Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 15, 2017 2:30 PM
Apr 2016
Does anyone else watch anime at 110% speed? In VLC or MPlayerX you can set the playback speed to 1.1x / 110% speed, which speeds everything up by 10%. I find it useful for boring parts.

Gundam is a good series, but it's even better when I don't have to watch all the boring talking parts. Also, it helps save time. After 10 episodes, that 10% adds up. And after 50 episodes... you get the point.

Edit: Anime is so much better when you speed it up 10%. Once you try it, you'll realize how much time you've wasted watching filler!
Allen750Jan 15, 2017 3:28 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 15, 2017 2:35 PM
Ribbit

May 2015
Oh no! Your days watched on MAL will be inaccurate!
More seriously, no, I've never done that. I tend to like the talking parts in anime, and I also like to pay attention to details, something I feel may be difficult if I watched it sped up - not that doing so was ever an option I considered until now. It's not like I'm in a rush to finish each episode.
SamfrogJan 15, 2017 2:39 PM
Jan 15, 2017 3:02 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I cringe everytime i read that someone actually speed up their anime to waste less time or skip ''boring parts'' that could be important to enjoy the anime more.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 15, 2017 3:04 PM

Jul 2014
I sped up Inferno Cop and it got funnier. Otherwise, no.
Jan 15, 2017 3:08 PM

Feb 2015
I don't watch series with 110% pacing or 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999% pacing of the story. I just watch it as it is, the normal way, no fast pacing shit, even if the series is boring. Or something like Naruto with tons of fucking flash backs, shit like that. Or Conan's series wherein, it follows the pattern every single time(as far as I can tell)... I mean dude, I don't wanna make mah lolis seen in the screen in their bathing suit and watch it in 200% pacing... I'm not that fast to fap. I take it slow...

So... To answer your question, I don't watch series fast forwardly, I just watch it the way it is, though if I didn't like the OP/ED I'll skip it.

Allen750 said:

Gundam is a good series, but it's even better when I don't have to watch all the boring talking parts. Also, it helps save time. After 10 episodes, that 10% adds up. And after 50 episodes... you get the point.

And no, I don't get the point if you ask me, I embrace the shitty things and good things in what I do, and if I watch series, those little things are what I embrace, and the series itself also... I guess you could say it as my form of "thanks" to the staff and the ppl who put their effects in making the series, doing stuff everyday, the artstyle and stuff like that, so yeah...

DatRandomDude said:
I cringe everytime i read that someone actually speed up their anime to waste less time or skip ''boring parts'' that could be important to enjoy the anime more.

exactly, especially when it comes the beach EP.. and it's ready... Ohhh the Holiness! Gracious God!

Samfrog said:

Please explain it a little more... I'm sure MAL doesn't care if ppl watch the series fast forwardly or normally...
_Ako_Jan 15, 2017 3:14 PM
Jan 15, 2017 3:15 PM

Dec 2015
Wouldn't it be easier to just not watch boring shows and instead watch something that doesn't make you feel like you're wasting your time?

However, watching at 90% speed can be helpful when watching without subtitles and trying to learn Japanese.
Jan 15, 2017 3:25 PM
Apr 2016
Such anime purists, lol. Don't be so butthurt.
Jan 15, 2017 3:27 PM

Dec 2015
Maybe if you watch at faster speed you are time traveling.
Jan 15, 2017 3:29 PM

Feb 2015
Nah, I'm watching my anime at regular speed.

Feb 2013
I never did it,lol.
What's the point in watching it like that anyway?
The talking parts are basically the plot of every single anime, so you are only going to watch the fights and skip all the dialogues?

Apr 2016
I only speed up anime if all three of the following conditions apply:

a) I'm at least halfway through the series
b) It's really bad and I see no possibility of it becoming better
c) I still feel some strange obligation not to drop it

Thus I rarely do it. Honestly, though, watching at a higher speed doesn't affect my perception of shows much at all. The only reason I don't do it for better shows is that it just feels wrong, like you're not getting the intended experience.

Edit: And yeah, OP, I don't blame you one bit for doing this. Most people who are steadfastly against it probably haven't tried speeding up and noticing how negligible of a difference it really makes in their enjoyment.
Jan 15, 2017 3:33 PM

Jul 2016
I only do that when my weekly watches are filled with a variety of meh to good shows. So I fast forward the mehs in order to get to the goods.
Jan 15, 2017 3:33 PM

Jul 2015
You do you OP. Not sure why you're getting bashed for saying you watch anime at an almost unnoticeable, but accountable increased speed.

It's perfectly fine for most if not all anime (especially slice of lifes, they tend to be slow paced, and sometimes you really want to move on).
idek_anymoreJan 15, 2017 3:48 PM
Living is a velleity, because ice cream is life.

Jan 15, 2017 3:34 PM

Jun 2014
The only time I've ever done this was to get through Bleach's fillers (watched at 2x speed and was still able to keep up relatively well). Other than that, I watch at normal speed, even if I don't like the show.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 15, 2017 3:36 PM

Jun 2012
You're not supposed to be watching Gundumb if you don't want to hear talking, guy, that's what the show's about: civil discourse.
Jan 15, 2017 3:41 PM

Apr 2014
I don't know why some people freak out here.
It's only 1.1x the speed. I'm pretty sure most of the things, if not everything, is easily comprehensible at that speed unless you're fucking retarded.
A stupid thread deserves a stupid answer!
Jan 15, 2017 3:42 PM
Apr 2016
If you know how anime is made, you should know there's going to be fillers and boring scenes. Not every director is a genius that makes every frame count. I don't watch boring anime, but I will fast forward through the blah blah blah.

Some of you pacing die-hards probably enjoy Marvel movies, even though they're like 75% talking and 25% action. Skiiiip, I came to see the $300 million CGI action scenes, not the blah blah scenes where the overpaid actors stand around and create "tension" or "build the plot."

I'm watching Iron-Blooded Orphans, 720p, on a Retina screen and I'm blazing through B_t's d___h. Lololol, I could care less. However, I didn't speed through Four's ____ in Zeta, because that shit was indeed sad.

If you think 10% increased speed will completely ruin the pacing and poops all over the studio/director's intent, get over yourself. I think anime is art/literature, but come on, we all know you're lying if you say you've never skimmed over a page or spaced out during a Golden Globe turdpile movie.
Jan 15, 2017 4:01 PM

Jun 2015
Ulquiorra said:
I never did it,lol.
What's the point in watching it like that anyway?
The talking parts are basically the plot of every single anime, so you are only going to watch the fights and skip all the dialogues?

I do it while watching Naruto, well did.

Well I did it because of the GODDAMN FUCKING PACING. It was so slow, it just changed scene after scene.

And btw I sped it up by 1.5%
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jan 15, 2017 8:13 PM

Apr 2011
loool I think I'm the first guy who used this method in 2009 or maybe old, now many ppl using it. I used it with the shitty anime, One Shit
Jan 15, 2017 8:20 PM
Jan 2013
300% speed with episodes playing on 5 different screens or go home
gone bai bai
Jan 15, 2017 8:35 PM

Mar 2014
I usually watch anime on 1.5/2x speed.

There are times when I binge as fast as 2.5x
Jan 15, 2017 8:51 PM
Jan 2014
[/quote]
movshad said:
Watching at 110% you're only making your show about 2 minutes shorter (assuming it's standard 25 minutes ep). Even if you skip opening and ending it makes 4 minutes in total. TV stations airing re-runs at 110% are doing this only to squeeze more ads in those 4 minutes. It doesn't make your completed list grow faster.

What?? Do they really do this shit??????????
Jan 15, 2017 8:52 PM

Aug 2013
110% is not enough for me, I start with 135% the first time, then 170 -> 240 and lastly 300 (since I can just press 3x times + on VLC)

I dunno if anyone realize, but there was couple of anime that slow normal conversation that I kinda feel slow with pause between lines, long establish short. (I think normally japanese speak very fast but have a lot of body language and empty phrase eto eto ano ne etc)

85% of anime I watched in my list was normal paced, it just lately (since mid late 2015) I pressing for more time to play video games instead so I need way to finish anime faster.

So I have choice of either:
1. Watch anime while doing something else (not 100% on it, but focus on hearing)
2. Give full attention and watch it at faster pace (problem listed on my signature)
3. Skip couple boring scenes rapidly (you can read subs, but you will missed on audio)
4. Drop the series (waste the bandwidth / HD you used to download it)
5. Watch normally, skip OP/ED/ Extra at the end (even it might have important plot info)

Sometimes I have to slow it down a bit depending series (current Tatami Galaxy is abit too fast)

*When watching manga, I also tend to skim page by page very fast and only glance at the graphics
**I admit I have hoarder/completionist mentality but that shouldnt hurt anyone else on the internet
Nah, i dont think sharing anime ratings in signature is cool thing.

Here, stare at this pointless signature instead.
Jan 15, 2017 8:57 PM

Jul 2015
_Ako_ said:
I don't watch series with 110% pacing or 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999% pacing of the story. I just watch it as it is, the normal way, no fast pacing shit, even if the series is boring. Or something like Naruto with tons of fucking flash backs, shit like that. Or Conan's series wherein, it follows the pattern every single time(as far as I can tell)... I mean dude, I don't wanna make mah lolis seen in the screen in their bathing suit and watch it in 200% pacing... I'm not that fast to fap. I take it slow...

So... To answer your question, I don't watch series fast forwardly, I just watch it the way it is, though if I didn't like the OP/ED I'll skip it.

Allen750 said:

And no, I don't get the point if you ask me, I embrace the shitty things and good things in what I do, and if I watch series, those little things are what I embrace, and the series itself also... I guess you could say it as my form of "thanks" to the staff and the ppl who put their effects in making the series, doing stuff everyday, the artstyle and stuff like that, so yeah...

DatRandomDude said:

exactly, especially when it comes the beach EP.. and it's ready... Ohhh the Holiness! Gracious God!

Samfrog said:

Please explain it a little more... I'm sure MAL doesn't care if ppl watch the series fast forwardly or normally...

You need to practice your fap speeds. Try a stop watch. I'll coach you.
Jan 15, 2017 9:02 PM
Jul 2015
Nah, if I'm at the point where I would need to speed it up to get through it I just stop watching.
Jan 15, 2017 9:23 PM

Aug 2009
I usually watch at 1.25 if possible. 1.5 it gets hard to keep up with subs.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 15, 2017 9:33 PM

May 2014
This lowkey tilts me.
It never even crossed my mind to try and speed up an anime.
Jan 15, 2017 9:35 PM

Jun 2015
If I'm watching moe, I'll usually speed up 1.2x-1.5x on a binge. Their voices are so high it doesn't even make a difference.
The person who said that the pen is mightier than the sword has clearly never heard of automatic weapons.

Jan 15, 2017 9:39 PM
Sep 2016
The only anime I've sped up was Anitore

Its only a couple of minutes long but by the time I got to episode 5 or something like that I was already pretty sick of it so I sped it up as fast as I could xD
Jan 15, 2017 9:39 PM

Feb 2013
yes
like with all real life projects, i feel many cartoons use various padding methods to reach the desired 22 minutes per episode

fuck that "intended experience" shit; it was more like "tanaka san, we need 3 more minute of stills to reach 22 mins... also slow down all voice actor by 0.05"
Jan 15, 2017 9:45 PM

Oct 2013
nah I don't do that because I'm too lazy to fix it
what I do instead is just skip ahead a little if whatever is happening feels really fucking stupid
like when the main girl of Little Witch Academia in the latest episode kept talking out loud how she finally arrived at the school when she has already been there for a whole day now
Jan 15, 2017 9:47 PM
Feb 2014
Ohmygod. That would be a good idea, especially for filler episodes. Maybe not for short series with zero fillers. I think it's important to keep to the normal pacing. But for long ones known for having fillers... I would have saved hours binge-watching Naruto if I'd just sped it up like by x1.2. (I don't like skipping parts. Never know when they slip in some important tidbit)

Weird thing is, I usually watch lectures at x1.5 speed to save time so it's funny this idea has never occurred to me before. Then again, I watch my anime online on Kissanime and the player there doesn't have the play speed adjustment setting so...
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
Jan 15, 2017 9:47 PM

Jun 2007
KuuhakuDesu said:
Allen750 said:

Gundam is a good series, but it's even better when I don't have to watch all the boring talking parts.

Do you mean the parts where you get to know more about the plot, and helps you understand what is actually happening? Why understand the story anyways, huh?
Don't fall for the bait:

OP states outlandish/controversial position ("plot and dialogue don't matter") to get reactions from people -->

OP uses backlash to that position to insult everyone in the thread, while positioning himself/herself superior to them ("lol butthurt anime purists")
Jan 15, 2017 10:06 PM
Jul 2018
Honestly I just want to enjoy the show for what it is. Boring dialogue? I find a way to enjoy it. Slow pace? I find a way to absorb the atmosphere and relax.

I know a lot of people do it to watch more, but I personally hate finishing shows because I want the feels and loveliness to last forever.

This is just my opinion, not sure why you made a thread about it tho .-.
Jan 15, 2017 10:14 PM

Dec 2012
I sat through 12 episodes of Bloodivores at normal speed because I'm a masochist and like torturing myself.
allo
Jan 15, 2017 10:19 PM

Sep 2014
I would never do that, I think it would mess up my rhythm for watching anime. I already can't watch some channels on youtube that I follow at anything less than 1.5x or 2x speed.

Also why would you speed through dialogue... It is part of the story.

Hajinnie said:
I sat through 12 episodes of Bloodivores at normal speed because I'm a masochist and like torturing myself.
Try 740+ episodes of one piece x.x Although at least the series isn't bad, but damn the pacing sure as hell is.
Jan 15, 2017 10:19 PM

Mar 2008
I occasionally watch 2x for boring slow paced stuff
Jan 15, 2017 10:51 PM

Dec 2013
I'll never speed up anime. If the anime is boring at some parts, it's boring at some parts. I want to watch the show how it was originally intended to be watched.
Jan 15, 2017 11:54 PM
Apr 2016
http://imgur.com/BogpGGc

Sometimes I'll even -GASP- watch at 120% speed!

But, butt, butt(hurt), that's an AAA anime! That's high-definition quality! Why would you not enjoy it as it is meant to be? Because I don't watch anime on VHS, derrrp. Thank god for the PS4's sped-up playback option; I can watch $40 anime DVDs or $80 anime Blu-rays however I want. Oh, I should mention my local library has Blu-ray anime series that I can checkout for free. Times have changed.

It's similar to playing a video game on easy for some parts, and normal on other parts. You could literally have a 200 year lifespan and not finish all the games ever made, even if you played on easy. I'd rather enjoy anime than waste time slogging through the filler scenes. Yes, even your precious masterpiece 10/10 anime has boring parts.

I've watched Code Geass, all 50 episodes, at least two or three times at normal playback speeds. On my 4th run-through though, I definitely sped up the school scenes. Oh yah, I'mma watch an action anime for the talking bits, fo' shizzle.

Back during the VHS days, you couldn't playback at 110% without hella blur and super funky audio. In 2017, it's not bad at all, in fact, it's buttery smooth with the right gear.
Jan 15, 2017 11:59 PM

Nov 2014
You know there's this thing called dropping a series, right? A show is made with an intention of people watching it that way. If it's boring, drop it or penalise it's score when you are rating it.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 16, 2017 12:02 AM

Feb 2013
Allen750 said:
It's similar to playing a video game on easy for some parts, and normal on other parts. You could literally have a 200 year lifespan and not finish all the games ever made, even if you played on easy.
or just plain ol' speeding up the game on the emulator
most of them have turbo button for a reason
Jan 16, 2017 12:15 AM
Feb 2012
BurningSpirit said:
You know there's this thing called dropping a series, right? A show is made with an intention of people watching it that way. If it's boring, drop it or penalise it's score when you are rating it.

Usually these kinds of threads scream for some kind of snarky comment but yours had just the right amount of seriousness to make any more words obsolete. Chapeau, good sir.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jan 16, 2017 12:30 AM

Jul 2014
who does this...lol must be a bit insane..lol unless its funny at that speed
Jan 16, 2017 5:39 AM

May 2015
Ahhh brilliant. The speeding up threads are back...
Jan 16, 2017 5:44 AM

Feb 2010
yeah thats how people who don't enjoy anime watch anime. Congrats
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 16, 2017 6:12 AM

Apr 2016
I only do it with Teekyu that way I can truly understand what is going on in that anime.
Jan 16, 2017 6:51 AM

Aug 2010
Well I tend to watch some terrible garbage anime, and I just press the right arrow which skips 2 seconds repeatedly if I get to a boring or repetitive, generic part. If the whole anime is like that I just skip all the way haha.
I only do this with airing anime which are garbage but I've already watched some episodes and don't want to drop.
Jan 16, 2017 1:50 PM

Sep 2016
I only ever did that with Diabolik Lovers. Watched it at x2 because it was bad but I don't want to drop an anime if I managed to make it halfway through. Especially if said anime has episodes shorter than normal (it's 15 minutes at normal speed)

Huh, I wonder if I would drop it or watch at higher speed if it was a long running anime. I wouldn't want to drop an anime if I watched 50 episodes or something.
Jan 16, 2017 1:53 PM

Jun 2016
The directors spent so much time on the pacing, and people completely disregard it.
Jan 16, 2017 1:59 PM
Sep 2016
The only time I will and have watched anime at more than 1x speed is if I really want to finish an episode, but I have to go somewhere or do something else.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Characters you like but everyone else hates.

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

37 by Otakupervert890 »»
3 minutes ago

» The nicest chest you've seen on a male or female character

IpreferEcchi - 16 minutes ago

2 by rohan121 »»
3 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

24 by rohan121 »»
14 minutes ago

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - 2 hours ago

10 by Ahiru89 »»
19 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

89 by LordSozin »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.