Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jan 4, 2017 1:55 AM
Jul 2018
VersoSciolto said:
GenesisAria said:
@VersoSciolto
I was mostly talking about how the stuff they played was pretty complex. I wouldn't be surprised it it was accurate to japanese highschool, i was just curious if anyone noticed the fact that they weren't playing simple songs at all.

I don't remember where I read it but the suggestion was made that at least one piece of music was changed from the novel version because it was a bit too complex for kids of middle school and high school age.

It has been noted a few times along the way that the level required to play these compositions is pretty high and the music complex. It has also been noted that the musicians adjusted to sound age appropriate for the characters they were enacting.

Good opportunity to restate that I came to this series because of the musical instruments in promotion artwork and I thought the way the musical scenes were animated was outstanding. Confirmed by people with experience although a couple pages back someone posted about not being that impressed or moved by the performances....
Just in case, post with links ... This list was posted on a different board last year in which a lot of the Japanese High School bands were mentioned that served as the inspirations for Takeda. Not quite what you were after or what I was referring to -regarding the reasons behind the changed musical pieces and their complexity - but perhaps this is still interesting as a reference - for comparison with the performances in this animated series, for you or for someone else reading along.

https://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=5616740&postcount=152
Jan 4, 2017 12:10 PM
Jun 2012
They really didnt show any of the Nationals Performance I'm still angry about it.
Jan 4, 2017 6:25 PM
Feb 2012
tolga1991 said:
They really didnt show any of the Nationals Performance I'm still angry about it.

Its simple: They didnt won the gold, so it doesnt matter how beautifull they played. Not showing emphasizes this feeling form the characters.
Jan 5, 2017 6:58 AM
Jun 2012
jpmc said:
tolga1991 said:

Its simple: They didnt won the gold, so it doesnt matter how beautifull they played. Not showing emphasizes this feeling form the characters.

Then they should remove Music from the genres.
Jan 5, 2017 6:59 AM

Dec 2013
My most favourite show has ended, and there's no season 3 possibility (right? Because KyoAni used (almost) all the source material, and the novel is completed).
10/10, I'll miss it so much.
Jan 5, 2017 7:08 AM

Dec 2013
tolga1991 said:

I disagree. The main point in this episode wasn't their performance (heck, it'll be the same as regional, and KyoAni perfectly showed it. Why repeat the same thing?), but how intense the waiting was. And relatioships. And the fact that this is the last performance of senior students.
+ time limit of the episode.

And don't be salty, there's more than enough music in this show.
Jan 5, 2017 1:55 PM

Aug 2015
tolga1991 said:
jpmc said:

Then they should remove Music from the genres.

thats not how it works though ...

You had a 8 min performance without stopping in ep 5 a 3 or 4 minues performance in ep 7 , 2 performances in this episode, a lot of talk about music so idk why they should remove the music tag just because they didn´t show the performance in the last episode, even though they used that time in a better way
Jan 5, 2017 5:21 PM
Jul 2018

I wish they'd allowed Reina's character more dignity at the the nationals stage. I was really looking forward to hearing how - if at all- her performance of the trumpet solo would have changed after the many changes in her life. I wanted to see Reina speak through her trumpet during that competition too.

“I am shocked at myself for how weak I am”

That's what Reina was made to say in the flashback at the start of S2, E12 - right as the curtain opens on the new piece. The very first scene of the episode. A quick reminder of the pivotal moments from the previous episode.

How does Reina show that she is not weak? Not by playing her trumpet - pan’s pipes, his tribute to Syrinx, the one who got away. Nozomi’s flute likewise silenced has to make due with a fist bump behind the stage. So how does Reina declare herself worthy of attention? By shouting out her love from a seat among the audience in a full theater - to the amusement of her peers and onlooking strangers.

That is Reina’s solo this episode. Not the sounding of her trumpet heralding her love for him as well as her love for music and her love for her instrument but by using her natural voice as an immature school girl, not quite a musician worthy of the gold.

Is that the symbolism?

The argument that the performance would have been a repetition doesn't hold water for me. That is the essence of live music performance. Not one concert is the same - even by the same musicians or ensemble it will sound different. I'm not entirely sure what the reason was for not showing the performance at nationals in S2, E11, but I consider it a missed opportunity and potentially even a slight indication of underestimating the audience. Maybe the animation staff thought we would not be able to hear the difference if they recorded the same piece again but with changes in the sound. (...though that last point may be too cynical a view of the reasons why the actual performance was skipped.)

The trumpet moments in this final episode, S3, E13, were nice though and it would have been more difficult to have shown those exchanged glances between Reina and Kaori during the actual performance on stage at nationals. Showing the solo on that stage wouldn't have made it possible to show Kaori's finger movements the way it was shown here, with Kaori as a spectator. As a member of the audience. As a retired musician who might have played that solo on that stage, under different circumstances.

What lessons did Yuuko learn from that episode when Kaori and Reina competed for the solo. How will she decide if a similar conflict comes up during her tenure as club president? Was it ultimately worth it to replace Kaori as the soloist?
Reina and Kaori are different characters, with different personalities and temperaments. Which one of these two young women came out of all this looking better? Kaori or Reina? The club's Madonna or the The Yuki-onna?

It definitely wasn't all about music, but music is an expression of emotions too and it might have been possible to let the music do the talking about the relationships at Nationals before they showed them together again one last time in this clubroom, in this last episode.
Jan 5, 2017 5:29 PM

May 2016
a little bit confused when they skip the final performance,
but i think it works out great, since we dont need to built unnecessary tension when they ended up losing anyway, also it's easier to accept that way and probably the best possible way if the author wants us to focus on the other part, umm by other part i mean the gay part
Jan 5, 2017 5:49 PM
Jul 2018
The last time we heard Reina play the solo in competition was in S2,E5. We know Reina was playing for Kumiko that time. Maybe KyoAni thought that performance was more important?
Jan 5, 2017 6:00 PM

Apr 2015
BEAUTIFUL! better than season 1. the retirement of 3rd years was so sad. :(
Jan 6, 2017 7:52 PM

May 2010
Okay then, decent enough episode, I didn't expect Kumiko to love Asuka so much suddenly, even after what happened :v

It was a bit slow ending though, life goes on, senpais are gone, and I feel like not that much has changed. This season was a bit boring compared to the first one, and it had not enough Reina </3
I'm kinda glad that they didn't go anywhere with "love" between Kumiko and Shuuichi, because that'd be a good joke. Judging by the episodes I've seen they seem like they dislike each other or are pretty much strangers in the best case scenario :|

In the end, it wasn't a bad show, loved some of the shots and music, but it had no impact on me whatsoever. I didn't really care for any character that much, the emotional stuff was pretty weak, I didn't even like this series enough to follow it weekly. So I am slightly disappointed. 7/10
Jan 8, 2017 9:20 AM

Sep 2016
quite enjoyed this the characters had me in mixed emotions throughout the series and changed my perspective drastically on characters like asuka,yuuko, and shuuichi character development in this anime is truly unique and omae's thoughts and emotions envoke all good things must come to an end so cherish them while you can this has never been more real for all of us amazing show 8/10
Facta Non Verba
Jan 9, 2017 3:03 PM
Apr 2014
well in the end no gold for the school and apparently that's it. Kinda unusual to only tell one year of the main character. Especially with all this "next year we are going to win"-talk.

TBH after seeing the final and knowing from other people that the novel is fully adapted (with a a few little missing parts) it is kinda sad they didn't "win" the competition. I mean all the third-years had their last chance and the rest could win but we will never find out.

Even worse the final episode felt so open-ended. Are they going to see them again? Is Kumiko just keeping Asuka's book? Damn... Don't just end a story after one school year >.>

Well. All in all it was pretty nice. Would have liked to see maybe a little bit romance but in the end we didn't even get any at all. I guess there wouldn't have been enough time to do both properly so it might be for the better they skipped that.
Jan 10, 2017 5:24 PM

Feb 2008
Soundtrack is out boys.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Jan 13, 2017 5:28 PM

Feb 2013
Can't believe I enjoyed this series this much tbh, a lot better than the first season

I really like how they gave Reina a lot less screen time and actually let other characters develop instead of yuribaiting, which was still in it this season but a lot less. Focusing more on the band also helped making it way more impactful

Asuka best girl
Jan 14, 2017 9:19 AM

Dec 2012
The last scene with Asuka was beautiful, it's a nice way to end the anime. Also nice to learn what the title means :).

It's confirmed, I really preferred this season. I was already in love with the first one, but I felt a little less implicated when watching it. Nonetheless, during this season, I got goosebumps several times and I I felt more excitement or sadness.

All the drama stories were really beautiful and fitted so well with the characters. By the way, I think that the characters are the main reason why I love this anime. They all seem so real that we feel concerned by what happens. Even the discussion between Kumiro and Reina looks like real friends, it's truly amazing to see.
Speaking of Kumiko, OMG! The seiyuu is so talented! Kurosawa, Tomoyo, you totally won my respect. Asuka is also one of my favorite character and I found very interesting the fact that the relation between Kumiko and her was not a simple friendship.

The songs and the performances were perfect and I found them better integrated in the story. Kyoto Animation did an awesome job. Will miss that show *_*
I need a CD gathering all the songs!
Jan 17, 2017 12:29 PM
Dec 2016
I can't deny this was my first experience of anime outside of the usual Naruto episodes that I have watched, since then I have come a long way but this will always have some sort of sentimental value because of this. As a series as a whole I gave it a 7, as I got a grasp of more and more anime I began to learn that the whole music genre wasn't really my style. I would've preferred more romance tbh but that's not for everyone and I understand that romance is not what this anime was aiming for. Instead it was about bonds between friendship and how music can reinforce those bonds. Will always love Reina <3 but i've moved on. For now all I can say is thank you for the series, I enjoyed it while it lasted. I know i'm a bit late, I got sidetracked and forgot to post a reply :)
Jan 17, 2017 7:39 PM

Jan 2013
nathanial292 said:
I can't deny this was my first experience of anime outside of the usual Naruto episodes that I have watched, since then I have come a long way but this will always have some sort of sentimental value because of this. As a series as a whole I gave it a 7, as I got a grasp of more and more anime I began to learn that the whole music genre wasn't really my style. I would've preferred more romance tbh but that's not for everyone and I understand that romance is not what this anime was aiming for. Instead it was about bonds between friendship and how music can reinforce those bonds. Will always love Reina <3 but i've moved on. For now all I can say is thank you for the series, I enjoyed it while it lasted. I know i'm a bit late, I got sidetracked and forgot to post a reply :)

After a while you'll probably get tired of seeing romance shoehorned in everywhere and appreciate more shows like this. That was my experience when watching anime anyway.
Jan 18, 2017 12:42 AM
Dec 2016
TitanAnteus said:
nathanial292 said:

After a while you'll probably get tired of seeing romance shoehorned in everywhere and appreciate more shows like this. That was my experience when watching anime anyway.

Yeah I get what you mean, I've been watching some more action fantasy type stuff like Shingeki no Kyojin and Log horizon recently. Trying to step away from romance a bit and I think I found new favourite genre. 😄 Still need to watch shigatsu wa kimi no uso, couldnt get used to the animation style though. 😣 Those eyes and lips...
Jan 24, 2017 7:21 PM

May 2012
Pretty solid ending I must say! Quite enjoyed this second season a lot I must say.
Had a great advance in character development and progression of this story!

All in all a wonderful anime, with great musical parts and character development!
Jan 26, 2017 11:40 PM

Jun 2009
Nooooo, I don't want it to be over. I want, like, 15 more seasons of this :(

We even got a friggin' title drop in this episode! So amazing!
Jan 27, 2017 5:28 AM

Mar 2015
What a send-off this finale was, sadly it felt very conclusive and I doubt we'd be seeing more.

But hey it ended on a high and bittersweet note (no pun intended) and definitely goes down as one of the better series of 2016!

9/10!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 29, 2017 9:55 PM

Jan 2016
I'm satisfied with this episode! I really enjoyed the performance by the underclassmen, since the way it was handled really gave a nice final sense of closure to characters that experience a lot of conflict like Reina, Kaori, Yuko, Mizore, and Nozomi.

Everybody got a bit of the spotlight, aside from Midori and Hazuki as usual, who literally had no role in the plot the entire season. It's amusing how despite this KyoAni still insisted on promoting them strongly in openings, endings, and promotional material.

I'm extremely glad this episode didn't focus on some Shuichi romance.

Yuuko and Natsuki will make great leaders of the band! What I like about Yuuko is that her loyalty was both a strength and weakness. Last season it made her come across as, well, an irrational bitch, but this season her loyalty to her friends was shown to also be a positive quality that makes her very caring towards others and determined. Natsuki is very down to earth and is the perfect partner to her.

Gotta say, Asuka really surprised me. Like Kumiko, I think I actually hated her in season 1, but over the course of this season she ended up being one of my favorite characters. Kumiko's confession was really touching. Maybe Asuka actually won the Kumiko bowl.

I found season 1 better. The Mizore arc was a real slog so this season took a while to really get going, but the Asuka arc was probably my favorite thing out of either season.

The title drop at the end was wonderful and heartwarming. I'll really miss this show!
mintkatJan 29, 2017 10:04 PM
Jan 30, 2017 2:32 AM

Jul 2009
Is really sad that we won't see much of Asuka, and I really liked how Kumiko said goodbye, I never noticed she hated Asuka in the beginning.
I liked the choice of the new president and the vice haha if there's a 3rd season in the future, they will be the best part of it!
Jan 30, 2017 8:56 PM

Aug 2013
Wellp, finally got around to watching this. I wasn't exactly looking forward to it and had it on hold for the longest time. I have mixed feelings after watching it, and think I was at least half right.

I think the first half of the show was god awful. The very first episode alone...nothing but forced shitty melodrama the entire time. They just got gold in the competition, and immediately every single character was already all fucking moody and gloomy. Oumae's lines consisted 95% of "oh? eh? mmm... wakanai. eh? mmmm..."

Immediately after that first episode I legit wanted to eat a bullet. The thought of having to get through 12 more episodes of that bullshit was painful.

I wasn't too thrilled with the entire first half of the show. They managed to ruin what should be an enjoyable pool episode with even more awful melodrama. The entire first half revolving around Mizore and Nozomi was pretty bad. The entire generic premise of "misunderstanding between friends" but blown up into this absurdly huge deal over multiple episodes. Absolutely ridiculous. All of that because Nozomi never said anything, but Mizore never asked.

I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed the latter half though. It felt like a lot of things came full circle. I particularly enjoyed the arc with Asuka, and episode 9; her song at the end and the episode being named Sound! Euphonium. It was after that episode I finally realized that in the OP, Kumiko is sitting next to Asuka in that scene and not Reina.

They were throwing out lots of feels in the second half like with Kumiko's monologue to Asuka at the school which edged her back in the club.

The final concert was definitely disappointing, but I think all of the other elements surrounding it definitely balanced it out. Two seasons just for them to get bronze was shitty. But all in that episode, we had Kumiko letting her sister know her true feelings, Asuka getting recognition from her father (which I wish would've been expanded on a bit more), and Reina's confessions to Taki-sensei.

The ending was definitely sad and bittersweet. They always manage to make school graduations feelsy as fuck in anime. The final meeting between Kumiko and graduating Asuka was pretty emotional as well. Kumiko's speech was just impactful; telling Asuka that she initially kind of hated her for always acting special, but then admitting she now loves her (as a friend obviously). The passing on of the notebook is where it really came full circle though. Kumiko saying she wants to play like her, the passing on of the book, and then finding out the name of the song and now the title of the show completely makes sense. I got a little choked up there for sure.

Kumiko said she didn't want it to be goodbye, and Asuka says fine, see you later then, which definitely leaves it open as to whether or not they will get to socialize again.

My biggest gripe with this season was the absurd amount of rather forced drama, and I was extremely disappointed with Kurosawa Tomoyo's acting as Kumiko. 99.9999999% of the time she was just dull and completely fucking uninteresting to listen to. Like, Stephen Hawking could've put more emotion into that performance. Which made no sense to me because she has the range and the acting chops to do so...her emotional speeches in the show were very good, and her other roles prove she can also do it.
Jan 31, 2017 10:25 PM

Feb 2016
Jonesy974 said:
[. . .]

I think the first half of the show was god awful. The very first episode alone...nothing but forced shitty melodrama the entire time. They just got gold in the competition, and immediately every single character was already all fucking moody and gloomy. Oumae's lines consisted 95% of "oh? eh? mmm... wakanai. eh? mmmm..."

[. . .]

I wasn't too thrilled with the entire first half of the show. They managed to ruin what should be an enjoyable pool episode with even more awful melodrama. The entire first half revolving around Mizore and Nozomi was pretty bad. The entire generic premise of "misunderstanding between friends" but blown up into this absurdly huge deal over multiple episodes. Absolutely ridiculous. All of that because Nozomi never said anything, but Mizore never asked.

[. . .]

The ending was definitely sad and bittersweet. They always manage to make school graduations feelsy as fuck in anime. The final meeting between Kumiko and graduating Asuka was pretty emotional as well. Kumiko's speech was just impactful; telling Asuka that she initially kind of hated her for always acting special, but then admitting she now loves her (as a friend obviously).

[. . .]

My biggest gripe with this season was the absurd amount of rather forced drama, and I was extremely disappointed with Kurosawa Tomoyo's acting as Kumiko. 99.9999999% of the time she was just dull and completely fucking uninteresting to listen to. Like, Stephen Hawking could've put more emotion into that performance. Which made no sense to me because she has the range and the acting chops to do so...her emotional speeches in the show were very good, and her other roles prove she can also do it.

I don't really get this.

Shitty melodrama? Have you attended a high school? That is a pretty accurate adjective to describe high school. And I don't think it was shitty. While the Nozomi and Mizore arc was non-essential to the story, it was still a complete arc with a beginning, middle, and end. There was emotional payoff and quite frankly, it wasn't crazy or stupid. These misunderstandings happen all of the time. Hell, I've had a few similar situations with my friends. People aren't great at talking things out.

As far as graduation, I've heard that grad is a huge deal for many Japanese people because it's when their adult life begins and people take their jobs very seriously. It's one of the reasons why anime centered around high school experiences is so popular. For many, this is the best time of their lives and they want to remember it.

Also, I'm not sure why you're so convinced it was a confession of love to a friend. This show has some pretty strong yuri vibes and the ending is ambiguous at best. If I were to make a ruling, I'd say Kumiko is a lesbian, but I don't think there's enough to prove it definitively. Either way, "love" is an ambiguous term and the show teases the ever-loving shit out of yuri to the point of making me think there is more than meets the eye between these characters.

Jan 31, 2017 11:12 PM

Aug 2013
SaucyShamrock said:
Jonesy974 said:

I don't really get this.

Shitty melodrama? Have you attended a high school? That is a pretty accurate adjective to describe high school. And I don't think it was shitty. While the Nozomi and Mizore arc was non-essential to the story, it was still a complete arc with a beginning, middle, and end. There was emotional payoff and quite frankly, it wasn't crazy or stupid. These misunderstandings happen all of the time. Hell, I've had a few similar situations with my friends. People aren't great at talking things out.

As far as graduation, I've heard that grad is a huge deal for many Japanese people because it's when their adult life begins and people take their jobs very seriously. It's one of the reasons why anime centered around high school experiences is so popular. For many, this is the best time of their lives and they want to remember it.

Also, I'm not sure why you're so convinced it was a confession of love to a friend. This show has some pretty strong yuri vibes and the ending is ambiguous at best. If I were to make a ruling, I'd say Kumiko is a lesbian, but I don't think there's enough to prove it definitively. Either way, "love" is an ambiguous term and the show teases the ever-loving shit out of yuri to the point of making me think there is more than meets the eye between these characters.

Idk what high school you attended, but in my day shit did not get that overly dramatic unless some guy was sleeping with his girlfriends best friend. Then again, I was in high school almost a decade ago, maybe you teens just got more dramatic and angsty since. The entire first episode (hell the first half of the season) was full of forced shitty melodrama for literally no reason. They just won gold and were moody and depressed...and it wasn't even elaborated upon. If that kind of horrible writing is fine by your standards, then cool beans. (I see you like Your Name, and both seasons of Hibike...so that's a yes).

Not sure why you bothered mentioning the graduation. I didn't even mention anything negative. You might not know this, but I've seen quite a few anime in my days, and I'm decently versed in the Japanese culture. I'm quite aware of how graduation works. I've even been through two of them myself!

"Also, I'm not sure why you're so convinced it was a confession of love to a friend. This show has some pretty strong yuri vibes and the ending is ambiguous at best. If I were to make a ruling, I'd say Kumiko is a lesbian, but I don't think there's enough to prove it definitively. Either way, "love" is an ambiguous term and the show teases the ever-loving shit out of yuri to the point of making me think there is more than meets the eye between these characters"

^
As for your last remark...I don't even know why I'm wasting finger energy responding to it. Obviously you haven't read the novels. If you had, you know your entire statement is actually invalid.
Feb 1, 2017 10:48 AM

Feb 2016
Jonesy974 said:
SaucyShamrock said:

I don't really get this.

Idk what high school you attended, but in my day shit did not get that overly dramatic unless some guy was sleeping with his girlfriends best friend. Then again, I was in high school almost a decade ago, maybe you teens just got more dramatic and angsty since. The entire first episode (hell the first half of the season) was full of forced shitty melodrama for literally no reason. They just won gold and were moody and depressed...and it wasn't even elaborated upon. If that kind of horrible writing is fine by your standards, then cool beans. (I see you like Your Name, and both seasons of Hibike...so that's a yes).

Not sure why you bothered mentioning the graduation. I didn't even mention anything negative. You might not know this, but I've seen quite a few anime in my days, and I'm decently versed in the Japanese culture. I'm quite aware of how graduation works. I've even been through two of them myself!

"Also, I'm not sure why you're so convinced it was a confession of love to a friend. This show has some pretty strong yuri vibes and the ending is ambiguous at best. If I were to make a ruling, I'd say Kumiko is a lesbian, but I don't think there's enough to prove it definitively. Either way, "love" is an ambiguous term and the show teases the ever-loving shit out of yuri to the point of making me think there is more than meets the eye between these characters"

^
As for your last remark...I don't even know why I'm wasting finger energy responding to it. Obviously you haven't read the novels. If you had, you know your entire statement is actually invalid.

Judging by that response, I'd say you're too familiar with teen angst. Though I'm not sure what Hibike and Kimi no na Wa have to do with shitty writing. You're either not attentive, have obnoxious standards, or just don't know what you're talking about. You can claim anything is garbage writing, except if you want to be taken seriously, you should provide actual reasons. As far as I'm concerned, "forced drama" is not a thoughtful reason. Apart from that, you haven't given any valid justification for your opinions. That's also on top of the salt mine that was half of your reaction to the show. Oh you didn't want to keep watching, well shit, it's too bad someone has a gun to your head. Obviously there's zero bias there.

And no I haven't read the source, although I know the differences between it and the adaptation. Though I seem to notice that this is a thread in the anime discussion section, so I'm not sure how the source affects the merits of the story in the anime as a stand-alone series. Obviously my entire statement is invalid because what happened in the novel is different from the anime. You know, because that's definitely solid logic. (Note the heart-piercing sarcasm as I proceed to tear my hair out)

But thanks for trying to insult my intelligence and tastes, I'm sure that reflected well on you.

Feb 1, 2017 6:43 PM

Aug 2013
SaucyShamrock said:
Jonesy974 said:

^

Judging by that response, I'd say you're too familiar with teen angst. Though I'm not sure what Hibike and Kimi no na Wa have to do with shitty writing. You're either not attentive, have obnoxious standards, or just don't know what you're talking about. You can claim anything is garbage writing, except if you want to be taken seriously, you should provide actual reasons. As far as I'm concerned, "forced drama" is not a thoughtful reason. Apart from that, you haven't given any valid justification for your opinions. That's also on top of the salt mine that was half of your reaction to the show. Oh you didn't want to keep watching, well shit, it's too bad someone has a gun to your head. Obviously there's zero bias there.

And no I haven't read the source, although I know the differences between it and the adaptation. Though I seem to notice that this is a thread in the anime discussion section, so I'm not sure how the source affects the merits of the story in the anime as a stand-alone series. Obviously my entire statement is invalid because what happened in the novel is different from the anime. You know, because that's definitely solid logic. (Note the heart-piercing sarcasm as I proceed to tear my hair out)

But thanks for trying to insult my intelligence and tastes, I'm sure that reflected well on you.

I think my favorite part of this response, is that after I made you look dumb twice, you went through the extra trouble of trying to make your reply look over the top mature this time. Why? I don't know. It's not like you're fooling anyone, the other comments didn't just magically disappear.

Funny, since in my original comment, I elaborated on exactly why the drama was forced in the first half, and what made it shitty. You just dismiss it because you disagree and probably think that any writing that makes you go "hit me in muh feels", is 10/10 AOTS. On the other hand, you provided no reason as to why you think the writing is so stellar. You just jumped straight to dismissive and defensive straw man arguments.

Really, you know the differences between the novel and the anime? Because it sure as hell doesn't seem like it. Albeit the show wasn't a perfect 1:1 adaptation, because KyoAni liked to bait people into buying BDs with the false premise of yuri. The toning down of Reina's obsession with Taki, and the fewer amount of scenes between Kumiko and Shuichi didn't take anything away from the general direction each romance was going. Had the anime been able to adapt all the way to where the novels were, this would be questioned even less because Kumiko and Shuichi would've already been a done deal. There was no point in changing any order of events when they removed the hairpin wearing scene anyway. The "stand-alone" argument only works when the anime is actually stand-alone.

And you're welcome. You made insulting you a little too easy, but hey, I just work with what I'm given.
Feb 1, 2017 8:13 PM

Feb 2016
Jonesy974 said:
[. . .]

I think my favorite part of this response, is that after I made you look dumb twice, you went through the extra trouble of trying to make your reply look over the top mature this time. Why? I don't know. It's not like you're fooling anyone, the other comments didn't just magically disappear.

Funny, since in my original comment, I elaborated on exactly why the drama was forced in the first half, and what made it shitty. You just dismiss it because you disagree and probably think that any writing that makes you go "hit me in muh feels", is 10/10 AOTS. On the other hand, you provided no reason as to why you think the writing is so stellar. You just jumped straight to dismissive and defensive straw man arguments.

Really, you know the differences between the novel and the anime? Because it sure as hell doesn't seem like it. Albeit the show wasn't a perfect 1:1 adaptation, because KyoAni liked to bait people into buying BDs with the false premise of yuri. The toning down of Reina's obsession with Taki, and the fewer amount of scenes between Kumiko and Shuichi didn't take anything away from the general direction each romance was going. Had the anime been able to adapt all the way to where the novels were, this would be questioned even less because Kumiko and Shuichi would've already been a done deal. There was no point in changing any order of events when they removed the hairpin wearing scene anyway. The "stand-alone" argument only works when the anime is actually stand-alone.

And you're welcome. You made insulting you a little too easy, but hey, I just work with what I'm given.

Thank you for proving my point.

Feb 2, 2017 2:41 AM

Oct 2012
I don't want it to end :(
I still want more
The musics
The characters
I like them a lot

Time to rewatch? xD
"Signature removed"
Feb 2, 2017 11:31 AM

May 2012
Jonesy974 said:
The "stand-alone" argument only works when the anime is actually stand-alone.

Um... No? Nobody except people who graduated 10 years ago who sits around watching anime with a gun to their head give 2 shits about the "novels" the show is what it is. This is a thread about the anime if you want to talk about the novels go talk about them on that board. They are irrelevant here.
Feb 3, 2017 10:50 PM

Aug 2013
Reikuo said:
Jonesy974 said:
The "stand-alone" argument only works when the anime is actually stand-alone.

Um... No? Nobody except people who graduated 10 years ago who sits around watching anime with a gun to their head give 2 shits about the "novels" the show is what it is. This is a thread about the anime if you want to talk about the novels go talk about them on that board. They are irrelevant here.

HAHAHA! Holy hell. Can your brain even fathom the amount of stupidity in your own comment, or did that actually sound good when you felt like a kewl dood typing that?

Nobody gives 2 shits about the novels? Sure, that's why in every single episode discussion thread for both seasons, the majority of the comments are from people comparing the novel material to the episode, or people who haven't read the novel inquiring about how accurate the show has been/asking for spoilers.

We can even take this one step further. Every anime that was ever adapted from a novel/manga in the history of ever, had its hype generated from the community of people who read the source material. And it applies to literally. every. adaptation. Name it: Hibike Euphonium, Sword Art Online, Noragami, KonoSuba, Erased, Hyouka. You name it, and the reason loads of people who never heard of it took an interest in it in the first place, is because people who read the novels were in the announcement threads going on and on about how excited they were. And in every anime adaptation ever, the majority of episode thread comments revolve around how good or bad the episode was able to adapt the source material.

This is completely indisputable. The fact that you're trying to argue that should make you feel incredibly stupid.
Feb 4, 2017 9:34 AM

Apr 2014
Oh no, I feel empty now..
Feb 9, 2017 4:52 PM

Dec 2014
Seriously one of the best executed anime as well as visually amazing anime ever. It's calm atmosphere kept me watching and smiling every time something small came along. It was a break from action anime and by the end I even learned that every one you meet could make an impact on your life. Just keep trying hard!

I have small reviews for almost ALL anime I've seen. Unlike any regular MAL page you've seen.

Ever wondering what I've watched and what I think about it? Check my List out below!

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Iam_Jermaine
Feb 18, 2017 9:44 AM
Aug 2014
Too much drama not enough music in the second season. The same music was re-used to often and they didn't even show their nationals performance nor any of the other schools. Which I found rather disappointing.
Feb 21, 2017 8:56 AM

Oct 2010
Katsu-kun said:
Oh no, I feel empty now..

:' ) I know what you feel... At first I didin't want to watch the final 2 eps... but now I don't want to end this :(
At times this second season, was a little boring, but with highs and emotional episodes of course :') specially the ones with music, like of course... this one:

For people like us, at least we can hear these gifts:
Feb 21, 2017 9:21 AM

Apr 2014
Thank you @puchacamilo, you cheered me up, all I needed is Hibike OST! :'-)
Feb 22, 2017 12:09 PM

Jun 2007
This season is more weak than the previous one but still great. i'm such a lucky bastard to enjoy all three ships - Kumiko with Reina, Shuichi and Asuka. with Asuka is my favourite one i guess because it's so intense whew
see you, space cowperson . . .
Feb 22, 2017 6:12 PM

Oct 2010
I still can't move on with this end... Is this really the end? There is nothing more they could do?? :'(
How it ends, to me is like the whole series is about Asuka senpai... x'D how is this possible?, I demand an ending for the other girls x'D
Mar 19, 2017 8:51 AM
Oct 2015
when its all said and done reina got cucked
Mar 28, 2017 10:56 PM
Aug 2014
Well ****, sucks to know that is probably the end of the show. A reminder that things don't always go your way and you're not shown the end of all journeys.
Apr 21, 2017 12:24 PM

May 2010
Ah finally Sapphire and Hazuki got demoted to side-characters. Tyvm was waiting forever for that. Their role was too small in this season (not that it was very big in the 1st season either)
Apr 23, 2017 7:48 AM
Feb 2017
Even this "recap" episode is better than many other anime.

10/10
Apr 23, 2017 7:18 PM

Jan 2012
I don't want to say goodbye to this series!

cya until S3!
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Apr 25, 2017 10:27 PM

Jun 2013
Well, I've seen more satisfying conclusions. I still don't know if this is supposed to be a series finale, or if there will be more adaptations.

Really, the only things that stood out to me were the heartfelt goodbyes, especially how much Kumiko was missing Asuka.

Reina's arc concluded exactly the way I didn't want it: half-assed. She didn't get to try confessing again.

In the end, I went into the series expecting some of the "most human characters" (as the Pedantic Romantic put it), and I was mostly satisfied with what I got. I might watch sequels if they come out.

Kumiko was definitely an interesting character to follow, and I'll certainly remember her journey. Even some of the individual band members became important to me, if only for the duration of the show.
May 26, 2017 9:02 AM
Oct 2012
Was very enjoyable, nicely directed, rather great soundtrack, superb animation.. though it would have been better if this was longer and more detailed into each characters.

It has been quite some time for me to enjoy some highschool/slice of life setting as much as this, ever since tari-tari. Solid 8 ~ 9 /10 from me
May 28, 2017 6:50 AM

Apr 2015
Me finishing Eupho so late is a such a disgrace

Still really professionally done, imperious acting, art, mise-en-scene. All the biggest strengths of S1 all on board
Not quite as good as S1 though
Felt unfocused at times, the girls seemed petty at some points- thus the drama was a bit disappointing, the main arc was not to my taste(I still dislike Asuka)
Thus didn't really have the pull S1 had. 7/10

...and also cos I'm a NL fag. Fucking hell...
Jun 18, 2017 12:46 PM

Jun 2014
I hated how dumb and melodramatic this season was, how anticlimactic everything ended up being. I enjoyed season 1, but I really hated season 2 from around after episode 6 and how it focused on these literally who characters instead of focusing on our main cast from season 1. Dumb melodrama, dumb writing, but it's to be expected from a light novel.

3/10 since the animation was still nice and I didn't hate the entire show.
:3
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

117 by Jam15 »»
Apr 13, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

113 by Jam15 »»
Apr 10, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2016

217 by ShinigamiGang »»
Apr 1, 7:42 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

shanimebib - Dec 21, 2016

228 by teraphIl1000 »»
Mar 25, 11:09 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2016

132 by teraphIl1000 »»
Mar 25, 10:44 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.