Forum Settings
Forums

Do anime fans HATE strong female characters?

New
Dec 14, 2016 3:49 PM

Feb 2015
So I read this really retarded Youtube comment recently:
I get that this is pretty extreme and doesn't represent the entire anime community, but it really got me thinking. Sometimes I just get the feeling that anime fans dislike strong fictional females. If you look at battle shounen series with female protagonists (fan service shows excluded, so half naked women don't count), there aren't really a whole lot: Claymore, Soul Eater, JoJo Part 6 Stone Ocean and that's pretty much it. Maybe you know a few others, but you can't deny that the amount of anime/manga with action girls is pretty low. When it comes to all-female casts, then you really only got Claymore and nothing else. Is there really no demand for series like this?

I do realize that shounen are targeted at boys. However manga like Hxh or One Piece have in reality a relatively broad audience of all genders and ages (especially in Japan). It's not like these kinds of manga wouldn't sell well, because some 8 year old boys would be like "ewww girls". Also most moe manga like K-On are also targeted at guys (either shounen or seinen). So the demographic is hardly a good argument and shouldn't hold back creators from writing more tough female characters, right?

Of course there are some great series with a male MC, that also happen to have good female support characters (for example NGE or Gintama). But female protagonists in these kind of series are still super rare, which pisses me off to no end, especially since only very few people seem to care about this issue. Do you think I'm exaggerating or can you relate to my displeasure?
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 14, 2016 4:02 PM

Sep 2016
Those are the ppl that in real life say "Women are just for the kitchen".
Get ur shit together guys as if it's something strange to have strong females, I personally think it doesn't matter at all what gender the main character is, actually I find it kinda sad that there aren't more animes representing strong female mc's like Claymore and such, well maybe there are but I just need to dig deeper and find them.
And I've got no idea why would someone hate on that, it's simply the same..
Dec 14, 2016 4:08 PM

Jul 2015
no, i dont hate them
but i prefer cute ones over strong ones :3
Dec 14, 2016 4:10 PM

Sep 2016
i love cross ange it's the best anime in the history
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 14, 2016 4:11 PM

Feb 2015
tragedydesu said:
no, i dont hate them

This says it all. For me, strong character can only be strong, and there's no room for feminine side to kick-in. If I'm in a mood, I'd watch something with that kind of stuff, but in general, I'd bet on the ones I do know I am comfortable of, which is kawaii imouto.
Dec 14, 2016 4:13 PM
Jul 2018
So the demographic is hardly a good argument and shouldn't hold back creators from writing more tough female characters, right?

Considering that when you make a product, you need to pick a demographic for whom you're making that product, demographic is kinda of a big deal. It's the mold that gives shape to your product.

I think you are giving way too much attention to that random comment and you're a bit wrong. Anime is probably the medium with most tough female characters. You're just looking at the wrong genre.

Shounen is for young male demographic, and generally speaking, those boys want to pretend they're the MC. It's only logical that shounen with female protagonists will be more rare.

You need to look elsewhere. Seinen's might work better for you, like Kara no Kyoukai, Ghost in the Shell, Ergo Proxy, etc.
Dec 14, 2016 4:16 PM

Mar 2016
tragedydesu said:
no, i dont hate them

is there a reason why we can't...have both
Dec 14, 2016 4:19 PM

May 2009
Honestly I wonder if working out from those batle shounen stuff and generally seinen stuff might be one possibility. Sure, you've got some shows that have obnoxious amounts of fanservice, but on the other hand you get stuff like the Nanoha series, some of whose characters I can actually see as role models for children, even.

But yeah, I'm open to a good series with an awesome character who happens to be female.

I mean, I think one reason I watch school battle harem stuff is because, as much as the romance and fanservice parts aren't what I'm looking for, at least I get to imagine what if the male lead weren't there and you just had the (generally more interesting) female characters driving the action.

Not ideal, but hey, still interesting. More interesting than just watching a thing for which I have no personal creative investment at least!

Edit: Yeah, Cross Ange is a curious instance. Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to watching more of it yet.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 14, 2016 4:22 PM

Oct 2014
Strong female characters are great. Most of my favourite anime have a strong female lead. Weak females aren't as interesting and in my opinion aren't as attractive either. There's a good reason why characters like Kurisu, Misaka, and Holo are considered better waifus than girls who don't do as much.
Jul 2018
irresolute said:
tragedydesu said:
no, i dont hate them

is there a reason why we can't...have both

We can, Shana from shakugan no Shana is in my opinion a perfect example.

Also a non anime example I am reading a yuri manga that has the same.

OT: That comment was retarded I am not even sure what the guy even meant.

Jan 2016
_Ako_ said:
tragedydesu said:
no, i dont hate them

This says it all. For me, strong character can only be strong, and there's no room for feminine side to kick-in. If I'm in a mood, I'd watch something with that kind of stuff, but in general, I'd bet on the ones I do know I am comfortable of, which is kawaii imouto.

Fujiko is a strong woman and i don't think she lacks on the feminine side :D

Dec 14, 2016 4:25 PM

Feb 2015
Darek said:

Because all you have to do it ignore the rest except for the thread title. xD

Johnnyd3rp said:
_Ako_ said:

Fujiko is a strong woman and i don't think she lacks on the feminine side :D

Now that you have said it, some exceptions are indeed there. Yuuko is also there, she is smart and knowledgeable about the stuff that revolves in the yokai world, how to counter them and stuff like that.
But hey, her oppai is 11/10...xD

EDIT: But who doesn't like Yuuko though? xD
Dec 14, 2016 4:28 PM
Jul 2018
_Ako_ said:
Darek said:

Because all you have to do it ignore the rest except for the thread title. xD

I know Ako that you are drunk 90% of the time but the hell are you talking about?

Jan 2013
Nope, they're pretty amazing if done right.
However, if it's just a girl dressed like a hooker, fighting for the sake of her tits jiggling around and so she can be put in sexually provocative poses, then yea they fucking suck.

May 2009
I'll just take 110% angry Ange instead. No need to care for femininity.
Dec 14, 2016 4:35 PM

Feb 2016
I dislike them if they are displayed and treated by the creators as a sex icon and not a badass fighter.
Dec 14, 2016 4:39 PM

Jan 2015
JonasTheJay said:
I get that this is pretty extreme and doesn't represent the entire anime community, but it really got me thinking. Sometimes I just get the feeling that anime fans dislike strong fictional females. If you look at battle shounen series with female protagonists (fan service shows excluded, so half naked women don't count), there aren't really a whole lot: Claymore, Soul Eater, JoJo Part 6 Stone Ocean and that's pretty much it. Maybe you know a few others, but you can't deny that the amount of anime/manga with action girls is pretty low. When it comes to all-female casts, then you really only got Claymore and nothing else. Is there really no demand for series like this?

I do realize that shounen are targeted at boys. However manga like Hxh or One Piece have in reality a relatively broad audience of all genders and ages (especially in Japan). It's not like these kinds of manga wouldn't sell well, because some 8 year old boys would be like "ewww girls". Also most moe manga like K-On are also targeted at guys (either shounen or seinen). So the demographic is hardly a good argument and shouldn't hold back creators from writing more tough female characters, right?

Of course there are some great series with a male MC, that also happen to have good female support characters (for example NGE or Gintama). But female protagonists in these kind of series are still super rare, which pisses me off to no end, especially since only very few people seem to care about this issue. Do you think I'm exaggerating or can you relate to my displeasure?

I don't think female MC's is less important than males, there is just more anime with male MC's/Heroes because that's just the standard way for a story lol :3

Still there is strong Female MC's that does make the anime enjoyable :3

Saber from Fate/Zero, Akame from Akame ga Kill, Madoka (actually there is only girls so meh), Sakura (I dislike her character but she is after all also strong) and let's not forget Erza from Fairy Tail ;3

If the story is good it doesn't matter what gender the MC is, as long as their are unique with character development :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Dec 14, 2016 4:39 PM

Oct 2014
Watch some magical girl anime and anime like Girls und Panzer, Railgun, and Serial Experiments Lain to see some great strong female characters.
Dec 14, 2016 4:43 PM

Jan 2013
I sure don't.
Something about them being older with a side of "ara ara" just gets me going.
CabronDec 14, 2016 4:55 PM
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Dec 14, 2016 4:43 PM

Nov 2015
i, personally, would gladly be fisted by every single strong female character until my asshole explodes, permanently rendering me into a coma
bucketofwormsDec 14, 2016 4:47 PM
thanks @grimace for the jon stamp i love you
Dec 14, 2016 4:48 PM

Jun 2016
I only like them if they're done well, such as Erza from Fairy Tail. I only like the ones that are tough too lol
Though I really dislike the ones that are supposed to be cute and OP like when they flash their tsundere boobs around while fighting its not really interesting to me. I do like badass op male characters tho
Dec 14, 2016 4:50 PM

May 2009
zombie_pegasus said:
Watch some magical girl anime and anime like Girls und Panzer, Railgun, and Serial Experiments Lain to see some great strong female characters.

Also the Nanoha series. I love that series.
Dec 14, 2016 4:56 PM
Jan 2013
About the title: No

About the comment: Taking up the fact that the dude is literally called "Monkey D. Luffy", is using One Piece as his single example and saying that other creators should follow it's example, I'd say he's a """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""anime fan""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" and that he """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""totally knows what he's talking about""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Let's just put those things aside and just appreciate series that are good regardless of what characters are what doing whatsoever
let us yeah
That'd be cool yeah
gone bai bai
Dec 14, 2016 4:57 PM

Jun 2016
yes! mostly.
I'm having trouble watching medaka box,
because medaka always got beaten shit until she got hospitalized, it's frustrating :D lol. but shes strong. also freezing.

but kara no kyoukai and Black lagoon is another story. they are badass.

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Dec 14, 2016 5:00 PM

Oct 2015
The best bit to me is "this isn't sexist, I just write freely whatever crosses my mind, so it can't be sexist" :D

edit - thought to comment on his Monkey D. Ruffy avatar, decided against it, and only now see mkim already covered that. nice. /edit
----------------------

lol, found me a new sig...

I know Ako that you are drunk 90% of the time but the hell are you talking about?
BannoBunka_snorkDec 14, 2016 5:04 PM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Dec 14, 2016 5:15 PM
Jul 2018
Ryuunokebab said:
Those are the ppl that in real life say "Women are just for the kitchen".

This is exactly why I love anime. Anime has female characters that are exaggerations(like any media) of actual female roles. Other media are exaggerations, but I could hardly identify them as any other role but housewives. Even the badass ones like Black Widow. All I see is a flat 2D role akin to being the Avenger's housewife.

Anime has Tsunderes, Danderes, Kuuderes, Kamideres, Himederes, etc, which are all exaggerations of how women actually act. Imagine that! Real role models and hotter more relatable females.

Anime is superior to any other media in my opinion in this aspect. This guy probably thinks it's cool when a "badass" female in Hollywood movies makes grunty faces at the camera, talks in lower octaves(this is true for both genders actually) to convey ALL drama, or play housewives, but in reality these exaggerations in anime are no more unrealistic than male expectations in western movies: My point, is the guy probably couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag and thinks he's cool and can emulate the 2D macho male roles in Hollywood. My response to him would be fuck off. He's obviously triggered/extremely insecure about seeing good female roles in anime, and has no respect for awesome females in real life either because they're way funnier, more relatable, and just plain cooler than he is.

The insecurity around strong females is really obvious with this jackass.
Dec 14, 2016 5:20 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
first of all...

FUCK HIM

Strong female characters are the best, my prefrence, and girls fighting/who can fight are my fetish, ecchi can only make it that much better

maybe this motherfucker should realize that some ppl are really into that.. i mean, thats kinda why those shows get made

i do believe though that there is a stigma against those kinds of characters, but then again, anytime girls body parts fill half the screen ppl start whining
Dec 14, 2016 5:25 PM
Feb 2014
One comment on YouTube=/=The Entire Anime Fandom

If anything they're less hated than any other female character archetype.
Dec 14, 2016 5:30 PM
Aug 2015
JonasTheJay said:

Gonna love how you don't think female characters from fan service shoews don't count

Lol who the real sexist
DoctorSexyDec 14, 2016 5:57 PM
Dec 14, 2016 5:32 PM

Oct 2016
What's more annoying are the people who think all women characters have to be the "STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER" who don't need to no help from no man. *snap snap snap*

Usually those people are the type to label others with sexist and misogynist.
Dec 14, 2016 5:37 PM

Jul 2014
inb4 SJW's lmao

@cherrylover

edit: what have I done :0
Dec 14, 2016 5:51 PM

Aug 2016
Isn't asking for a "Shounen" (a word that literally means "young boy") to be female centric a little silly? Generally these shows are power fantasies for young men, who project themselves onto these shows' powerful heroes and thereby achieve wish fulfillment. Specifically "shounen" action shows, therefore, will probably never have that many female protagonists. A lack of female main characters might also result from the preponderance of males in the industry, but that is just a guess.

But Shounen shows are one thing, and saying that anime fans hate "strong female characters" is another thing entirely. You brought up yourself examples of strong female characters in Anime. Look at Misato, Rei, Asuka, and even Ritsuko from Evangelion, all very memorable, strong, human characters who happen to be female. Other more adult-focused shows like Serial Experiments Lain, Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Psycho Pass, etc. have always had good female characters as part of the main cast (and about half the shows I listed have female protagonists).

So no, I don't think anime fans hate strong female characters. Perhaps some of them from that younger male demographic to whom these Shounen shows are targeted haven't outgrown childish views on gender yet, but I think the community of fans more generally really loves them.
Dec 14, 2016 5:51 PM

Oct 2013
Why use the word hate in the title?
I honestly don't care about the gender so Im not going to demand more female characters for a certain type of genre that I watch
I don't think this is a hate problem I just think for the most part people don't really care enough to change the status quo of things since it doesn't really matter unless its a very personal issue for certain individuals
Dec 14, 2016 6:11 PM
Sep 2015
I preffer strong female mc more than weak one. MC like Revy, Yona, Shiki, are far more interesting than Madoka or other weak female mc.

But also male mc won't work if they're weak and never developed till the very end of the anime, like Shinji. Strong male character were better than the weaker one but i'll prefer smarter one like Kaiji.
Still waiting for Half-Life 3...
Dec 14, 2016 6:19 PM

Aug 2007
OppaiSugoi said:
inb4 SJW's lmao

@cherrylover

edit: what have I done :0

You just brought us a lot of bitching :(
Dec 14, 2016 6:27 PM
Mar 2016
I honestly prefer a strong female lead (or character in general) but I don't mind cute ones unless they're useless, annoying, or solely there for fanservice or just so it wouldn't be a sausage party (which is unfortunately what I see most of the time :/)
Dec 14, 2016 6:48 PM

Nov 2016
Nope, not at all. It can be jarring if the whole fighting half-naked was just an excuse for a lot bounciness or moe but even then, if I don't like it, I don't watch it. What I actually hate with strong female characters is when they aren't i.e. Sakura learning super strength so now she is able to be useful: acquiring a new power =/= character development
Dec 14, 2016 6:51 PM

Aug 2016
Yes i very hate those females character who are stronger than the males unless if the male isnt the main character

Set by SenpieX
Dec 14, 2016 6:59 PM

Dec 2012
Well this one doesn't hate them at all. My favorites are full of physically or mentally strong characters or shows that have them.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Dec 14, 2016 7:00 PM

Nov 2016
I for one really appreciate an anime with strong female characters
I think I enjoyed Claymore as much as I did because it had a strong female lead and other important female characters without a Cinderella complex. It's so rare you get an action show like that where women are in the spotlight (outside of maybe a single character).
Another example of a female character I admire is Kurisu from Steins;Gate -- she's a capable and independent woman who uses her intellect to succeed.
Dec 14, 2016 8:16 PM

Apr 2015
I don't hate those characters at all, i may even prefer strong female characters rather than male, like in black lagoon or Gunnm *-* .
Dec 14, 2016 8:48 PM
Jul 2018
People dislike such things because it defies basic human nature - the sexes are two complimentary halves of a whole, and are not intended to conflict. To use some real world examples: Why do you think it is that females tend to go for jobs that are people oriented (nurses, teachers, secretaries) while men go for object oriented jobs (engineer, mechanics, truck drivers)? Because we have a disposition towards this behaviour, and it's reflected in our taste in entertainment.
Dec 14, 2016 9:18 PM

Jan 2011
People just want their waifus or husband at attempts at good writing is looked as," Boring" or "2 deep 4 me."

You shouldn't ask if they hate strong female characters you should ask if they hate well written and developed characters. I have seen people tell me it doesn't matter how bad the female characters are in harem anime just need to make sure they look good.
MasterHavikDec 15, 2016 5:00 AM
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Dec 14, 2016 9:19 PM

Jan 2011
EcchiLordMamster said:
first of all...

FUCK HIM

Strong female characters are the best, my prefrence, and girls fighting/who can fight are my fetish, ecchi can only make it that much better

maybe this motherfucker should realize that some ppl are really into that.. i mean, thats kinda why those shows get made

i do believe though that there is a stigma against those kinds of characters, but then again, anytime girls body parts fill half the screen ppl start whining
Says the Keijo fan.............

*satima face*

:D
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Dec 14, 2016 9:37 PM
Apr 2016
JonasTheJay said:
...... battle shounen series with female protagonists (fan service shows excluded, so half naked women don't count), there aren't really a whole lot: Claymore, Soul Eater, JoJo Part 6 Stone Ocean and that's pretty much it. .........When it comes to all-female casts, then you really only got Claymore and nothing else. Is there really no demand for series like this?

..... Hxh or One Piece have in reality a relatively broad audience of all genders and ages (especially in Japan). ....... moe manga like K-On are also targeted at guys (either shounen or seinen).

Of course there are some great series with a male MC, that also happen to have good female support characters (for example NGE or Gintama).

From looking at the shows you named, my advice is that you really need to expand your scope outside the shounen fanservice mainstream.

The Nasuverse alone (Fate series, Tsukihime, Kara no Kyoukai) is chock full of strong females who are many times stronger than the male protagonists and tend to be the ones doing the saving.

Saiunkoku Monogatari is about a female protagonist breaking the glass ceiling and entering politics.

Ange from Cross Ange saved the universe with her mech.

Misaka from A Certain Scientific Railgun can destroy almost everything in her path.

Akane from Psycho-Pass single handedly makes the Orwellian government system actually listen to her.

In Blast of Tempest, Aika and Hakaze are the 2 literally strongest people in the world.

And these are just "main characters". If you include strong supporting female characters, you'll get Makise Kurisu (Steins Gate), Kirigiri Kyoko (Danganronpa), Karen (Code Geass) and Rem (Re:Zero).
tlst9999Dec 14, 2016 9:47 PM
Dec 14, 2016 9:56 PM

Sep 2012
I like strong female characters that aren't overly bitchy and try and beat up every person they see be it good or bad.

Terra > Lighting

Come at me
Dec 14, 2016 10:22 PM

May 2012
Some people are still stuck in time....OR that guy is actually a 45 yr old :-P
With the rise of a main female character in all forms of media, it won't be far till people stop getting "distracted"
I believe....it would take just! another generation more till everyone sees an equally strong female MC as normal
Fancy Quote
Anime isn't Life
But what's Life without some Anime, NEEEEEEE!!!!!
Dec 14, 2016 10:30 PM
May 2015
People are just dumb. Dummy u quoted in OP didn't even list a female character or show as an example. Ryuko is more masculine and cool than 95% of battle shonen MCs. Youko from 12 kingdoms pretty much shits on evey action/adventure MC in existence in terms of character development.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 14, 2016 10:42 PM

Nov 2009
EcchiLordMamster said:
first of all...

FUCK HIM

Yeah right!

And speaking of evidence, has somebody mentioned top female characters?
https://myanimelist.net/character.php
Gasai Yuno (#11 overall) is the best fighter of the series, she has the biggest kill count, and she is totally Badass.
Makise Kurisu (#12) isn't like that, it seems. I've yet to finish Steins;Gate.
Aisaka, Taiga (#18) is small, fierce and the best fighter of the series. While remaining moe, because this isn't an anime about fighting.
Senjougahara, Hitagi (#23) - no idea.
Holo (#24) - once again, the strongest fighter in the series that isn't about fighting.
Saber (#27) - It's arguable if she is the strongest, but she's definitely an Epic fighter.
Suzumiya, Haruhi (#32) - no fighting there.
Yuuki, Asuna (#36) - strong fighter and main love interest. I would say her appeal is that she is very feminine, yet very capable, both in a fight and out of it.
Izumi, Konata (#40) - no fighting there.
C.C. (#42) - no idea.
Scarlet, Erza (#43) - the strongest fighter in the series. At least as far as I bothered to watch Fairy Tail.
Akemi, Homura (#44) - strong fighter. No idea if she is the strongest.
Oshino, Shinobu (#46) - no idea.
Lucy (#47) - get a kill count like Yuno in the first half-episode of the series. It probably goes on from there, but I dropped.
Revy (#49) - the strongest fighter in the series and total badass.
Souryuu, Asuka Langley (#50) - she might not be the best EVA pilot, but she's definitely the most hot-blooded one.

Yes, fans love female characters who are good in a fight. There is a lot more of them in the top than in anime as a whole.
Dec 14, 2016 11:05 PM

Aug 2015
Well, some people grow up like that, with gender roles deeply imprinted on their minds. But hey, he's not sexist right?

I like strong female leads, especially mentally strong ones.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

73 by tectacles »»
47 seconds ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - 32 minutes ago

4 by Catalano »»
4 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 8 hours ago

24 by rohan121 »»
9 minutes ago

» What else would be in your Favorites if you had MAL Supporter? (10 additional slots)

IpreferEcchi - 12 hours ago

7 by TRC_Randy »»
13 minutes ago

» The nicest chest you've seen on a male or female character

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

8 by mizukasa »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.