Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 15, 2017 2:10 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Review is only helpful when I'm about to pick an anime to watch, especially when I've never heard about it before

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 15, 2017 2:20 AM

May 2015
The review quality here is pretty low, but so it is in most sites. People don't have coherent theories or basis for their opinions. All they can say is 'I like' or 'I don't like'.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 15, 2017 2:22 AM

Nov 2014
Personally I don't let what other think affect if I watch the show (unless one of my real life friends who have similar taste recommending me anime), so I don't read reviews before. This and seeing genre tags is how I get what anime I would like to watch.

Then after watching the show, I have my own opinions, but I am open to listen what others think. Though I feel that people should get across the context in which they are reviewing an anime, do you take it seriously or if might you have any bias. I rarely find anything insightful being said in reviews. I don't blame people for it, I've made some pretty bad ones in my early days too, but I've been able to articulate myself better since (though not in reviews as I'm not bothering with it anymore).

So in the end, reviews are kinda useless overall.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 15, 2017 2:22 AM

May 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
The review quality here is pretty low, but so it is in most sites. People don't have coherent theories or basis for their opinions. All they can say is 'I like' or 'I don't like'.
That's because the only generally accepted criteria for judging a show is personal enjoyment.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 2017 2:24 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Problem is most people just write reviews as some form of self-gratification in order to rant or fanboy over the shows they hate/love, instead of actually focusing on the main purpose of a review... in other words to help others, not themselves. Ultimately the most important thing is to try to convince people who have still not watched an anime to make up their mind on whether they think it's worth their time or not, regardless of whether you're trying to convince people to watch it or to not watch it
Jan 15, 2017 2:29 AM

Jan 2017
I don't read them because they are mostly not neutral and everyone got a different taste in anime. As some guys above me already wrote, I read them only after I watched that certain anime.
Jan 15, 2017 2:31 AM

Dec 2015
I don't need reviews. That's why I barely bother to read them. I just skim through 1-2 of them every few months. And then I don't bother to click those buttons. (I'd have to watch the anime 1st to see if the review described all the important stuff and then later come back to vote and that usually isn't in my todo list.)

Since I'm watching only airing anime the first impressions in threads is more important to me. For picking up older anime I prefer to use recommendations which are - in most cases - more helpful cause it is easier if you can compare it to another anime you have liked. Reviews might easier give a wrong impression if the reviewer has a different taste and writes his review based on that. (Mentioning stuff that was to his taste and praising it. But if you have a different taste you would not like it. For recommendations people have watched both anime and they usually like or dislike both and if you liked/disliked one you might have the same/opposite opinion as the person recommending and this can help in deciding.)
Jan 15, 2017 2:48 AM

Apr 2011
Maybe if there actually were reviews, people would read them. As things stand, a good 90% or so are just commentaries.
Jan 15, 2017 6:16 AM

May 2010
I don't read reviews, I don't even read the synopsis lol
Jan 15, 2017 6:56 AM

Sep 2012
EcchiLordMamster said:
i don't read reviews or watch reviewers... its simple

because i don't give a shit...

Well I don't think it's about caring it.When I watch a reviewer or read a review my reasoning for this is to see what others think about a show that I watched.

So @TheBigGuy you should not read reviews for forming an opinion.As you said you have your brain for that.
Jan 15, 2017 7:00 AM

Jun 2016
Sometimes either or i trust a review...
But, That Doesn't even matter me.. cause we had our own opinions and personal perspectives... :p
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 2017 7:11 AM

Dec 2016
I only read reviews AFTER finishing a series, just to see what others thought about it and to see how my own impressions compared to the ones of others.

Also, because in case you somehow didn't exactly know why you loved or despised a series, reviews can help you revealing you the reasons for that. They give you ex-post orientation.

Reading them BEFORE you watch them is very risky; they can be misleading, give you wrong expectations, and even prevent you from watching a series you would have truly enjoyed if you watched them.

Not to mention also that in the majority of the cases they are going to be very biased.
Jan 15, 2017 7:23 AM

Nov 2014
Aika said:

How do you pick up series then?

A chicken can be hypnotized, or put into a trance, by holding its head down against the ground, and drawing a line along the ground with a stick or a finger, starting at the beak and extending straight outward in front of the chicken. If the chicken is hypnotized in this manner, it will remain immobile for somewhere between 15 seconds and 30 minutes, continuing to stare at the line. Ethologists refer to this state as 'tonic immobility' i.e. a natural state of semi-paralysis that some animals enter when presented with a threat, which is probably a defensive mechanism intended to feign death, albeit rather poorly.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 15, 2017 7:26 AM

Dec 2016
BurningSpirit said:
Aika said:

Well I personally don't read a synopsis or review BEFORE watching a show either. I just look at genre and reputation really. :3
Jan 15, 2017 7:29 AM

Nov 2014
Creatiwiti said:
Well I personally don't read a synopsis or review BEFORE watching a show either. I just look at genre and reputation really. :3

Same I use the genre tags too. But I read the sypnopsis when the genre tag on anichart is "School" and that's it. Like what? "School" isn't even a genre.

But by reputation you mean whatever you seem to hear from random people who watch anime?

My MAL Interview
Jan 15, 2017 7:30 AM

Dec 2016
BurningSpirit said:
Aika said:

There are many other possible ways:

- You can randomly start a show you randomly found in a TV network

- Friends recommendations without telling you anything about the show

- You can just read the title of the show, see what's the genre or see one or two images of it and "have a hunch" that you're gonna like it

Among others...
Jan 15, 2017 7:32 AM

Dec 2016
BurningSpirit said:
Creatiwiti said:

Same I use the genre tags too. But I read the sypnopsis when the genre tag on anichart is "School" and that's it. Like what? "School" isn't even a genre.

But by reputation you mean whatever you seem to hear from random people who watch anime?

Yeah I guess that's what it boils down to. It's usually easy to know how a show is viewed by the overall anime community if it's not super unknown.
Jan 15, 2017 7:33 AM

Nov 2014
nry said:
There are many other possible ways:

- You can randomly start a show you randomly found in a TV network

- Friends recommendations without telling you anything about the show

- You can just read the title of the show, see what's the genre or see one or two images of it and "have a hunch" that you're gonna like it

Among others...

I know there are ways to not read synopsis before watching a show, I do sometimes do that. I'm just surprised that someone was consistently picked up anime without reading the synopsis.

My MAL Interview
Jan 15, 2017 8:47 AM

Apr 2015
I like reading or watching reviews after finishing series. Of course, its important to have your own opinion on a show. But reading reviews gives you insight on how other people perceived the show or a tidbit that you might have missed. I find it most interesting when I read a review and the person explains a scene or element that resonated with them; especially if its a scene/element that did not strongly impact me.
Jan 15, 2017 11:37 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
sasalx said:
EcchiLordMamster said:
i don't read reviews or watch reviewers... its simple

because i don't give a shit...

Well I don't think it's about caring it.When I watch a reviewer or read a review my reasoning for this is to see what others think about a show that I watched.

So @TheBigGuy you should not read reviews for forming an opinion.As you said you have your brain for that.

eh, i'd rather just talk to someone and find out that way lol, as i've said before, you know how annoyed i get when people constantly complain about anime, and unfortunately thats what many reviews are
Jan 15, 2017 11:49 AM

Sep 2012
EcchiLordMamster said:
sasalx said:

eh, i'd rather just talk to someone and find out that way lol, as i've said before, you know how annoyed i get when people constantly complain about anime, and unfortunately thats what many reviews are

Well of course.We can talk about why Keijo is good for all the day but unfortunately not everyone is so talkative like that.
Jan 15, 2017 11:54 AM

Oct 2014
the removal of the not helpfull vote kind of fucked up the reviewing system
for newer shows now there is nothing to balace the lots of helpsfulls a review gets so to assure a spot in the top 10 it become a run to publish the review as soon as possible as soon as the shows finishs airing
Jan 15, 2017 11:57 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
It's kind of obvious the bulk of it isn't as sincere as people act because so much of the complaints in particular kind of beyond stupid when you think about it - I expect an obvious fanservice vessel to have a deep and compelling narrative and blah blah blah I'm not a raging faggot I have good taste pls dont haet me ;_;

Even outside of that, most of the ones I see just strike me as applying vague literary terms that they probably just picked up off of a different reviewer on YT or somewhere else and applying it in a way dependent on whether or not they like or dislike it. Very few I've taken the time to look at on this site or off of it strike me as being sincere - they can either be overly hyperbolic for the sake of being interesting to read as opposed to being actually worthwhile, they can have completely misplaced priorities within the type of anime they're reviewing or fail to grasp basic concepts like characters and narrative not being the absolute be-all end-all of determining whether something is good, or even just thinking there's something wrong with being biased in some way shape or form. Albeit the last one is mostly because of people who try to discredit an opinion they disagree with as being biased rather than any fault standing with that kind of person in particular, admittedly. The desire for unbiased reviews only comes from people who disagree with the review in question, be the review positive or negative - it never truly applies when they actually agree with the opinions stated in the reviews. That whole bias vs unbias spiel is just a crock of shit that's only ever used when it benefits the person using it.

But back on topic, the only reviewers who I can understand as being viewed as even remotely worthwhile are ones that work from within the confines of a particular type of anime they like instead of trying to just apply a checklist of their personal standards onto everything and then complaining about not everything falling into that list of personal standards that they want to treat with more weight than it really has.

Reviews on this site tend to be worthless to me for that reason. Reviews in general are worthless to me unless I'm bored and just want to hear somebody talk about an anime, honestly. Strongly believe that the experience of the individual viewer supersedes the will of some bogus-set of popular criteria trying to be imposed onto me by a group of faux-intellectuals.

Everybody here is just a downie, pretty much, this type just tends to strike me as downies in denial. I don't care what a group of people whose sole vested interest generally lies with projecting an image of intellectualism and depth onto themselves has to say.

EcchiLordMamster said:
sasalx said:

Negativity gets more attention. Complaining about shallow entertainment such as moe or fanservice can make one appear deeper than they are. It's a two birds with one stone sort of deal; more attention and dumb people will think you look smart because you use big words and like deep things.
ManabanJan 15, 2017 12:06 PM

Jan 15, 2017 11:59 AM

Oct 2013
It is because of the removal of the not helpful button. It actually ruin the battle of opinion between group A and group B. Where it is a battle where which side overcome the other.

I'm surprise no one had mention this. The controversy is gone, now it is either you agree with the review by clicking the helpful button or simple ignore it. Mal mods made a huge mistake by removing it, Having controversy is a good thing, it promotes discussion and debate. Mods have change the review section from a lively place, to a dead zone where only few people even care enough to click on the helpful button anymore.
keragammingJan 15, 2017 12:03 PM
Jan 15, 2017 12:17 PM

Aug 2014
As others have said, not helpful button was useful, now trolls can be happier.

As for the reviews quality, it is bad (on average) everywhere, I once decided to check out some Reviews from Rotten Tomatoes and it turned out that even for known critic writers in newspaper the average quality is not that good.
Jan 15, 2017 12:44 PM

Jan 2008
I have no need for reviews, thus I only ever read them if I'm border, and always after I watch a series. I don't think they have any actual worth though.
Jan 15, 2017 1:49 PM

Apr 2014
The moment the not helpful button disappeared, I gave up on reviews (Not that I ever really gave a shit about them)
Jan 15, 2017 2:17 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
They're not as pointless as featured articles (shots), but just about.
Jan 15, 2017 2:26 PM

Aug 2016
I usually only read reviews from people whose opinions I find interesting (of which there are 2 or 3 on MAL). Most of the reviews on MAL feel very mechanical and formulaic though, and they often fail to properly highlight the pros and cons of a show.

Simply saying "There was good character development" doesn't tell me anything apart from your thoughts on the matter. Very seldom are examples provided, and for a fair reason (I guess). If a review were to attempt give evidence for each of their points, they would be huge essays, and I doubt many people have the drive to produce such content.

The decline of people reading reviews on MAL could be attributed to the rise in video format reviews, which are much more accessable.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Jan 15, 2017 2:28 PM
Feb 2015
i dont read reviews.... simply because people not everyone likes the same things and that i dont care what other people say about an anime (same with the score/rating)
Jan 15, 2017 2:31 PM

Jun 2011
I will often read a review rated 5, 7, and 10. I guess I care what someone who is a fan thinks.

Actually, you can deconstruct flaws a series may have by looking at what a raving fan might say. Some might even say flaws they just didn't care about and still rate it 10/10. Someone rating it 1... I kinda don't trust those people... they usually just blind hate the thing. lol. But wont lie, sometimes I look at reviews rated 1 for fun. But hard to take them serious.

I think reviews rated 7 or 8 are the most reliable. Even people who 10/10 a series will be more reliable than a 5 or 6.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jan 15, 2017 2:36 PM

Jun 2011
Psyotic said:
I usually only read reviews from people whose opinions I find interesting (of which there are 2 or 3 on MAL). Most of the reviews on MAL feel very mechanical and formulaic though, and they often fail to properly highlight the pros and cons of a show.

Simply saying "There was good character development" doesn't tell me anything apart from your thoughts on the matter. Very seldom are examples provided, and for a fair reason (I guess). If a review were to attempt give evidence for each of their points, they would be huge essays, and I doubt many people have the drive to produce such content.

The decline of people reading reviews on MAL could be attributed to the rise in video format reviews, which are much more accessable.

See that is the problem, you can't see trash vs. treasure in someone's pros.

Go look at a 10/10 review for Mirai Nikki. It is really entertaining because I could tell I would hate it based on positive reviews. Like, do you like Yanderes a plot you don't even know what is happening? Death games? "love" with winey not quite shinji style protag? no? stay away!
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jan 15, 2017 2:41 PM

May 2015
zal said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
That's because the only generally accepted criteria for judging a show is personal enjoyment.

I judge shows based on personal enjoyment. Art is personal.

I'm just interested in exploring why I enjoyed said anime, instead of saying that I liked it.
Jan 15, 2017 2:45 PM

Jul 2015
When I watch an anime I'd try my best not to look at the rating but some times would on the action/mecha/drama type animes just to not fall into the boring side of anime.

GangsterCat said:
idk the only relevant reviews are the one rated 4-5 since 1 is hater and 10 is fanboy

Haha I agree that's also how I look at it.
Miki_04Jan 15, 2017 2:50 PM

Jan 15, 2017 3:40 PM

Jun 2015
reviews are mostly subjective and written by people with shit tastes.
Jan 15, 2017 3:47 PM
Jan 2016
I read them when I finish a series to find out just how bad my taste is compared to other viewers
Jan 15, 2017 3:52 PM

Apr 2015
Well Looks Like This Is True..........................................
Jan 15, 2017 5:12 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Lisbon said:

Negativity gets more attention. Complaining about shallow entertainment such as moe or fanservice can make one appear deeper than they are. It's a two birds with one stone sort of deal; more attention and dumb people will think you look smart because you use big words and like deep things.

oh definitely lol... people LOVE to listen to people bitch and complain, which i know is why Digibro is so popular.. its not that people "agree" with this, its just this guy who breaks down anime while being a whiny bastard is just too intriguing for many

and ofc you CAN'T talk 100% positively about fanservice cause ofc you'll lose the butthurt teenage girls and the SJW's which could be a large portion of your subs, plus the helicopter parents who monitor what their kids are watching :/
Jan 15, 2017 6:03 PM

Feb 2015
Mhhh... Seems like I have missed this thread, ohh well anyway...

In my opinion, all reviews weight the same because, first they have their own proof that supports their claims in the context of the series. Either they have provided an insightful details or generalize/cliche examples does not matter, I believe all reviews have their own pros and cons, it is not "useless" just because majority of the MALers seems to make the score outweigh the reviewers opinion towards the series. Or just, MALers ignore the opinion and focus more on the score: the reflection of the reviewer's opinions directly to the series. From what I believe, other ppl prefer different kind of review, like YT Anime Review is a thing( I dunno) or the normal style in which is the written formal; the standard way of doing it. Although, all of that doesn't matter to me, I know it is "fundamental" within the reviews, but I rarely or don't read reviews anyway so I don't bother. And yes, I acknowledge ppl who writes reviews because it shows how they can present what they think about the series or something that they felt something about.

And, as you can see, I didn't include talking about troll reviews or bluntly simple listing reviews because that itself is not a review but just an ideas present within the context of the series. In short, I don't care ppl like reading/watching review, others don't, so saying reviews are "useless" is a narrow-minded thinking OP.....
Jan 15, 2017 6:46 PM

Mar 2016
Hmm.. this is why my reviews tend to be short and act more like a spotlight than a judgement. Spending more time watching a review than the length of an episode is pointless.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Jan 15, 2017 11:21 PM

May 2013
MAL forum culture has always been strangely anti reviews, but i find they've help me find new anime, and can give new perspectives to shows i like
Jan 15, 2017 11:21 PM

Dec 2013
I don't really care about reviews. I care more about an anime's average score.
Jan 15, 2017 11:24 PM

Feb 2016
It depends on the show. For newer anime I don't care about them. But for anime dating 2014 and up I read them.
Jan 16, 2017 12:31 AM

May 2015
EcchiLordMamster said:
Lisbon said:

oh definitely lol... people LOVE to listen to people bitch and complain, which i know is why Digibro is so popular.. its not that people "agree" with this, its just this guy who breaks down anime while being a whiny bastard is just too intriguing for many

and ofc you CAN'T talk 100% positively about fanservice cause ofc you'll lose the butthurt teenage girls and the SJW's which could be a large portion of your subs, plus the helicopter parents who monitor what their kids are watching :/

How can people listen to a 40-minute review, but not read 10 paragraphs?
Jan 16, 2017 1:49 AM

Dec 2015
@TheBrainintheJar Because they prefer raw unstructured bar talk over well exposed arguments in a structured form. (it probably comes down to not wanting to feel like an idiot by reading a good text)

About reviews/critics, some people might be interested in this: in one of his novels preface, Maupassant (a famous novelist) ponders on what critics should do and what they often actually end up doing. I know it is "old" (especially for a crowd who tends to see anything above 5years old in a young art as old/dated) but it still has weight today (especially here).
Rei_IIIJan 16, 2017 1:54 AM
Jan 16, 2017 2:24 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

How can people listen to a 40-minute review, but not read 10 paragraphs?

i have no idea.... cause i don't...

and i usually skim the shit out of rants here and MAL and say tl;dr
Jan 16, 2017 2:44 AM

Nov 2014
I remember reading reviews a lot when I started watching anime. Now I know most titles from forums, articles, memes etc, so when I find something I want to watch I usually already know more than average review says about it. I only read them when I'm not sure if I should watch something or not and hope for inspiration.
As for reading reviews after watching anime: I only do it if I want to write something (post, recommendation or even review) about it myself and I feel like I need to see someone else's point of view.

I don't mind low quality that many people mentioned tbh. MAL reviewers aren't pros and it'd be wrong to expect too much of them. What I mind are troll reviews or one made just to bash anime instead of trying to rate it (even negatively).

Btw. I'm only talking about written reviews. I can't stand youtubers.
JustAnotherShiroJan 16, 2017 2:55 AM
Jan 16, 2017 3:40 AM

Aug 2008

With all due respect, nobody care about internet argument. In the end of the day, whether it's review or discussion, people will still stick to their own opinion.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jan 16, 2017 6:29 AM

Feb 2015
Creatiwiti said:
_Ako_ said:
so saying reviews are "useless" is a narrow-minded thinking OP.....

I didn't say that though. :3
And I'm fine with people not caring about reviews too. I was just wondering WHY reviews have so little attention compared to a few years ago.

I dunno, is reviews a thing in the past, to what extend? So is "opinion" not a thing in the past and just emerges today? That's interesting...
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

37 by Strayfe »»
13 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

26 by Lizsaki »»
15 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 8 hours ago

33 by TRC_Randy »»
16 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 10 hours ago

42 by Vendicator »»
23 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

42 by TRC_Randy »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.