Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 8, 2017 9:03 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yes, Gintama is back! And this Sunday broadcasting is really convenient for me, lol.

Lol, at that Saiki reference at the beginning! Gintama took over its timeslow, haha XD

This episode starts the Rakuyou arc, adapting chapters 552 to 554. So 3 chapters adapted

Episode started off with a Shouyou/Gintoki flashback. It was pretty heartwarming until it turned into a nightmare. I still can’t tell if the Rakuyou arc has a serious beginning or a comedic one because Gintoki might’ve dreamt of something serious, but he was doing so right next by Elizabeth’s wiener. Typical Gintama, lol.

The OP is pretty hype!! Btw, The color for SA arc was Red, for FS it was blue, It's yellow for Rakuyou. The animations in the OP is sooo good. Pls be the animation quality for the fights.

Oh man, Katsura is a 10/10 villain. Also lol at the wanted posters. And yay, Nobume (with normal eyes)!

Kamui and his division tried to take over a Harusame stronghold, which ended up being a trap that was supposedly set up by Umibouzu and the Harusame. So basically, Nobume’s plan is for the Kiheitai to team up with the Yorozuya and Joui Rebels since they don’t have the Harusame’s support.

And we got some explanation to Utsuro and how his power world with the planet's Altana. Meanwhile Utsuro talks with the Harusame leaders. I love how they brought back an old Gintama story (the one with Sadaharu turning into a beast) to describe Utsuro's powers. Time for Utsuro to set all hell loose!

The ED is pretty decent. It reminds me of ED 19. I love the visual though ^_^

5/5
GoldenDevilGamerApr 27, 2017 10:41 PM
Jan 8, 2017 9:12 AM

Sep 2015
no comedy for 1st ep new season oh well

that end was good everyone with chinese outfit and is that kagura's momy? so sexy
Into the Internet!
Jan 8, 2017 9:12 AM

Jul 2014
Finally, my top anime has came back better than ever.
Funny how the OP gave me tons of feels and later makes me laugh because Eli's junk was on top of Gintoki's head.

Zura's crazy antics are still high as hell, dude made a heck of a villanious vibe from eating a cake.

Nobume's hot with her new getup and normal non yandere eyes.
Jan 8, 2017 9:13 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
ListAandM said:

that end was good everyone with chinese outfit and is that kagura's momy? so sexy
There was quite a lot of comedy, including the Katsura stuff at the beginning and the whole Matako/manko joke with the Kiheitai.

-Stray said:
GoldenDevilGamerJan 8, 2017 2:29 PM
Jan 8, 2017 9:18 AM

Sep 2015
GoldenDevilGamer said:
ListAandM said:

There was quite a lot of comedy, including the Katsura stuff at the beginning and the whole Makoto/manko joke with the Kiheitai.

ah i kinda missed first few minute of broadcast

i mean comedy arc for every new season of gintama
Into the Internet!
Jan 8, 2017 9:21 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
ListAandM said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:
There was quite a lot of comedy, including the Katsura stuff at the beginning and the whole Makoto/manko joke with the Kiheitai.

ah i kinda missed first few minute of broadcast

i mean comedy arc for every new season of gintama
Oh yeah, no skipped comedy chapters are being adapted :(
Jan 8, 2017 10:46 AM

Nov 2007
Seriously? Shouyou was Utsuru all along? Since I don't read the manga it was kind of shocking and disappointing at the same time.

But I am looking forward to see Kagura mama. She looks so beautiful. I am now convinced that Kagura will turn into the most beautiful woman in Gintama. Just give her a darned time-skip! And Umibouzo makes his grand appearance even though it was a flashback!

Kiheitai looks like a total failure now.

But good to see Nobume returning to her dark-self again. Zura was amazing branding Gintoki as one of the terrorists now and looks like Sakamoto will join the crew in the next episode so, while I am a tad bit disappointed with Utsuru's revelation, I am really hyped for the coming episodes.

Also, I will get to see the pretty Yato girl!

Liked neither the OP nor the ED. I doubt they will grow into me, particularly the ED.

Oh! The Love Live! Sunshine! ref was gold!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 8, 2017 11:00 AM

Jul 2014
shanimebib said:
Seriously? Shouyou was Utsuru all along? Since I don't read the manga it was kind of shocking and disappointing at the same time.

But I am looking forward to see Kagura mama. She looks so beautiful. I am now convinced that Kagura will turn into the most beautiful woman in Gintama. Just give her a darned time-skip! And Umibouzo makes his grand appearance even though it was a flashback!

Kiheitai looks like a total failure now.

But good to see Nobume returning to her dark-self again. Zura was amazing branding Gintoki as one of the terrorists now and looks like Sakamoto will join the crew in the next episode so, while I am a tad bit disappointed with Utsuru's revelation, I am really hyped for the coming episodes.

Also, I will get to see the pretty Yato girl!

Liked neither the OP nor the ED. I doubt they will grow into me, particularly the ED.

Oh! The Love Live! Sunshine! ref was gold!

Was there any other doubts about Kagura not becoming the most beautiful girl in Gintama when she hits puberty?

Jan 8, 2017 11:12 AM

Jul 2014
Jan 8, 2017 11:21 AM

Oct 2016
The ending must have costed Yorozuya a shit ton of money.

Goddamn I can't believe they covered so much within a single episode. Plz let this be a 52ep season (but by the looks of it, probably a 24ep one :( )

That drop of Utsuro's tone right before he blew up the elder's chamber? Sent a chill down my spine.
Jan 8, 2017 11:29 AM
Aug 2011
Germs_N_Spices said:
Plz let this be a 52ep season (but by the looks of it, probably a 24ep one :( )

3/44 of Rakuyou done
So at this pace they can do the whole arc in about 13 more episodes?

Back at it again!!!!!! Lol at them moving their shit to the late night spot, i'm surprised we didn't start with the still of the front of their house like always.
The OP and ED songs are shitty, the Yato family visual had me hyperventilating though.

I don't think it would have made much sense to go back and adapt the sillier skipped arcs first.
Anyway this feels like it's going to fly by.
standJan 8, 2017 4:41 PM
Jan 8, 2017 11:32 AM

Mar 2015
Here goes to a good start! A little too much put into one episode but I am just glad Gintama is back and this episode was fantastic!!

Not a big fan of the ending but I can see the opening growing on me after a while, though it's nowhere toptier.
_HeroKenzan_Jan 9, 2017 8:27 AM
Jan 8, 2017 11:49 AM

Aug 2015
3 chapters right away, great start and there goes the only comedy of the series and of course it's not Gintama without the introduction.

The OP was ok but didn't liked the ED much

Jan 8, 2017 12:04 PM

Aug 2010
KOUKA MY LOVE!!!!!!!!

Nobume was great this ep

Dat Saiki reference and Gin waking up in Elizabeth's crotch were 10/10

OP visuals are amazing
Jan 8, 2017 12:23 PM

Apr 2016
Come on I need this in my life ASAP btw some say it's fast paced in a good manner or bad manner? I'm kinda worried.
Jan 8, 2017 12:32 PM

Dec 2015
The OP was alright but that visual is damn fine. But poor Takasugi isn't with the gang. T_T Can't wait till he kick ass with them. But as of now I kinda don't like the ED.
OMFG that start tho. Sasuga Gintama, breaks 4th wall literally at the start of the first episode again.
Jan 8, 2017 12:36 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Intense_ said:
Come on I need this in my life ASAP btw some say it's fast paced in a good manner or bad manner? I'm kinda worried.
In a good manner. Almost nothing was skipped while maintaining the tension. With this pacing, the plot progression feels much more adequate. This episode adapted 3 chapters, which is the average for Gintama serious arcs. If they adapted 2 chapters, not much would've happened in this episode.
Jan 8, 2017 12:43 PM

Apr 2016
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Intense_ said:
In a good manner. Almost nothing was skipped while maintaining the tension. With this pacing, the plot progression feels much more adequate. This episode adapted 3 chapters, which is the average for Gintama serious arcs. If they adapted 2 chapters, not much would've happened in this episode.
Thank god..Thanks for clarifying the last thing I wanna see is a bad adaptation of my favorite anime.I've just noticed this season will be adapted by Sunrise unlike the last so I guess no need to worry.
Jan 8, 2017 12:47 PM

Oct 2016
Intense_ said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Thank god..Thanks for clarifying the last thing I wanna see is a bad adaptation of my favorite anime.I've just noticed this season will be adapted by Sunrise unlike the last so I guess no need to worry.

I remember this season is adapted by BNP independent of sunrise, but rest assured the visual is godly.
Jan 8, 2017 12:48 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Intense_ said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Though it is being animated at Sunrise, the staff is basically the same as Gintama°. It's just the BNP only animates stuff that broadcast in family-friendly timeslot so the entire staff is working at Sunrise instead.
Jan 8, 2017 1:19 PM

Apr 2015
How did I miss it? I wanted to watch it as soon as it aired. Oh well.

-I can't believe I didn't notice how much Shouyo's VA changed his voice until that flashback scene.
-Kagura and her mother looked so beautiful in the OP!
-Songs are quite average compared to the visuals.
-That Gintoki in the poster scene killed me
-The animation and art are so far pretty. Hope they don't fall.
-The pacing seemed great considering 3 chapters were adapetd.
-They used the Housen OST after so long !!
-The ending songs sucks but for some reason it seems nostalgic just like the first few endings of the first Gintama season

1000th comment and in a Gintama episode !!
CG-SilverJan 8, 2017 3:26 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2017 1:22 PM

Apr 2015
shanimebib said:
!

At the end of the arc, there is a small 2 chapter backstory from Oboro's perspective which shows how Utsuro became what he is (an extended version of what was shown about Utsuro in this episodes). I think it will be convincing enough. I personally liked it very much. Just hope the anime captures the tone of the backstory.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2017 1:29 PM

Jan 2014
Guuuys, but did you realize that little Kamui in the ED holds the flower from the last scene of the OP...?

It was such a great episode, I can't wait for the next one. Personally I really like both the OP and the ED songs.

Jan 8, 2017 1:35 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Finally, its up on Crunchyroll... 2 hours late!
Jan 8, 2017 2:19 PM

Dec 2014
IT'S HERE! I haven't read the manga but the opening and ending got me pretty hyped for whatever happens next :-)

edit: lol, Gintama. already 2nd in top anime xDDD Let the downvotes come.
CyandrisJan 8, 2017 2:24 PM
Jan 8, 2017 2:21 PM
Apr 2016
It was a brilliant episode. The comedic parts at the beginning was brilliant as always. I loved the wanted poster part. Also, the shift from serious to comedic was amazing, only Gintama can do that.

I really liked the opening. The song was good, the music was good, and the animation was perfect. The ending was not bad either.

Shoyo thing is probably one of the best plot twists in anime history, but unlike many other twists, it actually makes perfect sense. I really loved the explanation given for him. Also, it was a great set up for the future, since they actually managed to make him look very frightening. Gintoki's shocked face said it all.

Overall, a great first episode for the return of my favorite series.

5/5

Dec 2014
That was an annoying delay, I hope it's back on time from next week. I was waiting for hours. :(

Anyway, GINTAMA IS BACK. :DD

Great restart to the show, That opening sequence with the Saiki reference was really funny. xD

OP visuals are great, Nobume in her new outfit and grown up Kagura are just <3

Wow, Zura sure rubbed it into Gintoki's face that he was a terrorist. XD
Yorozuya Gin-chan Akiba Edition. Hell Yeah! Love Live! references were just pure gold, I spy Maki and Nico on those T-Shirts. XD
As a Love Live!'er, Take it from Gin-san, Don't underestimate us. XDD

Though that aside, we pretty much dove instantly into the plot, Nobume reveals the truth about Utsuro and the world with Altana as the main energy resource.
So Shoyo was Utsuro all along, He's an immortal being. How will they go about killing him then? Also as an anime only, I can only speculate at this point but does Utsuro become a new person or rather persona every time he dies? Like the moment he was beheaded as Shoyo, did he lose Shoyo's persona or was Shoyo just a facade from the very beginning? Cause during the Utsuro vs Gintoki in the FS arc, Utusuro acts almost as if he does not know Gintoki and questions as to how he knows his sword style.
Nevertheless, I shall wait for more revelations.

Umnibozu is back. Kamui and Takasugi gone missing. There's a lot that happened.
Can't wait for the next episode. :D

Also Kagura's mom is beautiful in that ED.
*hug noises*

May 2013
Long time no see. And quite the developments right off the for once, though I guess given what happened last season that's probably to be expected

I just hope that the comedy will still be present to a reasonable degree even as the story starts heading towards its climax because that's always been when Gintama is at its very best

I also like how Sunrise keeps staying up to date with the gags by including anime original (I presume) references to recently aired anime (like the Saiki hairpin at the start)
Jan 8, 2017 2:25 PM
May 2009
Gintama is back baby.
Jan 8, 2017 2:25 PM
Jul 2015
ElsaGranhiert said:
Where did you guys watch it at?

Animeshow.tv has the episde in HD
Jan 8, 2017 2:27 PM

Oct 2015
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Intense_ said:
Though it is being animated at Sunrise, the staff is basically the same as Gintama°. It's just the BNP only animates stuff that broadcast in family-friendly timeslot so the entire staff is working at Sunrise instead.

but......

This season will be animated by BNP, no ?
Jan 8, 2017 2:29 PM

Jun 2015
Awww yeah. That was some good shit.
:)
Jan 8, 2017 2:29 PM
Jul 2015
I actually hoped they wouldn't start with the Rakuyou arc right of the bat, but instead did the previous more humorous chapters that they did not animate yet. It also could have given a great scene where the Yorozuya would be bitching at their creators for leaving it out of the previous seasons.
Jan 8, 2017 2:36 PM

Mar 2012
Yes! I'm so glad to see my favorite Shounen anime finally back again!
It seems this new season of Gintama is going to get even more serious than less comedy focus though. I do hope there will still be decent amount of comedic moments for good laughs throughout the season.
SilentSnakeJan 8, 2017 2:39 PM

Credit to Hihanteki
Jan 8, 2017 2:40 PM

Feb 2016
This episode should probably be the richest in infodumps so the rest will probably be even better :)

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jan 8, 2017 2:44 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
YGP said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

but......

Technically yes, it's the BNP staff, so basically it'll feel like as if its made by BNP. However, they're making this at Sunrise's studio.
Jan 8, 2017 2:50 PM
May 2010
Finally another Gintama but knowing the source material this will be a straight serious arc for the whole season. I'm not saying I don't like that, I'm just feeling sad that when this arc is over I can't see anymore of the Yorozuya's goofy adventure anymore.

I really REALLY hope that someday they will adapt the rest of the comedy episode
Jan 8, 2017 2:54 PM

Feb 2015
Finally it's back! And what a comeback! The plot thickens, and much more details were uncovered. This will be a genuine continuation of where we left off.

Oh, and I love Nobumes new outfit. :3
Jan 8, 2017 2:55 PM

Jan 2016
Saiki refrence was gold!

"Imposter janai, Katsura da!" Zura shines like he always does! I thought the epiosde did well to begin with a flashback and then a few minutes of comedy and then back to the real stuff. The op was good and will probably grow on me but the ending didn't really get me, the visuals did though.

The only thing that im a bit unsure about is that for me personally it looked like the animation quality dropped a bit from the previous serie. Dunno if it is because Sunrise are doing it again, as bandai namco did the gintama 2015 one. Hope that it improves a bit.

Anyways it seems like we are in for another cracking season of gintama!
Jan 8, 2017 2:55 PM

Sep 2015
did gintama. just jump to 2nd place in top anime
Jan 8, 2017 2:56 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Incredible and great first episode...the firsts minutes is just Gintama, all humour and funny, but the rest of the episode, is the serious Gintama, with a great plot, and the revelation of the great truth that hides Utsuro, the Gintama teacher!!!! The whole plot, dark plot, appears on the table!!!!

Great first episode, and becareful with the "massive destruction weapons" xD

9/10.
Jan 8, 2017 2:57 PM

Oct 2015
GoldenDevilGamer said:
YGP said:

but......

Technically yes, it's the BNP staff, so basically it'll feel like as if its made by BNP. However, they're making this at Sunrise's studio.

Wtf ? Was this spoken of in any news?
Jan 8, 2017 2:58 PM
Jul 2018
Ah yes my favorite anime ever has come back! And what a good way to go and start the series, although the humor stays here in the first half more while the second half goes more serious tone to it, no issues there as usual.

I think the entire episode focused more on piecing things together further since last season, and I like the explanation throughout how Altana works (although It was kind of difficult to digest that's an issue I had with the episode but its nothing great that would affect the enjoyment level). It also focused on character development more towards Gintoki a bit, as well with Shoyo.

The OP is good but it's not really that hyped compared to previous Openings, although the visuals for the Opening are fucking fire and the transitions works out pretty well in the end of the day, the ED is pretty damn good and catchy, and somehow pretty beautiful still visuals.

I can't wait for the future episodes since I heard great things about this arc, so I'm really waiting for it a lot.
Jan 8, 2017 2:59 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
[1/10 VOTINGS INTENSIFIES]
These people are childish af to do that. (Not just for Gintama but for whatever anime that gets #1 or close)

Anyway, OT :
AAAAAAAAAH, feels good to see Gintama back again !
Lol'd at the Saiki reference at the beginning and them talkign about love live and the love livers.
Anyway, the OP and ED sounded better than what i expected but wasnt amazing tho.
DatRandomDudeJan 8, 2017 3:08 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 8, 2017 3:00 PM
Nov 2013
Hurray! It's back!!
Jan 8, 2017 3:02 PM

Feb 2012
Damn this time slot is perfect for my country, Japan is 6 or so hours in front of my country, and right when this airs and it gets subbed, I get to watch it at like 22:30 at night on Sundays. Just good stuff to start the week right.

Anyways good OP and ED visuals, even tho I'm not feeling the songs yet, will be listening to them on YT to see will they grew up on me.

Good info episode, I already read the manga so I know what's going on, I'm just waiting for the fights, and there's quite a bunch of good ones in this arc.
Jan 8, 2017 3:10 PM

May 2016
The visuals in that opening oml. I can't wait to learn about Kagura's mom
Jan 8, 2017 3:13 PM
The Madaora

Aug 2016
Amazing, I personally really enjoyed this episode. They covered a lot of interesting things to keep me thinking about over the weeks too. I'm just glad their back, despite it being the finale. Hands down, one of my favourite shows.
Jan 8, 2017 3:15 PM
Jul 2018
DatRandomDude said:
[1/10 VOTINGS INTENSIFIES]
These people are childish af to do that. (Not just for Gintama but for whatever anime that gets #1 or close)

Anyway, OT :
AAAAAAAAAH, feels good to see Gintama back again !
Lol'd at the Saiki reference at the beginning and them talkign about love live and the love livers.
Anyway, the OP and ED sounded better than what i expected but wasnt amazing tho.

Let me point more towards the 1/10 Voting: Whoever Votes like that are pretty much butthurt because their favorite aren't up there (not like I cared about the Top Lists but that's just pretty petty from their end xD)
Jan 8, 2017 3:17 PM

Dec 2013
I'm so excited to see this series returning!

She looks so incredible in the opening!
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anyone could explain ep 12 i couldnt able to understand whats happening?

Mugiwarayaa___ - Feb 15

6 by seelenfresser51 »»
Feb 17, 2:10 PM

» Katsura loves ikumatsu ?

Mugiwarayaa___ - Feb 16

4 by Tsuna10vongola »»
Feb 16, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Gintama. Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Jan 22, 2017

109 by otakuweek »»
Jan 11, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Gintama. Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Mar 26, 2017

187 by Alex_TheForest »»
Aug 1, 2023 3:07 PM

Poll: » Gintama. Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Mar 19, 2017

67 by Alex_TheForest »»
Aug 1, 2023 1:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.