Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 13, 2017 8:22 PM
Nov 2016
It happens for quite awhile and currently in the midst of it. Tried watching first episode of both Kuzu no Honkai and Ao no Exorcist S2 but unable to finish them. Somehow, it felt detached to reality and there are more pressing matters in life than watching anime.

Watching anime used to be interesting but it felt like a chore now. No longer feeling excited of new anime of every season. Took occasional breaks from anime but everything feels wrong and ridiculous when I started watching again.

Moeblob/ecchi/hentai are not interesting for me; bland and boring, rather get a real life.

The question is "Am I the only one feeling this way or anime become more generic/ridiculous nowadays?"
Jan 13, 2017 8:26 PM

Apr 2016
Untill about yesterday I felt the same way. I just couldn't enjoy anime, but I think the reason why I came back was because I found a transition back into anime. I started listening to japanese music (human bloom, the new album for radwimps fans) and it kinda got me pumped for watching more anime. also playing japanese games like nep or ff or tales or something could get you excited too.

I hear of lots of people with the same thing every once in a while so no we are not alone, but many of them say that you will just naturaly come back to it, but for me I usualy don't feel that way.
Jan 13, 2017 8:30 PM

Dec 2016
Yikes! OP, please don't lose faith!

I'm not sure Kuzu no Honkai is going to be worth much of anything, personally. I couldn't handle the manga for more than 3 chapters. No joy in it whatsoever. It might be really artistic or whatever, but it is certainly a drag to slog through. I can't imagine the anime was any better. (Never really got into Blue Eorcist, so no comment.)

Something new that is awesome is coming soon, you can count on it. I can't say specifically what it is, because we all have different tastes. But that's the beauty of anime right? Such a buffet of interesting treats to pick from... Sometimes, though, the ones that are set out in a season don't tickle your fancy. Such is life. Find a new manga or two to support so that they maybe get the adaptation that they deserve. :-)
tonkatsu-senseiJan 13, 2017 8:43 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2017 8:38 PM

Nov 2014
It's natural to suddenly not watch too much anime, I used to rack them up really fast, watching series to series on end. I got really tired of it for more than 2 years, now I'm back.

The reason why you feel that series start to few generic is not because they weren't generic before, you were just less exposed less to the same stuff.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 13, 2017 8:40 PM

Aug 2013
1. Pick and choose something you really like (I have feel like I no longer have time for both gaming and watch for long period of time)

2. Do something while watching anime (web browsing with dual monitor setup or exercising)

3. Stop watching have another hobby instead (drawing / reading / sports)

4. Change position / method of watching (get comfy chair / snacks etc)

5. Start watching anime with faster speed (I suggest start with 1.5x or lower)

6. Stop having hoarder / completionist mentality

Anime in general might be feel to generic / similar to each other , but that doesnt you from properly choosing on what you want to watch that worth your time / attention.

There was couple of series I have problem watching through despite many method I tried. As for burnout itself, stop watching anime if you no longer enjoy it.
Nah, i dont think sharing anime ratings in signature is cool thing.

Here, stare at this pointless signature instead.
Jan 13, 2017 9:05 PM

Jun 2014
I have seen nearly 750 anime and watch it everyday, this burnout has never happened to me..
Jan 13, 2017 10:00 PM

Feb 2013
starkfish said:
The question is "Am I the only one feeling this way or anime become more generic/ridiculous nowadays?"
yes the latter has been true for every days since the first nowa days
Jan 13, 2017 11:25 PM

May 2015
Have you tried seeing a doctor? You might receive a prescription of Monster and Hyouge Mono.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2017 12:17 AM
Jul 2018
No, I'm the same right now. I enjoy more playing games so instead I'm doing that.
Jan 14, 2017 12:23 AM
Feb 2016

even if anime were getting more generic (which it isn't by the way) you don't have to watch new series you can just go and watch older series yadda yadda
Jan 14, 2017 12:55 AM

Oct 2013
I'm getting there... I plan to halve my PTW next time I make it after I finish the current list (from 60 down to 25-30), so that I have more time for video games and movies. I will keep up with airing anime though. It's a lot easier to tackle those in most cases and lots of good stuff is coming out this year.
Jan 14, 2017 9:08 AM

Jun 2016
I still roll pretty heavy with anime and its been over 10 years. You gotta go where your interests lie. If you like fantasy stuff then watch that, if you like mecha then watch those. You can also take recommendations and the like because there are many good titles out there. The only way I know that you can burn yourself out on anime would be if you were to watch too many at a time and then try to pressure yourself to watch them all in a certain amount of time.
Jan 14, 2017 9:14 AM

Feb 2015
starkfish said:

I guess not OP, seems like ppl have been asking the same thing over and over, so I guess your not the only one. Probably
Jan 14, 2017 9:18 AM

Feb 2016
starkfish said:

Start watching better anime?
There are various genres, pick something different. Every season, there are a lot of good anime that don't follow the generic harem plot. You can always go back in the years and watch something older, shitton of quality stuff out there if these newer ones are boring to you.
Jan 14, 2017 9:20 AM

Jul 2015
right know im focusing on video games more and more
since the shitty taste that re zero ending left in my mouth im hesitating to watch any other anime lol
Jan 14, 2017 9:24 AM

Dec 2015
It's resonable to feel this way towards anime as it isn't only directed to anime, but to your personal peferences in general, particularly obssessions. When you continuously undertake an activity, you would inevitably lose interest and feel a need to adjust your appeal for something else; this is completely natural as it's a common feeling to have when you're growing up. People shift their interests all the time.

Even I including, I don't watch anime as much as I use to before and I'm not as excited when we reach a new season. I'm quite picky with what anime I want to watch anyways so it's hard to find an anime that attracts me in all aspects. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching anime, as I enjoy a majority of anime I watch regardless.
Why yu gettin' cheeky? (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 14, 2017 9:31 AM

Jul 2010
Watched all popular shows of the previous season and thought it was so fun and I was going to do the same for the next season. Next season started and I didn't watch even one anime.

Sometimes there are other things in life. Sometimes a realization comes. I would watch 10-20 episodes a day 3-4 years ago because I knew this day would come and I wanted to know as much as anime I can before that time.
Jan 14, 2017 9:33 AM

Feb 2010
Perspectives change over the years. Much more so than the anime industry itself. Either you can accept that certain hobbies were just accompanying you for certain periods of your life and drop them as soon as you feel like you feel right now - detached and uninterested in them. Or you can try and explore the medium differently than you're used to, trying to find something that you can enjoy with your new mindset. Maybe something you couldn't enjoy previously.

What's always retarded is to point fingers and blame the industry for you losing interest in your hobby tho. 'Detached from reality' 'ridiculous' 'feeling wrong' are all criticisms that can be applied to your favorites as well. But you obviously watched those when you were still more perceptive for the upsides of anime. It's you who changed, not the shows that come out each season. Maybe you lost your imagination and ability to immersel yourself with fiction? Maybe you just grew tired of certain genres? Maybe you never liked it that much in the first place and were just using anime to pass time and now that you have 'better things to do' you don't need it anymore? I'm not you so I can't tell you what changed you and how, just that it's definitely you who changed, and not the industry.

Personally I've updated my preferences and my general approach to anime multiple times over the years, but I always managed to still find enjoyment in anime, it's a hobby I'm very passionate about and I'd hate to give up on it just because my mindset changed. Some things stay the same and I try to stick with them (I loved battle shounen when I first got into anime and I still love them for example), but many other things changed over the years.

When I started I avoided anything romance, then for some time I was really into shoujo/josei romance and now I'm again not particularly interested in romance. It's important to not see yourself as this unchanging entitiy and keep watching the same stuff stubbornly. Experimenting with new genres has re-lit the hype in my more than once by now. I also used to watch 20-40 seasonals each season but when this started to feel like a chore I drastically reduced the amount and started dropping shows much earlier if they don't get my hyped and it stopped feeling like a chore and became great again. I'm much pickier now, but at least I'm still having fun.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 14, 2017 9:36 AM

Aug 2012
It's time for a different hobby, OP.
Jan 14, 2017 9:48 AM

Feb 2016
zal said:
Have you tried seeing a doctor? You might receive a prescription of Monster and Hyouge Mono.

Why are you constantly recommending these two? Keep it healthy like: OP go watch Inferno Cop!

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jan 14, 2017 9:56 AM

May 2015
Dishonest said:
zal said:

Why are you constantly recommending these two? Keep it healthy like: OP go watch Inferno Cop!
If I have to recommend something without restrictions might as well recommend the shows I am a fanboy of. In particular I am kinda disappointed Hyouge Mono has so few completed entries.
Jan 14, 2017 10:04 AM

Feb 2010
zal said:
Dishonest said:

If I have to recommend something without restrictions might as well recommend the shows I am a fanboy of. In particular I am kinda disappointed Hyouge Mono has so few completed entries.

Well, Hyouge Mono is extremely niche, took ages to be subbed because of the complicated language and it's longer than your normal 1- or 2-cour anime so I'm not really surprised myself. On the contrary, it already has become much more popular than I ever thought it would be for such a niche show (when I watched it had like 300 completed, now it's 5 times that). Compared to other similarly unpopular shows whose viewership numbers have grown by maybe 20% over the last 5 years Hyouge Mono is doing pretty amazing. And I even regularly see people mention it as a hidden gem recommendation (like you). That makes me happy enough :>.
Jan 14, 2017 10:08 AM

May 2015
Pullman said:
zal said:

Well, Hyouge Mono is extremely niche, took ages to be subbed because of the complicated language and it's longer than your normal 1- or 2-cour anime so I'm not really surprised myself. On the contrary, it already has become much more popular than I ever thought it would be for such a niche show (when I watched it had like 300 completed, now it's 5 times that). Compared to other similarly unpopular shows whose viewership numbers have grown by maybe 20% over the last 5 years Hyouge Mono is doing pretty amazing. And I even regularly see people mention it as a hidden gem recommendation (like you). That makes me happy enough :>.
Yes I've heard that the subs issues kinda screwed it over since this is a great shows for the audience that prefers more grown-up shows but also lots of fun without being dumb. It was like seeing my two favourite genres combine into the dream anime. I was also amazed by how hysterically accurate it is yet interesting.
Jan 14, 2017 10:17 AM

Feb 2010
zal said:
Pullman said:

Yes I've heard that the subs issues kinda screwed it over since this is a great shows for the audience that prefers more grown-up shows but also lots of fun without being dumb. It was like seeing my two favourite genres combine into the dream anime. I was also amazed by how hysterically accurate it is yet interesting.

Yeah shows get forgotten incredibly fast if they're not subbed while airing, and IIRC Hyouge Mono took like 2 years longer to sub than it was airing at which point half the people who had planned to watch it weren't even into anime anymore. But the show is definitely good enough to earn its niche fans. If you roughly know what to expect and find that appealing there's no way you won't fall in love with the show. It's just so quirky and unique.
It's always sad to see anime suffer solely because of a lack of subs at the right time. Most never really recover from that. It's why Moonlight Mile only has 1/20th of the viewers of Space brothers despite tackling the same subject matter. Most people don't look back once a seasons is over and a show hasn't been subbbed :/
Jan 14, 2017 10:27 AM
Jun 2014
Because you're tired of that hobby? Because yeah, watching animes is a hobby, and sometimes you don't feel like doing it as much as before.

Because you're growing up? Not that you will be completely be uninterested anime, but your taste and your standards change. When I was sixteen I would watch or read one serie after another: now I consider most of them to be ''meh'', and I only watch sequels or what picks my interest.

And loving anime is a roller coaster, well it is for me. I didn't watch anything new the last 2 years and didn't really participate in the manga community, but now I'm going back in it again.

It's normal, and it's just you. Don't worry about that.
Jan 14, 2017 8:57 PM
Nov 2016
aidchade said:
Untill about yesterday I felt the same way. I just couldn't enjoy anime, but I think the reason why I came back was because I found a transition back into anime. I started listening to japanese music (human bloom, the new album for radwimps fans) and it kinda got me pumped for watching more anime. also playing japanese games like nep or ff or tales or something could get you excited too.

I hear of lots of people with the same thing every once in a while so no we are not alone, but many of them say that you will just naturally come back to it, but for me I usually don't feel that way.
Kimi no Nawa was really good that I watched twice in theater but that's all. However, I doubt that even Shingeki no Kyojin S2 and Code Geass R3 will make me want to watch anime regularly as I feel that I have lost the "enjoyment" factor generally.
Jan 14, 2017 9:00 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
_Ako_ said:
starkfish said:

I guess not OP, seems like ppl have been asking the same thing over and over, so I guess your not the only one. Probably

yea lol.. this question gets asked at least once a month... so obviously hes not..
Jan 14, 2017 9:05 PM
Nov 2016
Pullman said:
Perspectives change over the years. Much more so than the anime industry itself. Either you can accept that certain hobbies were just accompanying you for certain periods of your life and drop them as soon as you feel like you feel right now - detached and uninterested in them. Or you can try and explore the medium differently than you're used to, trying to find something that you can enjoy with your new mindset. Maybe something you couldn't enjoy previously.

What's always retarded is to point fingers and blame the industry for you losing interest in your hobby tho. 'Detached from reality' 'ridiculous' 'feeling wrong' are all criticisms that can be applied to your favorites as well. But you obviously watched those when you were still more perceptive for the upsides of anime. It's you who changed, not the shows that come out each season. Maybe you lost your imagination and ability to immersel yourself with fiction? Maybe you just grew tired of certain genres? Maybe you never liked it that much in the first place and were just using anime to pass time and now that you have 'better things to do' you don't need it anymore? I'm not you so I can't tell you what changed you and how, just that it's definitely you who changed, and not the industry.

Personally I've updated my preferences and my general approach to anime multiple times over the years, but I always managed to still find enjoyment in anime, it's a hobby I'm very passionate about and I'd hate to give up on it just because my mindset changed. Some things stay the same and I try to stick with them (I loved battle shounen when I first got into anime and I still love them for example), but many other things changed over the years.

When I started I avoided anything romance, then for some time I was really into shoujo/josei romance and now I'm again not particularly interested in romance. It's important to not see yourself as this unchanging entitiy and keep watching the same stuff stubbornly. Experimenting with new genres has re-lit the hype in my more than once by now. I also used to watch 20-40 seasonals each season but when this started to feel like a chore I drastically reduced the amount and started dropping shows much earlier if they don't get my hyped and it stopped feeling like a chore and became great again. I'm much pickier now, but at least I'm still having fun.
Pretty much so that I may have become too cynical at times. However, I am sad that I could no longer enjoy anime as what I used to.
Jan 14, 2017 9:07 PM

Jul 2010
Never experienced any anime burnout since legit (don't count childhood) started watching anime ~10 years ago, not sure if that's a good thing or not but eh whatever, anime is a huge source of entertainment for me much like games.
Jan 14, 2017 9:18 PM

Feb 2015
EcchiLordMamster said:
_Ako_ said:

yea lol.. this question gets asked at least once a month... so obviously hes not..

OP is currently searching for his lost souls... Let him find it using the "Am I the only one..." I mean, you can substitute any shit into that and still resounds, "Am I the only one..." but, the feeling is just different...

I'mma make one thread like that when I just feel like it...
Jan 15, 2017 12:22 AM
Jul 2018
iwansquall said:
1. Pick and choose something you really like (I have feel like I no longer have time for both gaming and watch for long period of time)

2. Do something while watching anime (web browsing with dual monitor setup or exercising)

3. Stop watching have another hobby instead (drawing / reading / sports)

4. Change position / method of watching (get comfy chair / snacks etc)

5. Start watching anime with faster speed (I suggest start with 1.5x or lower)

6. Stop having hoarder / completionist mentality

Anime in general might be feel to generic / similar to each other , but that doesnt you from properly choosing on what you want to watch that worth your time / attention.

There was couple of series I have problem watching through despite many method I tried. As for burnout itself, stop watching anime if you no longer enjoy it.

Pretty much this, especially the last one helped a lot.

I would also add that you stop marathoning series and start watching 3-4 completed shows back-to-back or however it makes you feel comfortable. Anime and entertainment media in general should be about entertaining, not feeling like a chore.

Edit: Another thing that helped is having RL friends that also watch anime. Realistically this happens with anything, if your friends to it, it sure as hell is more entertaining to do; especially those trustworthy friends helping you get off your ass on leg days.
removed-userJan 15, 2017 12:25 AM
Jan 15, 2017 2:14 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
starkfish said:
....and there are more pressing matters in life than watching anime.

Then stop watching anime for a while, you only watch anime when you don't have anything better to do.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 15, 2017 2:35 AM

Dec 2015
Just try a totally different show (stuff you'd usually wouldn't watch). Watch less (only the really really good stuff and leave the "slightly above average" you might watch sometimes if you have too much free time). Try doing different things (gaming, other hobbies).

Then after some time check back about the other airing anime (seems you are watching airing anime) and check the responses in the threads to pick only the best one for watching.
Jan 15, 2017 11:43 PM

Dec 2013
I'd just suggest to take a break. You'll come back eventually. We all do haha

More topics from this board

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 9 hours ago

13 by perseii »»
3 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

77 by ame »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

28 by Kenzolo-folk »»
9 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
52 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

117 by Kdog1998 »»
54 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.