being too prideful on top.

This is supposed to jusify why he doesn't ask obvious questions and instant murdering in the slight chance that he would be an OP demon in disguise.
There is way too much forcing even if it is to build a "You shouldn't be an ass to people." because it brings problems and you won't have anyone to help you, and this is because it want to build a meaning out of it that it is annoying.

The only random thing that has happened in all of this to say "it happened suddenly and successfully" would be the ulgarms appearing. Otherwise everything else is completely normal.
I wrote succesfully? I meant successively~
The killing in the mansion is pretty sick, next days it's dogs that ae supposed to be why he died, just after that beltegeuse? then have to go to queen's selection, then a whale appears.

dude never ask any obvious question about this world,
What did he miss? He asked everything he thought was relevant to his situation.

Well you right he effectively asked "What the deal about my scent?" And people said well whatever.
Otherwise why the cult doesn't seem to be a problem, i don't understand how a cult can mess around and even go to your mansion and kill you, noone is in charge of dealing with renegade or something? but well again everything happens so suddently.

That's covered in Arc 3 entirely. As for the Witch, he does ask about her. People don't know much about her besides hearsay and of course, besides those related to the witch, but that's a spoiler for Arc 4 and onward.

So smelling like this isn't common but it isn't enough to become relevant.
Rem didn't inform anyone else about that smell and beatrice don't give a fuck, in the end it's "you smell like shit, that's kinda ok but also kinda not."

everyone seems to know about the witch and they don't seem to care
No, what people do know is a bit about the Witch Cult, but they're also shrouded in mystery. If your issue here is Arc 3, no one expected them to be an issue, nor was it relevant information until the supposed attack and appearance of the whale which was tied to the Witch Cult but wasn't a certain tie to them.

Really? Why making so much a fuss about emilia being The Satella and she's discriminated for that, the mansion seem still fully wary of that cult, they know they the backstory of the maids, that cult did massacre an entire village.

I think you can say there are several overarching plots though.
You don't say.

he got trashed out of nowhere by that "cardboard character filled up with implanted cute and yanderish development in order to nominate her as best girl cuz it's unsuspected thus subversive"-thing
At this point I'm certain you're not fit for critical analysis.
Oh why's that? I think i pretty much nailed Rem's character~

The reason he was trashed was not out of nowhere. He tried to redo the same actions he did previously so he gets the same result, so he intentionally avoided work to seem less competent. That raised some flags for Ram and she complained, making him more suspicious, besides that, what triggered Rem was the fact he smelled like the witch and he was getting closer to Ram.

"His murder is justified by the "unknow people have to be killed right now" and the rem is a cute maid (also a psycho) that follow rules but also happens to act independentely." Also beatrice could have warn subaru or the mansion, it could have avoid some problems.
Sure thing you can extrapolate an important lesson: Comunication is fundamental.

Also, uh, Tappei never actually expected this type of reaction from the fans

That's unfortunate, but bringing the last waifu choice with no-personality to first place waifu through muh 'development' with muh schizophrenia muh personalities is pretty rough. Btw remind me of that "old bodyguard of the mansion" 's backstory that is in essence fairly cute but is dropped like a hair on your soup.

so her personality wasn't made intentionally for that purpose

How Rem overshadow every other character thanks to subaru's 'love' for her, even the main heroine, to end up wit a screw you i love emilia~ That's fairly tickling your witcher's senses.

nor is that a case of "subverting" anything

Perhaps unconsciously~ Perhaps the author himself already became subversion itself!

and subaru's mindstate is all over the place, death seem to hurts only when he wants it
It always does actually. He never really gets rid of his fear of death.

He went edgy, you thought he had finally understood but then he regressed into pussy-mode, same thing about death it was "it hurts" then suicide and the next time for whatever reason he has an absurd fear of death whereas he's not even being beaten up.

,a fter some time he finally goes edgelord on a cliffhanger to in fact instantly returning to the 'i don't wanna died, spare me pretty plz', wtf allo script?
You mean the scene with the whale? He mustered some courage to get at Otto, Otto punched him in the face, he felt a ton of pain from the fall and then he understood that his heart is not made out of iron.
No it was around betltegeuse.

Ah also, i didn't had much problem with the first 3 episode but ep 1 subaru arrives in and is like " i'm the hero of a fucking rpg world", *proceed to try magi, fail* "ok it's no", later " everyone is a fucking lvl 90 paladin but i'm the true MVP, believe it!", and this is the mind state of the entire serie each fucking episode for each fucking character, event and anything.
This is an actual case of subversion though. He acts that way because that's what he would have expected from all the fantasy LNs and Manga he's read, Arc 2 and 3 wake him up from that attitude, especially Arc 3.

The problem is that just with ep1 he seemed to have understood that he had no super powers, that nothing had changed but will still think he's somehow better than everyone to again relearn the same lesson later like 2 more times.

That's because while he is special, it's not the type of special he is thinking about and he lets his pride take the best of him. He's meant to be self-absorbed to then get over it, it's part of his faults as a character.
From all this, I get that you don't like Subaru's character at all.
Yea we all understood that he's a piece of shit, an irritating teenager that need to be bashed a hundred times to change a bit, that's kinda cute but i have a problem with how this development is done, the progressing isn't gradual or proportional, he crack down bcuz everyone dies then goes Avenger cuz girl got twisted to only going back to despair then it's something about fuck this i'm out lets run away with just this maido, oh you love me? ok fuk you better go back to emilia's route and beltegeuse.

Overall pretty much a AgK except that AgK is straight edge everytime just like kabaneri so it's coherently acceptable as such
I've also noticed that you like to use "edge" but not exactly tell me what "edge" is. There's some pretty clear cut explanations for what is happening. Or are you saying "drama" as a genre is "edgy" or something?

"Edgy" is a term I don't like because it's vague. Explain it.

Yea ofc i feel sorry for using such a 'generic' term but well acknowledged it is actually and accurately defining well this typical tone. Edgy is this way of overdoing it in an attempt to boost an emotional response. It can appear on character's facial expressions, their acting, the way violence is portrayed, any repetitive use and emphasis on shock value elements.

Kabaneri is definitely edgy, its dumb brutality, its dumb sick discrimation, 90% of the cast are hysterics.

To quote some reviewers about rezero:
Evil can't be expressed without outlandishly warped expressions. Happiness can't be felt without copious amounts of animated tears, a gust of wind, and painted on blushes. Insanity can't be expressed without darkened eye bags, manic expressions, and rape faces. Everything is calculated.
If the warped face of anger looks forced, then guess what: it's forced. If the happy moments felt a bit too inflated with random rose peddles flying around and kawaii-level faces, then guess what: it's inflated. If sadness felt unauthentic with instantaneous water works and elastic expressions at the drop of a hat, then guess what: it's unauthentic. You're not interpreting it wrong. That pang in the back of your head that tell you this is kinda overkill isn't "just you." Deep down you know what you're seeing is over exaggerated, and after time has settled and you reminisce about key events, that would become clearer than ever. Re:Zero is a novelty act that blinds you with flurries of action and plot twists, but the moments the spectacle is over, what would remain is the realization that what you held dear was nothing more than snake oil sold by a quick-witted businessman.

“Hey, the camera is shaking excessively. Hey, we're giving Suburu a manic expression, one step away from having him foaming at the mouth. Hey, we literally added a 10% darkness opacity filter to Suburu's color scheme. Hey, all of these scene compositions literally bathe Suburu in a constant shadow. Hey, his eyes are big and bulgy. HEY, HEY, HEY!! Do you get it yet!? Hey, are our actions to paint him in an obscure light after a big altercation with Emilia not made clear yet? Please reward us. Please tell us we're smart. I learned a 3-syllable word today! Please applaud my efforts!”

It didn't just carry around psychology like some fashion accessory, but it made it a very real thing for the viewers looking on and the characters that took the plunge into the never-ending spiral of irrational flatlining.

Re:Zero also takes pleasure in tinkering with delirium, but refuses to dive truly into it. It glorifies the main character's mental breakdown, turning it on and off at the whims of the script writers. With something as easy as a pep talk and hug from LoveInterest#2 being all that's needed to make things better, it's really hard to justify the "psychology" that Re:Zero boasts about.

Setting tone and forcing tone aren't the same thing. You can't give birth to natural reactions by simply pumping your content full of steroids to make it blossom faster. Anything worth having should come to fruition on its own merits through the course of the narrative.
It's trying to be symbolic; it's trying to interweave motifs; it's trying to create intrigue; it's trying to tinker with psychology... but, it's doing so in the most ham-fisted way possible. It fully rejects the idea of subtlety in every aspect imaginable, instead choosing to holler everything in an ostentatious display that's borderline masturbatory. A premature celebration of its accomplishments that's mired in the stench of hubris.

Rezero is unsubtle, have its characters emoting in boisterous ways, is an embarrassingly pompous try-hard.
Is a comical mess for those who do see beyond the smoke and mirrors.
It's a show that takes itself dead serious while being oblivious to the fact that it's anything but.
There're just scenes that are supposed to be tragic but just come across as ludicrous

Perhaps i'm lacking this poetic way of writing.
Lap1Jan 24, 2017 12:19 PM
Jan 24, 2017 1:21 PM

Apr 2012
@Lap1
Oh but you do have your best example of it, the betltegeuse x subaru x rem x twister, fuck me was it supposed to be dramatic? I sure laughed way more than what the theory wanted to do.
So you not liking the scene makes the scene exaggerated and unnatural? It was meant to bust Subaru's nuts because he was so "slothful" and I'd say it did that just fine.
Otherwise from memory i could add rem x subaru x mace during mansion arc and yandeHornedRem, whale's fight is a joke from beginning to end.
How so? What's bothering you here? I guess it's Wilhelm? I can't help you with your emotional reactions, that's not really the point of this.
If it's Wilhelm though, he's really overpowered and out for revenge, nothing else to say about that scene
still cannot understand why subaru had his life drained away first and then it is the girl.
Yeah, I'm not sure you're made for critical analysis. If you needed more spoonfeeding about that, it's pretty clear to me what the issue is.
He died from a curse, a curse that was put on him by the mabeast, the mabeast being the little puppy that bit him.
You go from events to events, events keep spawning out of the blues but problem is that you still don't know shit about this world.
So now you don't like how this is being narrated? It's another thing I can't help you with. What exactly do you need to know about the world? Everything's explained gradually as events happen. You get info about the mabeasts when the mabeasts attack, otherwise why would Subaru be told about them?

Seriously, it's obvious the characters will not know shit like this is happening. They all expect something except for Subaru until Arc 3. Do I really need to tell you this? Emilia is a contender to the throne, she's an important figure as a half-elf and for Lugunica's politics.
His murder is justified by the "unknow people have to be killed" and the rem is a cute and fine maid (+optionnaly a psycho) that follow rules but also happens to act independentely.
Yeah, the maids can act independently if they deem the situation appropriate for that. How did this go over your head?
This is supposed to jusify why he doesn't ask obvious questions
No, that's not what justifies him asking "obvious questions", what justifies it is that he did ask obvious questions and he either got no answer or vague ones.
and instant murdering in the slight chance that he would be an OP demon in disguise.
No idea where you're aiming with this, this does not make sense.
There is way too much forcing even if it is to build a "You shouldn't be an ass to people." because it brings problems and you won't have anyone to help you, and this is because it want to build a meaning out of it that it is annoying.
That's not actually the purpose of act 3 or rather, you're minimizing it so much to the point "NGE is an anime about mechas and vomit" is a good description and synopsis of Evangelion, line by line you're starting to show that maybe Anime is a medium a bit too advanced for you.
I wrote succesfully? I meant successively~
The killing in the mansion is pretty sick, next days it's dogs that ae supposed to be why he died, just after that beltegeuse? then have to go to queen's selection, then a whale appears.
The killing in the mansion is justified, it's the queen's selection first then Betelgeuse, to then have the White Whale appear because of Betelgeuse.
Betelgeuse wants Emilia killed for the purpose of taking her body for Satella, the White Whale is a mabeast and thus, made by the witch and it follows the Witch Cult (it's also used as a smokescreen, literally and non-literally). The Queen's Selection comes up because Felt was found out to be a contender to the throne too.

So you dislike anime having a plot or some shit now?
Well you right he effectively asked "What the deal about my scent?" And people said well whatever.
No, Beatrice told Subaru it's because he's blessed by the witch, she doesn't know more than that.
Otherwise why the cult doesn't seem to be a problem, i don't understand how a cult can mess around and even go to your mansion and kill you, noone is in charge of dealing with renegade or something? but well again everything happens so suddently.
You missed the parts in which they said the Cult uses the White Whale as a diversion, uses basic info manipulation to have their locations undiscovered, how they go after half-elves (and Emilia publicly went out as a half-elf during the Queen's selection, see the posters) and the cult is a problem, it's just that no one expected them to appear, since most of their attacks seem to be random.

Until you're told that they have a gospel that gives them instructions.
So smelling like this isn't common but it isn't enough to become relevant.
His smell depends on his deaths, that's why it's not relevant to most. He does not smell if he did not die recently and only a few can smell him. Beatrice has a spoiler reason for why she does not care and Rem only kills him because of it when he also acts overly suspicious besides smelling like the witch. That's because Rem is not actually a psycho, she's actually rather smart, she's always prepared to bash him to death, but waits to see if he actually is trustworthy or not.
Don't forget that he saved Emilia first and foremost, and Roswaal, her master, keeps him as a guest and worker. He has her reasons to doubt him but also doubt herself.

It's pretty fucking obvious, holy shit.
Really? Why making so much a fuss about emilia being The Satella and she's discriminated for that, the mansion seem still fully wary of that cult, they know they the backstory of the maids, that cult did massacre an entire village.
They don't think they're an issue as in they don't know they will actually appear for Emilia. They did not expect such a thing. Roswaal is also meant to be helping with defending the mansion.
As for Emilia looking like Satella and being discriminated against, that's another story entirely. It's irrelevant to this question.
If you really want a spoiler, then spoilers ahead:

Oh why's that? I think i pretty much nailed Rem's character~
Because you have no idea what's going on. Even on events that are spelled out for you in the Anime. You don't understand characters motivations, course of actions or personalities even when they're spelled out for you.
You're not really being objective at all, actually. All your criticisms are debunked by the show itself, AKA they're false mostly.
"His murder is justified by the "unknow people have to be killed right now" and the rem is a cute maid (also a psycho) that follow rules but also happens to act independentely." Also beatrice could have warn subaru or the mansion, it could have avoid some problems.
Sure thing you can extrapolate an important lesson: Comunication is fundamental.
Yeah no, as I said, you don't know much about the other characters when it's spelled out for you. Beatrice has no type of connection to him until the end of Arc 2. She doesn't care about him until slightly before the end of Arc 2 (specifically when he makes a contract with her).
That's unfortunate, but bringing the last waifu choice with no-personality to first place waifu through muh 'development' with muh schizophrenia muh personalities is pretty rough. Btw remind me of that "old bodyguard of the mansion" 's backstory that is in essence fairly cute but is dropped like a hair on your soup.
Here's another reason for why you fail at critical analysis, but I digress... First of, Rem does have a personality, but I'm not going to go into detail there because it's lengthy and pointless. If you've watched the show, you'd know that what you wrote here is pretty much drivel. You're also failing at noticing a trend throughout the arcs, and that is, the sins.
He went edgy, you thought he had finally understood but then he regressed to pussy-mode, same thing about death it was "it hurts" then suicide and the next time for whatever reason he has an absurd fear of death whereas he's not even being beaten up.
So you just don't like the fact that Subaru has a natural fear of death like pretty much every other human being? This is starting to be ridiculous. He'll always fear death, even throughout Arc 4, 5 and onward. I'm sorry, but you're asking for a development that can't happen. It's later explained in Arc 4 and in the Arc 4 extras, but it's shit you can deduce yourself if you'd use your brain.
No it was around betltegeuse.
The only time he goes like "I don't want to die" during Betelgeuse is when Rem is swallowed by the whale and Otto decks him. Otherwise I have no idea which scene you're mentioning.
The problem is that just with ep1 he seemed to have understood that he had no super powers, that nothing had changed but will still think he's somehow better than everyone to again relearn the same lesson later like 2 more times.
Remember return by death? I hope you do because that's been used throughout the Anime a few dozen times.
Yea we all understood that he's a piece of shit, an irritating teenager that need to be bashed a hundred times to change a bit, that's kinda cute but i have a problem with how this development is done, the progressing isn't gradual or proportional
Nor does it have to be.
he crack down bcuz everyone dies then goes Avenger cuz girl got twisted to only going back to despair then it's something about fuck this i'm out lets run away with just this maido, oh you love me? ok fuk you better go back to emilia's route and beltegeuse.
Yeah, he becomes rather violent, then falls into despair when he understands that he won't get any help, to then try to use Rem's feelings against her to then get refused because Rem isn't an idiot, to then understand why exactly Rem refused him and what he has to do to not fail the loop again.

It's a pretty obvious development, it happened in Arc 2 too.
Yea ofc i feel sorry for using such a 'generic' term but well acknowledged it is actually and accurately defining well this typical tone. Edgy is this way of overdoing it in an attempt to boost an emotional response.
But nothing was overdone, Tap. And boosting an emotional response is something that is good, that's what every book, anime, movie, etc try to do.
It can appear on character's facial expressions, their acting, the way violence is portrayed, any repetitive use and emphasis on shock value elements.
So I can define Re:Zero as not edgy because this has happened like twice throughout the show? Are you sure your definition isn't actually drivel and that this shit is just subjective crap you can find some "Anime objective reviewer" to spout out when he has no real anything of value to say?
Kabaneri is definitely edgy, its dumb brutality, its dumb sick discrimation, 90% of the cast are hysterics.
I didn't enjoy Kabaneri as much as other shows, but I fail to see where you've seen this. Everything you mentioned is justified by the grave situation the cast is in. The scenario itself, besides their specific situation justifies it, they're in a post-apocalyptic situation.
If the warped face of anger looks forced, then guess what: it's forced.
Whoever wrote this clearly knows how to make an argument. "It's X because it's X.", I won't even bother answering everything there, this already takes it for me.
Perhaps i'm lacking this poetic way of writing.
No, please don't learn to write that way. That drivel won't get you anywhere. He's basically saying "I dislike being given a description of what is happening, I really don't want that." to then be like "I don't understand what is going on, so I'll assume that the show copying a real life phenomenon is not copying it correctly.".

Autocrat said:
Jun 27, 2017 1:07 PM
Jan 2016
from what I've seen the majority of these people are pseudointellectual authoritarian idiots that seem to forget they're talking about cartoons and comic books on the internet not curing cancer
I'd rather die a free man then live under the rules of idiots
Jul 25, 2017 12:08 PM

Nov 2009
Ryuzar said:
flannan said:

"Mechanically using a standard is a bad idea".

Why is it a bad idea? Please elaborate more.

Looks like I did not reply to this post in time.

Anyway, it looks like you were actually asking about my answer to you,
flannan said:
Ryuuzahar said:
If I score them all 10/10 (which means not being critical at all), that just means you like everything and have no taste. Also, it means you don't look their quality compare to others as a medium. It's like you are implying Mona Lisa painting is the same with a random drawing by a random kid when you don't have standards in artwork.

In practice, I mostly see people claiming that Black Square is better than a random painting by a random Renaissance painter.

Here, I was talking about people having counter-productive standards, and saying that some inherently bad thing (like the infamous painting "Black Square") is better than something good (like a random Renaissance painting, which, while it might be not as great as Mona Lisa, actually depicts something).

But my main point in this discussion was that when judging a painting, it's useless to judge every stroke of paint. You have to pull back and see what they all depict.
That whole is best measured by enjoyment, not by any concrete measure like "plot holes" or "character depth" or "art style" or "animation quality".
Only once you know what the whole is, you can judge elements based on how they contribute or detract from the story.

SeasonADay said:
flannan said:

We don't get curveballs often, but dark horse anime with meaningless descriptions appear regularly.
But if somebody is mostly watching these dark horse anime, it's an unhealthy state, if you ask me.

Well, K-ON is exactly Cute Girls Doing Cute Things. In fact, it's one of the shows that gave the genre its recent popularity.
You might want to see Symphogear instead. Or one of the old shows about musicians like BECK.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear is the weirdiest anime I have started watching. It is official. 1/19/2017 Worse then K-on. Were you joking?

I wonder - do you still think so now, with over 300 anime under your belt?
From my point of view, Symphogear is a rather typical magical girl anime geared to appeal to guys. But its execution (especially the soundtrack) made it so good it's having its 4th season now.
flannanJul 25, 2017 12:12 PM
Jul 25, 2017 12:12 PM

Aug 2016
Because they're weirdos.

5 is understandable. Anything lower is questionable. At that point they are trying way too hard to prop up their favorites by essentially saying everything besides these select few are trash animes. Either that or they are participating in a hobby they don't even like for some reason.

Edit: Refering to mean scores.
Jul 25, 2017 12:24 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
I don't care that ppl are critical of anime... it's when they call everything trash and act as though there's something wrong with not prioritizing story/plot/character development that I have an issue
Jul 25, 2017 12:32 PM
Jul 2018
a lot of people who watch that ammount of anime tend to feel like they're some sort of authority in anime and rate "objectively" and not based on enjoyment, like myself
Jul 25, 2017 12:38 PM

Dec 2014
Because God sent us here with a mission. Some fall in love and make childrens... Some produce for the society... Others try to change the world and make it better... And then there's us, sent by the All Mighty to rate anime on MAL...
Jul 25, 2017 1:29 PM

Feb 2015
My mean score is 4.53. Let me explain my scoring.

I give pointless OVAs, recaps, experimental shorts, and rushed compilation films a 1 or a 2. I really just add these to my list because I can. Without them, my mean score would be above 5. These scores are also reserved for trashy light novel adaptations.

My 5s are for shows which do nothing good or bad. I try to base most my ratings off these. If a series is better than these, I will give it a 6 or a 7. If its worse, I give it a 3 or a 4. I enjoy many of these shows, but they have too many issues for me to rate higher. By having shows rated around a 5, more weight is placed on my highly rated shows.

8s and 9s are for outstanding series that have a noticeable flaw or two. I have a couple guilty pleasures here too, but I just can't bring myself to rate them any lower.

My 10s are obviously reserved for the cream of the crop. Sure, they have their weaknesses, but the flaws are mostly negligible and have little impact on the story and characters.
Jul 25, 2017 1:51 PM
Jul 2017
Having a mean score of 5 doesn't mean that these users haven't rated any anime above 5 either.

They just found themselves a lot of trash.
Jul 25, 2017 1:58 PM
Jul 2018
I think, it's about their personal tolerance for flaws. I could point out a dozen flaws of some of my favorite anime and manga, but it's easy for me to overlook them, if there are enough other elements I love. So, I score most of them between 6 and 8, if the flaws don't bring down my enjoyment. I'm very generous with those things in general.
Jul 25, 2017 2:42 PM

May 2015
Maneki-Mew said:
I think, it's about their personal tolerance for flaws. I could point out a dozen flaws of some of my favorite anime and manga, but it's easy for me to overlook them, if there are enough other elements I love. So, I score most of them between 6 and 8, if the flaws don't bring down my enjoyment. I'm very generous with those things in general.

I think we all compare flaws and virtues and how they relate. It's not enough for a show to have a flaw, but what matters is how it affects. So the characters are quite undeveloped, but why? Does it fit with the structure? Future Diary is an example I always use. It's extremely flawed, but it's so ambitious that you can forgive its flaws because of the wide reach.
Jul 25, 2017 2:45 PM
Jul 2018
TheBrainintheJar said:
Maneki-Mew said:

I think we all compare flaws and virtues and how they relate. It's not enough for a show to have a flaw, but what matters is how it affects. So the characters are quite undeveloped, but why? Does it fit with the structure? Future Diary is an example I always use. It's extremely flawed, but it's so ambitious that you can forgive its flaws because of the wide reach.

I'm sorry, I can't follow your Mirai Nikki argument, because I dropped it soon. The reason was a pink haired monster haha. ^^"
But if it's for you the case, it's pretty reasonable from your point of view to overlook the flaws, if the ambition, idea, premise or whatever dragged you in anyway. ^^
Jul 25, 2017 3:03 PM

May 2015
Maneki-Mew said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I'm sorry, I can't follow your Mirai Nikki argument, because I dropped it soon. The reason was a pink haired monster haha. ^^"
But if it's for you the case, it's pretty reasonable from your point of view to overlook the flaws, if the ambition, idea, premise or whatever dragged you in anyway. ^^

I wrote a really long review of it - 1.8K words. I'm sure it's quite incoherent, but it may give you an idea why I loved it compared to similar works - Deadman Wonderland - which I found to be crap. Read it and maybe give it a chance.
Jul 25, 2017 3:36 PM
Jul 2018
TheBrainintheJar said:
Maneki-Mew said:

I wrote a really long review of it - 1.8K words. I'm sure it's quite incoherent, but it may give you an idea why I loved it compared to similar works - Deadman Wonderland - which I found to be crap. Read it and maybe give it a chance.

Uh maybe one day. ^^ It's just based on enjoyment for myself and a MC I could hate is a huge enjoyment killer for me.
I had a hard time to make it through Death Note and Black Lagoon, especially Death Note in the second half. I know, I know, it's the premise that Light loses the rest of his sanity with the progress of the story, so I tried to watch it as an "outsider", who looks on the events from an emotional distant point. (I ended up with a 7 for both, because I didn't want to be unfair. ^^" I would Death Note even with 8 or 9 without the 2nd half)

---

To the topic: If I can't decide between two numbers, I give the higher score when...
... I love the OP, ED or another OSTs very much. I did this with Yuri on Ice and Kuroshitsuji for example. Even the Pokemon Lugia movie. XD Really, Lugia's symphony is just wonderful. I wanted to score Shinsekai Yori with 9, because Saki was a kinda boring protagonist to me, but one of the EDs is just very beautiful. Both, in picture (beautiful symbolism and its clever foreshadowing and the colors) and music.
... or the music in general in an anime about music like Love Live, Gravitation or Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso.
... or a special thing about the art, if I like the art in general... like the color scheme in No Game No Life and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso.
So I scored Shigatsu with a 10. Of course it had some things I didn't like. Kaori's suddenly outbursts of violence of example and some things were melodramatic, but + 1 for music and OP and +1 for the wonderful colors for me... so it got a 10 haha. ^^ and I wanted to score NGNL with 6, but the colors are too gorgeous to do such a terrible thing. :<

It's important for me to rate the music, synchro, the art style, the animation, colors etc... too. ^^
removed-userJul 25, 2017 3:40 PM
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 25 minutes ago

4 by alshu »»
21 seconds ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9065 by Baserleak »»
32 seconds ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

150 by ISeeLifePeople »»
2 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

37 by FanofAction »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Yesterday

59 by AzafuseKingTora »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.