Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray and DVD Rankings for Dec 26 - Jan 1

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 5, 2017 2:04 PM
Jul 2010
ichii_1 said:
TheHollowShrine said:
I'm real excited about Yuri too, it definitely deserves it, but I really wanna know about Occultic;Nine. When is it getting released and has it already flopped so hard that it didnt't even make the charts?

It sold about 1K :'(
BD2 is out Jan 11.
https://myanimelist.net/news/48936435

Whoa. So much for potential Anonymous;Code adaptation (O;N pseudo-sequel). We got a great anime, it's sad that A-1 didn't get a reward for putting so much effort in it.
Jan 5, 2017 3:25 PM
Jan 2016
congrats to YOI.. let us see what will be its average disc sales.. maybe 20+K?

anyway.. I noticed BD/DVD sales are only big deals for late night animes..

mainstreams like One Piece and Detective Conan has less than 20K BD but it will be foolish to think they are not making money.

I think the BD sales as an indicator for a next season only applies to late nights animes?
Jan 5, 2017 9:52 PM

Jan 2014
YoI knows only one direction:

Jan 6, 2017 12:11 AM

Nov 2007
@tsubasalover

Oricon has issued a news post on Oricon Youtaiju detailing an error that they made with this week's sales. Yuri on Ice!!! Vol.1 actually sold 50,878 in week 1.

Now I wish Oricon was more willing to admit to having made mistakes on weekly sales, because I know of two other occasions last year, where they've obviously made mistakes for multiple disc but never issued news posts or anything to admit it (only a reissue of the sales for one of those instances).

EjcJan 6, 2017 12:18 AM
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Jan 6, 2017 12:21 AM

Nov 2007
@Ejc
Fixed the numbers and ranking order on the first post, thank you.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 6, 2017 12:35 AM
Mar 2010
HOLY CRAP 50K JESUS CHRIST OMG!
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jan 6, 2017 1:44 AM

Jun 2013
Wait what? YOI sold 50k? This is just wow.
Jan 6, 2017 3:16 AM

Jul 2008
50K is amazing. Wow, wow, wow. I was happy enough with the 35K estimate but this is so much better.

BEGINNER
Jan 6, 2017 3:27 AM
Jul 2018
OMG OMG OMG I CANT BREATH. THAT WAS MY DREAM, GOD LOVES ME SO MUCH T_T
I FUCKING DEAD, 50k ON ITS FIRST WEEK?? VICTOR ASS SAVED THE WORLD <3

I can't believe I logged in just to type thos
Jan 6, 2017 3:55 AM
Mar 2012
TheHollowShrine said:
ichii_1 said:

It sold about 1K :'(
BD2 is out Jan 11.
https://myanimelist.net/news/48936435

Whoa. So much for potential Anonymous;Code adaptation (O;N pseudo-sequel). We got a great anime, it's sad that A-1 didn't get a reward for putting so much effort in it.

A1 can look at Madhouse Alderamin sales (was at 282) and feel good about themselves...
BD boxes seem to be trending. Nice drifters sale. Ajin seems expected.
Kuma Miko is a half cour LE, so 3k is fine for a show that bombed the ratings, seems cost does matter to disc buyers.
Jan 6, 2017 4:38 AM

Sep 2014
So when do we get the S2 announcement for YOI?
Jan 6, 2017 5:10 AM

Mar 2016
LOL They sold MORE?! Wow it REALLY did well, congrats.
Jan 6, 2017 5:35 AM

Apr 2013
They should have announced that mistake in two step.

"we're sorry, there was a massive mistake in YoI vol 1 DVD& BD sold numbers"
All Y(a)oI haters : "We told you that was wrong, there was no way it would sold more than 10k!!!!"
".... it's actually 50k"
All Y(a)oI haters : "WHYYYYYYYYYYY"

Joke aside, I personally don't care about it being a success or being best seller, and simply deplores that once again, all the sales went to the same show rather than being more distributed. YoI would still have been a very good success with 20k, but those 30k difference if distributed among many other shows who didn't do great would have allowed many shows to have a hope for a second season for example.
But once again, it's not. Just like with utapri, love live and the like, the way the sales for BD/DvD anime are so "imbalanced" really contributes to kill anything that isn't specifically catering to most anime otaku( male or female). Peoples complaining that adaptations from novel often leaves things right in the middle (or almost at the beginning, in some cases) needs to understand what creates that. No one wants to invest heavily in something that has 95% of chance to either flop or barely brings any profit. Better of going for something more secure, so it's always going to be the same ingredients that have at least a more secured minimum sale, even if it's not a big success.
Jan 6, 2017 7:03 AM

Dec 2016
Great sales for YOI! Each sale takes us one step closer to the next level with, hopefully,a bigger budget. Looking forward to seeing the sales for certain volumes with certain episodes...we were born to make history!

Anime was the catalyst of my life's downward spiral.
Joining MAL was the nail in my coffin.

Every day I keep screaming into the void,
but god just tells me to shut up.
Jan 6, 2017 7:54 AM

Mar 2015
Now there will be no longer fujoshi bait, pure yaoi will take over the industry for the upcoming years.
Jan 6, 2017 8:36 AM

Jun 2015
That's the best bad news I've heard all week.
Jan 6, 2017 9:12 AM

Nov 2013
yehey!! yoi!! more 'yaoi' anime to come!!
Jan 6, 2017 9:24 AM

Mar 2015
Whaaaaa 50k?! The Fujoshi are running the anime industry right now! Either that or a very hardcore skating fan. And it's just one week. Who the heck knows how much it will make in its final run.

Jan 6, 2017 9:31 AM
Jul 2018
DarklordVor said:
And it's just one week.

Only 3 days, the DVD/Blu-ray was out on 30th December 2016. This list is counted till 1st January 2017.
Jan 6, 2017 9:38 AM

Mar 2015
Yaoi-Senpai said:
DarklordVor said:
And it's just one week.

Only 3 days, the DVD/Blu-ray was out on 30th December 2016. This list is counted till 1st January 2017.

Even crazier! Considering probably not everyone go to their local BD/DVD shop to buy it during new year holiday.

Jan 6, 2017 9:52 AM

May 2010
I like to check this thread regularly just to see how many people lose their shit over YoI sales... XD
Jan 6, 2017 9:58 AM

Feb 2014
Those updated sales are just wow. Its a mega-hit!
Jan 6, 2017 10:04 AM

Aug 2015
There was a mistake? I wonder how much lower it wa— oh...
Jan 6, 2017 10:17 AM
Jul 2018
What a nightmare with Yaoi on Ice and all the fujoshi shows lately..., meanwhile, good shoujo anime like Chihayafuru and Akagami no Shiruyaki-Hime with crappy sales.

I hope we are not entering in a fujobait-idol anime era.
removed-userJan 6, 2017 10:32 AM
Jan 6, 2017 11:29 AM

Aug 2009
I'm definitely following this topic just so I can see all these boys crying about YOI selling like crazy :D
Jan 6, 2017 11:46 AM

Apr 2009
Roy_Mustang93 said:
What a nightmare with Yaoi on Ice and all the fujoshi shows lately..., meanwhile, good shoujo anime like Chihayafuru and Akagami no Shiruyaki-Hime with crappy sales.

Well, the shoujo fans could try to buy the anime that appeals to them!

Jan 6, 2017 1:56 PM

Sep 2012
Jin_uzuki said:
Roy_Mustang93 said:

Well, the shoujo fans could try to buy the anime that appeals to them!
Shoujo fans buy the PRODUCT that appeals to them and that's shoujo MANGA. They don't buy anime discs, it's as simple as that. I would love it if they'd buy more anime discs but it's their choice, right?

This season the people who buy the most discs are buying Yuuri on Ice, Uta no Prince Sama, Touken Ranbu and Haikyuu. People buy discs because they want to buy it! It's really that simple! They may want the anime itself or the event ticket or a bonus novel or manga or figure but they buy it because they want to buy it. Those shows made themselves more appealing to disc buyers than anything else.

Male otaku are spending their money on mobile games instead of anime discs. Just the way it is. Nothing worth getting angry or sad over. For what it's worth, poor sales or not they still make lots of shows for male otaku so just enjoy them and support them any way you can. Again... simple as that.
Jan 6, 2017 8:47 PM

Nov 2007
DarklordVor said:
Yaoi-Senpai said:

Even crazier! Considering probably not everyone go to their local BD/DVD shop to buy it during new year holiday.

It's 6 days actually, as it did rank within the Oricon BD/DVD daily ranking of December 27th:
http://katsu.ula.cc/test/read.cgi/piropiro320jp/1432224816/514

Some retailers sent out discs much earlier than usual (the usual is 1 day before release day) due to the New Year Holidays.
EjcJan 6, 2017 8:51 PM
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Jan 6, 2017 9:05 PM

Jun 2015
YoI, Love Live!, B-Project and Show by Rock all in the top 10...

Sadly not surprised, but come on, can those of us who appreciate shows with good writing and something to say up our support game a tad?
Jan 6, 2017 9:45 PM

Oct 2011
Boohoo my waifu moe shows didn't sell as well as Yuri!!! On Ice
Keijo!!!!!!!!!! is a masterpiece
I'm upset when anime are made that aren't genres I like
How dare other anime be made
10 moe shows per season isn't enough
Anime should only be about high school girls
I have to show my disdain for anime I never watch even though I should just ignore them
Jan 7, 2017 5:16 AM

Apr 2015
Ejc said:
DarklordVor said:

It's 6 days actually, as it did rank within the Oricon BD/DVD daily ranking of December 27th:

Some retailers sent out discs much earlier than usual (the usual is 1 day before release day) due to the New Year Holidays.

Aren't those preorders though? Its not like people were walking in and buying copies on the 27th. (And preorders arent affected by days out obviously, as they just get dumped in the first week) I thought they were talking about a possible suppression of storefront, as thats pretty much the only thing affected by days released and YoI has an audience with storefront tendencies. (Also due to the fact that its release was the day before NYE)
daggerswithrosesJan 7, 2017 5:24 AM
Jan 7, 2017 5:52 AM

Nov 2007
daggerswithroses said:
Ejc said:

Aren't those preorders though? Its not like people were walking in and buying copies on the 27th. (And preorders arent affected by days out obviously, as they just get dumped in the first week) I thought they were talking about a possible suppression of storefront, as thats pretty much the only thing affected by days released and YoI has an audience with storefront tendencies. (Also due to the fact that its release was the day before NYE)

You are right, that if this was a normal week, the sales would've been spread over 4 days instead of over 6 days. However, Anime disc sales are usually front loaded unless there are major stock issues. Within the first week, pre-release and release day (or storefront day) are the most important days, so it's really irrelevant how many days an anime disc was on sale within the first week. As I said, it only makes a big difference later on if there was major stock issues (see Girls und Panzer as one of the most recent examples) within the first week of sales. As for Yuri!!! on Ice, it was doing very well from the Animate online rankings, and doing well at Amazon JP, which means that we can reasonably say that the bulk of the first week sales was from pre-orders.
Jan 7, 2017 5:58 AM

Dec 2009
YUUUUUUUURIIII <33333333 50K IS JUST AMAZING! I'm so happy for them! Please have a second season I'm just dying to watch it T___T -still heavily invested with feels even though the show's already ended- (does anyone want to talk about feels with me... lets have a feels moment just you and me...)

To everyone speaking as if its the dirt on your ceiling or something, I think you should give us a break! We don't trash talk your boobie girls anyway even when two girls smush them together!

Thank you for the sweetest purest show about romance and finding your inner confidence at the toughest moments and about SUPPORTIVE COMPETITORS IMAGINE THAT and about love and joy and for making me feel so alive
THANK YOU
Jan 7, 2017 6:11 AM

Apr 2015
Ejc said:
daggerswithroses said:

You are right, that if this was a normal week, the sales would've been spread over 4 days instead of over 6 days. However, Anime disc sales are usually front loaded unless there are major stock issues. Within the first week, pre-release and release day (or storefront day) are the most important days, so it's really irrelevant how many days an anime disc was on sale within the first week. As I said, it only makes a big difference later on if there was major stock issues (see Girls und Panzer as one of the most recent examples) within the first week of sales. As for Yuri!!! on Ice, it was doing very well from the Animate online rankings, and doing well at Amazon JP, which means that we can reasonably say that the bulk of the first week sales was from pre-orders.

Well, yeah, generally days from release don't matter because storefront isn't a big percentage of sales. Though these last few weeks we've seen small bumps from Friday releases the next week, so I wouldn't say the idea is entirely without merit. ReZero comes to mind. Also I wouldn't dismiss Yuri on Ice's storefront entirely due to its historically very storefront friendly audience though. I just don't see why good online rankings necessarily precludes good storefront.
daggerswithrosesJan 7, 2017 6:18 AM
Jan 7, 2017 9:03 AM
Jul 2018
Ejc said:
DarklordVor said:

Are you sure? A girl in Twitter say that she find 2 Japanese website, saying that YOI sold for 4 days, other one said 5. Anyway, let's count it as a week.
Jan 7, 2017 10:27 AM

Sep 2012
Yaoi-Senpai said:
Ejc said:

Are you sure? A girl in Twitter say that she find 2 Japanese website, saying that YOI sold for 4 days, other one said 5. Anyway, let's count it as a week.
Yes, really. I didn't buy YOI but I bought Pile's new CD and live BD. Both came out on the 28th. Mine shipped on the 23rd... 4 days early even if you count pre-release day. Most retailers were closed early for New Years holidays and most suppliers sent stuff out early as they didn't want to be working late in the week either.
Jan 7, 2017 1:04 PM

Apr 2015
hpulley said:
Yaoi-Senpai said:

Yes, really. I didn't buy YOI but I bought Pile's new CD and live BD. Both came out on the 28th. Mine shipped on the 23rd... 4 days early even if you count pre-release day. Most retailers were closed early for New Years holidays and most suppliers sent stuff out early as they didn't want to be working late in the week either.

You're completely missing the point though. It doesn't matter how you divide up pre sales- whether you stretch them over days or just dump them on release day. How many "days it was out" while retailers were shipping preorders is completely irrelevant when talking about storefront. When talking about potentional storefront supression YoI volume 1 was on shelves for 4 days- two of which were major holidays so it wasn't even on shelves for a whole weekend.

A better argument is over whether YoI actually has a visible storefront. It was mentioned before that because it had great presales, it would probably have poor storefront. I don't follow this logic, personally, but it's a theory anyway. On the other hand, women buy storefront pretty frequently, and YoI has a disc buying audience with a lot of women.
Jan 7, 2017 1:22 PM

Sep 2012
daggerswithroses said:
hpulley said:

You're completely missing the point though. It doesn't matter how you divide up pre sales- whether you stretch them over days or just dump them on release day. How many "days it was out" while retailers were shipping preorders is completely irrelevant when talking about storefront. When talking about potentional storefront supression YoI volume 1 was on shelves for 4 days- two of which were major holidays so it wasn't even on shelves for a whole weekend.

A better argument is over whether YoI actually has a visible storefront. It was mentioned before that because it had great presales, it would probably have poor storefront. I don't follow this logic, personally, but it's a theory anyway. On the other hand, women buy storefront pretty frequently, and YoI has a disc buying audience with a lot of women.
YOI definitely had a lot of storefront sales, especially at Animate. I tried to find announcements of days when Animate would be closed over the holidays but I couldn't actually find any. I think January 1st was actually the only official holiday in Japan during the sales period, though many businesses and people do take that whole week off, I'm not sure about Animate. Seems they had stuff going on the whole time:
hpulleyJan 7, 2017 1:26 PM
Jan 7, 2017 2:18 PM

Apr 2015
hpulley said:
daggerswithroses said:

YOI definitely had a lot of storefront sales, especially at Animate. I tried to find announcements of days when Animate would be closed over the holidays but I couldn't actually find any. I think January 1st was actually the only official holiday in Japan during the sales period, though many businesses and people do take that whole week off, I'm not sure about Animate. Seems they had stuff going on the whole time:

Yeah, I'm not confident at all of the effect of the holiday on storefront. It's interesting to think about though and I do think there is potentional for supression. It's not every day you get a storefront friendly megahit release over New Years weekend! Or an Oricon notice of change! We'll see week two soon enough anyway.
Jan 8, 2017 4:26 AM

Apr 2014
YOI on top with 50k? Well, I'll just prepare for the upcoming inflation on the amount of yaoi being made each season.
Jan 8, 2017 5:42 AM
Jul 2018
hpulley said:
Yaoi-Senpai said:

Oh wait you are right. Thanks.
Jan 8, 2017 3:47 PM

May 2012
I wish I could support both Hibike! Euphonium and Flip Flappers, but I had to go with Hibike! Euphonium. I dont have the funds to do both.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 10 hours ago

40 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
8 hours ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
12 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

10 by DylanVSAnimez »»
Yesterday, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.