Forum Settings
Forums

A rating system that I think you will all like

New
Jan 6, 2017 7:34 AM

Jul 2015
Ok, I think we can all find something that we can complain about when it comes to the rating system, and the only solutions I can see are hit or miss.

I think I've come up with a system that can work for everyone - this system will not need MAL to change the current system, will encourage people to rate honestly, will encourage people to rate more, give an incentive for people to create a MAL account and will only use features already available.

I noticed that there's a feature on everyone's profile that works out your affinity with other members based on how close you both rated shared anime.

My suggestion is to add a second rating system where you can see how people with similar tastes have rated the anime that you're looking at. Basically combine the affinity system and the current rating system to come up with an affinity rating system that scores only using members that are a certain affinity percentage to you or above.

Simply put, a score based on people who share your tastes.

So, on an anime's page under statistics, it would look a little like this:

Statistics
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Score: 6.591 (scored by 27,177 users)
Affinity Score: 8.533 (scored by 3,189 users)

This will give an incentive for people to rate anime as honestly as possible so that affinity scores are as close to their tastes as possible.

I also see this bringing life to a lot of low rated anime that would only appeal to certain tastes, but have gone largely unnoticed because of their low scores.

I understand that some people may be against this because they believe their tastes are absolute and anyone who does not agree with them is wrong, but they'll still have the original rating system to argue about.

In case you haven't figured it out already, this suggestion is not a replacement of the current rating system, it adds to it. Its main purpose is to help each other find new anime that we may have otherwise ignored based on their low scores, and to find new friends with similar tastes.

Other fun things that could come out of this are:

- Affinity charts: Top anime based on affinity scores instead of regular scores. Basically everyone gets their own personalised anime ranking based on their tastes.

- Members ranking: A list of the members who have the most people in their affinity group. Basically members whose tastes match up with the most people.

I'm sure I can come up with more but I'm hungry and I got a pizza in the fridge.

So what you guys think?
Jan 6, 2017 9:37 AM

Feb 2015
The_Badguy said:

My suggestion is to add a second rating system where you can see how people with similar tastes

Ohhh this is interesting... I wanna see how people will rant about how superior their taste once again...xD

I don't know but I guess I don't care, rating are just superficial stuff that allows stuff to come-in and go. I don't like superficial shit that allows it to label "me" as I think someone who isn't(probably). What about the trollers then OP?
Jan 9, 2017 3:20 PM

Jul 2015
The_Badguy said:

My suggestion is to add a second rating system where you can see how people with similar tastes have rated the anime that you're looking at.

I really like this idea!

I sometimes tend to ignore low rated anime since I don't like wasting my time. In the past, there have been are some anime that I have watched that are in my opinion, way underrated. So many people will skip low rated anime or avoid it. There are some hidden gems that I am sure I am missing out due to the current rating system

We would also need something to weed out the trolls who create accounts just to put low scores. That would be nice!

Jan 9, 2017 6:30 PM

Jul 2015
_Ako_ said:

What about the trollers then OP?

Shad0w77 said:

We would also need something to weed out the trolls who create accounts just to put low scores.

That's the beauty of it, it's really hard/impossible to troll. You can create as many accounts as you want just to rate anime low, but that score is only going to affect those who rated anime similarly to those troll accounts - which is other troll accounts.

For an account to influence another account, it needs to have have rated shared anime similarly - and you can't spam low scores and match someone else's scores at the same time, it's impossible.
Jan 9, 2017 6:34 PM
Jul 2018
+1

Love the idea of affinity scores! I have also had times where I've liked shows I thought was gonna be trash because of the overall score.
Jan 9, 2017 8:10 PM

Feb 2015
The_Badguy said:
_Ako_ said:

What about the trollers then OP?

Shad0w77 said:

We would also need something to weed out the trolls who create accounts just to put low scores.

That's the beauty of it, it's really hard/impossible to troll. You can create as many accounts as you want just to rate anime low, but that score is only going to affect those who rated anime similarly to those troll accounts - which is other troll accounts.

For an account to influence another account, it needs to have have rated shared anime similarly - and you can't spam low scores and match someone else's scores at the same time, it's impossible.

Now now... You have to explain it very clearly to me dude... Think about it, I'm the naive child who don't know what life is about. You're an adult who's going to explain it to me.
Jan 9, 2017 8:17 PM

May 2010
_Ako_ said:

Now now... You have to explain it very clearly to me dude... Think about it, I'm the naive child who don't know what life is about. You're an adult who's going to explain it to me.

what's so not clear? trolls wouldn't affect affinity score since there's no way they rate similarly as normal people does.
Jan 9, 2017 8:20 PM

Feb 2015
petalshreds said:
_Ako_ said:

what's so not clear? trolls wouldn't affect affinity score since there's no way they rate similarly as normal people does.

Interesting... That's a good way to put it rather than one big shit. Thank you dude.

In my conclusion, I firmly agree to this idea.
Jan 9, 2017 9:45 PM

Oct 2014
I've actually thought about this idea before too. I think it would work well if the scores were weighted based on affinity (10% affinity = 0.1 weight, 80% affinity = 0.8 weight, 0% and below = 0 weight). This way the scores are based directly on exactly how similar that person's taste is to yours (you have 100% affinity to yourself and therefore have 1 weight) so collectively it should even out to give a somewhat accurate guess as to what you would rate the anime. I believe the score should also be balanced out to fit your rating system since people who think of anime similarly to you don't necessarily rate anime in a similar way. The affinity system is already about what direction the scores are pointing in so you might be able to just convert it to what that direction would mean for you.
Jan 10, 2017 1:09 AM

Jun 2015
I support this.

Mods do this.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jan 10, 2017 1:14 AM

Jun 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
I've actually thought about this idea before too. I think it would work well if the scores were weighted based on affinity (10% affinity = 0.1 weight, 80% affinity = 0.8 weight, 0% and below = 0 weight). This way the scores are based directly on exactly how similar that person's taste is to yours (you have 100% affinity to yourself and therefore have 1 weight) so collectively it should even out to give a somewhat accurate guess as to what you would rate the anime. I believe the score should also be balanced out to fit your rating system since people who think of anime similarly to you don't necessarily rate anime in a similar way. The affinity system is already about what direction the scores are pointing in so you might be able to just convert it to what that direction would mean for you.

I can't believe that I read that..
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jan 10, 2017 2:32 AM

Nov 2014
Great idea and I can't really find any good argument against it.
Tbh I never expected to see good suggestion about rating system, I'm surprised.
Jan 10, 2017 6:45 AM

Apr 2015
Hmm. This seems like it could be quite effective.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jan 12, 2017 5:10 PM

Jul 2015
zombie_pegasus said:

Yeah I think that could work, but I think there should be a cut off percentage because two people with wildly different tasted are still going to have a certain affinity, and it would be counter productive to have them influence each other's scores, even if it's only a little.

Basically 10 people with 10% affinity have the same influence as 1 person with 100% affinity, but those 10 people have little in common with you therefore they'll cancel out a lot of people who genuinely have the same tastes as you. As long as those who have little in common with you outnumber those who share your tastes by over a certain ratio, then those with little in common will influence your scores more than those who share your tastes.

I think 70% is a good cut-off point, so for 0% to 70% accounts don't influence each other, and then from 70% to 100% are weighted.
Jan 12, 2017 5:28 PM

Oct 2014
The_Badguy said:
zombie_pegasus said:

Yeah I think that could work, but I think there should be a cut off percentage because two people with wildly different tasted are still going to have a certain affinity, and it would be counter productive to have them influence each other's scores, even if it's only a little.

Basically 10 people with 10% affinity have the same influence as 1 person with 100% affinity, but those 10 people have little in common with you therefore they'll cancel out a lot of people who genuinely have the same tastes as you. As long as those who have little in common with you outnumber those who share your tastes by over a certain ratio, then those with little in common will influence your scores more than those who share your tastes.

I think 70% is a good cut-off point, so for 0% to 70% accounts don't influence each other, and then from 70% to 100% are weighted.
I think if there were to be a cutoff it should be user set. I personally think 25% would be a good default. There are some people out there who only have a handful of users they have a 70% affinity with or higher and when you only have a small pool to gather data from its bound to be inaccurate. Because MAL doesn't give affinities between people who have fewer than 10 shared rated titles it's quite rare to find any two people who have a 100% affinity to each other. You could also try using squares or something so that higher affinities are valued even higher.
Jan 12, 2017 7:15 PM

Jul 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
I think if there were to be a cutoff it should be user set. I personally think 25% would be a good default. There are some people out there who only have a handful of users they have a 70% affinity with or higher and when you only have a small pool to gather data from its bound to be inaccurate. Because MAL doesn't give affinities between people who have fewer than 10 shared rated titles it's quite rare to find any two people who have a 100% affinity to each other. You could also try using squares or something so that higher affinities are valued even higher.

Maybe 70% was too ambitious - anyways, the user set idea would probably be the best course of action, I imagine every account would have it's own sweet spot.
Jan 13, 2017 2:27 AM

Dec 2014
Great idea! Mods, do this!...pleaaaase!
Jan 13, 2017 2:39 AM

Jan 2015
Hmm, not bad. Not bad at all.
Jan 13, 2017 2:48 AM

Dec 2015
No. Since they already don't want a feature that lets you search for users with high affinity because it would use a lot of server resources I guess this also won't get implemented. This would take even more resource/calculation.

Scores would have to be calculated for each user individually. (Comparing each user against all other users to check affinity and then calculating scores.)

Maybe it would work if this got updated only every now and then (not real-time). But then again ... affinity is useless often.

I found some people with high affinity where I thought they had totally different taste (low amount of shared anime or high amount of shared but they only scored a few where we had the same score which was enough for high affinity). And people with lower affinity that had a similar taste - at least for certain genre/types of anime.

Better let it show the scores of your friends only (and calculate an average/mean out of that). Then try do add people with similar taste to your friends. (Friends only = less people and not all the users in the database. And it could you could manually make sure they have similar taste before adding them.)
Jan 13, 2017 7:37 PM

Jul 2015
Luthandorius said:
No. Since they already don't want a feature that lets you search for users with high affinity because it would use a lot of server resources I guess this also won't get implemented. This would take even more resource/calculation.

Scores would have to be calculated for each user individually. (Comparing each user against all other users to check affinity and then calculating scores.)

Maybe it would work if this got updated only every now and then (not real-time). But then again ... affinity is useless often.

I found some people with high affinity where I thought they had totally different taste (low amount of shared anime or high amount of shared but they only scored a few where we had the same score which was enough for high affinity). And people with lower affinity that had a similar taste - at least for certain genre/types of anime.

Better let it show the scores of your friends only (and calculate an average/mean out of that). Then try do add people with similar taste to your friends. (Friends only = less people and not all the users in the database. And it could you could manually make sure they have similar taste before adding them.)

It's a computer, it's main purpose is to perform calculations. Yes it's going to increase resource usage but not as much as you think. The calculations themselves are basic, consisting of searching and averaging the results.
Jan 13, 2017 7:50 PM

Dec 2016
I'm honestly impressed OP. It would generally take a little bit of work to make it work but I can see it working out.
Jan 14, 2017 1:15 AM

Dec 2011
Not a bad idea but what about for those who rate few or no anime? Would they just not have this type of score?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 14, 2017 1:41 AM

Jul 2015
kuuderes_shadow said:
Not a bad idea but what about for those who rate few or no anime? Would they just not have this type of score?

It's a self feeding system. The more you put in, the more you get out of it. That's why I said in the original post that it's going to encourage people to rate more, rate honestly, and sign up to the site.

After all, the reason we have ratings is because people took the time to share what they think of the anime they've watched.

BTW, that line about shit taste on your sig is beautiful. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Jan 15, 2017 3:54 PM

Jun 2015
The_Badguy said:
kuuderes_shadow said:

It's a self feeding system. The more you put in, the more you get out of it. That's why I said in the original post that it's going to encourage people to rate more, rate honestly, and sign up to the site.

After all, the reason we have ratings is because people took the time to share what they think of the anime they've watched.

BTW, that line about shit taste on your sig is beautiful. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I think having a minimum of 40 anime on your list would also improve this idea.
Jan 15, 2017 9:20 PM

Aug 2013
Aside from affinity, I dunno if people's mean score should be factored in scoring.

I have seen many new recent series that slightly ok-ish to me only to have score below 7.
If their mean score is 7, that mean the score is below average.
But if their mean score is 5, then the rating for the anime is correct with 6 point something score.

And it seem now MAL's average score is drop compared to most of old school series.
It seem like the trend for anime average score are much lower.

I think from start, maybe MAL can use "average score from friends" since going through all people with similar affinity will take a lot of time.
Nah, i dont think sharing anime ratings in signature is cool thing.

Here, stare at this pointless signature instead.
Jan 16, 2017 7:03 AM

Jun 2015
iwansquall said:
Aside from affinity, I dunno if people's mean score should be factored in scoring.

I have seen many new recent series that slightly ok-ish to me only to have score below 7.
If their mean score is 7, that mean the score is below average.
But if their mean score is 5, then the rating for the anime is correct with 6 point something score.

And it seem now MAL's average score is drop compared to most of old school series.
It seem like the trend for anime average score are much lower.

I think from start, maybe MAL can use "average score from friends" since going through all people with similar affinity will take a lot of time.

wtf are you talking about?
People their mean score shouldn't be. But the affinity list is a gr8 way to find anime that you would surely like.

More topics from this board

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Yesterday, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Yesterday, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.