Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 16, 2015 5:54 PM
Mar 2012
Bit more comedy hits than misses. Some good moments like Okarin, cooking, snack "discussions", random Komaru & hamsters action, all Sylphi times, etc. But this show's been a balance between enjoying comedy vs a strong urge to punch that lazy liar with severe princess syndrome (eg princess sickness in Asian countries). And Taihei the pushover was both pathetic & quite funny, though he's such a great bro & future-husband/cook/nanny.
Sylphi, Ebina & Bomber were really fun.
Oct 18, 2015 6:02 AM

Oct 2013
I love this show, my heart gets warm everytime i see the relationship between brother and sister just like Taihei and Umaru, really soothing feelings. This show deserves a second season.

Overall score 7/10
Oct 30, 2015 9:32 PM
Apr 2013
Oh man. Sad that this was the last episode, Umaru is an amazing series.
Heartwarming, funny, and plenty of life lessons. d;^)
Hope we get to see a season 2.

A good amount of character development throughout the story, Ebina loves Taihei, Kirie starts to open up, and Umaru stays the same for the most but starts to make more friends.

Perfect way to wrap up the series with a slightly sentimental and fun beach scene with everything being explained.

11/10 - Great series.
Oct 31, 2015 12:32 AM

Sep 2015
gophercg said:
But this show's been a balance between enjoying comedy vs a strong urge to punch that lazy liar with severe princess syndrome (eg princess sickness in Asian countries).
[Redacted]

Warning – Rambling post ahead :D

But she has many redeeming features, not least the gentle understanding she shows towards the three friends she has drawn towards her. Kirie, Sylphie and Ebina are all complete oddballs (albeit adorable ones), they are girls who could easily be completely displaced as social misfits but now have a more solid place in the world, thanks to Umaru.

If we forget for the moment about her taking the piss out of Taihei, which is pretty much par for the course among all siblings, we could perhaps make the argument that her lying/acting is almost for the benefit of the others:

Her classmates have come to like her as the perfect girl / class mascot even – She may worry they would be disappointed if they found out this was a charade.

Kirie has become great friends with 'Kumaru', in a way she wouldn't have been able to be with Umaru herself. This has allowed Kirie to grow in confidence, as can be seen in the later episodes. Massive kudos to the writer for this – Lesser wrtiters would simply go for the same gags with a character like this rather than allow them to 'grow' – Umaru would be well aware that her coming clean here could upset the balance, and set back the progress that Kirie has made.

Sylphynford is just a complete headcase, utterly adorable of course, Umaru is probably the only person in the world that could ever understand her, just look at how, in the OVA, Umaru, as UMR-san, went out her way to get to the Arcade in time for Sylphie to meet her, knowing if she didn't Sylphie would be wandering around looking for her. – That is the kind of friendship and understanding we would all be lucky to find in our lives. Here too Umaru would be well aware how horrified Sylphie might be if she found out that her best friend UMR-san was actually her arch enemy in her competitive striving to be class number 1.

Ebina, another complete headcase is maybe the one that could cope the easiest without Umaru, but even so, we can see that she may have had some trouble as a newcomer to the city if she had not quickly made friends with her.

I think Umaru shows great self awareness in all these things, and as a whole, this, I think, is one of those magical manga/anime creations where the characters are very 'alive' seeming.

One other wonderful thing the writer has done is show the characters as a unified gang in the sometimes-chibi Himouto! Umaru-chan'S, I hope this is a hint at what could be the case in the real 'umaru universe' somewhere down the road, when they have all grown enough to be themselves with each other.

AsphyxiateMe said:

11/10 - Great series.

11/10 You turned it up all the way to 11! I concur :D
doki-dokiOct 31, 2015 12:45 AM
Nov 1, 2015 4:51 PM

Aug 2011
Before I started this show, I didn't expect much except a shallow portrayal of a lazy life but in the end, it gave me a lot more than I thought it would.

As the episodes gone by I gradually warmed up to each character and it does a great job at balancing them against each other. There isn't any particular person I dislike in this show but rather it's the opposite.

I was very surprised at the developments between Umaru and Taihei which gave me a heartwarming feeling at times as they regularly argued and then made up in their own ways. Seeing how each character connected to one another and pulling them together for the final ep was well done. Not to mention that this show has a very cute design which brings out the moe in each girl.

An unexpectedly charming experience, 7/10.
Nov 4, 2015 9:24 AM

Apr 2014
I hate misunderstandings.
Nov 6, 2015 6:45 PM

Jan 2015
It's an elephant. It's so big.
Yep.
It's a whale. It's so big.
Yep.
It's a dinosaur. It's so big.
Y-Y-Yep...
It's a titan... It's so big.
It's going to eat us! Run!

This episode confirmed Bomber is the best character.

Lazy Umaru is lazy.

Good season finale, let's hope we get another season in the future!
Nov 7, 2015 10:47 AM

Sep 2013
Great finaly... I hope for season 2 :)
Nov 14, 2015 5:09 AM

Aug 2009
sucks that not much komaru appearances for the finale

decent but lacking plot i guess... so close to revealing her identity too

got my daily dose of ebina which is always welcome

sucks that kanau doesnt get a part... wanted moar of her too

time to wait a loooooooooooooong time for ova
Nov 15, 2015 1:35 PM

Sep 2015
sirhcnil said:

time to wait a loooooooooooooong time for ova

OVA was released with the vol7 collection of the manga on 19th Oct

Fansubbers had the English version out within a day or two of its release. Pretty easy to find, but if your having difficulty just google "Himouto! Umaru-chan OVA English"

Nov 20, 2015 1:28 AM

Jan 2014
Everyone going on about Umaru being such a bad sister, but actually Kirie is the worst XD

Also, best moment this episode: Ebina ringing that "love bell" like no tomorrow, followed by bromance Bomber.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Dec 9, 2015 7:35 AM

Aug 2013
For human, have two face personality. its so strange. enjoy for story, sick for character.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 10, 2015 11:37 AM

Sep 2014
This anime was both cute and funny! I really liked it.
Solid 8/10. Deserves 2nd season.
Dec 14, 2015 10:57 AM

Jun 2009
This show wasn't particularly funny but okay enough. Yuri subtext was the best part about it. 6/10
Jan 3, 2016 3:37 PM
Feb 2015
Kirie-chan is always so cute :3

Even when she is beating the shit out of Bomber
Jan 16, 2016 4:23 PM
Jul 2018
BryanLoeher said:
Not enough Kirie in this anime. 8/10

Intereo said:

That's why I love Kirie.

Not best girl, but still cute.
Ebina-chan is best girl. Such waifu material. Umaru is close second.

I'm gonna miss this series.

PhinalPhlash said:
OrangeJP said:
Season 2 please :3
Feb 3, 2016 7:05 PM

Apr 2012
bye bye good anime
Feb 6, 2016 4:07 PM

Jan 2011
Glorious Kirie, definitely best girl.
Will miss this show. :v

7/10
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Feb 23, 2016 4:29 PM

Feb 2012
Oh man, my happy-feels anime is over :(

Time to go watch something that'll emotionally destroy me, like Death Parade, so that I'll come crawling back to watch another Himouto-like anime.
"The speck of fear grows in your eyes
You'll meet your death in no disguise
It may come as a small surprise
There will be no compromise for you"

- Nikopol Lyrics, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Feb 28, 2016 6:16 AM

Apr 2014
i vote for a s2 too.
Mar 9, 2016 6:34 AM

Oct 2009
Stupid Bonba!
Sad to see this end, it was a really fun watch :)

Heres hoping for 2nd season!

7/10
Mar 22, 2016 8:11 PM

Mar 2015
What a let down episode. Episode 10 should be at episode 12 spot.

Average slice of life for this episode.

ED Animation: 2.75/5

Episode: 3.1/5

Overall: 8/10
Mar 27, 2016 2:02 PM

Jun 2015
No comment on how that car girl used the wrong flag? That's the flag you use when the race is over, not when it's starting.
Apr 3, 2016 9:33 AM
Apr 2016
WHY DID IT END NOOOOOOO!!!
Apr 6, 2016 5:47 PM

Jun 2008
Absolutely loved it...so cute and a very relaxing SoL...

8/10
Apr 8, 2016 3:23 AM
Apr 2016
Umaru-chan = War?
Jun 6, 2016 12:26 PM

Jan 2016
Quite nice ending/last episode. Wasnt much but still perfect for this anime, so Himouto!Umaru-chan.. Very saticfing anime. Had alot of humor and lazyness.lol but still quite adorable.The animation was fine nothing much but rather good
Wasnt much of a story but as we follow the life of umaru n her brother and her life of being lazy. 👍 simple,pleasing, and enjoyable for a lazyday before graduation 🎓
character in my opinion was nice, all of em. Really liked all of ther personalities.
Diffidently a worth watching anime.
Give it a 7,4/10(7/10)
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
Jul 3, 2016 7:31 PM

Jul 2016
After seeing this series end, I was left emotionally crippled. T^T
Nov 8, 2016 7:31 AM

May 2016
This was a really good anime I love it I give the whole anime 8/10 it was really fun but. It lacked character development and I wished that she will at least tell kirie chan her secret but not happening I really loved it it made me laugh every episode that was the best part of it
Dec 25, 2016 2:43 AM

Apr 2009
This last episode is the weakest IMO.

6/10 Overall.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 1, 2017 10:53 PM

Sep 2013
You know, if it weren't for Umaru this would be a genuinely good slice of life show.
May 2, 2017 1:36 PM

Aug 2013
Mitigated Oreimo.
5/10.
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
May 23, 2017 6:33 AM
Dec 2009
Although Umaru didn't really have any big change of heart at the end of the show, I still enjoyed it overall. Umaru's ridiculous reliance on Taihei is over-the-top and honestly a bit cringey at times but it's a comedy. The the characters are all goofy and lovable but they're made into ridiculous stereotypes for comedic effect- can't take it too seriously! I hope we get to see Umaru mature a bit and show her friends the "other" side to her in the upcoming season.
Jul 31, 2017 1:55 PM

Jun 2017
Oh no, why didn't Umaru tell Kirie that she is Kumaru :( That would've been perfect for the ending.

Nevertheless,I really enjoyed this series. Fortunately there is a second season^^

Aug 7, 2017 11:14 AM

Jan 2017
Well, the show was ok. it had its funny moments
Karasuno Fight!!!
Aug 28, 2017 7:40 PM

Sep 2010
It was fairly nice and enjoyable at best
Sep 5, 2017 12:47 AM

Jan 2010
The show managed to stay fun, comedic, and bright throughout. That's all I could have asked for.
Sep 6, 2017 10:19 PM

Jan 2013
This ep was so dumb... I know, I know it's just a TV comedy but still.
Seriously, Kirie can't recognize Umaru/Komaru, Umaru can't tell herself who she really is and Bomber can't recognize his own sister nice.
-----------
At least Taihei, Bomber and Ebina are good characters. 6/10 Umaru is annoying but shh

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Sep 6, 2017 10:21 PM

Jan 2013
ezaya said:
This last episode is the weakest IMO.

^this this his yas you're right

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Sep 14, 2017 12:06 PM

Aug 2013
9/10 brilliant comedy and great finale.

Btw Enoshima trip huh? There is an event in New Love Plus+ (3DS game by Konami) with trip to Enoshima. It felt like I were there already hah.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Sep 29, 2017 7:06 AM
Jul 2018
Ah. Not much fond of this final episode. It's the weakest episode of the entire first season, and weak as a finale. I'm glad a sequel has been decided 'cause I wouldn't have been satisfied with this kind of clousure. Hope for something different, better variety of events next season.

What I mostly enjoyed out of everything was Taihei and Umaru relationship as brother and sister. 7/10.
Sep 30, 2017 1:21 PM

Aug 2013
Bomber is a real idiot for not realising his sister was there XD

This was fun and I'm looking forward to season 2.

Oct 31, 2017 1:57 PM

Dec 2016
It was good but i'll probably not watch the season 2
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Nov 13, 2017 11:58 AM

May 2013
The concept is pretty unique, I loved the sibling bond in this anime- us little sisters ARE brats and annoying shitheads LMFAO but we also care a lot about our protective big brother ^-^ and we don't often show it but appreciate it lowkey like how Umaru says regular stir fried is fine when she finally realizes the effort Taihei puts into her green peppers TT^TT and when we're actually nice and considerate, we're asked if we ate something bad or have a fever LOLOLOLLLLLL. So accurate hahaha

I also LOVE LOVE LOVEEEEEE Bomber. He's HILARIOUS.
And the other side characters are likable too. Kirie and Ebina are kawaii. I usually don't like self-absorbed loud girls, but I didn't find Sylphyn annoying in a bad, hate-able way lol. She's more of a ridiculous funny obnoxious type :P

Honestly, ppl who rates this low are the ones that dislike the characters. If you're not a fan-- of Umaru in particular, then you won't like this anime. I personally enjoyed it :} it was funny. and I feel like those who actually have siblings will be able to relate more to the characters and understand why they act the way they do. Ex: I saw some complaints with "the way Umaru treats Taihei." Yes, I can see why others would be mad about it, but being a little sister myself, I can vouch that I do the same lololol. My big brother is my slave too LOL. The only difference is that sometimes I fetch little things for him too when he asks me to, although he does it more. He's actually out getting me food rn while I'm typing this HAHHAHAH!!!! XDDD and I get him to buy me stuff I want sometimes but I don't throw massive tantrums like Umaru does if I don't get what I want :3 I ain't a baby lol. All I do is pout for awhile, but get me food and it'll be okay again lmfao

8/10
Nov 13, 2017 12:10 PM

Mar 2017
Kokoro_Inuzuka said:
The concept is pretty unique, I loved the sibling bond in this anime- us little sisters ARE brats and annoying shitheads LMFAO but we also care a lot about our protective big brother ^-^ and we don't often show it but appreciate it lowkey like how Umaru says regular stir fried is fine when she finally realizes the effort Taihei puts into her green peppers TT^TT and when we're actually nice and considerate, we're asked if we ate something bad or have a fever LOLOLOLLLLLL. So accurate hahaha

And the other side characters are likable too. Kirie and Ebina are kawaii. I usually don't like self-absorbed loud girls, but I didn't find Sylphyn annoying in a bad, hate-able way lol. She's more of a ridiculous funny obnoxious type :P

Honestly, ppl who rates this low are the ones that dislike the characters. If you're not a fan-- of Umaru in particular, then you won't like this anime. I personally enjoyed it :} it was funny. and I feel like those who actually have siblings will be able to relate more to the characters and understand why they act the way they do. Ex: I saw some complaints with "the way Umaru treats Taihei." Yes, I can see why others would be mad about it, but being a little sister myself, I can vouch that I do the same lololol. My big brother is my slave too LOL. The only difference is that sometimes I fetch little things for him too when he asks me to, although he does it more. He's actually out getting me food rn while I'm typing this HAHHAHAH!!!! XDDD and I get him to buy me stuff I want sometimes but I don't throw massive tantrums like Umaru does if I don't get what I want :3 I ain't a baby lol. All I do is pout for awhile, but get me food and it'll be okay again lmfao

8/10

And what will happen if your brother read your post? :D
Nov 13, 2017 4:15 PM

May 2013
danangafnan said:
Kokoro_Inuzuka said:

8/10

And what will happen if your brother read your post? :D

Good thing he doesn't have MAL ;D ;D
Dec 21, 2017 11:40 PM

Sep 2013
This show really redeemed itself during the last few episodes. They managed to tone down Umaru's obnoxiousness. I was originally going to give this anime a 3/10 score. But, I think it may be salvageable after all.

5/10

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Feb 3, 2018 11:47 PM

Apr 2014
Overall, the show was quite enjoyable. It didn't have the level of comedy that I had expected coming into it, and frankly after the first couple episodes I wasn't certain how I'd receive the remainder of the show if I had to watch Umaru act like a little entitled shitbag the entire way through. But fortunately, the author toned down her behavior and began to introduce and grant decent amounts of spotlight to the other characters.

This show shines at its best not in comedy, but in its portrayal of sibling relationships and the multifaceted layers that are present in human relationships. It was heartwarming to see the care and sibling bond that Taihei and Umaru had with one another, and how such tender displays were carefully layered and balanced with Umaru's outward behavior or in the midst of a ridiculous occurrence. She's aware and reflects on her actions, and there is a subtle growth that we observe in her throughout the episodes. She also presents a different side of herself to each of her three friends, without seeming like completely different people (from the watcher's perspective at least). UMR, "Perfect" Umaru, and Komaru are all hypercompetitive, love junk food, somewhat caring, greedy/gluttonous, and selfish/manipulative, but those traits manifest in different ways and levels such that she isn't lying about her true self in their presence, but rather is tailoring herself (by dialing down or scaling up certain traits) to the comfort zone and personality of her friends and allowing them to be able to form a bond with her. She is deceptive when her school and home behaviors are compared, however there is a subtle connection between the different sides that her friends see on a personal level such that she still remains true to herself despite such traits being displayed through different actions.

Poor Taihei. Such a hardworking and caring older brother who has to watch over a handful of a younger sister. He makes for a good contrast to Umaru, although at times it felt as though he was being abused and much too subservient. Umaru has does have a conscience, so he should tap into that and instill some discipline. He was boring at first, but became amusing as the counterbalance and the reaction to Umaru's actions, and the guardian.

The supporting cast didn't really have too much development, but they were entertaining to have around and to see how they'd behave around different people.

The OP will be staying in my head for a while. The ED is alright.

Season two will be on my list.

First Half: 6/10
Second Half: 7/10

Overall Score: 7/10

ZeroDragonFeb 4, 2018 12:09 AM
Apr 30, 2018 11:59 PM

Aug 2014
Man it was bland comedy and Slice of life..
May 24, 2018 6:15 PM

Jul 2013
I like this anime. I really do. It's fun and heartwarming, the characters are very likeable, I get almost every reference for example : Kirie's strawhat and despite this being a SoL, I was never not bored and I consider myself not a big fan of SoLs. Although I'm a little bit disappointed that Umaru didn't reveal her secret cause I really want her friends to know and see their reactions. Also Taihei's very rich family has been mentioned again but they really didn't get into too much about that and that mystery adult Umaru I still don't know who the hell she is. I really hope for a sequel and it's almost mid2018 now this aired 3 years ago.

Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Himouto! Umaru-chan Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2015

215 by Zekkenshin »»
Jan 17, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Himouto! Umaru-chan Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2015

103 by FranqitoH »»
Dec 15, 2023 11:28 AM

Poll: » Himouto! Umaru-chan Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2015

95 by WELLERM »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:54 AM

Poll: » Himouto! Umaru-chan Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2015

112 by WELLERM »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:54 AM

Poll: » Himouto! Umaru-chan Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2015

110 by WELLERM »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.