Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 7, 2017 6:19 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty interesting episode. New OP song is alright I guess, personally liked the first one better though.

This one had a balance of comedy and drama but still had good focus on shogi as Rei recovered from his cold. The New Years week came and I think Rei recognizes what it means to him and his future. ED card for the episode:
Stark700Jan 7, 2017 9:42 AM
Jan 7, 2017 9:11 AM
Nov 2015
The visuals for the new OP were adorable, Hina and Momo eating popsicles~ Song was alright, preferred the old one.

Pretty disappointed with the winter season so far, luckily we still have 3-gatsu's second cour.
Jan 7, 2017 9:47 AM

Jan 2012
New op/ed eh? Not bad, but the previous ones were better. You know Rei, if you married into their family that comfort and warmth could be yours permanently! XD Momo...my heart. XD This Gotou is a douche who needs to be taken out, but not because of his crimes against Kyouko. That bitch deserves every nasty thing she gets, in the present anyway.
Jan 7, 2017 10:13 AM

Jul 2014
Other than the disappointing OP, I can't really find a lot to complain about with this episode. A strong start to this show's second cour, not least because of the introduction of Gotou and Rei's concerns about spending too much time with the three sisters.
Jan 7, 2017 10:33 AM

Jul 2011
Oh, I definitely disagree with everybody here, the new OP song is so much better IMO that it's not even funny.
Jan 7, 2017 10:33 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
new OP/ED really can't hold a candle to the last two ones :/

not that that's saying much since they were both awesome but still
Jan 7, 2017 10:36 AM

Dec 2014
Nooo they changed the OP and ED. :(
The new ones aren't bad but the old ones were so good.

Great episode as always.
It was nice see Rei reflecting on how much he likes the Kawamoto family's house. He compared it to a kotatsu implying

The Shogi match between the blonde guy and his opponent was awesome, I found that little cat imagery of the gameplay really funny. xD

They finally introduce Gotou in person, Damn, I've never seen Rei that angry. He had such a stern face. :o
That little touch with his hair looking like cat ears was kind of a nice way to show how angry he was.
Wonder what the full backstory is, I'm pretty interested. There's bits and pieces of it that's been revealed now but I'm still looking forward to a proper story.

Very heartwarming scene at the end, Couldn't help but smile when Momo told Rei to do his best. :D
Jan 7, 2017 10:42 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
OP wasnt bad but i easily like the first one more. The ED is so fuckin good tho, best one this season so far.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 7, 2017 11:07 AM

Nov 2016
The visuals of the new opening were good, but as everyone has said, the first OP and ED were and will always be the best.

I guess Smith is going to lose so Rei can face Gotou in the finals...
Jan 7, 2017 11:13 AM

Jul 2009
This Gotou guy is just off-putting, how in the world did he manage to find a wife? God, poor woman. On the other hand, I can't not think that he actually makes a perfect match for Kyouko, no wonder she's interested in him.
Good for Rei that someone held him back, because I don't think he would stand a chance in a fight with Gotuou.

I wouldn't think about comparing girls' home to kotatsu but it's very accurate. It probably cost Rei a lot to turn Hina and Momo''s invitation down, he needs their warmth so badly...

Ahhh, new opening's artist is the same one from openings of Honey and Clover, her voice is very easy to recognize. Still, even though I think it is good, I liked the previous one better, same with the ending.
Jan 7, 2017 11:37 AM

Apr 2016
Love the new OP/ED.
Jan 7, 2017 11:50 AM

Dec 2016
love the new OP - yuki's voice is a godsend

and the ending card with hina and the blue bird is just gorgeous ^^
-- ----- / -
s:mk:n
Jan 7, 2017 11:57 AM

Jun 2013
Great episode as always
OP and ED were both nice, though i did like the first ones better.
Jan 7, 2017 12:17 PM

Jun 2014
They should have just used the same OP and ED for the whole show.

Gotou is such a piece of shit, no wonder Kyouko loves him so much. They're a perfect match lol. Also, Momo was adorable in this episode.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 7, 2017 12:28 PM

Oct 2012
New OP/ED are decent, I preferred the old OP for sure, not sure if my stance on the ED yet.
Gotou is introduced, a wonderful jerk that actually fits Kyouko's personality well, I can see why she's interested. tho he has a wife so...

Never thought about it but Rei's comparison of the household to a kotatsu is so accurate, it was really hard for me to watch him refuse Momo's request for them to sleep together.
And her "why?" was so gosh darn cute I wouldn't have been able to refuse
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Jan 7, 2017 12:30 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
another great episode...two differents worlds, the grey, lonely and hard of the reality and the pastry colours, cheerful and peace of the wish :)

Another victory, and now in the semis and wait in the final the older "yakuza! !!! grrrr
Jan 7, 2017 12:45 PM

Dec 2012
Wonderful first episode for the year. Nice OP & ED song. Although I like the first one more. Visuals are great.
Poor Rei doesn't want to be alone & being away from the Kawamoto Sisters is hard.
LOL the chairman bringing all that fish.

Gotou is trouble & DAMN Rei was going to punch him. Good thing Smith was there to stop him.

Seeing Akari so happy over fish is lovely to see.

"Do your best"
Awesome END CARD. Looking forward to seeing how this 2nd cour goes.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Jan 7, 2017 12:47 PM

Feb 2014
So not only her "lover" is a MUCH older guy, but she is also stalking him. But as big of an evil bitch Kyouko is, I'm still kind of relieved she isn't in some kind of an abusive relationship, like the previous episodes implied. By stalking him, she's probably trying to use him to compensate for the lack of love that (she thinks) she never got from her actual father.

The first half was a bit boring since it was mostly filled with his inner monologue. However, now that I've caught up with the show, I think this is probably the first time since Shirobako that I've been this excited at looking forward to the new episodes of an airing anime.
And not a fan of the new OP/ED.
VhailorJan 7, 2017 12:50 PM
Jan 7, 2017 12:51 PM

Mar 2016
this show keeps getting better and better

i really like the new ED but i miss the old OP soooo much
Jan 7, 2017 1:10 PM

Dec 2008
Love the new ED!

So, is Kyouko delusional? In her mind she seems to be in a hot and passionate romance with Gotou, while he sees her as no more than a "stalker girl". And Gotou's married! I guess Gotou gave Kyouko that watch in hopes that she would go away.

Loved the interaction between Rei and Momo. Momo is just so adorable!
Jan 7, 2017 1:11 PM

Apr 2014
next week finally the best character will be introduced.
hype... cant wait
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Jan 7, 2017 1:15 PM

Jul 2016
No more bump of chicken . . .
Jan 7, 2017 1:18 PM
Oct 2015
The moment I heard YUKI's voice singing the opening, I felt an overwhelming feeling of happiness.
Ughhhhh, the memories man.
Jan 7, 2017 1:19 PM

Feb 2016
Didn't really like the new OP other than the visuals, preferred the first one. Loved the new ED though, really catchy.
Jan 7, 2017 1:37 PM

Nov 2008
Vhailor said:
So not only her "lover" is a MUCH older guy, but she is also stalking him.

I wouldn't take his words at face value; he likely called her a stalker precisely to get under Rei's skin.
Jan 7, 2017 1:40 PM

Nov 2016
I miss the original OP/ED :( I guess I'll get used to the new ones though
This show makes me so emotional without being melodramatic and I find it so refreshing
The whole Gotou/Kyouko situation is so intriguing! I can't wait until we learn more
Looking forward to next week :)
Jan 7, 2017 1:40 PM

Jul 2013
New OP has good visuals, but the previous song was better. ED has a good song, but previous one was also better.

So we are introduced to some new character, and between then there is Gotou, who is Kyouko's "boyfriend". While he is an awful person, is interesting to have him in the show, since, considering Rei's reaction to his presence and his past with him, he looks like some sort of rival to him, and that can make the series more interesting.

The ending was sad. Poor Momo really wanted to be with Rei, but his tournament was more important.
I have the feeling Smith will lose against Gotou, but I'm wondering how Rei's match will end.
Jan 7, 2017 2:18 PM

Jun 2015
New OP and ED sounds nice, but I prefer the previous ones. They have good visuals though. Nice to see Rei appreciating for liking the Kawamoto family's house. The shogi match was cool. When Gotou was introduced, I was just as angry as Rei. He caused so much pain to him. I hope Rei beats him in shogi. Momo saying to do his best was cute :)
Jan 7, 2017 2:22 PM

Nov 2009
The new ED is god tier. Great ep and ED card as well.
Jan 7, 2017 2:22 PM

Feb 2014
Bakazuki said:
Vhailor said:
So not only her "lover" is a MUCH older guy, but she is also stalking him.

I wouldn't take his words at face value; he likely called her a stalker precisely to get under Rei's skin.

Yeah, come to think of it, even during the brief moment we see them together in that flashback, the two of them look quite relaxed and he doesn't seem to be too bothered by her presence.
Jan 7, 2017 3:24 PM

May 2015
OP/ED change hype; the visuals for both are great but I'm not feeling the OP though. The ED song is fantastic though, I prefer it over the last one.

And looks like Gotou has appeared. I wonder what his relationship with Kyouko is; did he insult her to get under Rei's skin? Was she just his thing on the side that he's tossed away now that his wife's out of the hospital? Is Kyouko aware Gotou doesn't love her but still follows him because she loves him, or is she delusional and believes Gotou still loves her?

Kyouko just gets more interesting as the show goes on. And I like Rei more with each passing episode.

This is going to be one of the best shows this season.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jan 7, 2017 3:29 PM

Apr 2011
The new OP/ED are okay but nothing can top the awesomeness that is BUMP of Chicken.

BTW Gouto look like the serial killer from Erased manga version
Jan 7, 2017 4:06 PM

May 2013
The new ED was okay but I really don't like the new OP.
It's not nearly as good as the first which was my favorite song.

Good episode. It was pretty depressing until the shogi match.
I don't know about anyone else, but when Rei was asking what he should do
I was like go visit the girls you idiot.

The fish guy was cool.
Jan 7, 2017 4:22 PM

May 2015
Eh, I liked the previous OP more, but the ED was pretty good.

The second cour is off to a pretty decent start. I hope Rei will beat Gotou. That man is a real ass.

Jan 7, 2017 4:36 PM

Jun 2014
The new OP was too cheery, happy for what this is. It seemed more like an OP for a SoL show with a female MC, not an OP for a SoL show with a male MC who has depression and severe social issues;; sad they ditched Bump of Chicken.

That was hilarious how the blond guy beat his opponent by baiting the rook/dragon then wedging in a pawn where he couldnt escape.
Jan 7, 2017 4:50 PM

Oct 2013
The part at the end when Rei had to disappoint Momo got to me. I would have stayed and worked on the puzzle with Hina and Momo, but at the same time, Rei MUST crush Gotou so I understand his plight.
Jan 7, 2017 4:51 PM

Oct 2013
That end card is fantastic!
Jan 7, 2017 5:11 PM

Aug 2015
The scene between Momo and Rei was really touching.

I'm sad there won't be anymore Bump of Chicken but the new OP/ED's aren't bad.
Jan 7, 2017 5:12 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I swear, i'm melting, too now everytime Rei and the sisters are together, fuck ;__;
His moment with Momo was incredibly heartwarming and also sad at the same time.

Shaft is going hard now, i love it.

Also that ED is stunning, i love his voice and the instrumentals.

Jan 7, 2017 5:25 PM

Sep 2015
Nice you openiing , but I loved the old one better. We finally see that Gotou bastard
Jan 7, 2017 6:02 PM

Mar 2009
Momo <3

Also, Yuki! That is some sweet, sweet nostalgia! Can this show get any better?
I'm so glad we have another cour with this wonderful anime.
Jan 7, 2017 6:41 PM

Jan 2013
Great new OP, looks like an exciting final match to look forward to
Jan 7, 2017 7:26 PM

Jun 2013
The new OP and ED don't really compare to the great Bump of Chicken ones. Those were way better.

Rei is too attached to those girls. The comparison was pretty neat. He wants to stay there with those girls in their lively house and not in his cold, quiet, lonely apartment. But he can't afford to simply let loose since he's got must win matches coming up.

That 9th Dan and his lame jokes lol. And Smith is pretty strong too. And Smith is up against Gotou. Didn't expect Gotou to be so old. What's up with their relationship though? He has a hospitalized wife and thinks of Kyouko as an annoying stalker. Why buy her gifts then? I really don't get what kind of relationship they're in. And Rei wants to be able to beat Gotou as revenge for getting pummeled himself back then. But whether be plays Gotou or not depends on Smith.
Jan 7, 2017 7:47 PM

Jul 2014
His Livejournal-esque monologues are always a highlight.
Jan 7, 2017 8:11 PM

Apr 2016
New OP and ED, both are decent but still prefer the old ones. This episode is a mix of tension and hilarrious moments. Really like the background music accompanied with funny animation to ease up the mood. Gotou is as scary as he is in Rei's flashback, that is one tough dude to beat (both in Shogi and physically lol). Rei is only focusing on Gotou without any paying heed to his next opponent.. who would ever know the outcome.
Jan 7, 2017 9:31 PM
May 2016
It was a strong 2nd half start. The OP and ED are good, though previous one's are better.

The last scene of the OP where he extend his hand to the silhouette of his family, then Momo grabs his hand , showed that he's really longing for his family.
Neo_oeNJan 7, 2017 9:34 PM
Jan 7, 2017 10:15 PM

Jun 2012
My heart could barely handle that scene with Momo at the end. New ED and OP were stunning too.
Jan 7, 2017 10:35 PM
May 2010
Just like everyone here, BUMP OF CHICKEN OP is better but the new ED is great too. I still going to give them credit for the visual though, both new OP and ED have better visual than the previous one.

Momo's scene with Rei is so heart warming my eyes melt, the family really is a bundle of happiness for Rei.
Jan 7, 2017 10:45 PM

Jul 2016
New OP and ED. Rei vs. Gotou, I'm hype for it.

Momo reminds Rei of his younger sister, what a feels episode :'(
Jan 7, 2017 11:49 PM

Feb 2014
Smudy said:

Also that ED is stunning, i love his voice and the instrumentals.

Before I realized, I was dancing to its tunes!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

90 by little_raven »»
Apr 8, 8:54 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Nov 19, 2016

111 by little_raven »»
Mar 26, 11:11 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2017

104 by blinddig »»
Mar 13, 2:15 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

160 by TraeKun »»
Feb 18, 8:29 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

moodie - Oct 15, 2016

190 by rekillsU »»
Feb 5, 8:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.